PDA

View Full Version : TXST Advisory Group Approves Move to FBS

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Word is coming out of San Marcos, Texas that a decision has been made by the advisory board appointed by the University President a few months ago, that they are FOR the move to FBS.

No official word from the institution yet, but there has been a fair share of information over the last few weeks that pointed in the direction that this would occur.

Texas State - San Marcos would more than likely be positioning itself to make the move when the moratorium comes to an end.

More news to follow when it becomes available, if it becomes available...

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Seems like half the Southland has moved up over the last decade.

SWT, er, TS-SM can draw if the right pieces are in place.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Seems like half the Southland has moved up over the last decade.

Just Troy and they were affiliate members -- just football. No one else has moved up in the last decade. ULM (NE Louisiana) was already up, just moved all their sports to the Sun Belt...

Question is...what conference currently has room for the San Marcos institution?

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Question is...what conference currently has room for the San Marcos institution?

The Sun Belt is the best option at this point.

patssle
October 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Are you kidding? The Sun Belt is a joke.

downbythebeach
October 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Kinda odd that a school named "Texas State" isnt in the BCS yet.....

uhhh the sun belt

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Sun Belt has 13 squads. They'd like to get down to 12 -- by Denver leaving the conference so they could have legitimate travel partners instead of odd-ball scheduling.

With WKU adding football to their Sun Belt, they have nine football schools. That's eight conference games so your looking at atleast two teams getting bowl-eligible from conference games alone. If South Alabama adds football, as discussed elsewhere, that's nine conference games and an additional team that would be bowl-eligible from the conference.

Sun Belt would only need members if the C-USA came and took someone from their ranks. And is that a given? Will C-USA be raided by the Big East or a split of the Big East?

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
What has Texas State record been like over the past few years to lead them to believe they are ready to make this move? To be honest when I think of the Southland conference, Texas State is not the first team that comes to mind.... Good luck with all of that!

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Kinda odd that a school named "Texas State" isnt in the BCS yet.....

They just became Texas State University - San Marcos in 2003. They were actually the third school to attempt a name change to "Texas State" over the years...

This is not their first attempt to move to I-A/FBS either as they even made such intentions known in their media guide a few years ago, back when Jim Wacker was AD...

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
What has Texas State record been like over the past few years to lead them to believe they are ready to make this move? To be honest when I think of the Southland conference, Texas State is not the first team that comes to mind.... Good luck with all of that!

Five winning seasons since 1984, when they moved to FCS...

That's in 23 seasons of FCS play. They are one loss from that being 24 seasons...

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
It think TSU could start as a football only member in the Sun Belt and join the Mid-Continent (now known as the Summit League) until an opening takes place in the Belt.

The school probably has a plan already if they're making the move. At least, I hope so...

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
It think TSU could start as a football only member in the Sun Belt and join the Mid-Continent (now known as the Summit League) until an opening takes place in the Belt.

The Sun Belt's new academic and athletic standards that came out a few months ago would not allow for TxSt-SM to join the Sun Belt as a football-only member. The rules actually reject any new members without football attached to come into the conference as well (for those non-BKB schools like Lamar that may be interested)...

The school probably has a plan already if they're making the move. At least, I hope so...

Not sure what that plan is and the variable to keep tabs on is UT-San Antonio...which may be a perfect partner to go into a conference with OR could completely ruin the San Marcos school and their chances...

slycat
October 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

ill miss you guys. of course this cant happen for a few years. though this move seems smart since utsa is doing it. we would lose a lot with two fbs schools in our recruiting area.

i am curious too as to what conference we will join. i hope its not the sun belt but i could see it happening with others jumping to cusa. maybe we can get in cusa but i dont see it happening.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
ill miss you guys. of course this cant happen for a few years. though this move seems smart since utsa is doing it. we would lose a lot with two fbs schools in our recruiting area.

What's the deal with your baseball/softball facility issue? Anything new on that front?

i am curious too as to what conference we will join. i hope its not the sun belt but i could see it happening with others jumping to cusa. maybe we can get in cusa but i dont see it happening.

UTSA would be the frontrunner for C-USA if they added football. Not sure if C-USA requires new schools to have football or not, if such a provision exists similar to the Sun Belt. Would the fans of your school really want to be in the Sun Belt or would they be better off in the SLC?

slycat
October 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM
What's the deal with your baseball/softball facility issue? Anything new on that front?

UTSA would be the frontrunner for C-USA if they added football. Not sure if C-USA requires new schools to have football or not, if such a provision exists similar to the Sun Belt. Would the fans of your school really want to be in the Sun Belt or would they be better off in the SLC?

the baseball/softball issue hasnt made any progress as far as ive heard. maybe this will change that. i know we are struggling with pleasing our old alumni ever since the name change. we just hired an swt grad where i work and he said he hates the new name and just wants to see the team plays in fbs. (of course he said d1 and had no idea about fcs and the level we play in.) this seems to be the mentality of many older fans so i wouldnt be shocked to see some more money come in with this announcement.

i could see utsa being the front runner for csua or them taking us both. we would be a great pair to put together. im sure their isnt room for both though. as for the fans they really would rather see us play in the sunbelt over the slc. the logic being people have heard of that conference. to bad no one has heard of some of the teams that play in the conference.

cusa is also a good choice seeing that smu, u of h, rice, and utep are in there. this would be great regional matchups. then teams like ucf could move to big east.

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 11:27 PM
the baseball/softball issue hasnt made any progress as far as ive heard. maybe this will change that. i know we are struggling with pleasing our old alumni ever since the name change. we just hired an swt grad where i work and he said he hates the new name and just wants to see the team plays in fbs. (of course he said d1 and had no idea about fcs and the level we play in.) this seems to be the mentality of many older fans so i wouldnt be shocked to see some more money come in with this announcement.

i could see utsa being the front runner for csua or them taking us both. we would be a great pair to put together. im sure their isnt room for both though. as for the fans they really would rather see us play in the sunbelt over the slc. the logic being people have heard of that conference. to bad no one has heard of some of the teams that play in the conference.

cusa is also a good choice seeing that smu, u of h, rice, and utep are in there. this would be great regional matchups. then teams like ucf could move to big east.

I would see UH, Rice, UTEP and SMU looking at your membership in much the same way some of your fans look at the SLC — as being beneath them. These are schools — well 3 of them anyway — who have a SWC history and are trying to maintain as much of their prestige as possible. And to be in the same conference as a school that most Texans think is "Division II" would be another blow to their "big-time" image.

Basically, I don't see it happening for Texas State. Maybe for UTSA because it never had football. But I still don't think adding football is a good idea for UTSA. Aside from TCU, the non-Big 12 Texas FBS schools have not done well in terms of fan support or on-field success.

FormerPokeCenter
October 30th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I would see UH, Rice, UTEP and SMU looking at your membership in much the same way some of your fans look at the SLC — as being beneath them. These are schools — well 3 of them anyway — who have a SWC history and are trying to maintain as much of their prestige as possible. And to be in the same conference as a school that most Texans think is "Division II" would be another blow to their "big-time" image.

Basically, I don't see it happening for Texas State. Maybe for UTSA because it never had football. But I still don't think adding football is a good idea for UTSA. Aside from TCU, the non-Big 12 Texas FBS schools have not done well in terms of fan support or on-field success.

Speaking of the SWC, maybe it's time for some forward thinking football enthusiasts to see who, if anybody, still owns the rights to the SWC name and reconstitute it with the likes of UNT, Houston, Rice - if interested, UTSA, Tx State, La. Tech and Tulane - if interested??

I think there needs to be another conference for the teams like those without being relegated to the WAC, C-USA or the Sun Belch. There are some tweener schools that would be a good fit....

McTailGator
October 30th, 2007, 05:58 AM
The only way this could work is for TxSU to propose a new conference. (Good luck w/ that)

But Jay is right, WAC is expensive (travel), CUSA is too scattered, and the Belch, well it's the Belch.

The old SWC has a chance here with teams like,

Houston
Rice
TxSU
UTSA
UTEP
NMSU
UNT
SMU
Tulsa
LaTech
Ark.State
Tulane

A champ game in San Antonio, and Bowl Tie ins to the Sun Bowl and maybe a Bowl in Houston or New Orleans.

This could be a good thing if they can convince the current CUSA schools mentioned to go for it.

Gil Dobie
October 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM

The Summit League has 10 members. New DI schools USD and UND will also be looking for a home in the next few years.

texcap
October 30th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Speaking of the SWC, maybe it's time for some forward thinking football enthusiasts to see who, if anybody, still owns the rights to the SWC name and reconstitute it with the likes of UNT, Houston, Rice - if interested, UTSA, Tx State, La. Tech and Tulane - if interested??

I think there needs to be another conference for the teams like those without being relegated to the WAC, C-USA or the Sun Belch. There are some tweener schools that would be a good fit....

I have read several times that the rights to the name Southwest Conference are owned by Texas State.

ButlerGSU
October 30th, 2007, 07:28 AM
TSU- SM has only been to the playoffs what one time in the last ten years? If they could not find success at the I-AA (FCS) level, what is the plan to find it at the I-A (FBS) level which requires a lot more resources? I wish them the best of luck though.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Legislation from the student government in San Marcos...emergency legislation that passed with no votes against it...seems they still don't understand NCAA nomenclature...

Emergency Legislation: October 29, 2007

“Where’s The Beef?”

S.R.F. 2007-2008/12

WHEREAS: Texas State University, after a lengthy period of study and reflection, has decided to take the next step in athletics through a plan to enter NCAA Division 1 (FBS) football in five years; and

WHEREAS: This move, while essential to the continued growth of Texas State as one of the premier universities in this state and in the country, will require a serious collective effort and sacrifice on the part of the student body and the administration; and

WHEREAS: As students we look towards the administration to set the tone by which this move will be made; and

WHEREAS: If this move is to be made the students of this university expect the administration to promote and support it with enthusiasm and vigor; and

WHEREAS: In the past similar efforts have been made to move Texas State football up to a higher division, and failed, largely due to a lack of enthusiasm and vision on the part of the administration; and

WHEREAS Due to this lack of enthusiasm and vision many alumni and supporters have chosen to withhold donations to Texas State; and

WHEREAS: If this move is to be taken seriously by the students, who will have to help fund it through an increase in the Athletics Fee, we require a show of good faith on the part of the administration which displays the aforementioned enthusiasm and vision; and

WHEREAS: Without this show of support and pride from the administration Texas State students could, and should, be reluctant to support such a move or fund it through an increase in fees; therefore

BE IT RESOLVED: By the Associated Student Government of Texas State University that University President Dr. Denise Trauth, or an authorized representative, hold a press conference or some other public event to enthusiastically announce that Texas State has decided to move up to NCAA Division 1 (FBS) in football; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the administration present a plan to the Associated Student Government with specific benchmarks, dates by which these benchmarks should be met, and the fiscal impact to the students, regarding this move up in football as soon as possible; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That President Trauth commit, in writing, to this move and that this commitment be published to the student body as a sign that we are all in this together, and that all levels of this university support and look forward to competing on a truly national level; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That a copy of this legislation be forwarded to University President Dr. Denise Trauth, Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Joanne Smith, Dean of Student Dr. John Garrison, and Athletic Director Dr. Larry Teis upon final passage.

BigApp
October 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Success (or lack of it) at this level is no indication of success (or lack of it) at the next level.

I wish Texas State well.

appstate38
October 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
The only way this could work is for TxSU to propose a new conference. (Good luck w/ that)

But Jay is right, WAC is expensive (travel), CUSA is too scattered, and the Belch, well it's the Belch.

The old SWC has a chance here with teams like,

Houston
Rice
TxSU
UTSA
UTEP
NMSU
UNT
SMU
Tulsa
LaTech
Ark.State
Tulane

A champ game in San Antonio, and Bowl Tie ins to the Sun Bowl and maybe a Bowl in Houston or New Orleans.

This could be a good thing if they can convince the current CUSA schools mentioned to go for it.

The resurrection of the old SWC would be better choice I think. But I hate to see schools leave the FCS for the over blown FBS. xnonono2x

3rd Coast Tiger
October 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM

OK stop right there....

How does Texas Southern come into this conversation?

Khan4Cats
October 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I have read several times that the rights to the name Southwest Conference are owned by Texas State.

I have heard that as well.

TheRiver
October 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Yes TXST has the right to the name SWC (Southwest Conference).

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
OK stop right there....

How does Texas Southern come into this conversation?

Because as much as the folks in San Marcos said that there'd be no confusion between the two schools, there is as everyone calls them something different with plenty of TSU references (even though the school insists on TXST).

I call them TSU-SM quite a bit along with many other names, just depends what rolls off the tongue! xnodx

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
The resurrection of the old SWC would be better choice I think. But I hate to see schools leave the FCS for the over blown FBS. xnonono2x

There's a reason why the old SWC no longer exists...

Getting into a new SWC is not good for anyone. It just does not work in this day and age with television contracts and such. HS football would outdraw the new SWC on television so FoxSW, the only ones who'd want to touch it, would show no interest. As regional a league as it would be, no national TV contracts would go their way...

aust42
October 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM
With WKU adding football to their Sun Belt, they have nine football schools. That's eight conference games so your looking at atleast two teams getting bowl-eligible from conference games alone.

Sunbelt (currently ranked behind three 1AA conferences in the Saragin) has only had two at large teams selected to play in a toilet bowl since it was formed in 2001. The Sunbelt is lucky to have two teams bowl eligible each year. Another mediocre 1AA wanting to join the Sunbelt. Why?

slycat
October 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
TSU- SM has only been to the playoffs what one time in the last ten years? If they could not find success at the I-AA (FCS) level, what is the plan to find it at the I-A (FBS) level which requires a lot more resources? I wish them the best of luck though.

as i stated before its not about success for many of our fans. many people have the mentality of we might as well suck where atleast people have heard of the teams we play. our schools gets a good turnout for rice, baylor, smu, and others when they come to texas st to play other sports such as baseball and basketball.

and sadly many fans wont donate until we play in the fbs.

HPCAT
October 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Because as much as the folks in San Marcos said that there'd be no confusion between the two schools, there is as everyone calls them something different with plenty of TSU references (even though the school insists on TXST).

I call them TSU-SM quite a bit along with many other names, just depends what rolls off the tongue! xnodx

Terrorist, you crack me up...........LOL

If you are as smart as you think you are, why would you not use the globally accepted acronym proposed by the University, instead of trying to promote confusion with your thousands of posts containing made up drivil ? You post more about TXST than anyone, does that not seem to be odd to you ? And, don't just tell me you are a SLC or FCS fan, I am too. Don't you want to be a sports writer or annnouncer or something ? Consistent accurate data would be important in that arena, don't you think ?

ESPN did not have any issues with confusion on the global broadcasts of the playoff games in 2005.

"everyone" does not use a different moniker for THE TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY.

I have been on many boards across the nation, and it is a simple case of ony the uneducated and the extremely anal that do not. Which category are you in ? xrolleyesx :p

I have only seen SHS take a SLC press release and modify it to add San Marcos for every instance of Texas State, now that is anal. And refer to the University as San Marcos during the FB games. Get over it.

Sorry, long day, THANK GOD my cruise is next week.

And last, but not least, all of this venting is IMHO.

Peace

HPCAT
October 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
as i stated before its not about success for many of our fans. many people have the mentality of we might as well suck where atleast people have heard of the teams we play. our schools gets a good turnout for rice, baylor, smu, and others when they come to texas st to play other sports such as baseball and basketball.

If you have an opinion, state it as such ,don't try to speak for "many" TXST fans. Can you substantiate your claims, of course not.

IMHO, I, for one, as well as all the top Universtiy donors I know expect success now and in the future. The mentality you describe may exist in the crowd you frequent, but not mine.

TXST has won at many SLC games as anyone in the League the last 4 years, and as numerous folks have pointed out, FCS success or lack of it, does not constitute success at the FBS level.

IMO, people confuse alumni/students with fans, if you are a fan you support and donate to the program, just because you are a alumni or student, does not mean you are a fan.

slycat
October 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM
If you have an opinion, state it as such ,don't try to speak for "many" TXST fans. Can you substantiate your claims, of course not.

IMHO, I, for one, as well as all the top Universtiy donors I know expect success now and in the future. The mentality you describe may exist in the crowd you frequent, but not mine.

TXST has won at many SLC games as anyone in the League the last 4 years, and as numerous folks have pointed out, FCS success or lack of it, does not constitute success at the FBS level.

IMO, people confuse alumni/students with fans, if you are a fan you support and donate to the program, just because you are a alumni or student, does not mean you are a fan.

well that is the idea many express on bobcatfans which is what i was referencing. i personally expect mild to moderate success if we move up much like we have in the slc. i hope the best for the university and will donate back to the school once i gain ground financially whether the program is good or not.

but it has been pointed out by that d1 by june 1 group or whatever that they will only donate money once the move is made.

msusig
October 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Texas State will most likely be at the bottom of any league it joins in the FBS and maybe an occasional winning season.

2007 Texas St. 3-5 (currently) McNeese will win conference
2006 Texas St. 5-6 & McNeese won conference
2005 Texas St. 11-3 & Texas St. won conference
2004 Texas St. 5-6
2003 Texas St. 4-8 & McNeese won conference
2002 Texas St. 4-7 & McNeese won conference

Maybe McNeese should be looking at moving up not Texas St.

slycat
October 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Texas State will most likely be at the bottom of any league it joins in the FBS and maybe an occasional winning season.

2004 Texas St. 5-6

it isnt about winning or losing its about getting fans to games. 99% of students i talk to or even alumni want us to move up. the theory is that we will get better players who leave the austin-sa corridor to play at utep or houston. they have dreams of playing fbs football but arent good enough for ut or a&m. if we move up we will have to great location to recruit from. either way, win or lose, if we play more regional teams our attendance will go up. of course if we join the sunbelt i doubt there will be much of a difference. like i said this will work if we play in cusa but if we go to sunbelt it could be trouble.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hasn't the budget for Texas State University - San Marcos been the biggest in the SLC for years? And they still can not consistently produce in football and men's basketball, the two most important sports in the eyes of anyone that follows collegiate athletics?

Wonder what the budgets are of the conference that the San Marcos institution thinks they can get into -- as well as can the Bobcats actually compete consistently in a conference they have more equal footing on...

I do not see a move to C-USA on the horizon. I do not think moving to the Sun Belt, which is not an option unless the dominoes fall (same goes for C-USA), would actually aid TxSt-San Marcos at this time...it may even hurt them more...

slycat
October 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hasn't the budget for Texas State University - San Marcos been the biggest in the SLC for years? And they still can not consistently produce in football and men's basketball, the two most important sports in the eyes of anyone that follows collegiate athletics?

Wonder what the budgets are of the conference that the San Marcos institution thinks they can get into -- as well as can the Bobcats actually compete consistently in a conference they have more equal footing on...

I do not see a move to C-USA on the horizon. I do not think moving to the Sun Belt, which is not an option unless the dominoes fall (same goes for C-USA), would actually aid TxSt-San Marcos at this time...it may even hurt them more...

then where do you see us going if the move happens?

as far as the budget goes they will just jack up student fees to pay for it until donations roll in. and you know money doesnt simply buy success. it takes good leadership and vision. something our AD doesnt have.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2007, 07:55 PM
then where do you see us going if the move happens?

Bobcats have no destination right now. Stairs to nowhere land. They need dominoes to fall. What conference would take them? C-USA and Sun Belt are full right now. Do those conferences really want to grow larger? C-USA is having enough problems getting basketball on track and Sun Belt is hoping South Alabama adds football then finding enough bowl spots for those eligible teams...

as far as the budget goes they will just jack up student fees to pay for it until donations roll in. and you know money doesnt simply buy success. it takes good leadership and vision. something our AD doesnt have.

Student fees only go to scholarship $$$...

MSU_77
October 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM

2004 Texas St. 5-6

Of course, you know that McNeese was I-A, but voluntarily moved down to I-AA in 1983. And, it wasn't like we weren't successful in I-A, going 11-0 in 1979 and 10-1 in 1980, and going to three bowl games in 5 years.

ButlerGSU
October 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
it isnt about winning or losing its about getting fans to games. 99% of students i talk to or even alumni want us to move up. the theory is that we will get better players who leave the austin-sa corridor to play at utep or houston. they have dreams of playing fbs football but arent good enough for ut or a&m. if we move up we will have to great location to recruit from. either way, win or lose, if we play more regional teams our attendance will go up. of course if we join the sunbelt i doubt there will be much of a difference. like i said this will work if we play in cusa but if we go to sunbelt it could be trouble.

Savannah State wants/wanted to be D-I based on those exact same principles but it isn't always in the cards. G'luck!

3rd Coast Tiger
October 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Sometimes its just best to not even post when you don't have a clue on what you're talking about.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Sometimes its just best to not even post when you don't have a clue on what you're talking about.

xthumbsupx xnodx

personally, i don't want us to move up (don't think we're ready at all), but if that's what's in the cards, then i'll continue to donate regardless. it's my alma mater--no matter what, i'll support the university that's afforded me so many opportunities.

patssle
October 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I could really care less what to call Texas State by. But...a good reason to call them Texas State University - San Marcos is because they get all uppity about it. And hey...if that is all it takes to make a rival get uppity over their real name...go for it.

AppMan
October 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Success (or lack of it) at this level is no indication of success (or lack of it) at the next level.

I wish Texas State well.

Hasn't been an issue with UConn or USF.

Retro
October 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
UCONN had the benefit of already being a big east member and highly succesful men's and women's basketball teams. Those things pump a lot of money into the athletic department without taking from football, unlike what is usually an issue with most current FCS teams and some recent FBS teams...

USF has about 40,000 students and is the college in a large town (tampa), so they have a huge market to draw from, get fans, students and money, not to mention a decent recruiting ground in their backyard. Also a Big East member now.

TXST is more likely to end up like ULL or Rice, depending on it's conference, if any. Fans will not simply come because of the competition if your getting spanked year in and year out, nor will people put money into a losing program with no immediate improvement..xnonox

If Mcneese had the facilties and a little more money incoming, they'd be a better candidate for FBS provided they got into a BCS conference, due to their winning tradition and fan support at home and away.. There's always a little more interest from casual fans with teams that move up, but it only lasts for teams that make progress unlike ULL and ULM.xrulesx

If say 10 years from now, there was a 16 team playoff in the FBS with all conferences having automatic bids (with certain requirements), i could see Mcneese moving up as by then as the fieldhouse will be done along with many other upgrades in the planning stages. Of course by then there could be 150 FBS teams and it would take 9 wins and a conference title just to be considered for a playoff spot, etc., so who knows what Div I will look like.xoopsx

MaximumBobcat
October 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Bobcats have no destination right now. Stairs to nowhere land.

Our Athletic Director has been in contact with the WAC.

And for those wondering about the SWC name issue...here's a little tidbit...

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=southwestconference.com

I know that TxSt has not been that successful over the past 20+ years in I-AA. We were fantastic in Div II, with back to back National Championships in the early 80's. Once we moved up to I-AA, we kind of lost steam and just "existed" until about 2001-02 when the University started growing a lot larger, our academics started improving and then soon afterwards we dropped the Southwest from our name. Attendance started improving around 03 and 04 and then we had a breakout season in 2005. Our school is growing and a lot of people feel that a more prominent (see: FBS) football team works as the front porch of the university and improves the overall image of the university. Also, students down here like football, but it is very difficult to get students to come to our games to see the Cats take on Nicholls State or Northwestern State, two conference rivals that few of our students have ever heard of. Winning will cure all problems, but most of our fans would rather see us take on the U of H Cougars then the SLU Lions.

TxSt used to compete for students with other FCS institutions like SHSU, SFA, etc. As our academics have grown we have started competing for students more with A&M, UNT, etc. With those students come higher expectations apparently, as one of the main driving forces of this movement has been the Associated Student Government.

TT, you mentioned the baseball complex. If you read the legislation, the ASG has requested a plan with specific benchmarks, the new baseball and softball complex will be a top priority in that plan. We are currently in the process of installing brand new videoboards for the softball and baseball stadium. Once we get a decent bankroll, construction will begin on actual buildings and bleachers, etc. There has been under the table discussions of big name donors willing to pony up the bucks to the Athletic Department as soon as they presented a plan to move up to FBS. We will see in the next few years if those rumors are true. And I agree with those that say winning is not a prerequisite of moving to FBS. It would be preferred by the conference that you are trying to join of course, but it is more about $$$, attendance and more $$$.

This is of course all 4-5 years down the road. We will try to continue to improve our facilities and work on fielding more consistent teams, no matter the level. All this conference talk is moot right now because who knows what conference shakeups could happen in 2-3 years?

my $.02 xtwocentsx

McNeese_beat
October 31st, 2007, 12:03 AM
UCONN had the benefit of already being a big east member and highly succesful men's and women's basketball teams. Those things pump a lot of money into the athletic department without taking from football, unlike what is usually an issue with most current FCS teams and some recent FBS teams...

USF has about 40,000 students and is the college in a large town (tampa), so they have a huge market to draw from, get fans, students and money, not to mention a decent recruiting ground in their backyard. Also a Big East member now.

TXST is more likely to end up like ULL or Rice, depending on it's conference, if any. Fans will not simply come because of the competition if your getting spanked year in and year out, nor will people put money into a losing program with no immediate improvement..xnonox

If Mcneese had the facilties and a little more money incoming, they'd be a better candidate for FBS provided they got into a BCS conference, due to their winning tradition and fan support at home and away.. There's always a little more interest from casual fans with teams that move up, but it only lasts for teams that make progress unlike ULL and ULM.xrulesx

If say 10 years from now, there was a 16 team playoff in the FBS with all conferences having automatic bids (with certain requirements), i could see Mcneese moving up as by then as the fieldhouse will be done along with many other upgrades in the planning stages. Of course by then there could be 150 FBS teams and it would take 9 wins and a conference title just to be considered for a playoff spot, etc., so who knows what Div I will look like.xoopsx

The most profitable sports team one could possibly have outside of a BCS football team is a basketball team that consistently plays in, and wins, in the NCAA tourney...
Just ask Gonzaga...

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Bobcats have no destination right now. Stairs to nowhere land. They need dominoes to fall. What conference would take them? C-USA and Sun Belt are full right now. Do those conferences really want to grow larger? C-USA is having enough problems getting basketball on track and Sun Belt is hoping South Alabama adds football then finding enough bowl spots for those eligible teams...

Student fees only go to scholarship $$$...

I guess they could be an independent for a while till an opening becomes available. Schedule Nebraska, Texas, Auburn, Clemson, Oregon State - pocket some cash, increase fan interest with a quality FBS at home. Who knows.

I was very impressed with TS's infrastructure, they got a top **** stadium, passionate fans, high student population, sports friendly administration, very nice university and beautiful town. It might be rough for a while but they can do it, especially where they are.

MaximumBobcat
October 31st, 2007, 12:54 AM
I guess they could be an independent for a while till an opening becomes available. Schedule Nebraska, Texas, Auburn, Clemson, Oregon State - pocket some cash, increase fan interest with a quality FBS at home. Who knows.

I was very impressed with TS's infrastructure, they got a top **** stadium, passionate fans, high student population, sports friendly administration, very nice university and beautiful town. It might be rough for a while but they can do it, especially where they are.

We are still working on a sports friendly administration. Our University President is an east coast chick that has done great things for our academics but delegates everything about athletics to the athletic director Larry Teis, not only because it's his job, but because she knows NOTHING.

Our athletic director has continually failed to meet even the fans minimal expectations on quite a few fronts and some are fed up with it. For more information check out: http://www.BobcatsForChange.com

You are quite correct on the other points though. Great town, plentiful and passionate fans/students and a great geographic location to recruit student-athletes.

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2007, 07:51 AM

The WAC?

Is that really the best option? Louisiana Tech would like out of there if they had a chance. Travel is rough in that conference, though you get the "bonus" in all of your sports of playing Hawaii as far as the NCAA rules go for playing there.

The WAC would actually be a pretty decent conference for the Bobcats. Texas State University - San Marcos is a very comparable institution to Idaho and New Mexico State if you ask me. Bobcats could come in and be very competitive in baseball for sure (WAC has affiliate member in Sacramento State in that sport).

dbackjon
October 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM
The best thing about a Texas State move to FBS would be that it would give Texas Terror one less thing to obsess about - and save him all the extra time it takes to type out "San Marcos" in every post. :D

NSUDemon98
October 31st, 2007, 10:59 AM

And for those wondering about the SWC name issue...here's a little tidbit...

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=southwestconference.com

Also, students down here like football, but it is very difficult to get students to come to our games to see the Cats take on Nicholls State or Northwestern State

Yeah, b/c when TxSt comes to NSU we are just packed with people to see y'all...And our students don't know or care who y'all are either. I guess maybe if we had bigger names coming to Turpin people would come to our games.

I don't know, you just make it sound as if TxSt is some world class university that everyone has heard of. I know that is the perception of your student body.

It's like that kid in h.s. who tries way too hard to fit in with the cool crowd.

MSU_77
October 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, b/c when TxSt comes to NSU we are just packed with people to see y'all...And our students don't know or care who y'all are either. I guess maybe if we had bigger names coming to Turpin people would come to our games.

I don't know, you just make it sound as if TxSt is some world class university that everyone has heard of. I know that is the perception of your student body.

It's like that kid in h.s. who tries way too hard to fit in with the cool crowd.

They aspire to be the UL@L of Texas. Now, that's something to be proud of. xrolleyesx

D1B
October 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
We are still working on a sports friendly administration. Our University President is an east coast chick that has done great things for our academics but delegates everything about athletics to the athletic director Larry Teis, not only because it's his job, but because she knows NOTHING.

Our athletic director has continually failed to meet even the fans minimal expectations on quite a few fronts and some are fed up with it. For more information check out: http://www.BobcatsForChange.com

You are quite correct on the other points though. Great town, plentiful and passionate fans/students and a great geographic location to recruit student-athletes.

Thanks for the heads up. After witnessing the NC SF against Northern Iowa in 2005, I was impressed with the whole atmosphere and assumed the admin was on board, totally.

Yes indeed, San Marcos and Texas State is one great place to be. I'm planning to visit again hopefully soon. We had a great time.

Texas will get theirs but I would imagine that TS could keep some recruits from playing at Iowa State, Syracuse, Nebraska, etc...

I would advise caution to schools contemplating the transition, but I think its a wise move for Texas State.

BearsCountry
October 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Best of luck to our name change buddies and hopefully we will follow in a few years.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
So I take it this advisory committee knows it's all about the money now right?

Some of you know what I'm getting at.

lizrdgizrd
October 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM

So you're hoping that these fans that don't donate now will donate enough to offset the additional costs to play at the FBS level? How long will they do that if you continue to suck?

MaximumBobcat
October 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM

I'm not going to retract my statement, because it is what I meant, but you did take it the wrong way.

Don't you think Northwestern State students would much rather go to home games against Louisiana Tech, McNeese and UL-Monroe, then Texas St, SHSU and Stephen F. Austin? Of course they would. xnodx

BearsCountry
October 31st, 2007, 03:19 PM
The WAC?

Is that really the best option? Louisiana Tech would like out of there if they had a chance. Travel is rough in that conference, though you get the "bonus" in all of your sports of playing Hawaii as far as the NCAA rules go for playing there.

The WAC would actually be a pretty decent conference for the Bobcats. Texas State University - San Marcos is a very comparable institution to Idaho and New Mexico State if you ask me. Bobcats could come in and be very competitive in baseball for sure (WAC has affiliate member in Sacramento State in that sport).

WAC > Southland

centexguy
October 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Texas State does have a few obstacles to overcome in order by successful at the FBS level.

1. They are in the same metro area as UT-Austin and they live and breath UT football there. And just down the highway is UT-San Antonio with their own plans of going FBS. Like UNT in Denton, they'll have a hard time getting media attention. And being located on the out-skirts of the Austin metro area in San Marcus, I'm not sure how much corporate support they would get.

2. They have very little athletic tradition. (Southwest) Texas State was known as party school for a long time and athletics have always come second. They need a lot of improvements in their facilities to be considered for the WAC (or even the Sunbelt). For a University with over 25,000 students, they barely draw 12K for their football games and maybe 1000 for their basketball games.

3. With UTSA, South Alabama, and probably Lamar starting football in 2010, there will be even more competition for football players from Texas. They have a hard time winning now, it's going to be harder at the FBS level.

With the 4 year moratorium, they have a few years to figure things out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas State, UTSA, and Lamar team up and move up together to a FBS conference if there's a big breakup of conferences in 2011 or 2012.

FormerPokeCenter
October 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Also, students down here like football, but it is very difficult to get students to come to our games to see the Cats take on Nicholls State or Northwestern State,

Particularly if you've never beaten them with any regularity....

NSUDemon98
October 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to retract my statement, because it is what I meant, but you did take it the wrong way.

Don't you think Northwestern State students would much rather go to home games against Louisiana Tech, McNeese and UL-Monroe, then Texas St, SHSU and Stephen F. Austin? Of course they would. xnodx

Maybe I did take it the wrong way, sorry. However you have to admit that the reason you used those schools for your analogy was for the implication that y'all are on the same level as UNT, Rice, SMU, etc. and THAT is the reason why your students don't come to games when you play NSU, Nicholls, SLU, etc.

And as far as our students coming to see LaTech, McNeese, ULM, or ULL over y'all, SFA, SHSU I am not sure it would matter who we are playing this year...there would still be noone at the games.

MaximumBobcat
October 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
I know this link has popped up on BobcatFans a couple of dozen times. Just owning the domain name doesn't mean you own the trademark. The US Patent & Trademark Office website does not list that domain name as owned by TxSt. Is there any actual PROOF that TxSt owns that trademark?

Yes I am aware it doesn't prove anything outright, but as I said it's just a little tidbit of info that is leaning towards that TxSt owns the name. I also would like to have some more proof, just for my own curiosity, but I'm afraid I don't know anything else. Maybe one day some one will request some info from the Patent office?

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Questions...

What are the positives of a Texas State - San Marcos in the WAC? Does it improve the WAC and how?

Does the WAC really want in Texas or is this really a way to help keep La Tech in the fold? Does La Tech even want to be in the WAC to begin with or do they prefer something like C-USA?

MaximumBobcat
October 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Questions...

What are the positives of a Texas State - San Marcos in the WAC? Does it improve the WAC and how?

Does the WAC really want in Texas or is this really a way to help keep La Tech in the fold? Does La Tech even want to be in the WAC to begin with or do they prefer something like C-USA?

Our basketball team is improving, or baseball team is already really good. Our football team is inconsistent and something we need to improve on.

Our softball and soccer teams are normally pretty good, as well as our women's track and field IIRC.

Here are some opinions of the move from WAC fans...

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=253638

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=242997

But as I said before this is all MOOT. For all we know there might not even be a WAC conference in 5 years (99.9999% chance of that not happening) but the point is, conference shakeups will happen soon and nobody knows who will go where, which conferences will be accepting transitional programs, etc.

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Best point made by the WAC folks is that no team has ever jumped straight from FCS to the WAC.

The WAC folks feels they are a middle of the line conference and will only take teams who have been around awhile.

Seems according to several posters, that they heavily prefer the conference be a true 'Western' conference...the San Marcos school doesn't necessarily fit in that equation...

texcap
October 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Yes I am aware it doesn't prove anything outright, but as I said it's just a little tidbit of info that is leaning towards that TxSt owns the name. I also would like to have some more proof, just for my own curiosity, but I'm afraid I don't know anything else. Maybe one day some one will request some info from the Patent office?

This is what I found at the Patent Office website with a very basic search: There have been four registrations of the name Southwest Conference and all of those registrations are dead.

Here is the link: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=h9ukp2.1.1
I used the term "southwest conference"

MaximumBobcat
October 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Best point made by the WAC folks is that no team has ever jumped straight from FCS to the WAC.

The WAC folks feels they are a middle of the line conference and will only take teams who have been around awhile.

Seems according to several posters, that they heavily prefer the conference be a true 'Western' conference...the San Marcos school doesn't necessarily fit in that equation...

You only focused on the negatives, there were a few encouraging words in there too. Guess you missed those huh? xconfusedx

But who cares anyways? The WAC is there, we are in the Southland, we can start worrying about conferences YEARS down the road if this proposed move ever gets any steam behind it. We will see, but for now we can focus on improving our football stadium, fielding better teams, building a new baseball stadium and competing for the NCAA Div. I Football National Championship! xrotatehx

GeauxLions94
October 31st, 2007, 08:57 PM
They aspire to be the UL@L of Texas. Now, that's something to be proud of. xrolleyesx

I thought it was the UL@M of Texas. Nevermind, they'll just be the UL U Pickem xrolleyesx

McNeese75
November 1st, 2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. After witnessing the NC SF against Northern Iowa in 2005, I was impressed with the whole atmosphere and assumed the admin was on board, totally.

Yes indeed, San Marcos and Texas State is one great place to be. I'm planning to visit again hopefully soon. We had a great time.

Texas will get theirs but I would imagine that TS could keep some recruits from playing at Iowa State, Syracuse, Nebraska, etc...

I would advise caution to schools contemplating the transition, but I think its a wise move for Texas State.

You visited San Marcos during the peak of their Football success in Division I. Run on down there and watch a game the next few weeks and see what you think. The town and school has ALWAYS been a party school (in fact thats all it used to be known for years ago, well that and the Strutters). They will eventually transition and they will still be in the shadows of UT beating their chest and trying to make chicken salad out of ...........

That is my rant but my opinion is they need to go ahead and do this and drink the kool-aid so they do not have to play (and loose more often than not) to the sub par teams of the Universities in the Southland. xwhistlex

slycat
November 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
You visited San Marcos during the peak of their Football success in Division I. Run on down there and watch a game the next few weeks and see what you think. The town and school has ALWAYS been a party school (in fact thats all it used to be known for years ago, well that and the Strutters). They will eventually transition and they will still be in the shadows of UT beating their chest and trying to make chicken salad out of ...........

That is my rant but my opinion is they need to go ahead and do this and drink the kool-aid so they do not have to play (and loose more often than not) to the sub par teams of the Universities in the Southland. xwhistlex

please. every college is a party school. im sure i could find just as many parties at mcneese. xrolleyesx

McNeese75
November 1st, 2007, 12:14 AM
please. every college is a party school. im sure i could find just as many parties at mcneese. xrolleyesx

I doubt it. 27,000 students vs 8,500 xlolx

BearsCountry
November 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM

Come on you guys are in Louisiana, that whole state is a party. :)

Fresno St. Alum
November 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
when will Texas St. make an offical announcement? This year? next summer?

McNeese75
November 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Come on you guys are in Louisiana, that whole state is a party. :)

:D Y'all wanna party? Bring those tubes and ice chests and come float down our waterways

http://www.saltgrassflats.com/images/gator_anahuac_nwr_02a.jpg

slycat
November 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM

you know what mean. same amount of partying ratio wise.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
As I posted on the Bobcat fans board...

I'll be quite frank...how does an institution that ranks near the bottom in the state of Texas in terms of state funding per student intend to move to FBS?

SHSU is not too far behind the San Marcos institution (who may be dead last -- would have to check some numbers) and our administration is not too thrilled with these numbers -- which have apparently become the Chancellor's biggest concerns.

The folks in San Marcos are already having to foot more of the bill per student as far as academics compared to almost every school in the state. Isn't academics the primary function of the institution? Seems that the system and the institution would need to correct this sometime soon in order to help the FBS effort.

citdog
November 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

WE HAVE PARTIES AT THE CITADEL. SWEAT PARTIES.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM
9981 in attendance at Bobcat Stadium yesterday...according to the fans on the Bobcat forums, it was even less than that with many fans leaving at the end of halftime and end of third quarter...this is an FBS program in the making! ;)

MplsBison
November 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
What was UConn's attendance back when they were playing I-AA on campus?

Any of the full scholarship FCS programs could move to FBS if you donated enough money to them.

"If you build it, they will come."

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Any of the full scholarship FCS programs could move to FBS if you donated enough money to them.

Texas State - San Marcos is having enough problems raising $$$ for their baseball/softball facility...not sure they can fund an FBS move while funding a new facility for those two sports, which they have a rather successful background in...

MaximumBobcat
November 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Texas State - San Marcos is having enough problems raising $$$ for their baseball/softball facility...not sure they can fund an FBS move while funding a new facility for those two sports, which they have a rather successful background in...

We've had a few multi million dollar donations hung above our AD's head. They were dependent on a move to FBS. We will have to wait and see if we make an official announcement and if the donations will actually come in.

Worry about your program and we'll worry about ours. Ok, TT?

MplsBison
November 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
My guess is that he doesn't like the idea of TSU becoming the flagship of the TSUS.

Why doesn't SH go independent, like SFA?

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
My guess is that he doesn't like the idea of TSU becoming the flagship of the TSUS.

Texas Southern will never become the flagship of the TSUS. The system is very pro-SHSU with SHSU folks controlling the Board of Regents right now, the Chancellor realizing that SHSU needs more state funding as we're doing remarkably well despite being one of the lowest funded per student by the state and of course, the fastest growing institution in the state while we continue to increase our academic standards...

Texas Southern on the other hand has the attention of the state of Texas right now due to the Slade trial, the ongoing issues with the Board of Regents (Governor Perry just put some more on board) and of course, the faithful's attitude towards the athletic admin.

Wait, were you talking about Texas State - San Marcos? You got to be clearer -- the folks in San Marcos promised their pals in Houston to not go by TSU...

The pundits in San Marcos realize they don't have a chance at flagship. There's a reason they dropped it. SHSU actually published a report a few years ago which actually made SHSU sound like the better choice -- to the point the old student body president gave the academic and research edge to SHSU in such an argument.

Throw in the fact, SHSU with about 35% less athletic budget was outperforming the San Marcos institution in the Commish Cup didn't hurt either! ;)

Why doesn't SH go independent, like SFA?

SFA has had their share of problems too, just like TxSo, just not as public or as bad. The independent schools in the state have had some bad years as of late. Also, the state is leaning towards consolidation. Bet we'll see those free-standing schools get taken into systems in a few years, just looking at the background of some of the folks in Higher Ed.

SHSU has some vision under our current leadership. He's doing a lot in the public eye and a great deal behind the scene to set up our university for years to come. We're even protected from a name change, so no TEXAS STATE - SAM HOUSTON name. Wouldn't want to sound like a second tier institution of an institution that we are relatively equal, if not above in so many areas...

3rd Coast Tiger
November 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
TT,

You swore up and down that Senators Ogden and Shapiro was going to shut us down or put us under a system over a year ago but turns out we got every cent we requested in appropriations as well as the remaining balance of the OCR funds so please STFU when it comes to Texas Southern and tell your "contacts" check with Steve and Florence and find out the real deal.

I'm on the phone with six state representatives and 2 senators every week; how many you have personal relationships with?

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM
You swore up and down that Senators Ogden and Shapiro was going to shut us down or put us under a system over a year ago but turns out we got every cent we requested in appropriations as well as the remaining balance of the OCR funds so please STFU when it comes to Texas Southern and tell your "contacts" check with Steve and Florence and find out the real deal.

I'm not a real big fan of Sen. Ogden. He's struck out in his representation of SHSU a few years back with me. If it wasn't for Rep. Kolkhorst, he wouldn't of realized that he would have to get a hand in on the SHSU name protection legislation...

I've never said TxSo was going to shutdown, I just felt that they would be put under a system. If not now, maybe down the road as system consolidation takes over.

Each of the free-standing schools outside of maybe Tx Womens, is a mess. TxSo, their problems are well known, down to the bats in the residence halls. SFA is going nowhere right now - no growth what so ever (which is not good when the school you compare yourself to, SHSU, has jumped leaps and bounds) and they have a little revolving door for administrators there as well.

The only reason I brought TxSo into this argument is that someone called Texas State University - San Marcos, "TSU". While the schools, according to the fans, both have questionable athletic leadership, I am not sure there's much else to compare between the schools.

Back to the topic...so, what's the latest in San Marcos?

MaximumBobcat
November 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
so no TEXAS STATE - SAM HOUSTON name. Wouldn't want to sound like a second tier institution of an institution that we are relatively equal, if not above in so many areas...

Why would you want to be second tier, when you guys have earned third tier status?

U.S. News ranking:
Universities–Master's (West), third tier

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_3606_brief.php

chrisattsu
November 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Why would you want to be second tier, when you guys have earned third tier status?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_3606_brief.php

lollerskates...

This is slowly degenerating into a Smack Thread.

I know TxSo calls themselves TSU and owns the rights to TSU.edu, but to me TSU will always be Tarleton State University. To be honest, I had never heard of Texas Southern until I started posting on this board. They don't exactly recruit or advertise in my part of the state.

MaximumBobcat
November 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
lollerskates...

I know TxSo calls themselves TSU and owns the rights to TSU.edu, but to me TSU will always be Tarleton State University. To be honest, I had never heard of Texas Southern until I started posting on this board. They don't exactly recruit or advertise in my part of the state.

Haha, that was no smack, just back-handed comments and truthful yet dishonest ways of skewing stats that I'm learning about from the master, TT. xpeacex

But seriously though, TT you were asking about recent news...there isn't any. The university hasn't officially said anything about going to FBS recently. A committee that our president put together has had some info leaked about the move and our student government is supporting a bill to move. That's it, the administration hasn't said one iota of information about anything, and no one can say with 100% certainty what the committee will recommend.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
lollerskates...

Funny you say that; the majority of our alums have never heard of Tarleton State as well.

chrisattsu
November 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Funny you say that; the majority of our alums have never heard of Tarleton State as well.

Doesn't surprise me. We're kept under the Umbrella of Big Momma A&M. Tarleton recruits heavy in the Metroplex, the small communities in the Cross timbers area, and West-Central Texas (San Angelo, Abilene, Midland-Odessa). Stephenville's rural environment and rodeo culture tend to make people from other parts of the state uncomfortable when they show up on campus.

PMB4Life
November 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So I take it this advisory committee knows it's all about the money now right?

It's important that the TXST (I guess) know of the precendents established...

Cash, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
C.R.E.A.M.
Get the money
Dollar, dollar bill y'all

True then, true now.

KleinTx05
November 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
WOW there is A LOT of HATER-AIDE being passed around in Prisonville PussyKat State U ...(I mean Sam Houston State University). TT why cant you be happy for us man ...You are constantly over on our board posting and yet since i been a Houstonian/Bobcatfan ...i really cant remember YOUR sweet azz orange so called football team beating us besides the year of the conference title ...Thats right 3 straight wins pal!!! Things that make you say HMMMM!!! My friend i think the committy would move Texas State up to FBS simply because we have more people that attend here ...Other than a logical McNeese move you fail to see that we WILL have the funds to improve our facilities, move forward and become a vital asset to ANY conference we get invited to ...Yeah it may take us a while to produce winning ways BUT then again maybe it wont. And for those who say that the WAC is outta our league is COMPLETELY wrong ...You see I come from the WAC as a transfer ...Other than Boise and Hawaii ...its up for grabs because honestly they dont play TEXAS FOOTBALL ...The competition isnt as talented as you would expect. I honestly believe here at "THE TEXAS STATE" we have the athletes now who could compete at a higher level and succeed in the near future. There doesnt have to be a model ...That will take care of itself. Like someone said in an earlier post, the athletes who cant attend the big school that have talent or who gets overlooked for whatever reasons will have a chance for revenge!!! THAT attitude my friends is a formula that NOONE can draw up. Just to play a TEXAS team is a priveledge in itself!!!So with my 2 cents said ...put down your cups, pick up a smile and be proud that someone from your conference is striving to improve their University and not just sitting around contiplating for another 10yrs ... Cause the next level is what its all about!!

patssle
November 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Thats right 3 straight wins pal!!!

Math lesson for Harvard on the River graduate.

2005 + 2006 = 2 wins in a row

Funny thing is...we took your 2005 Kneely Semifinals team to overtime to beat a 3-7 Bearkat squad.

KleinTx05
November 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Funny thing is...we took your 2005 Kneely Semifinals team to overtime to beat a 3-7 Bearkat squad.

Oh nice comeback ...did they let you outta your cell for a lil sunlight there pat sissle ...lol ... You rite i was just counting the ass whooping you are gonna get on TV this year in a REAL CAT(spelled with a "C") stadiumxnodx

By the way River Graduate is lame ... they did not have an up to date book in the local penetentary bookstore for insults xreadx must not come out for another 10 yrs ...No need to worry YOU GOT TIME!!! ...get it!!xlolx

MaximumBobcat
November 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Hah, that is pretty funny. Another funny thing...we beat you last year at your house with our back up QB. xbowx

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hah, that is pretty funny. Another funny thing...we beat you last year at your house with our back up QB. xbowx

It's alright, we'll beat you at your house with our back up QB (or so we hope!)...xnodx

MaximumBobcat
November 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
It's alright, we'll beat you at your house with our back up QB (or so we hope!)...xnodx

Yep, we both got nothing to play for except bragging rights and tv time. I'd really like to see our student body come out for this game, and while it won't be sold out, I'd like to think we can get 12-14k for the game. A few groups on campus are trying their best to get people to come out, but I think a lot of the people that went to the McNeese St and the Abilene Christian games this year have already given up on the Cats and won't be seen till next season. xnonono2x

Well anyways, good luck to Brett Hicks and the Kats, I'm looking forward to the game. Unfortunately, it won't have any SLC Championship or playoff implications like it has for the past few years. xpeacex

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Here's an update from the University Star as the institution looks to increase fees towards athletics...

The proposed $2 athletic fee increase, which is intended to help move the university toward the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, sparked debate among those in attendance.

“Our athletic department as a whole is considered Division I,” said Joanne Smith, vice president of student affairs. “In other words, we compete in Division I in all other sports (except) in football where it is called the Football Championship Subdivision.”

A committee deemed many changes are necessary in order for the football program to be moved to a new subdivision. The first is athletics needing more funding to improve facilities for all sports. The second is a need for more scholarship money.

A part of the funding for such changes involves an increase in ticket sales, donor support and the athletic fee.

“I am always for taxes and student fees as long as it’s being used to help the general good,” said Misty Dean, management senior. “If this was a business deal, I would consider it just an unnecessary expense. It’s focusing on the ideals of a minority.”

http://star.txstate.edu/Story02.html

Spooney-Cat
November 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM

That's ok, we've got the overall advantage over you guys long term.
47-32, including two in a row. xthumbsupx

patssle
November 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
That's ok, we've got the overall advantage over you guys long term.
47-32, including two in a row. xthumbsupx

Only thing that matters is this year. Unless you win then you can claim 3 in a row.

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Are the Bobcats now contemplating a move to Div II? I'm a bit confused...who is this RunninWithBigDogs guy that is so adamant about the Bobcats moving down so they can compete for national titles?

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13877

MaximumBobcat
November 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Are the Bobcats now contemplating a move to Div II? I'm a bit confused...who is this RunninWithBigDogs guy that is so adamant about the Bobcats moving down so they can compete for national titles?

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13877

Probably a Bearkat in disguise. xoopsx

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Probably a Bearkat in disguise. xoopsx

I hope not...

We have problems on our board with an SFA troll named Brian who claims to be a Bearkat. He's always the first to post anything SFA...xnonono2x

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
UPDATE...

Board of Regents are meeting this week. According to reliable sources, there is nothing on the agenda as it relates to athletics, whether it be at Texas State University - San Marcos or Lamar University...

The Board of Regents participants will get to take in a Bearkat basketball game against Texas Tech that will be at near capacity if not a sell-out. Apparently, the Chancellor is on the SHSU bandwagon right now and has been saying many pro-SHSU things in the places he needs to. It's a very good time to be a Bearkat in the TSUS!

MaximumBobcat
November 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM
UPDATE...

Board of Regents are meeting this week. According to reliable sources, there is nothing on the agenda as it relates to athletics, whether it be at Texas State University - San Marcos or Lamar University...

The Board of Regents participants will get to take in a Bearkat basketball game against Texas Tech that will be at near capacity if not a sell-out. Apparently, the Chancellor is on the SHSU bandwagon right now and has been saying many pro-SHSU things in the places he needs to. It's a very good time to be a Bearkat in the TSUS!

I'm guessing we will probably try to just slowly improve our facilities before we bring anything to the BOR.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I'm guessing we will probably try to just slowly improve our facilities before we bring anything to the BOR.

In order to improve your facilities, you need to go before the Regents. That's some big money line items right there and they would need to approve it...

I know your institution likes to ignore the Regents and attempt to go around said Board, but this isn't a name change, monetary issues need be approved by the Board...

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM
From the University Star...

http://star.txstate.edu/Images/Opinions%20Images/11-14-07/O%20-%20ed%20toon.gif

SOUNDS OF SILENCE
Move to bowl subdivision unlikely

June 1 came and went without a sound of the Bowl Championship Subdivision.

While alumni, students, donors, Associated Student Government officers and faculty have expressed their desire to see Texas State enter a higher division of competition — the silence on June 1 was the sound of reality. The board of regents meets Wednesday and Thursday to decide on athletic fees, but we can only imagine the silence regarding Texas State and the BCS.

Texas State will not be going to the BCS anytime soon.

The first attempts to gain a place in the BCS began before most college freshmen were born, and nothing has changed since then.

ASG took the position Monday that it will only support the regents’ proposal to increase the athletic fee if there is a BCS push for the Bobcats.

http://star.txstate.edu/Main_Point01.html

MaximumBobcat
November 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM
take that article with a grain of salt...

That author (who refuses to put their name on this piece of trash) thinks that we are trying to move up to some subdivision called "BCS". xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM
That author (who refuses to put their name on this piece of trash) thinks that we are trying to move up to some subdivision called "BCS". xrolleyesx

Sorta like the posters on your board and the folks behind the D1 by J1 who think you guys aren't on Division I or atleast are promoting their efforts as such... xcoffeex

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
According to the Bobcat boards...we have another announcement of a move up...

"TRAUTH AND TEIS ANNOUNCE MOVE TO FBS"

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14042

Not sure how such a move can be announced because...

a) The moratorium is in place and unless they have a clear idea of what will happen when the dust settles (which it seems no one is certain), I do not think they could do that

b) Do they have a conference? If they did announce a move, they would need a conference, because making the move without a conference would be a nail in the coffin.

MaximumBobcat
November 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Haha, I luff j00 TT!i!i!i!i!

Seriously though, they were probably just announcing their intentions to pursue an attempt at moving up after the moratorium. And in the mean time they will try to raise student fees and improve facilities.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM
According to further posts on the Bobcats board...

President Trauth and AD Teis were at the Associated Student Govt meeting with the entire Presidents' Cabinet.

The two presented the Senate a two-page summary that they came up with and will have a 17 page draft forthcoming detailing the plans.

MaximumBobcat
November 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yah, I just spoke to ASG VP and Committee member on the group that Trauth appointed to look at the FBS move...it's confirmed, we will begin taking baby steps towards FBS in the coming months and years.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Yah, I just spoke to ASG VP and Committee member on the group that Trauth appointed to look at the FBS move...it's confirmed, we will begin taking baby steps towards FBS in the coming months and years.

The more and more I think about it, it would not surprise me if SHSU was somehow involved in a move to FBS as well...

This moratorium is going to be interesting. What have the folks with ASG said about it? Is anyone 100% certain that it won't slam the door shut on the folks in San Marcos?

MaximumBobcat
November 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The more and more I think about it, it would not surprise me if SHSU was somehow involved in a move to FBS as well...

This moratorium is going to be interesting. What have the folks with ASG said about it? Is anyone 100% certain that it won't slam the door shut on the folks in San Marcos?

I got no clue. But getting more money for the athletic department and improving our facilities is not a bad thing...

appfan2008
November 26th, 2007, 09:57 PM
from what i can tell... this is not a very smart move on texas st's part...

bobcatalum05
November 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
We cant control what the NCAA is going to do in four years, but having a plan and improving our facilities now is what we need to do in case we get the green light.

You dont expect a pharmeceutical company to wait for approval from the FDA before designing a strategy on how to market their product? Of course not, they have that determined so that once approval is given they have a plan in place.

We are covering our basis and performing due process in case things turn out the way "we" want them to.

patssle
November 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM

They have 2 winning seasons since 1992. They can't even win in the the conference that they think is the worse conference in America (and one that is holding them back). Somehow they think they are going to win at the next level.

MaximumBobcat
November 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM

'Splain?

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
'Splain?

Think the biggest argument against an FBS move is that your institution has what, four or five winning seasons in about 24 seasons of I-AA/FCS football...?

There's no question that folks are going to wonder how a below average program would be able to compete at the next level, when they were unable to compete at the current level ...

Can't deny facts, history...

Lionsrking
November 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM
They have 2 winning seasons since 1992. They can't even win in the the conference that they think is the worse conference in America (and one that is holding them back). Somehow they think they are going to win at the next level.

If Texas State wants to move, I think they should and I'll wish them well. They may very well make it work, and if so, more power to them. Personally, I think we'll see them fall in line with the ULL's, ULM's, and Middle Tennessee's of the world and they'll consistently battle mediocrity, or worse, but there's always that sliver of a chance they'll become Boise State. But Boise State doesn't have to do battle with an umpteen number of FBS programs within a four hour's drive either.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Per BobcatProud on BobcatFans.com...

Athletics Strategic Planning Committee Final Report
Executive Summary

In May of 2007,Texas State University-San Marcos President Denise M. Trauth appointed an Athletic Strategic Planning Committee chaired by Mr. John Schott. This Committee comprised of a number of representatives of San Marcos and the surrounding community, including alumni, current students, and University representatives, was charged with assisting the Department of Athletics in reviewing its Strategic Plan for 2007-2002, including the completion of a feasibility study of a possible move to the Football Bowl Subdivision

The Committee provided eight specific recommendations for the President and the Department of Athletics related to improvements in the draft Strategic Plan, including a final recommentation that Texas State should adopt benchmarks developed by the Committee and should begin the complex process of moving to FBS competition, securing the required resources and dedicating the necessary energy to ensuring that the Bobcats can become an FBS team within fixe years of the Fall Semester of 2008. The Committee recognized that this action will require dedicated commitments from many friends of Texas State, as well as special, proactive, efforts on the part of the University President and the Director of Athletics, to secure broad-based support for this transition.

During its analysis, the Committee held five meetings and considered a wide variety of documents. The Committee reviewed six goals outlined in the draft Department of Athletic Strategis Plan, including a final goal that called for a feasibility study regarding FBS football at Texas State. These goals addressed recruiting and contributing to the success of student-athletes; recruiting and retaining high quality, diverse staff, establishing a winning tradition, creating institutional loyalty and building support among program supporters, and promoting gender and minority equity. Each meeting focused on one or more specific goals within the Plan, as Committee members considered documents and heard presentations related to the topic(s) under review. Additionally, each meeting included consideration of some issues related to the FBS feasibility study. The Committee generally endorses the first give goals in the draft Strategic Plan while offering a number of specific recommendations for improvement.

The sixth goal called for completion of a feasibility study of a possible move to FBS football. During the course of the Committee's deliberations, the NCAA enacted a four-year moratorium on movement of institutions between divisions. However, after careful consideration, the Committee concluded that its work on the feasibility study should continue. The Committee identified several areas where improvements must be made as part of a successful transition to FBS football including facilities improvements; a tradition of success in all sports, especially basketball and football; and athletics budget adequacy and stability.

The Committee noted the importance of a combination of additional student support from the Athletics Fee and comparable increases generated from several other sources, and recognized that a successful transition will require membership in an appropriate conference offering FBS competitors. The Committee assembeled a list of benchmarks that outlined a five-year plan for Texas State's transition to FBS competition. after its review, the Committee agreed that Texas State should now declare its intention to move to FBS football competition after the current four-year NCAA moratorium is lifted.

slycat
November 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
who knows how itll turn out. but it seems like a smart move seeing that utsa is trying to do the same thing. we cant afford to get lost in between austin and san antonio if they both have fbs programs.

now we just have to play the waiting game.....screw that lets play hungry hungry hippios.

pokefan02
November 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It would not surprise me if the ncaa does away with fbs/fcs and goes back to Div I,II,III after this moratorium

MplsBison
November 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM
There's no question that folks are going to wonder how a below average program would be able to compete at the next level, when they were unable to compete at the current level

UConn

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM
UConn
UConn had some measure of success at the (then) I-AA level.

Buffalo on the other hand...stunk as a D-III school...stunk as a I-AA school...and has not improved playing at the FBS level.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
UConn had some measure of success at the (then) I-AA level.

As does TxSt.

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
As does TxSt.

One trip to the playoffs loaded with talent recruited by a coach that did what he had to do, illegally (see Mataskis/Nealy)...

Five winning seasons in what, 25 years...

UConn had more winning seasons between 1987 to 1998 (eight) than the Bobcats have had in twice the period of time at the FCS level...

UConn also had a legitimate conference to hop into -- the Big East -- something no one is certain that Texas State - San Marcos has...

JDC325
November 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Good luck to TX State I wish you the best!! I cant see how anyone could criticise a school for moving UP. Success will be determined by FUTURE leadership, support and luck I have never seen an FBS school win a game with history.xthumbsupx

texcap
November 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Good luck to TX State I wish you the best!! I cant see how anyone could criticise a school for moving UP. Success will be determined by FUTURE leadership, support and luck I have never seen an FBS school win a game with history.xthumbsupx

I think that post pretty well sums it up. Success at the next level is not determined by success at the previous level. Of course, success at the previous level usuallyindicates the leadership required to make it to the next level.

The biggest problem that I see is the risk involved. Also the higher the level, the more the mistakes are magnified. A mistake in hiring the wrong coach at FCS is a headache, bu a mistake in hiring the wrong coach at a FBS school is a nightmare. It is just like speed and driving, a little mistake gets amplified when you are driving too fast.

The question is, what kind of driver can Texas State find for the future?

Casey_Orourke
November 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think that post pretty well sums it up. Success at the next level is not determined by success at the previous level. Of course, success at the previous level usuallyindicates the leadership required to make it to the next level.

The biggest problem that I see is the risk involved. Also the higher the level, the more the mistakes are magnified. A mistake in hiring the wrong coach at FCS is a headache, bu a mistake in hiring the wrong coach at a FBS school is a nightmare. It is just like speed and driving, a little mistake gets amplified when you are driving too fast.

The question is, what kind of driver can Texas State find for the future?

Face it, Texas State will have to contend with getting beat up by every FBS college in Texas as each one vies its way for not only bragging rights but also to get that all important "BOWL BID/ FICTIONAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP". Heck, Even Baylor may have somebody they can beat on a consistant basis for those first few years after the move.

Fresno St. Alum
November 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I wish Texas St. well. I'm all for moving up if you can find a home and be happy where you are. So if Texas St. can get in the Sun Belt and be happy going to the New Orleans bowl or GMAC bowl then it's the right move as long as they can get players that can win games in the sun belt.

Going Indy without hope of a conference taking you is a bad move.
Texas St. past record won't matter if they take a whole new approach to doing things. They should think of themself as a USF, FAU(football start ups) not a Buffalo, Idaho (been around and didn't get it done)

slycat
November 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
here is the final report released by the committee
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/genrel/112707aaa.html. per the texas st website.

Gorilla89
November 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Maybe Franchione should have stayed there!!:D

KleinTx05
November 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Success will be determined by FUTURE leadership, support and luck I have never seen an FBS school win a game with history.xthumbsupx

WELP ...i guess its a wrap on this subject ...To all the in-state HATERS ...SUCK ON A BIG FBS MOVE UP ...lol ...The word "HISTORY" is kinda like the "PAST" ...Our NEW HISTORY will be our NEW FUTURE soon and our OLD PAST will be in the PAST!!!

SOLONG SUCKAS!!