PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Semifinal: #4 Montana State @ #1 South Dakota State

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2022, 02:03 PM
This is a heavyweight matchup which is exactly what a national semifinal should be. Kickoff time is at 3PM CT on Saturday 12/17 and the game will be nationally televised on ESPN2. I added a few more stat categories to the team stats comparison this week for more detail on turnovers, redzone efficiency, sacks, and TFLs.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52556111142_69737b5f9c_c.jpg

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 02:08 PM
If the SDSU team that showed up today shows up next weekend, MSU will drop 50 on them.

GoCatsGo84
December 10th, 2022, 02:16 PM
This will be a good one. Jacks fans are always a great base to be around and owe us a game for last year. Will be fun to spend some time in Brookings. Guessing we play Friday night.

JacksFan40
December 10th, 2022, 02:55 PM
We’d better figure out how to stop the QB run, otherwise we’ll end up like W&M.

Kemo
December 10th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Finally we get to play a couple statues for QBs. Those MSU QBs make Chad Henne and Jeff George look fast.

GoCatsGo84
December 10th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Finally we get to play a couple statues for QBs. Those MSU QBs make Chad Henne and Jeff George look fast.
Total pocket passers. Been an issue for us all year. I keep yelling “just run”! They don’t hear me though.

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Total pocket passers. Been an issue for us all year. I keep yelling “just run”! They don’t hear me though.

I hear they have some Dan Marino-like athleticism that isn't being utilized......

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Still early so I reserve the right to change my mind (a few times probably) but with consensus being pretty solidly on MSU's side after their dominant win last night and SDSU's lackluster first 3 quarters against Holy Cross I'm pretty convinced the opposite will happen and SDSU will win.

Also, Montana St hasn't had to play a real quality team on the road this year yet (outside of their loss to FBS Oregon St) and they've looked shaky in tight road wins over EWU and NAU. I think the homefield advantage will be a big factor in this one.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 03:48 PM
If the SDSU team that showed up today shows up next weekend, MSU will drop 50 on them.

Crazy how quickly we've gone from "SDSU might be the best FCS team since 2013" to "MSU will drop 50 on them (in Brookings no less)". All because a Patriot League team managed to play a competitive game on the road against a Valley team in the playoffs.

Montana State looked great against W&M. A major factor in that game FWIW it's worth is that the Tribe showed up without proper cleats for the icy turf conditions. I was at the game in Bozeman.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 03:56 PM
Still early so I reserve the right to change my mind (a few times probably) but with consensus being pretty solidly on MSU's side after their dominant win last night and SDSU's lackluster first 3 quarters against Holy Cross I'm pretty convinced the opposite will happen and SDSU will win.

Also, Montana St hasn't had to play a real quality team on the road this year yet (outside of their loss to FBS Oregon St) and they've looked shaky in tight road wins over EWU and NAU. I think the homefield advantage will be a big factor in this one.

double bingo

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Crazy how quickly we've gone from "SDSU might be the best FCS team since 2013" to "MSU will drop 50 on them (in Brookings no less)". All because a Patriot League team managed to play a competitive game on the road against a Valley team in the playoffs.

Montana State looked great against W&M. A major factor in that game FWIW it's worth is that the Tribe showed up without proper cleats for the icy turf conditions. I was at the game in Bozeman.
I also stated that the SDSU MSU is the national championship game. Sorry, just not sold on the Patriot conference. SDSU did underperform expectations, it is what it is. As others have said on here, MSU appears to be a different team on the road and my statement was with respect to how SDSU defended the QB run. Montana might drop 50 on them but SDSU might drop 56.

SeattleCat
December 10th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Yeah... Cleats... that was totally it.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2022, 04:20 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1601700413396627456

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 04:34 PM

The voice of reason

it was obvious right from the opening kickoff when the William return man planted his foot and almost fell down

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 04:46 PM
The voice of reason

it was obvious right from the opening kickoff when the William return man planted his foot and almost fell down
JFC. Seriously. Wow.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 05:03 PM
JFC. Seriously. Wow.

he almost fell on his azz

should of just brought the skates

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 05:04 PM

I was there. Was great watching the Montana State Bobcats play an awesome football game. But, watch the film, it was like the Tribe were playing on ice skates. Congrats on the dominant W though. I really like both South Dakota State and Montana State. Have been to both stadiums now, love both campuses, love the fan bases and the energy. This will hopefully be an FCS semi for the ages.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 05:05 PM

the optics were off in that game

Montana St was the superior team but something didn’t look just right

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2022, 05:06 PM
I also stated that the SDSU MSU is the national championship game. Sorry, just not sold on the Patriot conference. SDSU did underperform expectations, it is what it is. As others have said on here, MSU appears to be a different team on the road and my statement was with respect to how SDSU defended the QB run. Montana might drop 50 on them but SDSU might drop 56.

No need to be sold on the Patriot League. Just be sold on Holy Cross this year. Just like I'm not sold on the Southland being a great league but I am sold on Incarnate Word.

CopperCat
December 10th, 2022, 05:10 PM
That's what equipment managers are for.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2022, 06:49 PM
SDSU by 2 TDs

70MilesFromCanada
December 10th, 2022, 07:20 PM
I also stated that the SDSU MSU is the national championship game.

Naa. I can’t let you get away with that statement the way the FCS playoffs are done. Win 3-4 games against everyone. Seeding has no good alternative. Neutral sites through the semis will not happen. It’s gonna happen in Frisco and at least one team there will have “State” in its name.

Book it. 🤔

semobison
December 10th, 2022, 08:02 PM

Optics? Couldn’t believe what you were seeing on the scoreboard. Excuses…CAA **** the bed in the playoffs!

SeattleCat
December 10th, 2022, 08:08 PM

It's called an Ass kicking. Jackrabbit's turn next week.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 08:15 PM
No need to be sold on the Patriot League. Just be sold on Holy Cross this year. Just like I'm not sold on the Southland being a great league but I am sold on Incarnate Word.
👍

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 08:17 PM
Optics? Couldn’t believe what you were seeing on the scoreboard. Excuses…CAA **** the bed in the playoffs!

No excuses and nobody is saying Montana St didn’t put on a dominating performance because they did

but ya know when the punt returner breaks off a few 50 yards returns up the middle of the field untouched it’s kind of hard to ignore. Some things just didn’t look exactly normal in that game, William had no footing and were getting whipped by the better team and they just quit.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2022, 08:22 PM
No excuses and nobody is saying Montana St didn’t put on a dominating performance because they did

but ya know when the punt returner breaks off a few 50 yards returns up the middle of the field untouched it’s kind of hard to ignore. Some things just didn’t look exactly normal in that game, William had no footing and were getting whipped by the better team and they just quit.
MSU had better athletes and were executing better. That W&M QB running around the backfield for his life seemed to have decent footing.

Chalupa Batman
December 10th, 2022, 08:46 PM
Things can swing very quickly in college football. I remember in 2017 JMU was sort of plodding along, looking uninspired in quite a few of their wins and then barely escaped against Weber State in the quarterfinals. SDSU was rolling at the end of that season and continued into the playoffs, beating a tough UNI team by 15 (and led by 27 in the 4th quarter) and steamrolling New Hampshire before going to Harrisonburg. We all know that did not end well for the team that was on a roll (and also finally went on the road in the first time in a month).

Not saying the same type of result will happen to MSU Saturday, but I think some are only looking at today's game against Holy Cross and letting that dictate their confidence for MSU next week and this game is going to be much tougher than they expect.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2022, 08:51 PM
MSU had better athletes and were executing better. That W&M QB running around the backfield for his life seemed to have decent footing.

So how come they don’t look so athletic down in Flagstaff?

CopperCat
December 10th, 2022, 09:11 PM

Just stop it.

Bill and Mary was COLD. It wasn't the footing, Tommy Touchdown was making his usual moves just fine. Them boys from Virginia don't like the snow, and it showed.

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2022, 09:22 PM
So how come they don’t look so athletic down in Flagstaff?

I love how you never eat crow, just push it off to the next game. If you had watched the NAU game, you'd see why Bobcat fans were screaming at the TV. 30 pass attempts vs "only" 49 runs? Does that look like Bobcats of the last 4 games? Housewright stopped trying to get cute on offense and accepted what we are... 10-15 pass plays per game. Those 16 incompletions at NAU not only slowed the game, but also could have been a rush that was going for 5.7 ypc that game.

Do I think we'll cruise like the last 4 games? Absolutely not. Does what HC and Sluka did today give me a bit more hope? Absolutely.

ngineer
December 10th, 2022, 10:08 PM
hope to see this one. Picking MSU in a very close game, though cheering for SDSU for the "comparative effect" viz. Holy Cross,.

Cat4Life
December 10th, 2022, 10:17 PM

I'm not convinced there will be that big of an advantage for SDSU. The offense, with the exception of the NAU game, really doesn't seem to be very negatively affected by being the visiting team. Defensively I'm not sure our struggles were as much about being the visiting team, but more about finding their identity after losing so much senior talent last year. And SDSU sure didn't seem to be getting any huge boost by being at home today.

Bobcat99
December 10th, 2022, 10:31 PM
It’s funny how when William and Mary’s defense did well the first two or three drives, nobody said anything about bad footing or players slipping. They just flat got beat. It is what it is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2022, 10:36 PM
I am trying to convince my friend to do an epic Thursday-Sunday road trip to attend the UIW at NDSU game Friday night and Montana State at SDSU game Saturday in Brookings. The blizzard that is going to affect that part of the country from Monday through Wednesday is of concern....

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2022, 11:05 PM
It’s funny how when William and Mary’s defense did well the first two or three drives, nobody said anything about bad footing or players slipping. They just flat got beat. It is what it is.

This is true but footing was a major issue for the Tribe. MSU was wearing different shoes and our QB was able to scramble some but making cuts was extremely difficult for him and it showed. On one scramble early in second half he told me he nearly went down without being touched. The difficulty seemed to accelerate as temperature dropped. Lester and Imoh being unavailable hurt as well. Imoh tried to play but just couldn't do anything so they pulled him.

CopperCat
December 10th, 2022, 11:08 PM
This is true but footing was a major issue for the Tribe. MSU was wearing different shoes and our QB was able to scramble some but making cuts was extremely difficult for him and it showed. On one scramble early in second half he told me he nearly went down without being touched. The difficulty seemed to accelerate as temperature dropped. Lester and Imoh being unavailable hurt as well. Imoh tried to play but just couldn't do anything so they pulled him.

Then fire your equipment manager. Move on. This "bad footing" narrative is becoming rather tiresome.

CorrosionDoc
December 10th, 2022, 11:15 PM
It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools. And it's a poor team that blames the equipment manager.

That said, SDSU is the first team that I've legitimately been concerned about since October. Looking forward to some great, excuses-free football.

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2022, 12:11 AM
It doesn't really matter what any of you think or believe. They Believe. A wrecking ball is in route to Brookings.

Cat4Life
December 11th, 2022, 12:56 AM

Enough of this baloney. I saw bobcat players slipping around as well. And the field was frozen before the game even started. Also, what proof do you have that somehow the cats cleats were any different? I particularly remember a play where Ifanse had a chance to make a cut and break another big run but he ended up just running in to the defender because he started slipping. Both teams had to contend with the field conditions.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2022, 07:15 AM
I love how you never eat crow, just push it off to the next game. If you had watched the NAU game, you'd see why Bobcat fans were screaming at the TV. 30 pass attempts vs "only" 49 runs? Does that look like Bobcats of the last 4 games? Housewright stopped trying to get cute on offense and accepted what we are... 10-15 pass plays per game. Those 16 incompletions at NAU not only slowed the game, but also could have been a rush that was going for 5.7 ypc that game.

Do I think we'll cruise like the last 4 games? Absolutely not. Does what HC and Sluka did today give me a bit more hope? Absolutely.

I did watch the N Arizona game, that’s why I asked about it. I actually saw the 4th quarter live and commented on TD Tommy and his great play to pull that game out.

RJ Martinez is pretty good looking QB who is in the portal and has been offered by Delaware. That Montana St game was probably his best game of the year. He didn’t look so hot at N Colorado.

SeattleCat
December 11th, 2022, 07:39 AM
I did watch the N Arizona game, that’s why I asked about it. I actually saw the 4th quarter live and commented on TD Tommy and his great play to pull that game out.

RJ Martinez is pretty good looking QB who is in the portal and has been offered by Delaware. That Montana St game was probably his best game of the year. He didn’t look so hot at N Colorado.

That'd be a good get for you guys. The CAA could use some Big Sky scrubs.

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2022, 08:22 AM
According to the Montana State fan forum, we’ve already lost this game. Apparently one game against Holy Cross is the only way to determine how good we are.

My notes are that Montana State hasn’t played good on the road, at all. The only good team they played on the road was Oregon State, who to be fair is really good this year, they’re a good QB away from being playoff contenders, but no top FCS team should be losing by 40.

As for how this game goes, it’ll all depend on how our defense adjusts from Holy Cross. If we play like that we’ll get rolled, if we get back to playing like we normally do we should win. Offensive game plan is simple, run it straight down their throat with Davis, mixing in passes to our more talented WRs and TEs, it’s simple.

bobcathpdevil56
December 11th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Homerism runs rampant on all team forums. In all reality, the issues of poor performance on the road are glaring for the Bobcats. I can only hope that they can focus on game plan and block out the noise that will be coming in about this all week. Jackrabbits will have a game plan to fix issues from last game. If Cats fan are packing bags for Frisco already, they are being way to premature and even putting some bad juju into the universe for the Cats.

jacksfan29!
December 11th, 2022, 09:25 AM
According to the Montana State fan forum, we’ve already lost this game. Apparently one game against Holy Cross is the only way to determine how good we are.

My notes are that Montana State hasn’t played good on the road, at all. The only good team they played on the road was Oregon State, who to be fair is really good this year, they’re a good QB away from being playoff contenders, but no top FCS team should be losing by 40.

As for how this game goes, it’ll all depend on how our defense adjusts from Holy Cross. If we play like that we’ll get rolled, if we get back to playing like we normally do we should win. Offensive game plan is simple, run it straight down their throat with Davis, mixing in passes to our more talented WRs and TEs, it’s simple.

I get a kick out of Bobcat fans. I've seen one state it will be a 49-7 blowout. I've known a ton of Griz fans my entire life. Still have a lot of friends in Missoula. I used to laugh when they would complain about the MSU fans. Now I realize, they were correct. The goal in the playoffs is to advance, with as few injuries as possible. SDSU is the healthiest they have been since the Iowa game. Getting Bock back was big, though I do think yesterday's first half issue was starting him in the middle, after having not played for 6 weeks. Our linebackers were out of position, a lot yesterday thus the containment was off. We will see about Saturday. TD Tommy takes a lot of chances. We will see how that works out for them. For now, I'll listen to NDSU fans, they are the only ones who have earned the right to trash talk.

ming01
December 11th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Jacks win at home and have the run defense to get it done.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Team stats comparison added to the first page.... pretty easy to see what the key matchup will be. Montana St is #1 in the FCS in rush yards per game and rush yards per carry. SDSU is #1 in the FCS (still - even after getting gashed by Holy Cross yesterday) in rush yards allowed per game and rush yards allowed per carry. It's an unstoppable force vs an immovable object.

Cat4Life
December 11th, 2022, 10:30 AM
I get a kick out of Bobcat fans. I've seen one state it will be a 49-7 blowout. I've known a ton of Griz fans my entire life. Still have a lot of friends in Missoula. I used to laugh when they would complain about the MSU fans. Now I realize, they were correct. The goal in the playoffs is to advance, with as few injuries as possible. SDSU is the healthiest they have been since the Iowa game. Getting Bock back was big, though I do think yesterday's first half issue was starting him in the middle, after having not played for 6 weeks. Our linebackers were out of position, a lot yesterday thus the containment was off. We will see about Saturday. TD Tommy takes a lot of chances. We will see how that works out for them. For now, I'll listen to NDSU fans, they are the only ones who have earned the right to trash talk.

Imagine that, Griz fans complaining about Bobcat fans. Obviously the best place to get your info is from the in state rival fans. I'm sure that USD fans will all say you guys are the best fans, lol. But what exactly do the Griz fans complain we Cat fans do? I don't think we will run away with this game, but I do think the cats have a decent chance of winning this one. Our offense hasn't been stopped yet this year. Your defense certainly got gashed by a mobile running quarterback yesterday. Our defense is a question mark. But they have been really solid against the run lately, and have done a good job at limiting big pass plays, especially inthe last 5 games. But, I could be wrong, which is why they play the game.

CopperCat
December 11th, 2022, 10:53 AM

You "know a ton of griz fans," and that right there automatically taints your opinion of Cats fans.

Go read the thread on egriz about Rylan Ortt or Cole Sain. There is plenty of repugnant crap being said there you'll never find on BN.

ming01
December 11th, 2022, 12:36 PM
5Dimes has SDSU favored by 7. Over/Under 60.5.

Daytripper
December 11th, 2022, 04:26 PM
This is going to be a great game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Montana State 27-22 in the votes right now.

SDSU will win this with their defense.

Bobcat99
December 11th, 2022, 08:38 PM

Can’t believe you found a Bobcat fan that thinks the game is gonna be that close. He’s clearly delusional.

In all seriousness, every Cat fan I’ve seen posting has been confident MSU will win, but that it will be tough and close. Which checks out. I’d imagine both fanbases feel that way. I’m curious where you found that post, if you don’t mind sharing it.

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2022, 11:01 PM
Biggest difference between this year and last year is that SDSU hasn’t played 20+ games over the span of a single calendar year, also helps the Jacks haven’t left Brookings since November 5th, and that was a bus trip to Cedar Falls. Helps not having to travel to Sacramento, Philadelphia, and Bozeman in a three week span. No excuses this year for fatigue or jet lag, and this is the healthiest we’ve been all season.

Chalupa Batman
December 11th, 2022, 11:34 PM
Biggest difference between this year and last year is that SDSU hasn’t played 20+ games over the span of a single calendar year, also helps the Jacks haven’t left Brookings since November 5th, and that was a bus trip to Cedar Falls. Helps not having to travel to Sacramento, Philadelphia, and Bozeman in a three week span. No excuses this year for fatigue or jet lag, and this is the healthiest we’ve been all season.

Just one plane trip (to Missouri State) the entire season it looks like. I'd guess that's pretty rare for the Valley.

JacksFan40
December 12th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Just one plane trip (to Missouri State) the entire season it looks like. I'd guess that's pretty rare for the Valley.
Helps that our FBS game was also a bus trip. Next season only USD will be a bus trip, will have to fly to the rest.

SeattleCat
December 12th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Looks like the Weather is going to be pretty crappy in Brookings, frozen tundra. Jacks should just stay home, we have prototype cleats we invented and only available to us... Another blow out in the making xspankx

JacksFan40
December 12th, 2022, 09:41 AM
Don’t expect many fans in attendance for this. We don’t have a passionate fan base like the Bison or Montana schools, and it’s going to be crap weather.

Having been a mediocre D2 program didn’t help develop much of a following back in the day, plus you had big red to the south in Lincoln being dominant back in the day as well, took away a bunch of fans in the southern part of the state.

ysubigred
December 12th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Weather looks great for SD.. be safe out there.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2022, 10:41 AM
Don’t expect many fans in attendance for this. We don’t have a passionate fan base like the Bison or Montana schools, and it’s going to be crap weather.

Having been a mediocre D2 program didn’t help develop much of a following back in the day, plus you had big red to the south in Lincoln being dominant back in the day as well, took away a bunch of fans in the southern part of the state.

I half-heartedly looked at making the trek to Brookings (with the assumption that plows would be doing their best to keep up while the storm happens in the beginning/middle of the week and roads would be decent-ish by Friday afternoon). We have done a lot of travel this year (Frisco, New Orleans, Denver, Las Vegas and Minneapolis in 2022) and are staying confident we'll be going to Frisco again so we'll watch from the comfort of our local watering hole. One thing that had me tempted to make the trip was that there were so many good seats available for such a reasonable price (sideline seats for us were more than double what SDSU charges, nearly $52/each). I was shocked how few seats have been sold, but also wondering: Why does it show upper levels 302-306, and especially the endzone, being sold out when there's seats in 102, 103 and 106 available for the same price? I assume the 500 level is club seating? Is the endzone "sold out" in that they are held for students and not available for sale? Is the west side the home side? On the one hand, having the stands being a windbreak in the Dakotas would be beneficial, but you're also in the shade later in the season. The west side is selling much better, but I would think the crowd would have more of an effect on opposing teams being behind them instead of the home team (apparently this wasn't a focal point to me as I watched the SDSU game Saturday). Just random musings about the stadium/crowd from looking at tickets for sale.

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Just build a dome, these cold weather games are tough on the tropical eye...

GoCatsGo84
December 12th, 2022, 01:42 PM
So I actually got off the phone with the BigSky and NCAA. You guys cool if we come dump a buncha water on the field so it freezes? Then we can bring our super power cleats and run all over yall. W&M caught on to our plan so might as well be forthcoming…

POD Knows
December 12th, 2022, 02:57 PM
You know, I hate SDSU with the white hot temp of a thousand suns but is MSU the most arrogant fan base of all time?? I thought these SoCon guys were bad, well, hold my beer, because MSU has taken the lead. A college football team that has done nothing really in forever, acting like they are the Virgin Mary and everybody else is some skank from UND.

I hate to say it but my heart and maybe my $$ and support is on SDSU this weekend #BOOKIT

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2022, 03:17 PM
You know, I hate SDSU with the white hot temp of a thousand suns but is MSU the most arrogant fan base of all time?? I thought these SoCon guys were bad, well, hold my beer, because MSU has taken the lead. A college football team that has done nothing really in forever, acting like they are the Virgin Mary and everybody else is some skank from UND.

I hate to say it but my heart and maybe my $$ and support is on SDSU this weekend #BOOKIT

SDSU's defense will slow down that running game. SDSU's QB is a better passer than TD Tommy also.

I still think this is a 2 TD win for the Jacks.

SeattleCat
December 12th, 2022, 03:43 PM
SDSU's defense will slow down that running game we'll see. SDSU's QB is a better passer than TD Tommy also. our 3rd string QB is a better passer than Tommy, but there will be no one on that field on Saturday more dynamic than Tommy and he'll prove it.

I still think this is a 2 TD win for the Jacks. Bobcats by 6.
xcoffeex

CopperCat
December 12th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black......

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2022, 05:33 PM

Which posts are the ones that make us the "most arrogant fan base of all time"?

Page 1 of this thread - GoCatsGo84 says this will be good one and compliments SDSU fan base and then some tongue in cheek back and forth about our QB's being pocket passers.
Page 2 - SeattleCat and CopperCat disputing C-Hen's claim about field conditions (which you also took umbrage with)
Page 3 - SeattleCat (responding to C-Hen conditions post again) said the W&M was an ass-kicking and it's Jackrabbits turn this week (Is this the blasphemous post???) and CopperCat again talking to C-Hen about the field
Page 4 - My turn to respond to C-Hen; also ended my post by conceding that we won't cruise like the last 4 games, but the HC game gave me a bit more HOPE (this must be the arrogance...); Cat4Life states a disagreement about home field advantage for Jacks and musings about the defense finding their identity; Bobcat99 commenting on the footing in W&M game(a common theme), CopperCat, CorrosionDoc and Cat4Life continue to follow suit. SeattleCat says a wrecking ball is in route to Brookings (bombastic bastard!)
Page 5 - SeattleCat tells C-Hen the CAA could use some Big Sky scrubs in regard to NAU's QB being offered by Delaware. bobcathpdevil56, Cat4Life and CopperCat point out the issues in using a team's fan forum as a place for meaningful FCS discussion.
Page 6 - Bobcat99 states that Cat fans are confident in a win, but that it will be "tough and close". SeattleCat comments on weather, with another jab at C-Hen's shoe malfunction theory. I comment about the SDSU stadium/attendance.
Page 7 - GoCatsGo84 with more jokes about our superior cleat technology. SeattleCat adds color commentary (literally) to Bison Fan in NW MN's post, amazingly, actually on topic and about the game, and predicts a massive 6 point victory for MSU.

The majority of Bobcat fans posts have been in response to C-Hen's ridiculous claim that shoes... shoes were the deciding factor in the W&M game. I've seen GoCats say it'll be a good one, SeattleCat saying it's SDSU's turn for an ass kicking and that a wrecking ball is coming to Brookings, I stated I have more HOPE in a W, Bobcat99 predicts a tough and close W, and SeattleCat (clearly the most arrogant poster of the thread) call for a 6 point victory.

Is our "arrogance" coming from Bobcat Nation? I feel like even Bison fans don't bother themselves with Bisonville for the same kind of reasons, so how are we being lumped in with whatever happens on a board that I only joined last year and the only purpose was to find tickets that aren't jacked up.

Also, I know we aren't NDSU, but no one is. In the last 5 seasons, we've been bounced in the 2nd round (NDSU), semifinals (NDSU), COVID year, finals (NDSU) and are currently in the semifinals for the 3rd straight year (that we participated in). I know semifinals and finals appearances aren't what we're shooting for, but outside of NDSU for the last decade, that's what ALL of FCS has been fighting over. It would make more sense to say we've done nothing in forever if anyone else outside of NDSU, JMU and SDSU had done more, but the fact is... no one has done much of anything since 2011 except for 2 teams that left/are leaving the subdivision, if the definition is winning the championship.

POD Knows
December 12th, 2022, 05:47 PM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black......Really, I am an arrogant BISON fan, do you even read my posts regarding NDSU??? Are you slow, do you get the drift here?

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2022, 06:43 PM
Really, I am an arrogant BISON fan, do you even read my posts regarding NDSU??? Are you slow, do you get the drift here?
Haha, maybe I should dig up all of POD's old posts from October predicting NDSU would go 6-5. :D

Bobcat99
December 12th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Page 1 of this thread - GoCatsGo84 says this will be good one and compliments SDSU fan base and then some tongue in cheek back and forth about our QB's being pocket passers.
Page 2 - SeattleCat and CopperCat disputing C-Hen's claim about field conditions (which you also took umbrage with)
Page 3 - SeattleCat (responding to C-Hen conditions post again) said the W&M was an ass-kicking and it's Jackrabbits turn this week (Is this the blasphemous post???) and CopperCat again talking to C-Hen about the field
Page 4 - My turn to respond to C-Hen; also ended my post by conceding that we won't cruise like the last 4 games, but the HC game gave me a bit more HOPE (this must be the arrogance...); Cat4Life states a disagreement about home field advantage for Jacks and musings about the defense finding their identity; Bobcat99 commenting on the footing in W&M game(a common theme), CopperCat, CorrosionDoc and Cat4Life continue to follow suit. SeattleCat says a wrecking ball is in route to Brookings (bombastic bastard!)
Page 5 - SeattleCat tells C-Hen the CAA could use some Big Sky scrubs in regard to NAU's QB being offered by Delaware. bobcathpdevil56, Cat4Life and CopperCat point out the issues in using a team's fan forum as a place for meaningful FCS discussion.
Page 6 - Bobcat99 states that Cat fans are confident in a win, but that it will be "tough and close". SeattleCat comments on weather, with another jab at C-Hen's shoe malfunction theory. I comment about the SDSU stadium/attendance.
Page 7 - GoCatsGo84 with more jokes about our superior cleat technology. SeattleCat adds color commentary (literally) to Bison Fan in NW MN's post, amazingly, actually on topic and about the game, and predicts a massive 6 point victory for MSU.

The majority of Bobcat fans posts have been in response to C-Hen's ridiculous claim that shoes... shoes were the deciding factor in the W&M game. I've seen GoCats say it'll be a good one, SeattleCat saying it's SDSU's turn for an ass kicking and that a wrecking ball is coming to Brookings, I stated I have more HOPE in a W, Bobcat99 predicts a tough and close W, and SeattleCat (clearly the most arrogant poster of the thread) call for a 6 point victory.

Is our "arrogance" coming from Bobcat Nation? I feel like even Bison fans don't bother themselves with Bisonville for the same kind of reasons, so how are we being lumped in with whatever happens on a board that I only joined last year and the only purpose was to find tickets that aren't jacked up.

Also, I know we aren't NDSU, but no one is. In the last 5 seasons, we've been bounced in the 2nd round (NDSU), semifinals (NDSU), COVID year, finals (NDSU) and are currently in the semifinals for the 3rd straight year (that we participated in). I know semifinals and finals appearances aren't what we're shooting for, but outside of NDSU for the last decade, that's what ALL of FCS has been fighting over. It would make more sense to say we've done nothing in forever if anyone else outside of NDSU, JMU and SDSU had done more, but the fact is... no one has done much of anything since 2011 except for 2 teams that left/are leaving the subdivision, if the definition is winning the championship.

With all due respect, I am an arrogant asshole because it makes message boards more fun. Who wants to hear about mutual respect? Boring as ****. Entertainment value >> accuracy.

In regards to BobcatNation…even I don’t post there anymore. Some creeper named Cataholic was stalking me because I dared be critical sometimes instead of 100% homer. What a turd.

ysubigred
December 12th, 2022, 08:10 PM
Really, I am an arrogant BISON fan, do you even read my posts regarding NDSU??? Are you slow, do you get the drift here?I am!

POD Knows
December 12th, 2022, 09:24 PM
I am!

Sweet. You can pick up the slack for me. 🤘

POD Knows
December 12th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Haha, maybe I should dig up all of POD's old posts from October predicting NDSU would go 6-5. :D
Yea. I had them losing to ILL State, UND and SIU and missing the playoffs. It is so weird because I am usually so awesome and balls on with my NDSU picks. 🥴🦬

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2022, 10:30 PM

nice recap but

“I never said most of the things I said.” Quoting the great Yogi Berra here

SeattleCat
December 12th, 2022, 11:28 PM
Yes! MOST ARROGANT! Hard work people! That's what it takes! I'd like to thank all the griz haters, for if it's wasn't for you, none of this would be possible. All the NDSU superfans, special shoutout to Lakes! That guy can really take ARROGANT to whole new places (obviously I learned from the best)! To all FCS little guys! If you too hang around long enough to watch your program get it teeth kicked in by a team with a gravy boat at every end table, you will have arrived!

Go Cats! Beat the bunnies!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2022, 10:12 AM
xcoffeex

We'll see on saturday if the kitties can win a tough game on the road.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2022, 11:55 AM
xcoffeex

hey BallardCat

Still waiting to hear who the Big Sky scrubs are you’re sending East

SeattleCat
December 13th, 2022, 12:02 PM
hey BallardCat

Still waiting to hear who the Big Sky scrubs are you’re sending East

If you want to get technical about it's more like ShorelineCat, But if I was you I'd be telling coach to get on the Skattebo train but that scrub is most likely going to Stanford.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2022, 12:25 PM
If you want to get technical about it's more like ShorelineCat, But if I was you I'd be telling coach to get on the Skattebo train but that scrub is most likely going to Stanford.

Alkicat?

SeattleCat
December 13th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Alkicat?
More like Edmonds but dirtier.

nodak651
December 13th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Rivalry of brotherly love. Bison fans will be cheering on SDSU if its SDSU/UIW in Frisco.

CPMPride
December 13th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Rivalry of brotherly love. Bison fans will be cheering on SDSU if its SDSU/UIW in Frisco.

True. While doing shots of vinegar and dish doap with every score, but cheering nonetheless.

POD Knows
December 13th, 2022, 04:16 PM
I won’t but I won’t speak for others. I was cheering for Sammy Houston the last go around.

jacksfan29!
December 13th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black......

You missed this part of the post.

"A college football team that has done nothing really in forever, acting like they are the Virgin Mary and everybody else is some skank from UND."

NDSU fans, can be pricks all they want. I may despise many of them, they have become THE bitter rival, but their team has backed them up, big time making it difficult to not take their crap. MSU? Sorry, maybe this is your year, for now, act like you have been there and see what happens.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2022, 06:29 PM
More like Edmonds but dirtier.

I knew that area well

Before I became Caribbeanhen, I was known as Pioneer Square Hen .... lived right across the street from the Kingdome on a 399 foot cruise Ship

Bobcat99
December 13th, 2022, 06:51 PM
You missed this part of the post.

"A college football team that has done nothing really in forever, acting like they are the Virgin Mary and everybody else is some skank from UND."

NDSU fans, can be pricks all they want. I may despise many of them, they have become THE bitter rival, but their team has backed them up, big time making it difficult to not take their crap. MSU? Sorry, maybe this is your year, for now, act like you have been there and see what happens.

The whole idea that fans need to be humble, courteous, even kind, is ridiculous to me.

Who cares if we haven’t been here before (although we have. Kicked your ass last year too). This is about fun, entertainment, not about making sure nobody’s feelers get hurt.

If I’m an arrogant cus on a message board does it change the game? Make your day worse? I argue that it does not. If anything, it gives you something to do. You’re welcome.

Btw, you never gave evidence for the supposed Cat fan that was predicting 47-7 or something like that. I’m sure a stand up, humble fella like you wouldn’t have lied though, right?

EDIT TO ADD:

For the record, in person, I am the nicest fan to opposing fans. I love talking to people. I love when people dish it out. But on here? Imma talk **** brotha.

Cat4Life
December 13th, 2022, 08:31 PM
Bobcat99, I believe you are the idiot that predicted a 50 to 33 score in the W&M game and said that was being generous. Don't you feel stupid now, you arrogant Cat fan, lol. Shame on you for not being nice and predicting a W&M win.

Hammerhead
December 13th, 2022, 09:25 PM
No way, Jose. I'll be rooting for IUW if they beat the Bison just to keep our claim that every national champion since 2010 had to beat NDSU in the playoffs.

Bobcat99
December 13th, 2022, 11:22 PM
Bobcat99, I believe you are the idiot that predicted a 50 to 33 score in the W&M game and said that was being generous. Don't you feel stupid now, you arrogant Cat fan, lol. Shame on you for not being nice and predicting a W&M win.

Shoulda stuck to my guns. That’s what I get for being “humble”.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2022, 11:32 PM
It looks like the one area in which the matchups clearly favor the Jackrabbits are in the red zone. SDSU ranks top 10 nationally in both offensive and defensive score %, as well as offensive and defensive TD %. The Bobcats defense has struggled mightily in the red zone, ranking in the 100's nationally in both score allowed % and TD allowed %. Offensively they are a little better, ranking 38th in score % and 49th in TD %.

How the Jackrabbit running game holds up against the Bobcat running game is a huge matchup and will go a long way to determining the outcome, but even if SDSU does give up a lot of yards they can stay in the game if they can hold MSU to FG's in the red zone and score TD's themselves when they get into the red zone.

UNHWildcat18
December 14th, 2022, 12:00 AM
IMHO after watching both teams last weekend.....I think MSU takes it xdrunkyx

Cat4Life
December 14th, 2022, 12:58 AM
It looks like the one area in which the matchups clearly favor the Jackrabbits are in the red zone. SDSU ranks top 10 nationally in both offensive and defensive score %, as well as offensive and defensive TD %. The Bobcats defense has struggled mightily in the red zone, ranking in the 100's nationally in both score allowed % and TD allowed %. Offensively they are a little better, ranking 38th in score % and 49th in TD %.

How the Jackrabbit running game holds up against the Bobcat running game is a huge matchup and will go a long way to determining the outcome, but even if SDSU does give up a lot of yards they can stay in the game if they can hold MSU to FG's in the red zone and score TD's themselves when they get into the red zone.

The Bobcats offensive red zone % is a wierd contrast to thier points per game average. MSU averages more redzone attempts per game and slightly more red zone tds per game. The difference is almost 78% of SDSU points come off of their red zone, vs only 63.5% of the cats points coming from the redzone. So the Jacks need to match red zone attempts, but they will have to limit MSUs big plays. If both teams show up with their A game this will be an awesome game. So far this year there hasn't been a defense that has really been able to stop our offense, and we are probably as close to full strength as we have been all year. The Jacks have a great defense, but they did show a chink in that armor last Saturday, and that bit of weakness happens to be in the area that MSU excels in. But as has been pointed out, the Cats away game performances haven't been as dominant, especially on the defensive side, so hopefully they can bring their home team performance to this away game.

Chalupa Batman
December 14th, 2022, 02:08 AM
The Bobcats offensive red zone % is a wierd contrast to thier points per game average. MSU averages more redzone attempts per game and slightly more red zone tds per game. The difference is almost 78% of SDSU points come off of their red zone, vs only 63.5% of the cats points coming from the redzone. So the Jacks need to match red zone attempts, but they will have to limit MSUs big plays. If both teams show up with their A game this will be an awesome game. So far this year there hasn't been a defense that has really been able to stop our offense, and we are probably as close to full strength as we have been all year. The Jacks have a great defense, but they did show a chink in that armor last Saturday, and that bit of weakness happens to be in the area that MSU excels in. But as has been pointed out, the Cats away game performances haven't been as dominant, especially on the defensive side, so hopefully they can bring their home team performance to this away game.

The Jacks don't need to necessarily match red zone attempts (assuming they also keep the Bobcats from ripping off TD's from outside the red zone) if they are scoring TD's instead of settling for FG's more often. The Jacks score 5.8 points per red zone trip while the Bobcats defense gives up 5.5 points per trip. The Bobcats offense scores 5 points per red zone trip while the SDSU defense gives up only 4 points per trip. If they do struggle to stop the run can they continue to stiffen in the red zone?

I suspect the Jacks defense is feeling pretty embarrassed by last weeks performance and we will see a much better effort from them Saturday. MSU's running game is too good to completely stop but I think the Jacks can keep them from consistently ripping off runs of 5,6, 8 yards or more, which will eventually lead to some 3rd & long situations. Getting off the field in those situations is a must for them.

Bisonator
December 14th, 2022, 08:09 AM
No ****ing way I'm cheering for the bunny turds! Now if it was SDSU vs UND I'd have to hope a tornado hit Frisco during the game!

Winterborn
December 14th, 2022, 08:26 AM
No ****ing way I'm cheering for the bunny turds! Now if it was SDSU vs UND I'd have to hope a tornado hit Frisco during the game!

Exactly.

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2022, 08:45 AM
IMHO after watching both teams last weekend.....I think MSU takes it xdrunkyx
That's an easy call just looking at last week's games... the problem with that is I think Montana St looked better than they really are and SDSU looked worse than they really are in their games last week. I could definitely be wrong but I think SDSU's run defense rounds back into form this week - the things Holy Cross exposed could help them since Montana St will be using that as a blueprint for how to run the ball against them. I just don't think SDSU is a good matchup for Montana St. If there's one defense in the FCS equipped to contain Montana St's run game it's SDSU's defense. Montana St is going to have to throw the ball quite a bit more than they're used to in order to win - can Tommy Mellott do that?

Another storyline of this game is one of these starting QBs is going to get a shot at redemption in Frisco after each was injured early in the last two championship games in Frisco in games which both of their respective teams ended up losing while the other is going to come up agonizingly short this year.

jacksfan29!
December 14th, 2022, 09:34 AM
That's an easy call just looking at last week's games... the problem with that is I think Montana St looked better than they really are and SDSU looked worse than they really are in their games last week. I could definitely be wrong but I think SDSU's run defense rounds back into form this week - the things Holy Cross exposed could help them since Montana St will be using that as a blueprint for how to run the ball against them. I just don't think SDSU is a good matchup for Montana St. If there's one defense in the FCS equipped to contain Montana St's run game it's SDSU's defense. Montana St is going to have to throw the ball quite a bit more than they're used to in order to win - can Tommy Mellott do that?

Another storyline of this game is one of these starting QBs is going to get a shot at redemption in Frisco after each was injured early in the last two championship games in Frisco in games which both of their respective teams ended up losing while the other is going to come up agonizingly short this year.

William & Mary looked like they wanted to be anywhere other than Bozeman. Their QB gave up in the 1st quarter, guy could not complete a pass to wide open receivers. Holy Cross were prepared to play, and looked like a team who wanted to be there. Well coached, more physical than expected. We will see what happens, but I'll say it again. The goal is to survive and move on, not blow your wad and pound your chest. NDSU has perfected this over the years, hopefully Stiggy learned something by watching the rivals to the north.

Cat4Life
December 14th, 2022, 09:41 AM

Lots of questions. Did W&M just make the cats look good or are they finally just all healthy for the first time since the first game of the year? Maybe getting Ifanse back just driven their rushing attack to new heights. Was the Holy Cross game just a one off for SDSU, or was their struggle against a mobile running QB a weakness that was finally exposed. Will MSUs defense continue to play like they have in the last month or will they revert to earlier road game form. This should be a fun game. Just a side note, SDSUs game plan last year against Mellott was to force him to throw. His stat line was 233 yards passing with 2 tds and no ints, and 155 yards rushing and 2 tds.

Cat4Life
December 14th, 2022, 10:03 AM
William & Mary looked like they wanted to be anywhere other than Bozeman. Their QB gave up in the 1st quarter, guy could not complete a pass to wide open receivers. Holy Cross were prepared to play, and looked like a team who wanted to be there. Well coached, more physical than expected. We will see what happens, but I'll say it again. The goal is to survive and move on, not blow your wad and pound your chest. NDSU has perfected this over the years, hopefully Stiggy learned something by watching the rivals to the north.

Oh I see. So the Jacks were just toying with Holy Cross, knowing that they could score whenever they wanted. But they are so nice and humble and wanted to make Sluka look good. But those arrogant, mean Bobcats just ran the score up on a W&M team that didn't want to be there. It was all show so that they can beat their chests and brag. Got it. To bad the Bobcats haven't figured out that the best way to advance is to just barely win in the 4th quarter. But wait, when the Bobcats were on the road and had to come from behind to win or barely won, that just shows how bad they are. Man, these rules are so confusing.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2022, 10:13 AM

Holy Cross fans were not surprised at all

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Lots of questions. Did W&M just make the cats look good or are they finally just all healthy for the first time since the first game of the year? Maybe getting Ifanse back just driven their rushing attack to new heights. Was the Holy Cross game just a one off for SDSU, or was their struggle against a mobile running QB a weakness that was finally exposed. Will MSUs defense continue to play like they have in the last month or will they revert to earlier road game form. This should be a fun game. Just a side note, SDSUs game plan last year against Mellott was to force him to throw. His stat line was 233 yards passing with 2 tds and no ints, and 155 yards rushing and 2 tds.
Yep, those are all valid questions. Mobile QBs aren't anything new for SDSU so was Sluka just that much better than anything they'd see to that point or did they have an off week? I think Mellott is a better runner than Sluka is so we'll find out. I'm still not sold on Tommy throwing the ball though. Last year in the playoffs and especially that SDSU game it seemed like their pass game consisted of him throwing 50/50 deep balls at single coverage and his receivers, primarily Lance McCutcheon, making plays for him. That's not a good way to sustain drives against an elite defense like SDSU's and their defense is quite a bit better this year than it was last year also. Tommy is also a year better though too so we'll see - this will be both the Montana St offense and the SDSU defense biggest tests of the year.

NDSU1980
December 14th, 2022, 10:15 AM
The only time you'll ever see me cheering for SDSU is when they play und.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 10:28 AM
The Jacks don't need to necessarily match red zone attempts (assuming they also keep the Bobcats from ripping off TD's from outside the red zone) if they are scoring TD's instead of settling for FG's more often. The Jacks score 5.8 points per red zone trip while the Bobcats defense gives up 5.5 points per trip. The Bobcats offense scores 5 points per red zone trip while the SDSU defense gives up only 4 points per trip. If they do struggle to stop the run can they continue to stiffen in the red zone?

I suspect the Jacks defense is feeling pretty embarrassed by last weeks performance and we will see a much better effort from them Saturday. MSU's running game is too good to completely stop but I think the Jacks can keep them from consistently ripping off runs of 5,6, 8 yards or more, which will eventually lead to some 3rd & long situations. Getting off the field in those situations is a must for them.

Now that we're actually talking football again... the game comes down to whether MSU continues to get big gainers which, as Cat4Life pointed out, accounts for more than 1/3 of how we generate points. As you point out, if it comes down to red zone chances vs red zone chances, MSU likely loses.

I expect the Jacks to come out with their hair on fire after getting gashed by Sluka (213 net rushing yards; 261 for the team as a whole). Pride of the defensive unit, particularly the front 7, has been challenged and I expect them to play with a major chip on their shoulder. That said, I believe HC is the first team that SDSU has faced that had a running QB. Sluka is 30th in rushing ypg. The next most "run-centric" QB they faced was Butler's Bret Bushka (93rd most rushing ypg) and those are literally the ONLY 2 QB's in the top 200 for rushing ypg that SDSU has faced. Holy Cross basically ran for their season average, slightly more in fact. For comparison, Tommy Mellott is 24th and Sean Chambers is 43rd in rushing ypg. If running QB's is the SDSU's lone chink in the armor on defense.... that bodes well for MSU. Was last week a fluke? Or can the Bobcats exploit that area with even better running QB's than Holy Cross has?

This is going to be one helluva game. Is it Saturday yet?!?!

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 10:36 AM

That is an interesting storyline. I knew about the SDSU QB going down, but the similarity never really clicked. I didn't pay much attention to the 2020-21 season*.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Ifanse is running at over 12 ypc in his 2 games back, both against playoff teams with decent to good run D's (Weber would be the 10th best run D at 106.9 ypg excluding the 2 times MSU ran all over them and W&M would be 43rd with 145.7). He may be the freshest player in the country.

The question about the defense in the last month is the other major question about this game, the other being can SDSU stop running QB's. Two things that I think contribute to the resurgence of the MSU defense, one much more than the other. The first has been passing the ball much less. We passed an absurd 30 times against NAU (38%), many times deep balls (over 15-20 yards) when we needed like 6 yards. Next week against (granted) Cal Poly, if you exclude backup Sean Austin, we threw 24% of the time. Against the Griz, a paltry 13.2% were passes. Weber was 29%, which was similar to the first matchup, and against W&M was under 21%. If we run the ball 25% or less, it keeps drives going and the defense off the field where they stay fresh but also can't give up yards/scores. The second factor could be Rylan Ortt's return. His first game back from suspension and the reinstatement snafu was against NAU. Did he shake off some rust and that is contributing to an improvement over the last 4 games? He isn't lighting up the stat sheet, but we aren't the Griz so a safety making tackles isn't our goal, but since returning he has 13 solo, 13 assisted tackles, 1 QB hit, 2 pass break ups, and 1 INT.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 11:25 AM
Yep, those are all valid questions. Mobile QBs aren't anything new for SDSU so was Sluka just that much better than anything they'd see to that point or did they have an off week? I think Mellott is a better runner than Sluka is so we'll find out. I'm still not sold on Tommy throwing the ball though. Last year in the playoffs and especially that SDSU game it seemed like their pass game consisted of him throwing 50/50 deep balls at single coverage and his receivers, primarily Lance McCutcheon, making plays for him. That's not a good way to sustain drives against an elite defense like SDSU's and their defense is quite a bit better this year than it was last year also. Tommy is also a year better though too so we'll see - this will be both the Montana St offense and the SDSU defense biggest tests of the year.

Wait... what??? I just made a post that Sluka is the ONLY running QB the wascally wabbits have faced and we have TWO, one slightly better and one slightly worse stats-wise. What metric are you using other than rushing ypg to say they've faced running QB's?

Edit: I agree that last year, having McCutcheon made it a lot easier for Tommy to huck it downfield. Willie pulls down quite a few also, but Lance was on a different level and continued to do the same a bit in the NFL preseason. If we are throwing more than to just add a wrinkle... things are not going well.

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2022, 12:31 PM
Wait... what??? I just made a post that Sluka is the ONLY running QB the wascally wabbits have faced and we have TWO, one slightly better and one slightly worse stats-wise. What metric are you using other than rushing ypg to say they've faced running QB's?

Edit: I agree that last year, having McCutcheon made it a lot easier for Tommy to huck it downfield. Willie pulls down quite a few also, but Lance was on a different level and continued to do the same a bit in the NFL preseason. If we are throwing more than to just add a wrinkle... things are not going well.
There's plenty of QBs they faced in the MVFC who are dangerous on the run - Shelley from Missouri St, Miller from NDSU, and Schuster from UND to name a few but now that I think about it you're right that none of those guys are the types who would typically carry it 15-20 times a game like Sluka or Mellott/Chambers. Maybe the running QB is the SDSU defense's kryptonite - we'll find out since they'll either win because they can contain Mellott/Chambers or lose because they can't on Saturday.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 12:38 PM
There's plenty of QBs they faced in the MVFC who are dangerous on the run - Shelley from Missouri St, Miller from NDSU, and Schuster from UND to name a few but now that I think about it you're right that none of those guys are the types who would typically carry it 15-20 times a game like Sluka or Mellott/Chambers. Maybe the running QB is the SDSU defense's kryptonite - we'll find out since they'll either win because they can contain Mellott/Chambers or lose because they can't on Saturday.

Yes, I think your definition of mobile QB is more that they can bust a run when a designed play breaks down, whereas my definition is the QB busts runs by design. Neither Shelley nor Miller nor Schuster is in the top 200 for ypg (>34.9 ypg) so it is likely that all 3 combined don't rush for just Tommy's game average of 96.8. And Chambers isn't far behind at 77.3 ypg.

Herder
December 14th, 2022, 12:42 PM
Will Montana St. run on SDSU like they did W&M? No, not even close. In my opinion Ifanse will be the the more effective runner vs. SDSU than Melotte, as they will be geared up for QB run. Can MT State stop by Davis on the ground and the SDSU passing attack? To me it's pretty even steven, and I give the advantage to the Jacks at home. If you think that MT State puts up 55 on the Jacks, think again.

Chalupa Batman
December 14th, 2022, 01:04 PM

Mobile and running are two different things here. They have played a couple other mobile QB's in Jason Shelley from MSU and Tommy Shuster from UND, both of those guys are very elusive but are mostly scrambling to buy more time to throw. They did pretty good against both of those guys. Sluka was the 1st QB the Jacks played that would just take off running quickly on dropbacks. Was that because it exposed some weakness in the SDSU defense, or because of some schematic flaw that can be (somewhat) corrected? I don't think that really comes in to play in this game because Montana State doesn't pass as often, and when they do it's not like most dropbacks where the QB scans the field.

On designed runs (taking out sacks and scrambles) Sluka had 136 yards on 13 carries, and 92 of them came on 2 carries. Mellott and Chambers are sure to hit a couple of similar big gainers themselves, but can they consistently get the 5-7 yard runs? Or can the SDSU defense hold them to 3 or less often enough and force MSU to pass? I expect both units are going to be losing a lot more battles than they are used to in this one. Who can give less is likely to win.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Will Montana St. run on SDSU like they did W&M? No, not even close. In my opinion Ifanse will be the the more effective runner vs. SDSU than Melotte, as they will be geared up for QB run. Can MT State stop by Davis on the ground and the SDSU passing attack? To me it's pretty even steven, and I give the advantage to the Jacks at home. If you think that MT State puts up 55 on the Jacks, think again.

If HC ran for 261, when their season average coming in was 244, I see no reason to think we can't run for close to the 328 against W&M. Our lowest output of the season was against #14/17 Oregon State, which has a top 20 FBS run defense at 114 ypg, with 168 yards and a 5.3 ypc average. If we're held under 250, we're probably in big trouble without a positive turnover margin.

We DID stop Isaiah Davis last year (held to 1.4 ypc on 9 attempts). I readily concede that this year's defense isn't as good as last year, but our failings come more from the passing defense than the rushing defense (61st at 222.4ypg vs. 32nd allowing 131.2ypg, respectively).

I know we catch hell for our close road games, but in the EWU game, Tommy went down early and Chambers, in his 4th game ever with the team and first at the helm, gutted out a W. The other, NAU, is always a house of horrors and lost to 3 playoff teams (UND, MSU, and Weber) by a grand total of 8 points (and we were "experimenting" on offense by passing way more than usual, as I've much lamented on this forum). Looking at the ticket availability, crowd noise won't be a huge advantage, nor will cold (we play on an ice field, I've been told). Traveling vs not traveling is always going to be a disadvantage. There IS going to be a fair breeze (18 mph with gusts to 22 per AccuWeather), which hurts SDSU as the better passing team more than us.

I also highly doubt anyone thinks we hang 55 on them. 55 is a ton of points in ANY game, let alone a playoff, and even more unlikely in a semifinal, on the road.

Can you tell I'm ****ing amped for this battle? xlolx There are a lot of factors that give me a decent belief that we can come out of Brookings with the upset. And make no bones about it, we understand we are the underdog (possibly for the first time in an FCS game all year). But if we play our game, and maybe just a bit of luck, I think we have the horses to ride to a W.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Mobile and running are two different things here. They have played a couple other mobile QB's in Jason Shelley from MSU and Tommy Shuster from UND, both of those guys are very elusive but are mostly scrambling to buy more time to throw. They did pretty good against both of those guys. Sluka was the 1st QB the Jacks played that would just take off running quickly on dropbacks. Was that because it exposed some weakness in the SDSU defense, or because of some schematic flaw that can be (somewhat) corrected? I don't think that really comes in to play in this game because Montana State doesn't pass as often, and when they do it's not like most dropbacks where the QB scans the field.

On designed runs (taking out sacks and scrambles) Sluka had 136 yards on 13 carries, and 92 of them came on 2 carries. Mellott and Chambers are sure to hit a couple of similar big gainers themselves, but can they consistently get the 5-7 yard runs? Or can the SDSU defense hold them to 3 or less often enough and force MSU to pass? I expect both units are going to be losing a lot more battles than they are used to in this one. Who can give less is likely to win.

Beautifully stated!

catbob
December 14th, 2022, 01:51 PM
MSU fans are certainly arrogant right now, I've commented it on it myself. I've never seen such confidence from our fanbase but this might be the best Bobcat team I've seen in my 21 years of fandom. And it's that they are peaking at the right time, and playing their best football now. I think MSU fans as a whole could use a little humility but I get the excitement and confidence, I certainly do. It's hard not get to swept up in it.

If this game was in Bozeman I'd honestly call this one for the Bobcats with no hesitation. But it's not in Bozeman, obviously. The Cats offense is built to travel and play in any conditions, and SDSU is built to stop a rushing team like MSU. It's an intriguing matchup and for the first time in the playoffs I'm nervous for a game, a game that we might not be able to win. At this point I'm of the mindset of "I'll believe the Cat rushing attack can be stopped when I see it", both UM and Weber were allowing less than 90 YPG before they played the Cats, both scoring defenses in the low teens. I was nervous for both but the Cats found a way to do what they do, run the ball.

The Cats haven't played as well on the road but I go back to my point about peaking at the right time. If MSU played EWU right now, any location, the Cats win by 50. MSU has improved dramatically and EWU just gave up, they were still ranked and still playing with the belief they were a playoff team. NAU was a bit more of a head scratcher but teams who throw the ball over the field have given the Cats fits all year, and MSU did plenty of things to let NAU hang around and come back. MSU jumped to an early 17-0 lead but then proceeded to have Tommy Mellott throw the ball 29 times, a season high and the only reason MSU fans can come up with is they wanted to work on the passing game. Sean Chambers was out injured for this one as well. I believe it was safety Ryan Ortt's first game back from suspension as well, his re-acclimation has been vital to our late season improvement on defense because the two guys who had been rotating all year were just awful. And NAU is just a weird, tough place to play. That being said the Cats were lucky to get out of there with a win, and if we play like that in Brookings we will get crushed.

If the Cats lose it will be because SDSU executed better, I don't think the Cats will do anything to lose themselves. The Cats have found their identity and have not strayed from the formula since NAU, and it no longer includes throwing 50/50 balls to Lance McCutcheon, I keep reading that. It's no longer a big part of our playbook, and in fact it's almost completely been removed in the last 4 games or so. I also don't think it matters what Sluka did, there was no blueprint laid there. MSU is going to do what they do, period. If SDSU stops them, they deserve to go to Frisco.

There are some interesting intangibles in this one. SDSU playing for revenge (Stig says no but come on these kids are humans), and players potentially playing for Stig knowing this could be his last season or getting close to. And MSU has had it's eye on Frisco all year to get another shot, and MSU legend Sonny Holland passed away last week and everything for the W&M game was dedicated to him, and I think the Cats will carry some of that focus forward.

Karl Havoc
December 14th, 2022, 02:45 PM
One thing that I think is hard to quantify is how good MSU’s receivers are at blocking. They are excellent at holding their blocks and creating space on the outside. It forces safeties and linebackers to make 1 on 1 tackles where the runner has a ton of space. All 11 defenders have to be prepared to defeat blocks and tackle in space for 4 quarters - you can’t just rely on the front 7 to shut the run down.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Anticipation is growing! I've done probably an hour of work so far today xembarrassedx Not good, considering I need to update our accounting software and relearn how to push it out to the other users prior to year end in order to archive this year's payroll data. Oh... and I need like 20 or 25 hours of CPE before the end of the year also.

Procrastination is like masturbation. It's only fun until you realize you're ****ing yourself...

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Wabbit Fans, What's the weather like right now? It looks super ****ty.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2022, 09:32 AM
Wabbit Fans, What's the weather like right now? It looks super ****ty.
That pretty much sums it up. xnodx

RahRahRabbits
December 15th, 2022, 09:36 AM
About a quarter inch of ice or so and a couple inches snow the past couple days. Still snowing now, likely another 2-6" today. Snow should quit falling around noon tomorrow (Friday). More recent snow seems to be quite a bit lighter, which will be in danger of blowing around into Friday evening. "Calm" wind on Saturday of 15 mph should help clear the air... but facilities/grounds crew is going to have their hands full getting the field ready. Temp isn't going to allow much for melting naturally.

Bring your ice cleats, I hear you have some special ones xlolx. Hope the Cat fans... well, at least the ones that aren't predicting another W&M curb stomping and are already waiting in their seats in Frisco... are able to make it out despite the crappy conditions... don't want any accusations of SDSU creating unnecessary weather events for additional home-field advantage.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2022, 10:19 AM
About a quarter inch of ice or so and a couple inches snow the past couple days. Still snowing now, likely another 2-6" today. Snow should quit falling around noon tomorrow (Friday). More recent snow seems to be quite a bit lighter, which will be in danger of blowing around into Friday evening. "Calm" wind on Saturday of 15 mph should help clear the air... but facilities/grounds crew is going to have their hands full getting the field ready. Temp isn't going to allow much for melting naturally.

Bring your ice cleats, I hear you have some special ones xlolx. Hope the Cat fans... well, at least the ones that aren't predicting another W&M curb stomping and are already waiting in their seats in Frisco... are able to make it out despite the crappy conditions... don't want any accusations of SDSU creating unnecessary weather events for additional home-field advantage.
Yeah, even without the snow the weather for this game will not be for the faint of heart. Likely temps in the single digits at kickoff and falling from there with the sun going down around halftime - the 15 mph "breeze" won't help matters either.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2022, 10:43 AM
Honestly, These cold weather games are hard to watch, couldn’t imagine having to play in it

Winterborn
December 15th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Honestly, These cold weather games are hard to watch, couldn’t imagine having to play in it

I would rather play in it than sit in the stands watching it. When it gets cold, it is much better to be active than siting on ones hands.

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2022, 10:57 AM

Bobcat fans usually travel pretty well, but I think this storm will cut everybody's attendance down. And yes! obviously we have special cleats we will be bringing as long as the equipment truck shows up lol

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2022, 11:03 AM
Bobcat fans usually travel pretty well, but I think this storm will cut everybody's attendance down. And yes! obviously we have special cleats we will be bringing as long as the equipment truck shows up lol
But are these legal?
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/climbing-boots-crampo-2851294.jpg

catbob
December 15th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Yea I'm a little nervous about the equipment truck making it. I think the team will fly into SF and it sounds like that area isn't as bad.

Weather is definitely going to kill the road trip for plenty a Bobcat fan, but it is what it is.

In terms of having a weather advantage, Montana State is probably about the worst team in the country for SDSU to have that advantage over, I don't think that will matter at all. If anything if it turns into a windy day where passing is difficult I think that would favor the Bobcats.

MSUBobcat
December 15th, 2022, 11:39 AM

Wiki says the field is AstroTurf. I assume that is a generic use of the brand name like saying Xerox for a copier and it's actually something more like FieldTurf or Sprinturf? I just want to make sure our equipment managers are aware of the playing surface so we bring the right skates, errrrrrr.... cleats.

Ironically, Bobcat Stadium has FieldTurf and W&M's Zabel Stadium has..... FieldTurf (according to Wiki). Amazed at how some folks here blame W&M's cleats when their playing field is the same product. xdontknowx

MSUBobcat
December 15th, 2022, 01:15 PM
This weather/road closure is becoming an issue. Hopefully the equipment truck beat the storm and is already there. Ventured onto Bobcat Nation to see if there was any word on the truck's status. SDSU's administrative offices are closed today. One poster's sister's boyfriend's daughter's best friend's cousin's neighbor's dog said "they are looking into postponing the game" (taken with a massive grain of salt). Anyone know if that is an actual possibility?

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Move the game to warm Sunny Puerto RicoImagehttps://www.anygivensaturday.com/image/svg xml;charset=utf-8,%3Csvg xmlns='http%3A//www.w3.org/2000/svg' xmlns%3Axlink='http%3A//www.w3.org/1999/xlink' viewBox='0 0 9 6'%3E%3Cfilter id='b' color-interpolation-filters='sRGB'%3E%3CfeGaussianBlur stdDeviation='.5'%3E%3C/feGaussianBlur%3E%3CfeComponentTransfer%3E%3CfeFun cA type='discrete' tableValues='1 1'%3E%3C/feFuncA%3E%3C/feComponentTransfer%3E%3C/filter%3E%3Cimage filter='url(%23b)' x='0' y='0' height='100%25' width='100%25' xlink%3Ahref='data%3Aimage/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDABALDA4MChAODQ4SERATGCgaGBYWGDEjJR0oOjM9PDkzOD dASFxOQERXRTc4UG1RV19iZ2hnPk1xeXBkeFxlZ2P/2wBDARESEhgVGC8aGi9jQjhCY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2 NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2NjY2P/wAARCAAGAAkDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAFgABAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQF/8QAIRAAAgEBCQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIABAMFBhITFiFTkaH/xAAUAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD/8QAGBEAAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQIRAAP/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/ANC7cO0mmrlA ZQ4L8/JRt l67PyIiK7KIDh6IpNm//Z'%3E%3C/image%3E%3C/svg%3Ehttps://static01-nyt-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/static01.nyt.com/images/2017/03/26/travel/26PUERTORICO/26PUERTORICO-jumbo.jpg

Chalupa Batman
December 15th, 2022, 01:22 PM

In high school we had a playoff game postponed when the temperature was around 5 degrees and the wind chill was below zero. It was even colder the next day but we played the game anyway because we basically had to. It was below zero temperatures and wind chill was something like 15-20 degrees below zero. Moving around helped some but it was still plenty miserable.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2022, 01:40 PM
This is why FUBeAR’s FCS Final Four EXPERIENCE plan…in, say, Orlando, needs to be implemented…next year.

Bring 4 Teams & their Fans to 1 location for a week - SemiFinal DoubleHeader on, say, Monday or even Tuesday afternoon/evening and Championship game following Saturday afternoon. Yep - ridiculously short turnaround. MAC schools do it all the time…don’t they? Do it around Christmas / New Years so families can plan / spend a week in a Destination location…Increase interest attendance & save money…if done correctly. As wonderful as they are this time of year, Fargo, Brookings, and Bozeman just aren’t Destinations. Neither is Dallas/Frisco…really.

Anyway…back to your bickering. Heading outside to get a workout in - Sunny & Mid 50’s in ATL today. No ice cleats required.

SteelSD
December 15th, 2022, 01:44 PM
Wait, are we voting on tropical locations to hold the final 4? I'm on board with this!

SeattleCat
December 15th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Wait, are we voting on tropical locations to hold the final 4? I'm on board with this!

Cabo seems like a great neutral location, they at least have to have a soccer field or something.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Cabo seems like a great neutral location, they at least have to have a soccer field or something.
Nah…vax requirements, cartel payoffs, passports, other shots, diarrhea…too much hassle

Vegas could work though … alternate years…Vegas & Orlando….could add PHX and New Orleans or Miami or TampaBay to the mix, perhaps…but for families Orlando…and, maybe, Vegas make the most sense.

JacksFan40
December 15th, 2022, 07:42 PM
In high school we had a playoff game postponed when the temperature was around 5 degrees and the wind chill was below zero. It was even colder the next day but we played the game anyway because we basically had to. It was below zero temperatures and wind chill was something like 15-20 degrees below zero. Moving around helped some but it was still plenty miserable.
Never played in a game that cold, but we played in a blizzard my senior year. First time I’d ever been in a game where punting was the most important aspect of the game. Never been more miserable than when my bare hands hit the snow after getting stiff armed, hands were ice blocks the rest of the game.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2022, 09:34 PM

this explains a lot about you xdrunkyx

Chalupa Batman
December 15th, 2022, 10:03 PM
this explains a lot about you xdrunkyx

What's your excuse? xbeerchugx

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2022, 10:40 PM
What's your excuse? xbeerchugx

too many cervezas on a tropical Island where the sun ain’t as hot as the ladies

gofurman
December 15th, 2022, 11:08 PM
too many cervezas on a tropical Island where the sun ain’t as hot as the ladies

well played. NDSU has great football but the “ladies” in the south don’t wear jackets-that-cover-too-much for very long. Sundresses man. Heck my son was looking at Coastal Carolina - on tour - and the females were in bikinis in FEBRUARY!!! Laying outside tanning in bikinis in late February

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2022, 06:01 AM
[/B]
well played. NDSU has great football but the “ladies” in the south don’t wear jackets-that-cover-too-much for very long. Sundresses man. Heck my son was looking at Coastal Carolina - on tour - and the females were in bikinis in FEBRUARY!!! Laying outside tanning in bikinis in late FebruaryCoastal Carolina is in Conway…25 miles from the beach.

UC Santa Barbara is the way to go … dorms ON the beach!

https://live.staticflickr.com/4046/4669180683_7c2b3f963b_b.jpg

The Gauchos don’t play Football though. Probably gotta go with Water Polo if you’re looking for a contact sport there.

atthewbon
December 16th, 2022, 09:32 AM
Wiki says the field is AstroTurf. I assume that is a generic use of the brand name like saying Xerox for a copier and it's actually something more like FieldTurf or Sprinturf? I just want to make sure our equipment managers are aware of the playing surface so we bring the right skates, errrrrrr.... cleats.

Ironically, Bobcat Stadium has FieldTurf and W&M's Zabel Stadium has..... FieldTurf (according to Wiki). Amazed at how some folks here blame W&M's cleats when their playing field is the same product. xdontknowx

I think it actually is the brand AstroTurf. I think I remember seeing some pictures with their logo when they were setting it up.

MSUBobcat
December 16th, 2022, 09:39 AM
I think it actually is the brand AstroTurf. I think I remember seeing some pictures with their logo when they were setting it up.

OH MAN!!! The cleats are gonna be the decider. Sonuva....

MSUBobcat
December 16th, 2022, 09:55 AM
Great news yesterday. Our equipment truck was in Mitchell, SD last night (https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/montana-state-equipment-truck-presses-on-through-perilous-conditions-on-way-to-south-dakota-state), planning to cruise in to Sioux Falls early today. With the interstate and other road closures, he zig zagged across the backroads of MT, ND and SD, leaving I94 at Miles City, MT. "The roads, the weather, it's been pretty... not great," Reiner told MTN Sports on Thursday during a 30-minute rest in Huron, S.D. "I've driven through so many snow drifts. I had snow coming over the hood of the truck. It was pretty hairy; I had about 30 feet of visibility and you're driving a 65-foot truck. You want to have a little more than that."

Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you for your service, Mr. Reiner!

catbob
December 16th, 2022, 10:23 AM
The best defense MSU faced all year was Oregon State, who has the 20th best rush defense in the FBS at 114 YPG and 4 YPC. MSU ran for 168 yards and 5.3 YPC and 3 touchdowns on a season low 32 rushing attemps. OSU has also only given up 17 rushing touchdowns in 12 games. That was a weird game offensively, Mellott threw 3 interceptions, the defense literally couldn't make a stop and we got rolled. But the silver lining was the rushing attack, which IMO has only gotten better as we've added more players into the mix and focused our identity, we were still feeling our way out offensively at that point.

SDSU fans seem to mock projects that the Cats will run for 300+ but if the Cats get let's say 44 carries (average is 49 per game), and average 5.5 YPC (a full 1.2 less than our season average) that is still 242 yards on the ground. Personally I think over 300 is a very, very tall task but I also don't think it's out of the question. MSU is prolific running the ball, and it's what we do. It's been fun hearing the head coaches of the two best defenses in the Big Sky, both who gave up less than 90 YPG in all other games before the playoffs (Griz got steamrolled in Fargo obviously) say the same thing - we knew they were going to run the ball, everyone in the stadium knew it, and we couldn't stop it. Weber State had a second crack at it and still gave up 388 yards but they did do a better job of limiting the 40+ yard touchdown runs, holding MSU to 33 points versus 41 the first time out.

MSU's rush offense also isn't predicated on wearing teams down like it was last year. It's all about misdirection, smoke and mirrors, and exploiting missed assignments or unbalanced formations. SDSU is deep and that will help them but just pointing out MSU doesn't rely on wearing out a defense like NDSU does.

If SDSU can sustain drives and convert 3rd downs all day, then MSU simply won't have as many opportunities to run the ball and I think that will be a big key in winning the game for the Jacks.

caribbeanhen
December 16th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Great news yesterday. Our equipment truck was in Mitchell, SD last night (https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/montana-state-equipment-truck-presses-on-through-perilous-conditions-on-way-to-south-dakota-state), planning to cruise in to Sioux Falls early today. With the interstate and other road closures, he zig zagged across the backroads of MT, ND and SD, leaving I94 at Miles City, MT. "The roads, the weather, it's been pretty... not great," Reiner told MTN Sports on Thursday during a 30-minute rest in Huron, S.D. "I've driven through so many snow drifts. I had snow coming over the hood of the truck. It was pretty hairy; I had about 30 feet of visibility and you're driving a 65-foot truck. You want to have a little more than that."

Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you for your service, Mr. Reiner!

it doesn’t need to be so Hard

Points Guy

(https://thepointsguy.com/destination/caribbean/puerto-rico/)

(https://www.google.com/search?q=puerto+rico&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjk-pKkx_77AhXPrXIEHYF2DhsQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=puerto+ric&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQARgBMgQIIxAnMgQ IIxAnMgQIIxAnMggIABCABBCxAzIICAAQgAQQsQM6BwgAELEDE ENQ5QpYoQxgsSJoAHAAeACAAdcDiAHKCZIBBzEuMS40LTKYAQC gAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=mZycY6TKHM_bytMPge252AE&bih=635&biw=375&client=safari&hl=en#)

https://thepointsguy.freetls.fastly.net/us/originals/2019/05/iStock-531705776.jpg

MSUBobcat
December 16th, 2022, 10:55 AM
it doesn’t need to be so Hard

Points Guy

(https://thepointsguy.com/destination/caribbean/puerto-rico/)

(https://www.google.com/search?q=puerto+rico&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjk-pKkx_77AhXPrXIEHYF2DhsQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=puerto+ric&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQARgBMgQIIxAnMgQ IIxAnMgQIIxAnMggIABCABBCxAzIICAAQgAQQsQM6BwgAELEDE ENQ5QpYoQxgsSJoAHAAeACAAdcDiAHKCZIBBzEuMS40LTKYAQC gAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=mZycY6TKHM_bytMPge252AE&bih=635&biw=375&client=safari&hl=en#)

https://thepointsguy.freetls.fastly.net/us/originals/2019/05/iStock-531705776.jpg

Probably need to charter a flight just for the gear. NC$$ says no. xsmhx

catbob
December 16th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Here's a good article talking about MSU's improvement throughout the season if anyone has some time to kill:

https://skylinesportsmt.com/cats-have-mastered-the-art-of-improvement-on-the-way-to-fcs-final-four/

MSUBobcat
December 16th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Here's a good article talking about MSU's improvement throughout the season if anyone has some time to kill:

https://skylinesportsmt.com/cats-have-mastered-the-art-of-improvement-on-the-way-to-fcs-final-four/

If anyone has time to kill?? I'm at work. I've got nothing BUT time to kill! Thanks for sharing.

catbob
December 16th, 2022, 04:15 PM
sdfsdf

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 16th, 2022, 05:04 PM
MSU left Bozeman-Yellowstone airport about an hour ago. They should be landing in SF within the next 30 minutes iirc.....

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2022, 04:12 AM
Weather at kickoff 10 degrees ( -8 windchill) with 18 mph wind gusting to 28 mph.

Over/under on total passes thrown is 8.

Professor Chaos
December 17th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Weather at kickoff 10 degrees ( -8 windchill) with 18 mph wind gusting to 28 mph.

SDSU will throw the ball a decent amount - their running game typically isn't the Montana St type that they can just lean on through the whole game without even trying to pass and SDSU has some really talented receivers between their two TEs (Kraft and Heins) and the Jahnke bros at WR so they're going to still try to get them involved I'd imagine.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Easily over.

SDSU will have 8 passes in the 1st quarter.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Easily over.

SDSU will have 8 passes in the 1st quarter.

In my opinion, the real question is what is the over/under for passed completed more than, say, 10 yards past the LOS. An 18mph wind adds significant challenge, assuming the QB doesn't have all day and the WR/TE aren't wide open. Trying to put longer passes in a tight window is going to tough today. SDSU is definitely going to try to get the ball to the playmakers (the Jankes, Kraft, etc.) but some of that is going to be shorter passes I would think (slants, WR screen, sweeps).

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 02:54 PM
freaking college BB is on...last minute will take probably 15.....xbangx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Freaking college BB.....last minute will take forever.....^&%**#@!

Bobcat99
December 17th, 2022, 03:05 PM
William & Mary would be petitioning to postpone this game too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Looks awesome in Brookings! Less get it on!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:06 PM
Montana State OC stuck in an elevator.....delayed game

Prime Power
December 17th, 2022, 03:07 PM
Montana State OC stuck in an elevator.....delayed game

SDSU will do anything to get an advantage...lol

Cat4Life
December 17th, 2022, 03:08 PM
Gees, the Jack's will do anything for a win, lol.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 03:08 PM
LOL Montana State Football Offensive Coordinator is stuck in an elevator which is why the game is delayed. LOL @ SDSU

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:09 PM
I picked SDSU but got a feeling about MSU though...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 03:12 PM
TD SDSU! That was easy!!

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:13 PM
This Tucker Kraft guy is pretty good.

KPSUL
December 17th, 2022, 03:14 PM
Looks like MT State has borrowed W&M's shoes.

Prime Power
SDSU = HOT KNIFE
MSU = BUTTER

Bison Fan in NW MN
Well, lets see how the Cats respond to that.

BisonBacker
OOhhh my good start for SDSU

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 03:17 PM
Is this going to be a UIW/Sac State type of score game? I kind of have a feeling it will.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 03:20 PM
what a throw and catch!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:21 PM
50/50 ball completed....

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Honestly surprised the passing game for both teams has been successful at all given the weather.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 03:25 PM
Big special teams mistake but that looked like a horse collar tackle....

JacksFan40
Surprised we stopped them for three plays that close to the end zone. We need to stop those 50/50 balls.

Also that PAT stop was great, probably a horse collar though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
uggh....could be a big blunder later on....missed XP

BisonBacker
This is going to be a good one!

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Big special teams mistake but that looked like a horse collar tackle....
Nope, replay showed it clearly wasn't.

Bobcat99
December 17th, 2022, 03:27 PM
That wasn’t a 50/50 ball. It was a good fade throw to an open WR.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 03:29 PM
How about this Vikings game!

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:31 PM
I quit listening because it seemed over and I’m not a Vikings fan, so what the hell happened?

kdinva
December 17th, 2022, 03:31 PM
QB tackled 12 inches short but ref said first down

Bobcat99
December 17th, 2022, 03:32 PM
What a garbage spot.

SeattleCat
December 17th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Not sure if sdsu has got enough gifts from the refs yet.

ST_Lawson
December 17th, 2022, 03:34 PM

Got the Vikings game on my computer, SDSU and MSU on my phone and got all that I wanted to get done done this morning and early afternoon. Nothing to do but sit and watch some solid football.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Chambers went to the locker room.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:36 PM
MSU cannot stop the run...not good.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 03:37 PM
I quit listening because it seemed over and I’m not a Vikings fan, so what the hell happened?

Going to OT at 36.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:37 PM
MSU cannot stop the run...good.
Fixed it for you.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 03:38 PM
What a garbage spot.

Turrible. Probably get it on 4th, but would be nice to make em earn it instead of rounding up.

JacksFan40
Going to OT at 36.
I really wanted Saturday to work out as HC, oh well I guess. This is the Colts punishment for not building around Luck, and not finding a proper replacement.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Fixed it for you.

Jacks OL is way better than the MSU front 7.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Just Brutal

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2022, 03:41 PM
uggh....could be a big blunder later on....missed XP

lol Bison pulling hard for Montana State

I get it though

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:42 PM
SDSU should have that ball.....

- - - Updated - - -

lol Bison pulling hard for Montana State

I get it though

No, I want an all Valley game!

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 03:42 PM
OOhh boy I don't know about that call

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:44 PM
The call was probably correct based on the rule, but that’s a really stupid rule.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 03:45 PM
The call was probably correct based on the rule, but that’s a really stupid rule.

How so? Being inbounds to recover a fumble?

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Any who. Gonna take, I think it was PC's advice and stay off the board during the game. Hope for a clean game with no injuries. Go Bobcats!

uofmman1122
That ball was 10 yards out of bounds lmao wtf

JacksFan40
They ruled it dead when the MSU player touched it while out of bounds.

Also that pass was uncatchable on the PI, that should be a no call.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Bobcats beating our defense through the air while we stuff their rushing attack, just like we all predicted.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 03:54 PM
SDSU's front 7 is playing really well. I can't help but think playing a team like HC prior to this helped to prepare them....

Bobcat99
December 17th, 2022, 03:55 PM
If MSU doesn’t get a stop here, it’s probably ball game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 03:59 PM
This game is over. MSU cannot stop the run.

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Woof, MSU's defense in true midseason form. I seriously thought they'd be better than this. Still a lot of game left, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he drop the ball before the endzone??????? lmao

Go Lehigh TU owl
Bobcats are being completely pushed around. I did not see this coming...

BisonBacker
This one is getting away from Montana State.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:01 PM
JFC Davis! JUST HOLD ON TO THE BALL WHEN YOU GET TO THE ENDZONE!

uofmman1122
Why the **** do players do that? lmao

Gil Dobie
Big Sky Defense.

Bobcat99
This one is getting away from Montana State.

Reminds me of playing NDSU last year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 04:03 PM
Bobcats are being completely pushed around. I did not see this coming...

It's not like the Cat defense was elite or great. Average at best.

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2022, 04:08 PM
If MSU has to throw the ball, this one is already over.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 04:08 PM
It's not like the Cat defense was elite or great. Average at best.

Still consider them pretty good relative to the rest of FCS. MSU is getting blown up at the LOS on both sides of the ball...

Sader87
December 17th, 2022, 04:09 PM
Sluka > Touchdown Tommy

Bison Fan in NW MN
For ESPN's Stauffer.....it's "Bock" not Brock.....xcoffeexxrolleyesx

BisonBacker
Looks like it's going to be an All Valley Championship.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:10 PM
Some posters on the MSU board are already blaming the committee and the refs for this.

After how the Vikings-Colts went, no lead is safe, we need to keep the foot on the pedal.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 17th, 2022, 04:14 PM

Guaranteed!!

MSU's defense is not that good.

- - - Updated - - -

Some posters on the MSU board are already blaming the committee and the refs for this.

After how the Vikings-Colts went, no lead is safe, we need to keep the foot on the pedal.

SDSU could run on every play and win this game.

Bison56
December 17th, 2022, 04:15 PM

I love people who blame the refs. Complete idiots.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 04:15 PM
SDSU seems due to break another big run....

bulldog10jw
December 17th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Sluka > Touchdown Tommy

I was thinking the same thing.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:17 PM
I’ve had my complains about Lujan, but that sneak with Kraft was a great call. It’s about time we start getting him the ball.

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof

The Big Sky fan in me is sad, but the Griz fan in me cannot stop laughing lol

Bison56
December 17th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Where are all the people who thought MSU should have been the #1 seed? Looks like nap time.

skinny_uncle
December 17th, 2022, 04:19 PM

So much for the Valley being down this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Sluka > Touchdown Tommy

Holy Cross is way better along the both lines than MSU. W&M did not prepare MSU at all....

bulldog10jw
Is this the avalanche that guy was predicting last week?

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Our O-Line is just bullying the Bobcat defense.

If it makes Bobcat fans feel better, Oregon State is throttling Florida 30-0 in the Las Vegas Bowl, so you’re almost on par with the Gators.

KPSUL
I was thinking the same thing.

This game, on this field, yeah.

BisonBacker
The fat lady is tuning up.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Vigen has some work to do with that defense.

Bisonator
After the crazy games i've seen the last 2 days i'm not counting out the kitties yet but it's not looking good lol

RabidRabbit
Four SDSU possessions, four touchdown. Only one red zone amongst the four

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Vigen has some work to do with that defense.

Boy isn't that the truth. NDSU would have gashed them if they'd of made it to the game and played like this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Do the announcers know it is 4th down?

uofmman1122
December 17th, 2022, 04:26 PM
WTF are these announcers talking about? It's 4th down. They can't take a shot lmao

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 04:29 PM
319 Yards in one half for SDSU and 17 on the ground for MSU. You can't win like that.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2022, 04:32 PM
So much for the Valley being down this year.

Yeah and someone started a thread saying both the MVFC and the Big Sky were over rated. Don't think so. Hell the weakest NDSU football team in the last 12 years still made it to the Championship game both NDSU and SDSU plus the Big Sky teams that made the playoffs proved that poster was wrong.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2022, 04:33 PM
SDSU should have that ball.....

- - - Updated - - -

No, I want an all Valley game!

looks like you’ll get your wish, but if I were you I’d want the Big Sky team

POD Knows
December 17th, 2022, 04:35 PM
This SDSU secondary is probably their only weak spot as a team. IWU would have probably been a worse match up for SDSU than MSU. Kind of surprised SDSU got soft in the final minute of the half.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:37 PM
This SDSU secondary is probably their only weak spot as a team. IWU would have probably been a worse match up for SDSU than MSU. Kind of surprised SDSU got soft in the final minute of the half.
SDSU defense is built to beat NDSU, and what does NDSU do on offense? Pound the rock and try and bully the opposing defense. We aren’t built to defend the pass, it’s why I’m partially happy UIW lost.

Christiank22
December 17th, 2022, 04:39 PM
SDSU defense is built to beat NDSU, and what does NDSU do on offense? Pound the rock and try and bully the opposing defense. We aren’t built to defend the pass, it’s why I’m partially happy UIW won.

Hey dude… uhh… UIW lost lol

SoDakSA
December 17th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Wasn't a huge fan of it either, but I'm sure they didn't want to give up a cheap TD. Especially since they get the ball to start the 3rd.

I hope they keep bringing the pressure in the nd half, Montana State just doesn't have an answer in the trenches.

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Hey dude… uhh… UIW lost lol
Fixed it, my bad.

crusader11
December 17th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Soooo would Holy Cross have beaten Montana St?

JacksFan40
December 17th, 2022, 04:48 PM
They keep mentioning how this is the coldest game ever held in Brookings, as if we’ve had many games at home this late in the year.

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Soooo would Holy Cross have beaten Montana St?

Not sure but damn Montana State looks bad and SDSU looks really good

The Yo Show
December 17th, 2022, 04:59 PM
looks like you’ll get your wish, but if I were you I’d want the Big Sky team

Idk if NDSU and SDSU are in the championship together, there is the whole it is really hard to beat a good team twice thing going... and NDSU is still a good team. Don't get me wrong, SDSU will probably be a slight favorite in that matchup but it will be a great game and it should be a winnable game for the Bison.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 04:59 PM
SDSU is just toying with the Bobcats at this point....

Professor Chaos
December 17th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Where's the personal foul for Jankes bow-and-arrow move there????