PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week Whatever

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
This week's picks are all games where both teams involved are still in the playoff hunt. If you think a different game should be game of the week... TOUGH, post your own poll. :p

Spoke
October 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
If HC beats out Fordham for the PL AQ, Fordham has no shot at an at-large. If Fordham beats HC, HC needs to win out and hope that an 8-3 record with a win over Harvard gets them in at-large: probably not going to happen. This game is a do-or-die for both teams.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM
JMU/UD

I hope they do a good jub of giving out of town scores at the game this week.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2007, 01:04 PM
This week's picks are all games where both teams involved are still in the playoff hunt. If you think a different game should be game of the week... TOUGH, post your own poll. :p

NAU is still in the playoff hunt? xlolx xwhistlex

UMass922
Holy Cross @ Fordham

mlbowl
A toss up between JMU @ Delaware, GSU @ Wofford and ASU @ The Citadel xnodx ...but my vote went to GSU @ Wofford

crusader11
October 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Looking forward to a potenital rematch with UMASS.

putter
October 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM
I went with GSU/Wofford although it was difficult to pick one game.

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 01:07 PM
If HC beats out Fordham for the PL AQ, Fordham has no shot at an at-large. If Fordham beats HC, HC needs to win out and hope that an 8-3 record with a win over Harvard gets them in at-large: probably not going to happen. This game is a do-or-die for both teams.
Exactly why I picked it. The FU/HC and MSU/NAU losers are officially done.

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Somebody told me yesterday they can technically win the auto. xeyebrowx

RE/MAXGriz
GSU/Wofford, could be a shootout, two fun offenses.

89Hen
GSU/Wofford, could be a shootout, two fun offenses.
xeyebrowx If you like running. xsmiley_wix

DunkandDukin
October 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM
The Richmond - Nova game should be a good one, too.

course I went with JMU- Ud. But boooo 12:00 kick-off...

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'd like to see GSU win just to see the Wofford crowd start up the we might get woofed whine again.:D If ASU does not come to play we will be cAPPed out as the other thre will probably make the field.

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
xeyebrowx If you like running. xsmiley_wixIn circles.xrotatehx

GannonFan
October 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
All else being equal I went with the UD/JMU game - just a lot of good games this week, can't really go wrong with a pick.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Holy Cross at Fordham is the biggest one for shaping the playoff picture. GSU-Wofford is also, but not as much.

As far as "clash of the titans" type games go, JMU and Delaware is the game of the week. Both are among the best 10 teams or so teams that I think all have about an equal chance to win the NC.

If you like offense (and I think most people do like it) GSU-Wofford is the best. Two of the best FCS rushing offenses are going to clash.

Hard to pick, but I think I'll go with HC-FU.

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm curious to see how the Blue Hens handle this game. They fell asleep at the end of the Navy game and almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. This may mean they're talented but undisciplined.

JMU 28
UD 21

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'm curious to see how the Blue Hens handle this game. They fell asleep at the end of the Navy game and almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. This may mean they're talented but undisciplined.
xconfusedx They couldn't stop Navy all game... how was the end different?

RAMS83
October 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Fordham- Holy Cross.

Fordham will earn the auto-bid in a wild west shootout this weekend behind 6'5 220 soph. QB John "El Passo" Skelton (El Paso, TX). With 10-12k rowdy fans cheering on the Rams.. they get it done.

FU 42
HC 34

TheValleyRaider
October 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM
So where's the "Whatever game my team is playing in" option? xconfusedx xsmiley_wix

I'll take Holy Cross - Fordham. Winner gets at least a share of the Patriot League crown, and Fordham winning would give them the Autobid with 2 weeks to spare. Two good offenses as well, should be a barnburner.

JMU-Delaware is probably my #2

appstate38
October 31st, 2007, 01:40 PM

Ok First of all, OUCH! on your pic!
second all these games bring their own importance because they are all looking to get to the second season and winning this weekend gets you one step closer. Can't say one is larger than any of the others. But if I must pick one, I will go with the NAU/MSU game. Wanted to show some love to the Big Sky boys!

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Brown at Yale.xcoolx

Ronin
October 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM

Love the photo...

DOME
October 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
I voted Wof/GSU but right after I clicked it I wished I would've voted for WIU/SIU. Instate and Inconference and DIRECTIONAL rivalry! That and WIU could possibly make some noise in the afterlife. Also I like it when SIU gets tested...

Go...gate
October 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
A tie - Holy Cross vs. Fordham/JMU vs. UD

WWII
October 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM
I really couldn't pick, too many great games.

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
A tie - Holy Cross vs. Fordham/JMU vs. UD

The homer hens had not voted yet.;)

blukeys
October 31st, 2007, 10:26 PM
The homer hens had not voted yet.;)

No homer JMU fans. You underestimate the Dookies!!!!xnodx

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Finally get a chance to see who is tougher in the CAA. Not enough of the upper echelon playing each other yet.

Just the creampuff doormat section so far.:D

th0m
November 1st, 2007, 06:07 AM
Homer vote for me here.

GSUhooligan
November 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM
JMU/UD

I hope they do a good jub of giving out of town scores at the game this week.

You can text GOOGLE (I don't have my phone in front of me, but the number corresponds with the word GOOGLE, 466452 maybe?) and put the team name in the message section and they'll send you a score update right away.

OhioHen
November 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM
Several elimination games (for those teams, it's already win or you're done) but had to go with the homer pick. Major implications for both teams and (potentially) for many others not involved in the game.

If JMU wins, their playoff hopes are bolstered. If they lose, they're on the ropes.

UD stays in the running for a seed with a win, no shot with a loss.

Saluki_man
November 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Its gotta be JMU@UD. JMU needs their mojo back, and UD needs to get this to have any shot at the automatic bid. My perdiction is still JMU 21 UD 17

89Hen
November 1st, 2007, 09:08 AM
UD needs to get this to have any shot at the automatic bid.
Not sure we can get it anyway. IF the Hens were to win out (unlikely) and UMass were to lose to UNH, I have no idea how the tiebreaker would work. Both teams would have lost to UNH so they'd have no difference in common opponents which is the first tiebreaker after head to head (which doesn't come in to play this year). xrotatehx

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM
Not sure we can get it anyway. IF the Hens were to win out (unlikely) and UMass were to lose to UNH, I have no idea how the tiebreaker would work. Both teams would have lost to UNH so they'd have no difference in common opponents which is the first tiebreaker after head to head (which doesn't come in to play this year). xrotatehx

Yeah, but wouldn't UD get the AQ over UMass by virtue of being 10-1/win over a I-A vs 9-2 for UMass/loss to a I-A?

I think it will only be one 10-1 from the CAA, if any. A 10-1 from the CAA will get one of the 4 seeds. Delaware goes 10-1 they'd be in the top 3-4 unless Umass also went 10-1. I HIGHLY doubt both will.

But what if this, both went 10-1, UD got the AQ but Umass got a seed and UD didn't?

All pointless seculatin with 3 games left for everyone.

89Hen
November 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't UD get the AQ over UMass by virtue of being 10-1/win over a I-A vs 9-2 for UMass/loss to a I-A?
Not AFAIK. I think only conference games enter into the tiebreaker. I will have to look it up again. BRB.

89Hen
November 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM
But what if this, both went 10-1, UD got the AQ but Umass got a seed and UD didn't?
That can't happen. If UMass goes 10-1 that means they are 8-0 CAA and the auto. It could be the other way though... UMass gets the auto and UD gets the seed. :p

89Hen
November 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM
OK, found the A10 tiebreaker and I'm going to assume the CAA adopted the same one (BTW, I was incorrect on games outside of the CAA counting) :o ...

TIE OUTSIDE DIVISION
1. Head-to-head competition. DIDN'T PLAY

2. Combined winning percentage versus all common Atlantic 10
opponents. SAME

3. Should a tie remain, one (1) point will be awarded for a victory versus
a I-AA opponent from the following conferences: Big Sky, Big
South, Gateway, Ivy, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley, Patriot,
Southern, Southland, Southwestern Athletic, and current independents;
one-half (0.5) point will be awarded for a victory versus a I-AA opponent
from the following conferences: Metro Atlantic, Northeast, and
Pioneer; and two (2) points will be awarded for a victory versus a I-A
opponent. In addition, one (1) point will be deducted for a loss to a
Division II or Division lII opponent. Points will not be awarded for a
victory versus a Division II or III institution, nor will points be deducted
for a loss to a Division I-A or I-AA institution. The team with the
most points would be declared the automatic qualifier. (UMASS = 2 points for wins over Colgate and Holy Cross, UD = 2.5 points for wins over Navy and Monmouth)

4. If the above tie-breakers fail, a conference call with the directors of
athletics from the institutions not involved in the tie will be convened by
the Commissioner. The directors of athletics, with input from the head
coaches, would then declare the Conference's automatic qualifier.

So the Hens actually do have the tiebreaker if they both go 10-1... but again, I don't see that happening (but it's nice to know xsmiley_wix ).

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
OK, found the A10 tiebreaker and I'm going to assume the CAA adopted the same one (BTW, I was incorrect on games outside of the CAA counting) :o ...

TIE OUTSIDE DIVISION

opponents. SAME

most points would be declared the automatic qualifier. (UMASS = 2 points for wins over Colgate and Holy Cross, UD = 2.5 points for wins over Navy and Monmouth)

So the Hens actually do have the tiebreaker if they both go 10-1... but again, I don't see that happening (but it's nice to know xsmiley_wix ).

Actually don't you have the tiebreaker if UMass is 9-2, if they are 10-1 then they are 8-0.

89Hen
November 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Actually don't you have the tiebreaker if UMass is 9-2, if they are 10-1 then they are 8-0.
I meant 7-1 CAA. UMass would be 9-2 overall.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM

TIE OUTSIDE DIVISION

opponents. SAME

Actually it's another way of comparing overall records, with taking the quality of the games into account. Basically, if teams are tied in the conference standings, the team with the better overall record would win most of the time, barring some really strange scheduling (multiple DII teams, multiple FBS teams for the team with the lesser record, although they'd have to win some of those, etc).

GaSouthern
November 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Because GSU beat ASU and Citadel, and Wofford beat ASU and the citadel my vote went with

GSU vs. Wofford

lizrdgizrd
November 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
The homer in me says ASU - Citadel, but the Holy Cross - Fordham game will likely tell us who is the PL's representative to the playoffs.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Basically, if teams are tied in the conference standings, the team with the better overall record would win most of the time, barring some really strange scheduling (multiple DII teams, multiple FBS teams for the team with the lesser record, although they'd have to win some of those, etc).
Not really. Had UD beaten say UNI instead of Navy they would have lost the tiebreaker even though I'd consider UNI a better win than Navy. xeyebrowx

HensRock
November 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
The CAA Tiebreaker is a little bit different.
There are no half points.
A full point is awarded for any scholarship conference or scholarship independent program and that includes the NEC.
Still 2 points for FBS win.
1 point deduction for Div II or Div III loss. (Intereesting that they don't even have rules regarding NAIA teams.)

You are still correct that we win the tiebreaker, but it's by a full point, not half.

However, that's ONLY if UMass loses to UNH or URI and UD wins out. Hofstra does not matter. If UMass wins their next 2 games, they clinch the AQ.

saint0917
November 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
WOW, lots of great games this weekend.

Game of The Weekxthumbsupx
James Madison at Delaware

psc2445
November 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
good games, but my intrigue is with the GSU vs. Wofford

813Jag
November 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
I think Texas Southern vs. Southern. xlolx The Tigers quest for a winless season continues in Houston.
But seriously I think JMU vs. Delaware is the game of the week, although the SoCon games are interesting as well.