PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 13, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
November 22nd, 2022, 04:14 PM
Well, it's pretty simple, ten games, ten spots. ;) BTW, it is pretty incredible (and wrong) how even these matchups are (at least according to the AGS Top 25 Poll). Should make for great games, though.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ Alabama State
Grambling @ Southern
#11 Elon @ #10 Furman
#27 St. Francis @ #25 Delaware
#18 Fordham @ #15 New Hampshire
Davidson @ #12 Richmond
#20 North Dakota @ #8 Weber State
#37 Gardner-Webb @ #31 Eastern Kentucky
#16 Idaho @ #17 Southeastern Louisiana
#17 Southeast Missouri State @ #21 Montana

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2022, 04:19 PM
Picked Elon-Furman just to watch certain AGS Furman poster's melt down if they lose.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2022, 05:04 PM
How could it be anything other than the stupid #10 vs. #11 1st round matchup that the Committee ****ed Furman & Elon with…for your ESPN+ viewing & message board engagement pleasure.

#DefundTheCommittee

MTfan4life
November 23rd, 2022, 12:44 AM
Fordham vs. New Hampshire for the win. First team to 70 wins. Maybe. Also, check out the name of the head coach for New Hampshire. Famed Ricky Santos now calls himself Rick Santos. I've always respected Ricky Santos. Going by Rick now is a loss in my book.

MTfan4life
November 23rd, 2022, 12:51 AM
How could it be anything other than the stupid #10 vs. #11 1st round matchup that the Committee ****ed Furman & Elon with…for your ESPN+ viewing & message board engagement pleasure.

#DefundTheCommittee

At least this one has the regional excuse. In 2017, they sent #11 Western Illinois out to #10 Weber State, for really no reason at all.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2022, 02:37 AM
At least this one has the regional excuse. In 2017, they sent #11 Western Illinois out to #10 Weber State, for really no reason at all.
WESTern Illinois is not in the same region of the US as Utah? Who knew?

But…no, they don’t have “the regional excuse.” They matched up 6 Teams (FU, Elon, EKU, G-Webb, Davidson, and Richmond) into 3 games with FU, EKU, and Richmond hosting. Richmond and Elon couldn’t play (same Conf & already played). G-Webb couldn’t play Elon (already played). Richmond and EKU couldn’t ‘match’ because it would add a flight. Those hosts & 3 constraints leave 4 viable options for them to match up the Teams. Richmond, Furman, and Elon are the higher ranked Teams and the other 3 are lower ranked. So…

* Elon could have played @EKU or hosted Davidson
* Furman could have hosted EKU, G-Webb, or Davidson
* Richmond could have hosted G-Webb or Davidson

That spins up to 3 combinations that would have worked without matching up #10 & #11 in Round 1.

#DefundTheCommittee

MR. CHICKEN
November 23rd, 2022, 09:03 AM
Fordham vs. New Hampshire for the win. First team to 70 wins. Maybe. Also, check out the name of the head coach for New Hampshire. Famed Ricky Santos now calls himself Rick Santos. I've always respected Ricky Santos. Going by Rick now is a loss in my book.

AH STARTED CALLIN' HIM RICKETY...UH PLAY ON RICKY....JES' TRYIN' TA GET 'CAT'S GOAT.........HE DID DIS TA DISS ME.......AH'M SURE OF IT.....AWK!

WATCH DIS THING.....BE 9-6.........'CAUSE WE GOT OURAH CALCULATORS.....AT DUH READY...........BRAWK!

wapiti
November 23rd, 2022, 10:28 AM
I saw 3 games as the best.
Elon @ Furman
Idaho @ SELA
SEMO @ Montana

I choose the one with the highest rated teams

gofurman
November 24th, 2022, 01:36 AM
I hope Samford is ok as a SoCon fan. their all everything QB (rated top 10 in FCS qbs) may have broken his hand in 4th quarter vs Mercer. The last game. Now that would stink. Hope he is ok

MTfan4life
November 24th, 2022, 02:39 AM
* Elon could have played @EKU or hosted Davidson
* Furman could have hosted EKU, G-Webb, or Davidson
* Richmond could have hosted G-Webb or Davidson

No. The committee uses the 400 mile rule. Once they tabbed Furman, EKU, and Richmond as the home teams. Elon going to Furman was the guaranteed result. Check the history, EKU is almost always getting a home game. They always submit a massive bid. They even played James Madison at home one year in the first round. The only road teams within that 400 mile distance to EKU are Gardner-Webb or Davidson. Once that matchup is gone, the only team left for Richmond is the Davidson/GW not chosen because Richmond already played Elon. The only ones remaining are Elon and Furman. It's actually quite simple.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2022, 06:21 AM
No. The committee uses the 400 mile rule. Once they tabbed Furman, EKU, and Richmond as the home teams. Elon going to Furman was the guaranteed result. Check the history, EKU is almost always getting a home game. They always submit a massive bid. They even played James Madison at home one year in the first round. The only road teams within that 400 mile distance to EKU are Gardner-Webb or Davidson. Once that matchup is gone, the only team left for Richmond is the Davidson/GW not chosen because Richmond already played Elon. The only ones remaining are Elon and Furman. It's actually quite simple.
Our conclusions differ because we differ on 2 premises. Those 2 premises are bolded below and in your post above. If your premises are correct, your conclusion is correct. If not, FUBeAR’s conclusion is correct.

1) The manual and other NCAA info seem to indicate Teams are PAIRED according to geographic proximity FIRST. THEN, the 1st round site is selected, BETWEEN THE 2 PAIRED Teams, based on their respective bids (and, allegedly, other criteria). So, if that is correct, the Committee SHOULD NOT have “tabbed Furman, EKU, and Richmond as the home teams” BEFORE determining the pairings.

2) So…to determine ‘least cumulative total distance w/fewest flights’ when analyzing geographic proximity, and plotting the locations of the 16 1st round Teams, it kinda jumps out that, if you can, you need to build 3 pairing/games in the ‘west’ (UM, UI, SEMO, SELA, Weber), 2 pairings/games in the NE (UNH, DEL, SFU, Fordham), and 3 pairings/games in the SE (EKU, Rich, FU, G-W, DAV, Elon)…our focus here… The Committee was also able to see this and got at least 1 thing right.

The city limits of Elon, NC & Richmond, KY are within 400 miles apart…so…that works…barely
Thus, the only mileage restricted pairing is Richmond, VA to Richmond, KY
Already mentioned Elon can’t play G-W or Richmond

3) PAIRINGS that work…

a) Option 1
- Elon vs. EKU
- G-W vs. Furman
- Davidson vs. Richmond

b) Option 2
- Elon vs. EKU
- Davidson vs. Furman
- Gardner-Webb vs. Richmond

c) Option 3
- Elon vs. Davidson
- Furman vs. EKU
- Richmond vs. Gardner-Webb

d) Option 4
- Elon vs. Furman
- EKU vs. Gardner-Webb
- Richmond vs. Davidson

From a competitive balance standpoint, fewest miles standpoint, and even meeting your ‘home site “tabbed” prior to pairings’ requirement, Option 1 was clearly the best choice.

Option 2 is fine, a bit more miles than Option 1

Option 3 is a less desirable from a competitive balance standpoint and may be more total miles than the prior 2 options

Option 4 is STUPID.

The Committee picked Option 4.

#DefundTheCommittee

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2022, 06:46 AM
....IFIN' DUH COMMITTEE...HADN'T PAIRED YOUSE...WHIFF ELON....YOU WOODN'T BE GAME UH WEEK.......xsmhx......SO DERE'S DAT.....xrolleyesx....BRAWK!

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2022, 06:49 AM
....IFIN' DUH COMMITTEE...HADN'T PAIRED YOUSE...WHIFF ELON....YOU WOODN'T BE GAME UH WEEK.......xsmhx......SO DERE'S DAT.....xrolleyesx....BRAWK!
True.

Guess FUBeAR can add that to the many things he is Thankful for today.

….speaking of, how are you ensuring no one mistakes you for a turkey today?

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2022, 06:55 AM

....ONE THIN' AH CAN SAY.............."YER FUN FOOBIE".....:p.....BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
November 24th, 2022, 11:25 AM
In calculating mileage, is it city limits to city limits, or school to school? I'm seeing 408ish mi from EKU to Elon. That may have been a factor in eliminating FUBeAR's options 1 and 2.

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Remember when they sent #5 New Hampshire to #4 Georgia Southern in the first round in 2004? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

ncspiderfan
November 24th, 2022, 04:46 PM

Believe it or not Eastern Kentucky traveled to Richmond for the first round in 2008 and 2009. I am not in a position to say it is fact, but Richmond will not likely get out bid for a 1st round game (of course when I say that it will happen next time Spiders make it in, I just do not remember it happening in the 2000s).
I do not know what affect the 400 mile rule had during those years, but someone posted somewhere that is just about exactly 400 mile trip from Richmond to Eastern Kentucky. I suspect the way they did it this year made it much easier on the traveling teams, distance wise.

ncspiderfan
November 24th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Believe it or not Eastern Kentucky traveled to Richmond for the first round in 2008 and 2009. I am not in a position to say it is fact, but Richmond will not likely get out bid for a 1st round game (of course when I say that it will happen next time Spiders make it in, I just do not remember it happening in the 2000s).
I do not know what affect the 400 mile rule had during those years, but someone posted somewhere that is just about exactly 400 mile trip from Richmond to Eastern Kentucky. I suspect the way they did it this year made it much easier on the traveling teams, distance wise.

Just checked and it is 492 miles between the cities, so I really do not know how they ended up against each other the first round back to back years, unless the rest of the pairing those years just demanded it.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2022, 05:33 PM
I do not know what affect the 400 mile rule had during those years, but someone posted somewhere that is just about exactly 400 mile trip from Richmond to Eastern Kentucky. I suspect the way they did it this year made it much easier on the traveling teams, distance wise.Richmond, KY to Richmond, VA is 493 miles per Google Maps

Elon College, NC to Richmond, KY is 407 miles per Google Maps, BUT addresses within the city limits of Elon College, NC & the city limits of Richmond, KY are 400 miles apart. With as fast & loose as the Committee has played with their other ‘rules,’ surely Elon vs. EKU is a doable bus trip.

#DefundTheCommittee

gofurman
November 24th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Richmond, KY to Richmond, VA is 493 miles per Google Maps

Elon College, NC to Richmond, KY is 407 miles per Google Maps, BUT addresses within the city limits of Elon College, NC & the city limits of Richmond, KY are 400 miles apart. With as fast & loose as the Committee has played with their other ‘rules,’ surely Elon vs. EKU is a doable bus trip.

#DefundTheCommittee

#DefundtheCommittee. that's good stuff right there.. lol

I swear people on this board could do a better job than the committee and it IS THEIR JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

topher99
November 25th, 2022, 08:42 PM
There is no city/town of Elon College FYI.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2022, 09:40 PM
There is no city/town of Elon College FYI.
“The community around the school…was incorporated in 1893 as Elon College.” - https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2016/09/02/elon-universitys-beginnings-date-nineteenth-century

The town was called "Elon College" until the college known as Elon College became Elon University. The town then changed its name officially to Elon.

”Elon College to become Elon University on June 1, 2001”

FUBeAR left NC in 1978. It’ll ALWAYS be Elon College, NC to FUBeAR.

…seems as if topher99 may be embarrassed to be a Formerly Fightin’ Former Christian

FCS fan man
November 26th, 2022, 08:50 AM
EZ choice