View Full Version : SELA’s coach to Lamar?

Puddin Tane
December 4th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Name came up today. Says hes been talking to Lamar. I dunno if its a fact, but its the only name thats come up so far. Dudes kinda old for a new gig.

also, ex sela coach ron roberts is available. He got canned as Baylors DC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/lamar-pursuing-southeastern-louisiana-head-coach-frank-scelfo

Puddin Tane
December 4th, 2022, 05:53 PM
I was hoping to poach UIW’s coach or Walden from Austin Peay

lionsrking2
December 4th, 2022, 05:58 PM
He’s not going anywhere

acbearkat
December 4th, 2022, 06:18 PM
I don't think it will happen, personally, but I could be wrong. If I were Lamar, I would look at UH assistant coach Corby Meekins. He's a successful former high school head coach at Spring Westfield. Lamar needs to get someone who can recruit the Golden Triangle region and the Houston area. Meekins was also on Tom Herman's initial coaching staff at UT.

SFA 93
December 5th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Seth Littrell is now available

Daytripper
December 5th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Seth Littrell is now available

Not sure what UNT is thinking here. He was quite successful relative to previous coaches. You would think that the move to the Sun Belt would make UNT prefer less disruption in the transition. Maybe they want to make a splash hire. There are some really good team in that conference that they will need to compete with.

Oh, and let the Keeler rumors commence now...

katss07
December 5th, 2022, 10:27 AM
UNT is joining the AAC and went 44-44 under Littrell, including 0-5 in bowl games. I’m sure he’s a fine coach, serviceable to what a CUSA team might want, but the AAC is a major step up so it shouldn’t come as a shock.

Libertine
December 5th, 2022, 11:49 AM
UNT is joining the AAC and went 44-44 under Littrell, including 0-5 in bowl games.

I agree and I think the bowl games was the kicker.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2022, 12:09 PM
UNT is joining the AAC and went 44-44 under Littrell, including 0-5 in bowl games. I’m sure he’s a fine coach, serviceable to what a CUSA team might want, but the AAC is a major step up so it shouldn’t come as a shock.

Fair enough. Their fan forum is throwing out names like Gary Patterson, Brian Harsin, Justin Fuente, etc. They have the money, so who know?

katss07
December 5th, 2022, 12:35 PM
The posters over on Big Red were throwing out Ron Roberts’ name as he was just fired at Baylor this week. Honestly, I think Scelfo would be a better hire. No disrespect to Southeastern, they’ve become one of the premier programs in the Southland over the past decade, but finishing the season ranked at SELA 4 years in a row is no small feat. Scelfo can clearly recruit and SELA has done well in the portal. Roberts had a few good seasons at Southeastern for sure but Scelfo has kept them consistent since 2019 now.

They have the money to make a splash but I honestly think they might be better served picking a guy with a proven track record in the conference. I mean, it can’t get any worse than this for Lamar can it?

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 01:20 PM
The posters over on Big Red were throwing out Ron Roberts’ name as he was just fired at Baylor this week. Honestly, I think Scelfo would be a better hire. No disrespect to Southeastern, they’ve become one of the premier programs in the Southland over the past decade, but finishing the season ranked at SELA 4 years in a row is no small feat. Scelfo can clearly recruit and SELA has done well in the portal. Roberts had a few good seasons at Southeastern for sure but Scelfo has kept them consistent since 2019 now.

They have the money to make a splash but I honestly think they might be better served picking a guy with a proven track record in the conference. I mean, it can’t get any worse than this for Lamar can it?

Neither will happen but if Ron would take it, he would absolutely crush it at Lamar—especially with the portal wide open now.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Neither will happen.

Elaborate, please.

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Elaborate, please.

Frank isn't going anywhere and I doubt Ron would take an FCS head job at this point. if he would, he would be an outstanding hire for Lamar.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Frank isn't going anywhere and I doubt Ron would take an FCS head job at this point. if he would, he would be an outstanding hire for Lamar.

I am curious why you are so sure. Lamar can throw a lot of refinery money at him.

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 02:09 PM
I am curious why you are so sure. Lamar can throw a lot of refinery money at him.

For starters, I know he likes it here and doesn't want to leave. I suppose if we fail to make a good faith effort to improve salary and pool for assistants, anything is possible, but I don't anticipate that happening.

Puddin Tane
December 5th, 2022, 02:25 PM
Id be surprised if he left

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 07:18 PM
Frank Scelfo just announced on his weekly radio show that he is staying, which I knew was the case. Now to finish up recruiting and on to 2023.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2022, 07:19 PM
Frank Scelfo just announced on his weekly radio show that he is staying, which I knew was the case. Now to finish up recruiting and on to 2023.

Congrats. He is a good coach.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2022, 08:06 PM

Guess who wants RJ Martinez?

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Guess who wants RJ Martinez?
We did offer

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2022, 08:50 PM
We did offer

Yep, he should get a lot of offers

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2022, 09:28 PM
Yep, he should get a lot of offers
I’m sure he will. The good ones do.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2022, 05:26 AM
I’m sure he will. The good ones do.

Eli Sawyer hanging around?

lionsrking2
December 6th, 2022, 08:10 AM
Absolutely

LionUp
December 6th, 2022, 09:06 AM

For sure. If Scelfo had of left, I could’ve seen him follow him or go, but not with Frank staying. He’s next up with Tisdale. They’re the guys to beat for whichever QBs come in during recruitment and portal pick-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2022, 11:15 AM
For sure. If Scelfo had of left, I could’ve seen him follow him or go, but not with Frank staying. He’s next up with Tisdale. They’re the guys to beat for whichever QBs come in during recruitment and portal pick-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good, better chance of RJ Martinez coming to Delaware