PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Playoffs Round 1: Gardner-Webb @ Eastern Kentucky

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Game kicks off at 5PM ET on Saturday 11/26 and will be streamable on ESPN+. Here's how they break down statistically (the number in parentheses is each team's FCS rank in that particular category).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52512743604_b24b89aee7_z.jpg

Winner moves on to face #5 William & Mary.

The Cats
November 20th, 2022, 01:00 PM
Eastern Kentucky wins

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Gardner-Webb is a very good 6-5 team, not real sold on EKU. Picking Gardner-Webb to win this.

Libertine
November 20th, 2022, 01:05 PM
This one is going to be wild. Lots of points, lots of penalties, some massive defensive lapses and inexplicable turnovers. The other FCS fanbases will watch this game and shake their heads in disgust that is an actual playoff game while W&M's will simply nod and start making travel plans for Bozeman.

Tribal
November 20th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Weird, but I think I want EKU because of their rushing D. Hope this game goes to 7OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2022, 01:53 PM
EKU wins IMO.

EKU05
November 20th, 2022, 02:16 PM
Gardner-Webb is a very good 6-5 team, not real sold on EKU. Picking Gardner-Webb to win this.

I should probably be "offended" by this, but we've been inconsistent. We can put up points, but our D has good and bad weeks. If our D is no we probably win, but if they're not we could easily lose by fourteen.

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2022, 03:02 PM
EKU is the pick but Bill and Mary will be smiling.

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2022, 03:21 AM

This. Gardner-Webb has one bad game this season. A blowout loss to Mercer. Outside of that, their other four losses are a narrow loss to Elon, a last second loss to 9-1 FBS Coastal Carolina, a one point loss to 8-3 FBS Liberty, and a 21 point loss to FBS Marshall. Since then they've rattled off games with Bailey Fisher destroying teams through the air. NC A&T kept Fisher at bay, so they just dominated on the ground instead. Their defense isn't anything to write home about, but neither is EKU's. This should be a shootout featuring two very talented QBs. Eastern Kentucky has played pretty good down the stretch, too, though. I'll go with them being at home, but I'd be very surprised if Gardner-Webb gets rolled the same way Davidson surely will be.

OhioHen
November 21st, 2022, 07:36 AM
The loss to Mercer in FUBeAR's BBQ Bowl concerns me but I'll stick with my current home state in this one. G-W in a slugfest.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2022, 08:38 AM
The loss to Mercer in FUBeAR's BBQ Bowl concerns me but I'll stick with my current home state in this one. G-W in a slugfest.
BBQ Bowl was Gardner-Webb @ Campbell. They ain’t got no good Eastern NC BBQ in Maconga.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2022, 09:00 AM
This one is going to be wild. Lots of points, lots of penalties, some massive defensive lapses and inexplicable turnovers. The other FCS fanbases will watch this game and shake their heads in disgust that is an actual playoff game while W&M's will simply nod and start making travel plans for Bozeman.

haha this is the perfect analysis

Sitting Bull
November 21st, 2022, 01:08 PM
haha this is the perfect analysis

I don’t feel that confident. I didn’t know much about either team though looking at their season schedule, pretty impressive. Particularly G-W. They both played two FBS games and were competitive in all four.

Sitting Bull
November 21st, 2022, 01:11 PM
I don’t feel that confident. I didn’t know much about either team though looking at their season schedule, pretty impressive. Particularly G-W. They both played two FBS games and were competitive in all four.

Check that! Gardner-Webb played THREE FBS opponents. That has to be the most of any FCS team this year.

Granted all 3 were G5 - that’s still a stretch.

Sitting Bull
November 26th, 2022, 08:34 AM
Massey picks EKU 35-31

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Both of these cupcakes brought the defensive effort in this one......G-W up 21-14 on EKU at the end of the 1st quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 04:56 PM
The defense in this game is even worse than Fordham-UNH. This is ridiculous...lol

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2022, 04:59 PM
EKU is 10-ply

skinny_uncle
November 26th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Defense optional.

grizband
November 26th, 2022, 05:39 PM
31-27 with :14 left in the first half.

FCS playoffs: Defense not required

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Seems like this first half lasted 1/2 the day. This game really has the "field filler" feel.....

Tribal
November 26th, 2022, 05:46 PM
C’mon EKU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 06:19 PM
GWU looks like they might win this one going away....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 06:36 PM
The Bulldogs are rolling...

52-27 1:15 3Q

EKU looks completely outclassed....

OrangeAndBlack
November 26th, 2022, 06:38 PM
Everyone laughed when we said mercers rout of G-Webb was a quality win. The running bulldogs are putting on a show! Love to see it.

WileECoyote06
November 26th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Everyone laughed when we said mercers rout of G-Webb was a quality win. The running bulldogs are putting on a show! Love to see it.

I thought that win would get you all the nod.

kdinva
November 26th, 2022, 07:28 PM
very impressive effort by G-Webb, congrats.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2022, 07:30 PM
GWU has really good team speed. I'm interested to see how they adjust to much better competition in the next round....

Tribal
November 26th, 2022, 07:31 PM
EKU fielded an awful run D. G-W rushed for 54 on Elon and allowed over 250. I hope W&M, at minimum, will match those stats.

Schism55
November 26th, 2022, 07:38 PM
I quite enjoyed this game. GW has juice on offense. The D, well. Be interesting to see if their D can keep them in the next game against a much better opponent.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2022, 07:42 PM
EKU fielded an awful run D. G-W rushed for 54 on Elon and allowed over 250. I hope W&M, at minimum, will match those stats.

Might as well play the game in Spain because it’s gonna be the running of the bulls

Libertine
November 26th, 2022, 09:58 PM

Just going to leave this here.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2022, 01:44 AM
You mean this completely dominating win by Mercer over a Conference Champion & 2nd Round (at worst) Playoff Team?

MERCER -VS- GARDNER-WEBB

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Mercer

Gardner-Webb

…yeah. Congrats to Coach Lamb and the several other former Mercer Bears in Boiling Springs!

BEAT BILL & THE BEEYATCH!!

#DefundTheCommittee

EKU05
November 27th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Just going to leave this here.

There was officially only one turnover in the game which was an interception thrown by EKU in the end zone. There was a second "turnover" with an interception on an attempted two-point conversion. There were also a grand total of 65 yards in penalties for both teams combined. No doubt that the EKU offense was beyond terrible, but give GWU some credit for some nice halftime adjustments.

So that prediction basically was right in that two teams with top 30 offenses will score a lot...wow...psychic.

To recap, you listed four things in your second sentence:

-The first was spot on.
-The second was pretty off-target.
-The third was mostly right, but GWU got much better in the second half. We couldn't move the ball in 3Q, and it wasn't because our offense got worse.
-The fourth was wildly incorrect. Perhaps the least turnovers of any game? I haven't checked but it seems probable.

Gardner-Webb is a good team, and that offense will give anyone at least a little trouble (especially us, because our defense is a joke).

The Cats
November 27th, 2022, 01:03 PM
Eastern Kentucky wins

That didn't age well..