PDA

View Full Version : It's kind of sad...

woffordgrad94
October 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
I just don't understand why it is that so many people feel the need to absolutely HAVE to ALWAYS be supporting teams that are currently winning and can't stick to being a fan of one team in a sport. Me, I have been a fan of Wofford, the Carolina Panthers, the Atlanta Braves, and my high school team (Dorman, in case anyone cares) all my life through both thick and thin, and that will never change. I rooted for the Terriers in 1987 when they were 1-10 and maybe scored 4-5 TDs all year and got shut-out by a Davidson team that hadn't won in ages. Yet I look around here in Spartanburg and see people wearing New England Patriots jerseys. Funny, I never saw that when New England sucked. I know a lot of us posters here are passionate fans of a particular FCS school and have supported it no matter what, which is why I fully expect to get a lot of support here in my stance on this subject, but you have to admit that even here, teams that are doing better get more posters. Is being a winner THAT important to people? Do they think that if they support a loser, that they, by extention, are a loser? Well, they have it all ass-backwards. Someone who jumps ship and can't stay with a team in tough times is a quitter, and by extension, a loser.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I just don't understand why it is that so many people feel the need to absolutely HAVE to ALWAYS be supporting teams that are currently winning and can't stick to being a fan of one team in a sport. Me, I have been a fan of Wofford, the Carolina Panthers, the Atlanta Braves, and my high school team (Dorman, in case anyone cares) all my life through both thick and thin, and that will never change. I rooted for the Terriers in 1987 when they were 1-10 and maybe scored 4-5 TDs all year and got shut-out by a Davidson team that hadn't won in ages. Yet I look around here in Spartanburg and see people wearing New England Patriots jerseys. Funny, I never saw that when New England sucked. I know a lot of us posters here are passionate fans of a particular FCS school and have supported it no matter what, which is why I fully expect to get a lot of support here in my stance on this subject, but you have to admit that even here, teams that are doing better get more posters. Is being a winner THAT important to people? Do they think that if they support a loser, that they, by extention, are a loser? Well, they have it all ass-backwards. Someone who jumps ship and can't stay with a team in tough times is a quitter, and by extension, a loser.

I agree. We had quite a few people "jump ship" last year when all h3ll broke loose. Canceled their season tickets of 20+ years, swore up and down they were never coming back, extreme stuff like that. Funny I think they came back this year. xnutsx

bobbythekidd
October 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Is being a winner THAT important to people?
YEP. We just happen to have had a good run.

I'm kidding. Winning, does make it easier. To jump ship when things go wrong is weak and inexcusable.

Coastal-Effect
October 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
that's what you call BANDWAGON FANS.xbandwagonx xpopcornx xbandwagonx xpopcornx.

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM

I have been a Bengals and Reds fan since I was 5. Tell me about tough times!

APPride
October 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just don't understand why it is that so many people feel the need to absolutely HAVE to ALWAYS be supporting teams that are currently winning and can't stick to being a fan of one team in a sport. Me, I have been a fan of Wofford, the Carolina Panthers, the Atlanta Braves, and my high school team (Dorman, in case anyone cares) all my life through both thick and thin, and that will never change. I rooted for the Terriers in 1987 when they were 1-10 and maybe scored 4-5 TDs all year and got shut-out by a Davidson team that hadn't won in ages. Yet I look around here in Spartanburg and see people wearing New England Patriots jerseys. Funny, I never saw that when New England sucked.

When we went to the preseason Panthers/Patriots game in Charlotte 50% of the crowd was 4 the Patriots! (kinda like the FU/APP game this past weekend)

appstate38
October 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
YEP. We just happen to have had a good run.

I'm kidding. Winning, does make it easier. To jump ship when things go wrong is weak and inexcusable.

You mean like those fans who leave a game early because their "team" is down by, say 18 points, only to miss a furious rally and then fall short by 3 points. You mean people like that, RIGHT?xspankx

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM

I totally agree. On the same point, at ASU's first home game (LRC), my family and I got there so early to tailgate, I had a chance to walk up to the bookstore on the other side of campus. When I was an undergrad at ASU (1979 - 1983) if one walked around campus one could see NUMEROUS other schools' t-shirts or caps: UNC, NC State, Duke, etc. Some ASU stuff, but not exclusively ASU stuff. Well, on that Saturday, the ONLY attire I saw was ASU stuff. Remarkable. And, man it felt great to see that!

Would I have seen that if last year's football team was 3 - 8? Heck, no - even if we had beaten Mich. anyway.

Are these "fair weather" fans bad folks with a character flaw? Probably not. But it sure feels better to this long-time ASU fan for my team to be doing well. I don't care what anybody says, it sure is more enjoyable to win. A few weeks ago when we lost to GaSo, I woke up Sunday morning still fretting about that loss. Maybe I am taking this stuff too seriously - and that's my character flaw. OK, fine.

I'm still hoping and praying for a 3rd NC! Might as well be this year.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM
You mean like those fans who leave a game early because their "team" is down by, say 18 points, only to miss a furious rally and then fall short by 3 points. You mean people like that, RIGHT?xspankx

Yep. Those were the ones that came to my mind first. They are the kind that have no affiliation, no connection, don't donate money, the first to jump ship, and the first to sing your praises when they win.

catamount man
October 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Chicago Bears and WCU Catamounts. I can tell you all SOMETHING about pain!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bobbythekidd
October 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM
You mean like those fans who leave a game early because their "team" is down by, say 18 points, only to miss a furious rally and then fall short by 3 points. You mean people like that, RIGHT?xspankxYEP, those guys missed a hell of a game in Boone 2 weeks ago.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm a Seahawks fan (pre 2005). Tell me about it; I go through heartbreak every damn season! Oh, ***** the Steelers by the way. Just thought I'd reiterate.xnonono2x

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
Chicago Bears and WCU Catamounts. I can tell you all SOMETHING about pain!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

A lot of us GSU fans pull for the bears purely for the fact that Adrian Peterson (the real one) plays for them.

boonegoon
October 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
As a born and raised in Boone App fan, it is nice to watch your team rise and fall through the years. From sitting in your car because the house radio couldn't get the game and listening to App lose in overtime to Montana to sitting in the stands in Nooga two straight years. Nothing beats that feeling. Also, there is nothing worse than seeing 1/3 of the fans leave a home game.

UMass922
October 31st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Eh, I'm not terribly bothered by bandwagon/fairweather fans. It's one thing maybe if such fans pretend to be die-hard/long-suffering etc. fans, but other than that, the more the merrier, I say. It's natural for some non-fans and casual fans to start paying more attention when a team gets good. People like teams that are good because they're enjoyable to watch. Some get hooked and become fans for life no matter what happens next, while others get bored and move on to the next hot team. I just accept it as part of life. Personally, I'm not a Celtics fan (haven't been since the Reggie Lewis era), but I guarantee you I'll be rooting for them and watching more of their games this year (for reasons you can probably guess). Will that make me a bandwagon/fairweather fan? Absolutely. Will I claim to be otherwise? No.

APPride
October 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
As a born and raised in Boone App fan, it is nice to watch your team rise and fall through the years. From sitting in your car because the house radio couldn't get the game and listening to App lose in overtime to Montana to sitting in the stands in Nooga two straight years. Nothing beats that feeling. Also, there is nothing worse than seeing 1/3 of the fans leave a home game.

Can you believe we used to have to do that? Times sure have changed...

GRZZ
October 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM

This is best illustrated by the "life-long" Red Sox fans who have been fans for their whole life since 2004.xrotatehx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
This is best illustrated by the "life-long" Red Sox fans who have been fans for their whole life since 2004.xrotatehx

Oh no, there were lots of Red Sox fans back in the 70's and 80's....its just that no one paid any attention to us.xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2007, 07:34 PM
There is a major difference between people who change teams and those who offer less support in lean years. Changing teams is a mortal sin, while if your team is terrible you cant turn your back, but its ok to not care as much. I am a lifelong Philly pro sports fan and will always follow all teams. I also follow Lafayette and Penn State in college football. Right now the sixers are terrible so I will watch few of there games, but I wont start rooting for the celtics. That is the big difference.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM
At this level everyone seems to stick with the same squad. In the pros is were I see people jumping around.

813Jag
October 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
I think it's all in where you grew up. I've been a Southern fan since I knew what a football was. I'm talking 3-8 seasons, getting shutout at Jackson State every other year to winning the SWAC. I've also been a Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember, to put it bluntly the Saints sucked when I was growing up and I loved Tony Dorsett. I don't mind bandwagon fans because when I'm at a game I don't worry about them. I'm gonna yell for my team regardless because I know what hard times are. That's there loss if they want to leave a game early.
But is it someone's fault if the team they like is usually a winner? They have no control over that.

ButlerGSU
October 31st, 2007, 08:02 PM

I think that's exactly what they are talking about.

jonmac
October 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Well, being a North Carolina resident I chose to start pulling for the Panthers because they are my "home team". They, of course weren't around when I was young and chose to be a Dolphin. I loved the Dolphins during the Greise then Marino years. Then the Great Don Shula retired and the Dolphins have not been the same since. Not just because they haven't won but mainly due to ownership change. I am not really a fan anymore, but I feel like they left me, I didn't leave them. I just said this to say there are sometimes reasons to change teams that don't just have to do with wins/losses. I do, however, agree with the main point of this thread.

TheBisonator
October 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Vikings fan for 20+ years.

Timberwolves fan for almost 20 years.

My favourite NHL team left Winnipeg 11 years ago.

You wanna talk about heartbreak??

UNH SUPERFAN
October 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
What I found sad and truly amazing this season was talking to a member of the UNH athletic department who said that the reason only 7115 fans showed up to the UNH - Delaware game was that UNH lost to Richmond the week before!! How shallow is that!! You lose a game on the road to a very tough opponent and now you can't support the team? I love all that has happened with UNH football over the past 3-4 years but the lack of fan support and the lack of excitement in New Hampshire for UNH football has me baffled!!

LeopardFan04
October 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM
I remember being in like 7th grade, and wearing my Phillies hat to school. Someone laughed and asked me on the bus why I cheered for them. I had no idea how to answer. I grew up outside Philadelphia. Who else would I cheer for? And of course all of the Cowboys hats/jackets are reappearing for the first time since the 90s...I don't know how someone could grow up outside Philly and cheer for the their biggest rival. I've asked a few. The answer: "The Eagles are losers." Oh, okay.

blur2005
October 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
The only teams I've cheered for that have been losers have been my college teams, JMU and UVA. The Braves and Steelers have been strong franchises throughout most of my lifetime and definitely since I adopted them as two of my favorite teams when I was like five years old. I will admit that I might have slipped away from JMU if it hadn't been for 2004, mainly because JMU football no longer permeated things for me as it had when I was younger and my family had season tickets. But the 2004 season is the reason I've been here since October of that year and maybe because of this site I'll never lose interest, no matter how poorly the Dukes do. I'd say I'm set to never lose interest in UVA, considering I attend school there and have been a Cavs fan since I first started watching college football.

McNeese_beat
October 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM
I always found myself following teams I'm connected to: alma mater, state and civic teams. Over the years living two hours from Houston, I've followed the Rockets and Astros. However, I live in Louisiana, so I follow the Saints.

HOWEVER, by and large, my loyalties only go so far as whoever I think deserves my loyalties. I greatly admire the professionalism of the San Antonio Spurs, so I pull for them. Same with the Patriots and the Oakland Athletics. I admire them, but it's because of how they go about their business much more than it's about the logo on their helmet or the name on the chest.

The kind of undying loyalty many on here associate with fandom only goes to teams I feel a vested interest in, like an alma mater.

UMass922
October 31st, 2007, 11:55 PM
What I found sad and truly amazing this season was talking to a member of the UNH athletic department who said that the reason only 7115 fans showed up to the UNH - Delaware game was that UNH lost to Richmond the week before!! How shallow is that!! You lose a game on the road to a very tough opponent and now you can't support the team? I love all that has happened with UNH football over the past 3-4 years but the lack of fan support and the lack of excitement in New Hampshire for UNH football has me baffled!!

I don't think there's much to be baffled about. The lamentable fact is that football--especially college football--is basically a niche sport in New England. Most of the fans are fairweather at best--in both senses of the word. I'm not sure what it would take to change that. There's probably not much to be done. Just a cultural thing, I guess.

UMass922
October 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
The kind of undying loyalty many on here associate with fandom only goes to teams I feel a vested interest in, like an alma mater.

Well said. It's very difficult to feel that kind of devotion/loyalty to a pro team, unless perhaps one latched on at a very early age.

Walkon79
November 1st, 2007, 12:00 AM
I'm a Bobcat, and have been all my 47 years. Been a 49'er fan since I was 21. (Drafted Ronny Lott that year). Been a Laker fan for as long as I can remember. All my teams suck right now, and have for awhile. No one can call me a bandwagon!!

Walkon79
November 1st, 2007, 12:01 AM
Don't give a rip about baseball or hockey!!

GoAgs72
November 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm a life-long UC Davis fan - well at least for the last 38 years. We've had some bad years (like this one) but mostly good ones, but I've always been a supporter. I'm more of a fair weather fan of the SF 49'ers. They've just had too many bad years since Joe Montana and Steve Young so I've adopted my wife's team - the Seattle Seahawks.

Walkon79
November 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM

Actually best illustrated by most Griz fans under 25 years old!! Remeber the 60's and 70's? Thought not.

Petrie Dish
November 1st, 2007, 12:09 AM
Vikings and Cubs fan.

I'm an idiot.

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 12:20 AM

Bad Radio Coverage - We recently switched stations with VA Tech and now 1/2 the radios I try can't get the signal...Thanks for reminding me that the car is the only reliable signal now...

Band Wagon Fans - I think new fans are great but those that only come to games when we are winning, or because of the opponent, or some special event and then takeover the parking lot, tell us what's wrong with the stadium, and act like they are gracing us with their presence can be irritating.

I have one friend I hate to watch sports with because he has no connection to any team, so he roots for whoever is favored and then switches teams in the middle of the game if they get behind. Arggh!

ElonFirefighter
November 1st, 2007, 12:38 AM

always will be a panther fan, a phoenix, a brave and will come at you with a force of a hurricane. If you cut me i will bleed Maroon. i will cheer no matter the record. A true fan stands behind there team in the pouring rain to watch the full game in a 57-7 blow out as a visitor 4 hours from home(1 away game attended as a fresh) all fans need to know 1 thing as in life sports follow a circle. you have your ups and downs but as long as you keep moving in the same direction you will be back on top.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Tough life for 49er fans. xbawlingx

Then again, my dad's a Vikings fan, and he's had it worse for years. xlolx

drpnut
November 1st, 2007, 05:20 AM
I'm a Wofford guy through and through. I was in the stands with about 1,000 people when we lost homecoming to DAvidson and went 1-10 that year. I've watched my boys go from NAIA, NCAAII, and Now I-AA and in the SoCon. I love the games and stay to the bitter end. And now that we have put together a decent/good six year history I feel like all of perevious years were well worth it.

I'm also a SoCon guy! When the playoffs happen I'm pulling for the SoCon guys. Of course during the year I like to talk smack like everybody else, but I feel safe in saying the true fans of SoCon stick together come playoff season. That's what makes us a family.

My heart went out to GaSouth folks last year, and I feel it for WCU and Chatty folks. And maybe things will turn around soon. True fans never leave their team. Come "hell or highwater" we stick!

Peace

dungeonjoe
November 1st, 2007, 05:23 AM
I'm a Wofford guy through and through. I was in the stands with about 1,000 people when we lost homecoming to DAvidson and went 1-10 that year. I've watched my boys go from NAIA, NCAAII, and Now I-AA and in the SoCon. I love the games and stay to the bitter end. And now that we have put together a decent/good six year history I feel like all of perevious years were well worth it.

I'm also a SoCon guy! When the playoffs happen I'm pulling for the SoCon guys. Of course during the year I like to talk smack like everybody else, but I feel safe in saying the true fans of SoCon stick together come playoff season. That's what makes us a family.

My heart went out to GaSouth folks last year, and I feel it for WCU and Chatty folks. And maybe things will turn around soon. True fans never leave their team. Come "hell or highwater" we stick!

Peace

Well then, Mr. Hell-or Highwater, I hope to see you later today in Columbia and on Saturday at the game!

813Jag
November 1st, 2007, 06:42 AM
Actually best illustrated by most Griz fans under 25 years old!! Remeber the 60's and 70's? Thought not.
So you're saying that if somebody is only 20 years old they can't be a true fan of a team. If I wasn't around in the 60's or 70's when my team was winning, that's my fault? Age dictates fandom? xconfusedx

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm a life-long UC Davis fan - well at least for the last 38 years. We've had some bad years (like this one) but mostly good ones, but I've always been a supporter. I'm more of a fair weather fan of the SF 49'ers. They've just had too many bad years since Joe Montana and Steve Young so I've adopted my wife's team - the Seattle Seahawks.

NO switching teams, this is a classic example xnonox Abondon your guys when there down, they were 10-6 in like 2002.

813Jag
November 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM
always will be a panther fan, a phoenix, a brave and will come at you with a force of a hurricane. If you cut me i will bleed Maroon. i will cheer no matter the record. A true fan stands behind there team in the pouring rain to watch the full game in a 57-7 blow out as a visitor 4 hours from home(1 away game attended as a fresh) all fans need to know 1 thing as in life sports follow a circle. you have your ups and downs but as long as you keep moving in the same direction you will be back on top.
I know the feeling I've sat in the rain and cold even when I know my team didn't have a chance. Before I got married and moved to Tampa, I never missed more than one game per season. I even travel to Dallas from time to time to catch a Cowboys game.

RadMann
November 1st, 2007, 06:58 AM
I have been an Orioles fan since I was a little kid. The tough part has been the withdrawl. They were the winningest franchise in baseball for basically the entire time I was growing up, but in the last decade+ they have fallen a lot. Now that is withdrawl, but I'd never change allegiance.

BEAR
November 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM
I've been a Celtics fan since I was a child. Those no good.xmadx ..lured me in with Larry Bird and the gang.xthumbsupx ..then 20 years later decide they want to play basketball again....If I had known that no effort on their part was to be taken in winning a title in 20 years...I would have followed the....no...I still would have followed the Celts...I guess some things just are what they are..xmadx xlolx

ysubigred
November 1st, 2007, 07:28 AM
xshakingmadx Good thing I'm not suicidal: Pittsburgh Pirates, Miami Dolphins and of course YSU fan xbawlingx

HensRock
November 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM
I think it is not only aa question of where you live, but what teams were good in your formitive years. Think back to when you first started watching NFL football. There are a LOT of middle-aged men that are now Cowboys and Steelers fans. Well, these were very dominant teams in the 70's. I think what you are seeing now with the Red Sox and Patriots are a bunch of young fans in their formitive years, latching on to these dominant teams. They will be fans for years to come. When things don't go so well, they crawl under a rock a little bit. They don't wear the apparel and the cap quite so much. When the team does well, they seem to come out of the woodwork.

I really think it's just a noticing falacy. It's not like you see the same guy wear a Patriots jersey one year and a Seahawks jersey the next. You see a guy guy "A" wear his Patriot jersey one year and then put it away and you see a guy "B" break out his Seahawks jersey after not wearing it the previous year.

bandl
November 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM
I'm a Skins fan, an O's fan (Nat's come second), and a Bullets fan. Enough said. :)

xbawlingx

At least I have JMU. xnodx xeyebrowx

UNHWILDCATS05
November 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM
I have been a diehard "any Boston sports team" (except BC) fan since I can recall - However, I came across a very interesting situation a couple weeks ago... Myself and a group of buddies were in NYC for the weekend, we had taken my best friend there for his bachelor party (Hofstra game on Sat. afternoon, NYC at night) and we were hanging out at a small bar friday night. Four out of the seven of us were wearing Red Sox hats. The bartendar looked at our hats and said he didn't mind us, as Red Sox fans, being there but just had one question: "Were we really from Boston"... our answer was an immediate "of course", but it really got me thinking about where the Red Sox have come as a team since 2004 - I never once thought they would be "that bandwagon team", that people supported even if they weren't from, or had some connection to, this area. It is crazy to me to root for any teams but my hometown teams, but maybe that is just the environment I was razed in (Contrast with Lebron James and his Yankee hat)... Bill Simmons wrote a great article about this and the rules on who it is ok to root for, I can't find it right now but if anyone has that link, it would be a great fit for this thread.

ChickenMan
November 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM
that's what you call BANDWAGON FANS.xbandwagonx xpopcornx xbandwagonx xpopcornx.

or Dallas Cowboy fans........ :p

813Jag
November 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM
or Dallas Cowboy fans........ :p
Unless your talking about people that just started following them this year. There wasn't much to bandwagon from 97 to the present. xlolx

Bulldog87
November 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
I've been a Braves fans since attending my first game on Batting Helmet day as a kid in 69 or 70. There were plenty of lean years but I've never rooted for anyone else. I've been through a 1-15 season with my Cowboys and I haven't turned on them yet. Sadly enough Ive bashed dome stadiums as ssiyfied football for years and now here we go getting a retractible roof. My Dad played football and other sports at SC State with Deacon Jones in the 50's so ther was nothing else but Bulldog sports for me since birth. The only team I've ever let go is the Philadephia 76ers. As a kid from the Dr.J era the suxers were the team of most of us that lived in an area without pro sports. When they foolishly got rid of Barkley I let them go. I root for the Bobcats now since they are the regional team here. I hate bandwagon fans.

813Jag
November 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM
I've been a Braves fans since attending my first game on Batting Helmet day as a kid in 69 or 70. There were plenty of lean years but I've never rooted for anyone else. I've been through a 1-15 season with my Cowboys and I haven't turned on them yet. Sadly enough Ive bashed dome stadiums as ssiyfied football for years and now here we go getting a retractible roof. My Dad played football and other sports at SC State with Deacon Jones in the 50's so ther was nothing else but Bulldog sports for me since birth. The only team I've ever let go is the Philadephia 76ers. As a kid from the Dr.J era the suxers were the team of most of us that lived in an area without pro sports. When they foolishly got rid of Barkley I let them go. I root for the Bobcats now since they are the regional team here. I hate bandwagon fans.
Texas Stadium is nothing but a dome with a big hole in it. xlolx I sat at a game in the rain and never got wet. xlolx

DrG
November 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
You don't have to tell us about bandwagon fans. Our Mullins Center was packed for UMass basketball games from 93-96, for obvious reasons. A few years later, you couldn't give tickets away.

Bulldog87
November 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Texas Stadium is nothing but a dome with a big hole in it. xlolx I sat at a game in the rain and never got wet. xlolxI feel you but that Thanksgiving Snow/Sleet game that Leon Lett screwed up was real classic football. Now the NFL will make them close the roof if the temps are below 38 degrees. Keeping the fans dry is one thing. The players should face the elements just like the days of the "Ice Bowl" or the Gale Sayers 6 TD day in the Wrigley field mud. xnodx

813Jag
November 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
I feel you but that Thanksgiving Snow/Sleet game that Leon Lett screwed up was real classic football. Now the NFL will make them close the roof if the temps are below 38 degrees. Keeping the fans dry is one thing. The players should face the elements just like the days of the "Ice Bowl" or the Gale Sayers 6 TD day in the Wrigley field mud. xnodx
I wish they had a roof to close that day. Everybody in my house laughed at me about that game. xlolx

ngineer
November 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
You'll always have front-runner fans. It's human nature. As reflected in other aspects of society, when the going get tough, they toss their object aside and go somewhere else. Pour moi, I've been a Phillies die-hard since 1957...'nuf said.;)

Philly Phoenix Phan
November 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'll make my first post on something near and dear to my heart - heartbreak. I was born in Philadelphia in 1984, and the last time a pro team won in this city was 1983, I've never seen the parade down broad street. I rooted for penn state and they gave the national championship to nebraska in 94. F'in Joe Carter ruined my childhood. My best moments were watching a mediocre eagles team shock the cowboys during their super bowl years. Scott Stevens concussed eric lindros, allen iverson pulled out one win against shaq and kobe, and those aforementioned eagles got their signs stolen in the super bowl. also went to Elon and watched the dynamic Paul Hamilton years... Ive never seen the draw play used in so many creative, ineffective ways! its like the defense knew it was coming!!! of course, his kid couldnt throw the ball, but i digress. In any case, im still die hard Philly and Elon, no matter what and no excuses. Oh yea, and i hate to admit this, but one of my best friends grew up around me, roots for the braves, cowboys, the michael jordan bulls, then jumped to the sixers, and then he went to duke. Hes a terrible person.

CCUCheer
November 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I have lived in a couple different States in New England for my whole life up until I came down south for college. So I grew up going to Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruin games (Never was a big NBA fan). So no bandwagon girl here.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
There is a major difference between people who change teams and those who offer less support in lean years. Changing teams is a mortal sin, while if your team is terrible you cant turn your back, but its ok to not care as much. I am a lifelong Philly pro sports fan and will always follow all teams. I also follow Lafayette and Penn State in college football. Right now the sixers are terrible so I will watch few of there games, but I wont start rooting for the celtics. That is the big difference.

Amen, with an asterisk. As a Philllies fan, I feel your pain, and have felt it since '64. But did I ever say I HATE PENN?:p

Franks Tanks
November 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM
Amen, with an asterisk. As a Philllies fan, I feel your pain, and have felt it since '64. But did I ever say I HATE PENN?:p

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hating Penn, Damm they are annoying.

LeopardFan04
November 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM

If hating Penn is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

JoltinJoe
November 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
I always rooted for Fordham football but I gave it up this year.

GolfingGriz
November 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Obviously the Griz and im not old enough to even have a chance to test my fanhood, but there is no doubt if i had a chance. The Rams winning the superbowl 8 years ago was great, but I didn't have the full extent of the losing that my dad did. The Sabres have been good lately, but getting deep into the playoffs and losing is worse than never getting to the playoffs. Finally the Orioles, I know nothing but losing with the exception of 96 and 97, and it doesn't seem like it will get better anytime soon. The great thing about following a team is that when they finally do pull through and reach the pinnacle it means that much more.
BTW, great topic.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
I've seen an AWFUL lot of shiny new Red Sox hats around here since 04. I'm sure some of them are legitimate fans, but there is no way all of these people have been rooting for a historically bad team that's on the other side of the country. I fully expect to see a resurgence of pretty new hats this spring.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Red Sox nation?

placidlakegriz
November 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM

Brilliant, how is someone who wasn’t born yet, suppose to remember the 60's and 70's?????

UNHWILDCATS05
November 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
I've seen an AWFUL lot of shiny new Red Sox hats around here since 04. I'm sure some of them are legitimate fans, but there is no way all of these people have been rooting for a historically bad team that's on the other side of the country. I fully expect to see a resurgence of pretty new hats this spring.

Have I mentioned how much I hate Red Sox nation?

I agree that their current World Series success has created new bandwagon fans, but they have only had 6 losing seasons since 1967, so I don't think you can say they were historically bad... and also, a lot of Red Sox fans are developed because of the vast number of schools that are in Boston - kids come to Boston, follow the Red Sox, and go home to continue being Red Sox fans. But like I said, I do agree with you about the bandwagon fans increasing, same goes with the Patriots.

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
NO switching teams, this is a classic example xnonox Abondon your guys when there down, they were 10-6 in like 2002.
I switched NFL teams when we finally got one "locally". I dropped the Vikings and embraced the Panthers from day 1. Switching can be done under certain circumstances. xnodx

Oh, also switched from the Capitols to the Hurricanes in the 'Canes first season too. xthumbsupx

UNHWILDCATS05
November 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
I switched NFL teams when we finally got one "locally". I dropped the Vikings and embraced the Panthers from day 1. Switching can be done under certain circumstances. xnodx

Oh, also switched from the Capitols to the Hurricanes in the 'Canes first season too. xthumbsupx

That is totally a good reason to switch. xthumbsupx

UMass922
November 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM

Sigh. The former Hartford Whalers. (I wasn't a die-hard fan, but they were a lot of fun to have around.)

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Sigh. The former Hartford Whalers. (I wasn't a die-hard fan, but they were a lot of fun to have around.)
Thanks for letting them get away. We really enjoyed the Stanley Cup last season. xthumbsupx

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Right there with ya.

Give us a baseball team and bye bye Braves.

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Right there with ya.

Give us a baseball team and bye bye Braves.
I've got the Bulls so I don't really need a MLB team. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Take a look at my football teams...

NFL: Minnesota Vikings
FCS: Portland State Vikings
local High School: Forest Grove Vikings

Can I wear the horns now?

Changing teams and heartbreak, huh? When I moved to Portland, I have to say I was not the PSU fan I am now, but I was a fan of the Big Sky conference as a whole and PSU was the "new guy" in the conference. Watching the conference opponents as they came through Portland actually showed me how good the PSU teams were and I had begun to cheer for PSU, silently at first, then strong as any fan would. I didn't really change teams as much as I started to concentrate on one team within the conference.

Other teams, I've always followed the Twins, even back in the seventies when they had Carew and basically that was it. It was fun watching Puckett and Hrbek come up through the system and win the World Series. Basketball, I was a Nugget fan until I moved to Portland and, after going to a few Blazer games, I changed over and became a Blazer fan. Hockey a little different. My team a while back was the North Stars. Then they moved to the hated Dallas area (hated anything Dallas since Drew Pearson pushed off Nate Wright in the playoffs and the refs let it stand). The girlfriend at the time was from Calgary and she would get me tickets to the Flames whenever I went for a visit. Consequently I changed, but not because I wanted to, but because I had to (you know what I mean).

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
I've got the Bulls so I don't really need a MLB team. xthumbsupx

Ehh, in Lynchburg I have the Hillcats, at home the Warthogs. Both are Single A. Fun to go to, just couldn't care less how they do.

lizrdgizrd
November 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Ehh, in Lynchburg I have the Hillcats, at home the Warthogs. Both are Single A. Fun to go to, just couldn't care less how they do.
Fortunately the Durham Bulls are typically a good team so I can enjoy them and watch their success! :D