PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Playoffs Round 2: Southeastern Louisiana @ #6 Samford

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Game kicks off at 2PM CT on Saturday 12/3 and will be streamed on ESPN+. Here's how these two teams match up statistically (the number in parenthesis behind the stat value is the corresponding national FCS rank).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52526333467_71e56c6c58_z.jpg

Winner moves on to face the winner of SEMO/Montana @ #3 North Dakota St.

The Cats
November 26th, 2022, 09:40 PM
Samford

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Lions

LionUp
November 26th, 2022, 09:54 PM
Lions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katss07
November 26th, 2022, 10:18 PM
Lions

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2022, 10:20 PM
This one again is a great FCS match up and what the playoffs are all about

LionUp
November 26th, 2022, 11:09 PM
This one again is a great FCS match up and what the playoffs are all about

Ok great, but who you pickin[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2022, 01:06 AM
Samford is the pick here without question…IF…Starting QB Hiers plays.

Injured hand or wrist on final play of 1st OT vs. Mercer. Did not play in 2nd OT.

Backup is R-FR walk-on.

MTfan4life
November 27th, 2022, 01:14 AM

Injured hand or wrist on final play of 1st OT vs. Mercer. Did not play in 2nd OT.

Backup is R-FR walk-on.

Southeastern Louisiana is much better than you think. But so is Samford. This is by far one of the most intriguing games of the second round.

SU DOG
November 27th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Backup is R-FR walk-on.

THIS! Michael Hiers is the heart and soul of this Samford Team. Samford will not say one word about the severity, which is wise. However, in watching the play it sure looked bad like there is a possibility of a broken bone in that throwing hand. Yes, the backup QB has very little experience.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2022, 09:41 AM
The team stats breakdown has been added to the first post of the thread.

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2022, 10:23 AM
SELA is one of the most underrated teams in the tournament. Great resume. Coinflip for me, give Samford the edge because their at home.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2022, 10:52 AM
THIS! Michael Hiers is the heart and soul of this Samford Team. Samford will not say one word about the severity, which is wise. However, in watching the play it sure looked bad like there is a possibility of a broken bone in that throwing hand. Yes, the backup QB has very little experience.

Would be a crying shame if Hiers can’t go because SLA doesn’t want any excuses for another win

OhioHen
November 28th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Samford benefits from Southeastern Louisiana having played a tough game in Round 1.

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Samford benefits from Southeastern Louisiana having played a tough game in Round 1.

We'll be fine.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2022, 05:30 PM
We'll be fine.

Who was the stud that went for pick 6? #40 ? It was hilarious watching McCoy try and run him down

katss07
November 28th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Who was the stud that went for pick 6? #40 ? It was hilarious watching McCoy try and run him down
Pretty sure that was Zy Alexander, who would’ve had another if it wasn’t for that BS roughing call.

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Zy Alexander No. 14. He had another pick 6 against Nicholls the week before—had 6 INT last year as a freshman. USC tried to flip in the portal back during the summer. Hope we can hang onto him another year. Great kid.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Zy Alexander No. 14. He had another pick 6 against Nicholls the week before—had 6 INT last year as a freshman. USC tried to flip in the portal back during the summer. Hope we can hang onto him another year. Great kid.

Thanks LK2

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2022, 11:57 PM
Gonna take this random Tweet that FUBeAR stumbled across as good news for Samford..

https://twitter.com/mattrichsdg/status/1595222474308087808

Assuming Mr. Hiers writes with the same hand he uses to chunk the Football, if he was giving out autographs to kids after the 6th Seeded (should be Top 4) Bulldogs squeaked by an outstanding Mercer Team, that should be in the Playoffs, in 2 OT’s, ya gotta think the injury to his throwing hand/wrist, that kept him on the sidelines in the 2nd OT, isn’t that bad.

#DefundTheCommittee

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Gonna take this random Tweet that FUBeAR stumbled across as good news for Samford..

https://twitter.com/mattrichsdg/status/1595222474308087808

Assuming Mr. Hiers writes with the same hand he uses to chunk the Football, if he was giving out autographs to kids after the 6th Seeded (should be Top 4) Bulldogs squeaked by an outstanding Mercer Team, that should be in the Playoffs, in 2 OT’s, ya gotta think the injury to his throwing hand/wrist, that kept him on the sidelines in the 2nd OT, isn’t that bad.

#DefundTheCommittee

......AH'D WANNA SEE HIS HANDWRITIN'........DOES HIS SIGNATURE......LOOK LIKE UH 4 YEARS OL'....??....BRAWK?

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2022, 07:36 AM
......AH'D WANNA SEE HIS HANDWRITIN'........DOES HIS SIGNATURE......LOOK LIKE UH 4 YEARS OL'....??....BRAWK?
Hmmm…. Think they call that “chicken scratch,” don’t they? (No offense)

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2022, 07:41 AM
Hmmm…. Think they call that “chicken scratch,” don’t they? (No offense)

........NONE TAKIN'....WHEN IT'S FUNNY.....AN' DAT WAS....FUNNY.....xlolxxlolxxlolx....BRAWK!

FUBeAR
December 1st, 2022, 08:07 PM
From the Samford board…from a student…allegedly…

Hiers has been practicing this week. He has been pretty limited but has been throwing. Don’t know the answer to “is he playing Saturday”

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 AM
It seems like Hiers is going to have to pitch a perfect game for Samford to win. He’s definitely capable of doing it, especially against a this defense, but I’m not convinced this team does anything well besides throwing the ball.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2022, 04:51 AM
It seems like Hiers is going to have to pitch a perfect game for Samford to win. He’s definitely capable of doing it, especially against a this defense, but I’m not convinced this team does anything well besides throwing the ball.
If you had said that about almost every other Football Team that FUBeAR has seen Chris Hatcher Coach, FUBeAR would wholeheartedly agree with you…BUT this Samford Team is different.

This Samford Team CAN run the ball rather effectively with 2 very solid experienced RB’s that fit their Offense perfectly. They have, BY FAR, the best Defensive Team Samford has shown in at least the past decade. Punter is an Aussie - probably 28 years old - and solid. Kicker is younger, but fine and rest of special teams play has been solid…y’know, they’re capable of snapping on a punt without launching it into the nearest mountain range…like, um…yeah…like Weber. They also have a lot more ‘substance’ about them than prior Samford squads. They seem to be REALLY about winning, as opposed to being flashy and putting up stats.

All that said…if QB Hiers isn’t at least 85%-90%, the Bulldogs are headed to the kill kennel on Saturday.

SU DOG
December 2nd, 2022, 10:34 AM
According to Hatcher this morning, Hiers is a game-time decision. The backup has taken most of the snaps in practice this week. The backup, for those who might not know is a RSFr. walk-on who has rushed 3 times and has thrown a total of 6 passes. From what I gather, there is no way that Hiers is 100%. Again, however, it is impossible to get any real concrete info about this situation.

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2022, 11:13 AM
Is anyone else in the mood to rampantly speculate on what the injury is? Hiers threw a pass then brought his arm towards his chest to brace for a hit and it looked like he took a helmet directly the wrist/hand. If it’s still injured two weeks later, it seems unlikely it’s just a contusion. Possible a fracture or break?

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2022, 11:16 AM
Is anyone else in the mood to rampantly speculate on what the injury is? Hiers threw a pass then brought his arm towards his chest to brace for a hit and it looked like he took a helmet directly the wrist/hand. If it’s still injured two weeks later, it seems unlikely it’s just a contusion. Possible a fracture or break?
We’re assuming coachspeak and he’ll play at 100%. But we’ll be ready for whoever plays.

Karl Havoc
December 2nd, 2022, 11:17 AM
If you had said that about almost every other Football Team that FUBeAR has seen Chris Hatcher Coach, FUBeAR would wholeheartedly agree with you…BUT this Samford Team is different.

This Samford Team CAN run the ball rather effectively with 2 very solid experienced RB’s that fit their Offense perfectly. They have, BY FAR, the best Defensive Team Samford has shown in at least the past decade. Punter is an Aussie - probably 28 years old - and solid. Kicker is younger, but fine and rest of special teams play has been solid…y’know, they’re capable of snapping on a punt without launching it into the nearest mountain range…like, um…yeah…like Weber. They also have a lot more ‘substance’ about them than prior Samford squads. They seem to be REALLY about winning, as opposed to being flashy and putting up stats.

All that said…if QB Hiers isn’t at least 85%-90%, the Bulldogs are headed to the kill kennel on Saturday.

You’ve watched them a whole lot more than me, but they only average 3.7 ypc and they allow a whole lot of passing yards for a team in a conference with Wofford, The Citadel, and VMI. Plus Huff was out when they played Furman. I’m leaning SLU this week, but I’m always wrong about SLU lol.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2022, 11:55 AM
You’ve watched them a whole lot more than me, but they only average 3.7 ypc and they allow a whole lot of passing yards for a team in a conference with Wofford, The Citadel, and VMI. Plus Huff was out when they played Furman. I’m leaning SLU this week, but I’m always wrong about SLU lol.
LOL - VMI has been Air Raid for years now. They’re best 2 Players will be the QB & WR leading Richmond in their upset over SacState tomorrow. Wofford is all passing now also. They threw for 428 and ran for 37 in their 63-28 loss to Furman 2 weeks ago. Only CIT is ground and pound in SoCon now.

That said - from what FUBeAR is seeing, Hiers isn’t going to be close to 100% and you are leaning the right way…SLU will win … and it will reflect badly on the SoCon … without context.

FUBeAR tried to tell ‘em to rest their Players for the Playoffs and just let Mercer win…but they don’t listen!

11/15 … on the Samford Board, in response to a Samford fan’s lamentations about needing a week off in November … “11/19 [date of their game with Mercer] is a weekend in November. Rest easy bulldog players. You have playoff games to win.” - FUBeAR

FUBeAR has done all he can do for Samford. He tried. They made their own kennel. Now they’ll have to lie in it.

SU DOG
December 2nd, 2022, 12:07 PM
FUBeAR was ONLY thinking of what was best for Samford LOL! I will agree with him about Mercer, however. Even after the OT loss at Samford, it is a CRYING SHAME that the Bears are not in the Playoffs. Argue with stats W-L records or whatever you want, Mercer would have been an incredibly tough out, and IMO, would still be playing this Saturday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2022, 05:05 AM
This will probably be a good game. Samford's strength is passing but they also give up a lot of passing yards.

Either winner will be a new team coming to Fargo if the Bison win. I like watching good defensive teams and SELA's is very average and Samford's is not very good. Both are average in scoring defense.

SELA: 62
Samford: 101

Defensive rank out of 123 FCS teams.

SU DOG
December 3rd, 2022, 09:56 AM
This will probably be a good game. Samford's strength is passing but they also give up a lot of passing yards.

Either winner will be a new team coming to Fargo if the Bison win. I like watching good defensive teams and SELA's is very average and Samford's is not very good. Both are average in scoring defense.

But isn't it interesting that in 10 FCS games this year Samford gave up 229 points and SLU gave up 224? That 5 points difference isn't indicative of that 101-62 ranking spread.

SU DOG
December 3rd, 2022, 10:18 AM
Samford plays an unusual defensive alignment. It is a 3 front with 3 safeties. I think the idea is to keep everything in front and prevent the big explosive plays. Admittedly this gives up some ground for a grinding power game. I am definitely concerned with the possibility that the Lions might exploit this with their good running backs. Chattanooga, however, was unable to have success in a similar situation. Today will be most interesting.

grizband
December 3rd, 2022, 02:02 PM

But isn't it interesting that in 10 FCS games this year Samford gave up 229 points and SLU gave up 224? That 5 points difference isn't indicative of that 101-62 ranking spread.
Those rankings are based on total defense (yards/game), not scoring defense. When considering scoring defense, Samford is ranked 39 (23.82 points/game), and SeLA is ranked 40 (24.17 points/game).

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 05:10 PM
This is closer than Samford might have wished.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 05:18 PM
SLU 42 Samford 42 :37 left in 4th

JacksFan40
December 3rd, 2022, 05:23 PM
A wise man told me that SELA losing to TAMU-Commerce meant they were not a good team. He also implied that because Samford stepped on the same football field as THE Georgia Bulldogs, they were deserving of the #1 seed.

NDSU beats both teams by 10+

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 05:33 PM
Samford wins in OT 48-42.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 05:34 PM
Samford wins 48-42!

JacksFan40
December 3rd, 2022, 05:34 PM
Have fun in Fargo

FUwolfpacker
December 3rd, 2022, 05:53 PM
NDSU beats both teams by 10+

Don't they do that to almost everyone this time of year?

FU_Paladin08
December 3rd, 2022, 07:15 PM
Heck of a game

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 07:15 PM
Heck of a game

Yes, it was.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 08:07 PM
Samford pulls it out with the backup QB and pretty good actually

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 08:29 PM
Don't they do that to almost everyone this time of year?

That pretty much sums it up. There are exceptions though.

Dewey

tallgeorgiagent
December 3rd, 2022, 08:50 PM
Samford played with the back up QB.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

SU DOG
December 3rd, 2022, 09:04 PM
Backup QB is a RSFr. walk-on who prior to this game had taken fewer than a dozen snaps. To be honest I would have thought we wouldn't have had a snowball's chance, but he balled out.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 09:14 PM
Backup QB is a RSFr. walk-on who prior to this game had taken fewer than a dozen snaps. To be honest I would have thought we wouldn't have had a snowball's chance, but he balled out.

amazing game

FUwolfpacker
December 3rd, 2022, 09:20 PM
Meant to say this earlier but congrats to Samford! Crittendon played an amazing game! Was definitely worried when SLU tied it up, but just like every tight game all year, they’ve had an answer. Very impressive year for Samford!

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2022, 09:22 PM
I would've thought SLU wins easily if Hiers isn't able to go. Great win Bulldogs! Can't wait to watch the replay of this one too.

FU_Paladin08
December 3rd, 2022, 09:30 PM

Gotta wonder if the kid got a ton of snaps over the last two weeks. Good news if he has to get back out there next week.

gofurman
December 3rd, 2022, 10:50 PM
I was shocked when I just pulled up the box score. Heirs is THE MAN. video game numbers. (Like Scott at UIW). I just assumed he played when I saw Samford won. Just a given. Great job Crittendon. FRESHMAN vs Senior at SELA. SELA ought to be embarrassed

Congrats Samford!!! Great job SoCon. Furman beats Elon of CAA. Samford - without star QB - beats SELA. man, I do hope Heirs can go next week. Never want games decided bc of injury in last reg season game

lion4life
December 4th, 2022, 08:25 AM
SLU dominated this game up front. Lions rushed for 348 yards and 6 TDs, averaged 7.1 yards per carry. I’m literally sick that we lost this game. Gotta give Samford credit, the QB played outstanding which makes it pretty obvious that it’s the scheme and not the players. We were totally confused on the backend and didn’t get enough pressure up front. Great college football game. Good luck to the bulldogs as they mover forward but the way we ran the ball on their defense makes me wonder what the Bison will rush for.

lion4life
December 4th, 2022, 08:31 AM
It was also very discouraging that arguably the best corner in the country Zy Alexander couldn’t play for the Lions due to injury. He certainly would have made a big difference for SLU’s defense. Overall a great year for SLU where they battled adversity all year long. SLU lost one of the best players in FCS history last year as Cole Kelley graduated but they still found themselves back in the 2nd round of FCS playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years. It’s pretty apparent that coach Scelfo is building a year in and year our contender in Hammond.

SU DOG
December 4th, 2022, 04:08 PM
I can understand how lion4life or any SLU fan would be very disappointed. There is no doubt that Samford was dominated in the trenches and the rushing averages verify that. Cephus Johnson and Carlos Washington are just extremely hard to tackle. I understand that the only FCS loss for the Lions this year was when Johnson didn't play. However, stats haven't meant much to Samford this year as this team has just found some way to win. I was a doubter that Samford could do it without Hiers. I also believe that had he been able to play at 100% the game would never have gone into OT. I wish folks could have seen just how really good this guy is.

This was a slobber-knocker of a game between 2 good teams. Thanks for the compliments, and I'm sure you are right about the bright future for SLU.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2022, 09:17 PM
It was also very discouraging that arguably the best corner in the country Zy Alexander couldn’t play for the Lions due to injury. He certainly would have made a big difference for SLU’s defense. Overall a great year for SLU where they battled adversity all year long. SLU lost one of the best players in FCS history last year as Cole Kelley graduated but they still found themselves back in the 2nd round of FCS playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years. It’s pretty apparent that coach Scelfo is building a year in and year our contender in Hammond.

Zy looked to be at full speed vs Idaho, what happened ?

lionsrking2
December 4th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Zy looked to be at full speed vs Idaho, what happened ?
Fell ill and couldn’t go