PDA

View Full Version : FCS teams to the FBS

GRIZNATION
November 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not sure if this was already posted, discussed but it looks like there are some new requirements coming for those schools looking to switch to the Bowl Subdivision.

Here is the take from the Montana AD on the thought of the Grizzlies moving to FBS.

Griz gameday AD report - Eastern Washington
by: Jim O'Day of the UM Athletic Department
Monday, 10/08/2007

The talk of moving to Division I-A (the Football Bowl Subdivision) in football is often asked by many Griz fans. In most instances, such a decision may be made for the wrong reasons.

Western Kentucky is the latest school to announce a move upward, starting with the 2008 football season. In their opener next year, the Hilltoppers face the Alabama Crimson Tide, a program that produces more than $44 million annually in football ticket sales alone (thus the reason why head coach Nick Saban commands a yearly salary of $4 million). By comparison, the entire Sun Belt Conference generated a total of $23 million in football ticket sales among its eight-member schools. Western Kentucky joins the Sun Belt in 2009.

A school moving up is often lured by the prospects of increased revenue projections from corporate marketing opportunities, ticket sales, publicity, donations and/or dreams of advancing to a bowl game. However, that is rarely the case.

With its inclusion, Western Kentucky will be the 120th school at the FBS level. That number will remain the same for a few more years because in August, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors put a four-year moratorium on any similar moves, citing a need to re-evaluate criteria for maintaining membership at the I-A membership level. However, the 20 schools that have already begun the lengthy process to become a FBS member will be allowed to proceed. Neither Montana nor Montana State is one of those 20 schools.

Boise State and Idaho are stark contrasts of schools that have made the leap to I-A football. The Broncos have won five Western Athletic Conference titles in a row and had a memorable 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in last January's Fiesta Bowl. The Vandals, meanwhile, are 14-45 since 2002 and have gone through three head coaches over that time. Since moving up, Idaho has competed in the Big West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference and now the WAC. Currently, the Boise State athletic program produces three to four times as much revenue as its rival from Moscow.

Without a doubt, money is a key factor in making such a decision. Those that have it succeed, those who don't tend to struggle. Although Boise State may have made millions from its Fiesta Bowl win, the odds are against most schools who don't compete in the six major conferences whose teams regularly appear in the higher-paying BCS bowls.

To be competitive, significant amounts of money are required to update facilities, pay salaries, offer game guarantees and even find a conference willing to accept them as a member. Those funds would have to come from sources such as increased ticket pricing, additional luxury suite charges, higher student fees, more university/state dollars and private funding.

Since 1996, here are the records of the schools who have moved up to Division I heading into this season: University of Alabama at Birmingham (57-68, with a 0-1 bowl record), Boise State (99-37, with a 6-1 bowl record), University of Buffalo (12-79, with no bowl appearances), University of Central Florida (58-68, with a 0-1 bowl record), University of Connecticut (37-44, with a 0-1 bowl record), Florida Atlantic (7-16, with no bowl appearances), Florida International (5-18, with no bowl appearances), University of Idaho (47-79, with a 1-0 bowl record), Marshall University (88-37, with a 5-2 bowl record), Middle Tennessee University (41-51, with a 0-1 bowl record), University of South Florida (43-26, with a 1-1 bowl record) and Troy State (29-31, with a 1-1 bowl record). Boise State, Marshall University and Southern Florida are the schools which have made the easiest and most economically-feasible transitions, and all produce considerable dollars from ticket sales and donor contributions that have allowed them to succeed. Others have not been as fortunate.

Football revenues usually fuel the train. Based on figures for the reporting period 2002-06, football revenues accounted for an average of $60.7 million of Ohio State's yearly total $104.7 million brought into the athletics department coffers. Meanwhile at Notre Dame, the Fighting Irish football team accounted for $61.4 million of the school's $78.1 million, helped of course by a lucrative television package the school has with NBC.

Among FCS schools, the University of Montana was second in average generated football revenues over that same period ($5.1 million annually, compared to Delaware at $5.4 million). The entire UM Athletics budget is roughly $11.5 million. UM is the only FCS school in the western United States in the top 10 in average football revenue produced. Others in the Top 10 are Bethune Cookman ($4.2 million), Appalachian State ($4.07 million), Liberty ($4.02 million), Fordham ($3.994 million), Southern ($3.864 million), Furman ($3.756 million), Tennessee State ($3.709 million) and Colgate ($3.681 million).

The argument to consider moving to Division I-A status in football (UM participates at the I-A level in all sports but football) will continue to be discussed and debated by Griz fans everywhere. While these are healthy discussions and serve a useful purpose, it is apparent from our point of view that we're in a good place right now. Should a change be considered in the future for any reason, our goal is to be in position to make good, informed decisions. Stay tuned.

UCABEARS75
November 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
And all the people said (well at least those of us with good sense).....AMEN!!!!!!

BisonBacker
November 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
People like to talk about it and the lure to FBS for some fans is strong but it is what it is. A very steep hill to climb. I think only a few FCS schools right now could even consider this and even those schools the move would be difficult. I like where NDSU is right now but we are already hearing it from some fans. I say lets win at this level first and see where things develop in a 5-10 years. If Montana was to go and a few others I would be all for NDSU going but right now I don't see it for at least 5-10 years if not longer.

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Monday, 10/08/2007

With its inclusion, Western Kentucky will be the 120th school at the FBS level. That number will remain the same for a few more years because in August, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors put a four-year moratorium on any similar moves, citing a need to re-evaluate criteria for maintaining membership at the I-A membership level. However, the 20 schools that have already begun the lengthy process to become a FBS member will be allowed to proceed. Neither Montana nor Montana State is one of those 20 schools.

That is not accurate.

The 20 schools are actually begining the lenghty process to become Division I schools, not to become FBS programs.

appfan2008
November 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
That is not accurate.

The 20 schools are actually begining the lenghty process to become Division I schools, not to become FBS programs.

I was going to say...who are these so called 20 schools?

DetroitFlyer
November 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
What, you mean that FCS is cost containment football? Gee who would of thunk that could be the case....

Griz0383
November 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
As a Montana fan I love the FCS and I haven't heard a desire to move up in years. Losing is depressing and depressed fans don't spend money. The probability of Montana finding success at FBS level IMO is very small. I couldn't handle being a doormat in FBS conference with an ocasional 6-5 season and a joke of a bowl game. I hope the FCS fan base grows a bit every year! It wouild require some research to measure the growth and I am not willing to do it but I bet it's tracked and documented since there is a bottem line!

BlueHen86
November 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think it's worth moving to FBS unless you can move directly in to a BCS conference - like UConn did (BTW UConn won their only bowl game, the article has them at 0 - 1 in bowls).

I wouldn't want the Hens to move up unless they were going to join the ACC or Big East, neither of which are even remotely likely possiblities at this time.xtwocentsx

Ronbo
November 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Insider talk (rumors) coming from the AD's office is that FCS or I-AA football is a money loser for the NCAA and many participating schools. It will be fazed out in 5-10 years. Some schools going to Divison I and the rest either dropping football or going back to Division II. Just rumors, boys. Stay tuned.xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this was already posted, discussed but it looks like there are some new requirements coming for those schools looking to switch to the Bowl Subdivision.

Here is the take from the Montana AD on the thought of the Grizzlies moving to FBS.

Monday, 10/08/2007

The talk of moving to Division I-A (the Football Bowl Subdivision) in football is often asked by many Griz fans. In most instances, such a decision may be made for the wrong reasons.

Western Kentucky is the latest school to announce a move upward, starting with the 2008 football season. In their opener next year, the Hilltoppers face the Alabama Crimson Tide, a program that produces more than $44 million annually in football ticket sales alone (thus the reason why head coach Nick Saban commands a yearly salary of $4 million). By comparison, the entire Sun Belt Conference generated a total of $23 million in football ticket sales among its eight-member schools. Western Kentucky joins the Sun Belt in 2009.

A school moving up is often lured by the prospects of increased revenue projections from corporate marketing opportunities, ticket sales, publicity, donations and/or dreams of advancing to a bowl game. However, that is rarely the case.

Boise State and Idaho are stark contrasts of schools that have made the leap to I-A football. The Broncos have won five Western Athletic Conference titles in a row and had a memorable 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in last January's Fiesta Bowl. The Vandals, meanwhile, are 14-45 since 2002 and have gone through three head coaches over that time. Since moving up, Idaho has competed in the Big West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference and now the WAC. Currently, the Boise State athletic program produces three to four times as much revenue as its rival from Moscow.

Without a doubt, money is a key factor in making such a decision. Those that have it succeed, those who don't tend to struggle. Although Boise State may have made millions from its Fiesta Bowl win, the odds are against most schools who don't compete in the six major conferences whose teams regularly appear in the higher-paying BCS bowls.

To be competitive, significant amounts of money are required to update facilities, pay salaries, offer game guarantees and even find a conference willing to accept them as a member. Those funds would have to come from sources such as increased ticket pricing, additional luxury suite charges, higher student fees, more university/state dollars and private funding.

Since 1996, here are the records of the schools who have moved up to Division I heading into this season: University of Alabama at Birmingham (57-68, with a 0-1 bowl record), Boise State (99-37, with a 6-1 bowl record), University of Buffalo (12-79, with no bowl appearances), University of Central Florida (58-68, with a 0-1 bowl record), University of Connecticut (37-44, with a 0-1 bowl record), Florida Atlantic (7-16, with no bowl appearances), Florida International (5-18, with no bowl appearances), University of Idaho (47-79, with a 1-0 bowl record), Marshall University (88-37, with a 5-2 bowl record), Middle Tennessee University (41-51, with a 0-1 bowl record), University of South Florida (43-26, with a 1-1 bowl record) and Troy State (29-31, with a 1-1 bowl record). Boise State, Marshall University and Southern Florida are the schools which have made the easiest and most economically-feasible transitions, and all produce considerable dollars from ticket sales and donor contributions that have allowed them to succeed. Others have not been as fortunate.

Football revenues usually fuel the train. Based on figures for the reporting period 2002-06, football revenues accounted for an average of $60.7 million of Ohio State's yearly total $104.7 million brought into the athletics department coffers. Meanwhile at Notre Dame, the Fighting Irish football team accounted for $61.4 million of the school's $78.1 million, helped of course by a lucrative television package the school has with NBC.

Among FCS schools, the University of Montana was second in average generated football revenues over that same period ($5.1 million annually, compared to Delaware at $5.4 million). The entire UM Athletics budget is roughly $11.5 million. UM is the only FCS school in the western United States in the top 10 in average football revenue produced. Others in the Top 10 are Bethune Cookman ($4.2 million), Appalachian State ($4.07 million), Liberty ($4.02 million), Fordham ($3.994 million), Southern ($3.864 million), Furman ($3.756 million), Tennessee State ($3.709 million) and Colgate ($3.681 million).
The argument to consider moving to Division I-A status in football (UM participates at the I-A level in all sports but football) will continue to be discussed and debated by Griz fans everywhere. While these are healthy discussions and serve a useful purpose, it is apparent from our point of view that we're in a good place right now. Should a change be considered in the future for any reason, our goal is to be in position to make good, informed decisions. Stay tuned.

There is no way the numbers above represent Football revenue for Colgate and Fordham, they sound like the amount of money SPENT on each school's football program. Perhaps the reporter got his figures mixed up?

UMass922
November 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
There is no way the numbers above represent Football revenue for Colgate and Fordham, they sound like the amount of money SPENT on each school's football program. Perhaps the reporter got his figures mixed up?

I was wondering that as well; those two seem very out of place on that list . . .

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
It seems everybody forgets that alot of those schools while the football success isnt shown as of right now they upgraded the rest of their sports programs by going to better conferences. I'm sure Troy & Florida Atlantic love being out of the Atlantic Sun and Middle Tennesse is glad to be out of the OVC, etc.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
(UM participates at the I-A level in all sports but football)

xrolleyesx You would think the AD of a FCS school would be able to get this right. xrolleyesx

GeauxLions94
November 2nd, 2007, 02:22 AM

Monday, 10/08/2007

Can someone send this to San Marcos? xrulesx xoopsx

OB55
November 2nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
As a Montana fan I love the FCS and I haven't heard a desire to move up in years. Losing is depressing and depressed fans don't spend money. The probability of Montana finding success at FBS level IMO is very small. I couldn't handle being a doormat in FBS conference with an ocasional 6-5 season and a joke of a bowl game. I hope the FCS fan base grows a bit every year! It wouild require some research to measure the growth and I am not willing to do it but I bet it's tracked and documented since there is a bottem line!

Gee, you mean like Wyoming?

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Can someone send this to San Marcos? xrulesx xoopsx

They would not care...xnodx

henfan
November 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Insider talk (rumors) coming from the AD's office is that FCS or I-AA football is a money loser for the NCAA and many participating schools. It will be fazed out in 5-10 years. Some schools going to Divison I and the rest either dropping football or going back to Division II. Just rumors, boys. Stay tuned.xsmiley_wix

Ron, you've got to learn not to put too much stock in everything you hear, particularly uninformed rumors like this one. Self-proclaimed experts have been predicting the end of I-AA/FCS FB since 1978.xeyebrowx

First off, FB is a money loser for most D-I schools, whether FBS or FCS. I immediately discredit any report that generalizes about the financial condition of the FCS vs. the FBS. There's just no evidence to support the notion that the FCS will be "fazed out". If anything, the membership roles continue to grow at this level.

Secondly, without a considerable change to NCAA by-laws, schools cannot play FB at one level and Olympic sports at another. Any movement of D-I FB programs to D-II would require that entire ADs be reclassified as well. Again, there's just no evidence that the majority of existing D-I schools and conferences would support anything like that.

Rest assured that D-I FCS FB will be around for a very long time in one form or another.

UCAMonkey
November 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
I wonder how Montana and Wyoming compare fiscally? If you have the type of fan loyalty already at the FCS division and can make the kind of money without the additional expense I wonder if it is worth the risk of trying to become a Boise St. or South Florida?

DSUHornet
November 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

makes sense xcoffeex

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'd be willing to bet that I-AA is in far better financial shape today than it has ever been.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

I'm married to a reporter, and know dozens and dozens of other reporters. If you guys had any clue how HORRIBLE reporters are with numbers and statistics, you'd realize that it's an almost CERTAINTY that the reporter got some/all of the numbers mixed up/confused. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

Monday, 10/08/2007

Really good insite and information for any school thinking of moving up after the moratorium is liftedxnodx

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM

And an ugly rumor at -xnonono2x

Hensational
November 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Since 1996, here are the records of the schools who have moved up to Division I heading into this season

No, these schools have been Division I for years.

UM participates at the I-A level in all sports but football

No, UM participates at the Division I level in all sports, including football.

URMite
November 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo
Insider talk (rumors) coming from the AD's office is that FCS or I-AA football is a money loser for the NCAA and many participating schools. It will be fazed out in 5-10 years. Some schools going to Divison I and the rest either dropping football or going back to Division II. Just rumors, boys. Stay tuned.

makes sense xcoffeex

Like HenFan said not as long as all sports must be the same. I think there are quite a few FCS teams that would not be willing to move to DII basketball and couldn't move to FBS. So either the all sports are the same rule has to change or the FBS requirements have to, in order for FCS to disappear.

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo
Insider talk (rumors) coming from the AD's office is that FCS or I-AA football is a money loser for the NCAA and many participating schools. It will be fazed out in 5-10 years. Some schools going to Divison I and the rest either dropping football or going back to Division II. Just rumors, boys. Stay tuned.

Like HenFan said not as long as all sports must be the same. I think there are quite a few FCS teams that would not be willing to move to DII basketball and couldn't move to FBS. So either the all sports are the same rule has to change or the FBS requirements have to, in order for FCS to disappear.

You may just see only one D-1 football arrangement someday just like the other sports. Maybe the only qualifier might be you must have a minimum 63 scholarships to play any of the present day FBS teams or all D1 football teams will have a minimum 63 scholarships to compete.

OSBF
November 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
It seems everybody forgets that alot of those schools while the football success isnt shown as of right now they upgraded the rest of their sports programs by going to better conferences. I'm sure Troy & Florida Atlantic love being out of the Atlantic Sun and Middle Tennesse is glad to be out of the OVC, etc.

Would you support leaving the MVC for say the Sunjoke?

MplsBison
November 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM

You'd have teams like La Salle in the same division with teams like Penn State. Seems completely unrealistic on the football field compared to the basketball court.

Casey_Orourke
November 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
The problem I see is as long as the sports media and the rest of the college continues to place it's stock in the FBS' FICTIONAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and ignore the FCS' ACTUAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP our programs never get the respect and recognition we deserve and continue to be considered a poor imitation of all the so called "Major Programs."

BearsCountry
November 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
Would you support leaving the MVC for say the Sunjoke?

For football only, yes, all-sports no. Now if CUSA called, it would be in a heartbeat. But think about though the MVC is more like the MWC or WAC than OVC or A-Sun.

OSBF
November 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
For football only, yes, all-sports no. Now if CUSA called, it would be in a heartbeat. But think about though the MVC is more like the MWC or WAC than OVC or A-Sun.

Actually the MVC is closer to the b-12, in all things not football. BCS is the only reason I see the birds leaving the MVC, leaving at this point makes no sense at all. That isn't gonna happen, so we have to find a football only deal, or somehow construct MVC football on the FBS level. Both of those are longshots at best.

ncman071
November 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The problem I see is as long as the sports media and the rest of the college continues to place it's stock in the FBS' FICTIONAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and ignore the FCS' ACTUAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP our programs never get the respect and recognition we deserve and continue to be considered a poor imitation of all the so called "Major Programs."

I think the respect issue will change since App beat Michigan this season. Going to FBS takes money. I would love to see App go IA eventually, but if we do we need a few more IAA programs to go with us so we can form another conference. However, its great when we can play for a true national championship. It would be cool if FCS eventually gained as much popularity as the NIT did in basketball years and years ago.

MplsBison
November 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Actually the MVC is closer to the b-12, in all things not football. BCS is the only reason I see the birds leaving the MVC, leaving at this point makes no sense at all. That isn't gonna happen, so we have to find a football only deal, or somehow construct MVC football on the FBS level. Both of those are longshots at best.

NDSU could probably go FBS.

Youngstown and N Iowa could probably as well.

Maybe IL State and Mizzou State.

The rest of the Gateway I don't think so.

Need some other folks for a new football only FBS conference.

Poly Pigskin
November 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I think the respect issue will change since App beat Michigan this season.

Maybe for App, but not for FCS as a whole. Upsets happen, people know that, and I can't see any change in perception at all. Heck, I would imagine Michigan would be a huge favorite (again) if ASU were to play them again today. Nothing has changed, and that's fine, you just have to accept it for what it is.

As for the "actual" vs "fictional" national championship, no one here can honestly tell me that the team that wins the FCS playoffs is really the best team in the country. Sure, it sounds nice to say Division I NC, but it doesn't mean we're still not second tier.