PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ Delaware

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Big.. big game in the CAA this week.. the statistical match up...

points per game -
UD 39.5 JMU 32.6

points allowed per game -
UD 21.9 JMU 19.1

pass yrds per game -
UD 305 JMU 177

pass yrds allowed per game -
UD 212 JMU 173

rush yrds per game -
UD 178 JMU 229

rush yrds allowed per game -
UD 124 JMU 131

total offense per game -
UD 483 JMU 406

total defense per game -
UD 337 JMU 305

turnovers -
UD +2 JMU -1

sacks -
UD 20 JMU 12

sacks allowed -
UD 13 JMU 5

3rd down eff. offense -
UD 53.7% JMU 45.8%

3rd down eff. defense -
UD 41.2% JMU 37.4%

putter
October 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Should be a great game. Delaware coming off their "upset" of Navy and JMU coming off a tough loss to Richmond. If the game was at JMU I would give them the edge because of the urgency with the loss but at Delaware I gotta go with the Hens (after watching the Navy game, Flacco and Cuff definitely impressed).

PurpleandGold
October 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
This game scares the hell out of me, especially after our poor performance last week. I do think our backs are against the wall as nothing is guaranteed, or even probable, at 8-3, so hopefully MM will pull out the stops and open up the offense. If the offense that beat UNH shows up, then we have a chance as I think we have the better defense, even if only slightly. Big home field advantage to UD though. Should be a good game either way.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Is this game on TV?

JMUSaxMRD
October 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I also believe it is family weekend at UD... only if it was homecoming, cause we like to upset homecomings.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
This game scares me too, P&G. Flacco had all the time he needed to sit back in the pocket and pick Navy's defense apart. That's not gonna happen against the Dukes who play solid defense. I see this game coming down to breaks and turnovers and I think the scoring will be lower than most of the Hen's games this year. I see more like a 28-24 type game with the winner being the squad that gets the big turnover or big play on special teams.

PurpleandGold
October 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM
The game is on TV. Comcast Sportsnet at noon.

UDBlueLotFan
I just hope we play better than the last team we played that needed a must win, UNH. xbawlingx Atleast we're at homexthumbsupx If we go back to conservative play calling, it's going to be a long day for us in the Tub.xsmhx

ChickenMan
Is this game on TV?

Comcast SportsNet... Noon

HIU 93
October 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
As much as I root for VA teams, I don't see JMU winning this one. I think it will be close, but I think UD is too strong for them.

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I like, and am rooting for, UD in this one. That win by UNH needs to get better and better...(of course, when UD wins, it makes our losses to JMU and UR hurt a bit more :()...I like UD in a tight one.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Comcast SportsNet... Noon

Noon???xconfusedx What are you guys doing to me.
I thought it was at 7. I was thinking I could watch it after going to the UNH game. It would really make my day if you could play it at 7....Would you look into that?:D

No, really, why noon? I thought you played your home game at night.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
UD just has too many weapons & all of those weapons are healthy for the 1st time in 3 years & cranking right now. Cuff historically has just killed JMU & made even their best defensive players, Lezotte especially, look silly. UD spreads the ball around very well. I expect JMU to try to pressure Flacco which is the only way they can stay close.

I've seen JMU play twice ('Nova & UR) & they look like a dink & dunk kinda offense that will throw an occassional home run ball. Lot of read option game with Landers keeping the ball or handing off.

Bottom line: Payback is a bitch, it's in a frenzied Tub, UD by 3. 3 scores, not 3 points.

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM
UD just has too many weapons & all of those weapons are healthy for the 1st time in 3 years & cranking right now. Cuff historically has just killed JMU & made even their best defensive players, Lezotte especially, look silly. UD spreads the ball around very well. I expect JMU to try to pressure Flacco which is the only way they can stay close.

I've seen JMU play twice ('Nova & UR) & they look like a dink & dunk kinda offense that will throw an occassional home run ball. Lot of read option game with Landers keeping the ball or handing off.

Bottom line: Payback is a bitch, it's in a frenzied Tub, UD by 3. 3 scores, not 3 points.

xrolleyesx
From your UNH prediction:

Interesting to see so many JMu & UMass guys on this boards & others picking UNH. I think there is a rooting interest there & I think it's because they're scared. UD wins this one & it's not that close.

Hope you're just as accurate!!xthumbsupx

Actually, I have to admit that I'll be pleasantly surprised if JMU pulls this one out at the Tub, but I don't anticipate a blowout by either team.

JMUSaxMRD
October 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Is comcast sportsnet available to be watched on the internet? I really want to watch this game, but I don't have the channel.

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
After what, in retrospect, looked like struggles (albeit, wins) at Northeastern and Rhode Island, and then losing to Richmond, I don't see JMU pulling this one out. I think they'll go back and forth for 2 or 3 quarters, but UD will pull this one out by about 7 or 10. xsmhx

I hope I'm wrong. :o

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
This thread is funny to me for one reason: neither team's fans want to talk smack whatsoever. (EDIT: except for bluehenbillk) That is a sign of great respect among fans and their teams and understanding what is truly at stake here.

JMU fans often like to say, "Will Mickey Matthews open up the play book, or just run it up the middle?" In my experience as a big time JMU fan, MM does nothing very different from week to week. Rather, he sets out his game plan for each and every game starting in April. The players get to know the playbook, and as the QB reads the defense there in the no huddle, an audible is called from the sidelines (probably often a "fake" audible as well). What is different from week to week is the ability of opposing defenses to stop the Dukes. I generally like our chances against the Delaware defense, but will our defense play as stout as it did vs. UR? Which team will create more turnovers? And special teams could be the story by the end of the game as well. Many intriguing matchups in this one!

JMU keys to an upset:
1. Disrupt Flacco! Get to him, knock him around and out of the pocket even if you cannot get the sack.
2. Offensive line has got to do a better job of blocking. No one mentions the blocking issues we had vs. Richmond on offense. This sight troubled me more than anything, although trying to watch a 5'6 160lbs. RB run between the tackles made me chuckle between the tears... xnonono2x
3. Rodney = JMU. Sadly, we are what he does. He simply needs to manage the game mistake free. We win when he does this. He'll get his big plays, but those plays are negated if JMU turns the ball over.
4. Cuff - yep, Omar Cuff. Hopefully we can limit Cuff to 100 yds. like Hightower. If so, Delaware will have much more trouble passing this week than they did vs. Navy.
5. TOs and Field Position. Speaks for itself. Our K is 9-10 on FGs and we have a punter who kicked a 50 yarder when called on. This could be a huge asset for the Dukes in a close one. Too bad we didn't get that extra 10-15 yards to pull off the comeback vs. Richmond... xoopsx

I'll be there, and I'm looking forward to a great game. A lot at stake in this one! No predictions other than the obvious - the team with the better focus wins this one. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
After what, in retrospect, looked like struggles (albeit, wins) at Northeastern and Rhode Island, and then losing to Richmond, I don't see JMU pulling this one out. I think they'll go back and forth for 2 or 3 quarters, but UD will pull this one out by about 7 or 10. xsmhx

I hope I'm wrong. :o

Well, they could get an easy win just by playing Montana, right? xeyebrowx ;) I mean, all they'd have to do is switch to the Big Sky, and then they'd win the auto-auto every year, right? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

PS: I think UD wins in a walkover.

89Hen
October 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
This game scares the hell out of me... Should be a good game either way.
I edited so I can just cosign. xrulesx xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Only in September. Too hot to play in the afternoon in Sept, much nicer sitting in the sun in Oct/Nov. I will hopefully be coming up from the beach for the game. xthumbsupx

Blue Hen Nation
October 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Well, they could get an easy win just by playing Montana, right? xeyebrowx ;) I mean, all they'd have to do is switch to the Big Sky, and then they'd win the auto-auto every year, right? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I hope you're right, but I think it's going to be tight.

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Hey....uh....F U buddy!!!! :D

I won't be surprised if UD wins in a walkover. They've been rolling over opponents and winning big games. JMU hasn't (except for a couple thumpers and the UNH win). And they have to big offensive weapons, Flacco and Cuff, to JMU's one, Landers. :(

I forget...wasn't this voted the game of the week by AGS??

JMUSaxMRD
October 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Anyone know where I can watch the game in Harrisonburg, does campus get CSN? My apartment complex does not.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Noon???xconfusedx What are you guys doing to me.
I thought it was at 7. I was thinking I could watch it after going to the UNH game. It would really make my day if you could play it at 7....Would you look into that?:D

Most of the TV games seem set up for noon & 3:30 so they can do a double header. It's great when I'm staying home, but I hate that I can only see 1/2 of a noon game otherwise, even if I cut out 1/2 the tailgating. xmadx

GannonFan
October 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Most of the TV games seem set up for noon & 3:30 so they can do a double header. It's great when I'm staying home, but I hate that I can only see 1/2 of a noon game otherwise, even if I cut out 1/2 the tailgating. xmadx

This game would be noon even if it wasn't on TV - Homecoming and Parent's Weekend (the latter of which is this weekend) at UD are always at noon - just means two breakfast tailgates every year.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
This game would be noon even if it wasn't on TV - Homecoming and Parent's Weekend (the latter of which is this weekend) at UD are always at noon - just means two breakfast tailgates every year.

Yup, Scrapplefest VI!!!!

henfan
October 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
JMU's defense is vastly better than what we saw out of the Middies last week. Don't let that score deceive you. This is the best defense the Hens will have seen so far. Should be another UD-JMU battle.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Our Homecoming is Sat at 3:30. All our games used to be at 1:00 but we took a poll and large majority (ie partying students) prefer 3:30. This year only W&M is at noon. I don't know if that is because is so late in the season or because of TV.

I must be getting old I prefer the early games, I can get a lot more done after those than I can before the late ones.

GannonFan
October 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
This thread is funny to me for one reason: neither team's fans want to talk smack whatsoever. (EDIT: except for bluehenbillk) That is a sign of great respect among fans and their teams and understanding what is truly at stake here.

I have no doubt that if JMU had won last week against Richmond (and looked better in the wins against NU and URI) and UD didn't have that big win against Navy that plenty of JMU fans would have been talking smack by now. The silence from the JMU-smack contingent is more a reflection of uncertainty about their team than it is about respect for UD or its fans. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Our Homecoming is Sat at 3:30. All our games used to be at 1:00 but we took a poll and large majority (ie partying students) prefer 3:30. This year only W&M is at noon. I don't know if that is because is so late in the season or because of TV.

I must be getting old I prefer the early games, I can get a lot more done after those than I can before the late ones.

UD goes with the noon starts because it can then limit the amount of alcohol comsumption and because there are plenty of events around campus that tie in better with the earlier football starting time. Same with Parent's Day. Football's just one part of the day for parents and families in those cases. I prefer the football, but I can see why it is what it is.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
UD goes with the noon starts because it can then limit the amount of alcohol comsumption and because there are plenty of events around campus that tie in better with the earlier football starting time. Same with Parent's Day. Football's just one part of the day for parents and families in those cases. I prefer the football, but I can see why it is what it is.

I don't understand xconfusedx what do football and campus activities have to do with each other? xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have no doubt that if JMU had won last week against Richmond (and looked better in the wins against NU and URI) and UD didn't have that big win against Navy that plenty of JMU fans would have been talking smack by now. The silence from the JMU-smack contingent is more a reflection of uncertainty about their team than it is about respect for UD or its fans. xthumbsupx

Hey now! I don't think I've ever been disrespectful to UD or its fans (except possibly on the smack board:p).

I don't usually ever talk about fans on this board, but if I thought we were going to win I would say it. In this case I think we've got a tough road (which is of course because of our loss and UD's good win and the fact we're at the Tub). Is that respect? I don't know, seems like logic to me.

GannonFan
October 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hey now! I don't think I've ever been disrespectful to UD or its fans (except possibly on the smack board:p).

I don't usually ever talk about fans on this board, but if I thought we were going to win I would say it. In this case I think we've got a tough road (which is of course because of our loss and UD's good win and the fact we're at the Tub). Is that respect? I don't know, seems like logic to me.

In no way did I mean to demean those longtime JMU fans, but even you have to admit there's been quite a lot of bandwagon jumping of people who didn't follow JMU football until 2004, and late 2004 at that. The absence of their chirping of late has been a welcome relief. xpeacex

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2007, 02:37 PM
In no way did I mean to demean those longtime JMU fans, but even you have to admit there's been quite a lot of bandwagon jumping of people who didn't follow JMU football until 2004, and late 2004 at that. The absence of their chirping of late has been a welcome relief. xpeacex

To that I must say...

Amen.xoopsx xoopsx

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM

I think the 'JMU chirping' really coincides with when CAAzone shuts down (which seemed to happen quite a bit this year xconfusedx ). When that happens, they flock from CAAZone to AGS. Otherwise, there aren't that many continual JMU supporters on this board...about 10 or so from my recollection. :)

89Hen
October 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
CAAzone CAAZone
Careful, you almost said it three times. xeekx The CAAZ..you know, is probably a good place for other schools. I always hated it for UD though... too many basketball posters. And heaven forbid you said anything bad about our last, horrible coach... they'd jump all over you. I can't remember the last time I posted there. xcoffeex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 30th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I think a majority of JMU fans would agree that we are most similar as an academic institution, as an athletic department, and as the general "culture" of the types of students we like to have to the University of Delaware as compared to all other rivals in the CAA.

Hens fans have had plenty of "mouths" in the past as well. Yes, many of the fan base that posts online is young, so what you hear from the JMU faithful is often a lot more 18-25 speak than it is aged appreciation for what our respective schools have done.

Anyway, I've always had fun ripping on Delaware when the opportunity is there, but we've heard the same from UD fans. Whether UD fans like to admit it or not, JMU-UD is turning into a rivalry over the years. No, it will never be Villanova. UD will never be UR or ODU (who were JMU's more traditional basketball rivals until the collapse of the program about 10 years ago...). Yet, today and looking forward I see many years ahead where JMU-UD games will matter more often than any other match ups.

Best of luck Saturday. I hope your hens oversleep like our Dukes did last week. Noon starts absolutely suck. Horrible horribel horrible. Give me 6pm starts and a full day of tailgating! GO DUKES!

appstate38
October 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I will be following this one closely.... Should be a barn burner. Lots of Offense and just enough D for someone to win a close one.

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Best of luck Saturday. I hope your hens oversleep like our Dukes did last week. Noon starts absolutely suck. Horrible horribel horrible. Give me 6pm starts and a full day of tailgating! GO DUKES!

The Hens received their wakeup call a few weeks ago at New Hampshire.. I expect that UD will be wide awake and ready to play at noon on Saturday.

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Careful, you almost said it three times. xeekx The CAAZ..you know, is probably a good place for other schools. I always hated it for UD though... too many basketball posters. And heaven forbid you said anything bad about our last, horrible coach... they'd jump all over you. I can't remember the last time I posted there. xcoffeex

Not a fan either. It's a very angry place. xnodx xsmhx

PurpleandGold
October 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Funny you should mention the dukes oversleeping, I was tailgating at 7:00 AM and watched them all roll up between 8 and 8:30.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM
The Hens received their wakeup call a few weeks ago at New Hampshire.. I expect that UD will be wide awake and ready to play at noon on Saturday.

I agree the atmosphere around the program right now & inside the Tub late Saturday morning should have the team wide awake. Early tailgate is in store for Saturday!!

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I agree the atmosphere around the program right now & inside the Tub late Saturday morning should have the team wide awake. Early tailgate is in store for Saturday!!

I remember going with the JMU Marching band to a game at UD about 11-12 years ago…it was an early game, and the place was definitely rocking. Or maybe not…I was pretty rocked myself since I drank through the night. But I don’t think there is any worry about EITHER team being caught off-guard here. Both teams know the implications. xnodx

Saluki_man
October 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM
JMU has the best D that the Hens have faced so far. So the stats for Delaware a little bit inflated due to the easier conference schedule. This game will be decided by turnovers. I've gotta take the better D in this one.

JMU 21
Delaware 17

blur2005
October 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
The only thing JMU has to do to win is stop Cuff.

:( :( :( :(

Then again, JMU managed to KIND OF contain Hightower (i.e. he didn't go for 175 and 2 or 3 scores), but blew it anyway against Richmond.

Rodney just needs to get into a rhythm - as always, JMU will succeed if they manage to run the ball fairly well, which then opens up the passing game.

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM
The only thing JMU has to do to win is stop Cuff.

right... no need to be concerned with the 300+ yrds per game Flacco is averaging in the air... ;)

Henwatcher
October 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I see this game going to the team with the best defense. I know Landers has been somewhat inconsistent, but I feel the UD defense will not contain him. On the other hand, I think JMU will be able to make things difficult for Flacco. UD's offensive coordinator called the game of his life against Navy. This JMU defense is much better than Navy. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I believe JMU wins by at least 13.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
LANDERS..IS MICKEY'S MONKEY....HE'S SPAZZ-MATIC WHEN DEY TRY BAH AIR....LEZOTTE CAIN'T EVEN HITCH-HIKE NOW..........DOOKIE LOGS ARE DINGED........ IFIN' DUH HENS....GOT OVERAH DUH NAVY W.....AN' AREN'T STILL TAKIN' BOWS........WHIFF UH FURIOUS.....CAPACITY CROWD O' BLUE/GOLD THUNDER-STIX.....BLUEBIRDS RULE....WE OWE 'EM FO' LAST YEAR.........xhypedx....AWK!

JMU Duke Dog
October 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
About playing Delaware this weekend, JMU's Tony LeZotte said, "We have to come out with a different intensity or they’re going to beat us by 50 points. That’s how good they are.”

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13039&CHID=3

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I see this game going to the team with the best defense. I know Landers has been somewhat inconsistent, but I feel the UD defense will not contain him. On the other hand, I think JMU will be able to make things difficult for Flacco. UD's offensive coordinator called the game of his life against Navy. This JMU defense is much better than Navy. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I believe JMU wins by at least 13.

No way. Unless
-JMU wins the turnover battle (possible)
-JMU defense brings their best game of the year (possible)
-Mickey Mathhews and Durden quit trying to run a listed 5'7"/160 lb tailback between the tackles xconfusedx xsmhx (possible). (Bolton had 10 carries for 35 yards).
7 scholorship tailbacks. Holloman out for season, 1 being redshirted. Besides Bolton have 4 others listed 195-205, 3 have played in just about every game since Holloman went down. Those other 3 only combined for 5 carries for 17 yards against UR. Sullivan, (2 carries 8 yards) who's probably still not 100% fom an ankle injury, didn't get another carry after he fumbled. Yancey only got 3 carries for 9 yards (he had a 65 yarder against URI (which he fumbled at the end of). Noble got zero carries. I don't see JMU winning if Bolton is double digits in the carries department.
-LC Baker is close to 100% (not likely)- he against Nova, missed NU, limited to only punt returns against URI, bye week, then limited mostly to punt returns against UR.
-Landers plays one of his best if not best game of the year after is worst (possible)

To many things have to right for the Dukes. I'm hoping JMU stays within 4-7 points. Wouldn't be shocked if JMU won, but pleasantly surprised.

BDKJMU
October 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Missing Weapons Haunting JMU
Without Holloman, Baker, Dukes struggle
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13011&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University

JMU Missing Firepower (Commentary)
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13013&CHID=3

Matthews Cancels Day Off
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13039&CHID=3

blukeys
October 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I think a majority of JMU fans would agree that we are most similar as an academic institution, as an athletic department, and as the general "culture" of the types of students we like to have to the University of Delaware as compared to all other rivals in the CAA.

Hens fans have had plenty of "mouths" in the past as well. Yes, many of the fan base that posts online is young, so what you hear from the JMU faithful is often a lot more 18-25 speak than it is aged appreciation for what our respective schools have done.

Anyway, I've always had fun ripping on Delaware when the opportunity is there, but we've heard the same from UD fans. Whether UD fans like to admit it or not, JMU-UD is turning into a rivalry over the years. No, it will never be Villanova. UD will never be UR or ODU (who were JMU's more traditional basketball rivals until the collapse of the program about 10 years ago...). Yet, today and looking forward I see many years ahead where JMU-UD games will matter more often than any other match ups.

I agree. The rivalry has been spirited yet largely respectful. There are definitely plenty of verbose posters on both sides and in the end we both have other schools we love to beat. From what I have seen both schools have plenty of fans who love to party and tail gate and have a good time. You can't beat that!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
JMU must win to advance to playoffs.........and win the following two weeks....which is not a given.

A JMU win on Saturday would put Delaware in a must win situation against Richmond the following week. The season is far from over.........

Go Dukes

YoUDeeMan
October 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM

The game against Navy will help our D players against JMU. xnodx

I liked the way our schedule lined up this year. Now, we just have to go out and play our game. xthumbsupx

LacesOut
October 31st, 2007, 08:33 AM
UD pulls away in the 4th quarter to win by 10-14 points. But since this will be my first UD game in a few years, watch the Hens probably lose! UGH.

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM
UD pulls away in the 4th quarter to win by 10-14 points. But since this will be my first UD game in a few years, watch the Hens probably lose! UGH.
xeyebrowx :( Uh-oh... can't be worse than me in 2004... I only made it to three regular season games and the Hens went 8-3... guess which games I went to. xeekx xnodx People on gohens.net were threatening me when I announced I was going to the first round game against Lafayette.

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2007, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking UD by 8. Delaware is peaking at the right time, and JMU is coming off a tough Spider bite.

JMU Duke Dog
October 31st, 2007, 09:17 AM
Saturday, Delaware beat Navy 59-52, a tape Matthews said was fitting viewing material this Halloween week.

“It’s like watching horror movies watching them,” Matthews said.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13057&CHID=3

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM
Saturday, Delaware beat Navy 59-52, a tape Matthews said was fitting viewing material this Halloween week.

One minor mistake though...

"The Blue Hens have the toughest road. Delaware’s final three opponents — JMU, Richmond and Villanova — have a 17-7 record, including 11-4 in the CAA, and only one of its last three games will be in Newark.

Richmond falls in the middle. With games against Villanova, Delaware and William & Mary, the Spiders face teams with a 16-8 overall record and 9-6 league mark. Working in Richmond’s favor, though, is that games with Villanova and W&M are at home. Only the Spiders’ Nov. 10 game at Delaware is on the road."

The Hens play JMU and Richmond in Newark. Only Villanova is on the "road"... a place where Hen fans will outnumber the home team. xnodx xthumbsupx

BTW, I like MM a lot more now...

"Matthews even compared Cuff to former Villanova — and current Philadelphia Eagles — running back Bryan Westbrook.

“Oh, I think Cuff’s the best back in the league,” Matthews said. “I don’t think there’s anyone that would argue with that. He’s Westbrook-good.”

He must have read my post here yesterday. :p

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 09:41 AM

from the 'Lou Holtz' school of propaganda... :p

LacesOut
October 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM
xeyebrowx :( Uh-oh... can't be worse than me in 2004... I only made it to three regular season games and the Hens went 8-3... guess which games I went to. xeekx xnodx People on gohens.net were threatening me when I announced I was going to the first round game against Lafayette.

LOL Wait, did UD win that game against Lafayette?? I can't seem to recall.

If they do lose this Saturday, I promise not to go to the Richmond game.

vaughtdj
October 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
I think JMU wins this one for two reasons:

1- Our defense will be flying all over the field. Cuff will be limited just like JMU did against Richmond. Flacco will then be the key guy that Del will have to turn to and while he is talented, I don't think he's felt the kinda pressure that JMU can and will bring. The only reason our pass rush has not been statistically good so far has been because most of the opponents we have faced havbe fielded mobile qbs who have been able to scramble out and are dangerous to rush in the first place. Flacco will not be able to do that, the defense will bring heat most of the game, and Flacco will be hunted down in the pocket.
2- Our offense will finally open up (will have to!) much like it did to UD last year, and score in the 30s to 40s. I know, I know, how can you say that when JMU has played so flat the last three games? Well, the reason has not been because our playmakers have not been showing up. Instead it has been because the JMU coaches have decided to completly ignore all of our playmakers and stick to very conservative playcalling. One rare game where JMU did open up was UNH. And look at that result...

With those two things in mind, I predict 31-24 JMU.

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM
JMU's ability or inability to get to Flacco will be a key.. but JMU has only eight sacks in nine games.. not impressive regardless of the mobility of their opponent's QBs. I doubt JMU can or willl sell out to get to Flacco due to the Omar Cuff factor.. as they have to stop Cuff.. before they can get after Flacco.

GannonFan
October 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Getting to Flacco and containing Omar are not two easily done things, especially to do simultaneously. JMU won't be able to do both and do them both well, so something will have to give. This isn't the JMU defense of last year, this year's version is just not as good. And don't forget the playing on grass factor as well - JMU has struggled on natural fields so far this year.

Punchykky
October 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM
I like JMU a lot,,,,but UD is very, very strong. And they are playing JMU at UD, too? I don't know if JMU is gonna pull this one out.

BDKJMU
October 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
JMU's ability or inability to get to Flacco will be a key.. but JMU has only eight sacks in nine games.. not impressive regardless of the mobility of their opponent's QBs. I doubt JMU can or willl sell out to get to Flacco due to the Omar Cuff factor.. as they have to stop Cuff.. before they can get after Flacco.

8 sacks in only 9 games...xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Chickenman, where did you learn to count? 6 wins plus 2 losses = 8 games. Maybe in Delaware schools or at UD they teach 6 +2 =9. Why don't you bother to look up the stats- it only takes a minute or 2, and quit making stuff up. JMU has 12 sacks in 8 games.

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM
LOL Wait, did UD win that game against Lafayette?? I can't seem to recall.
No, they won that one before losing the 21 point lead at W&M the next week. xbawlingx And no, I did not go to W'burg that time. :p

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think JMU wins this one for two reasons:

1- Our defense will be flying all over the field. Cuff will be limited just like JMU did against Richmond.

2- Our offense will finally open up (will have to!) much like it did to UD last year, and score in the 30s to 40s.
1. xconfusedx The half of football I watched Hightower was running at will and Cuff is a better runner than Hightower IMO (JMU has had FITS with Cuff) AND UR won the game. xeyebrowx

2. I expect you to score in the 30's to 40's but that aint gonna be enough to win the game. xsmhx xpeacex

BDKJMU
October 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Matthews on Hightower:

Mickey Matthews arrived 20 minutes late for his weekly press conference Monday. When he finally plunked himself down in a chair, he put his hands over his face and then slowly dragged them down, over cheeks, nose and mouth and exhaled.

Why the forlorn look?

“I’ve been watching tape of Hightower,” the James Madison football coach said.

“If we do not tackle him, we’ll get beat,” Matthews said. “If we do not play our best defensive game of the year, we’re getting beat, because he’s a very good back.”

“If we tackle as poorly as we did against Maurice Murray, Hightower will have 300 yards against us,” Matthews said. “The second thing, if we allow an [84]-yard touchdown run like we did against Rhode Island, Hightower will have 400 yards against us.”
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12910&CHID=3

Matthews on Cuff:

Cuff is averaging 125.5 yards per game rushing and has scored a league-high 28 touchdowns — 24 on the ground.

Matthews even compared Cuff to former Villanova — and current Philadelphia Eagles — running back Bryan Westbrook.

“Oh, I think Cuff’s the best back in the league,” Matthews said. “I don’t think there’s anyone that would argue with that. He’s Westbrook-good.”

LacesOut
October 31st, 2007, 12:41 PM
No, they won that one before losing the 21 point lead at W&M the next week. xbawlingx And no, I did not go to W'burg that time. :p

Got it.

Hey a little off topic, but real quick, do you think UD has to win it all this year (or go as deep as possible in the playoffs), as next year they lose both Cuff and Flacco? I mean they do have a great opportunity this season.

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM
8 sacks in only 9 games...xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Chickenman, where did you learn to count? 6 wins plus 2 losses = 8 games. Maybe in Delaware schools or at UD they teach 6 +2 =9. Why don't you bother to look up the stats- it only takes a minute or 2, and quit making stuff up. JMU has 12 sacks in 8 games.

https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm

My error.. but the JMU pass rush.. 12 sacks in 8 games seems very 'mediocre' at best.. UD has 20 in 8 games and I don't consider the Hens to have a great pass rush. For JMU to have success vs UD they will have to pressure Flacco and at the same time.. contain Cuff.. much easier said then done.

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Got it.

Hey a little off topic, but real quick, do you think UD has to win it all this year (or go as deep as possible in the playoffs), as next year they lose both Cuff and Flacco? I mean they do have a great opportunity this season.
Yes.

Kinda strange to think about, but this year the Hens returned 10 of 11 starters on offense and D was the question mark. Next year they return 20 of 22 from the D two deep (Kametz and Prindle are the only two seniors). So if the Hens are to be good next year, it may be because of D. xeyebrowx

On offense the Hens lose Flacco, Cuff, Byrne, Beverly and Benson. Losing three linemen, your stud QB and stud RB are going to make it tough. The only peek I got at Scanlon (QB) was in the Monmouth game and I was very scared for next year, especially opening up at Maryland.

BDKJMU
October 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
1. xconfusedx The half of football I watched Hightower was running at will and Cuff is a better runner than Hightower IMO (JMU has had FITS with Cuff) AND UR won the game. xeyebrowx

2. I expect you to score in the 30's to 40's but that aint gonna be enough to win the game. xsmhx xpeacex

1. Hightower ran at will in one of the halves against JMU? Don't think so. I was at the game. Hightower had in the 1st half 15 carries for 56 yards, 3.7 a carry. In the 2nd half he had 13 carries for 46 yards, 3.5 a carry. Neither one of those comes close to qualifying as "running at will". He finished with 28 carries, 102 yards, 3.6 a carry. Now which half were you refering to when you said "The half of football I watched Hightower was running at will"?

2. If JMU gets in the 40s they'll win no doubt. But I DON'T expect JMU to get in the 40s. If JMU gets in the 30s they might win. If JMU scores in the 20s its HIGHLY likely they lose, possibly by more than a TD. I expect JMU to score in the 20s to 30s. I'm surprised you think JMU will be in the 30s to 40s.

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Getting to Flacco and containing Omar are not two easily done things, especially to do simultaneously. JMU won't be able to do both and do them both well, so something will have to give. This isn't the JMU defense of last year, this year's version is just not as good. And don't forget the playing on grass factor as well - JMU has struggled on natural fields so far this year.

This is what scares me the most. Against UNH we really only had to worry about Santos and against Richmond we really only had to worry about Hightower (AND we lost!). Here, there's two superstars in the backfield. If you say "okay, we'll focus on one and make the other one beat us" guess what, HE WILL.

If our defense isn't at the top of its game, we're in trouble. Anything less and we'll need a couple of mistakes to have a chance.

89Hen
October 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM
1. Hightower ran at will in one of the halves against JMU? Don't think so. I was at the game. Hightower had in the 1st half 15 carries for 56 yards, 3.7 a carry. In the 2nd half he had 13 carries for 46 yards, 3.5 a carry. Neither one of those comes close to qualifying as "running at will". He finished with 28 carries, 102 yards, 3.6 a carry. Now which half were you refering to when you said "The half of football I watched Hightower was running at will"?
The first half when UR was up 17-0 and had scoring drives of 70, 59 and 35 yards (yes the score came after the fumble, but the 35 yard drive was responsible for it). xpeacex

Oldhen
October 31st, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think it'll come down to this:

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/staff/ciarrocca.html

...versus this:

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71030&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=795619&Q_SEASON=2007

...with the idea that one of these is actually going to gameplan in a way that uses their talent best. Ciarrocca has a long track record of unimaginative and conservative offensive planning, as well as baffling game-day playcalling, that drives the UD fans just as nuts as Durden does with the fans at JMU (though I think you can make the argument that Durden is actually more a frontman for his HC than Ciarrocca).

Last weeks games for each were a study in contrasts. Ciarrocca had his best and most aggressive gameplan in years. They actually threw downfield. Durden (or Matthews, you pick 'em) stayed within the bounds of their philosophy, and were just a shade too conservative to catch up in 60 minutes.

I think Ciarrocca (or 'Little KC', as he's sometimes called) has the most to gain by going pedal-to-the-metal. I just like our talent on the offensive side better than JMU's O, at least now that Holloman's sidelined. Little KC comes up with an aggressive, creative gameplan that stretches the field vertically as well as horozontally, we should do well, even against what's probably the best D we'll see in the regular season (though Richmond is impressive, too).

You can make the case that UD is peaking at the right time and will be super-tough at home, but I'm not sure. I think JMU will be pumped and absolutely know what's at stake, so it could well be a wash.

We were in a similar position went we went up to play UNH... their backs were to the wall, and they knew it. They came out breathing fire and absolutely rocked our world. I doubt very seriously that'll happen again, but I expect great intensity and mega-hitting on both sides in what should be an absolute dogfight (with aplogies to Michael Vick).

I like UD in a close one...and hope all injuries are very minor.

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Here's an idea. Could JMU just lose this game but sneeze on Cuff & Flacco in process giving them both the flu for about a week to 10 days? xcoolx Thanks!xthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
October 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM
Here's an idea. Could JMU just lose this game but sneeze on Cuff & Flacco in process giving them both the flu for about a week to 10 days? xcoolx Thanks!xthumbsupx

How about we beat UD and make them so angry they go and beat UR? :)

JmuSkinsfan
October 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cuff is going to be hard to stop, as is Flacco. Hopefully Sco McGee is back from his injury so the secondary is back to full strength. Any JMU fans know why he was out last week?

Either way, like someone said above, if JMU can score in the 40's, they'll win. If they score in the 30's, its going to be 50/50. If they only score in the 20's, I'd give the edge to UD 70/30.

I think its going to be a close game though.

Winner: 38
Loser: 31

Not ready to pick one yet.

mcveyrl
October 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Cuff is going to be hard to stop, as is Flacco. Hopefully Sco McGee is back from his injury so the secondary is back to full strength. Any JMU fans know why he was out last week?

Either way, like someone said above, if JMU can score in the 40's, they'll win. If they score in the 30's, its going to be 50/50. If they only score in the 20's, I'd give the edge to UD 70/30.

I think its going to be a close game though.

Winner: 38
Loser: 31

Not ready to pick one yet.

Scotty had a concussion against Northeastern. I'm assuming it's residual from that.