PDA

View Full Version : FUGameBreaker...threa of idiocy about the FCS Committee

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 10:05 AM
Furman is the best east coast team in First Round of the playoffs, and highest rated

There are two schools within a stones throw of Furman that are unranked and in the playoffs

Davidson is 120 miles away and Gardner Webb is 70 miles away

Does the FCS committee give a S##T about Furman, NOPE!

They send a highly ranked Elon team to Greenville instead that is located 215 miles away instead of one of the other two schools

Meanwhile a school in Fargo that has a worse resume than Furman gets a dang #3 seed

Total BS as always from the FCS board

F##K the committee! xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 10:14 AM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/XozypzpGakVuX2ciZJ/giphy.gif

JacksFan40
November 21st, 2022, 10:20 AM
If Furman is so good they should have no problem with Elon.

NDSU lost by 3 to Arizona, and by 2 to #1 SDSU. Furman lost by 23 to an overrated Clemson, in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicates, and to #8 Samford. I’ll take NDSU’s resume.

gofurman
November 21st, 2022, 10:24 AM
I don't go this far with blasting people but there is def some merit to the point that Davidson and Gardner Webb are the weak ones and BOTH Furman and Elon - BOTH, credit to Elon - are the probable stronger teams. I know they allow bids etc. but the committe should never have pitted Furman vs Elon in round 1 .. at worst that's a second round matchup. No way is this a first round. If geographically mandated then, well, it had to be (I try to be logical) but that wasn't the case. Davidson is 2.5 hours from Furman and Gardner Webb is even closer ! Elon is the farthest of the 3 teams. Hear me in that BOTH Furman and Elon got screwed here. Shame bc the loser will always wonder...

taper
November 21st, 2022, 10:40 AM
Anyone complaining about the Furman/Elon matchup needs to look at a map. The committee is REQUIRED to maximize bus trips unless it gives a OOC rematch. If you rearrange to throw cupcakes at these 2 it forces an extra flight. Simple as that, literally no other option because they have to follow the existing rules.

F'N Hawks
November 21st, 2022, 10:42 AM
Tell you what FUBAR, you take Weber and we will take Elon - deal?

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2022, 10:43 AM
Boo hoo.

If Furman is so high and mighty they should dispatch Elon and UIW with ease.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 10:47 AM
Tell you what FUBAR, you take Weber and we will take Elon - deal?
You don’t want that Formerly Fightin’ Former Christian smoke!

OTOH, we do remember the last time Weber came East to take on a SoCon Team in the Playoffs…

WEBER STATE -VS- CHATTANOOGA

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Weber State

Chattanooga

…so, if they’ll come to Travelers Rest, SC, you might have a deal.

taper
November 21st, 2022, 10:49 AM

OTOH, we do remember the last time Weber came East to take on a SoCon Team in the Playoffs…

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Weber State

Chattanooga

…so, if they’ll come to Travelers Rest, SC, you might have a deal.
Wait, so now FUBeAR uses previous year's games to predict this year?

Libertine
November 21st, 2022, 10:54 AM
This is a strong and unnecessary reaction from a team that (A) got back into the field for the first time in a minute and (B) is playing at home. Save a few salty tears left over for the fans of ND, G-W, SEMO, Idaho or even Elon (aka, the ones who aren't on here flipping off the internet as if that meant something).

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 10:55 AM
The past is the best, but imperfect, predictor of the future.

This fact is unrelated to the assessment of a defined time frame in the present.

https://media.tenor.com/Imh9TAOUjt8AAAAC/savvy-potc.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 10:56 AM
Spitting straight facts mane! xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 10:58 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/duf84Bx74ujSXvJs0I/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9528sfkjfn0npnwo7cnny1zprx57nqsv xutnnl3gjju&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 11:17 AM

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Weber State

Chattanooga

…so, if they’ll come to Travelers Rest, SC, you might have a deal.That game was 6 years ago.

Over half the rosters were in ****ing middle school for that game.

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2022, 11:27 AM

xdizzyx

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 11:29 AM
That game was 6 years ago.

Over half the rosters were in ****ing middle school for that game.
You got a more recent Weber vs. SoCon Team example that FUBeAR should have cited in response to F’N Hawks offer?

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 11:32 AM
xdizzyx
…as previously noted…

The past is the best, but imperfect, predictor of the future.

This fact is UNRELATED to the assessment of a defined time frame in the present.

https://media.tenor.com/Imh9TAOUjt8AAAAC/savvy-potc.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 12:10 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/44Eq3Ab5LPYn6/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9528sfkjfn0npnwo7cnny1zprx57nqsv xutnnl3gjju&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2022, 12:21 PM
Imagine being such a dumpster of a program that you make the playoffs and make a thread dedicated to whining about playing playoff caliber teams.

In the playoffs.

You'd think after winning the almighty guantlet that is the SoCon, Furman would be prepared for this.

Oh wait...

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2022, 12:25 PM
The selection committee's response to FUGameBreaker... that is if they would ever see it:

https://www.fightersgeneration.com/nf7/char/yoda-lightning-catch.gif

VandalBasher
November 21st, 2022, 12:29 PM
The Vandals will be travelling across the country. And, this was the best option. All of the hotels on the Palouse will be filled this weekend due to the Apple Cup game (UW vs. WSU). It would be a lousy showing on tv to have the Kibbie Dome empty.

Also, the game will start at 4pm PST. Our fans will be able to watch a great Saturday afternoon game.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2022, 12:38 PM
Sooooo....a few thoughts:

1) You're playing a home game. That's good.
2) Furman hasn't won a playoff game (against Elon, of all teams) since 2017, so uh ya get what ya get.
3) It is extremely curious to me why they didn't get Davidson or GW, given geographic proximity. I can see the counter argument, but given that
4) The current playoff format objectively sucks for east coast teams. Even if you think that Furman wasn't shafted (I don't care one way or another), they get the privilege of playing the same teams over and over again in the first round. The frequency and repetition of these first round games (Wofford vs KSU, Furman vs Elon) is extremely tiresome. I imagine the CAA and Patriot/Northeast teams have a similar dynamic but I don't know that history as well.
5) Because the Big Sky/MVFC are so far away from any competition to take a bus, they're guaranteed some novelty when they make the playoffs. East Coast teams don't get that.

So, maybe I'm hijacking this thread, but I just want to point out the three things that used to make the FCS playoffs interesting for any given fan (novelty of competition, probability of winning a first round game, probability of seeing at least one game nearby, etc) are minimized to eliminated for the east coast teams.

There's a lot of reason for this, including the western teams getting better, the playoff field getting bigger, and so on. But it's not going to be solved by one good bracket or one good year. The whole system sucks because the NCAA cuts costs in a penny wise, pound foolish way. It's not meant to improve the fan or athlete experience. It's just there to crown a champion and reduce costs. And that's it, and it's good at those things and it sucks at all the things people actually care about when they go see their team play football any given week.

deez_na
November 21st, 2022, 12:39 PM
Lol, angry little dude

SCPALADIN
November 21st, 2022, 12:44 PM
Imagine being such a dumpster of a program that you make the playoffs and make a thread dedicated to whining about playing playoff caliber teams.

In the playoffs.

You'd think after winning the almighty guantlet that is the SoCon, Furman would be prepared for this.

Oh wait...

So you're equating the state of entire football program on the postings of an internet troll? Just want to make sure I understand your "logic".
And yes, he's a troll. He's literally PM'd fellow Furman fans and called them weasels, chumps, and not true fans when we don't follow his lead in our posts.
What's amusing to those of us who've been season ticket holders and donors for 20+ years, is that this guy disappears in years we struggle.
The block function is your friend...applies to the Furman message board too.
Chattownmocs would be proud.

Go Dins. Travel safe Saturday Elon. Look forward to a great game. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we can have some tailgating together like the old days.

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 12:54 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/c2/0f/18c20fea7e7cab4f4aedcd27bc5bbfc2.gif

deez_na
November 21st, 2022, 12:56 PM
Furman deserves seed over NDSU, seriously still going on about that?

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 12:59 PM
So you're equating the state of entire football program on the postings of an internet troll? Just want to make sure I understand your "logic".
And yes, he's a troll. He's literally PM'd fellow Furman fans and called them weasels, chumps, and not true fans when we don't follow his lead in our posts.
What's amusing to those of us who've been season ticket holders and donors for 20+ years, is that this guy disappears in years we struggle.

Go Dins. Travel safe Saturday Elon. Look forward to a great game. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we can have some tailgating together like the old days.

I've been called much worse from 'Chumps' like you, do I give a single damn, NOPE xthumbsupx

I am not going to suck off the FCS committee while idiots like you apologize to them, I am going to call them out loudly mane xnodx

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2022, 01:04 PM
I've been called much worse from 'Chumps' like you, do I give a single damn, NOPE xthumbsupx

I am not going to suck off the FCS committee while idiots like you apologize to them, I am going to call them out loudly mane xnodx
And you accomplish soooo much by peppering this thread with bird flipping gifs. xrolleyesx

taper
November 21st, 2022, 01:05 PM
Sooooo....a few thoughts:
3) It is extremely curious to me why they didn't get Davidson or GW, given geographic proximity. I can see the counter argument, but given that
4) The current playoff format objectively sucks for east coast teams. Even if you think that Furman wasn't shafted (I don't care one way or another), they get the privilege of playing the same teams over and over again in the first round. The frequency and repetition of these first round games (Wofford vs KSU, Furman vs Elon) is extremely tiresome. I imagine the CAA and Patriot/Northeast teams have a similar dynamic but I don't know that history as well.
5) Because the Big Sky/MVFC are so far away from any competition to take a bus, they're guaranteed some novelty when they make the playoffs. East Coast teams don't get that.

3) As I said before, the committee's hands were tied on this. 3 bus trips will ALWAYS be chosen over 2 bus and 1 flight even if some have longer trips.
4) East coast has a huge advantage. You almost always get the cupcakes of PFL, NEC, and usually PL. All 3 of these teams are traveling to CAA schools next week and are expected to lose, though Fordham has a decent shot. ALL of the western games could go either way.
5) Very rarely true. Big Sky and Valley teams get replays all the time, especially the later rounds. It's gotten better since the rules changed to reduce OOC rematches, but we're the reason that rule was passed.

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 01:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HQ7htJz.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 01:13 PM
And you accomplish soooo much by peppering this thread with bird flipping gifs. xrolleyesx

All the blah blah blah has been said before, only takes half a brain to know the truth, the only thing the committee deserves at this point are a few flying birds

Sir William
This fool in no way, shape or form represents Furman or speaks for Paladin Nation, and has never. Please ignore him. He's a clown, and is in no way associated with us.

FUGameBreaker
https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/peace_between_worlds_rick_morty.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 01:19 PM
This fool in no way, shape or form represents Furman or speaks for Paladin Nation, and has never. Please ignore him. He's a clown, and is in no way associated with us.

Get over yourself mane, I am not trying to speak for anybody, I am speaking for myself and myself says...........

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ei9NmSyQ5hsKtJV62r/giphy.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 01:20 PM
Oh and committee I forgot to mention............

https://i.gifer.com/origin/d5/d59fdc7ca9963f83ae4ff8a9f5691799_w200.gif

ElonFirefighter
November 21st, 2022, 01:30 PM
Furman deserves seed over NDSU, seriously still going on about that?
NDSU's Bid to the committee

https://giphy.com/gifs/jake-gyllenhaal-point-pleasant-police-department-spitting-gif-aEPdjKR2TYtwY

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 01:52 PM
You got a more recent Weber vs. SoCon Team example that FUBeAR should have cited in response to F’N Hawks offer?
No - because it doesn't matter.

I got one for you though

Weber beat UNI in 2019
UNI beat a top 10 ranked Wofford team in the playoffs in 2012

Weber>UNI>Wofford

Ergo Weber>SoCon

Chalupa Batman
November 21st, 2022, 01:58 PM
I don't go this far with blasting people but there is def some merit to the point that Davidson and Gardner Webb are the weak ones and BOTH Furman and Elon - BOTH, credit to Elon - are the probable stronger teams. I know they allow bids etc. but the committe should never have pitted Furman vs Elon in round 1 .. at worst that's a second round matchup. No way is this a first round. If geographically mandated then, well, it had to be (I try to be logical) but that wasn't the case. Davidson is 2.5 hours from Furman and Gardner Webb is even closer ! Elon is the farthest of the 3 teams. Hear me in that BOTH Furman and Elon got screwed here. Shame bc the loser will always wonder...

Anyone complaining about the Furman/Elon matchup needs to look at a map. The committee is REQUIRED to maximize bus trips unless it gives a OOC rematch. If you rearrange to throw cupcakes at these 2 it forces an extra flight. Simple as that, literally no other option because they have to follow the existing rules.

After getting corrected by PC, I posted these alternative 1st round matchups is in the Selection Sunday thread (AGS ranking in parenthesis):

(10) Furman/(22) Eastern Kentucky
(11) Elon/(24) Davidson
(12) Richmond/(23) Gardner-Webb

Putting Elon/Davidson & Furman/Gardner-Webb together leaves EKU & Richmond but they are more than 400 miles apart. But with these 3 matchups they all remain bus trips.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2022, 02:03 PM
After getting corrected by PC, I posted these alternative 1st round matchups is in the Selection Sunday thread (AGS ranking in parenthesis):

(11) Elon/(24) Davidson

Putting Elon/Davidson & Furman/Gardner-Webb together leaves EKU & Richmond but they are more than 400 miles apart. But with these 3 matchups they all remain bus trips.

Great post. This absolutely should've happened. My best guess is Elon put a bid up smaller than EKU and that mattered.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2022, 02:05 PM
I also think ndsu is not the right team to bicker at for seeds. It's UIW, who is 0-1 against playoff teams and I wouldn't have seeded.

OhioHen
November 21st, 2022, 02:07 PM
Great post. This absolutely should've happened. My best guess is Elon put a bid up smaller than EKU and that mattered.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! The almighty $$$$ matters more.

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 02:16 PM
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! The almighty $$$$ matters more.
Unless you're UND/Weber

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 02:16 PM
No - because it doesn't matter.

I got one for you though

Weber beat UNI in 2019
UNI beat a top 10 ranked Wofford team in the playoffs in 2012

Weber>UNI>Wofford

Ergo Weber>SoConLOL - yeah…that’s WAY better!

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 02:22 PM
LOL - yeah…that’s WAY better!
Just as nonsensical as a game from 2016

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 02:25 PM

(11) Elon/(24) Davidson

Putting Elon/Davidson & Furman/Gardner-Webb together leaves EKU & Richmond but they are more than 400 miles apart. But with these 3 matchups they all remain bus trips.Also posted in the other thread - this works great!

as does…

(10) Furman/(23) Gardner-Webb
(11) Elon/(22) Eastern Kentucky
(12) Richmond/(24) Davidson

…that is just a tad better for competitive balance and, possibly, fewer overall miles.

BTW - FUBeAR did confirm via GoogleMaps that a Richmond, KY address is exactly 400 miles from an Elon, NC address. So, all bus rides.

Committee was just lazy and/or intent upon sticking it to the SoCon. They prolly still think of Elon as SoCon. #10 vs. #11 in round 1 is stupid.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 02:27 PM
Just as nonsensical as a game from 2016
No.

Taking the most recent matchup vs. whatever Frankenstein concoction you cooked up is far more “sensical.”

Yours was way funnier though!

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2022, 03:16 PM

Don't mind me.

I'm just here for the free entertainment.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2022, 04:06 PM
3) As I said before, the committee's hands were tied on this. 3 bus trips will ALWAYS be chosen over 2 bus and 1 flight even if some have longer trips.
4) East coast has a huge advantage. You almost always get the cupcakes of PFL, NEC, and usually PL. All 3 of these teams are traveling to CAA schools next week and are expected to lose, though Fordham has a decent shot. ALL of the western games could go either way.
5) Very rarely true. Big Sky and Valley teams get replays all the time, especially the later rounds. It's gotten better since the rules changed to reduce OOC rematches, but we're the reason that rule was passed.

The FCS playoffs needs a sugar daddy

ElonFirefighter
November 21st, 2022, 04:14 PM

I think our admin just didn't care enough for a home game. With Students gone and their drive more towards academics they just didn't want to pony up the cash needed. Its a loose loose here in NC. We don't have the local support other schools get due to being in ACC country.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2022, 04:57 PM
For 4, you said east coast when you meant CAA.

I'd bet $10 that southern FCS teams have played less cupcake conferences relative to the CAA and less diverse opponents in the first round.

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 05:10 PM
No.

Taking the most recent matchup vs. whatever Frankenstein concoction you cooked up is far more “sensical.”

Yours was way funnier though!
2019 Weber UNI is more recent than 2016 Weber Chatty

Thus mine is technically more recent. The best kind of recent.

dewey
November 21st, 2022, 05:21 PM

Dang it Clenz but it doesn't support the whining mission of a few Furman fans.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2022, 05:49 PM

I have a feeling you are going to find navigation here difficult for a bit. Now STFU with your crybaby act.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 05:56 PM

Perhaps, if we allow the 2nd 2012 Time Leap, Doc Brown, so as to include an additional game/team to build your cantilevered bridge to the present day….technically.

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 06:20 PM
Perhaps, if we allow the 2nd 2012 Time Leap, Doc Brown, so as to include an additional game/team to build your cantilevered bridge to the present day….technically.
2012 is only one extra year than the initial game brought up.

If 6 years is relevant so it 7....plus the fact UNI/WSU was far more recent....no time leap needed.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 06:27 PM
2012 is only one extra year than the initial game brought up.

If 6 years is relevant so it 7....plus the fact UNI/WSU was far more recent....no time leap needed.
LOL - you cannot be keeping a straight face while you’re typing this ish, can you?

Daytripper
November 21st, 2022, 06:30 PM
I think our admin just didn't care enough for a home game. With Students gone and their drive more towards academics they just didn't want to pony up the cash needed. Its a loose loose here in NC. We don't have the local support other schools get due to being in ACC country.

I feel ya.

Preferred Walk-On
November 21st, 2022, 06:48 PM

Can I bring my Sports Almanac with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 21st, 2022, 06:50 PM
Can I bring my Sports Almanac with me?

Got to be Gray's Sports Almanac.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2022, 07:52 PM
Got to be Gray's Sports Almanac.

It's the only one I trust.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2022, 08:03 PM
WHAT DOES.....MANE....MEAN.......xdontknowx......BRAWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2022, 08:07 PM
WHAT DOES.....MANE....MEAN.......xdontknowx......BRAWK!

Appropriately, it is the other end of a horses ass.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2022, 08:11 PM
Appropriately, it is the other end of a horses ass.

.....YOUSE PRAIRIE DOGS.......DON'T TALK.......LIKE DUH CITY............AWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2022, 08:16 PM
.....YOUSE PRAIRIE DOGS.......DON'T TALK.......LIKE DUH CITY............AWK!

Listen mang, I don't talk like that either.:D

clenz
November 21st, 2022, 08:36 PM
LOL - you cannot be keeping a straight face while you’re typing this ish, can you?

100% straight faced.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2022, 08:52 PM
This is the strangest thread I have seen in a long time.

SCPALADIN
November 21st, 2022, 08:56 PM
This is the strangest thread I have seen in a long time.

It's definitely up there.

Even the thread title is a trainwreck.