PDA

View Full Version : CAA 2023 Off-Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

KPSUL
December 28th, 2022, 12:11 PM
It's time to retire the "CAA Thoughts?" Thread. It has long since worn out its usefulness.

At the start of the 2022 Season I was cautiously optimistic about New Hampshire's chances, but never thought they would do as well as it turned out. The 2023 season looks very different. We've lost very few key players to graduation and have no one of consequence in the portal. (Starters gone: OT Patrick Flynn, WR Brian Espanet, DT Niko Kvietkus, S Pop Bush) Coach Rick Santos has reinvigorated the program and instilled a positive, winning attitude. I see the strategy in who we've signed in the early signing period and UNH has competed more successfully for the recruits they need better than they have in many seasons. The 2023 UNH Wildcats are a serious contender for the Conference Championship and a likely playoff participants with a strong chance of going deeper than the 2nd round.

Thoughts and questions on other CAA Teams? Returning players? The possible effects of portal desertions? Most critical needs by position? Possible coaching changes both actual and desired? Predicted 2023 results?

Prospects for new CAA members NC A&T and Campbell?

Divisional alignment. Is it coming? Why or why not? If it is, what will it look like?

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2022, 12:25 PM
https://www.flofootball.com/articles/10219309-fcs-programs-including-caa-newcomer-campbell-make-signing-day-splash

Blackbear posted this so just bringing it over here

The only number of stars ⭐️ that I’m interested in are the 57 navigational Stars

the big question for now... is the CAA still signed up with Flo next year? I bet the answer is a big yes since Flo is still promoting the league

TribeNomad1
December 28th, 2022, 12:42 PM
https://www.flofootball.com/articles/10219309-fcs-programs-including-caa-newcomer-campbell-make-signing-day-splash

Blackbear posted this so just bringing it over here

The only number of stars ⭐️ that I’m interested in are the 57 navigational Stars

the big question for now... is the CAA still signed up with Flo next year? I bet the answer is a big yes since Flo is still promoting the league

The effing AD's should have been and should be all over the Commish for that joke. I hope he is enjoying the perks he got, as the rest of us are still getting screwed. Talk about leaving your conference on an island........The Commish should be at Rikers Island for that offense.

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2022, 12:55 PM
The effing AD's should have been and should be all over the Commish for that joke. I hope he is enjoying the perks he got, as the rest of us are still getting screwed. Talk about leaving your conference on an island........The Commish should be at Rikers Island for that offense.

Alcatraz locked in a cell with Flo 😩

MR. CHICKEN
December 28th, 2022, 12:55 PM
...WOOD BE INTERESTIN' TA SEE....VIEWERSHIP #'s....(ACCTS.)........FO' FLO........ACROSS DUH CAA...........AWK!

Tribe4SF
December 28th, 2022, 02:13 PM
W&M returns more than enough to be in the hunt for 2023. 48 guys on the two-deep at season end and 41 return along with the punter, long snapper, holder and KR. Only loss to the portal is PK Ethan Chang. Key returnees from injury who missed all of 2022 are OL Marcus Crowell who will step into Colby Sorsdal spot at RT and S David Roulley who should fill for Tye Freeland. Four starters back on OL along with Crowell and all four RBs, QB Wilson and wildcat Hollis Mathis bodes well for continued strong run game. Mathis will reportedly work at WR in spring to expand role. Defense returns significant depth everywhere and has promising redshirts to fill where needed.

As to the new teams I was impressed with Campbell when they came to Williamsburg in week 2 and after they throttled NCCU thought they were on their way to Big South title. They faded significantly as season wore on and ended as an afterthought along with NC A&T. Will be interesting to see how they perform when we visit in week 1.

Sitting Bull
December 28th, 2022, 02:23 PM
I’m most curious on the conference schedule. Other than Richmond and Hampton, I’m still not sure who we will have on the schedule for 2023.

Tribe4SF
December 28th, 2022, 02:40 PM
I’m most curious on the conference schedule. Other than Richmond and Hampton, I’m still not sure who we will have on the schedule for 2023.

We know Campbell as well as it's already scheduled.

WestCoastAggie
December 28th, 2022, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, A&T's newest football coach is revealed Jan 4th. If it who I'm hearing, its a big name.

UNHWildcat18
December 28th, 2022, 06:46 PM
UNH isn’t losing anyone noteworthy to the portal and not really losing anyone to graduation either. We return basically everyone and should be even better than last year.

ncspiderfan
December 28th, 2022, 09:54 PM
Think I posted most of it on the other thread but will put it here. It is all I know of, and I might not have it all right. Scuttlebutt has it of the grads at least three were retiring from football and threw their name out there in case FBS came calling, but I have no idea which ones they were.

9 in portal total, that I know of (8 grads) for Richmond.

1 OL already committed to Syracuse
2 RB Dykes the #1 and Howard the #3
1 DT who was starter (Sac State offer already) but one DT who was starter but injured in fall camp this year appears to be returning for his final year.
3 DB one who was starter or two deep all season to Albany (I think he is the one we have that is non grad) 1 getting FBS looks, and I think a couple of offers one who had only played a few games.
1 TE who was on and off field a lot this year due to injuries to the other TEs and missed a lot of time early in career due to his own injuries.
1 LB starter

Spiders have a commitment from Stony Brook LB Tyler King from portal.
Also have offered DB from UNI Stefan Black II.

QB Udinski and 2 WRs Herres and Henley out of eligibility.

Signed 14 HS on early signing day.

Of course, the biggest transfer of them all is OC Billy Cosh heading to Western Michigan as the OC for FBS team, did not expect to have him long but hoped for more than one season.

OL and DL have good base from two deep, OL might have a couple of year-long injured guys in the mix. WR room had backups in it that would already be starting or in two deep for many in CAA. RB room appears ok.
1 LB had injury at end of year, that might return (not sure), lost one and got one in portal, but young guys look pretty good from two deep. DB was young and will be young again, but all but two from two deep back excepting transfers, I think.
Back up QB from this year they say can sling it and should have at least two years, maybe three.

WestCoastAggie
December 30th, 2022, 01:18 PM
A&T and W&M’s DC Vincent Brown are close to a deal.

Professor
December 30th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Should be the new CAA South

1.A&T
2.Hampton
3.W&M
4.Elon
5.Richmond
6.Townson
7.Campbell

And maybe Delaware

UNHWildcat18
December 30th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Should be the new CAA South

1.A&T
2.Hampton
3.W&M
4.Elon
5.Richmond
6.Townson
7.Campbell

And maybe Delaware

Going to be funny watching UD Nova and Towson Bitch about scheduling..... UD and Nova don't want to split divisions and miss their rivalry game and Towson wants to be in the same side as them. I know you are excited and I know you guys have really improved over the years and might someday go FBS.......but for now this conference size is about as fun as walking blindfolded and barefoot down a hallway full of Legos.... Gonna be an even bigger bitch fest of "well they didn't play" come playoffs next year.

Sitting Bull
December 30th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Going to be funny watching UD Nova and Towson Bitch about scheduling..... UD and Nova don't want to split divisions and miss their rivalry game and Towson wants to be in the same side as them. I know you are excited and I know you guys have really improved over the years and might someday go FBS.......but for now this conference size is about as fun as walking blindfolded and barefoot down a hallway full of Legos.... Gonna be an even bigger bitch fest of "well they didn't play" come playoffs next year.

The implication is that the CAA will split into Divisions. I’m not sure. It could just as easily just be set up in scheduling pods, which would allow better scheduling for the mid Atlantic teams (MD/DE/VA).

This “CAA South” is good for me from a W&M perspective with the caveat that Delaware be included or replace Towson.

It would be interesting to see what our Delaware fans think with the assumption their year end game with Villanova sticks regardless if they are in a North or South.

UNHWildcat18
December 30th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Divisions or pods, this many teams for 1 bid is just stupid.

Sitting Bull
December 30th, 2022, 08:19 PM
Divisions or pods, this many teams for 1 bid is just stupid.

Thats so irrelevant. The SEC gets one bid (FBS bowl playoff). The Big Sky gets one. The MV gets one. The Big 10 gets one. There’s one auto yes but it’s not exclusive to league postseason participation.

All major conferences have set the member targets between 12 and 16. It’s just the new world. I’m glad the CAA is actually proactive that way.

Whats still unclear to me though vs other leagues with 14+, will the CAA split into Divisions (like ACC, SEC, Sunbelt, MAC, etc)? I could see it though it would be interesting where Towson or Delaware get placed.

WestCoastAggie
December 30th, 2022, 11:40 PM
I’d like to see a 4+2+2 scheduling pod instead of true divisions.

Gangtackle11
December 31st, 2022, 10:15 AM
I think U of New-ark would welcome the South & create a rivalry with a team they can beat in November. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Monmouth first team all conference punter headed south to Newark.

William & Mary FG kicker Ethan Chang has been offered

Delaware Defense will have a lot of new faces next year and Carty is putting emphasis on the DL

lots of discussions on the 3 3 5 Defense and that front 3 will need an serious upgrade for that D to work

ncspiderfan
January 6th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Richmond grad DT Ray Eldridge to U Conn

I suspect he is one of the three that was going FBS or move on from football.

Henny
January 7th, 2023, 07:35 AM
Monmouth first team all conference punter headed south to Newark.

William & Mary FG kicker Ethan Chang has been offered

Delaware Defense will have a lot of new faces next year and Carty is putting emphasis on the DL

lots of discussions on the 3 3 5 Defense and that front 3 will need an serious upgrade for that D to work

Recruiting has hit a new level in Newark. Case in point, UD has two commits, Hassan Manning and Todd Williams who both decommitted from Cotton Bowl champ Tulane and now signed with UD.

FUBeAR
January 8th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Here’s a FUBeAR HotTake you CAA Peeps are sure to love…

https://i.imgflip.com/76s9r2.jpg

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2023, 04:12 PM
2023 CAA schedules

https://caasports.com/news/2023/1/10/caa-football-unveils-schedule-for-the-2023-season.aspx

WestCoastAggie
January 10th, 2023, 06:04 PM
Do CAA Schedules come out this early regularly?

KPSUL
January 10th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Do CAA Schedules come out this early regularly?

Way earlier this year than last. It seemed like the CAA was one of the last to announce the 2022 season. Now if they find a way to dump FLO TV and contract with ESPN+ we'll be in good shape.

Dane96
January 10th, 2023, 07:30 PM
The pods were perfectly created. I am very happy with the setup. Kept the New England trio together. Kept the former NEC foes together (Albany, SBU, and Monmouth). They easily could have put Albany, Maine, and UNH together based on geography but the smart move was how it ended up. Kept the stalwarts together with Delaware, Towson, and Villanova. A&T, Campbell, and Elon keep the Carolinas in a pod that should create rivalries. I suppose longtime W&M fans may be unhappy not having Delaware (maybe even 'Nova) as a permanent partner, however keeping the Virginias together makes sense geographically.

- - - Updated - - -

The pods were perfectly created. I am very happy with the setup. Kept the New England trio together. Kept the former NEC foes together (Albany, SBU, and Monmouth). They easily could have put Albany, Maine, and UNH together based on geography but the smart move was how it ended up. Kept the stalwarts together with Delaware, Towson, and Villanova. A&T, Campbell, and Elon keep the Carolinas in a pod that should create rivalries. I suppose longtime W&M fans may be unhappy not having Delaware (maybe even 'Nova) as a permanent partner, however keeping the Virginias together makes sense geographically.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Delaware lands a transfer WR Kim Wimberly from Harvard

All Ivy League player, looks good

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 10th, 2023, 07:56 PM
Some how Maine gets Campbell, Hampton, W & M and Richmond. Can't figure our pod out at all??? Had Monmouth and Nova last year but traded for Campbell and W & M.

KPSUL
January 10th, 2023, 08:09 PM

Did the CAA anounce these Pods somewhere? If so - where can we see them? If not, how did you determine them?

mainejeff
January 10th, 2023, 08:57 PM
Some how Maine gets Campbell, Hampton, W & M and Richmond. Can't figure our pod out at all??? Had Monmouth and Nova last year but traded for Campbell and W & M.

They wanted to let the "Northern" teams (excluding Maine) have an easy travel schedule.

MUHAWKS
January 10th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Monmouth losing- QB Muskett, starting OL to Colorado State, Punter to UDEL, backup RB (Farri) to eastern illinois and a couple other guys who did not play makor roles.

Landed the Sacred Heart QB, Marquez McCray (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4367591/marquez-mccray) who should be the starter. Also got an OL transfer from Illinois, a DL from JMU, LB from Havard and DL from Gannon who is very good.

First actual CAA recruiting class looks decent including landing best rated interior OL from NJ in Chris Moreno from Don Bosco.

Shirden stayed and other than the guy leaving for Colorado state and 1 graduating, we have everyone back on OL.

We lose both WR transfers from last year but both our best two guys (Dymere Miller and Asante Kearney) return.

Our defense was awful as everyone knows but we return mostly everyone and have some decet younger guys. Schedule is below- We should have enough talent to be marginally competitive but we will see how much better the defense gets.. Really a tough call right now, but with the experieced transfer QB coming in, if for some reason we do step up, he should allow us to to miss Muskett too much. I am not overly down or excited yet.

Date Time At Opponent Location Tournament Result

Sep 2 (Sat) TBD Away Florida Atlantic Boca Raton, FL

Sep 9 (Sat) TBD Away Towson Towson, MD

Sep 16 (Sat) TBD Home Campbell West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Sep 23 (Sat) TBD Away Lafayette Easton, PA

Sep 30 (Sat) TBD Home Lehigh West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 14 (Sat) TBD Home Hampton West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 21 (Sat) TBD Away Elon Elon, NC

Oct 28 (Sat) TBD Away William & Mary Williamsburg, VA

Nov 4 (Sat) TBD Home Stony Brook West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 11 (Sat) TBD Home New Hampshire West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 18 (Sat) TBD Away UAlbany Albany, NY

- - - Updated - - -

Monmouth losing- QB Muskett, starting OL to Colorado State, Punter to UDEL, backup RB (Farri) to eastern illinois and a couple other guys who did not play makor roles.

Landed the Sacred Heart QB, Marquez McCray (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4367591/marquez-mccray) who should be the starter. Also got an OL transfer from Illinois, a DL from JMU, LB from Havard and DL from Gannon who is very good.

First actual CAA recruiting class looks decent including landing best rated interior OL from NJ in Chris Moreno from Don Bosco.

Shirden stayed and other than the guy leaving for Colorado state and 1 graduating, we have everyone back on OL.

We lose both WR transfers from last year but both our best two guys (Dymere Miller and Asante Kearney) return.

Our defense was awful as everyone knows but we return mostly everyone and have some decet younger guys. Schedule is below- We should have enough talent to be marginally competitive but we will see how much better the defense gets.. Really a tough call right now, but with the experieced transfer QB coming in, if for some reason we do step up, he should allow us to to miss Muskett too much. I am not overly down or excited yet.

Date Time At Opponent Location Tournament Result

Sep 2 (Sat) TBD Away Florida Atlantic Boca Raton, FL

Sep 9 (Sat) TBD Away Towson Towson, MD

Sep 16 (Sat) TBD Home Campbell West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Sep 23 (Sat) TBD Away Lafayette Easton, PA

Sep 30 (Sat) TBD Home Lehigh West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 14 (Sat) TBD Home Hampton West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 21 (Sat) TBD Away Elon Elon, NC

Oct 28 (Sat) TBD Away William & Mary Williamsburg, VA

Nov 4 (Sat) TBD Home Stony Brook West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 11 (Sat) TBD Home New Hampshire West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 18 (Sat) TBD Away UAlbany Albany, NY

Sitting Bull
January 10th, 2023, 09:33 PM
Did the CAA anounce these Pods somewhere? If so - where can we see them? If not, how did you determine them?

There was a breakdown on another thread. In short, there are 5 pods of 3 each. So you only have guaranteed 2 certain annual games. The other 6 games I guess are plucked from the other four pods. Im not sure if there’s actually a condition of at least one from each pod.

The pods of three:
Maine, UNH, URI
UAlbany, SBU, Monmouth
Villanova, Delaware, Towson
W&M, Richmond, Hampton
Elon, Campbell, NC A&T

MR. CHICKEN
January 11th, 2023, 07:01 AM
....PER NEWS JOURNAL.....(NO LINK-PAYWALLL)..........YOU WILL PLAY EACH TEAM IN YOUR POD EVERY SEASON........OTHER SIX CONFERENCE GAMES WILL ROTATE ANNUALLY.....SO THAT ALL TEAMS MEET EACH OTHER.......AT LEAST ONCE @ HOME & ONCE AWAY........OVER AN EIGHT YEAR PERIOD...........BRAWK!

UNHWildcat18
January 11th, 2023, 08:12 AM
....PER NEWS JOURNAL.....(NO LINK-PAYWALLL)..........YOU WILL PLAY EACH TEAM IN YOUR POD EVERY SEASON........OTHER SIX CONFERENCE GAMES WILL ROTATE ANNUALLY.....SO THAT ALL TEAMS MEET EACH OTHER.......AT LEAST ONCE @ HOME & ONCE AWAY........OVER AN EIGHT YEAR PERIOD...........BRAWK!

over 8 years lol, so ****ty IMHO. Can't wait for everyone to bitch next year if UNH does well but didn't play Richmond Elon or W&M...........

MR. CHICKEN
January 11th, 2023, 08:19 AM
..........AH'D GUESS....IT'S POSSIBLE TA GO 6 YEARS....B/4......MEETIN' UP.......WITH A TEAM.....IN YEAR 7 & 8........xconfusedx........AWK!

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2023, 09:01 AM
over 8 years lol, so ****ty IMHO. Can't wait for everyone to bitch next year if UNH does well but didn't play Richmond Elon or W&M...........

Why wait til next year 😂

UNHWildcat18
January 11th, 2023, 09:09 AM
Why wait til next year 

xlolx I am happy we play you guys next year though. Should be a really good matchup.

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2023, 09:58 AM
xlolx I am happy we play you guys next year though. Should be a really good matchup.

I agree

UNH comes to Newark very infrequently

KPSUL
January 11th, 2023, 10:54 AM
I agree

UNH comes to Newark very infrequently

Really? It seems like I've been to the Tub twice in the past 6 years - most recently 2019.

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Really? It seems like I've been to the Tub twice in the past 6 years - most recently 2019.

what seems to me ain't really what it is

ccd494
January 11th, 2023, 11:52 AM
Out of pod road games for NE/NY teams:

Maine: W&M, Richmond, Campbell
New Hampshire: Delaware, Stony Brook, Monmouth
Rhode Island: Villanova, Albany, Towson
Albany: Maine, New Hampshire, Towson
Stony Brook: Rhode Island, Maine, Villanova

Cool.

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Cool.

Maine did beat Georgia Southern down in the heat and humidity once right ?

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Nope …and the humidity was only 40% - less than 1/2 of the normal humidity in StinkBurro, GA

MAINE VS. GEORGIA SOUTHERN

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Maine

Georgia Southern

DATE: 9/7/2019 SITE: Statesboro, Ga. STADIUM: Allen E. Paulson ATTENDANCE: 17202KICKOFF TIME: 6:05 pm END OF GAME: 9:20 pm DURATION: 3:15 TEMPERATURE: 94 deg WIND: SW 4mph WEATHER: Sunny, 40% rh

Sitting Bull
January 11th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Cool.

I wonder if the Maine AD voiced any issue? It looks like all the others have primarily bus trips on the OOC road games. Outside UAlbany, I noticed same for W&M schedule.

Just curious though how many conference bus trips are there from Bangor? That could be the issue. If you would have to fly to Monmouth and all points south anyway, maybe the thought was no difference if you’re flying to Philly, Richmond or Norfolk. Maybe the league pitched in or maybe the hosting schools are helping on the travel.

Even stranger, Maine didn’t mince on the OOC travel either, scheduling games in Florida and North Dakota.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 11th, 2023, 01:12 PM

They did beat Mississippi State about 15-20 years ago.

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2023, 02:04 PM
They did beat Mississippi State about 15-20 years ago.

yes and it was Appalachia St the beat, not Statesboro State

dunbar
January 11th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Maine just hired a new AD who doesn't start until the end of the month. The reality is that Maine does fly everywhere south of NYC. With Rhode Island, Albany, and Stony Brook coming to Orono this year and a trip to New Hampshire, every other conference road trip was going to be a flight anyways. I guess there's more of an issue not playing any of the Mid-Atlantic teams (Monmouth, Delaware, Villanova, Towson) than anything else. The condensed home slate (five games between 9/16 and 11/4) and a bye leading into the trip to Durham is a plus in my mind.

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 03:09 PM
yes and it was Appalachia St the beat, not Statesboro State
Yep - by 1 point…in late November…in a ski area…in this weather…

Daily Observations

Time

Temperature

Dew Point

Humidity

Wind

Wind Speed

Wind Gust

Pressure

Precip.

Condition

12:53 PM
51 °F
0 °F
48 %
W
23 mph
31 mph
28.04 in
0.0 in
Mostly Cloudy / Windy

1:53 PM
52 °F
25 °F
35 %
W
22 mph
36 mph
28.04 in
0.0 in
Mostly Cloudy / Windy

2:53 PM
52 °F
26 °F
37 %
W
17 mph
28 mph
28.07 in
0.0 in
Partly Cloudy

3:53 PM
47 °F
20 °F
34 %
W
21 mph
33 mph
28.12 in
0.0 in
Fair / Windy

MR. CHICKEN
January 11th, 2023, 03:58 PM
FOOBIE "YEP BAH 1 POINT".......2002........ (NO REPLY WHIFF QUOTE)....AWK!

DON'Y FO'GET 2011.......34-12.......BRAWK!

KPSUL
January 11th, 2023, 04:34 PM

No, but New Hampshire is 2-0 vs Georgia Southern; UNH won once in a 1AA playoff game and once after they were FBS.

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 04:38 PM
FOOBIE "YEP BAH 1 POINT".......2002........ (NO REPLY WHIFF QUOTE)....AWK!

DON'Y FO'GET 2011.......34-12.......BRAWK!
Mr. Chicken. - FUBeAR is having so much trouble posting these days that you should take everything you see from him as if it comes from some sort of maniacal birdbrain…um…no offense.

ccd494
January 11th, 2023, 04:38 PM
My issue is less winning and more that Maine recruits the mid-Atlantic heavily and doesn't play there once. Also, and I say this with the most respect possible, I couldn't give less of a **** about Maine ever playing Campbell.

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 05:07 PM
I say this with the most respect possible, I couldn't give less of a **** about Maine ever playing Campbell.Tell us you don’t know anything about Eastern North Carolina BBQ without telling us you don’t know anything about Eastern North Carolina BBQ.

ccd494
January 11th, 2023, 06:42 PM
I went to grad school in NC.

But, if you think more than 0 non-parents are travelling from Maine to North Carolina to watch Maine play Campbell you're very mistaken.

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2023, 07:03 PM
I went to grad school in NC.

But, if you think more than 0 non-parents are travelling from Maine to North Carolina to watch Maine play Campbell you're very mistaken.
Where in NC? Not all BBQ in NC is Eastern NC BBQ.

And, if they / y’all don’t wanna come, it’s their / y’all’s loss…

https://twitter.com/wilbersbbq/status/1435617606392848401

mainejeff
January 11th, 2023, 08:01 PM
Maine just hired a new AD who doesn't start until the end of the month. The reality is that Maine does fly everywhere south of NYC. With Rhode Island, Albany, and Stony Brook coming to Orono this year and a trip to New Hampshire, every other conference road trip was going to be a flight anyways. I guess there's more of an issue not playing any of the Mid-Atlantic teams (Monmouth, Delaware, Villanova, Towson) than anything else. The condensed home slate (five games between 9/16 and 11/4) and a bye leading into the trip to Durham is a plus in my mind.

Yup....fertile recruiting grounds and more natural interest for Maine fans.....and we ain't playing one of them. Oh well....maybe next year.

mainejeff
January 11th, 2023, 08:03 PM
My issue is less winning and more that Maine recruits the mid-Atlantic heavily and doesn't play there once. Also, and I say this with the most respect possible, I couldn't give less of a **** about Maine ever playing Campbell.

Amen.

Tribe4SF
January 12th, 2023, 08:09 AM
In terms of stress on a team and its players Maine would likely prefer a couple of extra flights as opposed to a bus trip to Albany which is 400 miles from Orono. Even with no traffic issues that's over 6 hours. There will never be an easy travel schedule for the Black Bears as only UNH and URI are manageable bus trips.

ncspiderfan
January 12th, 2023, 08:30 AM

Probably will never matter again.

It is what it is I guess, but at a quick glance I do not see any schedule that gets any team playoff ready.
I do see about four 10-1 and 9-2 teams. Heck Spiders only play two of last year's playoff teams unless I missed one, they played them all last year. They do pick up Rhody, but miss Nova, who they also had last year.

I see 8-3 CAA teams left out at first glance.

Hope I am wrong.

caribbeanhen
January 21st, 2023, 06:49 AM
Delaware lands a transfer WR Kim Wimberly from Harvard

All Ivy League player, looks good

Delaware gets another WR commit

Jojo Bermudez from Cincinnati
DNP as true freshman
4 years of eligibility

The Hens are going to be deep at WR position in 2023

Chandler Harvin coming back for final year

Jayln Witcher was a Freshman All American out of Presby who transferred to Delaware after 2021 and red shirted in 2022

Jordan Townsend coming back

Brett Buckman a possession type with good hands is back

Nolan Henderson is moving on so the QB job is open

QB Zach Marker, A JUCO transfer from an Iowa school is in Newark... he will compete with Ryan O'Conner for the starting job that appears to be wide open

etiger
January 21st, 2023, 08:10 AM
Going to be a very exciting season for Towson. New coaching staff....Getting some transfers as of today -
Campbell DB - Mike Swain Jr.
Missouri Western State DL - Tylen Wallace
Coffeville JC LB - Alijah Bivens
University of West Florida K - Aden Williams
Arkansas Pine Bluff DL - RJ Evans
Liberty QB - Sean Brown

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2023, 08:21 AM
...ALL DUH SKILLS FO' NAUGHT........WHIFF-OUT...DUH WOOLY MAMMOTHS........:(.......BRAWK!

Tribe4SF
January 21st, 2023, 10:42 AM
...ALL DUH SKILLS FO' NAUGHT........WHIFF-OUT...DUH WOOLY MAMMOTHS........:(.......BRAWK!

Can usually follow you, my barnyard buddy, but what?

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2023, 10:56 AM
Can usually follow you, my barnyard buddy, but what?

......ROLY POLY'S............BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
January 21st, 2023, 11:16 AM
Mr C is saying he’s not that impressed with Carty going after more skill positions like WR and Delaware needs to focus on OL and DL if the want to win big playoff games in Brookings SD and Bozeman Mt places

KPSUL
January 26th, 2023, 08:54 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Carty's stock is falling. Looks like he's getting a bit desperate and playing the short game.

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2023, 09:14 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Carty's stock is falling. Looks like he's getting a bit desperate and playing the short game.

How so?

Udforever
January 26th, 2023, 09:20 AM
- - - Updated - - -

This has to be a troll post, right?

KPSUL
January 26th, 2023, 06:30 PM
How so?

Mr Chicken is the bellwether of the Blue Hen flock, we need to listen to his sage wisdom. After a great win over Navy, The Carty led Hens were at least a moderate disappointment going 4-4 in the Conference. Can you say you were satisfied? He's hitting the portal pretty hard rather than focusing on player development - I'd call that the short game.

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Mr Chicken is the bellwether of the Blue Hen flock, we need to listen to his sage wisdom. After a great win over Navy, The Carty led Hens were at least a moderate disappointment going 4-4 in the Conference. Can you say you were satisfied? He's hitting the portal pretty hard rather than focusing on player development - I'd call that the short game.

Don't you think trying to call him out after his first year is kind of ridiculous 😂

hitting the portal hard is exactly what he needs to do, he’s smart enough to know it’s about talent. The kind of talent that he helped recruit for Keeler at Sam Houston was not in Newark when he arrived. He’s been working on upgrades since day 1.

Developing players? We’re going to find out soon enough

Mr C hit on valid concern about DL / OL, Hen fans have watched South Dakota State dominate our lines in the playoffs twice in 2 years now. Need to upgrade on both sides

Delaware is putting together a nice recruiting class too....

Udforever
January 26th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Currently UD has 14 recruits signed, a bunch with multiple FBS offers, with a few more to be signed next week. They have 8 transfers. Far from a short game.

KPSUL
January 26th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Don't you think trying to call him out after his first year is kind of ridiculous 

hitting the portal hard is exactly what he needs to do, he’s smart enough to know it’s about talent. The kind of talent that he helped recruit for Keeler at Sam Houston was not in Newark when he arrived. He’s been working on upgrades since day 1.

Mr C hit on valid concern about DL / OL, Hen fans have watched South Dakota State dominate our lines in the playoffs twice in 2 years now. Need to upgrade on both sides

Saying his stock is falling is hardly "calling him out". But let's face it, Blue Hen nation is not known for it's patience with Head Coaches, so yeah I'd say it is very likely that the unbridled enthusiasm expressed pre-season for Ryan Carty has waned quite a bit. After pre and early season Threads such as "Why not Delaware?"are you saying now that you weren't disappointed with a 4-4 conference record?

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Saying his stock is falling is hardly "calling him out". But let's face it, Blue Hen nation is not known for it's patience with Head Coaches, so yeah I'd say it is very likely that the unbridled enthusiasm expressed pre-season for Ryan Carty has waned quite a bit. After pre and early season Threads such as "Why not Delaware?"are you saying now that you weren't disappointed with a 4-4 conference record?

you only read the title of the thread..

Why not Delaware was about the next era of CAA football
it was about filling the void that JMU left and becoming the perennial team to beat in the CAA
It was about the upgrades in facilities

Delaware is in a good position to do just that ... check out the WAC and what kind of transfers Delaware is getting

Henny
January 27th, 2023, 08:26 AM
No one is disputing that Carty made some rookie head coaching mistakes that led to some losses. However, Carty's stock isn't dropping according to almost all Delaware fans.

His biggest error was not having a reliable kicker which he addressed this off season. He's also brought in, transfers and freshmen, that, on paper, are the most talented this program has ever had.

ncspiderfan
January 27th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Don't you think trying to call him out after his first year is kind of ridiculous 

Rocco seemed not to be a great recruiter of lineman.

Took Spiders a while to re-build OL and to some degree DL but strong DL coach coming out of retirement and returning to Spiders saved that group, he has since retired again, but both groups appear to still have good coaching now.
Just from outside looking in, Carty seems to good enough to build back Hen's OL and DL rooms given a year or two.

Henny mentions later in this thread you guys getting a kicker. I watched a few of Hen's games last year and that was a problem, so the new one should help greatly. If Hen's had either of Spiders kickers last year, they win that match-up and the Spiders stay home for the playoffs at 7-4 due to not having an FBS win. I put in another thread we have lose one of them in portal after graduating this May to Charlotte.

caribbeanhen
January 27th, 2023, 09:56 PM
Rocco seemed not to be a great recruiter of lineman.

Took Spiders a while to re-build OL and to some degree DL but strong DL coach coming out of retirement and returning to Spiders saved that group, he has since retired again, but both groups appear to still have good coaching now.
Just from outside looking in, Carty seems to good enough to build back Hen's OL and DL rooms given a year or two.

Henny mentions later in this thread you guys getting a kicker. I watched a few of Hen's games last year and that was a problem, so the new one should help greatly. If Hen's had either of Spiders kickers last year, they win that match-up and the Spiders stay home for the playoffs at 7-4 due to not having an FBS win. I put in another thread we have lose one of them in portal after graduating this May to Charlotte.

Spider you’re quickly becoming the voice of reason on here...

The last 2 Minutes of the Delaware Richmond game was something you had to see to believe and you make an interesting point that had Richmond lost, most likely no playoffs. Ironic that a CAA team that almost didn’t make playoffs went out to Sacramento and played great against a top 5 team but a bad call and a slippery ball, let it slip away.

EF Henny ... listen closely when he posts ... not sure if you’re old enough to get that ...

UNH72Plus
January 28th, 2023, 09:46 PM
I think they have a 3 star DL Keshawn Hunter through the portal

Henny
January 29th, 2023, 07:34 AM
I think they have a 3 star DL Keshawn Hunter through the portal

Correct, along with two JC's at DEnd. It's a totally different world with UD recruiting.

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Correct, along with two JC's at DEnd. It's a totally different world with UD recruiting.

like you predicted Henny, The WAC seems to be helping with recruiting

DL Hunter transferred from ODU

DB Tyron Herring from Dartmouth is also a Hen

Hens lose a lot on what was a good Defense and Carty and staff have been very aggressive going after defense. Will have to gel quick with all the new players

caribbeanhen
January 31st, 2023, 08:08 AM
Of interest to some, the son of Lavar Arrington will be at Delaware this fall

He definitely has good bloodlines but started football late so we’ll see

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2023/01/31/penn-state-nfl-star-lavar-arringtons-son-keeno-joins-delaware/69841105007/

KPSUL
January 31st, 2023, 04:56 PM
Of interest to some, the son of Lavar Arrington will be at Delaware this fall

He definitely has good bloodlines but started football late so we’ll see

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2023/01/31/penn-state-nfl-star-lavar-arringtons-son-keeno-joins-delaware/69841105007/

You guys are going to need to build a locker room annex soon.

caribbeanhen
February 2nd, 2023, 11:14 AM
You guys are going to need to build a locker room annex soon.

probably already built

How did the Santos recruiting class shakeout?

FUBeAR
February 6th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Dang Mr. Chicken and CHen can’t develop their own, so they done took to stealin’ fine Cocks from FUBeAR’s farm.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-delaware-bolstering-defensive-staff-with-former-clemson-star-furman-assistant

caribbeanhen
February 6th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Dang Mr. Chicken and CHen can’t develop their own, so they done took to stealin’ fine Cocks from FUBeAR’s farm.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-delaware-bolstering-defensive-staff-with-former-clemson-star-furman-assistant

Corico sounds like he has the Wright stuff

FUBeAR
February 6th, 2023, 08:41 PM
Corico sounds like he has the Wright stuff

He is a good man & has done an exceptional job with Furman’s Safeties…

DEFENSIVE

#
Player
GP
Solo
ASST
TOT
TFL-YDS
Sacks-YDS
INT
BU
QBH
FR
FF
KICK
SAF

Ryan, Hugh
1.5-6
0-0

Brinson, Kam
6.5-20
0-0

…the Paladins are just a little top-heavy on the Defensive Coaching Staff right now and don’t think they had room for him to grow into the role Delaware offered. Hate he left, but wish him the best.

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2023, 07:44 AM
He is a good man & has done an exceptional job with Furman’s Safeties…

DEFENSIVE

#
Player
GP
Solo
ASST
TOT
TFL-YDS
Sacks-YDS
INT
BU
QBH
FR
FF
KICK
SAF

Ryan, Hugh
1.5-6
0-0

Brinson, Kam
6.5-20
0-0

…the Paladins are just a little top-heavy on the Defensive Coaching Staff right now and don’t think they had room for him to grow into the role Delaware offered. Hate he left, but wish him the best.

Most likely getting a pay raise as well

The Delaware Defense is in rebuild mode as I think only one starter is returning and maybe 3 or 4 others with any real playing time

So Mr Wright is gonna be busy

PaladinNation
February 7th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Most likely getting a pay raise as well

The Delaware Defense is in rebuild mode as I think only one starter is returning and maybe 3 or 4 others with any real playing time

So Mr Wright is gonna be busy

Maybe, but not as much as you may think.
Clay Hendrix has a couple of million dollar gifts to use to help with coaching compensation.
Clay has mentioned several times in the past - he's always open to help his coaches move up and onward. The Furman coaching tree is fertile. My guess is Wright's move has more to do with FuBear's posted point.

Good luck to Coach Wright, I know the players liked playing for him.

FUBeAR
February 7th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Maybe, but not as much as you may think.
Clay Hendrix has a couple of million dollar gifts to use to help with coaching compensation.
Clay has mentioned several times in the past - he's always open to help his coaches move up and onward. The Furman coaching tree is fertile. My guess is Wright's move has more to do with FuBear's posted point.

Good luck to Coach Wright, I know the players liked playing for him.Yeah - was gonna mention that, but then remembered the inferiority complex that people from the small town of Delaware have and decided it wasn’t worth the effort.

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Yeah - was gonna mention that, but then remembered the inferiority complex that people from the small town of Delaware have and decided it wasn’t worth the effort.

Nah, The inferiority lives within the urbanites who couldn’t live with themselves if they were living in or from a small town.... the shame the shame 😂

If We ever get outta here ....

KPSUL
February 7th, 2023, 04:15 PM
probably already built

How did the Santos recruiting class shakeout?

Who knows, they all look like future all CAA players in their Hudl Videos. Of course they are playing against HS talent. We graduated 14 and signed 14, and pretty well focused on what we'll need soonest. I thought the most promising guy in terms of making an immediately impact was a WR from Div 3 Wesleyan. Plays a lot like Brian Espanet who graduates this year.

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Who knows, they all look like future all CAA players in their Hudl Videos. Of course they are playing against HS talent. We graduated 14 and signed 14, and pretty well focused on what we'll need soonest. I thought the most promising guy in terms of making an immediately impact was a WR from Div 3 Wesleyan. Plays a lot like Brian Espanet who graduates this year.

Yea the trick is learning how to superimpose CAA defenses over those high school clips

I actually try to do that in my head, haven't perfected it yet but have had some success

Tribe4SF
February 7th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Yea the trick is learning how to superimpose CAA defenses over those high school clips

I actually try to do that in my head, haven't perfected it yet but have had some success

Easier to do when they've played against very good competition in high school. As the Hens know, if a kid played in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference their film shows them against really good competition just about every week.

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Easier to do when they've played against very good competition in high school. As the Hens know, if a kid played in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference their film shows them against really good competition just about every week.

Im pretty clueless on high school football conferences

Washington Catholic Athletic Conference?

Tribe4SF
February 7th, 2023, 05:53 PM
Im pretty clueless on high school football conferences

Washington Catholic Athletic Conference?

Dematha, St. John's, Good Council, Bishop McNamara, etc. True as well for the league in Jersey with Don Bosco, St. Peter's prep, etc. Many D-I recruits every year.

Washington Catholic Athletic Conference Athletics (wcacsports.com) (https://www.wcacsports.com/sports/fball/index)

caribbeanhen
February 7th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Dematha, St. John's, Good Council, Bishop McNamara, etc. True as well for the league in Jersey with Don Bosco, St. Peter's prep, etc. Many D-I recruits every year.

good stuff thanks

Ryan Carty is from NJ and has a pipeline into Don Bosco

Nick Minicucci
QB | 6-2 | 205
Midland Park, N.J. / Don Bosco

caribbeanhen
February 8th, 2023, 10:13 AM
Delaware offered
4 Star ⭐️ out of New Jersey HS
https://purduesports.com/images/2022/7/29/20220713_AS_0018158.JPG?width=146
1 MichaelAlaimo

Class:Redshirt Sophomore
Position:QB
Height:6-4
Weight:225
Hometown:Montvale, N.J.
Highschool:St. Joseph Regional

Summary (https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/michael-alaimo/11348#sidearm-roster-player-summary)
Media (https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/michael-alaimo/11348#sidearm-roster-player-related)
Season (https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/michael-alaimo/11348#sidearm-roster-player-stats)
Career (https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/michael-alaimo/11348#sidearm-roster-player-career-stats)
Historical (https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/michael-alaimo/11348#sidearm-roster-player-historical)

Summary2021
• Appeared in one game, making collegiate debut in Purdue’s win over UConn (Sept. 4)

• Did not play.

HIGH SCHOOL
• Four-star recruit by ESPN.

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Dematha, St. John's, Good Counsel, Bishop McNamara, etc... Many D-I recruits every year.

Almost none stay local, however.

Anthony215
February 8th, 2023, 01:35 PM
My sons team played against St. Johns to open the season and they destroyed us mainly on the lines en route to a 42-0 win over us. Their team was filled with many underclassmen with P5 offers. They're legit and should be playing a national schedule lol.

caribbeanhen
February 8th, 2023, 02:32 PM
My sons team played against St. Johns to open the season and they destroyed us mainly on the lines en route to a 42-0 win over us. Their team was filled with many underclassmen with P5 offers. They're legit and should be playing a national schedule lol.

Middletown

bonarae
February 8th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Almost none stay local, however.

Ditto for many other upper-class prep / athletic leagues, e.g. the likes where Marin Catholic, New Trier, etc. belong.

FUBeAR
February 8th, 2023, 07:13 PM
Ugh - this young man sure looked better in The Purple than he does in that ugly blue and yella

https://twitter.com/delaware_fb/status/1623458304088473600

caribbeanhen
February 8th, 2023, 09:51 PM
Ugh - this young man sure looked better in The Purple than he does in that ugly blue and yella

https://twitter.com/delaware_fb/status/1623458304088473600

Calico Skies

Welcome to Delaware!

caribbeanhen
February 9th, 2023, 10:19 AM
https://caasports.com/news/2023/2/9/football-caa-announces-comprehensive-media-rights-agreement-with-cbs-sports-and-flosports.aspx

CAA renews with Flo Sports

To all those who want to complain....take a number

Nobody outside of CAA fans are watching CAA football on Flo

FUBeAR
February 9th, 2023, 10:37 AM
https://caasports.com/news/2023/2/9/football-caa-announces-comprehensive-media-rights-agreement-with-cbs-sports-and-flosports.aspx

CAA renews with Flo Sports

To all those who want to complain....take a number

Nobody outside of CAA fans are watching CAA football on Flo
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/more-years-campaign-quotes-political-presidential-election-donald-trump-vector-file-eps-available-194763073.jpg

caribbeanhen
February 9th, 2023, 10:44 AM
“The contract includes new requirements that will enhance the quality of broadcasts across all streamed sporting events.”

At least they have recognized the product has limitations

Note to the camera guy at Maine - the ballon has been shot down, stop looking for it

UNHWildcat18
February 9th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Such an absolute ****ing joke

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 9th, 2023, 12:13 PM
“The contract includes new requirements that will enhance the quality of broadcasts across all streamed sporting events.”

Note to the camera guy at Maine - the ballon has been shot down, stop looking for it

Never had anymore issues with Maine broadcasts than other schools, must be when we play the hensxnodx

We just wanted to be like everyone else and use ESPN+, but let's pay double for a fraction of the service.xsmhx

ElonFirefighter
February 9th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Give the guy a break, he's just used to looking up at the rest of the conference from the cellar

UNHWildcat18
February 9th, 2023, 02:12 PM
Give the guy a break, he's just used to looking up at the rest of the conference from the cellar
Says the basement dweller 7/10 seasons in the league…..

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 9th, 2023, 08:36 PM

And the last time Elon made it to the final 4 was when???

caribbeanhen
February 9th, 2023, 08:43 PM
And the last time Elon made it to the final 4 was when???

now now I was just making fun of the camera work... Thought I was back on the Drakes passage with all the Motion.... and it’s not just the Maine games...

bonarae
February 9th, 2023, 10:08 PM
Do you think the CAA is allergic to ESPN or had a traumatic experience with them before?

MR. CHICKEN
February 10th, 2023, 07:50 AM
FLO = 🎥😱🤮💩

MR. CHICKEN
February 10th, 2023, 08:12 AM

🏝 = ⌚️🚗 💵

caribbeanhen
February 10th, 2023, 09:08 AM
...WOOD BE INTERESTIN' TA SEE....VIEWERSHIP #'s....(ACCTS.)........FO' FLO........ACROSS DUH CAA...........AWK!

Probably not much to see Mr C...

but I would be interested as well

I bet Puerto Rico has as many subscribers as

Hampton
Rhode Island

Henny
February 10th, 2023, 02:11 PM
You have to wonder what precludes the CAA from partnering with ESPN like every other conference in division one.

Sitting Bull
February 10th, 2023, 02:30 PM
They might insist we play our games on Thursday mornings and our championship game at midnight, 3 days after the semifinals.

Seriously though, you have to believe it’s money related, some upside to the league and schools. That plus as you note, everyone else is on ESPN but only the big boys are on the blue chip channels you can pick up anywhere. Being on ESPN 3 is not huge exposure and you pay for it.

caribbeanhen
February 10th, 2023, 02:51 PM
They might insist we play our games on Thursday mornings and our championship game at midnight, 3 days after the semifinals.

Seriously though, you have to believe it’s money related, some upside to the league and schools. That plus as you note, everyone else is on ESPN but only the big boys are on the blue chip channels you can pick up anywhere. Being on ESPN 3 is not huge exposure and you pay for it.

it might not be a huge difference but for the AGS poll, the mid-westerners openly admitted they hadn’t watched a CAA game all year. Kind of explains some weird opinions. ESPN + would at least get us some more exposure with other FCS fans

TribeNomad1
February 10th, 2023, 03:53 PM
it might not be a huge difference but for the AGS poll, the mid-westerners openly admitted they hadn’t watched a CAA game all year. Kind of explains some weird opinions. ESPN + would at least get us some more exposure with other FCS fans

Esp. sucked for us after having a really good season, then only game many saw was our debacle at the skating rink.

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Our opening game against Charlotte, one of our better games, was featured on ESPN+ (as was the game at Lafayette). So if the midwesterners didn’t see us, I’m not sure the media choice made any difference.

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Our opening game against Charlotte…was featured on ESPN+FUBeAR tried to watch - too much green. Became nauseous and had to tune out.

caribbeanhen
February 11th, 2023, 10:32 AM
Our opening game against Charlotte, one of our better games, was featured on ESPN+ (as was the game at Lafayette). So if the midwesterners didn’t see us, I’m not sure the media choice made any difference.

I saw your game vs Charlotte... Yoder

Unfortunately the Abominable Ice man beating is what the Tribe season will be remembered for in FCS lure

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 10:46 AM
FUBeAR tried to watch - too much green. Became nauseous and had to tune out.

Except we wore white.

But purple…that’s a tough one in any environment.

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Except we wore white.

But purple…that’s a tough one in any environment.
Oh, you’re right. No green to see here. Those new Tribe white helmets and gold numbers on the jerseys are awesome!

https://wfnz.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/86/2022/11/1668647749356.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1024&crop=0,0,100,683px

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately the Abominable Ice man beating is what the Tribe season will be remembered for in FCS lure

Nah. If it was the only playoff game, it would for me. We had a 54-14 beat down on opening round the weekend before so I’m not all that wrapped up in the Montana State debacle. I actually attended and despite the score, MSU is such an impressive FCS atmosphere. It was awesome, as was Bozeman. That along with the CAA championship is how I will remember the season.

Oh yes, and the opener at Charlotte. A beautiful evening and an exciting FBS win.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqlTI__KLM&list=LL&index=5

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2023, 10:59 AM

Hmmm…yeah, but it’s the #5 FCS Playoffs Seeded CAA Champion’s Home game vs. Elon for FUBeAR…

https://tribeathletics.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/elon_logo.png&width=150&height=12035 vshttps://tribeathletics.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/site/site.png&width=150&height=12031

ELON -VS- WILLIAM & MARY

Team
F

ELON

W&M

…oh…and this one…

https://furmanpaladins.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/elon_logo.png&width=150&height=1206 vshttps://furmanpaladins.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/site/site.png&width=150&height=12031

ELON -VS- FURMAN

Team
F

ELON

FURMAN

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Hmmm…yeah, but it’s the #5 FCS Playoffs Seeded CAA Champion’s Home game vs. Elon for FUBeAR…

https://tribeathletics.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/elon_logo.png&width=150&height=12035 vshttps://tribeathletics.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/site/site.png&width=150&height=12031

ELON -VS- WILLIAM & MARY

Team
F

ELON

W&M

…oh…and this one…

https://furmanpaladins.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/elon_logo.png&width=150&height=1206 vshttps://furmanpaladins.com/services/logo_handler.ashx?image_path=/images/logos/site/site.png&width=150&height=12031

ELON -VS- FURMAN

Team
F

ELON

FURMAN

But does anyone even know Furman actually beat Elon? Not many witnesses.

Elon @ W&M
ATT 10,803

Elon @ Furman
ATT 2,717

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2023, 11:57 AM
But does anyone even know Furman actually beat Elon?
Who knew Don Draper was a Tribe Fan…

https://paradigmnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/p_q2.jpg

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Who knew Don Draper was a Tribe Fan…

https://paradigmnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/p_q2.jpg

Its a shame he isn’t a Furman fan. Then you may have bumped your support up to 2,818 against Elon. It still would have left you with the lowest support among all the FCS playoff games and yes, it’s still pathetic, but it does make you look a little better in the box score.

FUBeAR
February 11th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Its a shame he isn’t a Furman fan. Then you may have bumped your support up to 2,818 against Elon. It still would have left you with the lowest support among all the FCS playoff games and yes, it’s still pathetic, but it does make you look a little better in the box score.
https://i.imgflip.com/7atyfz.jpg

Sitting Bull
February 11th, 2023, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=FUBeAR;3112839]https://i.imgflip.com/7atyfz.jpg[/QUOT
LOL. That’s the perfect spokesman for you.

bonarae
February 12th, 2023, 07:14 AM

Are live stats not working for you at all? Or it just won't cut it for all? That's the most affordable way to follow FCS football (ask mvemjsunpx of the Griz.)

caribbeanhen
February 12th, 2023, 07:19 AM
Are live stats not working for you at all? Or it just won't cut it for all? That's the most affordable way to follow FCS football (ask mvemjsunpx of the Griz.)

live stats are for emergencies only.... I’ve been their but would much rather be able to see the game

KPSUL
February 12th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Whipped Y'All ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCl1huUzJI&t=2s

FUBeAR
February 12th, 2023, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=FUBeAR;3112839]https://i.imgflip.com/7atyfz.jpg[/QUOT
LOL. That’s the perfect spokesman for you.
Is from & lives in the W&M / CAA neighborhood. Thought you would find him relatable.

(we both better be careful though…skatin’ on thin ice here. FUBeAR’s out of this exchange)

Sitting Bull
February 12th, 2023, 07:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LcA7dWbTk

ElonFirefighter
February 13th, 2023, 03:06 PM

I knew it FUBeAR and the Big Guy rigged the game

bonarae
February 27th, 2023, 08:15 PM
There's an article on The Athletic about W&M's "creative" offense. Can anyone with a subscription summarize it for us?

Tribe4SF
February 28th, 2023, 07:09 AM
There's an article on The Athletic about W&M's "creative" offense. Can anyone with a subscription summarize it for us?

Don't have a subscription but from what I gather the article highlights OC Christian Taylor's use of unique sets and motions to create mismatches. One quote from opposing DC focused on Tribe's ability to get defenders sideways in the running game allowing for cutbacks. Also says Tribe nearly lost Taylor to the U this winter.

ncspiderfan
February 28th, 2023, 10:50 PM
Richmond extends HC Russ Huesman to multi-year contract though the article does not say how many.

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2023/2/28/football-russ-huesman-signs-contract-extension-with-spider.aspx

caribbeanhen
March 1st, 2023, 07:58 AM
Don't have a subscription but from what I gather the article highlights OC Christian Taylor's use of unique sets and motions to create mismatches. One quote from opposing DC focused on Tribe's ability to get defenders sideways in the running game allowing for cutbacks. Also says Tribe nearly lost Taylor to the U this winter.

Might be more about the talent William has right now … tell me

Tribe4SF
March 1st, 2023, 09:57 AM
Might be more about the talent William has right now … tell me

Combination. Good synergy between staff and players. Quote from OC Taylor at end of the article.

"Our guys are so smart, motivated and instinctive. They’ll come in and draw up plays. They’re just as involved in this thing as we are."

Gangtackle11
March 7th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Nova 2023 schedule:

https://villanova.com/sports/football/schedule/2023

MR. CHICKEN
March 7th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Nova 2023 schedule:

https://villanova.com/sports/football/schedule/2023

......LOOKS LIKE...DUH PASTRY [email protected] DuPont........................BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
March 7th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Delaware WR Brett Buckman is in the portal and has offers

Jacksonville St

Southeastern Louisiana

Samford

Tribe4SF
March 7th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Mike London extended through the 2027 season. Staff has been restructured after departure of DC Vince Brown to NC A&T.

London Extended, Announces Football Staff Restructuring - William & Mary Athletics (tribeathletics.com) (https://tribeathletics.com/news/2023/3/7/w-ms-london-extended-announces-football-staff-restructuring.aspx)

MR. CHICKEN
March 12th, 2023, 10:32 AM

....SPRING BALL IS HERE IN DELAWHERE?......HENS STARTED YESTERDEE.....WHIFF SPRING GAME...4/21 FRIDAY NIGHT?...CAIN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS.....DESIRE TA DISCUSS PIGGY.....HENS....HAVE HOLES TA FILL EVERAH-WHERE....BUT...WR....BILL & MARE/NEW HAMPSHIRE...TA LEAD CAA.....DON'T KNOW 'BOUT DUH OTHERAHS....AS NO ONE IS TALKIN'........🤐.......BRAWK!

ps....WHATCHA' GOT...ELON/A&T/CAMELS?

caribbeanhen
March 12th, 2023, 12:21 PM

....SPRING BALL IS HERE IN DELAWHERE?......HENS STARTED YESTERDEE.....WHIFF SPRING GAME...4/21 FRIDAY NIGHT?...CAIN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS.....DESIRE TA DISCUSS PIGGY.....HENS....HAVE HOLES TA FILL EVERAH-WHERE....BUT...WR....BILL & MARE/NEW HAMPSHIRE...TA LEAD CAA.....DON'T KNOW 'BOUT DUH OTHERAHS....AS NO ONE IS TALKIN'........蘿.......BRAWK!

ps....WHATCHA' GOT...ELON/A&T/CAMELS?

We don’t even know who or if the next QB is in Newark yet Mr C

Still after the Jersey kid Alaimo that’s at Purdue, whomever it is should like the WRs at Delaware right now

Carty trying to rebuild the defense from chicken scratch and Hen fans want corn fed boys up on the OL

Tribe4SF
March 13th, 2023, 06:30 AM
W&M wrapped up the Spring with the Green & Gold game on Saturday. Great weekend in Williamsburg with about 200 former players back for Sean McDermott's induction to the Hall of Fame.

Big Plays on Both Sides of the Ball Highlight Football Spring Game - William & Mary Athletics (tribeathletics.com) (https://tribeathletics.com/news/2023/3/11/big-plays-on-both-sides-of-the-ball-highlight-football-spring-game.aspx)

W&M Athletics Hall of Fame Ceremony for Sean McDermott '98 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnKlgxbZaY)

Sean McDermott - W&M Hall of Fame - William & Mary (tribeathletics.com) (https://tribeathletics.com/galleries/football/sean-mcdermott-w-m-hall-of-fame/3997)

caribbeanhen
March 13th, 2023, 06:50 AM
W&M wrapped up the Spring with the Green & Gold game on Saturday. Great weekend in Williamsburg with about 200 former players back for Sean McDermott's induction to the Hall of Fame.

Big Plays on Both Sides of the Ball Highlight Football Spring Game - William & Mary Athletics (tribeathletics.com) (https://tribeathletics.com/news/2023/3/11/big-plays-on-both-sides-of-the-ball-highlight-football-spring-game.aspx)

W&M Athletics Hall of Fame Ceremony for Sean McDermott '98 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnKlgxbZaY)

Sean McDermott - W&M Hall of Fame - William & Mary (tribeathletics.com) (https://tribeathletics.com/galleries/football/sean-mcdermott-w-m-hall-of-fame/3997)

You guys all thawed out yet?

Tribe4SF
March 13th, 2023, 09:58 AM
You guys all thawed out yet?

It was a bit nippy but better than last year when it was 34 with sleet, snow and wind!

UAalum72
March 15th, 2023, 03:41 PM
Albany announces spring schedule - spring game April 29

https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/c4LW-3jKEDirH1njNeZ8ct2oFNt3xzjEBQX9rTcYGlGDdQNLCGC5PKY 6biSRcemPvzUHeIkEC4lXsuQUjrspNz-07TdGdX4Brq3IjbuinfdB5Bu4nWI3n3gjVZHH1JY=s0-d-e1-ft#https://www.ticketreturn.com/boxoffice/EmailImages/C1291_FrRcqdpWAAA2NvO.jpg

ncspiderfan
March 15th, 2023, 05:45 PM
From my earlier post.

Spiders have a commitment from Stony Brook LB Tyler King from portal.
Also have offered DB from UNI Stefan Black II.

Update.

Tyler King is no longer with the Richmond football team, have no idea what happened.

UNI DB Stefan Black II is on roster.

As of now Spiders only have the one transfer coming in.

Could have used the LB, have Wheeler back as excellent player, two that have seen time one of them Donavan Hoilette who had hardly played as a RSF excepting ST and had 11 tackles in the Sac State playoff game (quite the next man up performance) and one other from two deep that has played in a lot of games. The rest will be moving into two deep. I hope they all have been like Hoilette, learning the defense and just waiting their turn.

MR. CHICKEN
March 24th, 2023, 08:44 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caribbeanhen https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3108303#post3108303)
Why wait til next year 

.....GUESS SO.......YER LOADED....WE DON'T EVEN HAVE AN INCUMBENT @ QB....SOMETHIN' LIKE 30 +...GONE FROM LAST SEASON......xsighx.....BAWK!

KPSUL
March 24th, 2023, 04:55 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caribbeanhen https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3108303#post3108303)
Why wait til next year 

.....GUESS SO.......YER LOADED....WE DON'T EVEN HAVE AN INCUMBENT @ QB....SOMETHIN' LIKE 30 +...GONE FROM LAST SEASON......xsighx.....BAWK!

You probably ran out of sandbags after this post, take some of mine...

caribbeanhen
March 24th, 2023, 10:33 PM
You probably ran out of sandbags after this post, take some of mine...

Nope, Mr C is telling no tales

nobody has a clue who the QB is right now and the D looks like the High Plains Drifter just arrived in town…. Barren as the Hens don’t have any starters coming back…

bonarae
March 24th, 2023, 11:28 PM
nobody has a clue who the QB is right now and the D looks like the High Plains Drifter just arrived in town…. Barren as the Hens don’t have any starters coming back…

Winless season in the wings, or a few wins only and it's going to be the 30 for this coming season for the Blue Hens?

MR. CHICKEN
March 25th, 2023, 09:13 AM
Winless season in the wings, or a few wins only and it's going to be the 30 for this coming season for the Blue Hens?

....3/4 DUBBYAS.....AN' CARTY GETS COACH UH YEAR........AH'D GUESS...7th/8th......IN CONFERENCE..........DOODLE-DOO!

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2023, 07:49 AM

....3/4 DUBBYAS.....AN' CARTY GETS COACH UH YEAR........AH'D GUESS...7th/8th......IN CONFERENCE..........DOODLE-DOO!

Delaware plays at two new venues in 2023, Campbell and Hampton ….. and FBS Penn State

Richmond and William & Mary not on the schedule

KPSUL
March 26th, 2023, 09:50 AM
Delaware plays at two new venues in 2023, Campbell and Hampton ….. and FBS Penn State

Richmond and William & Mary not on the schedule

Except for the ass-whupp'in your going to get at Penn State, you guys have a VERY favorable schedule in 2023. Arguably, your toughest CAA opponents, Villanova, UNH and Elon, are all on Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium. As are your two OOC FCS opponents, Duquesne and St Francis. You have both the 2023 CAA newcomers, NC A&T(home) and Campbell(away), and your remaining CAA on-the-road opponents are 2022 bottom of the conference Hampton and Stony Brook and mediocre Towson.
6 home and 5 away games.

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Except for the ass-whupp'in your going to get at Penn State, you guys have a VERY favorable schedule in 2023. Arguably, your toughest CAA opponents, Villanova, UNH and Elon, are all on Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium. As are your two OOC FCS opponents, Duquesne and St Francis. You have both the 2023 CAA newcomers, NC A&T(home) and Campbell(away), and your remaining CAA on-the-road opponents are 2022 bottom of the conference Hampton and Stony Brook and mediocre Towson.
6 home and 5 away games.

Yep, the new but not necessarily improved CAA, the overwhelming majority of fans that post on gohens are ready to move on from FCS …. Delaware is Looking for a new home but nothing is available or has been made available to fans anyway

KPSUL
March 26th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Yep, the new but not necessarily improved CAA, the overwhelming majority of fans that post on gohens are ready to move on from FCS …. Delaware is Looking for a new home but nothing is available or has been made available to fans anyway

I don't think adding NC A&T and Campbell is going to weaken the CAA long term. Historically, new members don't do particularly well their first couple seasons, even if they had been winning teams in their previous conference. But I suspect that the 2 newbies will represent pretty well in 2023, they'll be in most of their games and win several times. Much the same as 2022 Monmouth.

I really don't have an opinion on whether or not Delaware should move to FBS. My preference would be to keep them in the CAA - they've been a key element of that association going way back into the Yankee Conf era.

Due to what I perceive to be a favorably 2023 schedule, I was just suggesting the Delaware may end up with an overall winning record, not the decline you and Mr. C are suggesting. But pre-season assumptions about the strength of a particular team's schedule frequently turn out inaccurate. I see Campbell and Towson as the biggest wildcards the Hens face in 2023.

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2023, 02:21 PM
I don't think adding NC A&T and Campbell is going to weaken the CAA long term. Historically, new members don't do particularly well their first couple seasons, even if they had been winning teams in their previous conference. But I suspect that the 2 newbies will represent pretty well in 2023, they'll be in most of their games and win several times. Much the same as 2022 Monmouth.

I really don't have an opinion on whether or not Delaware should move to FBS. My preference would be to keep them in the CAA - they've been a key element of that association going way back into the Yankee Conf era.

Due to what I perceive to be a favorably 2023 schedule, I was just suggesting the Delaware may end up with an overall winning record, not the decline you and Mr. C are suggesting. But pre-season assumptions about the strength of a particular team's schedule frequently turn out inaccurate. I see Campbell and Towson as the biggest wildcards the Hens face in 2023.

I said Delaware doesn’t know who the starting QB is and is rebuilding the entire defense

Some more talented playmakers have been added at WR

I never said it would be a down year but understand why you might think that’s what I said

Mr Chicken? Im thinking he said 7 or 8 wins and I totally agree

KPSUL
March 26th, 2023, 06:31 PM
I said Delaware doesn’t know who the starting QB is and is rebuilding the entire defense

Some more talented playmakers have been added at WR

I never said it would be a down year but understand why you might think that’s what I said

Mr Chicken? Im thinking he said 7 or 8 wins and I totally agree

Let me translate, I've been studying Fog-Horn Leg-Hornian:

....3/4 DUBBYAS.....AN' CARTY GETS COACH UH YEAR........AH'D GUESS...7th/8th......IN CONFERENCE....DOODLE-DOO!

3 or 4 Wins.............................................. ................................. seventh or eighth in the CAA
(I assume he means 3 or 4 conference wins)

KPSUL
March 27th, 2023, 07:13 PM
CAA Game times announced

https://caasports.com/news/2023/3/22/game-times-announced-for-2023-caa-football-schedule.aspx

Sitting Bull
March 28th, 2023, 01:53 PM

One thing which I never understood with Hen fans - those that complain about FCS and the caliber of new entries into the CAA - yet UD seems to often schedule the weakest annual OOC match-ups in the conference.

caribbeanhen
March 28th, 2023, 04:27 PM
One thing which I never understood with Hen fans - those that complain about FCS and the caliber of new entries into the CAA - yet UD seems to often schedule the weakest annual OOC match-ups in the conference.

recently yes, OOC FCS has been awful, still licking those 2 games with the Bison wounds from 18 and 19. Most Hen fans are not generally excited about the schedule period …. The focus is on Winning so that’s why we see the weak schedule

Sitting Bull
March 28th, 2023, 05:57 PM
recently yes, OOC FCS has been awful, still licking those 2 games with the Bison wounds from 18 and 19. Most Hen fans are not generally excited about the schedule period …. The focus is on Winning so that’s why we see the weak schedule

I’m just curious, what FCS OOC games do you think would be most appealing to UD fans? It seems they have focused recently on the MEAC and NEC.

I think winning is the key though to your point. If UD was plowing through the schedule like they did in the 80s and 90s, much of the complaining would just go away,

caribbeanhen
March 29th, 2023, 06:14 AM
I’m just curious, what FCS OOC games do you think would be most appealing to UD fans? It seems they have focused recently on the MEAC and NEC.

I think winning is the key though to your point. If UD was plowing through the schedule like they did in the 80s and 90s, much of the complaining would just go away,

I think message boards kind of give a distorted view as it’s just human nature to offer up a complaint vice mentioning all the good things. Maybe 50 regulars on Gohens post but 15,000 or so at game so who knows what the fanbase is thinking.

No FCS OOC opponent is really going to excite Delaware fans, North Dakota State didn’t com close to a sell out in 2019. Why take a beating if the fans don’t care about playing an opponent like North Dakota State? It’s much better for a resume to just win. The fans might complain about St Francis and Morgan St but they still show up, not like 15 years ago but still top 10 FCS.

Overwhelmingly though the fans are not excited about what the CAA has become and want out…. The ones that are complaining online will still be at the game though.

An issue that is unpopular is playing Delaware State in Dover…. You have a shiny remodeled stadium with a capacity of about 18,500 and you play a game 40 miles away in a High school facility that holds 7K…. They should just play the game in Newark and make Del State the home team. Wasting revenue of 10,000 tickets sold ?!

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2023, 07:05 AM
....NO ONE....WANTS UH SUICIDAL OOC SKED...LIKE DUQUESNE LAST SEASON (FLA. ST./HAWAII/YOUNGSTOWN ST)......OR......DUH AD @ NORFFERN IOWA'S....PENCHANT....FO' WEARIN' DOWN....HIS PANTHERS...........MAKE DUH PLAY-OFFS.....WHERE YA'S CAN SHOW......YOUSE BELONG...... AGIN'....DUH BIG BOYS........BRAWK!

ps.....UD HAS PENN STATE....UH PROJECTED BIG 10 CHAMP.....DIS SEASON........HENS DESERVE DUH OOC CUPCAKES............AWK!

Sitting Bull
March 29th, 2023, 07:55 AM
One team I would to see like W&M add as a frequent football OOC is Princeton.

On the fans and CAA, we have a few very vocal who also complain but when you ask if not here, where - it’s deer in the headlights and usually only thought out for a specific sport, not a complete athletic program. The majority outside that I think are very satisfied overall.

I personally like the expansion into North Carolina from our perspective - seems those north of us are less excited - maybe they just aren’t as familiar with the schools there. Example, Campbell - we played them in baseball yesterday. Who knew they are ranked #15 in the country. Give it 10 years, I’m betting they will be one of the top programs in the league among all sports.

Stony Brook all sports also a great add. Every MAC thread discussing expansion into the East suggests them as a target.

caribbeanhen
March 29th, 2023, 08:52 AM

On the fans and CAA, we have a few very vocal who also complain but when you ask if not here, where - it’s deer in the headlights and usually only thought out for a specific sport, not a complete athletic program. The majority outside that I think are very satisfied overall.

I personally like the expansion into North Carolina from our perspective - seems those north of us are less excited - maybe they just aren’t as familiar with the schools there. Example, Campbell - we played them in baseball yesterday. Who knew they are ranked #15 in the country. Give it 10 years, I’m betting they will be one of the top programs in the league among all sports.

Stony Brook all sports also a great add. Every MAC thread discussing expansion into the East suggests them as a target.

Ive seen Princeton mentioned by Hen fans, good football program and geographically convenient…. But neither school would probably want to take the risk of losing….. Personally, would like to see Harvard, Dartmouth or Yale but Delaware would probably settle for Penn again. Hopefully they won’t schedule VMI, nobody wants to see Rocco again.

Tribe4SF
March 29th, 2023, 01:14 PM

For we Tribe fans the CAA is absolutely the best situation as things currently stand. I also like the addition of the new schools despite not seeing UD or Nova on this year's football schedule. Agree about Campbell rising in the league over time. They are clearly committed to athletics and I was impressed with the team they brought to Williamsburg last year. Despite their late season fade last Fall I'm nervous about our opener down there on Aug. 31. NC A&T also seems committed to excellence. They had to make that commitment clear to hire Vince Brown away from us.

caribbeanhen
March 29th, 2023, 01:31 PM
For we Tribe fans the CAA is absolutely the best situation as things currently stand. I also like the addition of the new schools despite not seeing UD or Nova on this year's football schedule. Agree about Campbell rising in the league over time. They are clearly committed to athletics and I was impressed with the team they brought to Williamsburg last year. Despite their late season fade last Fall I'm nervous about our opener down there on Aug. 31. NC A&T also seems committed to excellence. They had to make that commitment clear to hire Vince Brown away from us.

I hear you both on Campbell, they have 12 FBS transfers coming in on top of some highly rated recruiting classes

https://herosports.com/2023-fbs-to-fcs-transfers-bzbz/

Delaware plays at Campbell this fall, going to be a good game

Tribe4SF
March 29th, 2023, 01:44 PM
I hear you both on Campbell, they have 12 FBS transfers coming in on top of some highly rated recruiting classes

Anxious to see how their talent level looks this year. Some of the recruiting hype looks like smoke and mirrors to me with some of their star kids having very little recruiting interest other than the Camels and some with P5 offers that were 18-24 months old when they signed.

Sitting Bull
March 29th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Twi other aspects of Campbell that have grown on me - one is their wider success in other sports. As mentioned, I had no idea until yesterday they were ranked 15th nationally in baseball. In basketball, they literally blew the Big South championship game this year and will be a competitive team in the CAA next basketball season. The other is Raleigh, one of the fastest growing metros and not a bad distance or game destinations for Tribe fans. Campbell is just 30 miles south of Raleigh,

It’s easier for us I think to be excited for Campbell and NC A&T. We have a history of playing southern schools going back to the So Con. It’s tougher to expect Delaware fans to get that excited that fast. I think W&M was their initial southern opponent starting back to the 70s and for years that followed,

Tribe4SF
March 29th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Twi other aspects of Campbell that have grown on me - one is their wider success in other sports. As mentioned, I had no idea until yesterday they were ranked 15th nationally in baseball. In basketball, they literally blew the Big South championship game this year and will be a competitive team in the CAA next basketball season. The other is Raleigh, one of the fastest growing metros and not a bad distance or game destinations for Tribe fans. Campbell is just 30 miles south of Raleigh,

It’s easier for us I think to be excited for Campbell and NC A&T. We have a history of playing southern schools going back to the So Con. It’s tougher to expect Delaware fans to get that excited that fast. I think W&M was their initial southern opponent starting back to the 70s and for years that followed,

Campbell only 30 miles from Raleigh but it's a one-hour drive. No hotels in Buies Creek so closest is either Dunn or Benson about 10 miles away and there ain't much happening there either. Literally nothing in Buies Creek other than Campbell and a nice golf course.

KPSUL
March 29th, 2023, 03:59 PM

While Princeton may play a game with W&M once in a great while, I doubt they would want to see you on a frequent basis. The Ivy teams play 2 of their 3 OOC games early in their season and they start two weeks after everyone else. That probably puts them at a disadvantage when playing upper echelon FCS teams and a good reason why they are scheduling less competitive OOC opponents. I believe more often than not they look at those early OOC games as a tune-up for their League schedule. One thing I like about the Ivy league is they play all their conference mates every season. I don't think Ivy teams in general are much interested in slaying dragons from outside the elite eight.

KPSUL
March 29th, 2023, 04:04 PM
I've been posting all year that the CAA doesn't need to apologize or be ashamed about adding Campbell and NC A&T. Neither team is likely to be a push-over. Having said that, I still don't like that the conference has expanded to a unwieldy 15 teams, regardless of the teams we've added.

Henny
April 1st, 2023, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know how Campbell can get that kind of talent. Pretty impressive for a rural FCS school just coming up. Also their baseball team is currently ranked 15th in the nation!

Tribe4SF
April 1st, 2023, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know how Campbell can get that kind of talent. Pretty impressive for a rural FCS school just coming up. Also their baseball team is currently ranked 15th in the nation!

Not sure how they are operating. From their game notes for their last game of 2022 season they had 121 on the roster with 21 being Div. I transfers. They signed 16 high school kids on Dec. 21 and apparently have about a dozen new transfers. As to their new recruits they claim 14 of the 16 were rated 2* or higher. As I've pointed out before some of that is smoke and mirrors. They have not posted their 2023 roster so who knows how many guys they retained.

I don't know of any other full scholarship FCS programs that can carry a 121 man roster. With the number of highly rated guys and transfers they bring in one would assume most are receiving full rides. The money side of it all has to raise some eyebrows.

MR. CHICKEN
April 1st, 2023, 11:28 AM
.....121 ROSTER.....LEAVES PLENTY ROOM....FO' UNHAPPINESS.......AWK!

MACK BROWN.....NORFF CAROLINA SAID......YA HALFTA PLAY TWO STRINGS......OR.....DEY'RE IN DUH PORTAL........AWK!

KPSUL
April 1st, 2023, 09:28 PM
Not sure how they are operating. From their game notes for their last game of 2022 season they had 121 on the roster with 21 being Div. I transfers. They signed 16 high school kids on Dec. 21 and apparently have about a dozen new transfers. As to their new recruits they claim 14 of the 16 were rated 2* or higher. As I've pointed out before some of that is smoke and mirrors. They have not posted their 2023 roster so who knows how many guys they retained.

I don't know of any other full scholarship FCS programs that can carry a 121 man roster. With the number of highly rated guys and transfers they bring in one would assume most are receiving full rides. The money side of it all has to raise some eyebrows.

How does that saying go? If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

caribbeanhen
April 2nd, 2023, 05:40 AM
.....121 ROSTER.....LEAVES PLENTY ROOM....FO' UNHAPPINESS.......AWK!

MACK BROWN.....NORFF CAROLINA SAID......YA HALFTA PLAY TWO STRINGS......OR.....DEY'RE IN DUH PORTAL........AWK!

More players than fans

KPSUL
April 2nd, 2023, 09:08 AM
Campbell has a tough 2023 schedule. They play 4 of the 5 CAA 2022 playoff teams, an FBS game vs. UNC and a rematch on the road of perhaps their most impressive 2022 win over Celebration Bowl champ NC Central.

caribbeanhen
April 6th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Craig Haley has Monmouth as a playoff sleeper….. hmmm not so fast

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/jump-on-the-bandwagon-seven-under-the-radar-fcs-teams-that-will-be-improved/ (https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/jump-on-the-bandwagon-seven-under-the-radar-fcs-teams-that-will-be-improved/)

At-Large Playoff ContendersMonmouth2022 Record: 5-6, 3-5 CAA
What to Know: The biggest FCS conference ever – the CAA will be 15 teams – is worthy of several surprises, and the Hawks could be one in their second season in the league. They return seven starters on each side of the ball. A new starting quarterback – either Sacred Hart transfer Marquez McCray or sophomore Enzo Arjona – will get the ball to game-breaker Jaden Shirden, the FCS’ 2022 rushing leader. Cornerback Eddie Morales III and linebacker Da’Quan Grimes are decorated veterans, and the defense will have a new look in the front secen.

ElonFirefighter
April 6th, 2023, 08:20 PM

Its because they are MMM MMMMM Good

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2023, 09:36 PM
Its because they are MMM MMMMM Good

They have a recipe for talent.

FUBeAR
April 7th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know how Campbell can get that kind of talent.
Just 12 minutes & 8.8 miles away from Lane Stadium … https://www.scnbnc.com/

https://www.scnbnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Platter-Large-BBQ.jpg

…and the Mecca of Eastern NC BBQ - https://www.wilbersbbq.com/ - is only an hour away in Goldsboro.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5cb7498765a7075b6996d698/1642108067415-FH7V088OJCTMULNFQ08Y/IMG_0179.JPG?format=1500w

Tribe4SF
April 7th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Just 12 minutes & 8.8 miles away from Lane Stadium … https://www.scnbnc.com/
https://www.scnbnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Platter-Large-BBQ.jpg

Since we're staying in Dunn for our game at Campbell this would be a good bet for tailgate chow?

FUBeAR
April 7th, 2023, 06:26 AM
Since we're staying in Dunn for our game at Campbell this would be a good bet for tailgate chow?
It’s probably not the best example of Eastern NC BBQ, being a chain; BUT as one of FUBeAR’s legendary Teammates (and later a SoCon & ACC Coach…RIP) once told him… “Let me tell ya, FUBeAR, the WORST [censored, think 2 letters between a and c and i and k] I ever had was just WONDERFUL!”

See FUBeAR’s updated post for his favorite BBQ…but Goldsboro is not very convenient if you’re staying in Dunn.

When FUBeAR hosted a large tailgate for all of Mercer’s Football Players’ Families in Buies Creek in 2013, he used McCall’s out of Clayton, but that’s not particularly convenient for a single tailgating family. Also, looks like they have closed that location and are only open in Goldsboro now.

So…yeah…unless someone comes up with an alternate recommendation, FUBeAR would go with Smithfield’s and trust that his old Teammate/Coach’s off-color reference transfers to Eastern NC BBQ.

KPSUL
April 7th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Craig Haley has Monmouth as a playoff sleeper….. hmmm not so fast

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/jump-on-the-bandwagon-seven-under-the-radar-fcs-teams-that-will-be-improved/ (https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/04/jump-on-the-bandwagon-seven-under-the-radar-fcs-teams-that-will-be-improved/)

At-Large Playoff Contenders

Monmouth

2022 Record: 5-6, 3-5 CAA
What to Know: The biggest FCS conference ever – the CAA will be 15 teams – is worthy of several surprises, and the Hawks could be one in their second season in the league. They return seven starters on each side of the ball. A new starting quarterback – either Sacred Hart transfer Marquez McCray or sophomore Enzo Arjona – will get the ball to game-breaker Jaden Shirden, the FCS’ 2022 rushing leader. Cornerback Eddie Morales III and linebacker Da’Quan Grimes are decorated veterans, and the defense will have a new look in the front secen.

I agree.... not so fast. Jaden Shirden is a force, no question. But 7 returning starters on both side of the ball is nothing special with all these 5th year players still eligible due to the pandemic exception. Also, QB Tony Muskett's departure with eligibility left was a significant loss for the Hawks. I'd be more concerned with Albany - a potential "spoiler" in this article.

ncspiderfan
April 7th, 2023, 09:38 PM

Just looked on website and Smithfield Chicken and BBQ has a location in Dunn, NC

It is not that bad as a whole. The chicken and BBQ are usually pretty good, I am not that fond of their side dishes, but it is the selection, not the quality, so that is just me.

You might be just as well off to ask at the hotel desk when you check in, where you can get BBQ and chicken for a tailgate from a local place. Most towns in eastern NC have a place all the locals have dined at for years.

FUBeAR mentioned Wilbers and McCall's in Goldsboro and they are both still in business. Depends on the way you are coming down. I would guess I-95, so those will be 25 miles or so out of your way (each way), and to be honest if it came down to it anymore. I would just as soon have Smithfield's food versus 25 miles out of my way. Live in area and last couple of times at McCall's was just ok. Wilber's actually closed for a while but has reopened and reports are it is good. I have not tried it since it reopened.

caribbeanhen
April 8th, 2023, 07:18 AM
I agree.... not so fast. Jaden Shirden is a force, no question. But 7 returning starters on both side of the ball is nothing special with all these 5th year players still eligible due to the pandemic exception. Also, QB Tony Muskett's departure with eligibility left was a significant loss for the Hawks. I'd be more concerned with Albany - a potential "spoiler" in this article.

I agree with you on Albany. Craig Haley must be another fan that doesn’t have Flo sports because he has been consistently wrong on the CAA. They pump up Monmouth for beating Kennesaw once and pretend they’re going to come into the “down” CAA and be competitive. Didn’t happen.

The Camels are sleeper lead by their fans …

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2023, 06:31 AM
I agree with you on Albany. Craig Haley must be another fan that doesn’t have Flo sports because he has been consistently wrong on the CAA. They pump up Monmouth for beating Kennesaw once and pretend they’re going to come into the “down” CAA and be competitive. Didn’t happen.

Sleepers to me are Towson and Campbell. Towson won its last four in 2022 including Monmouth and Villanova to finish 6-5.

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2023, 07:08 AM
Just looked on website and Smithfield Chicken and BBQ has a location in Dunn, NC

It is not that bad as a whole. The chicken and BBQ are usually pretty good, I am not that fond of their side dishes, but it is the selection, not the quality, so that is just me.

You might be just as well off to ask at the hotel desk when you check in, where you can get BBQ and chicken for a tailgate from a local place. Most towns in eastern NC have a place all the locals have dined at for years.

FUBeAR mentioned Wilbers and McCall's in Goldsboro and they are both still in business. Depends on the way you are coming down. I would guess I-95, so those will be 25 miles or so out of your way (each way), and to be honest if it came down to it anymore. I would just as soon have Smithfield's food versus 25 miles out of my way. Live in area and last couple of times at McCall's was just ok. Wilber's actually closed for a while but has reopened and reports are it is good. I have not tried it since it reopened.

Thanks for the info. Only local place I have found is Daddy D's which is in Benson so a bit out of the way. We'll probably go with Smithfield's as it is very convenient.

caribbeanhen
April 10th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Sleepers to me are Towson and Campbell. Towson won its last four in 2022 including Monmouth and Villanova to finish 6-5.

Good point on Towson, I remember watching some of an early season game and thinking Towson looks awful, but as you pointed out they really got better as season went along.

Sitting Bull
April 10th, 2023, 12:26 PM
Towson seemed to turn their season around just after halftime of our game there. We led 30-3 at halftime, scored on a 70+ yard td pass to Pitts on first 2H possession to go up 37-3. We did win 44-24 but Towson obviously rallied back a bit and didn’t lose a game after that,

caribbeanhen
April 10th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Towson seemed to turn their season around just after halftime of our game there. We led 30-3 at halftime, scored on a 70+ yard td pass to Pitts on first 2H possession to go up 37-3. We did win 44-24 but Towson obviously rallied back a bit and didn’t lose a game after that,

The Burg seemed to blow a lot of big leads last year, Delaware came back strong in second half but we fumbled it away

Right now I would guess William & Mary is the preseason favorite

Sitting Bull
April 10th, 2023, 05:26 PM
The Burg seemed to blow a lot of big leads last year, Delaware came back strong in second half but we fumbled it away

Right now I would guess William & Mary is the preseason favorite

Elon was really the only game blown late. We did hold on at the end against Delaware but rallied from behind to win games against URI, Stony Brook and Hampton. Towson scored the 21 2H points on long, extended drives, they had a different vibe which apparently held.

Our schedule is very favorable this year. Having most everyone back, especially Wilson and Yoder, you would expect good things. And we have no Delaware, UNH, Villanova or URI on the schedule. Our toughest games look to be on the road at Campbell and Elon, We should expect to be near the top I think.

Henny
April 11th, 2023, 07:13 AM
Delaware doesn't have either W&M or Richmond on the schedule for the first time in almost 40 years. That combined with the loss of JMU and I almost feel like the CAA left us.

FUBeAR
April 11th, 2023, 08:30 AM
Jeez…

Delaware not playing W&M or Richmond …and…
W&M not playing Delaware, Villanova, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island …and…
Richmond not playing Delaware, Villanova, or New Hampshire …and…
…ad infinitum

CAA should change its name to “The Big Why Conference.”

Champion / AutoBid will be determined more by scheduling advantages than beating competitors on the field.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfiniteMediumBaleenwhale-size_restricted.gif

bonarae
April 11th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Jeez…

Delaware not playing W&M or Richmond …and…
W&M not playing Delaware, Villanova, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island …and…
Richmond not playing Delaware, Villanova, or New Hampshire …and…
…ad infinitum

CAA should change its name to “The Big Why Conference.”

Champion / AutoBid will be determined more by scheduling advantages than beating competitors on the field.

Hmm, is the CAA's position in football more worthy to explain why the FCS is so directionless these days? xchinscratchx

caribbeanhen
April 11th, 2023, 10:35 AM
CAA has become the de facto Southern conference… everything is moving south

Sitting Bull
April 11th, 2023, 12:23 PM
CAA has become the de facto Southern conference… everything is moving south

Like everything else.

I think it’s most likely the affiliates (Maine, UNH, URI) may eventually break off, maybe into some AEast/NEC combo. Maybe that had been threatened before which is why the CAA targeted North Carolina, who knows. It seems a smart move.

In any event, the CAA that would remain in football terms:

Stony Brook
Monmouth
Delaware
Villanova
Towson
Richmond
W&M
Hampton
Elon
NC A&T
Campbell

Maybe UAlbany would jump in for all sports and put football at 12 - or maybe a VMI pops in. Then you could go back to divisions of 6 each - or 4 annuals and 4 floaters. For W&M, I would want UR/Hampton/Elon/Delaware as annuals.

Tribe4SF
April 11th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Hmm, is the CAA's position in football more worthy to explain why the FCS is so directionless these days? xchinscratchx

The CAA is fine. If you want real issues look at the Southland, ASun, Big South, Ohio Valley and MEAC. Amazing to me that the CAA gets knocked on here for growing and remaining healthy.

kdinva
April 11th, 2023, 12:51 PM
Jeez…

IMO, too big, just like Big Sky, maybe The Valley....there will always be seasons where the favorites' S O S will be vastly different,

caribbeanhen
April 11th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Like everything else.

I think it’s most likely the affiliates (Maine, UNH, URI) may eventually break off, maybe into some AEast/NEC combo. Maybe that had been threatened before which is why the CAA targeted North Carolina, who knows. It seems a smart move.

In any event, the CAA that would remain in football terms:

Stony Brook
Monmouth
Delaware
Villanova
Towson
Richmond
W&M
Hampton
Elon
NC A&T
Campbell

Maybe UAlbany would jump in for all sports and put football at 12 - or maybe a VMI pops in. Then you could go back to divisions of 6 each - or 4 annuals and 4 floaters. For W&M, I would want UR/Hampton/Elon/Delaware as annuals.

Delaware is not building multi million dollar FBS like facilities to remain in the new CAA

The question is where are the going? I think they are using the ….if you build it they will eventually call strategy

Sitting Bull
April 11th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Delaware is not building multi million dollar FBS like facilities to remain in the new CAA

The question is where are the going? I think they are using the ….if you build it they will eventually call strategy

A 20,000 seat stadium, no matter how you dress it up, is not prepping for FBS. Given the Hens fall from dominance, you could argue these changes are needed to position UD football back to perennial top 10 levels within FCS. It’s not like Delaware stands alone making multi million dollar upgrades for an FCS program.

Sitting Bull
April 11th, 2023, 01:44 PM
IMO, too big, just like Big Sky, maybe The Valley....there will always be seasons where the favorites' S O S will be vastly different,

I agree though it’s tough to argue that it’s the trend with many major conferences these days. The SEC is going there, the ACC, Big 10, Big Sky and AAC, all examples. While the nuclear 8 team football conference has always been the rule in the past, it’s fading fast.

MR. CHICKEN
April 11th, 2023, 02:10 PM

......12 SWAC'S.......11 PIONEER'S..........TOO!......AWK!

caribbeanhen
April 11th, 2023, 02:42 PM
A 20,000 seat stadium, no matter how you dress it up, is not prepping for FBS. Given the Hens fall from dominance, you could argue these changes are needed to position UD football back to perennial top 10 levels within FCS. It’s not like Delaware stands alone making multi million dollar upgrades for an FCS program.

Two immediate thoughts
Many FBS teams don’t draw 20,000 fans to the stadium
Delaware can expand NEZ seating if required but is it necessary?

Personally, Delaware can stay at FCS as far as I’m concerned

UNHWildcat18
April 11th, 2023, 04:44 PM
Two immediate thoughts
Many FBS teams don’t draw 20,000 fans to the stadium
Delaware can expand NEZ seating if required but is it necessary?

Personally, Delaware can stay at FCS as far as I’m concerned

I think their new home side and athletic center is great but if they wanted to go FBS they really needed something like the old proposal and be at around 25-30k
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/471118810990769779/

best hope would have been to ask the MAC to go to 12->16 with UD Temple umASS and another

I do think UD is stuck in the FCS for the time being.

MR. CHICKEN
April 11th, 2023, 08:46 PM
I think their new home side and athletic center is great but if they wanted to go FBS they really needed something like the old proposal and be at around 25-30k
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/471118810990769779/

best hope would have been to ask the MAC to go to 12->16 with UD Temple umASS and another

I do think UD is stuck in the FCS for the time being.

....WE CAIN'T GET 18,500......FO' DUH LIKES UH NORFF DAKOTA STATE........EVERAH....SEE DUH MAC-STERS....ON UH TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY NIGHT.......NOT COMIN' TA NEWARK.....WHIFF GOBS UH FANS.......UCONN/UMASS....NEVER SHOWED IN MEANINFUL #'s........BACK IN DUH DAY......WHERE'S DUH X-TRA 11,500 COMIN' FROM.......JES' 'NOTHERAH HALF-EMPTY ARENA.......DOODLE-DOO!

ps........AH'M WHIFF CARIB......HENS IN FCS....ALRIGHT BY ME......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
April 11th, 2023, 10:04 PM

......EGG-ZAKLEE..HOW AH SEE IT.....TOO............xnodx........AWK!

bonarae
April 11th, 2023, 10:36 PM
The CAA is fine. If you want real issues look at the Southland, ASun, Big South, Ohio Valley and MEAC. Amazing to me that the CAA gets knocked on here for growing and remaining healthy.

xpeacex The CAA has its own set of problems too: poor media coverage (snubbing ESPN and its affiliates for a decade plus now), wide geographical scope (cannot be regionalized somewhat), and a few others I cannot think of right now...

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2023, 06:08 AM
xpeacex The CAA has its own set of problems too: poor media coverage (snubbing ESPN and its affiliates for a decade plus now), wide geographical scope (cannot be regionalized somewhat), and a few others I cannot think of right now...

Who doesn't have problems? On the whole the league is healthy. With six affiliate schools the football side will always be somewhat problematic but having nine all-sport members now playing football was a positive from recent expansion. Those nine schools are now in the majority of both football and all-sports members. The league can certainly survive the loss of a member or two and has the option to grow even further. I wish they were still in the league but all the rending of garments when JMU left was just silly. Change can be painful but we drive on without JMU, ODU, VCU and George Mason and football teams from UConn, UMass, BU, Hofstra and Northeastern.

ElonFirefighter
April 12th, 2023, 07:29 AM
xpeacex The CAA has its own set of problems too: poor media coverage (snubbing ESPN and its affiliates for a decade plus now),

Poor media coverage, you give them too much credit, there's no media coverage. The only deal that was worse was the SoCon and PBS. Though they did miss an opportunity. I would have tuned in if Bert and Ernie were doing live play by play with Big Brid on the sidelines

caribbeanhen
April 12th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Poor media coverage, you give them too much credit, there's no media coverage. The only deal that was worse was the SoCon and PBS. Though they did miss an opportunity. I would have tuned in if Bert and Ernie were doing live play by play with Big Brid on the sidelines

I thought it was Ernie and Bert xlolx

never Gamble & Proctor

Sitting Bull
April 12th, 2023, 08:32 AM
Who doesn't have problems? On the whole the league is healthy. With six affiliate schools the football side will always be somewhat problematic but having nine all-sport members now playing football was a positive from recent expansion. Those nine schools are now in the majority of both football and all-sports members. The league can certainly survive the loss of a member or two and has the option to grow even further. I wish they were still in the league but all the rending of garments when JMU left was just silly. Change can be painful but we drive on without JMU, ODU, VCU and George Mason and football teams from UConn, UMass, BU, Hofstra and Northeastern.

Agree here. After almost 25 years, the CAA is now a solid, all sports, mid major, Atlantic coast conference. The expansion has been smart, both geographically and the specific members added. The members, current and new, are nearly all investing in their academic standing and athletic facilities. The media will evolve as the leagues strength escalates, which I think it will.

Other than the possibility a few fringe football affiliates splitting off (which I hope does not happen), the league is as stable as it’s ever been and positioned well for the future.

KPSUL
April 12th, 2023, 05:51 PM
The six "affiliate" schools are Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Albany, Villanova, and Richmond. Actually they are not affiliated with the CAA, instead they are full members of CAA Football. The CAA was clever enough to ensure CAA FB had in its rules that new CAA members could automatically be granted CAA FB membership if they played football. For schools seeking only CAA FB membership all CAA FB members have a vote, whether or not they play other sports in the CAA.

I really don't know how the UNH AD or President felt about the most recent CAA expansion; however, I'm fairly certain they are still supportive of playing football in CAA FB. I suspect that these notions about cobbling together a new Northeast FCS football conference with UNH, Maine and URI at its core, are just idle speculation.

Personally, with 15 teams, i'd like to see a division of CAA FB into North and South. Since the CAA is an 'association', why not call it North and South Conference of the CAA to strengthen the argument for two CAA playoff autobids.

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2023, 06:30 PM
The six "affiliate" schools are Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Albany, Villanova, and Richmond. Actually they are not affiliated with the CAA, instead they are full members of CAA Football. The CAA was clever enough to ensure CAA FB had in its rules that new CAA members could automatically be granted CAA FB membership if they played football. For schools seeking only CAA FB membership all CAA FB members have a vote, whether or not they play other sports in the CAA.

I really don't know how the UNH AD or President felt about the most recent CAA expansion; however, I'm fairly certain they are still supportive of playing football in CAA FB. I suspect that these notions about cobbling together a new Northeast FCS football conference with UNH, Maine and URI at its core, are just idle speculation.

Personally, with 15 teams, i'd like to see a division of CAA FB into North and South. Since the CAA is an 'association', why not call it North and South Conference of the CAA to strengthen the argument for two CAA playoff autobids.

A 16th football member would make that a strong possibility. The difficulty would be dividing the current three team pod of Nova, UD and Towson.

Thanks for pointing out the separate entities of CAA and CAA Football. It's easy to forget that is the case.

Sitting Bull
April 12th, 2023, 06:36 PM

Just a personal opinion, I have wished for sometime that UNH would join as an all sports member. That wouldn’t change anything on the football front but since we’re at 15 for all sports, it would tap off the expansion.

KPSUL
April 12th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Just a personal opinion, I have wished for sometime that UNH would join as an all sports member. That wouldn’t change anything on the football front but since we’re at 15 for all sports, it would tap off the expansion.

My guess is that we wouldn't want to switch conferences to CAA. Several reasons. We don't field teams in a number of sports popular in the CAA, and we have at least 5 teams not sponsored by CAA. We don't have men's baseball and lacrosse, women's softball and tennis. Men's ice hockey is the most expensive team we have after football. We also have women's ice hockey. Those teams play in Hockey East. We have men's and women's ski teams, both alpine and nordic. And women's gymnastics is a pretty big deal at UNH. I don't think they would want to incur the increased travel costs of moving the other sports, all currently in American East, to the CAA and also invest the money it would take to be competitive in an incrementally better conference - particularly in basketball.

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2023, 02:03 PM
My guess is that we wouldn't want to switch conferences to CAA. Several reasons. We don't field teams in a number of sports popular in the CAA, and we have at least 5 teams not sponsored by CAA. We don't have men's baseball and lacrosse, women's softball and tennis. Men's ice hockey is the most expensive team we have after football. We also have women's ice hockey. Those teams play in Hockey East. We have men's and women's ski teams, both alpine and nordic. And women's gymnastics is a pretty big deal at UNH. I don't think they would want to incur the increased travel costs of moving the other sports, all currently in American East, to the CAA and also invest the money it would take to be competitive in an incrementally better conference - particularly in basketball.

Don’t take this as a hit on New Hampshire but I’m very naive on why colleges are playing so many different sports that so few care about. Like everything my guess would be it all leads back to the $$$ somehow

TribeNomad1
April 14th, 2023, 02:39 PM
Don’t take this as a hit on New Hampshire but I’m very naive on why colleges are playing so many different sports that so few care about. Like everything my guess would be it all leads back to the $$$ somehow

Title IX perhaps....

KPSUL
April 14th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Hockey is hugely popular in New England. BU and Northeastern dropped football a couple decades ago but still have enthusiastic hockey fans. Students used to line up hours in advance to get into a UNH hockey game, our team has been terrible for about a decade but they still average 4500 butts in the 6500 seats. The ski teams have been around forever, a former Men's team Captain just donated 2 million, and not counting that, Skiing beat out #2 football for total dollars on a recent donation drive. Gymnastics is very competitive and they draw quite a few fans at there multi team meets.
We only sponsor 18 teams, 11 women and 7 men's. I'm sure the disparity is related to meeting Title IX mandates when you have a football team.

ncspiderfan
April 17th, 2023, 04:03 PM
This popped up on the Spider board today.

Just info but thought would pass along.
https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/resurrecting-the-yankee-conference-in-2023

UNHWildcat18
April 17th, 2023, 05:44 PM
This popped up on the Spider board today.

Just info but thought would pass along.
https://www.redshirtsports.xyz/resurrecting-the-yankee-conference-in-2023

”revive Yankee Conference” just keep Richmond in with Nova URI Albany Maine and UNH out… with Bryant(acceptable) RMU/StfU and Duquesne??? Tiny trash programs with little interest from the schools or fans, with horrid facilities. Also none of those schools would ever want to be in the same conference with the suggested schools.. Guys writing is a ****ing joke.

KPSUL
April 17th, 2023, 07:30 PM
”revive Yankee Conference” just keep Richmond in with Nova URI Albany Maine and UNH out… with Bryant(acceptable) RMU/StfU and Duquesne??? Tiny trash programs with little interest from the schools or fans, with horrid facilities. Also none of those schools would ever want to be in the same conference with the suggested schools.. Guys writing is a ****ing joke.

Yeah, what a contrived argument, does he really think Albany, Maine, UNH and URI are going to form a conference with Bryant, RMU, St. Francis and Duquesne? I doubt either group of 4 would want any part of it. With the way the CAA is now scheduling, I don't see much more travel to NC and VA than we had when there was 12 teams including JMU. I'm not real happy about 15 teams with no divisions, but I'm certainly not concerned enough to want the Yankee Conference this guy is proposing.

MUHAWKS
April 25th, 2023, 07:38 PM

ahhhh, nice to be back on here!!! 4 short months! Seeing our Spring game got me thinking to log on and see what's up! I take the article with less than a grain of salt, especially since he mentions Da'Quann Grimes who has no eligibility left.

With that said, to say we were not competitive is just not true. "didn't happen"- I mean it def happened. Unless your definition of competitive is different than most- It is not our fault we did not play the toughest CAA schedule but we were 3-5 in conference, and every loss was 10 pts or less sans Delaware with URI being last play loss, same for Towson essentially. We were very competitive with UNH, ***** the bed against maine and beat Nova- you can say Nova sucked all you want, but they were ranked 10 at the time and it is still Nova against newbie MU. We beat your preferred sleeper of Albany and it should be known our QB (now the probably starter at UVA) missed the last 3 games. We were by no means "good" but competitive is exactly the word I would use overall.

UAalum72
April 25th, 2023, 09:06 PM
Albany spring game is this Saturday 11 a.m.

caribbeanhen
April 26th, 2023, 09:44 AM
ahhhh, nice to be back on here!!! 4 short months! Seeing our Spring game got me thinking to log on and see what's up! I take the article with less than a grain of salt, especially since he mentions Da'Quann Grimes who has no eligibility left.

With that said, to say we were not competitive is just not true. "didn't happen"- I mean it def happened. Unless your definition of competitive is different than most- It is not our fault we did not play the toughest CAA schedule but we were 3-5 in conference, and every loss was 10 pts or less sans Delaware with URI being last play loss, same for Towson essentially. We were very competitive with UNH, ***** the bed against maine and beat Nova- you can say Nova sucked all you want, but they were ranked 10 at the time and it is still Nova against newbie MU. We beat your preferred sleeper of Albany and it should be known our QB (now the probably starter at UVA) missed the last 3 games. We were by no means "good" but competitive is exactly the word I would use overall.

Well stop taking 4 months off !

Like always the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

What I posted has more to do with some of the prognosticators talking about how Monmouth was going to make a seaside Asbury Park splash in the CAA

I was like not so fast

that’s it

TribeNomad1
April 26th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Interested to see if Muskett starts at QB for UVa. I will see at least two, perhaps three UVa games this year. The Uva offense was horrible.

FUBeAR
April 26th, 2023, 11:38 AM
Interested to see if Muskett starts at QB for UVa. I will see at least two, perhaps three UVa games this year. The Uva offense was horrible.
No worries. UVa’s Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks Coach, Receivers Coach, Head Strength & Conditioning Coach, and Director of Player Development and Senior Advisor to the Head Football Coach all have significant Furman Football DNA / roots. Your Wahoos are in good hands

Tribe4SF
April 26th, 2023, 03:42 PM
No worries. UVa’s Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Quarterbacks Coach, Receivers Coach, Head Strength & Conditioning Coach, and Director of Player Development and Senior Advisor to the Head Football Coach all have significant Furman Football DNA / roots. Your Wahoos are in good hands

Weren't all those guys there last year? You know.... when their offense sucked?

SteelSD
April 26th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Yes, but they make up for it by being very nurturing...

MUHAWKS
April 26th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Well stop taking 4 months off !

Like always the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

What I posted has more to do with some of the prognosticators talking about how Monmouth was going to make a seaside Asbury Park splash in the CAA

I was like not so fast

that’s it

haha-- yeah i meant 4 short months until the season! I hear you- last year was a semi eye opener in seeing how far we will have to go to be a legitimate contender, but outside of the top 3-4 teams i feel we fit in very well. We are not very close to being able to play with and beat top teams but all in all not light years away. This year will be a better judge. If we can go 4-4 or 5-3 in conference, I would say it a successful first 2 years in a relative sense.

We competed in EVERY game except Delaware and that was our 2nd game without Muskett and starting a true freshman. It would not have mattered as our D sucked but all I am saying is talent wise I do not see us that far off. I know if the Queen had a dick she would be the King but we went deep into the 4th with a lead against UNH on the road and had the ball down 4 with 4 minutes left before going for it on 4th down on our own 20 (pick 6 game over) We lost to Fordham with them scoring go ahead with a minute left. We beat Nova on the road and put up 50 pts. Nova was not THAT BAD, I mean they beat you guys, smoked Maine and played ok against Richmond. URI was a 7 OT game where we lost on 2 pt conversions. Towson beat us by 4 in our Freshman QB's first game but again it was the Defense that lacked. Sounds nuts but we were literally 3-4 plays away from making the playoffs. 1 play against Fordham = win. 1 play against Towson = win. 1 play against URI = win. that is 8-3 and not even considering the UNH game where it was prob 2 plays and Maine where we gave it away. That is a whole lot different than some crap team losing by 2-3 TD every week. I just think it was a lot closer than you may realize.

Now for this year? William and Mary and elon on road back to back weeks is tough, BUT we get Stony Brook and Albany, Hampton, Campbell, UNH and Towson. Every game in the CAA ends up being tough and I expect Campbell to actually be pretty good, but it is not crazy to think that we can go 5-3 in the CAA and that will not even be good enough for the playoffs even if we win 2/3 OOC (Lehigh, Lafayette and Florida atlantic)..But Say we lose to FAU down in Boca to start the year but go beat Towson in week 2 on the road. That is 1-1 to start and then we are home against Campbell. It is not crazy to say we beat them. That would be 2-1. Lehigh and Lafayette next and frankly Lafayette will be decent, but also not crazy to say we get out of that at 4-1. Then Hampton. Again, not crazy to beat them at home and go to 5-1. Say we lose to both W&M and Elon to get to 5-3. We finish with Stony Brook, UNH and Albany. It is feasible to win those 3 and be 8-3 and have a shot. 7-4 is more likely and that would have us out. This is all stupid right now, but it is realistic as well.

We lose Muskett which is sort of big BUT we have the Sacred Heart kid as a front runner and he is a dual threat. Shirden was one of the best RB's in FCS and we have another kid nobody knows about who is small but has world class moves and speed and will end up playing in slot and also at times at RB. The Line returns 3 starters and I am telling you right now, we have a lethal WR tandem. Watch for #18 Assanti Keraney to have a serious year. Our offense in theory should be better than last year and last year they were very good at times. The defense cannot get worse. I hope. We have a couple transfers and a lot of veterans. It will all be about our D line b/c we got zero pressure. If the defense improves from horrible to average and the Offense keeps up with last year we become a much better team. We still may have trouble with bigger physical teams but it is not out of the question that we are markedly better on defense. Really it is all about other teams. How much better did they get? I can boil it down to 2 things- can our QB be good? And can our defense be average. If those 2 are yes, you will see a Monmouth team that was 5 plays away from the playoffs be much better all around. That is not bias talking but real analysis. The delaware game has me questioning myself thought b/c we did not belong on same field. Take away that game and assuming you believe what I am saying, we are just as much in the mix as every CAA team aside from the top 5. Maybe we will be the surprise team. It is a BIG year for us b/c if we fall dramatically short then it could be a few years before we see relevance.

MR. CHICKEN
April 27th, 2023, 09:42 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx ........xnodx..........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
April 27th, 2023, 10:51 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx ........xnodx..........BRAWK!

maybe that zinger we’ll keep Flubby out of here for a while

TribeNomad1
April 27th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Bad offense, Armstrong really off. Story was the new offense was such a big change. Ok, now staff on year two, new QB, let's see how they do. The Miami game was horrible, Miami 3 Virginia 0 at the half. Not much better in 2nd half and then the OT's.

caribbeanhen
April 28th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Second Team all NEC LB is a Bluehen, looks quick and physical

MARJE MULUMBA (https://www.stonehillskyhawks.com/sports/fball/2022-23/bios/mulumba_marje_7v3h)
Yr.:Jr
Pos.:LB
Hgt.:6-2

caribbeanhen
May 6th, 2023, 11:16 PM
Delaware gets another transfer grad student from Harvard

He was honorable mention all Ivy last year

DB Khalil Dawsey

FUBeAR
May 17th, 2023, 12:55 PM
What up wit dis?????

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2023/3/7/insider-report-football-anyone.aspx

Football 3/7/2023

Insider Report: Football Anyone?…
…A couple of new names to keep in mind

Here are two new names to watch for on offense: Logan Tomlinson and Mason Pline. Santos is excited about both…

…Pline is 6-foot-6 and 255 pounds and started his collegiate career as a basketball player at Div. III Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich. before switching over to football and helping the Bulldogs to the last two Div. II national championships. He's been used primarily as a blocking tight end and the Wildcats have plans for him in the passing game as well.

"They run the ball a lot and he's a true in-line blocker and very physical," Santos said.

Ferris State averaged 427 yards of offense (217 rushing and 210 passing) and 35.8 points a game while running up a 14-1 record last fall.

…AND…

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/5/15/furman-football-adds-graduate-transfer-tight-end.aspx

Football 5/15/2023
FURMAN FOOTBALL ADDS GRADUATE TRANSFER TIGHT END

MASON PLINE FROM TWO-TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION FERRIS STATE JOINS PALADINS

GREENVILLE, S.C. – Furman head football coach Clay Hendrix (https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/clay-hendrix/606) announced today the addition of a graduate transfer tight end to the Paladins' program.

Mason Pline, a 6-foot-7, 250-pound product and December 2022 graduate of Ferris State (Mich.) University with a degree in mechanical engineering, has joined Furman's program.

KPSUL
May 17th, 2023, 06:21 PM
What up wit dis?????

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2023/3/7/insider-report-football-anyone.aspx

Football 3/7/2023

Insider Report: Football Anyone?…
…A couple of new names to keep in mind

Here are two new names to watch for on offense: Logan Tomlinson and Mason Pline. Santos is excited about both…

…Pline is 6-foot-6 and 255 pounds and started his collegiate career as a basketball player at Div. III Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich. before switching over to football and helping the Bulldogs to the last two Div. II national championships. He's been used primarily as a blocking tight end and the Wildcats have plans for him in the passing game as well.

"They run the ball a lot and he's a true in-line blocker and very physical," Santos said.

Ferris State averaged 427 yards of offense (217 rushing and 210 passing) and 35.8 points a game while running up a 14-1 record last fall.

…AND…

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/5/15/furman-football-adds-graduate-transfer-tight-end.aspx

Football 5/15/2023
FURMAN FOOTBALL ADDS GRADUATE TRANSFER TIGHT END

MASON PLINE FROM TWO-TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION FERRIS STATE JOINS PALADINS

GREENVILLE, S.C. – Furman head football coach Clay Hendrix (https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/clay-hendrix/606) announced today the addition of a graduate transfer tight end to the Paladins' program.

Mason Pline, a 6-foot-7, 250-pound product and December 2022 graduate of Ferris State (Mich.) University with a degree in mechanical engineering, has joined Furman's program.

Since the Furman post is two months more recent, You'd have to assume they stole him fair and square. Who knows how these things go down, I'd guess he got a partial scholarship from UNH, a full offer from Furman. Either way, good strategy for Coach Hendrix to stalk the UNH website, no Coach and program is better at finding talent where no one else is looking than Rick Santos and New Hampshire.

FUBeAR
May 17th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Since the Furman post is two months more recent, You'd have to assume they stole him fair and square. Who knows how these things go down, I'd guess he got a partial scholarship from UNH, a full offer from Furman. Either way, good strategy for Coach Hendrix to stalk the UNH website, no Coach and program is better at finding talent where no one else is looking than Rick Santos and New Hampshire.
So…losing an announced Recruit 6 weeks after the Head Coach expressed that he was very excited about that Recruit only serves to prove just how good the Head Coach and the program that lost the Recruit are? Got it.

Appreciate the Herculean spin effort, but was wondering if anyone actually knew any (actual) facts around the situation.

KPSUL
May 17th, 2023, 07:07 PM
So…losing an announced Recruit 6 weeks after the Head Coach expressed that he was very excited about that Recruit only serves to prove just how good the Head Coach and the program that lost the Recruit are? Got it.

Appreciate the Herculean spin effort, but was wondering if anyone actually knew any (actual) facts around the situation.

follow the $$$$$. Really it's no big deal, we have a two year starter returning at TE with 540 yards receiving last season. Highly unlikely Pline was offered a full boat coming out of Div 2 with 6 yards on two receptions by cash stingy New Hampshire.

Ask someone at Furman if you're so interested. They should know how they got him. All they know at UNH is that he was, and then he wasn't.

FUBeAR
May 17th, 2023, 07:29 PM
follow the $$$$$. Really it's no big deal, we have a two year starter returning at TE with 540 yards receiving last season. Highly unlikely Pline was offered a full boat coming out of Div 3 with 6 yards on two receptions by cash stingy New Hampshire.

Ask someone at Furman if you're so interested. They should know how they got him. All they know at UNH is that he was, and then he wasn't.
Thanks - 2 responses & 3 paragraphs to say you really don’t know anything about it. Got it.

KPSUL
May 17th, 2023, 09:01 PM
Thanks - 2 responses & 3 paragraphs to say you really don’t know anything about it. Got it.

If I did, you'd be the last to know. In this case there is nothing more worth knowing. Here is something worth knowing:

Hero Sports Top returning FCS TEs

FCS: Top 25 Returning Tight Ends In 2023 - HERO Sports (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-top-returning-2023-tight-ends-bzbz/)