PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut State

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
We just schedule a home game with them for next year. Who the heck are they other than from the Northeast Conference and a Bison alum is the head coach?

Seahawks Fan
November 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well they beat Georgia Southern last year on the road.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Some people have just got to pay more attention to the FCS world outside their own team. Geesh. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM
I've never heard of them before. You guys don't talk about them. Why not ask the question here?

BlueHen86
November 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM
We just schedule a home game with them for next year. Who the heck are they other than from the Northeast Conference and a Bison alum is the head coach?
They are from Connecticut. I think the middle part.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
I've never heard of them before. You guys don't talk about them. Why not ask the question here?

It's not like they are an unknown, they've been I-AA (FCS) for 14 years, they play in the NEC which has been getting talked about quite a bit considering they are adding more schollies and possibly teams, and they've beaten teams like Colgate and Georgia Southern over the past two years so they have made national impacts.

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Seems like a legit question to me...xrolleyesx

Didn't CCSU move up from DII recently or did I imagine that?

Seahawks Fan
November 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM

State university. UConn won't play them. xlolx

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Seems like a legit question to me...xrolleyesx

Didn't CCSU move up from DII recently or did I imagine that?

Been I-AA (FCS) since 1993. Recently depends on how old you are. :p

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, NDSU's schedule is now officially "weak" for adding this game. You guys are scared to play good teams. You just want to guarantee that you make the playoffs next year. ;)

Go Bison
November 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM

Considering you have two red dots on your reputation I would suggest this:

www.google.com

It works wonders!

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
It's not like they are an unknown, they've been I-AA (FCS) for 14 years, they play in the NEC which has been getting talked about quite a bit considering they are adding more schollies and possibly teams, and they've beaten teams like Colgate and Georgia Southern over the past two years so they have made national impacts.

Thank you for giving me that answer. At least now I can compare them to when we beat Georgia Southern last year also. I figured who better to ask then a board that is full of east coast people.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
Oh yeah, NDSU's schedule is now officially "weak" for adding this game. You guys are scared to play good teams. You just want to guarantee that you make the playoffs next year. ;)

Did NDSU just join the Big Sky???? xrolleyesx

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Did NDSU just join the Big Sky???? xrolleyesx

Ha Ha! Zing on me!xlolx

BlueHen86
November 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you for giving me that answer. At least now I can compare them to when we beat Georgia Southern last year also. I figured who better to ask then a board that is full of east coast people.
If you click on the "Essential FCS Links" link in the orange bar at the top of the screen there are several links you can check out to learn about varous teams.

For example: the "College Football Data Warehouse" contains historical data including year by year results.

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM
If you click on the "Essential FCS Links" link in the orange bar at the top of the screen there are several links you can check out to learn about varous teams.

For example: the "College Football Data Warehouse" contains historical data including year by year results.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

Go Bison
November 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM

Actually, NDSU is excited to have home games. Maybe this year the Bison can have more(or the same amount) of home games as away games.

Considering Montana State and Georgia Southern are not able to return their part of the home and home agreement, Central Connecticut State will do.

Longer term I am sure Georgia Southern will make it to Fargo. Montana State I am not so sure.

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Actually, NDSU is excited to have home games. Maybe this year the Bison can have more(or the same amount) of home games as away games.

Considering Montana State and Georgia Southern are not able to return their part of the home and home agreement, Central Connecticut State will do.

Longer term I am sure Georgia Southern will make it to Fargo. Montana State I am not so sure.

Actually in the Forum today since Labor is late this year, FCS teams will be allowed 12 games next year. So we should hope for 6 home games and maybe a 7th depending on who we play.

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
And sometimes I think I post too much about us xrolleyesx

CCSU has been D-I since the 1986-87 seaon. Football reamined at the D-II level until the "Dayton Rule" and was reclassified as I-AA begining in 1993.

We play in the Northeast Conference and as other have indicated made somehat of a splash on the national scene in 2005 by winning at Colgate and folllowed that up the follwing year with a win at ranked Georgia Southern. This year we played at Towson and had our first I-A opponent - Western Michigan.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I suggest you visit www.ccsubluedevils.com and www.ccsu.edu if you need for info.

Many collge fans, may know us as a "basketball school." We've reached the NCAA tourney 3 times in the last 7 years, most recenty losing last year's to National Runner-up Ohio State

:)

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
http://photos.tarheeltimes.com/College_Girls/slides/Central_Connecticut_Volleyball.jpg

This is what I think of when I hear Central Conn State. I love these pictures as Volleyball players (women) are my favorite.

UNHWildCats
November 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
They shoulda just agreed to play North Dakota xnodx

bobbythekidd
November 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
When did we back out?

If we did, we must be looking at taking on Georgia Tech.

Go Bison
November 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
When did we back out?

If we did, we must be looking at taking on Georgia Tech.

Georgia Southern will not make it to Fargo in 2008 because of a conference schedule conflict. I believe it is because of a new member coming into your conference. NDSU's AD mentioned it about a month ago and it was in the paper.

I think in 2010 GSU might be able to Fargo.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well they beat Georgia Southern last year on the road.

They also beat Colgate in '05 in Hamilton, not easy to do.

RDH701
November 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM
http://photos.tarheeltimes.com/College_Girls/slides/Central_Connecticut_Volleyball.jpg

This is what I think of when I hear Central Conn State. I love these pictures as Volleyball players (women) are my favorite.

Sure looks like a good quality program to me.xeekx

WWII
November 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
That's another reason the AE wants CCSU.

UMass922
November 1st, 2007, 07:31 PM

New Britain, to be exact. There's also an Eastern, a Western (both D-III--Eastern has a national powerhouse baseball program), and a Southern Connecticut (D-II).

Then there's the land grant U in Storrs--the one that plays its football games off-campus in East Hartford for some silly reason.

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
New Britain, to be exact. There's also an Eastern, a Western (both D-III--Eastern has a national powerhouse baseball program), and a Southern Connecticut (D-II).

Then there's the land grant U in Storrs--the one that plays its football games off-campus in East Hartford for some silly reason.

Why no Northern Conn.-- If you are going to have all the other diections, dont you need all 4? How is there a south without a north, doesnt there have to be a northern point of reference to call another point south xlolx

UMass922
November 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Many collge fans, may know us as a "basketball school." We've reached the NCAA tourney 3 times in the last 7 years, most recenty losing last year's to National Runner-up Ohio State

:)

Gave Iowa State a very good game in a 15-2 matchup one of those years.

NDB
November 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM

make work your favorite!

dgreco
November 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM

I go to all my bryant volleyball games and I wonder how those uniforms ever passed the equality push that is current america. They are by far the sexiest outfit a girl can wear in a non-sexual way. I am sure they help when playing the sport.... xconfusedx

dgreco
November 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Why no Northern Conn.-- If you are going to have all the other diections, dont you need all 4? How is there a south without a north, doesnt there have to be a northern point of reference to call another point south xlolx

I could be way off, but I was under the idea that "techincally" SCSU would be the NCSU, clearly because new haven is in the north, because south haven would be in the atlantic. so SCSU is a dullie.

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
make work your favorite!

Huh?

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
You guys are great, and funny. (btw - What a picture; I have a new favorite team xbowx )

Here's a few DYK?

- Since 2002, CCSU has had a players drafted by the NBA (Corsely Edwards, 2002), MLB (Barry Hertzler, 2003; Rob Hosgood, 2004 and Evan Scribner, 2007) and the NFL (Justise Hariston, 2007).

- CCSU counts 2 former NFL head coaches among its alumni and former Blue Devil football players - Dave Campo (former Cowboys HC) and Mike Sherman (former Packers HC).

- CCSU reached the NCAA men's basketball tourney for the 2nd time in 2002, riding the nation's longest winnging streak at 19 games. They finshed the season with a 27-5 record, having lost 2 games to top-10 teams (#4 Oklahoma and #9 Pittsburgh).

- Keeping with its history as a teaching college, CCSU alumni include many coaches, such as:

Steve Addazio,’82 - Assistant Coach/Offensive Line, University of Florida
Al Bagnoli,’75 -Head Football Coach, University of Pennsylvania
Rick Lantz,’64 -Former Head Coach, Berlin Thunder, NFL Europe
Scott R.Pioli,’88 - Vice President-Player Personnel, New England Patriots
John Skladany,’72 -Defensive Coordinator, Iowa State University
Rich Bader, '69 - Associate Head Coach, Towson University
Frank Leonard, '80 - Assistant Coach, Kansas State University

bisonguy
November 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
CCSU's head football coach, Jeff McInerney, was the D-Line coach for one season at NDSU since Craig Bohl's hiring.

That's conveniently left out of his bio on the CCSU website. xnonono2x

NDB
November 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFCmJCzF1A&mode=related&search=

about the :20 mark.

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
CCSU's head football coach, , was the D-Line coach for one season at NDSU since Craig Bohl's hiring.

That's conveniently left out of his bio on the CCSU website. xnonono2x

In fairness, he has been an assistant at 13 differents schools, so I'm sure NDSU isn't the job they missed.

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2007, 01:47 AM
Any talk in the future of dropping the "Central" from the name?

dgreco
November 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Any talk in the future of dropping the "Central" from the name?

I would assume since it is part of the state university system no. I dont know ow connecticut works, but I don't know if they have a university system, if so they would be what? UConn - New Britian. CCSU def. helps them out more I think.

UAalum72
November 2nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
There was never a Lower Volta (or even just plain Volta) to counter the former African nation of Upper Volta. West Virginia has only Virginia opposite.

A few on the bluedevils forum have debated the value of changing the name to Connecticut State, but I haven't heard that it got any traction with anyone who matters.

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFCmJCzF1A&mode=related&search=

about the :20 mark.

Ohh--Now i'm following--thanks

aceinthehole
November 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
There was never a Lower Volta (or even just plain Volta) to counter the former African nation of Upper Volta. West Virginia has only Virginia opposite.

A few on the bluedevils forum have debated the value of changing the name to Connecticut State, but I haven't heard that it got any traction with anyone who matters.

Yep, too much history and politics to change the name.

BearsCountry - Central is part of a seperate (and somewhat competing) university system than UConn. So it would never change to UConn-New Britain! xnonox xnonono2x

I guess it is possible in the future they could consider a name change, but with 3 other schools in the system I don't think Connecticut State University-New Britain is any better. xoopsx

The state has finally passed a 10-year, $950 million capital invest plan for the 4-campus Connecticut State University System (CSUS), which is similar, but much smaller than UConn 2000 and 21st UConn programs.

Although there is amost no chance that Southern Conn. would ever reclassify from D-II to D-I (even post-moritirium), IMO CCSU just needs to maintain its historical "flagship-type" status over the other campuses, but it could be difficult if the Legislature want to be equitible in funding each CSU school.

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yep, too much history and politics to change the name.

BearsCountry - Central is part of a seperate (and somewhat competing) university system than UConn. So it would never change to UConn-New Britain! xnonox xnonono2x

I guess it is possible in the future they could consider a name change, but with 3 other schools in the system I don't think Connecticut State University-New Britain is any better. xoopsx

The state has finally passed a 10-year, $950 million capital invest plan for the 4-campus Connecticut State University System (CSUS), which is similar, but much smaller than UConn 2000 and 21st UConn programs.

Although there is amost no chance that Southern Conn. would ever reclassify from D-II to D-I (even post-moritirium), IMO CCSU just needs to maintain its historical "flagship-type" status over the other campuses, but it could be difficult if the Legislature want to be equitible in funding each CSU school.

I was just thinking of Connecticut State.