PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-10/29

JALMOND
October 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
So we had some separation last week and we are beginning to see somewhat of a clearer picture (well maybe a little clearer). Last week was an odd week as Northern Colorado got the home team's only victory, the Griz asserted their dominance in the conference, and Portland State scored 68 points in regulation and lost to Weber State. With all that in mind, here are this week's power rankings (last week's rank). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion...

1. Montana (1)--In probably their toughest game all year, on the road against Northern Arizona, the Griz escaped with the victory and kept thier undefeated season alive. Clearly head and shoulders above the rest, the postseason should find the Griz as the conference champs. This week, Portland State brings the high power run and shoot offense to Missoula. Can the Griz blow it up?

2. Eastern Washington (3)--While the rest of the conference was creating all the fireworks, the Eagles got a quiet victory on the road against Sacramento State. Any road victory is a good one this late in the season, especially with EWU trying to keep pace with the Griz. This week, they welcome Northern Colorado to Cheney for homecoming. Will the results bring cheers from the Eagle faithful?

3. Northern Arizona (4)--A hard fought loss to Montana at home leaves the Jacks with no shot at achieving the seven DI wins and an at-large spot in the playoffs, leaving them with a slight chance for the title, but they need to win and get some help along the way. They can help themselves this weekend as they travel to Bozeman to face Montana State. Can they recover and resume their quest?

4. Montana State (2)--The Cats offense did not show up in time to save a victory at lowly Northern Colorado, leaving a lot of people scratching their heads about them. This was a big blow to any playoff chances the Cats might have been entertaining. Now the road does not get any easier with Northern Arizona coming to town. Was last week just an abomination, or was it a sign of things to come?

5. Weber State (5)---Two questions after the Wildcats wild victory at Portland State last week, 1) Where did that offense come from, and 2) What happened to that vaunted defense? Still a road win is always a good win, but the Wildcats needed every bit of the 73 points they scored. Idaho State comes to town this weekend. Will it be a return to normalcy?

6. Idaho State (6)---A nonconference home loss to Cal Poly left the Bengals feeling dejected. The momentum achieved with the win over Portland State lasted just one quarter and it was a return to how the season has gone. Speaking of returning, the Bengals return to conference play with a trip just down the road to Weber State. Can they salvage their season?

7. Portland State (7)---The Vikings score 68 points in a regulation length game and lose. Obviously the run and shoot was clicking but at what cost to the defense. Even back in the days when the conference was crazy, there really was not any games like this one. This week, the Vikings go to Montana where they have not won since entering the Big Sky. Do they have another crazy game up their sleeves?

8. Sacramento State (8)---What to say. The Hornets played a strong conference foe, Eastern Washington, close, yet still came up short in the end. This week, the Hornets draw the odd team card and play UC-Davis in their annual Causway series. Emotions will be running high, can the Hornets get a win for themselves and the conference?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---A home win by the Bears over Montana State has allowed them to rejoin the rest of the conference. The first conference win and a good win over a quality opponent. The big gap between UNC and the rest of the conference has been significantly narrowed, but they still find themselves on the outside. This week, a trip to another quality opponent, Eastern Washington. Can the Bears keep it going?

A little clarity as to where the teams are, Montana comfortably in front, a loss but not a "bad" loss should keep them there (not saying that they are going to lose). MSU's loss to UNC has pretty much put EWU and NAU as a close 2-3, with the Cats a distant 4. WSU and ISU a close 5-6, PSU at 7 pretty much by themselves and Sac State and UNC a close 8-9.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Makes sense to me...didn't see any predictions this time though I'm always interested in those. I think the only chances the Big Sky has for an at large bid now is in EWU with Montana getting the auto.

Proud Griz Man
October 29th, 2007, 11:44 PM
So we had some separation last week and we are beginning to see somewhat of a clearer picture (well maybe a little clearer). Last week was an odd week as Northern Colorado got the home team's only victory, the Griz asserted their dominance in the conference, and Portland State scored 68 points in regulation and lost to Weber State. With all that in mind, here are this week's power rankings (last week's rank). All are my opinion and all are open for discussion...

1. Montana (1)--In probably their toughest game all year, on the road against Northern Arizona, the Griz escaped with the victory and kept thier undefeated season alive. Clearly head and shoulders above the rest, the postseason should find the Griz as the conference champs. This week, Portland State brings the high power run and shoot offense to Missoula. Can the Griz blow it up?

A little clarity as to where the teams are, Montana comfortably in front, a loss but not a "bad" loss should keep them there (not saying that they are going to lose). MSU's loss to UNC has pretty much put EWU and NAU as a close 2-3, with the Cats a distant 4. WSU and ISU a close 5-6, PSU at 7 pretty much by themselves and Sac State and UNC a close 8-9.

What is your instinct Jalmond? Portland state have an upset in them? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JALMOND
October 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
What is your instinct Jalmond? Portland state have an upset in them? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

We're going to try for 100 this week xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xsmiley_wix

And try to hold the Griz below 150.:D ;) :p

DaGriz
October 30th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Nice job Jalmond. I enjoy reading your post each week. You're usually pretty right on. Close enough I don't have a good enough argument against you. Keep up the good work.

Proud Griz Man
October 31st, 2007, 12:29 AM
EWU is good. It will be interesting to see how Portland State reacts after a troubling loss, and interesting to see Montana State's regrouping and taking on a talented NAU club. xreadx

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2007, 02:58 AM
It's not a score prediction thread (yet), but I'll go out and say the Cats beat NAU this week. They're hurtin' and they're desperate, so I think they can pull it off.

already123
November 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
U are sayin that MSU will beat NAU...esp after losing to UNC?

catbob
November 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM

Last year we lost three in a row at home (including a DII), only to win 6 in a row, host a playoff game, and beat a top ten team in Furman in the first round. :)

The game is at home, we've won 8 straight at home.

montanafan
November 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Last year we lost three in a row at home (including a DII), only to win 6 in a row, host a playoff game, and beat a top ten team in Furman in the first round. :)

The game is at home, we've won 8 straight at home.

And your point is?? xconfusedx xconfusedx

NAU is a good team and should take the win at MSU on the road.

already123
November 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
And your point is?? xconfusedx xconfusedx

NAU is a good team and should take the win at MSU on the road.

my thoughts exactly...xthumbsupx

catbob
November 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Well I thought my point was obvious, but I guess I'll explain it.

He said we shouldn't beat NAU, especially after losing to UNC. I pointed out we had some very bad losses last year, but rebounded to make the playoffs. I'm not saying we will make the playoffs, but judging this MSU team on the UNC game is... well I hope the entire NAU team thinks that way too. :)

cats2506
November 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM

I could say the same thing, are you saying that NAU will beat MSU ...esp after losing to Sac

I wouldnt put everything on the outcome of one common opponent.

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I could say the same thing, are you saying that NAU will beat MSU ...esp after losing to Sac

I wouldnt put everything on the outcome of one common opponent.Unfortunately, many people seem so willing to do that. No one ever sees the same team twice in one season, even if they were to play them every consecutive week.

already123
November 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
true statements...