PDA

View Full Version : SIU @ Western Illinois

leatherneck177
October 31st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Alright, two big games left for the Leathernecks. Two wins and they're in the playoffs. However that is a tall order at this point. We played the Salukis tough in Carbondale last year and with a few breaks, could've come out on top. However last year we had a better and more efficient offense than this year's group.

The defense is much improved. Northern Iowa flat out crushed us a couple weeks ago. I am hoping that was just a blip in the schedule, however it was not encouraging at all. They were more physical than us, which has not happened very often this year. I'd like for SIU to use the run to set up their play-action passes.

The game could come down to special teams and turnovers.

WIU 31
SIU 28

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Southern 52
Western 12

SIU is the real deal and they should crush you. Leathernecks are not good at home in big games. Your fans will be gone by the middle of the 3rd Q.xrolleyesx

Ronin
October 31st, 2007, 11:08 AM
SIU 38
WIU 17

Killtoppers90
October 31st, 2007, 11:58 AM
I can see SIU moving up to FBS in the near future.

crunifan
October 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM

I can't. It would be suicide leaving the Valley.

JohnStOnge
October 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't count WIU out. The Leathernecks need this game a lot more than SIU does.

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't count WIU out. The Leathernecks need this game a lot more than SIU does.

Absolutely, I wouldn't count out anyone except INSU in the Gateway. WIU has a history of folding in the big games. SIU will get a few quick scores then it will snowball from there with WIU getting score or two on the SIU second team. Just like the UNI game a couple weeks ago.

leatherneck177
October 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Absolutely, I wouldn't count out anyone except INSU in the Gateway. WIU has a history of folding in the big games. SIU will get a few quick scores then it will snowball from there with WIU getting score or two on the SIU second team. Just like the UNI game a couple weeks ago.

Things can change. It was back in 2003 that you guys were always middle of the pack or worse in the Gateway. We were riding high and on top and you guys knocked us off in Macomb which kick started your current run.

I would not count us out that easily. It was a 35-28 game last year in Carbondale, with what I believe was a far superior SIU team to this year's group.

Everyone wants to draw comparisions with the UNI game. I believe that Gateway has shown this year that you can't do that at all. ISU goes into the Ice Castle and wins and then gets crushed by WIU last week (it was not as close as the score would indicate).

I believe WIU will come out on top, but even if they don't, it will not be that ugly.

birdbrain
October 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Herb Donaldson :(

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM
WIU doesn't have a QB. Can't beat Top 10 teams without a QB.

SIU by 25+

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Things can change. It was back in 2003 that you guys were always middle of the pack or worse in the Gateway. We were riding high and on top and you guys knocked us off in Macomb which kick started your current run.

I would not count us out that easily. It was a 35-28 game last year in Carbondale, with what I believe was a far superior SIU team to this year's group.

Everyone wants to draw comparisions with the UNI game. I believe that Gateway has shown this year that you can't do that at all. ISU goes into the Ice Castle and wins and then gets crushed by WIU last week (it was not as close as the score would indicate).

I believe WIU will come out on top, but even if they don't, it will not be that ugly.
I have to disagree about last year's team being superior to this year. We depended too much on Whitlock last year. We have more balance, depth and speed this year. Hill has improved with a year of experience under his belt. My main concern with this game is turnovers. The Leathernecks have recovered 10 fumbles this year. If we can hang onto the ball, I think we win.

Houndawg
October 31st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Alright, two big games left for the Leathernecks. Two wins and they're in the playoffs. However that is a tall order at this point. We played the Salukis tough in Carbondale last year and with a few breaks, could've come out on top. However last year we had a better and more efficient offense than this year's group.

The defense is much improved. Northern Iowa flat out crushed us a couple weeks ago. I am hoping that was just a blip in the schedule, however it was not encouraging at all. They were more physical than us, which has not happened very often this year. I'd like for SIU to use the run to set up their play-action passes.

The game could come down to special teams and turnovers.

WIU 31
SIU 28

I think that it should be throwing to set the run up. You're going to have to load the box and those are the downs we'll throw on early.

SIU- 28

WIU- 13

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM

I'd love to see the necks win, trust me. I think though that this SIU may be just as good as UNI, even with their loss in the Dome, which was almost a win. That being said...

Houndawg
October 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have to disagree about last year's team being superior to this year. We depended too much on Whitlock last year. We have more balance, depth and speed this year. Hill has improved with a year of experience under his belt. My main concern with this game is turnovers. The Leathernecks have recovered 10 fumbles this year. If we can hang onto the ball, I think we win.

I wouldn't say we depended on him too much, I think it was good coaching from the standpoint of not putting too much pressure on Hill his first year starting, and the guy was on the Payton watch.

I agree that we're better this year, I can see a difference from the stands, mostly in Hill. I don't know what parallel universe '117 is from where last years team was better than this years team.xconfusedx

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I'm just saying that we are better at taking what the defense gives us this year. When UNI stopped our running game at the dome, Hill ended up passing for over four hundred yards. That would not have happened last year.

JoeNeck90
October 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm just saying that we are better at taking what the defense gives us this year. When UNI stopped our running game at the dome, Hill ended up passing for over four hundred yards. That would not have happened last year.

You summed it up right there. I've seen the NIU, YSU and UNI games. I used to think Sambursky was a stud... he was definately a field general but Hill is phenomenal.

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2007, 09:41 PM
You summed it up right there. I've seen the NIU, YSU and UNI games. I used to think Sambursky was a stud... he was definately a field general but Hill is phenomenal.
Hill has a stronger arm and is probably more mobile.

BearsCountry
October 31st, 2007, 10:47 PM

If the team from the west of them and north of them make the move first then they would IMO.

Houndawg
October 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM

I hope not. I like it right where we're at, big duck in smaller pond. I'd like to see coach Kill settle in and become a dynasty in FCS. I don't think the added pressure of FBS would be good for his health.

MSUBear42
October 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM
If the team from the west of them and north of them make the move first then they would IMO.

Us and Illinois State?? Yes, please xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM

I doubt it. Playoffs are more fun than playing in the Generic Cereal Bowl.

Saluki_man
November 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
I belive the offense more balanced than last year, especially with the passing game being more of a threat this year. Can't use the same old plan of putting 8 or 9 in the box and stopping the SIU offense. The defense is also much improved over last year and facing a freshman quarterback, things will be easier than last year. I am looking for a 10 point win, especally this being in Macomb. If this was in Carbondale it would be a 21-30 point win.

Saluki_man
November 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM

We won't move up untill atleast these four conditions are met:

1) Average 15,000+ per home game
2) New stadium
3) More high dollar alumi donations
4) Better regional TV coverage (which includes St. Louis and Chicago)

nmatsen
November 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM

Not so fast, SIU could still (very deservidly (sp?) pull off a seed for the playoffs. If they finish 10-1 with their only loss coming on the road by less than one touchdown (six yards from winning) to the number one seed (which presumably would go to UNI should they finish 11-0).

Some things would need to happen in order for that to work but it is still possible. There have been years that two teams from the same conference have been ranked. I think that UMASS and Montana each have a loss in front of them still.

skinny_uncle
November 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Not so fast, SIU could still (very deservidly (sp?) pull off a seed for the playoffs. If they finish 10-1 with their only loss coming on the road by less than one touchdown (six yards from winning) to the number one seed (which presumably would go to UNI should they finish 11-0).

Some things would need to happen in order for that to work but it is still possible. There have been years that two teams from the same conference have been ranked. I think that UMASS and Montana each have a loss in front of them still.
I hope you are right. In my gut, I don't see Montana losing a regular season game although I don't think they are as good as last year. All we can do is win and hope. I also feel like whoever wins the bid from the CAA will get a seed.