PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Playoffs Round 1: Elon @ Furman

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Game kicks off at 12PM ET on Saturday 11/26 and will be streamable on ESPN+. Here's how they break down statistically (the number in parentheses is each team's FCS rank in that particular category).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52513022483_472ae82c02_z.jpg

Winner moves on to face #7 Incarnate Word.

ElonFirefighter
November 20th, 2022, 12:29 PM
Not surehow i feel about this. Seems a lot of other teams got a better draw. They didnt do either team any favors

The Cats
November 20th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Furman wins

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Good matchup, leaning towards Elon.

Libertine
November 20th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Not sold on either team over the other. Picking Furman at home.

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Pretty sure Furman will smoke em.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Not surehow i feel about this. Seems a lot of other teams got a better draw. They didnt do either team any favors
Nope - 213 miles apart - Davidson shoulda hopped up the road to Elon (103 miles) and G-W hopped down the road to Furman (64 miles).

334 miles round trips for 2 games vs. 426 miles round trip for 1 game.

instead…

Davidson goes 273 miles to Richmond, VA (passing by Elon) - 546 round trip &…
G-W goes 313 to Richmond, KY - 626 round trip

Richmond & EKU are 489 apart…so they couldn’t match up…prolly could shuffled differently anyway…

BUT…GREATLY looking forward to seeing the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians in Paladin Stadium next Saturday. FUBeAR will be there…Lord willin’, of course.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Boy Furman got porked here. Elon couldn't play Richmond because of the rematch rules, but boy. Elon's a good team. Furman's a good team. Both are semifinal quality. Should be the best matchup of the first round.

Tribal
November 20th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Elon’s passing game vs Furman’s secondary will be a real battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 02:04 PM
Boy Furman got porked here. Elon couldn't play Richmond because of the rematch rules, but boy. Elon's a good team. Furman's a good team. Both are semifinal quality. Should be the best matchup of the first round.
Wouldn’t go as far to say they’re both semifinal quality teams.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Pretty damn certain we’ll never know if both are semifinal quality…and that will prove you right, won’t it?

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 02:13 PM
one of only two socon teams worthy of the playoffs. Playing against an Elon team that can be hit or miss. will be an interesting matchup

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Well at least Elon doesn’t have to go back up north but playing at Furman gives edge to the So Conf team I think

POD Knows
November 20th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Blow out, Furman by a ton #bookit

gofurman
November 20th, 2022, 11:25 PM

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Gardner Webb and Davidson are closer to Furman than Elon geographically !

Furman and Elon are ranked roughly 11/13 in polls. In a 24 team playoff with 8 seeds /byes... 9-24 are playing this weekend. No WAY 11 should be playing 13 !!! Such is life in the damn FCS

Committee don't give a crap.
"Hey, let's pit number 9 vs number 10 !!!!!!!!!! "

gofurman
November 20th, 2022, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't either (see, objective) but this is the shtt draw of the round. Loser really got set up. F the committe. As FUBeAR said Furman should be playing one of GWebb or Davidson and Elon should be playing one of Gwebb or Davidson. Furman AND Elon got crapped on

gofurman
November 20th, 2022, 11:32 PM
Elon QB Matthew McKay is interesting; 23 year old RS Senior. Played at NC State’17 (RS), ‘18 and ‘19. Started 5 games for the Wolfpack in’19 and threw for 1000+ yards. Transferred to Montana State for the’21 season and started on a 12-3 Playoff team. He’s 6’4, 212, and has thrown for 2,400 yards and run for 400+ this season."

Good grief - 23 year old !!! Is that the most experienced / oldest QB in the country?? And a former NC State Starter.

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2022, 03:09 AM
Furman's defense has got to be one of the most underrated in the field. They B**** slapped a Mercer offense that averaged over 40 in every game apart from playing Furman and Auburn. However, Elon's defense is also pretty undervalued. I think Tyler Huff is the superior QB, though, and that should prove to be the difference. Elon probably has the better running back corps, but Furman is stout against the run.

OhioHen
November 21st, 2022, 07:33 AM
The oft-repeated "Elon lost to winless-in-the-SoCon Wofford in 2021 proving the SoCon is better than the CAA" argument just won't stop playing in my head. The Phoenix will stop the earworm.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2022, 08:16 AM
THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Gardner Webb and Davidson are closer to Furman than Elon geographically !

Furman and Elon are ranked roughly 11/13 in polls. In a 24 team playoff with 8 seeds /byes... 9-24 are playing this weekend. No WAY 11 should be playing 13 !!! Such is life in the damn FCS

Committee don't give a crap.
"Hey, let's pit number 9 vs number 10 !!!!!!!!!! "

Going to have to beat the best to be the best. Great opportunity here for Furman or Elon.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 08:27 AM
Going to have to beat the best to be the best. Great opportunity here for Furman or Elon.
Cool.

Let’s change up the bracket and send the bizuns to SacState for a 1st round game. Winner goes to SDSU.

You should be 100% good with that because, y’know, you have to beat the best to be the best anyway…what an amazing “opportunity” that would be for NDSU Football and Fans…right?

And, FUBeAR knows, because it ain’t gonna happen, you’ll LIE like a buffalo skin rug on FUBeAR’s man cave floor, and say you’d be perfectly fine with that. Y’all certainly have a good Football Team up there, but the pseudo-macho ish that y’all say in refusing to acknowledge the BS that comes out of the Selection Committee and the F’d up structure of the FSC Playoffs really is diminishing.

ElCid
November 21st, 2022, 08:41 AM
Cool.

Let’s change up the bracket and send the bizuns to SacState for a 1st round game. Winner goes to SDSU.

You should be 100% good with that because, y’know, you have to beat the best to be the best anyway…what an amazing “opportunity” that would be for NDSU Football and Fans…right?

And, FUBeAR knows, because it ain’t gonna happen, you’ll LIE like a buffalo skin rug on FUBeAR’s man cave floor, and say you’d be perfectly fine with that. Y’all certainly have a good Football Team up there, but the pseudo-macho ish that y’all say in refusing to acknowledge the BS that comes out of the Selection Committee and the F’d up structure of the FSC Playoffs really is diminishing.

This right here. I hear screaming about "seeding," as done holy grail. But the truth of the matter is that seeding is just a way to stack the deck. People whine about who and how some teams get in. But just as big of an issue is how the matchups were determined. Sure the bidding plays a part, and avoiding repeat matchups, but there is still discretion. And this match up was a bit curious. Some additional transparency seems to be in order.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2022, 08:46 AM
This game is a little jarring to me because Elon played Wofford when we didn't have an offense and Furman played Wofford when we didn't have a defense lol

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 09:10 AM
The oft-repeated "Elon lost to winless-in-the-SoCon Wofford in 2021 proving the SoCon is better than the CAA”

oh…you mean…this?

2021 Wofford Football Schedule

Date
Opponent
Result
Cumulative Conference Record

9/4
at Elon (https://fbschedules.com/2021-elon-football-schedule/)
W
1-0
CAA Record

9/25
at VMI (https://fbschedules.com/2021-vmi-football-schedule/)
L
0-1

10/2
at ETSU (https://fbschedules.com/2021-etsu-football-schedule/)
L
0-2

10/9
Furman (https://fbschedules.com/2021-furman-football-schedule/)
L
0-3

10/16
Samford (https://fbschedules.com/2021-samford-football-schedule/)
L
0-4

10/23
at Mercer (https://fbschedules.com/2021-mercer-football-schedule/)
L
0-5

10/30
W (https://fbschedules.com/2021-western-carolina-football-schedule/)CU
L
0-6

11/6
Chattanooga (https://fbschedules.com/2021-chattanooga-football-schedule/)
L
0-7

11/13
at Citadel (https://fbschedules.com/2021-the-citadel-football-schedule/)
L
0-8
SoCon Record

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2022, 09:58 AM
https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/1594430369167986689

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU SUXS xthumbsupx

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2022, 11:00 AM
Elon’s passing game vs Furman’s secondary will be a real battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Furman is playing a very aggressive defense this season.
They also rely on a heavy rotation of players at every defensive position.

The fun battle to watch IMO will be Furman's four-man rush against the Phoenix.
The DINS will rotate d-lines the entire game.

Teams have been able to hit some big pass plays.

One thing I do know… Elon will be focused on Furman's special teams. Furman has an uncanny knack for blocking kicks (9).
We also have two speedsters returning kickoffs.

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2022, 11:12 AM
Furman's defense has got to be one of the most underrated in the field. They B**** slapped a Mercer offense that averaged over 40 in every game apart from playing Furman and Auburn. However, Elon's defense is also pretty undervalued. I think Tyler Huff is the superior QB, though, and that should prove to be the difference. Elon probably has the better running back corps, but Furman is stout against the run.

I think your comment is spot on except for the running backs comment. Elon is primarily a one-back team, with a QB that can run.
Furman employs a Corps of running backs.

Furman's starting RB is Dominic Roberto at 5-11 232 he's a load. Averaging 6.1 yards per rush, 963 yards, and he can catch the ball 130 yards receiving.
The back up the last two games is speedster Kendall Thomas 5-9 193 (Devin Abrams 6-1, 215 hopefully will be back).
Furman will not hesitate to also play several freshmen Grant Robinson (6-0 218) and Myion Hicks- if healthy (5-11 216).
Furman could play highly regarded true freshman Jayquan Smith (6-0 194) Furman is planning on redshirting Smith but he can play in three more games.

Lastly, there is Tyler Huff — he's a second running back, at 6-1 208 he's a weapon.
One interesting tidbit, Elon also recruited Roberto but to play LB.

Catamount87
November 21st, 2022, 12:34 PM
.... Sure the bidding plays a part....

Don't you mean, sure revenue generation opportunities play the most important part.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2022, 03:20 PM

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU SUXS xthumbsupx
Cool. Now do Most All-Time FCS Playoff Championships.

VandalBasher
November 21st, 2022, 03:22 PM
The Vandals are happy to be here.

ElonFirefighter
November 21st, 2022, 04:18 PM

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU SUXS xthumbsupx

Thats kind of like saying I got to take the pretty girl to the dance the most, while another dude is taking her home

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 04:33 PM
Thats kind of like saying I got to take the pretty girl to the dance the most, while another dude is taking her home
Sez the zit-faced nerd who’s only even been able to borrow his Uncle Rico’s car 3 times in over 20 years, drove to the dance, and got his a$$ whipped before he could even get out of that Gremlin, just for daring to show up, with one of those a$$-whoopins administered by the kid from the nearby Private School; the only Private School kid even close to being on this list.

ElonFirefighter
November 21st, 2022, 04:47 PM
Sez the zit-faced nerd who’s only even been able to borrow his Uncle Rico’s car 3 times in over 20 years, drove to the dance, and got his a$$ whipped before he could even get out of that Gremlin, just for daring to show up, with one of those a$$-whoopins administered by the kid from the nearby Private School; the only Private School kid even close to being on this list.

:Dxdrunkyx

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2022, 07:00 PM

Uncle Rico lmao

I use that name a lot in fantasy ⚾️

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 07:27 PM
Uncle Rico lmao

I use that name a lot in fantasy ⚾️
Well, he could throw the pigskin a quarter mile, back in ‘82.

SCPALADIN
November 21st, 2022, 08:55 PM

If his coach would've put him in 4th quarter, they would've been state champions. No doubt.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2022, 08:15 AM

keep talkin

gofurman
November 22nd, 2022, 10:07 AM

THat is funny sh** .. LOL, just as fun smack, that's funny.

Is Furman still the ONLY Private school to win the national title ? I am really asking.

gofurman
November 22nd, 2022, 10:12 AM
Anyway, I think Elon will get their yards through the air. Woff had 400 yds through the air and less than 50 on the ground. I wish Elon would run every play. Hope they run more than they pass - I know they usually do. Furman has been susceptible to deep passes and QB runs if I was to pick two things. Two things which Elon does. On th eother hand, Elon would rather run on more plays than they pass and Furman can generally stop the run. I think Mercer came in averaging 5 yards per carry and had less than 2 ypc vs Furman. Furman's goal is often to make you one dimensional (stop the run, so now you are going to pass) and then be able to focus on the pass. We are definitely better at stopping the run than the pass

Offensively I think Elon may pass a little better and Furman may run a little better.

deez_na
November 22nd, 2022, 10:17 AM
Cool.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense, lol. Comparing the top ranked and seeded teams to a first round matchup? Come on, man.

SCPALADIN
November 22nd, 2022, 10:19 AM

Is Furman still the ONLY Private school to win the national title ? I am really asking.

No.
Richmond and Villanova. Furman was the first.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2022, 10:35 AM

Nah - Richmond 2008 and Villanova 2009 are the others.

Colgate played in the Natl Championship Game 2003 and was blown out by Delaware.

Think that’s it. Not sure.

Darn sure there’s only 1 private that has played in 3 Nat’l Championship games. Coulda/shoulda won all 3 - Damn you Tracy Ham and whichever GaSou Iggle hurt Louis Ivory’s knee in the SemiFinals … just Damn GaSou…that covers it!!

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2022, 10:52 AM
Yeah this makes a lot of sense, lol. Comparing the top ranked and seeded teams to a first round matchup? Come on, man.
What?

FUBeAR was advised by you or maybe it was one of your also pseudo-macho buffalo-breathed brethren that…

“you have to beat the best to be the best anyway”

If that phrase holds true and is truly applicable to ‘put down’ fans unhappy with a STUPID 1st round matchup that the lazy and stupid Committee Members shoved up their a$$, then it’s applicable across the board.

Point is…you are correct. It made no more sense to throw that dumba$$, go sit quietly in the corner BS “beat the best” line as a response justifying the Committee’s incompetence in Round 1 pairings than it does for any other situation.

Bottom line is the Committee didn’t do their job properly and you ****heads trying to act like it’s all just fine what they did to Furman AND to Elon…while you sit there all fat and happy with your highly debatable seed(s) is really just y’all being a bunch of horses a$$e$.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2022, 10:53 AM
What?

FUBeAR was advised by you or maybe it was one of your also pseudo-macho buffalo-breathed brethren that…

If that phrase holds true and is truly applicable to ‘put down’ fans unhappy with a STUPID 1st round matchup that the lazy and stupid Committee Members shoved up their a$$, then it’s applicable across the board.

Point is…you are correct. It made no more sense to throw that dumba$$, go sit quietly in the corner BS “beat the best” line as a response justifying the Committee’s incompetence in Round 1 pairings than it does for any other situation.

Bottom line is the Committee didn’t do their job properly and you ****heads trying to act like it’s all just fine what they did to Furman AND to Elon…while you sit there all fat and happy with your highly debatable seed(s) is really just being a bunch of horses a$$e$.
Boohoo.

If you don't like it, shut up and win.

whoanellie
November 22nd, 2022, 07:07 PM
What year was it when Furman went for 2 at the end of the game against AppSt. with a 1 point lead
only to have conversion intercepted and returned for a Touchdown or a 2 point return for the win?
somethings are just unforgettable.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2022, 08:00 PM
What year was it when Furman went for 2 at the end of the game against AppSt. with a 1 point lead
only to have conversion intercepted and returned for a Touchdown or a 2 point return for the win?
It was the one of the 20 years, in the 23 miserable years of trying, that e*Loan failed to make the FCS Playoffs once again. You can always remember it that way.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2022, 10:22 PM
2005 Semifinals.

What makes that one even better is App State went on to beat Northern Iowa in the Title Game. Furman literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and cost themselves a good shot at a Boat.

It also marks the most recent season of Furman being relevant outside of the SoCon.

FU_Paladin08
November 22nd, 2022, 10:32 PM
Nah, 2005 was when Ingle Martin slipped on the 1 yd line of a frozen end zone at App.

FUBeAR
November 22nd, 2022, 11:10 PM
Nah, 2005 was when Ingle Martin slipped on the 1 yd line of a frozen end zone at App.
C’mon FU_Paladin08, you’re gonna confuse these fElon peeps because 2005 was also another one of the 20 years, in the 23 miserable years of trying, that the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians have failed to make the FCS Playoffs. How can you expect them to keep all those different years of failure straight?

MTfan4life
November 23rd, 2022, 12:56 AM
2005 Semifinals.

What makes that one even better is App State went on to beat Northern Iowa in the Title Game. Furman literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and cost themselves a good shot at a Boat.

It also marks the most recent season of Furman being relevant outside of the SoCon.

The Miracle on the Mountain was absolutely not a playoff game. Also, it was absolutely an illegal forward pass, but that's neither here nor there.

gofurman
November 23rd, 2022, 01:21 AM
The Miracle on the Mountain was absolutely not a playoff game. Also, it was absolutely an illegal forward pass, but that's neither here nor there.

Montanafan you are correct.. that was NOT a playoff game. But we are dealing with JSUSoutherner here.

I am objective and having to learn that facts aren't that relevant to him. Let's deal in FACTS boys, FACTS !!! He is right that Furman had a good shot at a National Title in 2004 and 2005.

MTfan4life got it right. If you don't know you can use Google - never been easier to find data

gofurman
November 23rd, 2022, 01:26 AM
xnodx
2005 Semifinals.

It was in 2002 !!! NOT 2005. Good grief. Let's move on but stick with FACTS. Cool

And a Furman player -- the very QB who threw the pick is making $$$$$$$ WAY MORE than any App schmuck.

$$ talks. BS walks.

Napier ( the FU QB) is now head coach of Florida after Killing it in Louisiana. Making 7 MILLION a year. I will throw all the INTs you want for that kinda money !xnodx

Now THAT is success.
"Napier's salary is $7.1 million and increases by $100,000 each year. The compensation also includes common perks, such as the use of two luxury cars, a suite for football games and personal use of the University Athletic Association's jets.

PaladinNation
November 23rd, 2022, 05:44 AM
Anyways… moving on from our bat***** crazy past with Appy.

We need to circle Clay Hendrix's moves in the past several off-seasons rebuilding the Paladin staff.
Clay had to replace the OC, QB, TE, RB, OL, WR, LB, SAF, Special Teams.

We need to remember Furman is in the first year of implementing Justin Roper's offense/scheme. Add Furman brought in a new offensive line coach, and wide receivers coach this season.

And, what a job Tommy Spangler has done turning Furman's special teams into a weapon.

Furman has only nine SRs on the two-deep. A couple of them have already stated they will be back next season (Sochovoka), some new program offerings at Furman is a factor here.

Furman was able to redshirt most of the 2022 class-except for the impressive DB Caleb Williams.

My point, Furman should be a better team next season. Furman gets two offensive linemen back from injury that were competing for starting nods. As well as Jeremiah Jackson at DE. Jack Barton has performed so well we've forgotten—the defensive line shuffle Furman made when Jackson was injured. The DINS also caught a break not having to burn a year with QB Carson Jones.

I think we're seeing the start of Furman becoming a player in the national FCS picture for several years to come.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2022, 08:10 AM
Montanafan you are correct.. that was NOT a playoff game. But we are dealing with JSUSoutherner here.

I am objective and having to learn that facts aren't that relevant to him. Let's deal in FACTS boys, FACTS !!! He is right that Furman had a good shot at a National Title in 2004 and 2005.

MTfan4life got it right. If you don't know you can use Google - never been easier to find data
Well I used Google to find the 2005 App State game. So sorry for getting it wrong. Sorry to offend that I confused a game that happened 20 years ago with one from 17 years ago.

Fun fact, I would have been in 2nd grade when y'all lost that game.

TribeNomad1
November 23rd, 2022, 08:43 AM
Well I used Google to find the 2005 App State game. So sorry for getting it wrong. Sorry to offend that I confused a game that happened 20 years ago with one from 17 years ago.

You are excused!!

MR. CHICKEN
November 23rd, 2022, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=JSUSoutherner;3096528]Well I used Google to find the 2005 App State game. So sorry for getting it wrong. Sorry to offend that I confused a game that happened 20 years ago with one from 17 years ago.

Fun fact, I would have been in 2nd grade when y'all lost that game.............COOD YOU.....TIE SHOES....BACK THEN................BRAWK??

ElonFirefighter
November 23rd, 2022, 10:42 AM

See that the problem with you young whippersnappers using you dangflab tech crap. xsmiley_wix Make me feel old I was Junior(College)..... which will make other posters here feel old.

TribeNomad1
November 23rd, 2022, 10:43 AM
See that the problem with you young whippersnappers using you dangflab tech crap. xsmiley_wix Make me feel old I was Junior(College)..... which will make other posters here feel old.

Yep, even older.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2022, 11:54 AM
COOD YOU.....TIE SHOES....BACK THEN................BRAWK??

Probably. Pretty sure I had some dope light up Skechers.

Catbooster
November 23rd, 2022, 12:01 PM
Anyways… moving on from our bat***** crazy past with Appy.

We need to circle Clay Hendrix's moves in the past several off-seasons rebuilding the Paladin staff.
Clay had to replace the OC, QB, TE, RB, OL, WR, LB, SAF, Special Teams.

We need to remember Furman is in the first year of implementing Justin Roper's offense/scheme. Add Furman brought in a new offensive line coach, and wide receivers coach this season.

And, what a job Tommy Spangler has done turning Furman's special teams into a weapon.

Furman has only nine SRs on the two-deep. A couple of them have already stated they will be back next season (Sochovoka), some new program offerings at Furman is a factor here.

Furman was able to redshirt most of the 2022 class-except for the impressive DB Caleb Williams.

My point, Furman should be a better team next season. Furman gets two offensive linemen back from injury that were competing for starting nods. As well as Jeremiah Jackson at DE. Jack Barton has performed so well we've forgotten—the defensive line shuffle Furman made when Jackson was injured. The DINS also caught a break not having to burn a year with QB Carson Jones.

I think we're seeing the start of Furman becoming a player in the national FCS picture for several years to come.
I thought I recognized that name. Remember when he was the Griz QB.

ElonFirefighter
November 23rd, 2022, 12:03 PM
Probably. Pretty sure I had some dope light up Skechers.

Velcro???

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2022, 12:18 PM
Velcro???
Probably.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2022, 12:47 PM
I thought I recognized that name. Remember when he was the Griz QB.
…and quite a career as a 6’ 6” ‘Small’ Forward for the Griz Hoops squad…

Justin Roper
Hometown: Buford, GA
School: Montana (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/montana/)

Season
School
Conf
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
2P
2PA
2P%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

SOS

2009-10 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2010.html)
Montana (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/montana/2010.html)
Big Sky (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/2010.html)

Career
Montana

gofurman
November 23rd, 2022, 11:56 PM

just playin - but man if you used Google then how did you get it wrong?? xthumbsupx:D

just literally google "miracle on the mountain App State Furman". it will tell you the correct year. These days there is not much excuse for being incorrect. Unlike my days where "miracle on the mountain" was no where to be found - not even in the encyclopedia ! LOL at me. ya got to use them specifics ya know. Can't just throw any old algorithm out there like "Furman vs App playoffs". Nope - make it more specific and stuff

Aight' lets move on and try to use FACTS from now on. Nothing kills a good debate like facts !!!!!!!! lol

PaladinNation
November 24th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Justin Roper is one chill dude and a helluva OC/OB coach.
Furman's play calling has gone from predictable to multiple and at the same time very rational.

The interesting thing about Furman this season and it's offense, and I think this relates to Furman being underestimated. Furman strategically for several reasons has taken it's foot off the offensive-pedal in several games this season. Nursing Tyler Huff back to health Furman played four-corner offense in a string of mid-season games before taking the gloves off the offense against against the Mocs and the Bears.

Furman appears to be at full strength for this game-Devin Abrams is available. I'm excited to see a SoCon vs CAA matchup.

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2022, 07:18 AM
just playin - but man if you used Google then how did you get it wrong?? xthumbsupx:D

just literally google "miracle on the mountain App State Furman". it will tell you the correct year. These days there is not much excuse for being incorrect. Unlike my days where "miracle on the mountain" was no where to be found - not even in the encyclopedia ! LOL at me. ya got to use them specifics ya know. Can't just throw any old algorithm out there like "Furman vs App playoffs". Nope - make it more specific and stuff

Aight' lets move on and try to use FACTS from now on. Nothing kills a good debate like facts !!!!!!!! lol

....ONE THIN'....'BOUT UH COMPUTER......YA HALFTA BE JES' AS SMART.....TA USE IT.................................xnodx.........A WK!

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2022, 08:47 AM

I assumed it was a playoff game so I pulled up Furman Wikipedia, there's a section for playoff results, saw 2005 was a one score loss to App and didn't bother opening the games details up.

CockyGeek
November 24th, 2022, 09:21 AM
#$&+ Furman and their extra second. Furman wins this one in a blowout though.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2022, 12:35 PM
#$&+ Furman and their extra second. Furman wins this one in a blowout though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

Chalupa Batman
November 24th, 2022, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

Some of the comments on that video are......interesting.

It sure liked that 3rd down play was a fumble and not a pass, if I was JSU I would've been more angry about that being ruled a pass than the time that got added back to the clock.

gofurman
November 25th, 2022, 09:29 PM
Anyway, and sandbagging aside, I think both of these teams acquitted themselves well in regular season and the winner should be proud and the loser has nothing to be ashamed of. I mean that. As AGS pollsters themselves reflected, these are both two very good teams.

A blowout 17 + either way would surprise me.

FCS fan man
November 26th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Time to get the playoff party started

ncspiderfan
November 26th, 2022, 10:48 AM

Pulling for all conference mates hard today. GL to Phoenix
I believe the winner of this game has a great chance next week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 11:46 AM
Furman looks really good....

Utgrizfan
November 26th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Furmans Defense outside of 1 good scramble by Elons QB looking awesome.

WrenFGun
November 26th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Elon has now given away six free points. Deserve to lose.

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Nice drive by Elon but stupid play on 4th down, just take the points and be down one score… Dumb Dumb

crusader11
November 26th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Nice drive by Elon but stupid play on 4th down, just take the points and be down one score… Dumb Dumb

Yeah, if you're going to go for it, just run a play with your offense. The fake didn't fool anyone.

That poor kicker got BLOWN up.

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Yeah, if you're going to go for it, just run a play with your offense. The fake didn't fool anyone.

That poor kicker got BLOWN up.
A good point as well, now they get the ball back with 2.5 min to play down 11 instead of one score……

ncspiderfan
November 26th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Yeah when you have the all conference kicker and do not allow him to get points for you, does not seem bright from my cheap seat.

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Wow what a beautiful punt!

Terrierific
November 26th, 2022, 12:29 PM
You have to be an idiot to line up in the pistol backed up at your own goal line.

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 12:31 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1596572106128498689

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 12:52 PM
Whatever "Big Din Energy" is....I support it....

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Refs only thing keeping Eloan in this game

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Refs only thing keeping Eloan in this game

can’t forget elons stupid decision making. Furans definitely playing a better game though!

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 01:28 PM
What league are these atrocious officials from?

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1596587386539892736

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Impressive FG there, but I might have gone for it there. Still need 2 scores and a 2-point conversion

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Wow what a DUMB penalty.

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 01:57 PM
https://media.tenor.com/6541Ti6-auoAAAAd/easy-win-roblox.gif

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Really impressive drive here from Furman sucking all the life out of Elon.

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Furman looked very good today. Elon was able to hang around but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

FUGameBreaker
November 26th, 2022, 02:20 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1596599466911465472

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 02:25 PM
Super impressed with Furman! I picked Elon...big swing and a miss....

gofurman
November 26th, 2022, 02:36 PM
6 points for the vaunted CAA. Whatever. Furman first stopped the run with our DL. then Elon became one dimensional. Exactly what we did al year. Stop run first. Furman DL > Elon OL. Furman OL > Elon DL. it’s that simple

How is that from a 5 bid conference and SoCon gets 2? Please. I’ve watched SoCon. It was tougher than that. . 31-6 is a whoopin.

Basically OL and DL is better at Furman than Elon

That said, Elon is a good team and good season

deez_na
November 26th, 2022, 02:48 PM
What?

Bottom line is the Committee didn’t do their job properly and you ****heads trying to act like it’s all just fine what they did to Furman AND to Elon…while you sit there all fat and happy with your highly debatable seed(s) is really just y’all being a bunch of horses a$$e$.

Im not sure who said what but it wasn’t me. I do find it entertaining when he was trying to hard to call out NDSU for being seeded and not them.

Prime Power
November 26th, 2022, 03:05 PM
What?

Kinda looks like the committee did a good job, obviously Furman is much better team than Elon and whooped their butts....

MUMD
November 26th, 2022, 03:11 PM
6 points for the vaunted CAA. Whatever. Furman first stopped the run with our DL. then Elon became one dimensional. Exactly what we did al year. Stop run first. Furman DL > Elon OL. Furman OL > Elon DL. it’s that simple

How is that from a 5 bid conference and SoCon gets 2? Please. I’ve watched SoCon. It was tougher than that. . 31-6 is a whoopin.

Basically OL and DL is better at Furman than Elon

That said, Elon is a good team and good season

ELoan's worst loss of the year by a long shot. Vandy only beat them by 11. Good job FU representing the SoCon! I expect the conference to be 3-0 in the playoffs after next week. Maybe this will show everyone the SoCon is a 3-4 bid conference once again.

Pards Rule
November 26th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Congrats Furman on the win

OrangeAndBlack
November 26th, 2022, 03:40 PM
Great job Furman! Dominant!!

PaladinNation
November 26th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Furman's defense is a blue-collar D, not many if any superstars.
The Furman D has obviously learned from the Samford meltdown after adversity.
We'll have our hands full next Saturday.

Offensively Furman had some uncharacteristic drops on short passes.
Some of that was Huff was off a bit in the short game.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Furman looked good today. Should be a nice game v. Holy Cross.

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 04:01 PM

That would be a good game, but Furman is going to San Antonio next weekend.

grizband
November 26th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Furman plays Incarnate Word next weekend.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2022, 04:03 PM
That would be a good game, but Furman is going to San Antonio next weekend.

Ah. My bad. That might not be such a close game.

Chalupa Batman
November 26th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Ah. My bad. That might not be such a close game.

I expect that will be a good game too. Furman is a very good team.

gofurman
November 26th, 2022, 11:04 PM
I expect that will be a good game too. Furman is a very good team.

Thanks Chalupa. You are a good man xnodx. I want to first congratulate Elon on a great season! 8-3 in CAA and postseason. Good stuff. I really mean that! This season should help them recruit vs other NC teams...

I also want to say that regardless next week I think Furman has more than proven itself. 9-2 in SoCon (losing only to Samford as FCS and that without our starting QB) and then winning a first round game in STRONG fashion. I woulda taken a one point win .. I was almost convinced we were gonna lose with the former NC State starter and Montana State starter at Elon (23 years old !!!). It's hard to get to a guy who has seen that many coverages and defenses. And, to his credit, he did not throw a pick vs a defense that has had a lot of them at Furman. However he went 20 / 40 for 238 (which is decent for sure) but no TDs no INTs. Some nice long completions but no TDs. Everything between the 20s basically. A lot of that was due to 3 or 4 sacks and a lot of pressure.
The key, though, was our run D which has been pretty awesome all year. Elon stud has 1,000+ yards coming in, and averaging 4.7 yards per carry. 10 rushes for 30 yards today. They essentially gave up on it at some point. The QB burned us some with runs - break contain and I admit it has been a slight weakness all year for Furman containing running QBs in general... All that said for a team in Elon that wants to run first and throw second they got 77 yards on 28 carries for 2.8 yards per carry.. and no TDs
Furman ran 46 times for 251 yards for 5.5 yards per carry and 3 TDs.

Furman won in the trenches. We could run, they could not and so they were limited to being one dimensional ...

Here was stat I had not considered - that was Elon's biggest margin of defeat all year including Vanderbilt (yeah they ain't great but still have 85 scholarships and beat 2 bowl bound SEC teams in Florida and Kentucky !) .. Vandy beat Elon 42 - 31. Furman beat Elon 31 - 6. The defense was outstanding.

Next week is next week - and we may get blown out as we are much better at stopping the run than the pass and I think UIW throws all over the place... but I think Elon had a great season and that Furman has already had a wonderful season. I do hope the committee (hopeless I know) notices the SoCon beating of the CAA and maybe gives us 3 bids next year instead of 2 for SoCon and 5 for CAA. But some of that (I am objective) was our own fault. If Mercer scores to win vs Samford OR - this was the real killer - Chatt just beats Western Carolina then they woulda been selected.

Hope all teams are healthy and ready for some great second round matchups !!

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2022, 01:24 AM
Kinda looks like the committee did a good job, obviously Furman is much better team than Elon and whooped their butts....Is the NDSU AD on the Committee your brother-in-law or something?

Furman whippin’ e*Loan’s a$$ doesn’t validate anything the Committee did, other than, surprisingly, not snubbing (then) 9-2 Furman with no at-large bid. FUBeAR is sure that was considered…y’know … ‘if we snub Furman, because, of course, the SoCon is (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) only a 1 bid league, that gives us room for another MVFC Team…”

* Samford should have been a Top 4 Seed
* Furman should have been Seeded
* Mercer should have received an At-Large bid
* Chattanooga should have received an At-Large bid

Fix these 4 injustices and FUBeAR will consider saying something not too negative about the Committee. Until then…

#DefundTheCommittee

The Cats
November 27th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Thanks Chalupa. You are a good man xnodx. I want to first congratulate Elon on a great season! 8-3 in CAA and postseason. Good stuff. I really mean that! This season should help them recruit vs other NC teams...

I also want to say that regardless next week I think Furman has more than proven itself. 9-2 in SoCon (losing only to Samford as FCS and that without our starting QB) and then winning a first round game in STRONG fashion. I woulda taken a one point win .. I was almost convinced we were gonna lose with the former NC State starter and Montana State starter at Elon (23 years old !!!). It's hard to get to a guy who has seen that many coverages and defenses. And, to his credit, he did not throw a pick vs a defense that has had a lot of them at Furman. However he went 20 / 40 for 238 (which is decent for sure) but no TDs no INTs. Some nice long completions but no TDs. Everything between the 20s basically. A lot of that was due to 3 or 4 sacks and a lot of pressure.
The key, though, was our run D which has been pretty awesome all year. Elon stud has 1,000+ yards coming in, and averaging 4.7 yards per carry. 10 rushes for 30 yards today. They essentially gave up on it at some point. The QB burned us some with runs - break contain and I admit it has been a slight weakness all year for Furman containing running QBs in general... All that said for a team in Elon that wants to run first and throw second they got 77 yards on 28 carries for 2.8 yards per carry.. and no TDs
Furman ran 46 times for 251 yards for 5.5 yards per carry and 3 TDs.

Furman won in the trenches. We could run, they could not and so they were limited to being one dimensional ...

Here was stat I had not considered - that was Elon's biggest margin of defeat all year including Vanderbilt (yeah they ain't great but still have 85 scholarships and beat 2 bowl bound SEC teams in Florida and Kentucky !) .. Vandy beat Elon 42 - 31. Furman beat Elon 31 - 6. The defense was outstanding.

Next week is next week - and we may get blown out as we are much better at stopping the run than the pass and I think UIW throws all over the place... but I think Elon had a great season and that Furman has already had a wonderful season. I do hope the committee (hopeless I know) notices the SoCon beating of the CAA and maybe gives us 3 bids next year instead of 2 for SoCon and 5 for CAA. But some of that (I am objective) was our own fault. If Mercer scores to win vs Samford OR - this was the real killer - Chatt just beats Western Carolina then they woulda been selected.

Hope all teams are healthy and ready for some great second round matchups !!

Hopefully you realize that IF "Chatt" COULD have "just" beat WCU, they certainly would have done so.

I guess your memory is so short you forgot that Furman only beat WCU by 7 points, and Western's 4th quarter rally only came up 5 yards short of tying the game ("On the game's final play, Gonzales again found Lee, but he was dropped at the five-yard line, securing the win for the Paladins."). Western Carolina's 20 point fourth-quarter were more than Furman had allowed all-season long collectively as Furman entered the day outscoring its opposition 31-0 in the final quarter.

It's time to give Western just a smidgeon of respect...

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Gotta give Furman credit for the dominating win over Jekyl and Elon. a team nobody can figure out

Game was over by the second Quarter

The Cats
November 27th, 2022, 10:51 AM
* Samford should have been a Top 4 Seed
* Furman should have been Seeded
* Mercer should have received an At-Large bid
* Chattanooga should have received an At-Large bid

Fix these 4 injustices and FUBeAR will consider saying something not too negative about the Committee. Until then…

#DefundTheCommittee

I agree with the above, even if it did come from Fubear...

Sitting Bull
November 27th, 2022, 12:17 PM
I agree with the above, even if it did come from Fubear...

When you look at the attendance numbers from yesterday, some of these decisions and brackets make more sense.

gofurman
December 4th, 2022, 09:35 PM

Wanted to come back and say good season to Elon. Good CAA season etc. Hope yall keep it up !!!!