PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Playoffs Round 2: Richmond @ #2 Sacramento State

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Game kicks off at 2PM PT on Saturday 12/3 and will be streamed on ESPN+. Here's how these two teams match up statistically (the number in parenthesis behind the stat value is the corresponding national FCS rank).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52527278330_dbb90c46c4_z.jpg

Winner moves on to face the winner of Furman @ #7 Incarnate Word.

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Haha, sorry for the premature thread - I saw on my ESPN app it was end of 4th but it was really only end of 3rd in the Richmond/Davidson game... regardless this looks like a pretty safe bet for the 2nd round matchup. :)

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Haha, sorry for the premature thread - I saw on my ESPN app it was end of 4th but it was really only end of 3rd in the Richmond/Davidson game... regardless this looks like a pretty safe bet for the 2nd round matchup. :)

ESPN does that a lot with FCS games, it's like they get "end 3rd" and "start 4th" crossed up.

The Cats
November 26th, 2022, 09:46 PM
Sacramento State

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2022, 09:47 AM
The team stats breakdown has been added to the first post of the thread.

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2022, 09:55 AM
I like Richmond in this one. It's the best team in the CAA in my opinion.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2022, 10:40 AM
I like Richmond in this one. It's the best team in the CAA in my opinion.

William & Mary disagrees with you on that

This is a tough match up for Richmond. it’s also a dream match up. The Spiders are a super solid team but not necessarily a spectacular team, disrespected in the polls until the last few games of the season. Sacramento St has been spectacular but still hasn’t gotten over the playoff bug. Pun intended

in a different bracket, this could be a Semifinal game, Richmond is that good but early visions have Sac St exterminating da Spiders

The Cats
November 27th, 2022, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking this might be a pretty good game...

OhioHen
November 28th, 2022, 09:28 AM
Spiders are well-tested but so are the Hornets. Home field and not having to travel cross-country are the deciding factor.

Daytripper
November 28th, 2022, 09:48 AM
This will be a good one, I think.

jacksfan29!
November 28th, 2022, 10:23 AM
Until Sac proves they can win a playoff game, I have to go with Richmond

Green Cookie Monster
November 28th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Tough game for the Hornets. Predicted rain and cold, so hopefully Richmond QB is grounded. It will be decided by turnovers. Best QB the Hornets have faced this year, saying a lot with the pass happy BSC.

Green Cookie Monster
November 28th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Until Sac proves they can win a playoff game, I have to go with Richmond

They proved 11-0. I think they will be prepared this round.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPb7sHFQ9Irn54Y/giphy.gif

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Tough game for the Hornets. Predicted rain and cold, so hopefully Richmond QB is grounded. It will be decided by turnovers. Best QB the Hornets have faced this year, saying a lot with the pass happy BSC.

Fog ?

SpiderJPO
November 28th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Hoping for a great game with decent weather on Saturday. My brother and I are flying in for the game from VA. Looking to get some tailgate information from some Hornets fans so we can enjoy some pre-game festivities. Give me some feedback on where to park or go to get in on some tailgating. We always love to meet other fans in other parts of the country so let me know the spot to find Saturday.

Green Cookie Monster
November 28th, 2022, 10:28 PM
Hoping for a great game with decent weather on Saturday. My brother and I are flying in for the game from VA. Looking to get some tailgate information from some Hornets fans so we can enjoy some pre-game festivities. Give me some feedback on where to park or go to get in on some tailgating. We always love to meet other fans in other parts of the country so let me know the spot to find Saturday.

You will see the crowd. Tailgating is in lot to the west of the stadium. Opens up about three hours before game time. Rush at the gate can be bothersome, so if you want to see kickoff don’t wait 10 minutes before KO. Beer is sold in the stadium until end of halftime. Check out hornetsports.com for game day activities, etc.

Green Cookie Monster
November 28th, 2022, 10:33 PM
Oh, and bring layered rain gear.

JacksFan40
November 28th, 2022, 10:41 PM
Richmond is a very good team, but so is Sac State. I think Sac State gets the edge due to being at home, that’s a long flight for Richmond.

Terry2889
November 29th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Richmond is a very good team, but so is Sac State. I think Sac State gets the edge due to being at home, that’s a long flight for Richmond.

Richmond hasn't played their best football down the stretch, they almost lost to us (very average) and should have lost to Delaware. Sac St. looks pretty damn good from the video that's out there. It's always interesting to see how two teams from totally different sides of the country with no prior experience with one another match up. Sac St. should get the win.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 09:49 AM
Oh, and bring layered rain gear.

Visions of Cameron Skattebo lumbering down a wet field like a Wildebeast in a monsoon

2caafans
November 29th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Richmond hasn't played their best football down the stretch, they almost lost to us (very average) and should have lost to Delaware. Sac St. looks pretty damn good from the video that's out there. It's always interesting to see how two teams from totally different sides of the country with no prior experience with one another match up. Sac St. should get the win.

I agree New Hamphire was average. Spiders led 24-0 and carelessly gave up a 50 yd hail merry moon ball the last play of the 1st half.
Total first downs Richmond 27 New Hampshire12!! Spiders led 31 -14 middle of 3rd qtr. and played conservative. Should have buried New Hampshire.

ncspiderfan
November 29th, 2022, 07:27 PM
There was a time during middle part of season that Spiders were playing games with 5 D-Lineman total. One game (I do not remember the exact one), two DEs played every defensive snap. That situation has corrected itself late in the season and two deep is back to normal.

I noticed the conservative mode you mention, but while not an insider, I suspect protecting the DL from total exhaustion may have contributed in an attempt to rest the defense. JMO of course.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 07:45 PM
I’ve been waiting for some Richmond fans to show up this year, I’ve been shamelessly plugging the Spiders all year with no help from you guys, not easy when people were saying only a few weeks ago Richmond was not worthy of a top 25 vote

Having said that, I’ve watched Sacramento State several times and I think they will win this game, tough break for Richmond because with the right bracket, I think Richy could sneak into the semifinal...

Whatever you do AGS fans ....don’t miss this Sacramento State Richmond game. I am really looking forward to it

paward
November 29th, 2022, 08:06 PM
I’ve been waiting for some Richmond fans to show up this year, I’ve been shamelessly plugging the Spiders all year with no help from you guys, not easy when people were saying only a few weeks ago Richmond was not worthy of a top 25 vote

Having said that, I’ve watched Sacramento State several times and I think they will win this game, tough break for Richmond because with the right bracket, I think Richy could sneak into the semifinal...

Whatever you do AGS fans ....don’t miss this Sacramento State Richmond game. I am really looking forward to it

Hey I resent that. I am always around somewhere. Although I am tough on my team in the polls. It’s a luck type thing.

Whampas
November 29th, 2022, 08:19 PM

Long time lurker recent poster. I have noticed your support. Thanks. Yes, a very tough opponent this weekend but don't sleep on these Spiders. I can tell you first hand that they expect to win.

ncspiderfan
November 29th, 2022, 08:32 PM

Been noticing the support for Spiders all year, appreciate it and should have chimed in, especially when people talked about not being top 25 worthy.
Plain and simple, did not want to homer it until we made playoffs. I also knew the DL situation was thin and we had three playoff contenders left that as it turned out, all made it and proved we were fortunate to at least win two of three. Two deep is out for Spiders, if we loss, Sac State will have beaten a pretty good group back at what we pretty much had to start season.

Might get fooled but expect competitive game. Odds makers do not seem to think so. I got Spiders by 7 in the playoff pick game. A little homer pick, but really not much.

Hoping for Henderson to show just how good an athlete he is this Saturday, big game for Pitts is about due also, GL this weekend.
To quote a famous person "Why not Delaware?"

As for UNH and WIlliam and Mary they are not pushovers and believe they both win this weekend. I agree CAA was not seen due to Flo Sports, hope your stand for the CAA all year has been correct.

ngineer
November 29th, 2022, 09:28 PM
Sac State has had an impressive season. I also had the 'pleasure' of seeing Richmond in Goodman Stadium. They are talented and athletic. I would not be surprised at the outcome of this game, other than a dominating win by either. I think it will be close all the way, and give slight edge to Sac State, by 3 points.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Been noticing the support for Spiders all year, appreciate it and should have chimed in, especially when people talked about not being top 25 worthy.
Plain and simple, did not want to homer it until we made playoffs. I also knew the DL situation was thin and we had three playoff contenders left that as it turned out, all made it and proved we were fortunate to at least win two of three. Two deep is out for Spiders, if we loss, Sac State will have beaten a pretty good group back at what we pretty much had to start season.

Might get fooled but expect competitive game. Odds makers do not seem to think so. I got Spiders by 7 in the playoff pick game. A little homer pick, but really not much.

Hoping for Henderson to show just how good an athlete he is this Saturday, big game for Pitts is about due also, GL this weekend.
To quote a famous person "Why not Delaware?"

As for UNH and WIlliam and Mary they are not pushovers and believe they both win this weekend. I agree CAA was not seen due to Flo Sports, hope your stand for the CAA all year has been correct.

Thank you and I think you’re making good points

I was defending William & Mary earlier in the season and once they started getting some recognition I moved on to Richmond and Why not Delaware, haha Yes that was me

My preseason rankings (wrong order but right teams) and my basic point all year was these 3 can play with the Weber States, Idaho’s and the Montana States
1) Richmond
2) Delaware
3) William &Mary

A concern would be the way Elon got beat by Furman. They were manhandled and some doubt about the strength of the CAA is valid because Elon did beat my top 3 CAA teams... Didn’t see that coming and in fact, I still don’t understand Elon

UNH has gotten stronger as the season progressed, I’ll give em credit for that

rest of the CAA has a long way to go

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2022, 09:46 PM
You understand, CHen. You just don’t want to admit that you understand.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2022, 09:47 PM
A concern would be the way Elon got beat by Furman. They were manhandled and some doubt about the strength of the CAA is valid because Elon did beat my top 3 CAA teams... Didn’t see that coming and in fact, I still don’t understand Elon
You understand, CHen. You just don’t want to admit to yourself (and others) that you understand.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 09:58 PM
You understand, CHen. You just don’t want to admit that you understand.

Maybe

I know Furman got the right CAA team and did really bad things to them, kind of like Elon’s Daddy dropped the team off with the evil babysitter for 3 hours and now Furman has to go to Incarnate confession

ncspiderfan
November 29th, 2022, 10:33 PM
Thank you and I think you’re making good points

I was defending William & Mary earlier in the season and once they started getting some recognition I moved on to Richmond and Why not Delaware, haha Yes that was me

My preseason rankings (wrong order but right teams) and my basic point all year was these 3 can play with the Weber States, Idaho’s and the Montana States
1) Richmond
2) Delaware
3) William &Mary

UNH has gotten stronger as the season progressed, I’ll give em credit for that

rest of the CAA has a long way to go

Of the CAA playoff teams vs each other, only a few road wins the whole season. Elon vs W&M, Richmond vs Delaware, W&M vs Richmond come to mind, might have been one more. Throw in Delaware vs Rhode Island, since RI in mix. You got a point though, it was tough at the top, but bottom half not so much. Elon 6-0 at home as I remember, and they caught Spiders and Hens there. I was shocked when they lost at UNH and RI back to back weeks after they beat W&M and Spiders. Kind of had Elon already penciled in as conference winner until those two losses. UNH beating Elon badly was when I started to believe in Wildcats.

2caafans
November 30th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Spiders have impressive record of underdog road wins in the FCS playoffs. Spider fans will remember these five playoff victories as underdogs on the road........at Appalachian, Northern Iowa, Illinois St., U of North Dakota and of course U. of Montana at Chattanooga! Let's add the Sacramento Hornets to this list!

SCPALADIN
November 30th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Maybe

I know Furman got the right CAA team and did really bad things to them, kind of like Elon’s Daddy dropped the team off with the evil babysitter for 3 hours and now Furman has to go to Incarnate confession

Speaking of Furman....
In the hypothetical scenario where both Richmond and Furman win, who gets the home game for their quarterfinal matchup? Does it go back to a bid system or is it awarded to the team that beat the higher seeded team...or are all of the teams somehow secretly seeded? I'm sure this scenario has happened before but I'm drawing a blank. xchinscratchxxdontknowx

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Speaking of Furman....
In the hypothetical scenario where both Richmond and Furman win, who gets the home game for their quarterfinal matchup? Does it go back to a bid system or is it awarded to the team that beat the higher seeded team...or are all of the teams somehow secretly seeded? I'm sure this scenario has happened before but I'm drawing a blank. xchinscratchxxdontknowx

No clue but the committee will make up something

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2022, 10:16 AM
No clue but the committee will make up something
This is true. The BS Committee will do whatever they want to do and then recite some BS justification for what they did which, most likely, will have absolutely nothing to do with why they actually did it.

That said…Bids for hosting each round are submitted at the same time bids are submitted for hosting the 1st round.

“Proposed Budget(s). An online proposed budget must be completed for each round of competition you wish to host. For those institutions submitting bids for multiple rounds, a ‘copy’ function is available via the Budget System tab and will allow you to copy the budget for another round. The appropriate round and date of competition must be indicated on each budget. Please be sure to include projected ticket sales in the Receipts section.”

So, Furman and Richmond each may have submitted bids for the quarterfinal round or not. Theoretically, if they both submitted and all other things are more or less equal, the higher bid will get to host….THEORETICALLY….unless we were in Germany…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j87wE6DyOQA

#DefundTheCommittee #GoSpiders

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2022, 03:52 PM
https://twitter.com/spiders_fb/status/1598066441332613121

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 04:53 PM
People asleep on this one? Sac State choking again in the playoffs?

Richmond 21 Hornets 7 10:43 2Q

kdinva
December 3rd, 2022, 04:53 PM
Richmond 21; Sac State 7.........10:07 in 2nd.

JacksFan40
December 3rd, 2022, 04:54 PM
Must be playoff time because Sac State hasn’t shown up.

CPMPride
December 3rd, 2022, 05:20 PM
I'm paying attention to the games while listening to the Bison game. This one is going well for Richmond, and Delaware did not have as good a day as I hoped they would. I was really hoping to at least see SDSU get rattled.

People asleep on this one? Sac State choking again in the playoffs?

Richmond 21 Hornets 7 10:43 2Q

CopperCat
December 3rd, 2022, 05:33 PM
Richmond head coach has a bit of a potty mouth!

Sac State trying to exercise the ghost of playoffs past here.

ncspiderfan
December 3rd, 2022, 05:35 PM
Damn that was tough, sure looked like Sac State receiver was making a football move after he caught ball, scoop and score called back, and Sac State then goes on to score and gets the second half kickoff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 05:36 PM
This game will take center stage since all other games are over. Why weren't there any evening games this week? Kind of sucks....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 05:37 PM
Damn that was tough, sure looked like Sac State receiver was making a football move after he caught ball, scoop and score called back, and Sac State then goes on to score and gets the second half kickoff.

Exactly right

clearly caught the ball and that was a fumble

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 05:53 PM
Hornets return the second half kickoff for a 95 yard TD!!

Utgrizfan
December 3rd, 2022, 05:57 PM
Hornets return the second half kickoff for a 95 yard TD!!

Damn that was fast

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 05:57 PM
Richmond head coach has a bit of a potty mouth!

Sac State trying to exercise the ghost of playoffs past here.

Richmond coach loves pacing up and down the sideline cursing either to himself or to a coordinator...I can't tell.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:01 PM
Nice drive for the Spiders ends in 3 points. Tied at 24....

kdinva
December 3rd, 2022, 06:03 PM
Exactly right

clearly caught the ball and that was a fumble

+1

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:06 PM
It will be interesting to see if that is ruled a fumble or not.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:18 PM
Great TD catch for the Spiders!

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:19 PM
Great TD catch for the Spiders!

Absolutely!

31-24 Richmond with 453 ro go 3rd quarter.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:24 PM
Interception Richmond!

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:25 PM
Pick by the Spiders! What an awful throw...

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:27 PM
Pick by the Spiders! What an awful throw...

Probably the easiest interception of the DB's career.

Dewey

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:28 PM
That's some bad play calling by Richmond there.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish we could have watched these two go at it in good weather.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:28 PM
That's some bad play calling by Richmond there.

I agree...low percentage in this weather. Run a little sit down hitch over the middle of something...

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:30 PM
Those Sac State receivers aren't doing the QB any favors. I know it raining, but still.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:31 PM
WTH did Sac State go for that? Just pin Richmond again? And now their QB is hurt....

dewey
Punt the ball! Bad call.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
That easily could have been a roughing call. Spider caught him right under the chin...

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:32 PM
That was a shot to the head. Should be a penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:33 PM
This game is starting to get really sloppy like the UNH vs HC game. The weather is killing the execution....

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:33 PM
Looks like a fumble to me.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:34 PM
Spiders with another pick!

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2022, 06:35 PM
Doesn't Sac St have a stud RB?.....maybe use him?

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 06:36 PM
Doesn't Sac St have a stud RB?.....maybe use him?

Right? Even the announcers are saying the Hornets should maybe run the ball. Especially in bad weather.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 06:37 PM
Dykes our hurts Richmond

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:38 PM
Right? Even the announcers are saying the Hornets should maybe run the ball. Especially in bad weather.

Dewey

Absolutely! Sac State not playing to their regular season tendencies again in the playoffs and its costing them dearly....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 06:39 PM
And now Smith hurt

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:42 PM
Nice pitch and catch to end the 3rd for Sac State.

ncspiderfan
December 3rd, 2022, 06:45 PM
And now Smith hurt

We got one named Howard that is pretty good also.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:47 PM
TD Hornets!

All tied at 31 14:00 4Q

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 06:49 PM
Richmond better resurrect one of their running backs or this game is over

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:52 PM
Go for it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:53 PM
Whew, the ref coming in from the Richmond side gave a generous spot...

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:53 PM
That ref at the top of the screen is drunk if that is where he thought the spot was.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:54 PM
That ref at the top of the screen is drunk if that is where he thought the spot was.

thought the exact same thing!!!

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:55 PM
Wow.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 06:55 PM
I don't think he ever possessed the ball....

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 06:56 PM
He is not moving. Not good.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he ever possessed the ball....

I agree. It was slipping and sliding in his arms the entire time.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 07:01 PM
This game is just sloppy as hell.

Winterborn
December 3rd, 2022, 07:02 PM
Another interception.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:03 PM
Looked like he caught it to me...

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 07:04 PM
If Richmond wins this game, I think that defense has a chance to handle UIW.

Winterborn
December 3rd, 2022, 07:04 PM
This game is just sloppy as hell.That's an understatement.

dewey
December 3rd, 2022, 07:05 PM
What a terrible throw by the Sacramento State QB. I know the weather is bad but boy the Hornet play calling is bad. Did the Hornet RB do something to get in the doghouse?

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:08 PM
Not even close on the FG attempt...yikes, this second half has been messy....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 07:09 PM
Udenski taking a bubble bath out there

slippery soap

The Kicker
December 3rd, 2022, 07:09 PM
who is going to get the big play? conditions are just getting worse one big play might seal this game

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:13 PM
who is going to get the big play? conditions are just getting worse one big play might seal this game

Sac State changes their QB and strikes on a big play!

Winterborn
December 3rd, 2022, 07:13 PM
Sac St. Touchdown.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 07:14 PM
If Sac State wins and the weather is good next week, I am calling the over/under against UIW at 120.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:21 PM
Great punt for the Spiders! Defense needs a stop...although their offense has done nothing this quarter...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:29 PM
Richmond ball....I can't see them executing well enough to put together a TD drive....they need a big play...

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2022, 07:34 PM
Very proud of Richmond repping the CAA, tough loss. ****ty conditions got crappy at the end. Gave all the number 2 seed could handle. Makes me feel better about W&M moving forward as well

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2022, 07:34 PM
Sac State holds on 4th down! Udzinksi did not look good throwing the ball in the second half. No zip, just blah....

I like UIW next week The Hornets don't seem like a true #2 seed imo.

rtzlunar
December 3rd, 2022, 07:37 PM
Russ is consistent in the playoffs. Just like when he coached at Chattanooga he wins a home game then loses a 1 possession games on the road. At least he got Chattanooga in the playoffs while he was here. Hadn’t been since he left.

kdinva
December 3rd, 2022, 07:38 PM
Sac State holds on 4th down! Udzinksi did not look good throwing the ball in the second half. No zip, just blah....

agree: reece looked like he was trying to throw a basketball down the field.....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 07:45 PM
Another very entertaining slop fest game

Richmond is a mystery to a lot of the AGS fans but I think they made a Positive impression even with a loss

ncspiderfan
December 3rd, 2022, 07:52 PM
Congrats to the Hornets. GL going forward.

Let's go Tribe.

ncspiderfan
December 3rd, 2022, 07:55 PM
Another very entertaining slop fest game

Richmond is a mystery to a lot of the AGS fans but I think they made a Positive impression even with a loss

Maybe so C-hen. Glad for the seniors getting to playoffs, we had some that hung tough through some down years as Huesman rebuilt from the mess that got left, which Hens fans well understand.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2022, 08:05 PM
Maybe so C-hen. Glad for the seniors getting to playoffs, we had some that hung tough through some down years as Huesman rebuilt from the mess that got left, which Hens fans well understand.

and word is Rocco going to VMI

ncspiderfan
December 3rd, 2022, 08:39 PM
and word is Rocco going to VMI

Someone posted the article on Spider board it is official it would seem.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2022, 10:12 PM
Richmond played their asses off and with a couple of breaks (or better officiating) here or there could have won.