PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown State University Penguins - Offseason Thread

BeamMeUp
November 21st, 2022, 06:32 PM
We just wrapped up the 3rd year with Head Coach Doug Phillips at the helm. In his first year (2020 played in spring 2021), the infamous COVID year, YSU went just 1-6. Last year (2021), YSU actually defeated three playoff teams (UIW, MSU, and SIU), but blew a 28pt lead to WIU and a 4th quarter lead at UND and ended the season going just 3-7. This year the Penguins certainly improved record wise going 7-4 and just missing out on the playoffs due to a 5-pt loss at home to UND and a 3-pt loss on the road at MSU.

With things trending in the right direction with Coach Phillips in charge, I thought it would be nice to start up an off-season thread to discuss incoming recruits/transfers, any defections from the current roster, as well as any changes with the coaching staff.

In terms of our schedule next season, here is how it stacks up. We lose NDSU, UND (thanks for the catch!), and WIU on our schedule next year, while gaining back UNI and SDSU.

Aug 31 - Valparaiso
Sept. 9 - at Ohio State
Sept. 16 - Robert Morris
Sept. 30 - at UNI
Oct. 7 - Southern Illinois
Oct. 14 - at South Dakota
Oct. 21 - Illinois State
Oct. 28 - Missouri State
Nov. 4 - at Indiana State
Nov. 11 - South Dakota State
Nov. 18 - at Murray State

Go Penguins!

NDSU1980
November 21st, 2022, 06:46 PM
We just wrapped up the 3rd year with Head Coach Doug Phillips at the helm. In his first year (2020 played in spring 2021), the infamous COVID year, YSU went just 1-6. Last year (2021), YSU actually defeated three playoff teams (UIW, MSU, and SIU), but blew a 28pt lead to WIU and a 4th quarter lead at UND and ended the season going just 3-7. This year the Penguins certainly improved record wise going 7-4 and just missing out on the playoffs due to a 5-pt loss at home to UND and a 3-pt loss on the road at MSU.

With things trending in the right direction with Coach Phillips in charge, I thought it would be nice to start up an off-season thread to discuss incoming recruits/transfers, any defections from the current roster, as well as any changes with the coaching staff.

In terms of our schedule next season, here is how it stacks up. We lose NDSU and WIU on our schedule next year, while gaining back UNI and SDSU.

Aug 31 - Valparaiso
Sept. 9 - at Ohio State
Sept. 16 - Robert Morris
Sept. 30 - at UNI
Oct. 7 - Southern Illinois
Oct. 14 - at South Dakota
Oct. 21 - Illinois State
Oct. 28 - Missouri State
Nov. 4 - at Indiana State
Nov. 11 - South Dakota State
Nov. 18 - at Murray State

Go Penguins!
Looks like you miss playing und as well.

BeamMeUp
November 21st, 2022, 06:46 PM
2023 Recruits - Updated 11/21/2022
(My goal is to continue to edit this post throughout the offseason tracking our recruits. Please post any new recruits in the thread and I will edit this post. If I miss any, just private message me and yell BEAM ME UP!)

Kayden Davis - RB - Alliance, OH - 3 Star - https://247sports.com/player/kayden-davis-46130702/
DaShawn Carter - DE - McKeesport, PA - https://247sports.com/player/dashawn-carter-46132662/
Michael Gleske - K - Medina, OH - https://twitter.com/michaelgleske/status/1594107644159361024

Sites to Track YSU Recruiting

https://www.on3.com/college/youngstown-state-penguins/football/2023/offers/
https://scoutingohio.com/college-commit?fcs
https://247sports.com/college/youngstown-state/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Transferring Out - Updated 11/24/2022

Marcus Finkley - DB - https://twitter.com/MarcusFinkley/status/1594809684136960028
Andrew Hardin - DB
Jasiah Medley - WR

semobison
November 22nd, 2022, 08:27 AM
Because of Y-towns history, and I am older and remember their glory days, I usually pull for the Guins unless they are playing NDSU. Personally, the way they finished the season, I thought they deserved a spot in the playoffs. Never should have lost the UND game! The Valley and FCS football are better with a competitive YSU. Good luck next season!

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Because of Y-towns history, and I am older and remember their glory days, I usually pull for the Guins unless they are playing NDSU. Personally, the way they finished the season, I thought they deserved a spot in the playoffs. Never should have lost the UND game! The Valley and FCS football are better with a competitive YSU. Good luck next season!

Why not? You obviously didn't watch it.

Paladin1aa
November 22nd, 2022, 12:50 PM
Finkley to the transfer portal is no loss. Local kid from Youngstown East who walked on hoping to earn a schollie. Never played a snap as I recall. But far too typical for a generous walk on program coupled with giving out schollies to local Valley stars, creating a weak talent team who struggles in the MVFC. People need to realize the Valley is full of D-II and III athletes. Recruiting one, maybe two a year is best policy.

semobison
November 22nd, 2022, 03:55 PM
Why not? You obviously didn't watch it.

I watch the entire game. Late in the game they unexplainably quit getting the ball to McLaughin, who UND had no answer for…..Good luck at Weber!

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2022, 04:05 PM
I watch the entire game. Late in the game they unexplainably quit getting the ball to McLaughin, who UND had no answer for…..Good luck at Weber!

YSU was losing for 90% of the game. They didn't get the ball to him as much because they were behind, not by alot, but behind.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2022, 04:15 PM
The Valley is adding a crap football program in Murray State. Another cupcake on the schedule.

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2022, 04:17 PM
The Valley is adding a crap football program in Murray State. Another cupcake on the schedule.

I have a hard time understanding that one

semobison
November 22nd, 2022, 04:28 PM
YSU was losing for 90% of the game. They didn't get the ball to him as much because they were behind, not by alot, but behind.

If your behind by less than one score 4th qtr, you don’t go away from your bread and butter. Especially when UND seemed to have no answer for him. Even the Midco announcers made a comment on McLaughin not getting the ball late in the game…Not surprised that you saw it differently.

ysubigred
November 23rd, 2022, 09:05 AM
If your behind by less than one score 4th qtr, you don’t go away from your bread and butter. Especially when UND seemed to have no answer for him. Even the Midco announcers made a comment on McLaughin not getting the ball late in the game…Not surprised that you saw it differently.Sometimes watching YSU football, I think football is fixed..

Lol [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BeamMeUp
November 23rd, 2022, 01:01 PM
I mean YSU was definitely playing catch-up much of the game, but certainly not 90% of the game. Hell YSU had a lead for almost an entire quarter from the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter (prior to that they were tied since half) before surrendering the lead with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Also, during that stretch YSU had an 11 play drive that resulted in 0 points as they had a missed FG. On that drive YSU had a bizarre 1st down pass call that caused the drive to implode. They were moving it so well and that single play cost them the momentum.

ysubigred
November 23rd, 2022, 01:20 PM
Transfer portal 3 Guins.

Andrew Hardin (DB) — Youngstown State
Jasiah Medley (WR) — Youngstown State
Marcus Finkley (DB) — Youngstown State

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2022, 01:34 PM
I mean YSU was definitely playing catch-up much of the game, but certainly not 90% of the game. Hell YSU had a lead for almost an entire quarter from the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter (prior to that they were tied since half) before surrendering the lead with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Also, during that stretch YSU had an 11 play drive that resulted in 0 points as they had a missed FG. On that drive YSU had a bizarre 1st down pass call that caused the drive to implode. They were moving it so well and that single play cost them the momentum.

UND led the vast majority of the game but somehow the narrative has been spun that YSU should've won the game. That is not the case at all. UND was winning when the punt block TD happened, btw. Even if the punt block didn't happen UND would've had the ball back at midfield (at worst).

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2022, 08:11 AM
I have a hard time understanding that one
Because the MVC schools think if Murray is a full-time MVC members, they should also be in the MVFC. The Summit schools are the ones who disagree. I personally don’t care, SDSU doesn’t play them for the next two years, and even if we did it’d be a free win. It serves to keep the MVC schools happy, especially since they didn’t have to allow UND in, but they did to be nice to the Summit.

geaux_sioux
November 24th, 2022, 08:46 AM
UND led the vast majority of the game but somehow the narrative has been spun that YSU should've won the game. That is not the case at all. UND was winning when the punt block TD happened, btw. Even if the punt block didn't happen UND would've had the ball back at midfield (at worst).

Maybe check out the win probability graph and see what that suggests.

- - - Updated - - -

Transfer portal 3 Guins.

These guys any good? We could use some DBs.

The Yo Show
November 24th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Maybe check out the win probability graph and see what that suggests.

- - - Updated - - -

These guys any good? We could use some DBs.

Hardin is a junior that never started or even played a down in game it appears.
Medley is a true FR WR that also hasn't played yet so I'm not sure if he is good or not.
Finkley, I don't even know who he is.

ysubigred
November 30th, 2022, 07:36 AM
I see ole #10 QB Crenshaw hits the transfer portal.. don't know what happened with him. Can't throw for ****. Runs like a scared sissy and fumbles every time he takes a hit. Had high hopes for #10 a few years ago.

DII will pick him up just on the high school paper tiger stats.

BeamMeUp
December 2nd, 2022, 09:18 PM
I see ole #10 QB Crenshaw hits the transfer portal.. don't know what happened with him. Can't throw for ****. Runs like a scared sissy and fumbles every time he takes a hit. Had high hopes for #10 a few years ago.

DII will pick him up just on the high school paper tiger stats.

It appears I will not be able to edit the existing posts at the start of the thread, so we will just have to post any new updates as separate posts. In addition to the departure of Crenshaw, freshman WR Jack Kenneally has hit the transfer portal. He never saw the field this year.

https://twitter.com/_jackkenneally/status/1597629869198053376

Paladin1aa
December 3rd, 2022, 08:46 AM
Some ramblings on Mahoning Valley football - the area finally has 3 teams in the state championship finals. Warren JFK, South Range and Canfield. So far , 2 state champs - Canfield and South Range. Warren JFK plays this afternoon. A few players make the mark to be YSU recruits. I especially like the South Range QB Skirpac. West Branch QB DeShields decommited from Eastern Illinois and is now a Kent St. commit. Warren JFK OT Valenth is a Rice commit. He would fit at YSU. Early signings start Dec. 21. Should get interesting from what I’m hearing.

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2022, 09:46 AM
Some ramblings on Mahoning Valley football - the area finally has 3 teams in the state championship finals. Warren JFK, South Range and Canfield. So far , 2 state champs - Canfield and South Range. Warren JFK plays this afternoon. A few players make the mark to be YSU recruits. I especially like the South Range QB Skirpac. West Branch QB DeShields decommited from Eastern Illinois and is now a Kent St. commit. Warren JFK OT Valenth is a Rice commit. He would fit at YSU. Early signings start Dec. 21. Should get interesting from what I’m hearing.Good deal for the Valley. QB situation is interesting. Brumgard comes from the (in my opinion) dad that was the best YSU ever fielded. Soo there is the question. Will he get a shot? Will they go JUCO, transfer portal or try to get on of these Valley stand out QB's? It's magic Mitch's job 23 so I'm not expecting an immediate replacement.

Then we have the TB/RB position. Same as the QB. Is the next star here or are we going to see the JUCO, transfer portal guy come in..

For once in a long time I'm actually excited to see what's next.

ysubigred
December 3rd, 2022, 09:53 AM
It appears I will not be able to edit the existing posts at the start of the thread, so we will just have to post any new updates as separate posts. In addition to the departure of Crenshaw, freshman WR Jack Kenneally has hit the transfer portal. He never saw the field this year.

https://twitter.com/_jackkenneally/status/1597629869198053376Didn't see Kenneally on the portal yet. Seems YSU is good at that position he may have seen no chance to start.

The Yo Show
December 3rd, 2022, 04:55 PM
It is interesting... Based on build 6'7 and 210 is a good size wr. But may not have the hands or speed. Idk

BeamMeUp
December 9th, 2022, 07:21 AM
Tre Radford is the 5th departure. Judging by his Twitter video, he didn't play at all as most of his clips were from practice.

https://twitter.com/Tredogg84/status/1600591431047184384?t=I-rbb9Cesy1-Od7KEnEjBA&s=19

ysubigred
December 10th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Tre Radford is the 5th departure. Judging by his Twitter video, he didn't play at all as most of his clips were from practice.

https://twitter.com/Tredogg84/status/1600591431047184384?t=I-rbb9Cesy1-Od7KEnEjBA&s=19Should be 6 according to Twitter feeds.. the portal is showing 4.

Besides Crenshaw, I wonder how much scholly wiggle room this is creating?

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Recruiting news has not been good. First, they are offering schollies to a number of Valley athletes - never a good sign. Many have no other offer. Second, the other h.s. players from other Ohio areas and out of state are verballing elsewhere. Finally, not a word on the transfer portal or Jucos. All that would add up to a disaster. Dec. 21 is closing in and little time left to turn it around. Biggest commit so far is the Alliance RB and he is average.

The Yo Show
December 12th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Kayden Davis? Interestingly there is an image out there on his recruiting profile showing him in a Toledo jersey, yet Rivals is saying he is committed to YSU and shows no offer from Toledo... very confusing.

Paladin1aa
December 12th, 2022, 12:50 PM
Kayden Davis? Interestingly there is an image out there on his recruiting profile showing him in a Toledo jersey, yet Rivals is saying he is committed to YSU and shows no offer from Toledo... very confusing.

Info I have is Davis is still a YSU commit. Not saying he hasn’t decommited, but I have not heard that. Info is very sketchy this year and that is also a very bad sign. Fingers crossed.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2022, 03:01 PM
YSU has a commitment from Ebony Curry, 6’5, 230 DE from Hamilton, Ohio in Cincy area.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2022, 02:06 PM
YSU has a commit from Dallas Harper, a 6’1, 190 Safety from Monroeville, Pa. Gateway

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2022, 02:21 PM
YSU has a commit from Dashawn Carter, a 6’3, 220 Edge from McKeesport, Pa.

The Yo Show
December 17th, 2022, 04:53 PM
I've started seeing alot more commits. Is the class looking any better based on that?

BeamMeUp
December 17th, 2022, 07:33 PM
Additional commits from Social Media:

Brian Cox - Punter - Perry High School (Lake County, OH)
https://twitter.com/cox_brian1/status/1597666687561580544

Nicholas Nielsen - 6'6" Offensive Linemen - De La Salle Collegiate (Warren, MI)
https://twitter.com/NielsenNicholas/status/1598803225758638098

Wyatt Miner - 6'6" Offensive Lineman - Robert C. Byrd (Clarksburg, WV)
https://twitter.com/WyattMinor/status/1599448224133447680

Eventually I will get this all organized into one post once we get a few more.

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2022, 08:36 PM
I've started seeing alot more commits. Is the class looking any better based on that?

Its a mixed bag. Minor has the size ( 6’6, 290 ) but no offers. Nielsen (6’6, 240) has a couple of D-IIs and YSU. Many of the others had no offers or a couple of D-IIs, but played in decent programs at highly competitive levels. I’m holding off until the signings and we see the total haul to evaluate the overall class,both early and Feb signings.

ysubigred
December 17th, 2022, 09:25 PM
Additional commits from Social Media:

Brian Cox - Punter - Perry High School (Lake County, OH)
https://twitter.com/cox_brian1/status/1597666687561580544

Nicholas Nielsen - 6'6" Offensive Linemen - De La Salle Collegiate (Warren, MI)
https://twitter.com/NielsenNicholas/status/1598803225758638098

Wyatt Miner - 6'6" Offensive Lineman - Robert C. Byrd (Clarksburg, WV)
https://twitter.com/WyattMinor/status/1599448224133447680

Eventually I will get this all organized into one post once we get a few more.Brian Cox.. too bad not a linebacker..

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2022, 05:49 PM
YSU signed 10 players today in the early period. Outside of Davis and Carter, not much to get excited about. Average overall with several in the “project” class. They need to hit the portal.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2022, 07:07 PM
Any word on the FBS RB out of the portal. I can't find anything.

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2022, 07:30 PM
They misspoke on the cheerleader board, Red . We have no RB from the portal yet. I do expect some portal activity but don’t expect a lot.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2022, 09:51 PM
I figured.. seems the RB spot maybe covered but not proven.

BeamMeUp
December 23rd, 2022, 04:40 PM
Knock on wood, but I am encouraged by the lack of departures out of our program and into the transfer portal, especially among major contributors. Yes we lost our former starting QB and back-up QB Crenshaw, but I think we can all agree he was not going to get us to the playoffs ever. Nonetheless I wish him the best.

However, it is encouraging to see our abundance of returning players coming back remaining in the program. I would still anticipate Coach Phillips looking at the transfer portal for a potential QB or RB to build some depth at those positions as we are unfortunately very thin at each spot heading into next year.

ysubigred
December 29th, 2022, 09:52 AM
Looking back on the last few years since 2019. I'm seeing where YSU'S coaching staff has wasted so much talent and or didn't seem to have the best players on the field. Hell it took until the 4th game of this season to figure out the QB situation. Will be interesting to see what the staff shakes out of the portal and what Feb signings will hold. Like Beam said YSU didn't lose anyone to the transfer portal, the team seems intact just need to fill the holes left from graduation at OL, RB, and DE.

Hopefully going forward YSU will do better.

BeamMeUp
January 7th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Rumors on the Youngstown State forum that Head Coach Doug Phillips turned down a lucrative offer to join Coach Luke Fickell's staff at Wisconsin. The two have a close bond in the coaching ranks, first at Ohio State in 2006 under Coach Tressel, and most recently at Cincinnati where Phillips was their RB coach prior to coming to YSU. Fickell attended one of YSU's games during the Spring COVID season and recently joined Phillips for a United Way event in Youngstown in May 2022. If the rumors have legs (which I am hearing they do), Coach Phillips turned down an offer that would have more than doubled his currently salary. However, on the flip side between his time as an assistant initially at Youngstown State, Ohio State, Cincinnati, and now back at Youngstown State, as well as a decade plus of years as a public school administrator, he likely has built up a healthy # of years in the Ohio State retirement system.

Although I have taken issue with a few assistants, I have a lot of respect for the way Coach Phillips is rebuilding this program... with a large core of high school recruits with a small number of high impact FBS transfers (Bryce Oliver - Kentucky and Marcus Hooker - Ohio State). It is interesting that the NDSU media reporters, who do a great job covering their program, have taken note of the style of Phillips rebuilding job. Great to hear there will be stability at the helm of Youngstown State. Phillips can do something special here if momentum continues into next season. It is worth mentioning that Youngstown State has made the playoffs just 2 times since Tressel left YSU... In those two seasons, YSU made the most of their opportunities advancing to the National Semis in 2006 and the National Championship in 2016 (anniversary of that game is today as a matter of fact). If YSU can get over that hump next year, I think the skies the limit for this program.

Hoping we can bring in a few high impact transfers to shore up our depth at QB and RB leading up to next season.

Go YSU

BEAM ME UP

Paladin1aa
January 7th, 2023, 02:45 PM
A few points - DP has accumulated enough years for a pension in Ohio. However, he just brought his brother over from Stow to work on his administrative staff. He protects him by staying. Conversations I’ve had indicates they don’t have a lot of schollies to give out. Feb. may bring a few Jucos, transfers and maybe a h.s. Player or two. Unless they lose more after Spring ball, are academic casualties or leave for other reasons, the roster isn’t going to grow much. What they have is what will be playing next year. A QB and RB would be good. There are a number of redshirts that could have played last year that will muscle their way into the starting lineup if not injured. Some surprises are ahead.

The Yo Show
January 7th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Are you thinking the outlook is positive then Paladin?

Paladin1aa
January 8th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Are you thinking the outlook is positive then Paladin?

IF, I say, IF they replace McLaughlin they have a solid chance at winning record. They return 4 of 5 OL starters. An average QB but little depth behind him. D should be decent. They gain one weak game (Murray St.) on the schedule , along with 2 weenie games early,but MVFC schedule otherwise might be problematic. A RB and QB Juco/transfer would be good. Feb signing, while small in number, are very important. It’s not etched in stone yet, but getting close.

Paladin1aa
January 8th, 2023, 12:48 PM
The schedule looks favorable for 2023. Valpo , Bobby Morris, Murray St, all wins. Ohio St, UNI and SDSU, all losses. But repeat of 7-4 possible with other games toss ups and weaker MVFC teams involved - ISUb, ISUr, MoST, USD. SIU might be a stretch. But they have to have a solid run game. Must !

ysubigred
January 9th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Since Oliver is a success story out of KY.. I wonder "IF" YSU could get some good fortune again from the list they have in the portal?

No QBs, don't surprise me KY was a one trick pony at that position..

RB's

Mike Drennen II 5-11 204 Dublin Ohio
Kavosiey Smoke 5-9 209 from AL

OL

Kiyaunta Goodwin 6-8 351 Louisville KY
John Young 6-6 304 Louisville KY

DL

Justin Rogers Detroit Michigan

DB

Adrian Huey 6-0 190 Nashville TN

WR

About 5 of them

This guy caught my eye burnt YSU several times..
DeMarcus Harris 6-1 183 Vero Beach FL

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230109/6c2fe6bad6703db7608b8af335334945.jpg

Paladin1aa
January 10th, 2023, 12:51 PM
YSU looks to lose 3 star Frosh WR Tay’Shawn Trent, a 6’4, 210 projected starter , to the transfer portal.

Paladin1aa
January 10th, 2023, 01:08 PM
Look for Trent to transfer up as he had 14 FBS offers and YSU. He may be headed to B1G champ Mich as he lives not far away and had an offer there. Offers from Indiana, Cincy, Louisville, Penn St and Kentucky as well.

ysubigred
January 10th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Look for Trent to transfer up as he had 14 FBS offers and YSU. He may be headed to B1G champ Mich as he lives not far away and had an offer there. Offers from Indiana, Cincy, Louisville, Penn St and Kentucky as well.Do you think the WR coach leaving YSU sent Trent to the portal?

Paladin1aa
January 11th, 2023, 08:04 AM
Do you think the WR coach leaving YSU sent Trent to the portal?

Hard to say. He entered the portal on Jan. 3, about the same time as the coach leaving to take a job at Northwestern. He11, for all I know the player may end up at Northwestern. Big loss for YSU. He was one of the best recruits.

ysubigred
January 11th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Hard to say. He entered the portal on Jan. 3, about the same time as the coach leaving to take a job at Northwestern. He11, for all I know the player may end up at Northwestern. Big loss for YSU. He was one of the best recruits.Not sure I'd call it a big loss.. paper tigers sometimes end up being such. Free up a scholly for a position more needed in the portal.

Paladin1aa
January 11th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Not sure I'd call it a big loss.. paper tigers sometimes end up being such. Free up a scholly for a position more needed in the portal.

Don’t kid yourself. Offers from 14 FBS including Mich. Penn St, Kentucky, etc. 3 star rating , great high lite reel. He was one of the best recruits, while redshirted, he would have started last year. He isa major loss. If the class keeps taking these hits it will go from great to average.

ysubigred
January 11th, 2023, 10:37 AM
Don’t kid yourself. Offers from 14 FBS including Mich. Penn St, Kentucky, etc. 3 star rating , great high lite reel. He was one of the best recruits, while redshirted, he would have started last year. He isa major loss. If the class keeps taking these hits it will go from great to average.Never stepped one foot on the field? We'll never know if it's a major loss. Might be a blessing in disguise..

Glass half full not half empty...

Here's the portal update for YTOWN out

Demeatric Crenshaw (QB) — Youngstown State

Tay’shawn Trent (WR) — Youngstown State

The Yo Show
January 11th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Brings up the question, why didn't he start this past year? Why was Trent redshirted?

Paladin1aa
January 11th, 2023, 04:13 PM
Brings up the question, why didn't he start this past year? Why was Trent redshirted?

DP made the decision that he would red shirt the entire class. The philosophy is to build a 5 year student athlete core for all years, increasing talent and depth levels by doing so. The problem is you can’t keep them all losing some to injuries, grades, discipline, transfer, etc. The sad fact is many of the Frosh would beat out the upperclassmen but they were held back. Some played a limited n7mber of games but didn’t lose their redshirts. None started so as not to upset the upperclassmen. Yet, programs are more successful by redshirting each year. DP has decided he will redshirt all his Frosh classes.

ysubigred
February 1st, 2023, 09:52 AM
Nice find here.. his parents could ride home with me literally 3 miles from my house. My daughter in law graduated this HS.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230201/caa11f9e310c88b7dc7f7ef94cc6f416.jpg

ysubigred
February 1st, 2023, 09:54 AM
Looks like the Guins have signed quite a few kids. Got the Springfield QB..

Pally, Beam what are you seeing?

ysubigred
February 1st, 2023, 03:20 PM
Lost some coaches gained a coach..

Youngstown State tabbing Notre Dame analyst for key offensive staff role

Jeremy Larkin shined bright in a year on Marcus Freeman's Fighting Irish staff. As both player and staff member, Jeremy Larkin has been at two of the most venerated institutions in college football.

Now as Larkin continues on his career climb, he's joining one of the sport's most historic programs at the Football Championship Subdivision level

Now wonder what he'll do? WR?

Paladin1aa
February 1st, 2023, 04:44 PM
The outlook is DP blew the Feb signings. Worst of all, he gave in to the AD and signed 3 area kids, making a mockery of “recruiting”. None are athletes for this level. The other out of state players are of average quality. To put this with last years class it’s a down grade. No Florida athletes. Nothing to build on.

They have serious problems now. Didn’t get any quality QBs or RBs. Both of those are problem areas for next year. I suppose they might find some transfers after Spring ball is over to come in, but the hope of roster improvement falls flat with the late class. Back to same old, same old. 😩

ysubigred
February 1st, 2023, 05:35 PM
Not sure what this means^^

Seems the QB YSU recruited did OK? [emoji848] Funny we get a thumbs down when not one kid played a down at the college level. I've played with 5 stars that flopped and walk ones that excelled..

I guess YSU is in the ****ter as usual.

Bryce Schondelmyer's (Springfield, OH) Football Stats
https://www.maxpreps.com/oh/springfield/springfield-wildcats/athletes/bryce-schondelmyer/football/stats/?careerid=i6n70un4nps88&mobile=1

BeamMeUp
February 1st, 2023, 06:12 PM
Paladin... those local "signings" are preferred walk-on's from what I was told. They did not have many scholarships available for this February class.

Paladin1aa
February 1st, 2023, 06:44 PM
Schondelmyer played at small school Arcanum and got no interest. He transferred to big school Springfield for his senior year. They played in state championship but the star was the RB, not the QB. Dad was a coach and rolled the dice for a D-I offer. Enter YSU. Only offer. He isn’t ready for this level. Most of his stats are from D-VII.

The rest of most recruits this time are projects, converting TEs to OL, political public relations recruits, and limited talents. There are a couple out of 12 that might work out, but they need work, red shirt year and keep your fingers crossed. No way to run a railroad.

Paladin1aa
February 1st, 2023, 06:50 PM
Paladin... those local "signings" are preferred walk-on's from what I was told. They did not have many scholarships available for this February class.

Beam - Yep, I thought they only had like 4 or 5 to give. And don’t know how many won’t be back for whatever reason that may make more schollies available for next season. Suffice to say I don’t see them getting much help with this group. Couple of transfers would help.

ysubigred
February 1st, 2023, 08:07 PM
Schondelmyer played at small school Arcanum and got no interest. He transferred to big school Springfield for his senior year. They played in state championship but the star was the RB, not the QB. Dad was a coach and rolled the dice for a D-I offer. Enter YSU. Only offer. He isn’t ready for this level. Most of his stats are from D-VII.

The rest of most recruits this time are projects, converting TEs to OL, political public relations recruits, and limited talents. There are a couple out of 12 that might work out, but they need work, red shirt year and keep your fingers crossed. No way to run a railroad.Ok.. some how he ended up a 247 sports 2 star recruit.. transfering to Springfield for his sr. Season threw 4k plus yards and 48 TDS.. RB as the star of the team may explain why he did have to run much lol.

Not sure if 247 sports is a worthwhile gage of talent.. the TE Phillips has as an OL is also a 2 star..

The Yo Show
February 1st, 2023, 08:31 PM
I know we have lost some position coaches to Fickell (Wisconsin), but how bout this pickup? Seems pretty good to get a smart young coach like this to be our RB coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-youngstown-state-tabbing-notre-dame-analyst-for-key-offensive-staff-role

- - - Updated - - -

Lost some coaches gained a coach..

Youngstown State tabbing Notre Dame analyst for key offensive staff role

Jeremy Larkin shined bright in a year on Marcus Freeman's Fighting Irish staff. As both player and staff member, Jeremy Larkin has been at two of the most venerated institutions in college football.

Now as Larkin continues on his career climb, he's joining one of the sport's most historic programs at the Football Championship Subdivision level

Now wonder what he'll do? WR?

He is going to be our RB coach.

Paladin1aa
February 3rd, 2023, 10:59 AM

If they are PWOs,that means future class schollies are diminished. Terrible waste. Sooner or later the YSU brass and much of the Valley will realize major FBS players no longer come from here. Lots of D-IIs & IIIs but very few Is.

ysubigred
February 3rd, 2023, 08:21 PM
After working on the staff of highly-regarded Willie Simmons at Florida A&M, Jelani Berassa will become the WR coach at YSU.

Filling in the gaps.. Hopefully, it'll work out for the Guins.

BeamMeUp
February 4th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Regarding Tayshawn Trent, the highly touted WR from last year's class that transferred from YSU...He ended up going the JUCO route. You can probably figure out why. He certainly is talented, but he needs to get his academics in order. Wish him the best.

BeamMeUp
February 7th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Penguins set to renew series with Villanova scheduling games in 2024 and 2027!

2024 at Villanova
2027 in Youngstown

BeamMeUp
April 2nd, 2023, 08:08 AM
Youngstown State traveled to the famous Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium to practice yesterday. This HS stadium, and the neighboring indoor facility, rival many FCS facilities. Afterwards the Penguins paid a visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

https://youtu.be/bKbunQPDNic

Complex:
https://scontent.fpit1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/34137598_10156251452432319_4753804523451973632_n.j pg?stp=cp0_dst-jpg_e15_fr_q65&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=HLLbW7B8-PAAX_4PiJw&_nc_ht=scontent.fpit1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDAOo5QmlCjIFfFFm81sPKZzBw6rAlRS3fAtUYijfTl 3A&oe=645105CB
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/03e4c1d3-e794-4204-afbd-2798a4de81b3

Paladin1aa
April 8th, 2023, 06:18 PM
So far YSUs two problems remain unsolved - RB has nothing near last years starter and nothing shows that they have any depth either. The other problem remains that after a very average QB, they show little backing him up.

The Yo Show
April 15th, 2023, 10:50 AM
So far YSUs two problems remain unsolved - RB has nothing near last years starter and nothing shows that they have any depth either. The other problem remains that after a very average QB, they show little backing him up.

I think at least the QB question is resolved after this Spring game. Starting QB will be the same and Brungard will be the backup. I think it is impossible to replace Jaleel, but I think we will get a servicable back. I am impressed with the depth increase in the offense and defensive line and the WRs are good. I'm optimistic for this season.

The Yo Show
April 15th, 2023, 10:54 AM
I will say again, I am pretty impressed with the increase in size and toughness on offensive and defensive lines... as well as the depth there.

BeamMeUp
April 15th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Look for Cephus Harris, who was a nominee for Michigan's Mr. Football award, to have a big season at RB. He averaged 237 yards per game his senior year of high school against high-level competition in and around Detroit. Would imagine his reps will only increase throughout the season.

Paladin1aa
April 15th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Spring game was o.k. Looking out at next season I see 3 losses with Ohio St., UNI and SDSU. Wins are Valpo, Robert Morris, Indy St and MurraySt. The other 4 games are toss ups.

Im not sold on the depth. They are bigger and have a lot of experience but QB and RB have no experience at backups. Lines are similar, as starters should be o.k. but backups are problematic. Kicking game looks good. Staying healthy is important for success.

The Yo Show
April 15th, 2023, 09:08 PM
Look for Cephus Harris, who was a nominee for Michigan's Mr. Football award, to have a big season at RB. He averaged 237 yards per game his senior year of high school against high-level competition in and around Detroit. Would imagine his reps will only increase throughout the season.

He looked pretty good in the spring game you aren't wrong Beam

ysubigred
April 17th, 2023, 07:43 AM
The raw raw board reports YSU landed an x-fer RB from Northern Michigan Tyson King. I'm not sure if this is to add depth or be #8's replacement. I'm hearing that YSU has a couple of backs already in place that are pretty handy..

ysubigred
April 17th, 2023, 07:51 AM
Everything I'm seeing on the spring game seems encouraging.

Paladin1aa
April 17th, 2023, 08:31 AM
At RB, Liberty’s Dra Rushton appears to start following his backup role from last year. Nothing flashy but should contribute. The backups look to be Whatley ,from Cleveland Glenville , as my first choice, but after a nice run he suffered a high ankle sprain and left the game. He was replaced with Harris who had some good runs. Neither has game experience , are young and have question marks about pass catching. King looks to be the biggest back at 215 and may bulk up. The key to the run game is the OL. They return 4 starters who have started for now 3 years. No all stars but should be solid. The problem is if injuries hit this unit, then it will be bonkers to move around young players with no experience that are raw. Some have some ability, but depth is limited here.

My outlook is the pass game should be stronger than the run game. We have 3 outstanding WRs and a decent TE. All are returning starters, good hands and have capabilities for match up problems. The QB is average and strictly a pocket passer. I could see Brungard coming in as a Wildcat QB with strong run game with limited passing ability. He is short (6’) and with OL at 6’5 or more, he will have trouble passing unless he is on the run to see down field.

YSU has 4 weenie games on the schedule , so chances are good for a winning season but injuries to key personnel would make that problematic. Best scenario is 7-4 but sub .500 could happen with injuries and little depth.

The Yo Show
April 18th, 2023, 03:15 PM
At RB, Liberty’s Dra Rushton appears to start following his backup role from last year. Nothing flashy but should contribute. The backups look to be Whatley ,from Cleveland Glenville , as my first choice, but after a nice run he suffered a high ankle sprain and left the game. He was replaced with Harris who had some good runs. Neither has game experience , are young and have question marks about pass catching. King looks to be the biggest back at 215 and may bulk up. The key to the run game is the OL. They return 4 starters who have started for now 3 years. No all stars but should be solid. The problem is if injuries hit this unit, then it will be bonkers to move around young players with no experience that are raw. Some have some ability, but depth is limited here.

My outlook is the pass game should be stronger than the run game. We have 3 outstanding WRs and a decent TE. All are returning starters, good hands and have capabilities for match up problems. The QB is average and strictly a pocket passer. I could see Brungard coming in as a Wildcat QB with strong run game with limited passing ability. He is short (6’) and with OL at 6’5 or more, he will have trouble passing unless he is on the run to see down field.

YSU has 4 weenie games on the schedule , so chances are good for a winning season but injuries to key personnel would make that problematic. Best scenario is 7-4 but sub .500 could happen with injuries and little depth.

Agree with alot of what you have there. Lot to be seen for Cephus and the other new young RBs, but he did look good in game. He did catch the only pass attempt made to him for what that's worth. I am more optimistic than you on season outcome though. Barring injury, I think 8-3 is certainly possible. Also, for weenie games, are you referring to conference opponents to get to 4 weenie games? We only have 3 non conference opponents, 2 of which are weenies and 1 big money game at Ohio State.

Personally, I wouldn't call any of the conference opponents in the MVFC weenies...

Paladin1aa
April 18th, 2023, 06:57 PM
Agree with alot of what you have there. Lot to be seen for Cephus and the other new young RBs, but he did look good in game. He did catch the only pass attempt made to him for what that's worth. I am more optimistic than you on season outcome though. Barring injury, I think 8-3 is certainly possible. Also, for weenie games, are you referring to conference opponents to get to 4 weenie games? We only have 3 non conference opponents, 2 of which are weenies and 1 big money game at Ohio State.

Personally, I wouldn't call any of the conference opponents in the MVFC weenies...

I see easy wins with Valpo and Bobby Morris. Indy St and Murray St in league. Losses to Ohio St., UNI (in the dome) and SDSU. The other 4 games I see tossups till I have a better handle on their talent. While YSU should be good, their talent level is still not upper tier and lack all league players. Those 4 games with MoSt ,ISUr,USD and SIU will present problems. Not great but not bad. We don’t have NDSU but also don’t have door mat WIU. I can’t see 8-3. Maybe 7-4 at best but 6-5 or 5-6 are better odds now. The league would have to have a serious drop off of talent wise for a better than average FCS team like YSU to be dominate in the MVFC. Not there yet.

ysubigred
June 6th, 2023, 05:05 PM
Seen YSU lost an Oline guy to the portal.. it's not the only supposedly good one left AT YSU. This Jackson kid is good enough that the Ohio state picked him up..

Paladin1aa
June 8th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Seen YSU lost an Oline guy to the portal.. it's not the only supposedly good one left AT YSU. This Jackson kid is good enough that the Ohio state picked him up..

There is something wrong here. My info is he is a WALK ON at Ohio St. Also there has been no announcement from OSU that accompanies a transfer. Zip, nada, none. Third and final point is this kid is undersized for OSU and wasn’t that good a player when YSU recruited him. The kid is a 6’1 OL. That’s a little “short” for OSU. He was also only 2nd team All State in D-III. Not exactly a hot item for nationally ranked OSU national recruiting.

Much ado about nothing.

ysubigred
June 9th, 2023, 07:51 PM
There is something wrong here. My info is he is a WALK ON at Ohio St. Also there has been no announcement from OSU that accompanies a transfer. Zip, nada, none. Third and final point is this kid is undersized for OSU and wasn’t that good a player when YSU recruited him. The kid is a 6’1 OL. That’s a little “short” for OSU. He was also only 2nd team All State in D-III. Not exactly a hot item for nationally ranked OSU national recruiting.

Much ado about nothing.I couldn't find much either.. keeping an eye on this team. 1st time in a while, YSU has pre-season mentions for accolades. All the players not mentioned I noticed are underrated and could have a big impact.

The Yo Show
June 9th, 2023, 11:30 PM

Much ado about nothing.

I was thinking the same thing... it was weird they didn't announce they added him...

Paladin1aa
June 10th, 2023, 07:33 AM
It’s best to limit your enthusiasm for this season. Yes, they will be good compared to most FCS teams. They will stomp most FCS teams. But they are in the MVFC. They are not top tier there yet. Besides losing to Ohio State, they could have 4 losses in the league and possibly more if injuries hit. They are weak at RB, have an average QB and an experienced OL but no depth there. The D should be sound but have few backups at most positions so injuries there could be problematic. And then there is the coaching. Lots of new staff and holdovers that didn’t impress last year . Given a weak schedule, they should have a winning season. But playoffs are iffy. Also everyone is ahead of themselves, including me. Let’s see who actually shows up for Fall camp and take it from there.

ysubigred
June 13th, 2023, 06:54 AM
It’s best to limit your enthusiasm for this season. Yes, they will be good compared to most FCS teams. They will stomp most FCS teams. But they are in the MVFC. They are not top tier there yet. Besides losing to Ohio State, they could have 4 losses in the league and possibly more if injuries hit. They are weak at RB, have an average QB and an experienced OL but no depth there. The D should be sound but have few backups at most positions so injuries there could be problematic. And then there is the coaching. Lots of new staff and holdovers that didn’t impress last year . Given a weak schedule, they should have a winning season. But playoffs are iffy. Also everyone is ahead of themselves, including me. Let’s see who actually shows up for Fall camp and take it from there.I agree.. weakness lies in the depth and coaching staff. I like the average QB. The WRs he's got make up for a lot. TB position is a big question mark. I'm waiting and watching to see the August camp to make a prediction on Ws.

nodak651
June 13th, 2023, 09:01 AM
I agree.. weakness lies in the depth and coaching staff. I like the average QB. The WRs he's got make up for a lot. TB position is a big question mark. I'm waiting and watching to see the August camp to make a prediction on Ws.

The RB you guys picked up looks legit. We wanted him at UND really bad. He catches a lot of balls in his highlight film as well. Do you throw to your RB's much?

ysubigred
June 13th, 2023, 09:12 AM
The RB you guys picked up looks legit. We wanted him at UND really bad. He catches a lot of balls in his highlight film as well. Do you throw to your RB's much?Oh yeah. It's good to know the RB seems legit. After losing McLaughlin, I'm leary of how he'll be replaced. Hopefully, he'll play. YSU seems to have a problem not playing the best player.

UND is looking pretty good. I noticed [emoji106]

BeamMeUp
July 31st, 2023, 05:49 PM
Practice began today! Very excited for this upcoming season. I am eager to hear if we have any surprises on our roster for this fall.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2023, 07:40 PM
Most recruits showed for camp. I think the season revolves around most of the starters returning with experience , staying healthy with limited backups who can play and finding a solid RB to replace Jaleel. I look for a solid D returning. The question marks are on O at QB ( did he improve) and do we have a good RB. The transfer may be the man. Played on a bad N. Mich team but had solid numbers and caught the ball well. No secret, we are throwing this year with talented WRs, a QB who can make productive throws and a OL that should protect him with all their experience. The cherry on top is a weak schedule where 4 sure wins are there and 4 tossups gives them a decent shot at a winnng record. No NDSU. Playoffs a possibility.

The Yo Show
August 1st, 2023, 06:20 AM
You sound more optimistic now paladin.

I think the QB situation is actually really good. Mitch was a good QB last year, but didn't get the start at the beginning of the season and even in season shared snaps in practice when he was the starter. Having the full fall camp and now getting in season snaps, I would expect him to improve.

ysubigred
August 1st, 2023, 11:02 AM
You sound more optimistic now paladin.

I think the QB situation is actually really good. Mitch was a good QB last year, but didn't get the start at the beginning of the season and even in season shared snaps in practice when he was the starter. Having the full fall camp and now getting in season snaps, I would expect him to improve.What blows my mind is talent evaluation at YSU. Seems better players ride the pine until desperate times, then we see a better player come in?

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2023, 11:41 AM
What blows my mind is talent evaluation at YSU. Seems better players ride the pine until desperate times, then we see a better player come in?

This bothers me. I see nowhere over decades of watching YSU where this occurs. Quite the opposite and I’m quick to point out when talent levels are bad. Much has to do with recruiting Valley players who end up being wasted schollies. Still a problem because of the parochial politics involved. I’m reserved when the winds shift and talent levels rise, this year being one of those. YSU now is back to an upper level FCS team, capable of kicking the arse of most of FCS, yet must deal with a ball beater MVFC. That why I suspect if YSU gets into the playoffs, they will make a run.

If you got names for us that should start and play but don’t, share them with us, Red. I’ll give you a fair shot - agree with your “eagle eye” or rip you a new one if I disagree. YSU doesn’t lack for talented players who don’t make the field. They lack numbers of players at a quality level. They have the quality this year.

ysubigred
August 1st, 2023, 11:49 AM
This bothers me. I see nowhere over decades of watching YSU where this occurs. Quite the opposite and I’m quick to point out when talent levels are bad. Much has to do with recruiting Valley players who end up being wasted schollies. Still a problem because of the parochial politics involved. I’m reserved when the winds shift and talent levels rise, this year being one of those. YSU now is back to an upper level FCS team, capable of kicking the arse of most of FCS, yet must deal with a ball beater MVFC. That why I suspect if YSU gets into the playoffs, they will make a run.

If you got names for us that should start and play but don’t, share them with us, Red. I’ll give you a fair shot - agree with your “eagle eye” or rip you a new one if I disagree. YSU doesn’t lack for talented players who don’t make the field. They lack numbers of players at a quality level. They have the quality this year.Obviously, the quarterback situation last year.

I was never a coach, just played, so that's my eagle eye.

You're talent evaluation wowsa.. In the beginning.. I believe you said McLaughlin would be a waste of scholly and not make it in the MVFC..

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2023, 12:19 PM
YSU, going back to the Tressel era ,has always been a college team who favored a DUAL threat QB. That was the expectations last year as well, but failed and so Mitch was given a chance, Davidson is not a dual threat and not an outstanding drop back QB either. Since he isn’t a very good runner but an average passing QB, with Jaleel in the backfield they took a chance starting him. In essence Jaleel was the run game and Mitch was the pass game. Jaleel was outstanding, an All American now with Denver. Mitch will get a better evaluation this year with 3 returning starters at WR. The pass game is the strength this year. If they fail, it will be because of Mitch. Experienced OL returning with 4 starters and 3 returning WR starters. He gets 4 games that YSU will kick the dog sheet out of and then 4 games that will be toss ups. Those are the games that will make or break him (and YSU). I hope he does well, but he isn’t overly talented. For this year , he is the best we have. Our other QBs are not that good. Poor recruiting. Last year he was not our best but not being a dual threat, he was a backup till the dual threat proved he was not as effective. YSU was successful last year, not because of Mitch, but because of Jaleel.

Mitch has the talent around him this year to look good, even though he is very average in abilities and not a dual threat. All this is for naught if YSU can’t produce a decent run game. That means no respect for the run, they will tee off on Mitch and put the heat on constantly, every play. Then some reality becomes obvious. I pick them to finish 6-5 and might do better, but Mitch will have to play out of his arse for that to happen. If he gets hurt, early, YSU will have a losing record, probably 5-6.

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2023, 12:34 PM
BTW, never said anything bad about Jaleel. He came in an unknown, didnt have much evidence to evaluate him. And the killer was we didn’t have an overpowering OL. Much of what Jaleel got was on his own abilities even though he didn’t getting good blocking. Much of his gains came not at the point of attack but reversing the field and running against the grain. That and 4.3 speed helped, lol

ysubigred
August 1st, 2023, 12:42 PM
BTW, never said anything bad about Jaleel. He came in an unknown, didnt have much evidence to evaluate him. And the killer was we didn’t have an overpowering OL. Much of what Jaleel got was on his own abilities even though he didn’t getting good blocking. Much of his gains came not at the point of attack but reversing the field and running against the grain. That and 4.3 speed helped, lolYes, u did. If I was annal enough, I'd look it up.. we'll just agree to disagree..

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2023, 12:50 PM
You will have to go back 3 years when Jaleel transferred in. You will also see YSU with losing records because of low talent levels ( and no OL).

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2023, 01:06 PM
YSU is picked for 6th in the MVFC poll. That’s fair. I think they will do better.But losing an All American RB and having an average QB returning doesn’t promote a lot of respect. YSU should be pretty good on D. That will have some MVFC teams worried.

I agree SDSU with winning the league and NDSU being highly ranked. UNI should be decent but after that YSU should fight it out for 4th.

ysubigred
August 1st, 2023, 02:53 PM
You will have to go back 3 years when Jaleel transferred in. You will also see YSU with losing records because of low talent levels ( and no OL).No doubt, but you said too small for MVFC yadda yadda yadda.. then you hopped on the 8 train [emoji106]

The Yo Show
August 1st, 2023, 05:40 PM
We are all only human and get things wrong sometime, the only obvious missed call by Pally that I know of was he was high on Crenshaw, but he didn't pan out that great at QB. But, to be fair, I was high on Crenshaw too so we both made that mistake.

The Yo Show
August 2nd, 2023, 06:16 AM
Interesting comment I would like to get your opinion on. I noticed that this year we had no FCS transfers or FBS transfers and had just the one D2 transfer in that RB which happened in the spring. This is what Doug Philips said yesterday as quoted by the Tribune and I personally think this is a good sign, but up for opinons:
In discussing recruiting in the age of the transfer portal, Phillips noted that YSU remains a “developmental program” and that with MAC programs such as Kent State or Akron focusing more and more on transfers, it’s allowed YSU to target a higher level of high school recruits. That’s also been boosted by YSU’s ability to retain players from season to season. “I think retaining those players keeps you out of there,” Phillips said. “And the one thing that’s happening here (at YSU) because of the portal, there’s a lot better high school athletes available for you. We’ve seen that with the high school athletes we’re getting in our program, before they probably would have been at MAC schools. Those kids are getting overlooked.”

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2023, 01:00 PM
Read it and I call BS. YSU is still attracting subpar athletes. DP has produced 1 ( one) class of superior quality. Rest are average. Here’s the kicker - YSU suffered for decades ,except when Tressel was here, at getting superior athletes. He recruited few to no local athletes except those who went to a MAC school, usually Kent or Akron, that transferred back home for various reasons. He recruited Florida heavy. Local players have always preferred the full scholly MAC school, even a perennial loser like Kent over taking a partial big winning YSU scholly even though they could live at home and go to school cost free. That goes on now as locals clamor for a partial scholly because they can’t GET a full MAC scholly somewhere (or anywhere else)and a partial living at home gets them a no cost education. It’s one of the major reasons YSU is no longer a powerhouse.

The other side of the coin is in recruiting outside of the Valley. They quit on Florida, a MAJOR mistake and are recruiting elsewhere in Ohio. Usually that would be a wise move. But the other OHio recruits are also “ leftovers”. Take Crenshaw. All Ohio and had D-1 offers but to become a RB , not. QB. We got him with the understanding he got to play QB. The rest of the story is history. He wasn’t a D- 1 QB, now at Tenn. St. I believe. Most of the other YSU recruits in Ohio are of lower caliber. Hell , we are signing D-7 and D-6 players. If DP starts signing D-1 & 2 players of quality I’d be happy.

To be sure, our roster now would destroy most of FCS , but we lack the rosters of yesteryear when YSU was a National powerhouse with a quality roster and play in the toughest FCS league in the nation where we may be in a good year the 3rd or 4th best team and otherwise, just middle of the pack.

Check out the current roster and count the Valley guys ( Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbianna, Mercer and Lawrence Counties). It is a joke.

The Yo Show
August 2nd, 2023, 06:20 PM
Would you agree that DP has been better at recruiting than Pelini? Because I agree, we need to continue to recruit better, but I at least think DP has done a better job than was done under Pelini.

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2023, 07:55 PM
Would you agree that DP has been better at recruiting than Pelini? Because I agree, we need to continue to recruit better, but I at least think DP has done a better job than was done under Pelini.

That I would agree with. Pelini literally destroyed recruiting at YSU.

DP mistakes continues with handing out schollies to too many local kids who are inferior.
Fails to seriously recruit Florida.
Recruits Ohio players from real small division schools missing out on better players at the largest schools.
He also deviates from a program standard ( I.e., do we recruit dual threat QBs or drop back ). Then developes neither while having both.
He has a weak coaching staff, both in experience and making in game adjustments.

Otherwise, yep, he is better than Pelini.

Paladin1aa
August 6th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Heading into the season, appears that RB stack up like this -

Rushton, the senior gets to start after being the backup
King, the transfer is hot on his heals
Whatley and Harris as RFR are in hot pursuit of playing time.

Not counting injuries, who gets the most carries depends on production. This ranking could well change as the top 4 are close in abilities.

ysubigred
August 12th, 2023, 10:46 PM
Heading into the season, appears that RB stack up like this -

Rushton, the senior gets to start after being the backup
King, the transfer is hot on his heals
Whatley and Harris as RFR are in hot pursuit of playing time.

Not counting injuries, who gets the most carries depends on production. This ranking could well change as the top 4 are close in abilities.I'm thinking Harris.. young, hungry, and highly motivated, plus other MVFC teams had eyes on him from day one, can't be wrong.. Rushton is injury prone..

Paladin1aa
August 13th, 2023, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking Harris.. young, hungry, and highly motivated, plus other MVFC teams had eyes on him from day one, can't be wrong.. Rushton is injury prone..

Harris and Whatley are both RBs in the future. Whatley is more like Jaleel. It appears King will eventually replace Rushton as the starter. Better runner and receiver. Both will play.

O is behind schedule. YSU D will be the strength of the team this year. They might be one of best in the nation, even the MVFC.

The Yo Show
August 13th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Offense is usually behind defense though, especially early in camp. Given that our defense is likely to be amazing this year, I am not too concerned yet.

The Yo Show
August 13th, 2023, 07:46 PM
Also, Pally, if YSU offense is behind schedule... Ohio State's with their amazing high powered receivers REALLY is. I don't know if you follow their camp at all, but I have been and their offensive line play has been especially bad this camp. To quote their WR Emeka Egbuka "We can't even complete a screen pass right now". Also, Ohio State offensive line has 0 depth this year.

Paladin1aa
August 13th, 2023, 08:49 PM
YSU has made a fairly common mistake in the current OL. With 4 starters returning and needing a new starting C, they raided their current starters and changed 2 of them, forcing both to learn new positions. We are moving our starting LG to C and our starting LT to LG. That means they think they have a new reliable starter at LT but he lacks experience. I might add that depth is still a question mark here. Any injury will force a Chinese fire drill and remains to be seen if the former starters adapt to playing their new positions and the new LT becomes part of a cohesive unit. Jury is out on these moves.

QB battle is over. Mitch will start and Brungard backs him up. Two different QBs with different abilities. You will see Brungard as a Wildcat QB, stronger runner, weaker passer. Mitch is stronger passer, weaker runner. Other 2 QBs nowhere ready for the bright lights. If Mitch goes down , it is over with. Overall stronger passing team, running is a work in progress. Great WRs.

ysubigred
August 15th, 2023, 08:47 AM
One of the concerns we seem to overlook is special teams..

Appears kicking is looking ok.. Lastovka will be the replacement for 50/50 McFadden.

"Punting the most important play in football" "James Tressel" lynch the Ausie punter will need replaced. Another one I felt was 50/50.. seem there is some competition for that role. Kilpatrick is the upper classman being a sophomore.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2023, 11:56 AM
One of the concerns we seem to overlook is special teams..

Appears kicking is looking ok.. Lastovka will be the replacement for 50/50 McFadden.

"Punting the most important play in football" "James Tressel" lynch the Ausie punter will need replaced. Another one I felt was 50/50.. seem there is some competition for that role. Kilpatrick is the upper classman being a sophomore.

Kilpatrick wows the crowd with a strong leg punting and excellent ball placement. He is very effective pinning the ball just outside the end zone. Placekicking is an unknown. McFadden was just another in a long line of dubious local players who were suspect in talent. He relied on his dads old reputation, which he couldn’t measure up to.

ysubigred
August 19th, 2023, 09:10 PM
Well, today was the last scrimmage.. the RB Harris was far and away the most impressive of the players.. yards after contact is 3 x's what McLaughlin seemed to get I was told.. Sounds great, but I'll feel better seeing it again MVFC teams, not a scrimmage against teammates..

On defense, I guess we have some guys finally that can catch the ball well enough to be WR's.. [emoji2] also was informed size and speed looks better than last years guins..

Hopefully, the YSU faithful can see some after Thanksgiving football again before we're all dead [emoji56]

The Yo Show
August 22nd, 2023, 05:43 AM
WeAreYoungstown is hosting a Twitter spaces on YSU football this Thursday at 8pm. Should be a good time! Come on in an talk about the upcoming season and the penguins!

The Yo Show
August 25th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Link to the Twitter space (it was recorded):

https://twitter.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1694882107112206436?t=Hcg8gaIUI4nWLqVmYsvVFw&s=19