PDA

View Full Version : New Lehigh Head Football Coach

ngineer
December 18th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Will be officially announced tomorrow around 9 a.m. Press conference is scheduled to introduce the new head coach at 3 p.m. at Stabler Arena and all supporters of the program are invited to attend. This was a very high quality group of candidates, and I am very optimistic about a new winning era of Lehigh Football.

Catbooster
December 18th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Good luck with the new coach!

Bill
December 18th, 2022, 07:49 PM
32721I

I'm back....

Just kidding. A fella can dream.

ngineer
December 18th, 2022, 08:55 PM
Will be officially announced tomorrow around 9 a.m. Press conference is scheduled to introduce the new head coach at 3 p.m. at Stabler Arena and all supporters of the program are invited to attend. This was a very high quality group of candidates, and I am very optimistic about a new winning era of Lehigh Football.

Press conference location has been moved to the Smith Conference Center next to the Cundey Performance Center. Probably due to basketball practice conflict at Stabler.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 09:12 PM
Kevin Cahill formally introduced to the Lehigh community this afternoon. The former Assoc. Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator at Yale appeared with his family (wife and three children) and expressed his thanks for the opportunity. He stressed his primary need of recruiting high quality student-athletes that will fit into the culture he wishes to instill with a 'team first" attitude. Priority 1-B will be putting a new staff in place. It is expected a few assistants from the current staff will be kept, but that will be determined in the two weeks that follow once interviews with the coaches have been completed. Cahill has a strong coaching pedigree, having grown up in a coaching family and after some short assistant forays in the college scene right out of college, began to establish himself as an assistant at U of Maine under longtime HC Jack Cosgrove, and then rose through the ranks at Yale beginning in 2012 with Tony Reno, ultimately becoming OC and rising to Associate HC the last 2 two years while continuing as OC. Cahill stressed the need to have one's priorities straight. He exhibited the type of personality that I think will have the players gravitate to him, not just as a football coach, but as a mentor. By all accounts, he is the type of leader that should make Lehigh proud, as well as return the football program to another run of success that that had been experienced for a great majority of the last 50 years. Lehigh's last four years' record of 9-27 was the worse run since the mid-late 1960's. Turnarounds can take some time, but the fans are hopeful that Lehigh will return to his longtime perch atop or near the top of the Patriot League soon. Lehigh will open the 2023 season at home on September 2 versus Villanova.

Fordham
December 20th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Looks like a great hire!!! Congrats Lehigh!

Daytripper
December 20th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Hope the hire works out for you guys!

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2023, 06:49 PM
Rumor on the Lehigh board....

Former Colgate head coach Dan Hunt will be the new OC. Say what?!?!

ngineer
January 8th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Yes!! I heard same from a reliable source.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Yes!! I heard same from a reliable source.

This is comical if true....posted this on the Lehigh board...

I don't get this outside of Cahill feeling he truly needs someone with head coaching experience on his staff to help a rookie coach with some of the administrative/in game decision making processes.

Dan Hunt was 40-33 overall at Colgate, his tenure was a complete roller-coaster from one year to the next. Many close to the Raider program believe former Colgate OC Chris Young was the brains behind Hunt's success and once he left the program following to the 2018 season the program inevitably slipped.

Hunt as an OC at Colgate was boring/unimaginative. Lots of zone read and simple passing schemes. That didn't change much when he head coach. Chris Young simply was a better OC than Hunt who was able to get more out of less.

You also bring in some ethical/negative recruiting aspects. After just getting rid of a head coach who was fired from another PL institution?

There's 100s of far more exciting OC's out there than Hunt. As for a mentor type role? Personally, I would pick someone who wasn't fired from a league rival and basically left the program in shambles....

Kramden
January 8th, 2023, 07:45 PM
Dan Hunt is an excellent coach and could be a good 2-3 year transtion OC for Lehigh IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 8th, 2023, 07:57 PM
Dan Hunt is an excellent coach and could be a good 2-3 year transtion OC for Lehigh IMO.

Define excellent?

What happened in 2019 when he lost Young and took over the OC responsibilities? The team and offense completely crashed and burned. Brenneman went from the Pre-season OPOY to a trainwreck. I was at the season opener against Villanova. That was the beginning of the end for Hunt without Young.

The fact that Colgate's toughest regular season game in 2018 was Bob Chesney's first at Holy Cross was very telling. Then HC crushed Colgate in 2019 31-10....

40-33 and getting terminated for behavior is not an excellent football coach. Especially one who could never adapt, diversify on offense. That's a bit above average. Especially when you consider where Colgate was under Biddle. Biddle was an EXCELLENT coach!!

He never impressed me at Colgate or when I met him. Thought he was extremely flaky before he got run out of Hamilton.

ngineer
January 8th, 2023, 08:56 PM
Define excellent?

What happened in 2019 when he lost Young and took over the OC responsibilities? The team and offense completely crashed and burned. Brenneman went from the Pre-season OPOY to a trainwreck. I was at the season opener against Villanova. That was the beginning of the end for Hunt without Young.

The fact that Colgate's toughest regular season game in 2018 was Bob Chesney's first at Holy Cross was very telling. Then HC crushed Colgate in 2019 31-10....

40-33 and getting terminated for behavior is not an excellent football coach. Especially one who could never adapt, diversify on offense. That's a bit above average. Especially when you consider where Colgate was under Biddle. Biddle was an EXCELLENT coach!!

He never impressed me at Colgate or when I met him. Thought he was extremely flaky before he got run out of Hamilton.

I responded to your comments on the Lehigh Board. I agree that the hiring, if true, reflects a good self-awareness by Cahill of the need to have someone on the sideline or in the box who has had significant head coaching experience. Hunt's record reflects good, productive offense. Cahill, himself, has been an OC, so I would suspect his philosophy, which is to play to your strengths of personnel, will dictate the nature of the offense. Hunt seems to have had a very good year at F&M this past year. As for his 'unexpected' leaving Colgate, all we know is that it was not for any improprieties with staff or students, but was characterized as personal. I would expect that Cahill and Sterrett explored the background and are satisfied that whatever happened has been satisfactorily addressed. On another note, it appears Hunt is a grad of Springfield College, where it appears Cahill is also an alum; so, there may be greater familiarity there that we do not know about.

Doc QB
January 9th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Good programs have good staff personnel. Coordinators who were once head coaches can most surely help build a better program.
Lost in the discussion about the merits of Hunt, is that he left a Nescac school in New England, for F&M, then for Lehigh, same position, but likely a better pay grade.
Even if he did not have HC opportunities, I would see this as a positive that maybe Cahill got the LU Admin to open up the purse to pay more for coordinators to come aboard.
The skeptics would say its all Hunt can get, pay isnt improved. I'll instead hope its an indicator of a better salary pool for assistants and better days ahead with better assistants on the staff as Cahill goes to work.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2023, 08:52 AM
Good programs have good staff personnel. Coordinators who were once head coaches can most surely help build a better program.
Lost in the discussion about the merits of Hunt, is that he left a Nescac school in New England, for F&M, then for Lehigh, same position, but likely a better pay grade.
Even if he did not have HC opportunities, I would see this as a positive that maybe Cahill got the LU Admin to open up the purse to pay more for coordinators to come aboard.
The skeptics would say its all Hunt can get, pay isnt improved. I'll instead hope its an indicator of a better salary pool for assistants and better days ahead with better assistants on the staff as Cahill goes to work.

If Lehigh did indeed have more cash available for coordinators then they should have been used more wisely than to a hire below average offensive mind and former erratic coach (his team's up and down performances are indicative of Hunt personality). This simply looks like nepotism and vouching for PL/HC experience to make-up for professional deficiencies from Cahill's perspective.

I looked at F&M's offensive stats from last year. Nothing remotely stands out. If they didn't get to play a terrible Moravian team (everyone scored on them) the diplomats had a very average (Hunt-like) offense.

Hunt as an OC is simply mind-numbing unless they're bringing in Chris Young. I wouldn't want Hunt running my high school's offense.....

Not like Cahill was a transcending OC either. I was really hoping he would hire would high someone young, energetic and imaginative to run the offense. As it is, he hired arguably the most boring PL offensive mind in the last 20 years.....

ngineer
January 9th, 2023, 08:42 PM
If I recall, Hunt was Biddle’s OC for several years. I also recall the Raiders offenses were fairly productive during that time frame. A number of Colgate alums think Hunt was very good and were upset at his leaving. If winning is boring, then I’m ready. My blood pressure the past few years has suffered. I think we support our team and place some confidence that Cahill will be surrounding himself with people whose opinions he values. Hanging crepe on this decision simply reflects a negative attitude without basis.

Gate83
January 10th, 2023, 06:52 PM
I was never sure Hunt was the long-term answer as Biddle's successor... but he's a good guy who got railroaded out of town by a woke AD who happily now works in Ithaca.

Chris Young as some sort of offensive savant is not the case, he ran the same offense Dan ran for years under Biddle. Most folks up here would love some innovation in our offensive scheme, it didn't come from either Chris or Dan. Young was also let go under murky circumstances which screwed up our women's lax team (Young's wife was the head coach), but that's a different story...

Anyway, wish Dan all the best as I like him personally & thought he got a raw deal from our higher ups. For what it's worth he's well regarded by other coaches (ours and opponents) and by his former players. I've always rooted for Laffy in the annual game but with Dan on the other sideline that could change...

crusader11
January 10th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Dan Hunt isn’t that great of a coach and isn’t that great of a guy.

Questionable first big move by Cahill.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 10th, 2023, 07:17 PM
Crusader, (quote feature isn't working!)

I am completely with you on this! I'm not drinking the brown and white Kool-Aid and saying these offseason moves are good. In fact, I find this whole process to be extremely puzzling. Hunt is not a good offensive mind. He's boring/archaic/draconian etc.

This just reeks of Cahill knowing he's professionally deficient and in need of guidence, Hunt selling his motivation to prove to the PL world he got screwed as a head coach (ala Tom Gilmore) while relying on the Springfield bond to get him hired.

The best Hunt could do is the OC on an unproven, first-time head coach's staff? Noone in the D1 coaching fraternity would offer him something better? Really? IMO, makes sense given Hunt's questionable, up/down professional resume. He's erratic.....

The other interesting dynamic this presents. Does Hunt see this as a path to a head coaching gig if Cahill leaves in 2 or 3 years (successful or not)? I am assuming the two talked about their professional ambitions....

I thought he was a total flake at Colgate. Spent many posts going back and furth with my Raider friends saying in 2016-2020 he can't be trusted.....

crusader11
January 10th, 2023, 07:54 PM
Seems like on the surface it’s a smart hire — former PL head coach who had some success, ostensibly knows the league inside out given his long tenure at Colgate, and a guy who has a chip on his shoulder. Probably wants nothing more than to beat Colgate and get Lehigh back to the top of the league.

But, he’s just not that good of a coach. To Owl’s earlier point, Chesney took a rag tag HC team in 2018 with none of his recruits really seeing the field and nearly beat a Colgate team that advanced to the quarters. They put up 17 points against Colgate with a QB (Emmet Clifford) who was benched after that game for pretty much the rest of the season. Had Geoff Wade started that game, HC probably wins.

Anyways, that’s getting a bit off topic, but I’m just not sure what the Hunt move accomplishes for the Lehigh offense. If anything, what this tells me and it wouldn’t surprise me…if Hunt is basically an associated head coach while Cahill calls the offense…

ngineer
January 11th, 2023, 09:44 PM
I love how all of these savants have psychologically devined the motives and abilities of these people. Classic example of today's world where everyone with a keyboard is now a pontificator without portfolio.
Regardless, I am optimistic about the new hires, as well that our frosh QB is staying at Lehigh, which is excellent news. The key will be recruiting the next two years. The balance of the coaching staff should be solidified within the next two weeks. Word is some existing coach(s) on the defensive side, so far, is/are staying.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2023, 01:16 AM
Hunt will do a credible job, IMO.

At Colgate, he was working for an Athletic Director who wanted to find a way to de-emphasize Football and Hockey (the latter of which she declared a "second-tier sport") at Colgate.

We will never know the reason(s) for his departure, as the University is not obligated to release them (no doubt non-disclosure agreements were involved).

40-33 with two Quarterfinal appearances and a Lambert Cup was certainly solid work.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2023, 09:07 AM
I love how all of these savants have psychologically devined the motives and abilities of these people. Classic example of today's world where everyone with a keyboard is now a pontificator without portfolio.
Regardless, I am optimistic about the new hires, as well that our frosh QB is staying at Lehigh, which is excellent news. The key will be recruiting the next two years. The balance of the coaching staff should be solidified within the next two weeks. Word is some existing coach(s) on the defensive side, so far, is/are staying.

It's actually called paying attention/doing your homework ngineer!

Hopefully Kashurba is one of those who will be gone. He has had plenty of time to prove his worth at Bucknell, Holy Cross and Lehigh. Mediocre at best DC....

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Hunt will do a credible job, IMO.

At Colgate, he was working for an Athletic Director who wanted to find a way to de-emphasize Football and Hockey (the latter of which she declared a "second-tier sport") at Colgate.

We will never know the reason(s) for his departure, as the University is not obligated to release them (no doubt non-disclosure agreements were involved).

40-33 with two Quarterfinal appearances and a Lambert Cup was certainly solid work.

"Credible" job? Isn't that the basis for how he got the position in the first place? Now he actually has to prove it.

How about his coaching ability as it relates to 2019? The handing of the offense, development/usage of Brenneman (knowing injury risks of a running QB), taking over OC duties rather than hiring someone competent to replace Young, not being prepared to start the game/season against Villanova as a Top 20 team etc.?

2016 was a similar story.

Hunt simply never could establish anything consistent like Chesney, Moorhead, Coen, Biddle, Higgins, Clawson etc. Heck, even Tavani had a more consistent run from 2004-2009.

BTW, Colgate hoops is 5-0 in PL play for the first time since 96-97! Langel was a great addition to the Raider Family! Not all is lost in Hamilton. Granted, Dakotsy needs to win or get out this year....

RichH2
January 12th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Silbor staying is a big plus for Lehigh program.
Admit to mixed emotions on Cahill and Hunt but I see little sense in predicting disasters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2023, 10:04 AM
Silbor staying is a big plus for Lehigh program.
Admit to mixed emotions on Cahill and Hunt but I see little sense in predicting disasters.

What has Silbor proven Rich? While it's nice to have a kid with 3 years of experience he played so very little the claims that he is "excellent" is completely unfounded and overtly subjective at this point.

There is a difference between being optimistic and realistic. Perhaps, individuals like myself and, two of our younger HC friends, are cursed by the fact we actually pay VERY close attention to PL football and FCS as a whole? I try to be as candid and honest as possible regardless if I'm talking about Lehigh, Fordham, Holy Cross, Colgate, Lafayette, etc because, one, I honestly give a damn and, two, as a result I invest a lot of time learning (within context) about what makes these programs tick so when so push comes to shove I'm prepared.

I did not go to Lehigh. My lenses are no more brown and white than they are maroon and white or orange and blue or gray and blue. I've attended more Colgate games in the last 4 years than Lehigh games. Over a 3 year span (2019-2022) I've made as many trips to the Fargo Dome as I have to Goodman Stadium, one.....

RichH2
January 12th, 2023, 10:35 AM
What has Silbor proven Rich? While it's nice to have a kid with 3 years of experience he played so very little the claims that he is "excellent" is completely unfounded and overtly subjective at this point.

There is a difference between being optimistic and realistic. Perhaps, individuals like myself and, two of our younger HC friends, are cursed by the fact we actually pay VERY close attention to PL football and FCS as a whole? I try to be as candid and honest as possible regardless if I'm talking about Lehigh, Fordham, Holy Cross, Colgate, Lafayette, etc because, one, I honestly give a damn and, two, as a result I invest a lot of time learning (within context) about what makes these programs tick so when so push comes to shove I'm prepared.

I did not go to Lehigh. My lenses are no more brown and white than they are maroon and white or orange and blue or gray and blue. I've attended more Colgate games in the last 4 years than Lehigh games. Over a 3 year span (2019-2022) I've made as many trips to the Fargo Dome as I have to Goodman Stadium, one.....
Given the current QB room,his retention is a plus. He has the tools. Will he succeed? I dunno but I'd rather start with a raw talented QB rather than a raft of limited older QBs. Is Hunt the guy to coach him up? That may be the real question.

ngineer
January 13th, 2023, 01:45 PM
Hiring a new coach entails a lot to consider besides data points. As wonderful a person and coach as Andy Coen, he too had a number of down years. A lot of factors go into a win- loss record. Beyond the numbers, are a lot of intangibles when evaluating a head coach for a PL school. The interview process was extensive which included involvement by football alumni who have invested a lot into the program beyond monetary contributions; and, who were strongly impressed with Cahill in terms of his vision and as a man capable of leading our program.

Lehigh'98
January 18th, 2023, 07:41 AM
Looks like LU hired Rich Nagy, head coach at D3 Allegheny College, as DC. He has a lot of D1 DC experience at different places. Seems like Cahill is trying to surround himself with experienced coaches as a first time HC.

RichH2
January 18th, 2023, 01:04 PM
We put up the current list of new coaches on the Lehigh Bd. 2 Yale assts coming with Cahill. Kashurba is the LB coach. A few more assts needed to fill out roster.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 18th, 2023, 06:47 PM
Allegheny was an atrocious 3-7 this past year. Their defense was abysmal in those 7 losses; yielded 42, 42, 66, 35, 44, 52, 54. Going back years Allegheny generally stinks with their defense being a big reason why. They get half-a-hundred hung them on the reg.....

I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid...no way, no how. Cahill has surrounded himself with 2 flaky/subpar former head coaches who have bounced around and were begging for another stop on the carousel. This is embarrassing.....

Lehigh 74
January 18th, 2023, 09:55 PM
Owl, your negativity is epoch. It's not uncommon for an excellent coordinator, to be a lousy head coach. It happens all the time. One example is a guy named Tom Gilmore. Ever hear of him? Almost by definition, someone who gets a head coaching gig, gets it because they proved to be an excellent coordinator.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 18th, 2023, 10:24 PM
Owl, your negativity is epoch. It's not uncommon for an excellent coordinator, to be a lousy head coach. It happens all the time. One example is a guy named Tom Gilmore. Ever hear of him? Almost by definition, someone who gets a head coaching gig, gets it because they proved to be an excellent coordinator.

It's not negativity when some critical analysis is applied...

Why the reliance on retreads? Where's the confidence in oneself to identify an up and coming coordinator/LB/DL/Secondary etc. coach to provide some energy and ambition to the staff as DC? Cahill is supposed to be this young, well versed guy yet he hires two 50+ old former head coaches/coordinators (journeymen at this point) with up and down success at best. Nagy's defenses at ODU stunk when he was the DC! There's a reason his professional trajectory has gone from FBS DC to a subpar D3 head coaching gig to DC at Lehigh during the program's lowest point in 60 years. He did have some good defenses at Maine 20+ years ago when he was the DC in Orono. Sadly, the game has changed since then....

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_79de28be-f0cc-11e8-abf5-a7530c761c8f.html

Old Dominion football coach Bobby Wilder on Sunday announced the dismissal of defensive coordinator Rich Nagy and three other assistant coaches, in a shakeup of his staff after a disappointing 4-8 season.

So Lehigh's OC was canned by Colgate and will be on his 4th school in the last 4 years while their DC was fired for poor performance last time he was a DC at D1 school. Nagy will be on his 3rd school in 5 years....

crusader11
January 19th, 2023, 08:27 AM
Big question -- What budget has Cahill been given to round out his staff? This often answers a lot of questions.

ngineer
January 19th, 2023, 09:09 AM
The experience Nagy brings to the table reminds me of DC Kotulski who came in with Coen when Andy had his first, and only, HC job. Having one or two voices from people who “have been there” is not a bad thing. You trust the HC to weigh the pros and cons of a plan and manage accordingly. No one is perfect, and perfection is not expected. It looks like an eclectic group of coaches that Cahill is gathering and, hopefully, there will be a good synergy that will excite the players. Cahill comes across as a solid guy who’s bent on creating a strong supportive culture that seems to have been lacking in recent years. Having a good mix of experience on the staff should be beneficial.

Doc QB
January 20th, 2023, 08:27 AM
It appears Cahill is putting together a staff with pretty broad backgrounds.
The OC and DC have been discussed. Old Colgate HC, the other Div3 HC but with longstanding history in college coaching.
Position guys are interesting, and while folks may be dismayed we could not attract a lower level up and comer as a coordinator, the assists may have some of that.
One was an national assist of year, as a lower level OC, will be our OL coach.
One other position coach is a young guy, have been analyst/GA at FBS Nebraska/played at UCF.
Will be interested in the entire staff when a press release is given and see how they recruit the remainder of this cycle, and then spring ball.

Southsider
January 20th, 2023, 12:05 PM
The OC and DC have been discussed. Old Colgate HC, the other Div3 HC but with longstanding history in college coaching.
Position guys are interesting, and while folks may be dismayed we could not attract a lower level up and comer as a coordinator, the assists may have some of that.
One other position coach is a young guy, have been analyst/GA at FBS Nebraska/played at UCF.
Will be interested in the entire staff when a press release is given and see how they recruit the remainder of this cycle, and then spring ball.

Well, this is what we all wanted. A fresh start. I am excited for next September!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this is what we all wanted. A fresh start. I am excited for next September!

ngineer
January 20th, 2023, 08:22 PM

Like I said, "eclectic" (;-) Some older, some younger, varied backgrounds and experience. So far, the only hold over is Kashurba, but reportedly will not be DC, but LB/Special Teams Coordinator. If so, I am glad to see some emphasis on Special teams. We have lost about 3 games a year over the past few due to poor ST play.

Go...gate
January 20th, 2023, 10:17 PM

+1

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 20th, 2023, 10:27 PM
+1

Plus explain your +1 when considering...

Lehigh74's premise was Nagy was an excellent DC and to ignore his time as a head coach. The problem with what 74 said is Nagy was literally fired for being a subpar DC the last time he was one! Then at Allegheny he neither could help the defense or put the people in place to at least make it "not terrible". To me that raises significant concern in terms of scheme and personnel/assistant coaching identification. Also, why would someone take the Allegheny head job to begin with? That's a place you go when options are EXTREMELY limited.....

Plus, Hunt has shown no commitment to either Amherst or F&M after his coaching career was on the rocks by bolting after 1 year. He's a transfer portal coach. As it is, I just don't like the guy....

I am really trying to understand the context and perspective these conclusions are being drawn from when looking at these individuals professional history/resume and data. At least Gilmore isn't there! However, as it is, this staff has A LOT to prove. I love that Villanova starts the year! No where to hide just like with Gilmore and Co.!

Looking at the schedule, 6 or 7 wins should be the expectation.....

Go...gate
January 20th, 2023, 10:34 PM
What explanation is needed? I agreed with 74's post, particularly the part about coordinators becoming Head Coaches.

Who would you have hired?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 20th, 2023, 10:59 PM
What explanation is needed? I agreed with 74's post, particularly the part about coordinators becoming Head Coaches.

Who would you have hired?

But Nagy took the head coaching gig AFTER he was fired as defensive coordinator at ODU. Based on 74's post, I don't think he had a clue Nagy was canned for his subpar job as DC at ODU which he came at me for, for being negative. I simply stated a fact that was representative of something negative (being fired, objectively/unbiased bad defensive stats) thus he made it as if I was being negative. Sorry for being the messenger.

I would have hired someone with a better recent history than Nagy and Hunt. Honestly, if Cahill hired two guys I never heard of I would be more intrigued, excited. As it is, I'm cursed by following Colgate closely (I have been VERY consistent on my Hunt stance (do not like him) for years, not going to change simply because he's a "Lehigh Guy" now) and ODU/G5 football (due to Temple). Colgate could have benefited from freeing themselves from Hunt (Chesney would have embarrassed him) by hiring someone more consistent/professionally stable but the timing of his termination forced them into a bad/rushed hire.

I will be locked into Dakosty and Colgate this year! Very much interested to see how the change in AD affects Colgate's decision making processes as it pertains to the success/failure threshold for football. To me Colgate 2023 is Lehigh 2022. Colgate is out of excuses! Win!

Go...gate
January 21st, 2023, 01:13 AM
"I will be locked into Dakosty and Colgate this year! Very much interested to see how the change in AD affects Colgate's decision making processes as it pertains to the success/failure threshold for football. To me Colgate 2023 is Lehigh 2022. Colgate is out of excuses! Win!"

Respectfully, why is there any special pressure on Colgate? And what excuses has it made?

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2023, 02:01 AM
I feel constrained to add that the departure of Colgate's AD, Moore, has not been without incident. Notwithstanding her proclamation that she considered Hockey a "second-tier" sport, the Men upset #1 Quinnipiac this evening.

Pards Rule
January 22nd, 2023, 07:31 AM
"I will be locked into Dakosty and Colgate this year! Very much interested to see how the change in AD affects Colgate's decision making processes as it pertains to the success/failure threshold for football. To me Colgate 2023 is Lehigh 2022. Colgate is out of excuses! Win!"

Respectfully, why is there any special pressure on Colgate? And what excuses has it made?

What happened to Dan Hunt who was fricking fired? What did he do? Hes a Lehigh now?!

Southsider
January 22nd, 2023, 07:35 AM
Plus explain your +1 when considering...

Lehigh74's premise was Nagy was an excellent DC and to ignore his time as a head coach. The problem with what 74 said is Nagy was literally fired for being a subpar DC the last time he was one! Then at Allegheny he neither could help the defense or put the people in place to at least make it "not terrible". To me that raises significant concern in terms of scheme and personnel/assistant coaching identification. Also, why would someone take the Allegheny head job to begin with? That's a place you go when options are EXTREMELY limited.....

Plus, Hunt has shown no commitment to either Amherst or F&M after his coaching career was on the rocks by bolting after 1 year. He's a transfer portal coach. As it is, I just don't like the guy....

I am really trying to understand the context and perspective these conclusions are being drawn from when looking at these individuals professional history/resume and data. At least Gilmore isn't there! However, as it is, this staff has A LOT to prove. I love that Villanova starts the year! No where to hide just like with Gilmore and Co.!

Looking at the schedule, 6 or 7 wins should be the expectation.....

Owl, you think too much. Let's see how it plays out.

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2023, 06:11 PM
What happened to Dan Hunt who was fricking fired? What did he do? Hes a Lehigh now?!

With the silencing of things regarding the AD's sudden departure, I'm starting to wonder what Hunt's alleged "indiscretion" really was.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 23rd, 2023, 12:40 PM
With the silencing of things regarding the AD's sudden departure, I'm starting to wonder what Hunt's alleged "indiscretion" really was.

The whole thing is fascinating. What makes it a bit more "interesting" to me is Colgate's ability to keep Langel (he's a former Temple assistant/Penn grad). Granted, by all accounts he and his family really enjoy Hamilton. Even so, he's been well-courted the last 2-3 years. If the Colgate athletic department was a less than ideal place to work I figured Matt would have bolted.

Bottom-line, I really want Colgate and Lehigh to return to the top of the PL. Getting rid of Gilmore was a big first step for Lehigh but they still have to replace him with "better", "much better". At this point it's a very "unique staff" staff imo. Time will tell how the next 11 months play out for the Raiders....

ngineer
January 25th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Reportedly, Cahill has a good number of kids visiting campus this weekend. They get to take in the "Grace Hall experience" as the wrestlers take on #10 Arizona State in the Pit. Both teams are missing some starters, so it will be interesting how close the match will be. The excitement in a big match before a big crowd in Grace that goes down to the wire is a unique experience. Despite current snow, weather for weekend looks promising. The annual football dinner is February 5, where we will get to meet the new coaching staff.

ngineer
January 26th, 2023, 06:16 PM
Entire new coaching staff at Lehigh officially announced. On University website.

Go...gate
January 27th, 2023, 12:20 AM
Reportedly, Cahill has a good number of kids visiting campus this weekend. They get to take in the "Grace Hall experience" as the wrestlers take on #10 Arizona State in the Pit. Both teams are missing some starters, so it will be interesting how close the match will be. The excitement in a big match before a big crowd in Grace that goes down to the wire is a unique experience. Despite current snow, weather for weekend looks promising. The annual football dinner is February 5, where we will get to meet the new coaching staff.

Nice intersectional matchup!

ngineer
January 27th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Nice intersectional matchup!

Yep. Lehigh and ASU have been meeting frequently over the past few years. Alums like the away matches for obvious reasons!
Watch out for our basketball team may be sneaking up. Big game on 2/8!😉😁