PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs: SWAC rep?

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yes? No? Probable? Who? xreadx

I'm throwing the hat of YOUR Prairie View A&M University Panthers in the mix for consideration iff [corollary] we win out and complete the season @ 8-2 w/ an ALL-FCS opponent schedule.

Discuss! xreadx

*disclaimer: if you want to smack, take it to the smack board. My name is Panther88 and the AGS admins have authorized me to notify you that this is a serious topic and no smack is ALLOWED! God bless America... and God bless George Bush! :D

813Jag
October 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yes? No? Probable? Who? xreadx

I'm throwing the hat of YOUR Prairie View A&M University Panthers in the mix for consideration iff [corollary] we win out and complete the season @ 8-2 w/ an ALL-FCS opponent schedule.

Discuss! xreadx

*disclaimer: if you want to smack, take it to the smack board. My name is Panther88 and the AGS admins have authorized me to notify you that this is a serious topic and no smack is ALLOWED! God bless America... and God bless George Bush! :D
I think that 12-2 loss will hurt your chances a little bit. xlolx

GannonFan
October 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Nope - no chance. Only a 10 game schedule with only 1 game OOC, and that game was against NC A&T, who currently sits at 1-6 at the bottom of the MEAC. I can safely say there is no scenario where Prairie View will make the playoffs this year. xcoffeex

813Jag
October 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Nope - no chance. Only a 10 game schedule with only 1 game OOC, and that game was against NC A&T, who currently sits at 1-6 at the bottom of the MEAC. I can safely say there is no scenario where Prairie View will make the playoffs this year. xcoffeex
A&T is winless, but the Panthers are improving. I'm glad the Jags played them when they did.

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Understood GannonFan. What perplexes me is that a 5-5 or 6-4 squad from a "power" FCS conference (whatever that means) will stand a better chance of making the playoffs than our squad IFF we win out & complete @ 8-2.

I have serious issues w/ that considering how our guys have played throughout the current year. History isn't on our side, this is very true.

Certainly would be nice to get a SWAC rep in the fold. Since GSU and SU are locking up BC week AND the SWAC W and SWAC E champ due to tangle the first week in Dec, that leaves... xreadx

GannonFan
October 29th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Understood GannonFan. What perplexes me is that a 5-5 or 6-4 squad from a "power" FCS conference (whatever that means) will stand a better chance of making the playoffs than our squad IFF we win out & complete @ 8-2.

I have serious issues w/ that considering how our guys have played throughout the current year. History isn't on our side, this is very true.

Certainly would be nice to get a SWAC rep in the fold. Since GSU and SU are locking up BC week AND the SWAC W and SWAC E champ due to tangle the first week in Dec, that leaves... xreadx

I don't think any 5-5 or 6-4 teams are going to be making the playoffs either as at larges. Heck, there could be some good 8-3 teams on the outside looking in. Don't get confused by the teams getting in as auto-bids, at large teams need to have very good resumes this year to get in and frankly Prairie View just doesn't have it.

Why only 10 games this year?

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM
No. The NCAA will NEVER take a second place team if the first place team won't go. xnonox

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I think two things would help a conference get consideration relative to other conferences. One would be out-of-conference wins and the 9-conference game mandate makes that very difficult for the SWAC. The other is past playoff performances and, well, we know the SWAC has no recent playoff history.

So if the committee sees an 8-3 from the Southern Conference that has played games against 2-3 conference teams who have playoff histories and might have a quality win or two out of conference, that's going to be awfully impressive compared to PV's schedule.

My suggestion? Grambling and Southern play as football-only independents with contracts with the SWAC members to play x number of non-conference games a year against SWAC schools. Then you have a 10-team SWAC that can have an automatic berth to the playoffs...

The Bayou Classic winner can then invite whoever they want to play in a post-season game, the assumption being that the "bowl game" opponent would be an HBC, and probably not one that participated in the playoffs.

mikebigg
October 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Keep on winning Panth... yall had the best defense we've faced all season. Definitely headed in the right direction. I don't think the NCAA would even take Grambling as an at large bid... they want the SWAC to make a commitment, which I can understand (somewhat).

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The trouble is too that if Southern wins out too, they'd be 9-2 and PV A&M would be third in SWAC East, technically. Although they'd technically have the right number of wins, it would be a difficult sell.

The more interesting one is AAMU. If they lose to Jackson State and win the rest of their games, they would have two losses: one to Grambling and one to Jackson State and 8 D-I wins. Southern and Tennessee State are the only quality wins - but maybe, just maybe, they could be under discussion.

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I don't think any 5-5 or 6-4 teams are going to be making the playoffs either as at larges. Heck, there could be some good 8-3 teams on the outside looking in. Don't get confused by the teams getting in as auto-bids, at large teams need to have very good resumes this year to get in and frankly Prairie View just doesn't have it.

Why only 10 games this year?

Very good quest GF. My personal thoughts are last minute scheduling woes. Funny that SHSU had an open date the same week we had one (I think it was 9/22/2007 xreadx ) and neither AD stepped forward to aggressively pursue a matchup. In our defense though, SHSU had 2 possibilities waiting in the wind on that date.

Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking. I'm sure the at-larges will have an impressive resume'. Certainly would be nice for us to reward our kids w/ an extra week (or so ;)) of FCS play.

813Jag
October 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Keep on winning Panth... yall had the best defense we've faced all season. Definitely headed in the right direction. I don't think the NCAA would even take Grambling as an at large bid... they want the SWAC to make a commitment, which I can understand (somewhat).
If they can improve their offense they'll be a dangerous team in the SWAC.

mikebigg
October 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Very good quest GF. My personal thoughts are last minute scheduling woes. Funny that SHSU had an open date the same week we had one (I think it was 9/22/2007 xreadx ) and neither AD stepped forward to aggressively pursue a matchup. In our defense though, SHSU had 2 possibilities waiting in the wind on that date.

Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking. I'm sure the at-larges will have an impressive resume'. Certainly would be nice for us to reward our kids w/ an extra week (or so ;)) of FCS play.

An annual game between these two schools makes all the sense in the world. How many miles are yall apart? If PV continues to improve and can get some offense, then they will be real. The question is will SU make a call to Heishma Northern if Pete Richardson doesn't return.

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
No. The NCAA will NEVER take a second place team if the first place team won't go. xnonox

Understood. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Panther88, the NCAA could not take a team that does not meet the minimum of seven Div I wins. Think you mentioned elsewhere of a 6-4 team making the playoffs...

SWAC needs to show their stuff next season when they play more OOC. Beat on the MEAC, OVC, SLC and whomever else they can get on the schedule. 88, you know I want SHSU vs PVA&M!

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
An annual game between these two schools makes all the sense in the world. How many miles are yall apart? If PV continues to improve and can get some offense, then they will be real. The question is will SU make a call to Heishma Northern if Pete Richardson doesn't return.

~75-95mins apart if you go through the "country" lol (cut across Montgomery County via Magnolia/Montgomery/FM1629 (?????) towards 30 east). :) We're ridiculously close.

SU can indeed make the call and I'm certain Heish has to do what's best in his own future as far as attaining his personal goals. We'd certainly hate to lose him though. :(

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Understood. xthumbsupx

:o I didn't mean to be so stern.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
~75-95mins apart if you go through the "country" lol (cut across Montgomery County via Magnolia/Montgomery/FM1629 (?????) towards 30 east). :) We're ridiculously close.

SHSU is booking that schedule up...time for PVA&M and SHSU to make the commitment and in it, include home-and-home deals in MBB and WBB (I think SHSU already has a H-and-H with TxSo in MBB)...

We got an FCS home-and-home against a solid foe starting in '08. A four year home-and-home with Western Illinois beginning in '09. North Dakota State coming to Huntsville in '09.

Always have that FBS game -- Kansas in '08. No clue about '09 or '10 just yet (I can forsee a return to the DFW Metroplex)...

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Panther88, the NCAA could not take a team that does not meet the minimum of seven Div I wins. Think you mentioned elsewhere of a 6-4 team making the playoffs...

SWAC needs to show their stuff next season when they play more OOC. Beat on the MEAC, OVC, SLC and whomever else they can get on the schedule. 88, you know I want SHSU vs PVA&M!

Yeah, I don't think we're quite ready for you guys TT (not demeaning my own squad) but you guys are on a level that we're aspiring to get to. SHSU is very athletic (saw some clips from this past w/e vs SFA ;) ).

I would, however, more than welcome a game vs SHSU. Should be a sellout regardless of where it's played. xthumbsupx

Panther88
October 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
:o I didn't mean to be so stern.

No problemo 89Hen. I understood your point, that's all.

813Jag
October 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM

SU can indeed make the call and I'm certain Heish has to do what's best in his own future as far as attaining his personal goals. We'd certainly hate to lose him though. :(
Heish has been to Grambling and PV, it's time for him to come home if he wishes. When I saw he was coaching at PV I knew they would be agressive.

UMass922
October 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM
The more interesting one is AAMU. If they lose to Jackson State and win the rest of their games, they would have two losses: one to Grambling and one to Jackson State and 8 D-I wins. Southern and Tennessee State are the only quality wins - but maybe, just maybe, they could be under discussion.

That's an intriguing case. If there was a dearth of eight-win teams, as there was last year, AAMU could have a very good case. Looks like there are going to be plenty of other eight-win teams, though. Still, AAMU is worth keeping on the radar. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Mr. Tiger
October 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I don't see it happening this season but it could happen in the near future. Alabama A&M has the best shot this season, but if they were defeated by us this weekend (which I believe will happen xlolx ), they would be knocked out of the rankings. And there will be no time to rebound. Next year, I could really see this happening because the SWAC will play more non-conference games and I truly believe Grambling, Alabama A&M, Prairie View, and Jackson State are improving their play. We just have to prove it with more non-conference games.

813Jag
October 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I don't see it happening this season but it could happen in the near future. Alabama A&M has the best shot this season, but if they were defeated by us this weekend (which I believe will happen xlolx ), they would be knocked out of the rankings. And there will be no time to rebound. Next year, I could really see this happening because the SWAC will play more non-conference games and I truly believe Grambling, Alabama A&M, Prairie View, and Jackson State are improving their play. We just have to prove it with more non-conference games.
You don't think Southern has improved? They'll be much better with an actual offensive line.

Panther88
November 3rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
Anyone care to revisit this, barring a loss by PV to UAPB of course *crossing fingers*.

I really think our guys can win out and hopefully they'll prove me right. And, if so, I wonder if the FCS select committee will consider PV?

Discuss. xreadx

R.A.
November 3rd, 2007, 04:33 AM

I'm not exactly sure, but I think you are wrong. Jackson State received an at-large bid into the playoffs within the last ten years out of the SWAC.

Mr. Tiger perhaps you can add to this.

Mr. Tiger
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but I think you are wrong. Jackson State received an at-large bid into the playoffs within the last ten years out of the SWAC.

Mr. Tiger perhaps you can add to this.

The last at-large was 1997, Jackson State loss to Western Illinois 24-17. And we were 9-2 that year. Same record Alabama A&M would have if they loss to us today and won the rest of their games. Southern was the SWAC champ at 11-1 in 1997.

citdog
November 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
YOU'RE EITHER IN AS A CONFERENCE OR OUT AS A CONFERENCE. GO PLAY YOUR CLASSICS AND FAKE BOWL GAMES AND LEAVE THE PLAYOFFS TO THE REAL FCS TEAMS!

Mr. Tiger
November 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
YOU'RE EITHER IN AS A CONFERENCE OR OUT AS A CONFERENCE. GO PLAY YOUR CLASSICS AND FAKE BOWL GAMES AND LEAVE THE PLAYOFFS TO THE REAL FCS TEAMS!

We know where your team will be....AT HOME LIKE ALWAYS. xlolx

citdog
November 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
We know where your team will be....AT HOME LIKE ALWAYS. xlolx

at least the conference we play in isn't an embarassment to the entire Football Championship Subdivision.xrulesx

Mr. Tiger
November 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
at least the conference we play in isn't an embarassment to the entire Football Championship Subdivision.xrulesx

xrolleyesx I am not going to turn a nice thread into smack because I can smack with the best of them. So have a nice day Citdog. Carry on...

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Play nice boys. :)

mikebigg
November 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM

Our conference doesn't have an autobid...we did not opt out of the playoffs. You need to get your fact straight!

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Our conference doesn't have an autobid...we did not opt out of the playoffs. You need to get your fact straight!

You guys chose not to participate by not making it possible for the league to compete when the playoff structure changed to the current setup...

PVA&M lost their chances at making the Div I playoffs with their losses this week...

AAMU needs to win the next two...

mikebigg
November 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
You guys chose not to participate by not making it possible for the league to compete when the playoff structure changed to the current setup...

PVA&M lost their chances at making the Div I playoffs with their losses this week...

AAMU needs to win the next two...

Here we go again... The SWAC did not have an autobid because the NCAA wanted Grambling/Southern to change the Bayou Classic Date...and for Alabama State to change the Turkey Day Classic. Both games are older than the (former) 1AA playoffs, so the teams declined to make the change. The NCAA said fine... no autobid. The SWAC said, "cool, we'll expand and have a Championship game".

Accept it for what it is... the NCAA said comply or else. The SWAC took the "or else".

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Accept it for what it is... the NCAA said comply or else. The SWAC took the "or else".

Exactly, you chose not to participate by not making the changes to meet the format. Key word is 'chose' your current path...