PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Expected and Unexpected

CSN-info
November 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
The CSN Way: Expected and Unexpected
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

Imagine it’s November 18th, and it’s around 1PM. Bubble teams across the nation are nervously awaiting the results of the playoff brackets. The buzz has been building since yesterday, when the regular season ended for all the playoff hopefuls. And suddenly, college cafeterias from Amherst, MA to Missoula, MT go quiet to await the pairings. Who will be among the 16 teams vying for the national championship? The anticipation is at an all-time high. And then, something happens that nobody expects. “And playing at McNeese State in the first round of the playoffs…. Bob, is this a typo? Is that... Prairie View A&M?”

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88694

OL FU
November 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Indiana State over No. 22 Youngstown State
If there was ever a time for the Sycamores to get their first win of the year, it’s right here, right now against a Penguin team that has dropped three of four and nearly lost to 0-7 Southern Utah as well. You laugh now, but wait and see.
Tall Trees 24, Tiny Penguins 21

I laughedxlolx

Enjoyed reading the new versionxnodx

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Indiana State over No. 22 Youngstown State
If there was ever a time for the Sycamores to get their first win of the year, it’s right here, right now against a Penguin team that has dropped three of four and nearly lost to 0-7 Southern Utah as well. You laugh now, but wait and see.
Tall Trees 24, Tiny Penguins 21

I laughedxlolx

Enjoyed reading the new versionxnodx

Was Cap'n Cat a contributing writer to this weeks column or what?

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Posted the article on SWACPage...

Hope they read it as it lends credibility to the fact that the conference may be able to get a team into the hunt for a national title, something they have not had a shot at since 1997...

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Chuck you're getting better every week. You may wanna re-evaluate that Hofstra pick as Huggins may be done for the year, def out for this week.

URMite
November 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
How about Richmond & Prairie View meet in Chatty? I remember two or three years in the late seventies when we were the 2 worst teams in Div I. We could use it as our 30th anniversary of bottoming out. :p At least I hope that was bottom. xeekx

I agree that his summary seems to indicate he hasn't heard about Huggins.

So Holy Cross & JSU over EWU & JMU? Gee, we could start another pros & cons thread.xnonono2x

Syntax Error
November 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
AAMU and/or PVAMU in the bracket!???! Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

mikebigg
November 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
AAMU and/or PVAMU in the bracket!???! Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I'd like to see that for those teams...whichever/whomever. To me, PV has the second best defensive squad in the conference.

UMass922
November 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Very intriguing situation. It will almost certainly take a number of upsets around the country, though, to open up a spot for one of the SWAC teams. If only this year's SWAC season had coincided with last year's shortage of eight-win teams for at-large playoff berths. As things stand now, it looks like there are already going to be eight-win teams left out of the playoffs, so Prairie View and AAMU would just be two more among many. But again, a rash of upsets could change that and open something up. In any case, it's one more thing to root for during the remainder of the regular season . . . it's always fun to see some fresh faces in the playoffs.

putter
November 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
The Griz lose by double-digits at home to PSU? Wow that is a statement. Then again, Chuck, didn't you pick Ft. Lewis to beat Montana? xlolx xconfusedx

texcap
November 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I don't think that PV A&M will make it to the playoffs, although I would love to see it as a victory for the struggles that program went through in the 1990's. I think it is great that they have bounced back.

I heard the PV A&M AD on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday afternoon talking about the resurgance of Panther football.

Syntax Error
November 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
PVAMU only plays 10 games too. Probably AAMU has a stronger shot at it.

UMass922
November 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
PVAMU only plays 10 games too. Probably AAMU has a stronger shot at it.

Well, all of PVAMU's games are D-I. AAMU has one sub-D-I on its schedule--as do a lot of teams that are in playoff contention. So when it comes down to it, the committee will be looking at ten D-I games for PVAMU just as for a lot of others. I don't think that's a huge issue.

PVAMU does have a lot left to prove, though. No real quality wins so far. AAMU has beaten Tennessee State and Southern, at least--so I'd agree that they have a stronger shot.

Syntax Error
November 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Well, all of PVAMU's games are D-I. AAMU has one sub-D-I on its schedule--as do a lot of teams that are in playoff contention. So when it comes down to it, the committee will be looking at ten D-I games for PVAMU just as for a lot of others. I don't think that's a huge issue.

PVAMU does have a lot left to prove, though. No real quality wins so far. AAMU has beaten Tennessee State and Southern, at least--so I'd agree that they have a stronger shot.PVAMU could beat AAMU in their last game. xthumbsupx

Mr. Tiger
November 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Alabama A&M has the best shot. If JSU beats Alabama A&M and AAMU wins its last two games, they will be 9-2 with 8 Div. I wins.

By the way, Prairie View has a very fast defense. xnodx

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Having a very enjoyable discussion on SWAC Page...

http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1314311

Jafus, who I respect a great deal, believes the SWAC title game is better exposure than the playoffs. Not sure how that is possible as the game is on ESPNU while certain teams can look to have two, if not more games televised during a run in the playoffs on ESPN or ESPN2 -- networks actually picked up by most providers (see UConn/ESPNU issue)...

Panther88
November 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Nice read and nice commentary!xthumbsupx

TT, SHSU/PVAMU next year? xreadx Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Question: what do people think about the possibility that the West/Southwest may have a shortage of qualified teams come playoff time?

I happen to think an 8-2 PV A&M team, with a win over AAMU, would be a pretty good bet for the playoffs... Having only 10 games hurts a little, but they did play all D-I teams. If you think about it, it's no different than a team that played D-II Dixie State..

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Nice read and nice commentary!xthumbsupx

TT, SHSU/PVAMU next year? xreadx Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

If PVA&M wants to take it to the next level...playing SHSU or other SLC teams is something that needs to be done! With the way the league has been playing as of late, PV may be able to pick up a win... xnodx