PDA

View Full Version : Gilmore out at Lehigh!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2022, 03:29 PM
Woohoo! This is great news for Lehigh fans and the PL football in general! Time to get back to winning!

Southsider
November 21st, 2022, 04:01 PM
Please make it so!!!!!!!!! I am sure we all wish he and his family well. It must be tough.........

crusader11
November 21st, 2022, 04:44 PM
Let’s start throwing around candidates…

Pete Lembo
Kevin Decker
Jim Clements

I wonder if Lehigh would try and go after HC’s DC, Scott James.

Fordham
November 21st, 2022, 05:07 PM
Great job. As a PL fan, I hope they don’t just recycle old names. That’s not what has driven Fordham or HC’s success imo.

LUHawker
November 21st, 2022, 05:08 PM
I haven't posted in quite some time - essentially since Gilmore was hired back in 2019. I (along with others, including Owl), called this an absolutely terrible hire back then, and his leadership snuffed out a lot of interest for me and many others. With this announcement comes some hope for Lehigh.

I hope that AD Sterrett learned his lesson and that we go for someone outside of the Patriot League. I'd like to see us grab somebody from the CAA or a rising star at the D2 level. No more retreads, please. Lehigh needs a fresh set of eyes and a rebuild of a long and proud history. I expect that this role should garner a lot of attention. Lots to sell: tradition-rich program, Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry, among the best stadiums in FCS, passionate alumni base, based in a 1MM+ metro area and so on. I want someone who will make it his mission to return the program to excellence, start beating the Villanovas of the world, start rescheduling Delaware and some appropriate FBS opponents (in due time) and re-engage the alumni and local fan base.

I had the chance to share a few words with Lehigh's new President on this topic - glad someone is listening, and more importantly, taking action.

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 06:06 PM
I haven't posted in quite some time - essentially since Gilmore was hired back in 2019. I (along with others, including Owl), called this an absolutely terrible hire back then, and his leadership snuffed out a lot of interest for me and many others. With this announcement comes some hope for Lehigh.

I hope that AD Sterrett learned his lesson and that we go for someone outside of the Patriot League. I'd like to see us grab somebody from the CAA or a rising star at the D2 level. No more retreads, please. Lehigh needs a fresh set of eyes and a rebuild of a long and proud history. I expect that this role should garner a lot of attention. Lots to sell: tradition-rich program, Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry, among the best stadiums in FCS, passionate alumni base, based in a 1MM+ metro area and so on. I want someone who will make it his mission to return the program to excellence, start beating the Villanovas of the world, start rescheduling Delaware and some appropriate FBS opponents (in due time) and re-engage the alumni and local fan base.

I had the chance to share a few words with Lehigh's new President on this topic - glad someone is listening, and more importantly, taking action.

Good points. Yes, I am sure this decision was not Sterrett's, alone. The new President was on a winning cross-country team at Lehigh that almost always beat Lafayette, and he proudly waved that flag at us football players. The successful candidate needs to recognize Lehigh's strong traditions and be comfortable with the restrictions Lehigh and the other PL teams have to face in competing nationally. He's has to be an approachable 'people person' to whom players will gravitate, like they did with Andy Coen. A primary drawback Gilmore had was his personality. While he may have a good defensive mind, managing an entire program requires good communication skills with the students, parents and the alumni. Lehigh should draw good interest and, hopefully, Sterrett forms a good consultative committee that will provide a good vetting process. One person that must be interviewed is Jim Clements, the current HC at Kutztown University. Now in his late 40's, he is a rising star who will likely be plucked by someone this year. He has well over a 70% winning percentage after 16 years of head coaching at Kutztown and, previously, at Delaware Valley College in D-III. Lehigh's last successful OC came from Kutztown (Folmar, now at Elon). He is familiar with the region having played at Widner, living in the Collegeville area for having made connections with a lot of high school coaches. I am sure there will be other very good candidates, but this guy must seriously be looked at.

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 06:12 PM
Let’s start throwing around candidates…

Pete Lembo
Kevin Decker
Jim Clements

I wonder if Lehigh would try and go after HC’s DC, Scott James.

I already commented on Clements, above. Initially, I don't see Lembo coming back. He's still chasing the brass ring of a HC gig at an FBS school. James is worth an interview. I don't know much about him, other than what is on Wikipedia, but worth looking into.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2022, 07:08 PM
Jim Clements is the first person you contact imo.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2022, 07:12 PM
I noted this elsewhere, but RE: Jim Clements, one difference from last year is in 2021 his Kutztown team was in the playoffs and played for another two weeks after Lehigh’s season ended. That may have discouraged Lehigh from making a move if they were interested in him. By contrast, this year Kutztown (barely) missed the D2 playoffs, and their season is over.

If Lehigh is interested in Clements and wants to make a move towards him, nothing should be holding them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonarae
November 21st, 2022, 08:07 PM
Poach a successful regional D-III coach perhaps?

Bill
November 21st, 2022, 08:10 PM
Ok, biased shot in the dark here, but I'd love to give Dave Steckel a chance...

CHIP72
November 21st, 2022, 08:48 PM
Poach a successful regional D-III coach perhaps?

Nate Milne at Muhlenberg would be an option for Lehigh.

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 09:14 PM
Nate Milne at Muhlenberg would be an option for Lehigh.

Certainly worth a look, though 'on paper' Clements of D-II Kutztown seems to have more experience as well success.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2022, 09:22 PM
Certainly worth a look, though 'on paper' Clements of D-II Kutztown seems to have more experience as well success.

I think Clements is a stronger candidate because he has a longer track record and has significant success in both D2 (Kutztown) and D3 (Delaware Valley).

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 09:23 PM
Ok, biased shot in the dark here, but I'd love to give Dave Steckel a chance...

Yes, he is a local guy with a long football pedigree, but his record as a HC is wanting. Additionally, the new HC will have his arms full of turning this program around, and I question whether at this stage of his career, he would be the guy for a reclamation project.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2022, 09:38 PM
John Garrett is available.

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 09:44 PM
I know our former OC Drew Folmar went to Elon to be the OC for Triscani, and might even have "Assoc. Head Coach" title, but wonder if he'd come back for the HC at Lehigh. How long is Triscani going to be at Elon? He seems to be on the rise and could get an FBS gig soon. Being a former QB, and OC he could be a good fit. Was well liked when here. Only negative is no HC experience. But he has been learning under a good one. Moreover, he was a pretty good QB himself at Millersville in the late '90's.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2022, 09:47 PM
It would have been more enjoyable to see Lehigh suck if we were any good and able to run up the scoreboard... of course, Lehigh will rebound much faster than us. We will be muddling along at 5-6, 6-5 in three years while Lehigh wins 9 games... let's make a bet.

I do miss the era when both teams entered the game with 7+ wins with something to play for and a sold out game by September.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2022, 09:48 PM
I know our former OC Drew Folmar went to Elon to be the OC for Triscani, and might even have "Assoc. Head Coach" title, but wonder if he'd come back for the HC at Lehigh. How long is Triscani going to be at Elon? He seems to be on the rise and could get an FBS gig soon. Being a former QB, and OC he could be a good fit. Was well liked when here. Only negative is no HC experience. But he has been learning under a good one.

Folmar was the head coach at Kutztown! He left the head job there to take the OC position at Lehigh. He absolutely should be considered too. Well respected and well liked....

He also really helped to lay the foundation that Clements built off of. The Bears offense under Folmar is what turned the program around.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2022, 09:55 PM
It would have been more enjoyable to see Lehigh suck if we were any good and able to run up the scoreboard... of course, Lehigh will rebound much faster than us. We will be muddling along at 5-6, 6-5 in three years while Lehigh wins 9 games... let's make a bet.

I do miss the era when both teams entered the game with 7+ wins with something to play for and a sold out game by September.

I'm not betting you because that's my expectation. As bad as Lehigh was this year they easily could have won 6 games by almost default. The right coach can have this ship completely turned around in 3 years so long as the institution supports the staff. I would expect significant improvement next year given the state of the PL. There's legit talent at the skill positions and the front 7 seven on defense has a good core. The right HC/OC combo will do wonders....

ngineer
November 21st, 2022, 09:56 PM

Can't underscore that enough.

RichH2
November 21st, 2022, 10:31 PM
Jim Clements is the first person you contact imo.

Yup

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2022, 08:17 AM
In all seriousness, I’m happy for Lehigh fans. It would’ve been nice to have Tom stay around a while, but the guy was an unmitigated disaster from day 1.

Clements should get a call right away.

I wonder if Tony Trischani may be in play. Yes, he’s at Elon, but Tony is a Lehigh Valley guy through and through. If Lehigh can pay him and his assistants decent coin I think he considers.

I think Joe at least needs to make that call and ask Tony what it would take. Folmar as well of course, but seems like Joe isn’t super high on him.

Go Green
November 22nd, 2022, 09:00 AM
Can any Lehigh insiders provide a summary of why precisely things didn't work out for Gilmore?

I played for Dartmouth when he was on the staff at the early 1990s. He was not my positional coach. Personally, he scared me (he was an intense mofo). That said, plenty of guys on the team loved him and would have gladly followed him into battle.

Does that type of style not work with today's players--or at least at Lehigh?

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2022, 09:13 AM
Scott Wachenheim (who just left VMI) would be worth a call. His numbers aren't great, but VMI has got to be one of the hardest jobs in the country and he made them relevant for the first time in 50 years.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2022, 11:36 AM
I guess losing to Lafayette three of last four years it was ordained?

gravalico
November 22nd, 2022, 02:42 PM
I vote for John Garrett. I think you could get him for ten bucks and a ham sandwich.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

ngineer
November 22nd, 2022, 04:34 PM
Can any Lehigh insiders provide a summary of why precisely things didn't work out for Gilmore?

I played for Dartmouth when he was on the staff at the early 1990s. He was not my positional coach. Personally, he scared me (he was an intense mofo). That said, plenty of guys on the team loved him and would have gladly followed him into battle.

Does that type of style not work with today's players--or at least at Lehigh?

That doesn't work today. His personality, in the terms of a player's parent, was "toxic". He is classic 'type A' personality with volatility. He knows his defense and is the type of General Patton approach. He also did not collect a very good staff. Only a small handful of assistants that could teach anything. If the players are tuning out the coaches, you see the results in poor execution, not focusing, not being ready. Some thought when first hired that he had 'changed'. Had undergone some 'anger management' counseling/training. But old dogs don't learn new tricks. You could see the players did not 'gravitate' to him as they did with Andy Coen.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess losing to Lafayette three of last four years it was ordained?

I think even winning that game on Saturday might not have saved his job.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2022, 02:00 AM
Happy to hear that Lehigh has turned the page on Gilmore and now embarks in a new direction.

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2022, 07:24 AM
Was Gilmore at end of his contract or does Lehigh have to pay him one more year?

MR. CHICKEN
November 23rd, 2022, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=ngineer;3096382]That doesn't work today. His personality, in the terms of a player's parent, was "toxic". He is classic 'type A' personality with volatility. He knows his defense and is the type of General Patton approach. He also did not collect a very good staff. Only a small handful of assistants that could teach anything. If the players are tuning out the coaches, you see the results in poor execution, not focusing, not being ready. Some thought when first hired that he had 'changed'. Had undergone some 'anger management' counseling/training. But old dogs don't learn new tricks. You could see the players did not 'gravitate' to him as they did with Andy Coen.

AH SIT ON AWAY SIDE @ DELAWARE STADIUM........7 ROWS FROM FIELD...........EVERY TEAM DAT COMES TA NEWARK......HAS UH POSITION COACH.....DAT FITS DAT MO............IT'S WHAA DEESE GUYS DROP.....@ 55 YEARS OL'..............BRAWK!

ps.....CARTY.....BETTER OPT OUT...UH HALF/HALF FO' HIS COFFEE........2% MILK...........MAY MAKE HIM AN' OL' MAN...............AWK!

Go Green
November 23rd, 2022, 10:26 AM
That doesn't work today. His personality, in the terms of a player's parent, was "toxic". He is classic 'type A' personality with volatility. He knows his defense and is the type of General Patton approach. He also did not collect a very good staff. Only a small handful of assistants that could teach anything. If the players are tuning out the coaches, you see the results in poor execution, not focusing, not being ready. Some thought when first hired that he had 'changed'. Had undergone some 'anger management' counseling/training. But old dogs don't learn new tricks. You could see the players did not 'gravitate' to him as they did with Andy Coen.

Assuming that Gilmore is more or less the same guy that he was when I was playing, I most respectfully disagree with the parent's opinion that he was a "toxic" guy. He was intense. He was demanding. There were times when he would scream at the team at the top of his lungs with veins bulging that we were having a lousy practice and that we'd better turn it up if we wanted to win on Saturday. But... it was very, very hard to argue with the merits of his point. We were indeed playing sloppy when he got pissed at us. And we responded the way he demanded. And we won a lot of games.

But for better or for worse, not as many players today are willing to put up with that. And the reality is that he has to win with the players he has now instead of the players that he had in the late 20th Century.

He certainly wouldn't be the first guy who was shown the door because contemporary players didn't respond the way players did 20 or 30 years ago. Among many other examples, Dartmouth's legendary women's lacrosse coach Amy Patton comes to mind...

ngineer
November 23rd, 2022, 02:40 PM
Was Gilmore at end of his contract or does Lehigh have to pay him one more year?

From what I heard, he was at the end of a four year contract. Not confirmed.

Fordham
November 23rd, 2022, 02:43 PM
Assuming that Gilmore is more or less the same guy that he was when I was playing, I most respectfully disagree with the parent's opinion that he was a "toxic" guy. He was intense. He was demanding. There were times when he would scream at the team at the top of his lungs with veins bulging that we were having a lousy practice and that we'd better turn it up if we wanted to win on Saturday. But... it was very, very hard to argue with the merits of his point. We were indeed playing sloppy when he got pissed at us. And we responded the way he demanded. And we won a lot of games.

But for better or for worse, not as many players today are willing to put up with that. And the reality is that he has to win with the players he has now instead of the players that he had in the late 20th Century.

He certainly wouldn't be the first guy who was shown the door because contemporary players didn't respond the way players did 20 or 30 years ago. Among many other examples, Dartmouth's legendary women's lacrosse coach Amy Patton comes to mind...

Old school. I have no issue with that as I came up the same way.

Sounds like it’s more about his ability to attract and develop a talented staff that was the issue. And the ripple effect of that likely spills into recruiting as well

RichH2
November 23rd, 2022, 05:44 PM
Old school. I have no issue with that as I came up the same way.

Sounds like it’s more about his ability to attract and develop a talented staff that was the issue. And the ripple effect of that likely spills into recruiting as well

I cami in 1963. Really old school back then😁
Doubt that was the major factor. The lack of organization,discipline and improvement was obvious. Tom an excellent coach but not adept at organization or communication which seemed to flow thru the staff. Agree he had a problem with hiring coaches or keeping them. You wonder why you see the same mistakes game after game. At our inconsistent best,Lehigh was very good. The talent he had was enough for at least 5 wins with just a little bit of discipline.
4 yrs of losing seasons and an offense that could not score is quite enough.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2022, 09:32 PM
I cami in 1963. Really old school back then
Doubt that was the major factor. The lack of organization,discipline and improvement was obvious. Tom an excellent coach but not adept at organization or communication which seemed to flow thru the staff. Agree he had a problem with hiring coaches or keeping them. You wonder why you see the same mistakes game after game. At our inconsistent best,Lehigh was very good. The talent he had was enough for at least 5 wins with just a little bit of discipline.

I agree with the above observations. I think Gilmore is a very good tactical coach from a defensive standpoint. He failed at bringing quality staff, especially on the offensive side. The lack of communication within the staff was exposed in the last two games when we didn't have proper/enough men on the field and had to burn timeouts. The offensive play calling was a such a head scratcher, even the media announcers, who normally don't criticize coaching decisions, were apoplectic about the play calling. . I think Gilmore can be a very good DC with another FCS or low level FBS school.

Lehigh'98
November 24th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Wonder if Lehigh would consider Bryant Appling. Great former LBer. He’s won 3 state titles in GA at Buford recently. Has a dominant program there. Also wonder if he would have to take a pay cut to come to Lehigh.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2022, 10:05 AM
I cami in 1963. Really old school back then

Rich the bad coaching was epitomized by the PF after the kickoff after intentional safety. I mean WTH?! They had it at their 40 and then backed up by that!

ngineer
November 24th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Yes, I thought we should have had at least five wins this year, and with some lucky breaks maybe steal a game from one of the other first 4 losses. And, it wasn't just that we lost. It was the way we lost. Real head scratchers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2022, 09:09 PM
Yes, I thought we should have had at least five wins this year, and with some lucky breaks maybe steal a game from one of the other first 4 losses. And, it wasn't just that we lost. It was the way we lost. Real head scratchers.

The Cornell, Bucknell and Lafayette losses were all egregious. Lehigh was clearly the more talented team in all 3 instances but simply lacked the attention to detail to win. The Bucknell game is easily one of the the 3 worst losses in the last 30 years. Sure, Lehigh has been blown out over that time but to lose a game played at such a JV level was awful. It was like watching two bad high school teams.

RichH2
November 25th, 2022, 01:26 PM
The Cornell, Bucknell and Lafayette losses were all egregious. Lehigh was clearly the more talented team in all 3 instances but simply lacked the attention to detail to win. The Bucknell game is easily one of the the 3 worst losses in the last 30 years. Sure, Lehigh has been blown out over that time but to lose a game played at such a JV level was awful. It was like watching two bad high school teams.
+1. YUP

ngineer
November 25th, 2022, 10:10 PM
Not as a head coach. Maybe an assistant on the D side, but I cannot see a high school coach coming straight into an HC position at this level.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Not that I would want anything to do with Pete Lembo but he has had significant camera time today due to South Carolina's awesome special teams play which has really led to USC being up late....

crusader11
November 26th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Owl, Lehigh is supposed to take a look at Fordham’s OC.

He’s been around prolific offenses with each stop in his career. Knows Ivy / PL recruiting, kids, and culture well.

NY Crusader 2010
November 26th, 2022, 04:35 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I think even winning that game on Saturday might not have saved his job.

Even if Lehigh won "The Game" 56-0 this year, there was no reason to even consider extending Tom Gilmore.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2022, 05:03 PM
Even if Lehigh won "The Game" 56-0 this year, there was no reason to even consider extending Tom Gilmore.

All quiet at Colgate, Georgetown and Bucknell. It appears Gilmore could be the only casualty of 2022, as Fordham becomes the sixth member of the PL's sub-.500 group next season.

Doc QB
November 26th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Owl, Lehigh is supposed to take a look at Fordham’s OC.

He’s been around prolific offenses with each stop in his career. Knows Ivy / PL recruiting, kids, and culture well.
No interest in another PL or Ivy assistant.
All the guys I played w agree. Need fresh eyes from outside the league in all of our opinions.
LU needs something different, don’t care how impressive Rams O was w DeMorat.
Only guy w an LU exposure would be Folmar, OC at Elon. He’s been around and recruited CAA athletes awhile.
Getting a proven winner w HC experience really only comes from level below FCS.
This board has mentioned Milne from Muhlenberg, but he built on tail of the late Coach Donnelly. Just a few years, resume isn’t that long.
In that same vein, Greg Chimera from Hopkins has done the same if not better, having built of the late Jim Margraff.
Neither has sig experience elsewhere or above Div III. They may struggle recruiting a higher level athlete or getting assistants who also were only D3 experience. It matters. It’s what LU’s staff has been outside the DC. We saw how that went.
I like Clements at Kutztown. A winner.
His resume is improved since last time LU interviewed him. He just kept winning.
He lost to out to Gilmore…would his pride prevent him being interested this time around? Someone else gonna get him?

Last time, out of the ‘15-16’ strong candidates who applied according to our AD Joe Sterrett, we got down to Clements, Rossomundo from CCSU, and Gilmore. That leaves a ton of questions about those ‘strong’ dozen who didn’t make the final cut. Why did they fall out? Money? Resources? The PL in general? Assistant salary pool? Is there some kind of negative vibe about LU in coaching circles we r unaware of?

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Why not go after an FBS coordinator who wants a head coaching job? PL schools tend to be very parochial about their applicant pool.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 05:20 PM
No interest in another PL or Ivy assistant.
All the guys I played w agree. Need fresh eyes from outside the league in all of our opinions.
LU needs something different, don’t care how impressive Rams O was w DeMorat.
Only guy w an LU exposure would be Folmar, OC at Elon. He’s been around and recruited CAA athletes awhile.
Getting a proven winner w HC experience really only comes from level below FCS.
This board has mentioned Milne from Muhlenberg, but he built on tail of the late Coach Donnelly. Just a few years, resume isn’t that long.
In that same vein, Greg Chimera from Hopkins has done the same if not better, having built of the late Jim Margraff.
Neither has sig experience elsewhere or above Div III. They may struggle recruiting a higher level athlete or getting assistants who also were only D3 experience. It matters. It’s what LU’s staff has been outside the DC. We saw how that went.
I like Clements at Kutztown. A winner.
His resume is improved since last time LU interviewed him. He just kept winning.
He lost to out to Gilmore…would his pride prevent him being interested this time around? Someone else gonna get him?

Last time, out of the ‘15-16’ strong candidates who applied according to our AD Joe Sterrett, we got down to Clements, Rossomundo from CCSU, and Gilmore. That leaves a ton of questions about those ‘strong’ dozen who didn’t make the final cut. Why did they fall out? Money? Resources? The PL in general? Assistant salary pool? Is there some kind of negative vibe about LU in coaching circles we r unaware of?

100% Doc!!

Doc QB
November 26th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Why not go after an FBS coordinator who wants a head coaching job? PL schools tend to be very parochial about their applicant pool.
FBS OC would be a great get.
But, can’t think of any who run a high octane attack, G5, and would move down. Can’t think of an FBS in the Northeast, G5 schools in the South wouldn’t apply, same prob true of MAC.
We tried to get local Tim Cramsey. We weren’t close, he’s been at Marshall since.
Power 5 OCs make really great money.
We won’t pay enough.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 06:33 PM
FBS OC would be a great get.
But, can’t think of any who run a high octane attack, G5, and would move down. Can’t think of an FBS in the Northeast, G5 schools in the South wouldn’t apply, same prob true of MAC.
We tried to get local Tim Cramsey. We weren’t close, he’s been at Marshall since.
Power 5 OCs make really great money.
We won’t pay enough.

Warren Ruggiero might have been approached too at some point. And somehow Gilmore ended up as plan B in Winston-Salem?

Fordham
November 26th, 2022, 06:39 PM
All quiet at Colgate, Georgetown and Bucknell. It appears Gilmore could be the only casualty of 2022, as Fordham becomes the sixth member of the PL's sub-.500 group next season.

I’m not expecting a sub .500 season at Fordham

Fwiw, this search will find as good a candidate as Lehigh wants. Sky is the limit for Lehigh but the school has to want that v status quo

ngineer
November 28th, 2022, 11:13 PM
Saw Lembo’s name mentioned as on a “short list” for Cincinnati consideration,

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2022, 11:16 PM
Danny Rocco sighting at the local WaWa

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Danny Rocco sighting at the local WaWa

...WAS HE BEHIND...DUH COUNTER.....???........BRAWK?

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2022, 08:35 AM

So funny I have a wounded knee

ngineer
November 29th, 2022, 09:50 PM

xthumbsupxxbowxxlolxxbeerchugx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2022, 01:13 PM
I posted this on the Lehigh board...

Based on the tenor of the D2/PSAC boards it seems like Clements is definitely in the running? So much so there is already speculation as to who will be KU's next coach?

Any scoop?

ngineer
November 30th, 2022, 08:04 PM
I posted this on the Lehigh board...

Based on the tenor of the D2/PSAC boards it seems like Clements is definitely in the running? So much so there is already speculation as to who will be KU's next coach?

Any scoop?

Lehigh has a process in screening applications, doing preliminary telephone or zoom interviews and then creating a top-target list that would involve on campus interviews of a select few. Therefore, I wouldn't expect a decision until latter half of December or early January.

Doc QB
December 13th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Couple of former teammates of mine learned HC candidates were on campus last week. A few were asked to see if we were available to be on campus to participate in the interview/selection process.
One name thats come up, probably more on LU board is Pete Lembo making a return.
Even though it would draw mixed reactions, his $425K salary just got bumped to over $700K as special teams coordinator in Gamecock land.
Some have wondered if his coordinator salary was same as HC in the PL.
I think we can agree his former was not in the same neighborhood, his new one not on the same planet.

Food for thought as we compile Xmas coaching wish lists. FBS guys just are not coming down to our level with salaries they can command these days.
An up and comer, much like Towson's new hire, is probably more our speed.

Fordham
December 13th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Couple of former teammates of mine learned HC candidates were on campus last week. A few were asked to see if we were available to be on campus to participate in the interview/selection process.
One name thats come up, probably more on LU board is Pete Lembo making a return.
Even though it would draw mixed reactions, his $425K salary just got bumped to over $700K as special teams coordinator in Gamecock land.
I think we can agree his former was not in the same neighborhood, his new one not on the same planet.

Food for thought as we compile Xmas coaching wish lists. FBS guys just are not coming down to our level with salaries they can command these days.
Interesting. Honestly, I view that as a good thing for Lehigh. The fact is that there are precious few head coaching jobs available and even fewer at the D1 level where you have the opportunity to sit in a recruit's living room and offer a full ride at a school like Lehigh to. A young, hungry coach who has either proven themselves as a HC at a lower level or as a top ass't at the FCS or lower FBS level is likely spot on imo. There's no excuse for Lehigh to make anything but an outstanding hire here imo.

crusader11
December 13th, 2022, 03:50 PM
I'd like to know how many times an FBS retread has done well as an FCS head coach compared to an FCS coordinator or D2/3 head coach.

My guess is that the latter are more successful.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2022, 04:01 PM
I'd like to know how many times an FBS retread has done well as an FCS head coach compared to an FCS coordinator or D2/3 head coach.

Tim Murphy did OK, for one.

Bill
December 13th, 2022, 05:58 PM

Well said, Doc! And that makes me even wonder about Towson...I would be willing to bet they are paying more than us too.

NY Crusader 2010
December 14th, 2022, 07:05 AM

Bo Belini and Mike London also

Franks Tanks
December 14th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Murph wasn’t fired though, 8-3 in his last season at UC.

Go Green
December 14th, 2022, 08:59 AM

Buddy Teevens in second stint did as well.

Libertine
December 14th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Dan Hawkins @ UC-Davis
Bobby Hauck @ Montana

Tom Matukewicz @ SEMO was technically 1-0 as an FBS head coach having the interim tag for Northern Illinois in a bowl game a few years ago.

ngineer
December 15th, 2022, 03:33 PM

Yes, Lembo got a nice raise to keep him in Columbia as it was rumored he was on a couple of other school's lists in FBS land.
I've heard that Lehigh received over 70 applications that were culled down to about 15-20 Zoom interviews, and from there a very small group of candidates invited on campus for final in-person interviews with various administrators, other head coaches, training people, and the usual "tour". It is believed those interviews have concluded this week, so hope springs eternal that Santa may come early for Lehigh!

Go...gate
December 15th, 2022, 06:24 PM

Definitely quiet at Colgate with the abrupt change at Athletic Director.

Go...gate
December 15th, 2022, 06:27 PM
Definitely quiet at Colgate with the abrupt change at Athletic Director.

Did Dan Hunt find his way into the Lehigh candidate pool?

fillfittonfield
December 17th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Really surprised that we haven’t heard from our dedicated AGS posters about candidates who may have interviewed for the job.

According to the Lehigh board, they had a large number (50 +) zoom interviews and a handful of in person interviews last week. But there was no mention there of any names (other than speculation that the Kutztown state coach was going to be high on the list).

Is there really no inside source who can divulge info on this search? Or is Lehigh doing a great job keeping things bottled up tightly?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Really surprised that we haven’t heard from our dedicated AGS posters about candidates who may have interviewed for the job.

According to the Lehigh board, they had a large number (50 +) zoom interviews and a handful of in person interviews last week. But there was no mention there of any names (other than speculation that the Kutztown state coach was going to be high on the list).

Is there really no inside source who can divulge info on this search? Or is Lehigh doing a great job keeping things bottled up tightly?

RichH said Folmar and Swanstrom might be the lead candidates at this point. Both would be great gets imo!

fillfittonfield
December 17th, 2022, 06:06 PM
Thanks Owl.

Doc QB
December 18th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Lehigh holding press conference tomorrow at 3pm to name new coach.

fillfittonfield
December 18th, 2022, 12:43 PM
About 24 hours before the press conference and the name hasn’t been leaked to local media.

Not sure what this says about the level of interest in Lehigh football or Patriot League football. Or if it is simply a byproduct of Lehigh’s AD keeping all the info around the search process controlled tightly.

Fordham
December 18th, 2022, 12:45 PM
About 24 hours before the press conference and the name hasn’t been leaked to local media.

Not sure what this says about the level of interest in Lehigh football or Patriot League football. Or if it is simply a byproduct of Lehigh’s AD keeping all the info around the search process controlled tightly.

It does seem more so that it’s easier to keep a secret about something not too many people care about

ngineer
December 18th, 2022, 12:55 PM
It does seem more so that it’s easier to keep a secret about something not too many people care about

It is quite possible, as well, that a number of those on the actual search committees have kept their word about keeping the names confidential. Too many "would be Howard Eskins" out there who want to 'break' some headline. The choice was finalized Friday; however, confidentiality was requested as the new coach's current team needed to be informed, rather than through social media. Your suppositions, above, are wrong; though they would be excellent choices. I believe everyone should be very happy with the new HC. Can't wait until tomorrow. Official media release may be in the a.m. with the presser at 3 p.m. at Stabler Arena.

Doc QB
December 18th, 2022, 05:02 PM
It is quite possible, as well, that a number of those on the actual search committees have kept their word about keeping the names confidential. Too many "would be Howard Eskins" out there who want to 'break' some headline. The choice was finalized Friday; however, confidentiality was requested as the new coach's current team needed to be informed, rather than through social media. Your suppositions, above, are wrong; though they would be excellent choices. I believe everyone should be very happy with the new HC. Can't wait until tomorrow. Official media release may be in the a.m. with the presser at 3 p.m. at Stabler Arena.
Kids are home on break.
if the new HC reached out to all the kids, after a Friday deal, wouldn’t one have leaked it on twitter by now?
I, and my old teammates, are kinda unhappy about the secrecy. Not even privy to candidates?
To me, it screams that leadership is insecure regarding their process, and doesn’t want to invite criticism regarding any part of it.
Hope they get it right this time.

ngineer
December 18th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Difference between “secrecy” and “confidentiality”. Candidates who already have jobs don’t want current employers to know they are interviewing to possibly leave. Players should be told their coach is leaving and who their new coach is through their coach and not social media.
I think Lehigh was extremely thorough in this process, and the full process will be explained, hopefully at the press conference.

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2022, 07:09 AM
It’s on the scoop

https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/the-scoop-monday-december-19-2022

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 07:33 AM
It’s on the scoop

https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/the-scoop-monday-december-19-2022

If true, talk about uninspiring....

crusader11
December 19th, 2022, 07:33 AM
On the surface, seems like a good and safe -- albeit unimaginative -- hire.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 07:37 AM
On the surface, seems like a good and safe -- albeit unimaginative -- hire.

Nothing about Cahill's resume stands out. Definitely a weak resume compared to Swanstrom. Just another IL coordinator imo

I think this is a clear indication Lehigh will not pay for a quality head coach....

Bill
December 19th, 2022, 07:57 AM
If I had a "Bingo" meme to share, I would do it here.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 08:00 AM
You don’t hire on a piece of paper. Each candidate went through a long day of questioning by almost two dozen people including staff and football alums. Cahill is a solid pick.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 08:05 AM
You don’t hire on a piece of paper. Each candidate went through a long day of questioning by almost two dozen people including staff and football alums. Cahill is a solid pick.

Cahill is the perfect hire given his resume to facilitate the administration's goals for the athletic program. His resume/credentials are simply not good enough to upset the apple cart. He will carry on the institution's mission for football as they see fit.

Extremely bland hire outside of him acting as a perfect administrative puppet. Which was considered an important attribute....

aceinthehole
December 19th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Interesting ... I have Yale Defensive Coordinator Sean McGowan on my short list for CCSU head coach.

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Cahill is the perfect hire given his resume to facilitate the administration's goals for the athletic program. His resume/credentials are simply not good enough to upset the apple cart. He will carry on the institution's mission for football as they see fit.

Extremely bland hire outside of him acting as a perfect administrative puppet. Which was considered an important attribute....
Agree it’s a “safe” fire in so much that someone without head coach experience can be.

Troxell was a safe hire too, but he differed in having the overwhelming support of many influential former players and football donors in Pard land.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 08:46 AM
Agree it’s a “safe” fire in so much that someone without head coach experience can be.

Troxell was a safe hire too, but he differed in having the overwhelming support of many influential former players and football donors in Pard land.

Troxell was a proven head coach! He knew how to run a program. His credentials are/were much better than Cahill's imo.

Literally nothing about Cahill or Yale's offense stood out when I watched them over the years. In fact, Yale generally comes across as a "boring" team. Especially relative to Surace/Willis at Princeton...

Obviously, this will play out but nothing suggests Cahill is capable of succeeding as a head coach or even putting forth an exciting brand of football. Still relying on blind faith...

crusader11
December 19th, 2022, 08:57 AM
Bland, safe, predictable, unimaginative -- all adjectives to describe this hire.

He checks boxes: Young (relatively speaking), familiar with Ivy / PL recruiting circles + AI, from the northeast, coached at a winning / championship program, etc etc.

I'd be curious to learn to things: 1) Was Lehigh willing to open up the checkbook for this role? 2) How diversified was the applicant pool and those who made it to interview rounds?

Not sure if he would have wanted it, but Kevin Decker (Fordham OC who is now ODU's OC) would have been a much better hire than Cahill.

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2022, 09:18 AM
Troxell was a proven head coach! He knew how to run a program. His credentials are/were much better than Cahill's imo.

Literally nothing about Cahill or Yale's offense stood out when I watched them over the years. In fact, Yale generally comes across as a "boring" team. Especially relative to Surace/Willis at Princeton...

Obviously, this will play out but nothing suggests Cahill is capable of succeeding as a head coach or even putting forth an exciting brand of football. Still relying on blind faith...
Agree, and fair take.

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Interesting ... I have Yale Defensive Coordinator Sean McGowan on my short list for CCSU head coach.

Of the two, I would rather have Cahill. Yale lost more often over the years because the defense underperformed as opposed to the offense.

RichH2
December 19th, 2022, 10:02 AM

Well said. I agree. Bland for sure. Nothing wrong with his resume. Competent coach.No prior HC
experience bothers me but we have had very successful HCs also lacking any. Yale had a very good season. A plus.Offense was not quite as successful..Vanilla. Enough for Yale but not nearly so for Lehigh. Hopeful but not optimistic

Doc QB
December 19th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Cahill impressed, according to the only teammate of mine involved.

That said, this is a pretty predictable hire for our AD.
His football hires all come from Ivy league (Hank Small, Andy Coen, both OC's) or PL (Higgins, Lembo both from within program, Gilmore from HC/Wake). Only one of those was a HC somewhere else, and that was Gilmore.
He has a comfort level there. Most turned out pretty good. The only one with HC experience was the biggest disappointment.

Maybe not many lower level FBS coordinators were interested, as they ascend to bigger FBS programs, and we cannot compete with the cash. John Loose from LC and currently Army was interested, but no idea how far he got in process.
Div2 guys who applied, proven winners and head coaches, like KUs guy, just not as impressive to the committee I would ascertain.
The argument concerning not being able to recruit PL-type student athletes is crap. Evaluate the talent. If the grades arent there, you move down the list. Its not rocket science to determine who is admissible. We've missed on the talent part to long.

Safe, predictable pick given program's history. Its worked in the past. Not sure there was a sexy pick in the end.
He'll get my support, and that of my former teammates, no question about it. New blood is needed, and I am anxious to see who he hires to round out his staff.

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2022, 10:36 AM

His football hires all come from Ivy league (Hank Small, Andy Coen, both OC's) or PL (Higgins, Lembo both from within program, Gilmore from HC/Wake). Only one of those was a HC somewhere else, and that was Gilmore.
He has a comfort level there. Most turned out pretty good. The only one with HC experience was the biggest disappointment.

Maybe not many lower level FBS coordinators were interested, as they ascend to bigger FBS programs, and we cannot compete with the cash. John Loose from LC and currently Army was interested, but no idea how far he got in process.
Div2 guys who applied, proven winners and head coaches, like KUs guy, just not as impressive to the committee I would ascertain.
The argument concerning not being able to recruit PL-type student athletes is crap. Evaluate the talent. If the grades arent there, you move down the list. Its not rocket science to determine who is admissible. We've missed on the talent part to long.

Safe, predictable pick given program's history. Its worked in the past. Not sure there was a sexy pick in the end.
He'll get my support, and that of my former teammates, no question about it. New blood is needed, and I am anxious to see who he hires to round out his staff.

Agree. Will give Coach Cahill the benefit of the doubt and fully support his vision. From what I heard it sounded like he had a very detailed plan laid out for the program. Hopefully he has a group of assistants ready to roll. We need to step up the recruiting though and start getting more talent in the door. That is priority 1. He's not quite as decorated as some of the others, but that doesn't mean he can't succeed at a high level.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 10:43 AM

As a first-time head coach his staff will obviously be paramount to his success. As we learned with Coen, it took him nearly losing his job before he rid himself of Troy Brown and bring in Cecchini, with I'm sure significant counsel, to improve the then poor offense. Bringing in a proven commodity like Folmar to replace Dave was also critical to Lehigh's success under Coen.

The best thing with Cahill is the unknown. He may very well be the next great assistant hired by Lehigh but all of those previous assistants walked into better situations. Gilmore is leaving this place a mess.

I just wish Lehigh would step outside of the Ivy League/PL comfort zone at least a little bit. Folmar, Swanstrom, Clements, etc all provided the right balance of local/institutional knowledge with some fresh perspective.

Former Yale OC Conlin has obviously done a good job at Fordham. Yet, I can't help but think his limitations as an actual head coach (game management/terrible defense) hinder the program.

Temple hoops and Lehigh football have really been following similar paths. Aaron McKie is amazingly an even more boring and far less successful version of Fran Dunphy. I can't think of one Chaney character trait he brings to the table either. And that's quite alright I guess....

Son of Eli
December 19th, 2022, 10:48 AM
Enough for Yale but not nearly so for Lehigh. Hopeful but not optimistic

You think Lehigh has a better football program than Yale’s? That’s ridiculous both currently and historically. If he’s good enough for Yale he’s good enough for Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Agree. Will give Coach Cahill the benefit of the doubt and fully support his vision. From what I heard it sounded like he had a very detailed plan laid out for the program. Hopefully he has a group of assistants ready to roll. We need to step up the recruiting though and start getting more talent in the door. That is priority 1. He's not quite as decorated as some of the others, but that doesn't mean he can't succeed at a high level.

What is Lehigh's financial allocation like for asistants? We hear it could be "subpar" yet Coen was able to bring in Cecchini, Kotulski, Folmar (who was the head coach at Kutztown!) etc as assistants. Has the culture simply "evolved" into one that accepts, perhaps even encourages, subpar pay for football assistants relative to other positions at the school? Maybe the draw of working at Lehigh (the platform it seemingly once provided) was considered part of the compensation when it was winning?

Doc QB
December 19th, 2022, 11:06 AM
You think Lehigh has a better football program than Yale’s? That’s ridiculous both currently and historically. If he’s good enough for Yale he’s good enough for Lehigh.
Son of Eli, I would think Rich's comment is more a dig regarding what LU fans want from an offense, let alone team, and not a knock on our Ancient 8 colleague's history in college football.
Meaning, there were times we'd score 40plus, exciting ball, throw it all around, but give up 50, and lose. And we often were not all that unhappy about it because it was at least entertaining.
Like Bubba Watson said before he hit that amazing bannana hook on 10 at Augusta to win the Masters...if I have a swing, I have a chance.
We could score, so we had a chance.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Lehigh needs talent like the old days

not sure why the last Coach didn’t have it

Cahill needs to solve that recruiting puzzle and Lehigh will win again

it’s just that simple

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Son of Eli, I would think Rich's comment is more a dig regarding what LU fans want from an offense, let alone team, and not a knock on our Ancient 8 colleague's history in college football.
Meaning, there were times we'd score 40plus, exciting ball, throw it all around, but give up 50, and lose. And we often were not all that unhappy about it because it was at least entertaining.
Like Bubba Watson said before he hit that amazing bannana hook on 10 at Augusta to win the Masters...if I have a swing, I have a chance.

I think Cahill molded an offense to fit the talent. In 2019 Yale had Rawlings and two great receivers and scored a bunch of points. This year, Yale had a great O line, a running QB, and two outstanding running backs. They ran the ball down the throat of most teams they played. You go with what works.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Cahill's record and his presentation reveals the ability to adjust to your personnel. I fully expect a refocus on recruiting top notch QB, which his critical. Lehigh had 4 upper class QBs on roster this year, but had to go to a highly regarded freshman as #2 when things needed shaking up. He showed a great arm, but certainly needs experience, but now in the portal. Does this keep him in Bethlehem? If not, Lehigh in deep crap at that position without strong recruiting. Regardless, I'll take 30 points a game versus 48, if we go 8-3/9-2 consistently.

Son of Eli
December 19th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Ok. That makes more sense but I still don’t agree with that. Yale has had some prolific offenses under Cahill. In 2019 for example Yale ranked 4th in FCS in scoring offense.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Can we rename this thread??? I am tired of referring to the past regime. If not, I'll start a new one....

RichH2
December 19th, 2022, 12:19 PM
You misunderstand. He can be boring/vanilla because th we Yale program is more talented and deeper than Lehigh's. Lehigh has a dearth of talent on the offense.We have some excellent players but not near enough. Until we do,Lehigh must rely on schemes to increase scoring.
Can Cahill and his new OC craft the existing talent into an offense. Lehigh hasn't had one in 5 years.

Doc QB
December 19th, 2022, 12:34 PM
Cahill's record and his presentation reveals the ability to adjust to your personnel. I fully expect a refocus on recruiting top notch QB, which his critical. Lehigh had 4 upper class QBs on roster this year, but had to go to a highly regarded freshman as #2 when things needed shaking up. He showed a great arm, but certainly needs experience, but now in the portal. Does this keep him in Bethlehem? If not, Lehigh in deep crap at that position without strong recruiting. Regardless, I'll take 30 points a game versus 48, if we go 8-3/9-2 consistently.
I like this.
And if ngineer was in on the process, I'm all in on the selection. I think the label 'proven winner' is unfortunately only given to head coaches and not coordinators, and affects perception regarding a particular hire.
So the Yale guys comments regarding Cahill's adaptability/molding to talent becomes extremely important and demonstrates his talent and ability to have success; you cant just do the same stuff year after year. Many OCs are NOT good at that element.

But, I do love those 40+ point shoot outs...

Son of Eli
December 19th, 2022, 12:42 PM
You misunderstand. He can be boring/vanilla because th we Yale program is more talented and deeper than Lehigh's. Lehigh has a dearth of talent on the offense.We have some excellent players but not near enough. Until we do,Lehigh must rely on schemes to increase scoring.
Can Cahill and his new OC craft the existing talent into an offense. Lehigh hasn't had one in 5 years.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I think Yale in general has done an excellent job at recruiting. I think Conlin has proven that transfers over to the Patriot League. I wish the Lehigh program well under Cahill, as long as it’s not at Yale’s expense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I think Yale in general has done an excellent job at recruiting. I think Conlin has proven that transfers over to the Patriot League. I wish the Lehigh program well under Cahill, as long as it’s not at Yale’s expense.

How much attention has Cahill drawn from other schools? Has he been considered a "rising star" in the coaching ranks? Do you know what other jobs he might have applied to? Interviewed for in the past?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 01:03 PM
I like this.
And if ngineer was in on the process, I'm all in on the selection. I think the label 'proven winner' is unfortunately only given to head coaches and not coordinators, and affects perception regarding a particular hire.
So the Yale guys comments regarding Cahill's adaptability/molding to talent becomes extremely important and demonstrates his talent and ability to have success; you cant just do the same stuff year after year. Many OCs are NOT good at that element.

Those 40 point shoot outs are fun until they start costing you. Chesney will continue to coach circles around Conlin until Joe learns what it takes to be an all-encompassing head coach and not a great offensive mind who also holds the title of head coach.

Son of Eli
December 19th, 2022, 01:05 PM
How much attention has Cahill drawn from other schools? Has he been considered a "rising star" in the coaching ranks? Do you know what other jobs he might have applied to? Interviewed for in the past?

I don’t know the answers to those excellent questions. All I can say is I suspect that Yale knew Cahill was looking when they added Chris Ostrowsky to the staff in August 2021. I’m expecting that he will replace Cahill as Yale’s offensive coordinator as he has plenty of experience in that roll.

https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/chris-ostrowsky/1377

RichH2
December 19th, 2022, 01:23 PM

I like this.

+1.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 01:36 PM
I found this interesting regard Yale's offense post-covid.

In Yale's 7 losses post-Covid they've scored the following points...
17 vs Holy Cross
17 vs Dartmouth
15 vs UConn
20 vs Princeton
31 vs Harvard

14 vs Holy Cross
13 vs Penn

Should be noted the two other quality teams Yale played this year, Princeton and Harvard, Yale scored 24 and 19 points respectively. What led to the offense's struggles against better competition?

I watch a lot of football obviously and have been tuned into Yale. Is Cahill big on organization? Excellent people skills? He is not an offensive wizard or the next Mike Leach; even in a hyperbolic sense. He is not going to bring high-flying, quirky Princeton-like formation filled offense to Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 01:40 PM
+1.

Cahill's offense has scored a combined 31 points against Holy Cross the last two years. I'm not overly confident he breaks 40 after three tries so long as Chesney is there to defend it given the Mountain Hawks's current personnel....

Did a little more digging, Cahill's offense has never broken 30 points in 4 tries against a Chesney defense (28, 23, 17, 14). Yale was 1-3 against the Crusaders....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Of the two, I would rather have Cahill. Yale lost more often over the years because the defense underperformed as opposed to the offense.

The data suggests otherwise. The Cahill offense traditionally struggles against better competition which has proved costly for the Eli.

Yale's offensive performance against Holy Cross is alarming imo. Cahill and Company struggled against Chesney's defense when the Eli clearly had the better team in 2018 and 2019....

Perusing past Yale box scores suggests second half adjustments (comparing 1st half vs 2nd half production) are lacking in these instances as well...

Why do these obvious negative data trends exist?

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2022, 02:23 PM

17 vs Holy Cross
17 vs Dartmouth
15 vs UConn
20 vs Princeton
31 vs Harvard

14 vs Holy Cross
13 vs Penn

Should be noted the two other quality teams Yale played this year, Princeton and Harvard, Yale scored 24 and 19 points respectively. What led to the offense's struggles against better competition?

I watch a lot of football obviously and have been tuned into Yale. Is Cahill big on organization? Excellent people skills? He is not an offensive wizard or the next Mike Leach; even in a hyperbolic sense. He is not going to bring high-flying, quirky Princeton-like formation filled offense to Lehigh.

I think Yale in 2021 was looking for it's offensive identity. In the first three games you mention, Yale went with a passing QB, maybe trying to catch some 2019 magic. But poor decisions by the QB, and just the fact that the receivers were not as great as in 2019, made a QB switch inevitable. Nolan Grooms, the current QB, won the job and is a great running QB who can get out of trouble with his legs. Along with two very good running backs and a great OL, Yale mostly pounded the ball in 2022.

There was no excuse for the Penn game, (and HC was just better), but I though the offense played well against the two best opposing defenses in Princeton and Harvard. Against Harvard, Yale held the ball for 40 minutes. Sure they should have finished more drives, too many FG's were attempted IMO, but high flying we were not going to be.

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2022, 02:36 PM
The data suggests otherwise. The Cahill offense traditionally struggles against better competition which has proved costly for the Eli.

Yale's offensive performance against Holy Cross is alarming imo. Cahill and Company struggled against Chesney's defense when the Eli clearly had the better team in 2018 and 2019....

Doesn't every teams offense have a tougher time against better teams. That is why they are better teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 02:44 PM
Doesn't every teams offense have a tougher time against better teams. That is why they are better teams.

Very good offensive teams like Fordham the last two years, some of Lehigh's teams in the past, could score against good defensive teams. Having the ability to do that is what separates the elite offensive minds from the average to above average. Even as great as Saban's defenses have been elite offenses have lit them up. Literally why Auburn sold their souls to hire Hugh Freeze and his offense.....

As our sader poster stated, if Lehigh wanted an up-and-coming mind they should have went with the Fordham OC if he was interested. From an offensive standpoint, nothing about Cahill is exciting. He seems like a run of the mill OC at a good program. Honestly, I think Yale could benefit from his departure.

So, what are his strengths?

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Very good offensive teams like Fordham the last two years, some of Lehigh's teams in the past, could score against good defensive teams. Having the ability to do that is what separates the elite offensive minds from the average to above average.

As our sader poster stated, if Lehigh wanted an up-and-coming mind they should have went with the Fordham OC if he was interested. From an offensive standpoint, nothing about Cahill is exciting. He seems like a run of the mill OC at a good program. Honestly, I think Yale could benefit from his departure.

So, what are his strength?

And Yale's 2019 team scored a lot of points as well, as did 2017 when he was passing game coordinator.

Maybe you can get an idea of Cahill from this video.

If you can get by the Yale self promoting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTIhF2ubugQ

crusader11
December 19th, 2022, 03:20 PM
Not that we will ever know, but I'd be very curious to learn who the other three or four candidates were that Lehigh considered.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 03:28 PM
And Yale's 2019 team scored a lot of points as well, as did 2017 when he was passing game coordinator.

Maybe you can get an idea of Cahill from this video.

If you can get by the Yale self promoting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTIhF2ubugQ

I've watched Yale quite a bit over the years which is why I am still a bit perplexed. I am trying to identify the clear attributes that suggest he will translate into a great head coach. I see a solid rather nondescript OC. Hopefully he hires an OC who, imo, is a better OC than he is. Ala Coen with Cecchini and Folmar xnodx....Coen and Brown xnonox

Coen knew offensive lines though and how to assemble staffs!

RichH2
December 19th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Just learned that Cahill spoke with Higgins and Lembo before taking the job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 04:47 PM
Just learned that Cahill spoke with Higgins and Lembo before taking the job.

Not sure why that would be relevant and/or needed to be done. Those two coaches operated under a far different administration at Lehigh, the PL rules were vastly different and 1-AA/FCS football in the Northeast and the country was also significantly different. Even if he was seeking housing/school district information their input would be significantly dated. Other than for posterity purpose, where in lies the value from those interactions? Seeking credibility via his interactions with previously successful coaches?

I am truly fascinated by this hire given the current culture at Lehigh, the "Troyan Factor" (who introduced Cahill) and the current league hierarchy (Chesney running circles around everyone, including Cahill's offenses at Yale) and Cahill's solid but far from spectacular performance as an OC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 06:25 PM
One more tidbit on Cahill....

Anyone know what his formal responsibilities were as a member of the Cultural House Connection subcommittee at Yale? This, his M.E. in Athletic Administration combined with Lehigh's recent emphasis on DEI initiatives leads me to believe Troyan and the Lehigh administration see significant value in Cahill's social justice advocacy. Especially coming from a place like Yale where it is imperative to stay one step ahead of social issues. In this day in age, this attribute could have been a significant selling point relative to other candidates.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Those 40 point shoot outs are fun until they start costing you. Chesney will continue to coach circles around Conlin until Joe learns what it takes to be an all-encompassing head coach and not a great offensive mind who also holds the title of head coach.

Interesting observation, as Cahill, today, at the press conference basically eschewed the idea that he would call the plays, stressing that as the Head Coach he has an overall responsibility to all aspects, and that he while he will always have the ability to suggest plays or certain schemes, he expects his OC to be primarily involved in that function. Other than diving head first into recruiting immediately, reaching out to those he would like to assist him on staff is priority 1B.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 07:38 PM

17 vs Holy Cross
17 vs Dartmouth
15 vs UConn
20 vs Princeton
31 vs Harvard

14 vs Holy Cross
13 vs Penn

Two of the major reasons he drew immediate attention. Impressive on both counts. At today's presser, he underscored, several times, the need to establish a meaningful relationships with the players and having his staff just as involved. I believe he impressed the various committees who interviewed him with these strengths. No, he never promised to bring the 'Flying Circus' to South Mountain, but stressed that he believed in adjusting the offense to the personnel. Hence, the reason, this year, Yale ran the ball more than throwing it due to a very effective offensive line, lead by an all IL center.

ngineer
December 19th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Not sure why that would be relevant and/or needed to be done. Those two coaches operated under a far different administration at Lehigh, the PL rules were vastly different and 1-AA/FCS football in the Northeast and the country was also significantly different. Even if he was seeking housing/school district information their input would be significantly dated. Other than for posterity purpose, where in lies the value from those interactions? Seeking credibility via his interactions with previously successful coaches?

I am truly fascinated by this hire given the current culture at Lehigh, the "Troyan Factor" (who introduced Cahill) and the current league hierarchy (Chesney running circles around everyone, including Cahill's offenses at Yale) and Cahill's solid but far from spectacular performance as an OC.

Not sure what you are getting at referencing the "Troyan Factor". From my experience over the years, the Troyans have been very positive individuals who have helped build teams that have developed strong team cultures that support their fellow teammates, and with a fair amount of success. Cahill has stressed, even at the presser today, that he will be focusing on excellent student-athletes who will have a 'team first' attitude. Most successful HC's have had that ability, especially at our level of D1 where the players are not planning on playing two or three years and go to the draft. I see that attitude in Holy Cross's program, and we had it under Coen. We weren't looking for a high-octane OC. We need an HC that will be able to recruit (and train our assistants to recruit to Lehigh's needs) as well as have the offense always under his radar. In the recent past, it seemed that Lehigh's offense was "adrift" with no direction. It is our expectation that this will change.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 09:46 PM
Not sure what you are getting at referencing the "Troyan Factor". From my experience over the years, the Troyans have been very positive individuals who have helped build teams that have developed strong team cultures that support their fellow teammates, and with a fair amount of success. Cahill has stressed, even at the presser today, that he will be focusing on excellent student-athletes who will have a 'team first' attitude. Most successful HC's have had that ability, especially at our level of D1 where the players are not planning on playing two or three years and go to the draft. I see that attitude in Holy Cross's program, and we had it under Coen. We weren't looking for a high-octane OC. We need an HC that will be able to recruit (and train our assistants to recruit to Lehigh's needs) as well as have the offense always under his radar. In the recent past, it seemed that Lehigh's offense was "adrift" with no direction. It is our expectation that this will change.

The change from a longstanding AD to a new one (Troyan it seems) who has never been an AD is obviously a significant variable a potential coach will consider. She, if indeed promoted to AD, has to prove her competency. Many have questioned Sterrett's in recent years as college sports/the Patriot League have evolved. I think coaches would be wise to be hesitant given this current AD dynamic at Lehigh.

Cahill has to prove himself. He's been a solid but unspectacular OC, has zero head coaching experience but seems well versed in athletic administration, social issues, and IL/PL culture which IMO are his greatest attributes from a Lehigh hiring committee perspective. Hopefully he is able to assemble a quality staff. I will be extremely interested to see who he brings in as an OC and DC. I don't believe his offensive credentials are good enough for him to a play-caller/HC off the bat. If nothing else, at least Lehigh is free from Brisson, Kasurba and the rest Gilmore's Out of Gas Gang. Brisson needs a career change.

Bill
December 19th, 2022, 10:32 PM
T Hopefully he is able to assemble a quality staff. I will be extremely interested to see who he brings in as an OC and DC. I don't believe his offensive credentials are good enough for him to a play-caller/HC off the bat. If nothing else, at least Lehigh is free from Brisson, Kasurba and the rest Gilmore's Out of Gas Gang. Brisson needs a career change.

This is not an attack on you, but I have to step up here. One of the great things about a message board like this is we get to vent our feelings and wish and hope for whatever (usually at Lafayette's expense). But I don't know Brissom....or any of the other staff members than Tom - who was the best defensive coach I have ever worked with (in about 20 years of college). I've been out of the game for a while, but it was my choice. I would never wish that anyone gets fired or needs to stop coaching altogether. A career change? That's rough. We don't know what the situation was behind the scenes, from recruiting to other program issues. I'd like to think I learned my lesson with Andy. I was right in line with everyone else looking for him to go...and then I found out what he was going through - and still feel like an a$$ for that to this day.
Am I happy to see Lehigh go in a different direction? Yes, it is time. A coaching friend of mine once said "Everyone gets fired" (almost at least!) We sign up for that when we decide to coach, but I wish all of the former staff the best. I hope they land on their feet, and get another opportunity to coach if they wish, no matter what the level. I'm ready to turn the page, but these guys often have families they need to drag all over the country, and Lehigh does not pay its assistants well!

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for letting me mini-vent!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2022, 10:49 PM
This is not an attack on you, but I have to step up here. One of the great things about a message board like this is we get to vent our feelings and wish and hope for whatever (usually at Lafayette's expense). But I don't know Brissom....or any of the other staff members than Tom - who was the best defensive coach I have ever worked with (in about 20 years of college). I've been out of the game for a while, but it was my choice. I would never wish that anyone gets fired or needs to stop coaching altogether. A career change? That's rough. We don't know what the situation was behind the scenes, from recruiting to other program issues. I'd like to think I learned my lesson with Andy. I was right in line with everyone else looking for him to go...and then I found out what he was going through - and still feel like an a$$ for that to this day.
Am I happy to see Lehigh go in a different direction? Yes, it is time. A coaching friend of mine once said "Everyone gets fired" (almost at least!) We sign up for that when we decide to coach, but I wish all of the former staff the best. I hope they land on their feet, and get another opportunity to coach if they wish, no matter what the level. I'm ready to turn the page, but these guys often have families they need to drag all over the country, and Lehigh does not pay its assistants well!

I think it's all a matter of context. While I appreciate your respect for people's feelings and their family component these are individuals who have chosen to go down this path at the Division 1 level. Not only that, but these assistants freely chose to work for (hitch their wagon to) a substandard head coach like Gilmore. Quality assistants, those with better options, simply were not going work for him any longer than they had to; especially as you state, for below market value pay. Assembling a quality staff was a serious issue with Tom going back to his Holy Cross days. While he might the best defensive coach you worked with, he was a terrible head coach with an extremely questionable temperament.

While I wish those guys the best in their future endeavor it still doesn't change Lehigh football is better off without their services.

I am going to continue to be locked into this whole process for a multitude of reasons. So many fascinating layers to this.

The pay for assistants is another interesting component. Are any actually going to stay? If so, it is it being dictated by the administration for financial reasons? Is it something an incoming head coach must accept? If so, that would be egregious....

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2022, 08:31 AM

FWIW, Brisson has a new job, as the OC at Shippensburg.

https://fcfreepresspa.com/scott-brisson-named-assistant-football-coach-at-su/

Go Green
December 20th, 2022, 09:18 AM
with Tom going back to his Holy Cross days. While he might the best defensive coach you worked with, he was a terrible head coach with an extremely questionable temperament.

"Questionable" is the farthest you can go about Gilmore's temperament.

Everyone agrees he was an intense guy. He always was. And yes--that's not for everyone (and I speak from experience).

That said, I am not aware of any instance where he crossed the line into abusive territory. In today's day and age, it doesn't take much for a disgruntled player or parent to go public... Like the dog that didn't bark, I can assume that the lack of public complaint against Gilmore suggests that he never engaged in misconduct as a coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 20th, 2022, 09:40 AM
FWIW, Brisson has a new job, as the OC at Shippensburg.

https://fcfreepresspa.com/scott-brisson-named-assistant-football-coach-at-su/

Good for him! Gets to work for a well-resourced PSAC program and a quality head coach!

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Good for him! Gets to work for a well-resourced PSAC program and a quality head coach!
Yup, big fan of Coach M. Mussina had a great career at Ship after leaving Lafayette. I follow Ship as well as one of my best friends played there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 20th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Yup, big fan of Coach M. Mussina had a great career at Ship after leaving Lafayette. I follow Ship as well as one of my best friends played there.

He has done a great job at the Ship! The fact Brisson got a job, despite producing historically inept offenses, is a testament of how little people must think of Gilmore's head coaching abilities. Mussina must have complete confidence Brisson's coaching credibility was whittled away to nothing thanks to a terrible environment. Otherwise, nothing Lehigh's offense did over the last 3-4 years indicates anything but an awful OC who might be better served considering another profession.....

Bill
December 20th, 2022, 12:57 PM
He has done a great job at the Ship! The fact Brisson got a job, despite producing historically inept offenses, is a testament of how little people must think of Gilmore's head coaching abilities. Mussina must have complete confidence Brisson's coaching credibility was whittled away to nothing thanks to a terrible environment. Otherwise, nothing Lehigh's offense did over the last 3-4 years indicates anything but an awful OC who might be better served considering another profession.....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Go Lehigh TU owl again.

ngineer
December 20th, 2022, 01:55 PM
The change from a longstanding AD to a new one (Troyan it seems) who has never been an AD is obviously a significant variable a potential coach will consider. She, if indeed promoted to AD, has to prove her competency. Many have questioned Sterrett's in recent years as college sports/the Patriot League have evolved. I think coaches would be wise to be hesitant given this current AD dynamic at Lehigh.

Cahill has to prove himself. He's been a solid but unspectacular OC, has zero head coaching experience but seems well versed in athletic administration, social issues, and IL/PL culture which IMO are his greatest attributes from a Lehigh hiring committee perspective. Hopefully he is able to assemble a quality staff. I will be extremely interested to see who he brings in as an OC and DC. I don't believe his offensive credentials are good enough for him to a play-caller/HC off the bat. If nothing else, at least Lehigh is free from Brisson, Kasurba and the rest Gilmore's Out of Gas Gang. Brisson needs a career change.

I expect Cahill is spending the rest of this week interviewing the existing staff and lining up what he would like to do as replacements. All high level assistant coaches keep lists of their connections over the years with those they have coached with and against, for reaching out at times like this. I would expect he will try to keep a couple assistants in the fold that would help with the transition and, as some established very solid relationships with the players. Overall, I think Kashurba is worth considering retaining. The players love him and he brings a strong positive personality to the room. By and large, the defense has played well, and I acknowledge that this past year we may have lost a couple games because of blown coverages; but, I saw that as a player mistake as opposed to a problem with a scheme. If anything, the failure of the offense to sustain drives, put a lot of pressure on the defense to be on the field a lot, resulting in fatigue. This also ties back to better recruiting so as to have a deeper roster, so there isn't a huge drop off in talent with and second or third string guy is on the field. Recruiting is the life blood..both for players and getting some new coaching. Finally, the area of special teams needs major attention. It had pitiful attention the past couple years. I believe that the outcome of almost 1/3 of all games comes down to special teams execution. Losses to Cornell, Bucknell and Lafayette could all have been wins with better special teams play. It is probably a budget issue, but I don't recall seeing a separate special team's coach on our roster as a stand alone position. One can only assume it is a shared type of role between a couple assistants, but as we saw a couple times this year, we had to burn timeouts because we didn't have correct personnel on the field. That goes to being organized and focused. And I saw a lot of that in Cahill. We can only hope it synthesizes into the the staff.
Good to hear Brisson landed a good job at a school that has had some decent offenses in the past.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Other than the obvious (Chesney), recent PL hires appear to be their last stop as a head coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 20th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Other than the obvious (Chesney), recent PL hires appear to be their last stop as a head coach.

Assuming Chesney returns there may never be another surer thing in the history of sports than a Holy Cross 5peat. Maybe, just maybe Troxell was on to something this year from schematic standpoint?....Nah....bet everything....

Pard4Life
December 20th, 2022, 08:58 PM
Wishing Cahill nothing but ill-will and a pink slip in four year.

This hiring is more intriguing than our coach but it is what it is.

ngineer
December 20th, 2022, 10:39 PM
I am not technically proficient at transferring video from other sites to post on this site, but I like the way Cahill handles himself when being questioned in an interview. Thoughtful and direct, without an 'edge'. A lot of coaches seem to jump in, immediately, with an answer without necessarily thinking it through, as though they automatically shift into 'coach-speak' phrases. Lehigh Football Partnership, I think, has some posted on Facebook.

NY Crusader 2010
December 21st, 2022, 08:35 AM
The more I chew on this hire, the more I think Lehigh probably made the best choice.

I wouldn't call it a "safe" hire as many have opined. While certainly a typically parochial hire from within the Ivy/Patriot group, TPTB in Bethlehem are definitely taking a leap of faith that he can transition from OC to HC and be the culture builder that Chesney has been at Holy Cross.

And the flashiest OC's aren't always the best OC's. Give me the guy who gets it done given the tools he has in his arsenal.

Looking forward to seeing Holy Cross and Lehigh battling it out for titles in near future.

Franks Tanks
December 21st, 2022, 08:57 AM
In the good news department his wife is pretty hot. According to James Franklin, that means he can recruit 😝

crusader11
December 21st, 2022, 09:11 AM
The more I chew on this hire, the more I think Lehigh probably made the best choice.

I wouldn't call it a "safe" hire as many have opined. While certainly a typically parochial hire from within the Ivy/Patriot group, TPTB in Bethlehem are definitely taking a leap of faith that he can transition from OC to HC and be the culture builder that Chesney has been at Holy Cross.

I just don't know. Cahill is predictable and safe, IMO.

Longtime Yale assistant who worked his was up from position coach to OC -- pretty much the exact path to becoming a PL head guy, it seems.

Comparing Cahill to Chesney -- don't see it. Chesney proved he successfully could run his own program at two stops (Salve and Assumption) prior to HC. He took two losing programs and made them winners in very short order.

I'm really eager to see how Cahill rounds out his staff.

ngineer
December 21st, 2022, 11:07 AM
I just don't know. Cahill is predictable and safe, IMO.

Longtime Yale assistant who worked his was up from position coach to OC -- pretty much the exact path to becoming a PL head guy, it seems.

Comparing Cahill to Chesney -- don't see it. Chesney proved he successfully could run his own program at two stops (Salve and Assumption) prior to HC. He took two losing programs and made them winners in very short order.

I'm really eager to see how Cahill rounds out his staff.

I agree that how he puts his staff together is very important, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Either schooling the QBs we already have or recruiting a top notch recruit will be primary. The OL was young this year and should improve, and the WRs are fairly good, with one being the PL's Rookie of the Year. Returning RBs are very good. So the die is cast on what the focus will be.

Fordham
December 21st, 2022, 02:03 PM

I understand that Conlin may not be able to move up now and maybe he never will. But what is it about Fordham's year over year performance since he got here that says he's stuck here until let go or retiring?

crusader11
December 21st, 2022, 02:14 PM
I understand that Conlin may not be able to move up now and maybe he never will. But what is it about Fordham's year over year performance since he got here that says he's stuck here until let go or retiring?

Below .500 overall record and only two games over .500 in a bad league to start.

I think Conlin is going to need to showcase he can have more than just one great season without an all-everything quarterback before he starts to get some real respect.

Seems like the knock on him is that he falters in big games and critical situations.

Fordham
December 21st, 2022, 02:42 PM
Below .500 overall record and only two games over .500 in a bad league to start.

I think Conlin is going to need to showcase he can have more than just one great season without an all-everything quarterback before he starts to get some real respect.

Seems like the knock on him is that he falters in big games and critical situations.

Totally different question, though. I'm not arguing he should be able to jump elsewhere at this point. Just more so challenging DFW's definitive statement that this is his last stop as head coach. I put Conlin in the category of TBD. Plenty of holes in his game that kept them from going undefeated and winning it this year although it's hard to have 2 closer losses and both against as high a quality as you'll find in FCS imo. Maybe this will be the peak for him and DFW will be right but take a look at the first half of his Fordham career this far v the back 1/2 and you see he took over a depleted squad from Breiner's disastrous era and has rebuilt it year over year. This year is sure to be his biggest challenge overall in replacing all that we lose but, again, Conlin should be in the TBD category imo instead of getting lumped in with the rest of DFW's PL coaches

Year
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Bowl/playoffs

Fordham Rams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordham_Rams_football) (Patriot League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_League)) (2018–present)

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Fordham_Rams_football_team)
2–9
2–4
T–4th

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Fordham_Rams_football_team)
4–8
2–4
6th

2020 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Fordham_Rams_football_team)
2–1
1–1
2nd (North)

2021 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Fordham_Rams_football_team)
6–5
4–2
3rd

2022 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Fordham_Rams_football_team)
9–3
5–1
2nd
L FCS First Round (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Postseaso n)

Fordham:
23–26
14–12

Total:
23–26