PDA

View Full Version : So Con champs? Who will win now?

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Looks like a jumbled mess to me- Anybody know who wins tiebreakers?

JDC325
November 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
If GSU beats FU and the Citadel beats Elon..........GSU WINS THE SOCON!!!!

Really who would have predicted something like that at the end of last year!!

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
can there be a 4 co-conference champions? or 3 or whatever it will be? anymore than 2 i guess is what im asking. i know only one gets the autobid

ChiefGSU275
November 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Im pretty sure GSU, Furman and App have shared the crown before (99, 00?).

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
yea i think you might be right.......ha ill be happy with that....id be happy if it was an 8 team co-conference champions......as long as we keep the streak alive.

appman111
November 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Assuming App wins out, what has to happen for us to have a share of the title?

eaglesrthe1
Yep, there are no tiebreakers for SoCon champs. Just for the auto-bid.

catamount man
It's been a WILD year no doubt! With Wofford and Elon(if FU can hang on) losing, App will be smelling blood against us and UTC.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Not to be a turd, but I still want to see the SoCon get 4 teams in.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
If GSU beats FU and the Citadel beats Elon..........GSU WINS THE SOCON!!!!

Really who would have predicted something like that at the end of last year!!

Wouldn't Wofford have lose another as well?

eaglewraith
November 3rd, 2007, 04:11 PM

They'd share it, but we'd get the autobid.

We have head to head over Wofford now.

Peems
November 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

No because they have two conference losses and one of them would have been to GSU.

ERASU2113
November 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
They'll split it.

In '05 App and GSU both had one loss. They didn't use a tie breaker to say one SoCon champ...they both were.

4 teams co-champs? Logical or possible? who knows?

Seven Would Be Nice
November 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
No because they have two conference losses and one of them would have been to GSU.

I thought eaglewraith had it right. If we have the same conference record we split the title, but we get the autobid because of the head to head win.

yosef1969
November 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
pretty big "ifs" but no doubt Hatcher is turning things around in Stateboro particularly over the past month.

JDC325
November 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM

xrotatehx yes xrotatehx but we win the tie break (auto bid) then right?

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
If there is a three way tie what is the first tiebreaker for auto bid to playoffs?

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
still got 2 minutes left before any of this talk really matters.....

ERASU2113
It's a cluster to determine automatic...

Elon beat GSU
GSU beat ASU, Wofford
ASU beat Elon
Wofford beat ASU

So I guess GSU would get the automatic? If they took in the seeds...ASU would get in and I guess Wofford?

T-Dog
So if it ends with four teams with two loses. Lets see the records against everyone else

App 1-2 (W - Elon: L - GaSo, Wofford)
Wofford 1-2 (W - App: L - GaSo, Elon)
Elon 2-1 (W - GaSo, Wofford: L - App)
GaSo 2-1 (W - App, Wofford L - Elon)

So under that logic Elon gets the autobid w/ the tiebreaker win against GaSo

ASU88
November 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Elon has now scored 42 points in the 2nd half against Furman.

They are fighting hard. Only about two minutes left, though.

KiddBrewer
furman got the onside kick....

millwoga1
Can u get that game on internet?

T-Dog
November 3rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Vermin recovers onside kick w/ 2 min left.

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
i tried but i couldnt get it to come up, im just transplanting from the official scoreboard thread.

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
dang this is confusing.....im not even sure who im pulling for, until i reread what i wrote, i thought it was a bad thing that furman got the onside kick, as it usually would be.........the socon is one big mess.

T-Dog
Final

Vermin 52
Eloan 49

gophoenix
52-49 final, Furman. Riddle with 534 yards passing, 3 critical INTs two of which were red zone. Our D is struggling with 2nd and 3rd string freshman

Furman D played well the first half to force us out of our game.

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
nice job furman!!!!!

534 yards....dannngg

T-Dog
November 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
I like our chances.

We got UTC and WCU at home.

GaSo has to play Vermin.
Woffy has to go to UTC.
Elon has to go to El Cit.

Even if we don't get the autobid, we'll still get a share more than likely.

drpnut
November 3rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
It seems that Woffy and App have the easiest road at this juncture.

Ga South still has Furman and Colorado St.
Elon still has ElCid and Stony Brook
App has WCU and Chatty
Woffy has Chatty.

I would say GaSouth and App are the hottest right now. Wofford looked good at times in second half. They could be a spoiler in the playoffs, but hey it is the SoCon they still have to beat Chatty.

I don't see Appy tripping up. Ga South could lose to Furman and Elon might drop to the Citadel. I would like to get four teams in the playoffs, and the CAA, Big Sky helped our cause today.

Hold on for the ride.

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I like our chances too, we hold the tiebreaker over you!

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Someone will lose and three will get in. I just hope it's not the T-Dogs!

drpnut
November 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
If Woffy wins next week they are in.

ERASU2113
November 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
ASU will get in I don't see them losing to WCU and Chatt at home.

It's gonna be a wild two weeks. Are ya'll ready for the ride?

drpnut
November 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Woffy went 5-2 and 7-4 last year and was the last team out. The SoCon was not near as tough last year as this one.

Big Sky- 1 team
OVC-1team
Gateway-2 possible three

So I believe SoCon is a lock for three maybe four

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Woffy went 5-2 and 7-4 last year and was the last team out. The SoCon was not near as tough last year as this one.

Big Sky- 1 team
OVC-1team
Gateway-2 possible three

So I believe SoCon is a lock for three maybe four

Sorry Dr P, but the lack of defense won't get the SoCon 4 teams.

Peems
November 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
EWU still has a chance out of the Big Sky...

drpnut
November 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Big Sky-- one team in count on it.

drpnut
November 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Seattle Griz,

The lack of quality wins by anyone other than you will keep the Big Sky to one team -- the Griz

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Seattle Griz,

The lack of quality wins by anyone other than you will keep the Big Sky to one team -- the Griz

Not knocking the SoCon, just pointing out the reality that only APP beat Michigan, not the whole SoCon.

Look at the recent history of the SoCon. Other than App, they haven't done much in the playoffs, and a year of no defense means the SoCon is up?

The OOC schedule for the SoCon is very weak. You only have conference to rely on. I just don't see 4 teams making it.

Appaholic
November 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'd never thought I would see the day where I would be pulling for Vermin and Bellhops at end of season, but I will be their biggest fans next week as they play Ga. South and Elon respectively........don't tell DD, OlFu or Citdog.....xrotatehx .

Eaglesrus
November 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'd never thought I would see the day where I would be pulling for Vermin and Bellhops at end of season, but I will be their biggest fans next week as they play Ga. South and Elon respectively........don't tell DD, OlFu or Citdog.....xrotatehx .

Go Catamounts and Mocs!

B&G
November 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Not knocking the SoCon, just pointing out the reality that only APP beat Michigan, not the whole SoCon.

Look at the recent history of the SoCon. Other than App, they haven't done much in the playoffs, and a year of no defense means the SoCon is up?

The OOC schedule for the SoCon is very weak. You only have conference to rely on. I just don't see 4 teams making it.

ASU also beat N. Arizona who is the #2 team in the Big Sky.

... but I think only three SoCon teams will end up in the playoffs. There's still a long way to go and I think one of the Top 4 will stub their toe.

Millwoch
November 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Well I can tell you who can not win. With our loss today we are out. So you guys minus the phoenix fans need to be bulldogs next week.:)

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
So if it ends with four teams with two loses. Lets see the records against everyone else

App 1-2 (W - Elon: L - GaSo, Wofford)
Wofford 1-2 (W - App: L - GaSo, Elon)
Elon 2-1 (W - GaSo, Wofford: L - App)
GaSo 2-1 (W - App, Wofford L - Elon)

So under that logic Elon gets the autobid w/ the tiebreaker win against GaSo

That's the way I see it too.

Does anyone know for sure how SoCon would determine the auto-bid if its a 4-way tie ??????

WUTNDITWAA
November 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM

A Montana guy talking aobut the SoCon's SOS. Puhl-ease. xrolleyesx

Yeah, I know where I put that hyphen...right before "ease".

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
A Montana guy talking aobut the SoCon's SOS. Puhl-ease. xrolleyesx

Yeah, I know where I put that hyphen...right before "ease".

I said the OOC schedule. Other than Apps victories, what does the SoCon have to thump their chest over?

Georgetown KY
Charleston Southern
W Virginia Wesleyan
Liberty
West Georgia
Webber International
Lenoir-Rhyne
Carson-Newman
Presbyterian

Those teams are not on the same level as the SoCon.

BestOfBreed
November 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I said the OOC schedule. Other than Apps victories, what does the SoCon have to thump their chest over?

Georgetown KY
Charleston Southern
W Virginia Wesleyan
Liberty
West Georgia
Webber International
Lenoir-Rhyne
Carson-Newman
Presbyterian

I guess Cal-Davis and Montana-Western are good teams? (Eastern Washingtons OOC wins). xrolleyesx

WUTNDITWAA
November 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM

Georgetown KY
Charleston Southern
W Virginia Wesleyan
Liberty
West Georgia
Webber International
Lenoir-Rhyne
Carson-Newman
Presbyterian

Jealous Montana couldn't get Webber International? xrulesx

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
I guess Cal-Davis and Montana-Western are good teams? (Eastern Washingtons OOC wins). xrolleyesx

Jealous Montana couldn't get Webber International? xrulesx

You two are missing my point. Other than your conference victories, the SoCons resume is not strong enough to warrant 4 teams.

Apps win is Apps win. Beating them does not mean you are all of a sudden world champions. Their victory does not lend credibility to everyone else in the conference.

That is what I have been saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

SuperEagle
November 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Well I can tell you who can not win. With our loss today we are out. So you guys minus the phoenix fans need to be bulldogs next week.:)

You got it. If you've got a Citadel shirt to loan me I'll gladly wear it this week. GO BULLDOGS!!! What time do you guys play Elon anyway? Will Lawson play? Get a win for my Eagles please :)
Hopefully you'll take care of Elon and we will handle Furman. Then it will be a very nice weekend.

BestOfBreed
November 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
You two are missing my point. Other than your conference victories, the SoCons resume is not strong enough to warrant 4 teams.

Apps win is Apps win. Beating them does not mean you are all of a sudden world champions. Their victory does not lend credibility to everyone else in the conference.

Bring forth the teams with better resumes. For instance, Wofford has beaten 3 teams who were ranked in the top 25 when they played, 2 top 25 losses, and a loss to a BCS school.

ElonPride
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM

hmmm....I guess going into the houses off Wisconsin (El Cid) and USF (Elon) and making them sweat for a win aren't worth a mention.

Sorry, Elon HANDILY beat a conference's BEST team (LU).

Why does Montana even deserve votes for the top position? Seriously why?

I guess coming out with a 21 point win versus Albany and your soft OOC sked warrants it......but maybe I'm being obtuse and missing the point.

No ground to stand on here bud.........

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Bring forth the teams with better resumes. For instance, Wofford has beaten 3 teams who were ranked in the top 25 when they played, 2 top 25 losses, and a loss to a BCS school.

I never said one Big Sky team was better than another SoCon. I said the SoCon won't get 4 teams in the playoffs.

By the way, that weak UC Davis team beat Stanford two years ago as they were coming out of the Div II ranks. They aren't as bad as you think they are.

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
hmmm....I guess going into the houses off Wisconsin (El Cid) and USF (Elon) and making them sweat for a win aren't worth a mention.

I guess coming out with a 21 point win versus Albany and your soft OOC sked warrants it......but maybe I'm being obtuse and missing the point.

Are you guys even reading before you type? This is not about Montana, this is about the SoCon and their belief they will get 4 teams into the playoffs.

ElonPride
November 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Are you guys even reading before you type? This is not about Montana, this is about the SoCon and their belief they will get 4 teams into the playoffs.

Why are you still talking? We're putting points to back our argument, and I guess you're not reading it.

T-Dog
November 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
The only thing close to a "sure thing" with the SoCon and the playoffs is App as they have a two-game homestand with Western and UTC and I REALLY DOUBT that App will lose either. I see Western being a 3 TD win and UTC being a bit tougher but App continuing it momentum and winning that.

Weather could also be a deal as it will be coldre than usual for Western and UTC with a slighty possibility of snow both weeks.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

It really depends on the quality of 8-3 teams left that determines if the SoCon or CAA get 4. That's all that needs to be said.

The problem is, show me who has better OOC measurements that are left who are playoff eligible.... instead of saying "no you guys suck, what have you done" why not go, do some research and come back with something like "Hey, Eastern Illinois did x and Jacksonville St did why or Norfolk St did z"

It's not about what we have or haven't done, it's about the attitude you're taking with it that is getting you this response.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
The only thing close to a "sure thing" with the SoCon and the playoffs is App as they have a two-game homestand with Western and UTC and I REALLY DOUBT that App will lose either. I see Western being a 3 TD win and UTC being a bit tougher but App continuing it momentum and winning that.

Weather could also be a deal as it will be coldre than usual for Western and UTC with a slighty possibility of snow both weeks.

Of course you say that. Why would we expect anything more. But then again, App expected to walk all over everyone in this conference, didn't expect to lose to Wofford or GSU nad during the 2nd week of the season had fans talking about beating NFL teams.

So.... as has been proven in this conference, don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

GreatAppSt
November 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
By the way, that weak UC Davis team beat Stanford two years ago as they were coming out of the Div II ranks.

WTF??xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Does 05 have to do with 07 I've heard of streches but damn.

BTW the SoCons 1996 Marshall squad went undefeated before going to FBS they were better than you think as well.:D xconfusedx :D xconfusedx makes no sense does it.

AppMountaineer13
November 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Of course you say that. Why would we expect anything more. But then again, App expected to walk all over everyone in this conference, didn't expect to lose to Wofford or GSU nad during the 2nd week of the season had fans talking about beating NFL teams.

So.... as has been proven in this conference, don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

To compare WCU and UTC to Wofford and GSU is kind of a stretch, isn't it? xcoffeex

I mean, I'm not sure who wouldn't favor us in either of those games at home. And if Edwards had been healthy and in sync all season, perhaps we would have had better showings against Wofford and GSU. Of course, I shouldn't have to remind you that we didn't need him against the phoenix.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Why are you still talking? We're putting points to back our argument, and I guess you're not reading it.

Alright. *rubs hands together*

First and foremost, my most sincere apologies to my Southern Conference brethren for hijacking this thread, it was not my intent.

Secondly. ElonPride, go back to mopping floors at LabCorp, apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. You haven't put shirt together junior.

Thirdly, The SoCon will not get four teams into the playoffs.

Lastly, if I am wrong, I will start a thread proclaiming I am the worlds largest jackass, and deserve all the beratement heaped upon me.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 01:11 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I've been sitting here watching the SoCon folks do spin control as they watch their precious 4 playoff spots spiral down the drain, but I just have to comment on this post: You are seriously hanging Elon's hat on beating a conference's "best" team in Liberty? I guess Montana can start crowing about beating "a conference's best team" (Albany), huh?

And one final note: When did we start counting moral victories? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Did you happen to see the UMass and UNH scores this afternoon?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

seantaylor
November 4th, 2007, 01:38 AM
GSU is easily the best team in the league once again. And will be forever. But Appy and Elon are nice.

FCS Go!
November 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
GSU is easily the best team in the league once again. And will be forever. But Appy and Elon are nice.

xlolx That made me laugh (in a good way).

Death Dealer
November 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Alright. *rubs hands together*

First and foremost, my most sincere apologies to my Southern Conference brethren for hijacking this thread, it was not my intent.

Secondly. ElonPride, go back to mopping floors at LabCorp, apparently you struggle with reading comprehension. You haven't put shirt together junior.

Thirdly, The SoCon will not get four teams into the playoffs.

Lastly, if I am wrong, I will start a thread proclaiming I am the worlds largest jackass, and deserve all the beratement heaped upon me.
I don't disagree with you. I don't see the SOCON getting in four. But I am gonna be pulling for that with all my heart now just so I can berate you unmercifully! xlolx

Sorry SG, but since we are done with the playoffs, us FU fans are bored and need some entertainment. xnodx xlolx

KJ Eagle
November 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
ASU will get in I don't see them losing to WCU and Chatt at home.

It's gonna be a wild two weeks. Are ya'll ready for the ride?

I didn't see GSU losing to chatty at home either...xbawlingx

The Moody1
November 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM

You lost to Chattanooga at home. That disqualifies any team from being the best team in any league. :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I've been sitting here watching the SoCon folks do spin control as they watch their precious 4 playoff spots spiral down the drain, but I just have to comment on this post: You are seriously hanging Elon's hat on beating a conference's "best" team in Liberty? I guess Montana can start crowing about beating "a conference's best team" (Albany), huh?

And one final note: When did we start counting moral victories? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

Moral victories count when you are talking about SOS and how we do against them. Michigan and Wisconsin are both top 25 teams and so is South Florida (at least for this week, I think).

The Socon has the toughest FBS schedule out of all of the FCS teams (and ten games total). And I'd put the best team from the Big South up against the best from the NEC. If we have 4 teams with 8 or more wins, we will have eight teams in the playoffs.

ElonPride
November 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

You already claim the crown my friend.

Cleets
November 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Who's going to start a thread about the SoCon defense ...
I've seen three SoCon games plus attended one... where both teams scored in the plus 50 point range..!!!

Suspicious (at best) xeyebrowx