View Full Version : Top 8 Seeding - Plead Your Team’s Case

WMTribe90
November 19th, 2022, 06:51 PM
I’ve ignored William & Mary's national ranking up to this point. We’ve been building to this year, but needed to earn the respect. Took a closer look today however and I think W&M should jump some teams after today’s win at Richmond.

Weber State is 9-2 with no bad losses, but one of their wins is a DII win. I know the Big Sky is tough, but I’d take WM's 10-1 all DI schedule over Weber's 8-2 against DI opponents. Both teams have an FBS win and no bad losses.

Incarnate Word appears to be ranked high based primarily on being undefeated. But, upon closer inspection, two of their wins are against DII opponents. They do have an FBS win over Nevada to their credit. None of their FCS wins have come against opponents currently ranked in the top 25. FBS wins cancel out and you’re left with WM’s 9-1 FCS record with at least one top 25 win vs UIW’s 8-0 FCS record with no top 25 wins. Advantage Tribe.

Holy Cross is also undefeated and has an FBS win over Buffalo. This one is closer. Both teams have one current (guaranteed) top 25 win (UR vs Fordham), which is slight advantage Tribe. WM may have 1 or 2 more top 25 wins depending on where UD and URI land in the final rankings. However, I think the bottom half of the respective schedules is where WM gets some separation. WM didn’t play any opponents as poor as Bucknell or Georgetown. I would take Campbell, Hampton, and Lafayette for strength of schedule over those programs.

So, there you have it. I will be disappointed if WM doesn’t jump 3 spots to finish 5 in the final regular season poll and I think WM should be the 5 seed in the playoffs.

Tell me I’m wrong or make a case for your team to be seeded.

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2022, 06:54 PM
I’ve ignored William & Mary's national ranking up to this point. We’ve been building to this year, but needed to earn the respect. Took a closer look today however and I think W&M should jump some teams after today’s win at Richmond.

Weber State is 9-2 with no bad losses, but one of their wins is a DII win. They didn’t play an FBS. I know the Big Sky is tough, but I’d take WM's 10-1 all DI schedule with an FBS win over Weber's 8-2 against DI opponents with no FBS win.

Incarnate Word appears to be ranked high based primarily on being undefeated. But, upon closer inspection, two of their wins are against DII opponents. They do have an FBS win over Nevada to their credit. None of their FCS wins have come against opponents currently ranked in the top 25. FBS wins cancel out and you’re left with WM’s 9-1 FCS record with at least one top 25 win vs UIW’s 8-0 FCS record with no top 25 wins. Advantage Tribe.

Holy Cross is also undefeated and has an FBS win over Buffalo. This one is closer. Both teams have one current (guaranteed) top 25 win (UR vs Fordham), which is slight advantage Tribe. WM may have 1 or 2 more top 25 wins depending on where UD and URI land in the final rankings. However, I think the bottom half of the respective schedules is where WM gets some separation. WM didn’t play any opponents as poor as Bucknell or Georgetown. I would take Campbell, Hampton, and Lafayette for strength of schedule over those programs.

So, there you have it. I will be disappointed if WM doesn’t jump 3 spots to finish 5 in the final regular season poll and I think WM should be the 5 seed in the playoffs.

Tell me I’m wrong or make a case for your team to be seeded.
Weber State crushed Utah State 35-7. That's a pretty good FBS win.

WMTribe90
November 19th, 2022, 06:57 PM
Weber State crushed Utah State 35-7. That's a pretty good FBS win.

Thanks, I missed that somehow. Made the correction. Still think WM has a slight edge. And top CAA team (no offense to UNH as co-champs) should be seeded above #3 Big Sky team.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 07:02 PM
1.) SDSU
2.) Sac State
3.) Montana State
4.) NDSU
5.) Samford
6.) W&M
7.) HC
8.) UIW

Boooooook it.

POD Knows
November 19th, 2022, 07:05 PM
1.) SDSU
2.) Sac State
3.) Montana State
4.) NDSU
5.) Samford
6.) W&M
7.) HC
8.) UIW

Boooooook it.
Sac State SDSU should be flipped maybe but I could see the committee doing it for regionalization and travel

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Sac State SDSU should be flipped maybe but I could see the committee doing it for regionalization and travel
That was the only reason I didn't. If I put Sac at one NDSU has to jump Montana State

Should that be the way it is? No. But welcome to the FCS playoff selection.

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 07:08 PM
While highly ranked in the polls, I think Weber will be the first or second team out of a seed.

WMTribe90
November 19th, 2022, 07:16 PM
1.) SDSU
2.) Sac State
3.) Montana State
4.) NDSU
5.) Samford
6.) W&M
7.) HC
8.) UIW

Boooooook it.

Seems reasonable enough to me. I could argue for switching Samford and WM.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Samford has a better claim to the #1 Seed than any other FCS Team other than, maybe, SacState.

Not gonna waste time justifying it. Y’all can read.

Committee will slot then somewhere 5-8.

Triple-rigged FCS Playoff system…locked in.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2022, 07:19 PM
1.) SDSU
2.) Sac State
3.) Montana State
4.) NDSU
5.) Samford
6.) W&M
7.) HC
8.) UIW

Boooooook it.

Think this is pretty good. The first 7 seem like very good bets to be seeds. Give me Furman as the 8 seed over UIW.

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 07:26 PM
Samford has a better claim to the #1 Seed than any other FCS Team other than, maybe, SacState.

Samford should go out and prove it. There’s a chance they are #5 and will go to Fargo, perfect game for Samford to prove how good they are.

katss07
November 19th, 2022, 07:26 PM
The Word ain’t undefeated. They lost to Southland Champion Southeastern Louisiana (abbreviated SELA).

mmiller_34
November 19th, 2022, 07:27 PM
1. Sac State
2. Montana State
3. SDSU
4. NDSU
5. W & M
6. Samford
7. UIW
8. HC

UND doesn’t get in. Valley with just 2 teams.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2022, 07:27 PM
Samford should go out and prove it. There’s a chance they are #5 and will go to Fargo, perfect game for Samford to prove how good they are.

Not how seeds should work, though. Samford's resume is way better than NDSU's.

- - - Updated - - -

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 07:28 PM

If SoCon teams aren't seeded 1, 2, 6 & 8 then the whole playoff system is a sham.

crusader11
November 19th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Samford should be seeded above NDSU.

UIW doesn’t deserve a seed.

HC is worthy of a seed, but not higher than 8.

These are things I know to be true.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 07:35 PM
Samford is 10-0 in FCS and has only lost to FBS #1 - FU with your ‘prove it’ ish. They’ve proved it more than SDSU or NDSU in 2022…y’know…THIS Season.

SDSU lost to a random unranked FBS and NDSU lost to another random unranked FBS and and an FCS Team.

Y’all come on down to B’Ham. It’s beautiful this time of year.

Oh wait … Committee is hook, line, and sinker bought into this circular logic BS… so, you’re right… SoCon will get triple screwed again.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 07:38 PM
If SoCon teams aren't seeded 1, 2, 6 & 8 then the whole playoff system is a sham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtolv9kM1qk

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 07:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtolv9kM1qk

Chattanooga would've been #3 but they played themselves down to an 8 seed today

atthewbon
November 19th, 2022, 07:48 PM
This is what I think the committee will do. I could see Holy Cross fall to the 8 but would be shocked if they are not seeded.

1. Sac St. / SDSU
2. Sac St. / SDSU
3. Montana St
4. Samford / NDSU
5. Samford / NDSU
6. Holy Cross / William & Mary
7. Holy Cross / William & Mary
8. Weber st. / UIW

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Samford is 10-0 in FCS and has only lost to FBS #1 - FU with your ‘prove it’ ish. They’ve proved it more than SDSU or NDSU in 2022…y’know…THIS Season.

SDSU lost to a random unranked FBS and NDSU lost to another random unranked FBS and and an FCS Team.

Y’all come on down to B’Ham. It’s beautiful this time of year.

Oh wait … Committee is hook, line, and sinker bought into this circular logic BS… so, you’re right… SoCon will get triple screwed again.
SDSU beat #1 NDSU, which is far far better than any win Samford has. As for the Samford’s Georgia loss, it was 33-0 and it wasn’t even as close as the score indicated, can’t exactly use that for bragging, whereas SDSU lost by 4 to the soon to be Big Ten West champion. Debate it however you want, Samford’s resume is no better than the top 4. If they want to prove me wrong, they can go out and win.

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 07:58 PM
SDSU beat #1 NDSU, which is far far better than any win Samford has. As for the Samford’s Georgia loss, it was 33-0 and it wasn’t even as close as the score indicated, can’t exactly use that for bragging, whereas SDSU lost by 4 to the soon to be Big Ten West champion. Debate it however you want, Samford’s resume is no better than the top 4. If they want to prove me wrong, they can go out and win.

Don't even bother. Stepping on the same field as Georgia, no matter how BAD you did against them, trumps anything any other team can put on their resumes.

dewey
November 19th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Don't even bother. Stepping on the same field as Georgia, no matter how BAD you did against them, trumps anything any other team can put on their resumes.

Plus the Southern conference is the best conference in the country. Mercer, Chattanooga and Samford will be the top 3 seeds for the playoffs. Nevermind the fact that the Southern conference has been irrelevant the past decade or so.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 08:00 PM
Plus the Southern conference is the best conference in the country. Mercer, Chattanooga and Samford will be the top 3 seeds for the playoffs. Nevermind the fact that the Southern conference has been irrelevant the past decade or so.

Dewey

How dare you leave out Furman!!!???

The Kicker
November 19th, 2022, 08:00 PM
1. SDSU
2. Sac St.
3. Montana St.
4. NDSU
5. W&M
6. Samford
7. Holy Cross
8. UIW

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 08:01 PM
SDSU beat #1 NDSU, which is far far better than any win Samford has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_e-RQZVwxg

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 08:03 PM
Guess we should give Austin Peay a seed for putting up such a brave and hard fought 34-0 loss against Bama today.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 08:06 PM
Guess we should give Austin Peay a seed for putting up such a brave and hard fought 34-0 loss against Bama today.
Better than losing to a random, unranked FBS like your bunnies did. Which MAC Team beat them again? All those unranked FBS Teams run together for FUBeAR

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2022, 08:07 PM

Honestly, given how bad the bubble burst today, I'd consider it a bit of a feather for Peay. They also now have a win over a team in the playoff field.

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2022, 08:10 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Must be that Kennesaw win.

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Better than losing to a random, unranked FBS like your bunnies did. Which MAC Team beat them again? All those unranked FBS Teams run together for FUBeAR
The soon to be Big Ten West champion. Congrats on Samford losing to Georgia, I’m sure they had Kirby Smart sweating the whole game.

katss07
November 19th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Honestly, given how bad the bubble burst today, I'd consider it a bit of a feather for Peay. They also now have a win over a team in the playoff field.
They may have two playoff-team wins if EKU gets the AQ.

Chalupa Batman
November 19th, 2022, 08:15 PM
They may have two playoff-team wins if EKU gets the AQ.

EKU would be their one win over a playoff team.

katss07
November 19th, 2022, 08:16 PM
EKU would be their one win over a playoff team.
I stand corrected, was thinking of EKU’s win over SEMO.

WAC/ASUN is a mess.

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 08:17 PM
The soon to be Big Ten West champion. Congrats on Samford losing to Georgia, I’m sure they had Kirby Smart sweating the whole game.
LOL - B1G West - WTF is that? Fodder for Michigan or the Buckeyes (who are fodder for SEC Teams)? Automatic berth to the Erectile Dysfunction Bowl in Natchitoches?

Random AF, Unranked AF

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 08:22 PM
LOL - B1G West - WTF is that? Fodder for Michigan or the Buckeyes? Automatic berth to the Erectile Dysfunction Bowl in Natchitoches?

Random AF, Unranked AF

Guess we’ll see how great the SoCon is this year in the playoffs. Maybe they can get a team into the quarterfinals who can put up a quality fight, unlike the past 10 years.

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 08:25 PM
Lehigh pleads insanity, Your Honor....

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2022, 08:25 PM
Guess we’ll see how great the SoCon is this year in the playoffs. Maybe they can get a team into the quarterfinals who can put up a quality fight, unlike the past 10 years.
No we won’t because the game is already triple rigged.

Congrats on the high seed that Samford more deserved & congrats on the cakewalk thru the 1st 3 rounds!

The Kicker
November 19th, 2022, 08:29 PM
LOL - B1G West - WTF is that? Fodder for Michigan or the Buckeyes (who are fodder for SEC Teams)? Automatic berth to the Erectile Dysfunction Bowl in Natchitoches?

Random AF, Unranked AF

Didn't the Mocs get destroyed by Illinois who is in the B1G West behind Iowa???

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 08:34 PM

Congrats on the high seed that Samford more deserved & congrats on the cakewalk thru the 1st 3 rounds!
We went unseeded last year and played on the road three straight games and won two of them before the fatigue of having played over 20 games in the span of one year caught up to us in Bozeman. If Samford is good they’ll be able to win on the road in the Quarters and Semis.

dewey
November 19th, 2022, 08:34 PM

But Jacksfan the system is rigged. I mean only 24 teams get in and the conference champion from the Southern conference doesn't get in.....oh wait. They do. Well there are never any at large teams from the Southern conference.....oh wait there is. Well it is unfortunate that the Southern conference teams don't receive a chance to win games at home or on the road and thus a national championship....oh wait they do but they aren't good enough to win those games.

Nevermind. It is a rigged system. Let me get more cheese and wine for a select few Southern conference fans.

Dewey

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 08:35 PM
Didn't the Mocs get destroyed by Illinois who is in the B1G West behind Iowa???
31-0 to be exact. To be fair, Illinois did beat Iowa 9-6, meaning Iowa would only be 28 point favorites over a Chattanooga team that Samford considers a high quality win.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 08:42 PM
As a fan of a team with more SoCon championships in the past 10 years than anyone in the SoCon....

The SoCon is trash.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2022, 08:54 PM

xboringx

It will not matter if NDSU is #4 or #5 and Samford is #4 or #5, NDSU will beat them down at home or away. Live with it....xlolx

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 08:57 PM
As a fan of a team with more SoCon championships in the past 10 years than anyone in the SoCon....

The SoCon is trash.

...and you're full of it. The same can be said of the team you are a fan of.... both of them!!!!

katss07
November 19th, 2022, 08:57 PM

The SoCon is trash.
Facts. If it wasn’t, JSU would’ve never made it out of the second round.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 08:59 PM
Facts. If it wasn’t, JSU would’ve never made it out of the second round.
FACTS.

The SoCon is just cannonfodder.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 09:01 PM
...and you're full of it. The same can be said of the team you are a fan of.... both of them!!!!
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the Furman fans bitching about disrespect.

The Cats
November 19th, 2022, 09:05 PM
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the Furman fans bitching about disrespect.

...and your band sucks too!!!!

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2022, 09:07 PM
...and your band sucks too!!!!
You don't have to be like that. I quite enjoyed my opportunities to see the POTM. I enjoyed competing there in high school.

Tribal
November 19th, 2022, 09:13 PM
W&M beat 3 teams who are now or were top 25 within the past week. Not many teams can say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncspiderfan
November 19th, 2022, 09:39 PM
W&M beat 3 teams who are now or were top 25 within the past week. Not many teams can say that.

Congrats on the conference championship and the Capital Cup, not to mention the auto bid.

Your guys also had an FBS win. After what I watched today, I believe the Tribe deserves a seed with a 10-1 record. The round robin that got played the last four weeks in the CAA top half, was brutal, especially when you throw Nova in the mix (they were not that bad, just not at their normal level).
If the committee sticks to the policy of not having teams replay each other in the first round and the four 8-3 and better teams all indeed make it, they should all be playing outside the conference at least in the first week. Only teams that have not played are Tribe and New Hampshire and I suspect Tribe will be seeded, so that knocks that match up out until at least week two.

Good luck in playoffs unless of course we catch you guys again in the later rounds.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2022, 09:43 PM
The seeds are tough this year - not a lot of upsets (kind of reminds me of 2016). I think the top 3 are pretty clear:

1. Sac St
2. SDSU
3. Montana St

4 and 5 could be these two in either order but I think NDSU's rep gives them the edge:

4. NDSU
5. Samford

Most years I think these teams would be seeded higher than 6-8 but not this year:

6. William & Mary
7. UIW
8. Holy Cross

Just on the outside looking in (and again would probably be seeded most years):

Weber St
Furman

Pretty big drop off after that... I'd say it's a safe bet no one outside of these 10 will be seeded.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2022, 09:49 PM
The seeds are tough this year - not a lot of upsets (kind of reminds me of 2016). I think the top 3 are pretty clear:

1. Sac St
2. SDSU
3. Montana St

4 and 5 could be these two in either order but I think NDSU's rep gives them the edge:

4. NDSU
5. Samford

Most years I think these teams would be seeded higher than 6-8 but not this year:

6. William & Mary
7. UIW
8. Holy Cross

Just on the outside looking in (and again would probably be seeded most years):

Weber St
Furman

Pretty big drop off after that... I'd say it's a safe bet no one outside of these 10 will be seeded.

If Samford even makes the quarters, NDSU beats them down!

JacksFan40
November 19th, 2022, 09:52 PM
If Samford even makes the quarters, NDSU beats them down!
Have you seen Samford’s resume? They only lost Georgia by 33! Bison are screwed.

SU DOG
November 19th, 2022, 10:01 PM
Please take note that there is NO Samford Fan on here talking trash. I'm just happy to see us get a seed whatever it turns out to be.

dewey
November 19th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Please take note that there is NO Samford Fan on here talking trash. I'm just happy to see us get a seed whatever it turns out to be.

Correct. A few Furman fans are constantly running their yaps.

Dewey

Sitting Bull
November 20th, 2022, 07:13 AM
1. SDSU
2. Sac St.
3. Montana St.
4. NDSU
5. W&M
6. Samford
7. Holy Cross
8. UIW

Looks good though flip ND State and W&M.

Regarding Samford, I respect the results. A good team that should be seeded. On the comparison to W&M, and knowing how the NCAA tries to maximize revenues, I think W&M might have the upper hand. We will sell more tickets in a quarter or semi than Samford.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2022, 08:17 AM
Sac St
SDSU
MSU
NDSU
Samford
W&M
HC
UIW

That ain't no guess, that's what it's gonna be!

POD Knows
November 20th, 2022, 08:20 AM
Sac St
SDSU
MSU
NDSU
Samford
W&M
HC
UIW

That ain't no guess, that's what it's gonna be!Yep, Gospel.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Yep, Gospel.

Haven't seen you all year, miss you bud. Hope all has been well though.

That end of the half drive had me in disbelief at how bad the defense can/will look against half competent teams.

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 08:36 AM
1. Sac State -undefeated and FBS win
2. SDSU - only a close FBS loss
3. Montana State - undefeated but fbs loss
4. Samford- undefeated but FBS loss
5. William and Mary- FBS win but one ranked FCS loss
6. NDSU - one FBS loss one ranked FCS loss
7. Holy Cross- undefeated but from a weak conference
8. Incarnate Word- FBS win but one FCS loss, not from a stronger conference than the others.

Daytripper
November 20th, 2022, 08:52 AM
8. Incarnate Word- FBS win but one FCS loss, not from a stronger conference than the others.

I like this one.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2022, 09:06 AM
I can see the argument for Samford over NDSU but not William & Mary. NDSU played a tougher schedule with the same record against FCS competition (9-1). You can say that W&M's top 2 wins (Charlotte and Richmond) are better than NDSU's top 2 (UND and YSU) but if you look down through them win by win NDSU has a better overall set of wins. Yes, W&M got an FBS win whereas NDSU didn't but NDSU played a much better FBS team and only lost by 3. The fact that W&M won their conference and NDSU didn't is a silly argument as well IMO - they both wen 7-1 in conference, NDSU just had a team in their conference that was good enough to go 8-0.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2022, 09:42 AM
Haven't seen you all year, miss you bud. Hope all has been well though.

That end of the half drive had me in disbelief at how bad the defense can/will look against half competent teams.Yea, that last 3 minutes of the half was classic, quick 3 and out, a 52 yard punt to pin them back and then they go 80 yards in a minute and fifty. Zero defense whatsoever. Our end of the game D has been bad, terrible end to the SIU game as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Yea, that last 3 minutes of the half was classic, quick 3 and out, a 52 yard punt to pin them back and then they go 80 yards in a minute and fifty. Zero defense whatsoever. Our end of the game D has been bad, terrible end to the SIU game as well.

Prevent defense and shell coverage is a mainstay for NDSU when ahead and it sucks. Then add in poor tackling and poor LB play and UND marched right down the field.

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 09:52 AM
I can see the argument for Samford over NDSU but not William & Mary. NDSU played a tougher schedule with the same record against FCS competition (9-1). You can say that W&M's top 2 wins (Charlotte and Richmond) are better than NDSU's top 2 (UND and YSU) but if you look down through them win by win NDSU has a better overall set of wins. Yes, W&M got an FBS win whereas NDSU didn't but NDSU played a much better FBS team and only lost by 3. The fact that W&M won their conference and NDSU didn't is a silly argument as well IMO - they both wen 7-1 in conference, NDSU just had a team in their conference that was good enough to go 8-0.

I disagree
OOC is a push, not really to be held for or against either team.
In conference
W&M went 5-1 vs 0.500 or better in conference teams only loss was to Elon who is a playoff team that includes potential playoff teams Richmond UD and URI (regardless how doubtful)
W&M went 2-0 vs teams under 0.500

NDSU went 3-1 vs teams 0.500 in conference includes playoff potential SDSU UND YSU
NDSU went 4-0 vs sub 0.500 teams including a winless team

Now for arguments sake chaos if you asked me if NDSU is better team overall than W&M I'd probably say yes but for the purpose of seeding I can see W&M getting the nod

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Good way to ensure Sac has an easy road to Frisco. SDSU, NDSU, and MSU all being on the same side of the bracket would be a travesty.

It should go like this.

1. Sac State
2. SDSU
3. Montana State
4. Samford (I’ll throw the SoCon a bone)
5. NDSU
6. Holy Cross
7. William & Mary
8. Incarnate Word

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 09:53 AM
I like this one.

Thanks brah, sad you guys wont be joining us again though!

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Good way to ensure Sac has an easy road to Frisco. SDSU, NDSU, and MSU all being on the same side of the bracket would be a travesty.

It should go like this.

1. Sac State
2. SDSU
3. Montana State
4. Samford (I’ll throw the SoCon a bone)
5. NDSU
6. Holy Cross
7. William & Mary
8. Incarnate Word

In reality and Honesty I wasn't think about sides of brackets lol only where I think teams should land, now that you obviously point it out, would be tough to put those 3 on the same side.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2022, 10:01 AM
I disagree
In conference
W&M went 5-1 vs 0.500 or better in conference teams only loss was to Elon who is a playoff team that includes potential playoff teams Richmond UD and URI (regardless how doubtful)

NDSU went 3-1 vs teams 0.500 in conference includes playoff potential SDSU UND YSU

Now for arguments sake chaos if you asked me if NDSU is better team overall than W&M I'd probably say yes but for the purpose of seeding I can see W&M getting the nod
You're treating the CAA and the MVFC as equal from top to bottom with that argument - I don't believe that they are and pretty much any computer ranking that rates entire conferences will back that up. To put it another way I think if a team like SIU played a CAA schedule they'd be a playoff team this year.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 10:03 AM
I like this one.

In the past, the committee has weighted being a “power conference” champ (auto bid) heavily. I think the 4-6 seedings could fall in any order between NDSU, WM and Samford. I think Samford could be ranked above W&M if the committee feels the SoCon is equal to or greater than the CAA. Does NDSU dynasty outweigh being a conference champ? We’ll find out soon.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2022, 10:05 AM
I disagree
In conference

OOC - NDSU did beat a better Big South Team, and beat them bad compared to Wm & Mary's Big South Win
Conference - NDSU lost to an undefeated conference team, Wm & Mary lost to a team with 2 losses in conference.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 10:09 AM

Samford and William & Mary didn’t have to play South Dakota State or Sac State. Are we considering this at all, or are we just counting wins? Looks like wins, until it is too obvious not to and would result in a loss of too much credibility. C’mon people, NDSU is 5 pt from an undefeated FCS (not just ranked, but #1 FCS team) and FBS season (P5 with win over #9-13 UCLA and allowing for Gameday in Montana, which was great). Please just stop with the “NDSU should be below” the teams you (and others) have mentioned. Am I NDSU biased, sure? Are others considering the things that go into the left or right columns for all of these teams. I am beginning to think “less and less”.

Sitting Bull
November 20th, 2022, 10:11 AM
You're treating the CAA and the MVFC as equal from top to bottom with that argument - I don't believe that they are and pretty much any computer ranking that rates entire conferences will back that up. To put it another way I think if a team like SIU played a CAA schedule they'd be a playoff team this year.

Sounds like 2009 when we were sent out to play 2 seed Southern Illinois and left with a 24-3 win. That was the last MV team we have played I think.

The MV may be better top to bottom? Don’t know. I think the CAA will have more teams in the playoffs than MV. But even if it is, getting two seeds before the CAA gets one is a stretch.

W&M was also 6-0 on the road. Our only loss was a Q4 meltdown vs Elon, also in the field, losing by 4 points. We led 31-16 into Q4.

On our FBS win at Charlotte, who ended 3-8 against FBS competition, we didn’t just win. We won by 17 points and ran out the clock inside their 5 yard line ending the game.

We will see but after we closed the season with wins over ranked opponents - URI, Villanova and Richmond - a 4 seed would certainly have been earned in my view.

wmmii
November 20th, 2022, 10:11 AM
1.) SDSU
2.) Sac State
3.) Montana State
4.) W&M
5.) Samford
6.) NDSU
7.) HC
8.) UIW

I can see flipping W&M and Samford. This sets up the best quarterfinal matches and avoid playing same conference teams until the Semi-finals.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 10:12 AM

I would also point out that WM didn’t play Albany (2-6), Maine (2-6), or Monmouth (3-5) in conference. WM also missed UNH, but on balance WM played one of the tougher in-conference schedules that included 6 of the top 7 finishers in the conference. Comparing conference computer rankings misses that distinction. The MVFC and CAA may not be equal top to bottom, but WM’s CAA schedule was above average in difficulty and equal to NDSU’s schedule IMO.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 10:19 AM
Samford and William & Mary didn’t have to play South Dakota State or Sac State. Are we considering this at all, or are we just counting wins? Looks like wins, until it is too obvious not to and would result in a loss of too much credibility. C’mon people, NDSU is 5 pt from an undefeated FCS (not just ranked, but #1 FCS team) and FBS season (P5 with win over #9-13 UCLA and allowing for Gameday in Montana, which was great). Please just stop with the “NDSU should be below” the teams you (and others) have mentioned. Am I NDSU biased, sure? Are others considering the things that go into the left or right columns for all of these teams. I am beginning to think “less and less”.

WM is also 5 points away from an undefeated season that includes an FBS win. Also, see my above post regarding the unbalanced scheduling in the CAA. If NDSU is ranked above WM I won’t come whining, but there’s a very legit case for the CAA #1 (one loss) to be ranked above the MVFC #2 (two loss).

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 10:31 AM
WM is also 5 points away from an undefeated season that includes an FBS win. Also, see my above post regarding the unbalanced scheduling in the CAA. If NDSU is ranked above WM I won’t come whining, but there’s a very legit case for the CAA #1 (one loss) to be ranked above the MVFC #2 (two loss).

They indeed are (win over non-P5 FBS that did not knock off a top 10 FBS team and a loss to a very good, but not #1/2 FCS team). This is what I mean about considering what went into the left and right columns, not entirely just the numbers in those columns. Congratulations on a great season, and I am looking forward to watching the Tribe in the playoffs.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2022, 10:33 AM

Does William & Mary beat SDSU and Arizona, probably not. Better chance NDSU beats Elon and Charlotte.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2022, 10:34 AM
I would also point out that WM didn’t play Albany (2-6), Maine (2-6), or Monmouth (3-5) in conference. WM also missed UNH, but on balance WM played one of the tougher in-conference schedules that included 6 of the top 7 finishers in the conference. Comparing conference computer rankings misses that distinction. The MVFC and CAA may not be equal top to bottom, but WM’s CAA schedule was above average in difficulty and equal to NDSU’s schedule IMO.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the SOS. Both Massey (NDSU: 20, W&M: 44) and Sagarin (NDSU: 154, W&M 202 - doesn't include yesterday's games yet) have SOS pretty clearly in NDSU's favor.

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 10:38 AM

Sorry but the 5 points away from a undefeated is horsecrap, you could say that about W&M, as they should have beaten elon but melted down. They won their conference NDSU didn't. They got an FBS win and NDSU didn't. They are both from strong conferences and went 7-1. All these well they "would do" is not what the committee is looking at.

ALL the NDSU fans getting riled over my reasoning that I could see NDSU at least not being the 4 seed.
You can all cry amongst all your championship trophies

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 10:39 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on the SOS. Both Massey (NDSU: 20, W&M: 44) and Sagarin (NDSU: 154, W&M 202 - doesn't include yesterday's games yet) have SOS pretty clearly in NDSU's favor.

See that's a legitimate point I can respect. How much stock the committee looks at that, we shall find out

POD Knows
November 20th, 2022, 10:43 AM
I am going to say this just to say it, CAA guys, none of you are JMU, just sayin'. Some real good teams in the CAA but there are levels. Maybe this year is the year somebody outside of JMU steps up from the conference

UNHWildcat18
November 20th, 2022, 10:45 AM
I am going to say this just to say it, CAA guys, none of you are JMU, just sayin'. Some real good teams in the CAA but there are levels. Maybe this year is the year somebody outside of JMU steps up from the conference

I don't think any CAA teams really think a team this year beats SDSU NDSU Sac State Montana State.... Please don't use there are levels...... I see that enough from the majority of UFC fandom being khabib and islam fans.

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Sorry but the 5 points away from a undefeated is horsecrap, you could say that about W&M, as they should have beaten elon but melted down. They won their conference NDSU didn't. They got an FBS win and NDSU didn't. They are both from strong conferences and went 7-1. All these well they "would do" is not what the committee is looking at.

ALL the NDSU fans getting riled over my reasoning that I could see NDSU at least not being the 4 seed.
You can all cry amongst all your championship trophies
W&M beat one of the worst FBS teams, it’s barely better than beating UMass. NDSU lost to a PAC-12 team by 3, who while not great this year, did knock UCLA out of playoff contention last week. These are hugely different FBS games.

Sitting Bull
November 20th, 2022, 11:00 AM
W&M beat one of the worst FBS teams, it’s barely better than beating UMass. NDSU lost to a PAC-12 team by 3, who while not great this year, did knock UCLA out of playoff contention last week. These are hugely different FBS games.

W&M won by 17 and was running out the clock on Charlottes 5yl at games end. Charlotte ended 3-8 against FBS competition though agreed, beating G5 teams isn’t a giant leap for solid FCS teams. Arizona is P5 though the PAC12 is the weakest of that group and Arizona a bottom tier team there. Bottom line, W&M won their game, ND State did not.

I say let’s make the Bison do some work this year and have to play their way to Frisco without the Fargo dome.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 11:04 AM

WM didn’t just beat Charlotte. We dominated them in the 2nd half. Yes, AZ is clearly a better FBS opponent, but a loss is still a loss. I also think playing a P5 school is artificially boosting NDSU SOS computer rankings somewhat. See that a lot with FCS teams that play P5 games (see Samford v Georgia). Too much weight given just for stepping on the same field with a P5. I really see this as a coin flip based solely on this year’s body of work. I’m also fine if NDSU gets the nod based on past performance.

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 11:05 AM

While I don't disagree about Arizona vs Charlotte, to a degree, for you to try and beef up Arizona, by beefing up UCLA as a possible contender is a HUGE stretch. Almost funny. Arizona also got smacked by Cal who stomped everyone's darling UC Davis. Not much difference in comparisons. In any event getting into transitive comparison is always a funny exercise and only good for entertainment.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 11:12 AM
WM didn’t just beat Charlotte. We dominated them in the 2nd half. Yes, AZ is clearly a better FBS opponent, but a loss is still a loss. I also think playing a P5 school is artificially boosting NDSU SOS computer rankings somewhat. See that a lot with FCS teams that play P5 games (see Samford v Georgia). Too much weight given just for stepping on the same field with a P5. I really see this as a coin flip based solely on this year’s body of work. I’m also fine if NDSU gets the nod based on past performance.

They didn’t just step on the field. They competed, and probably should have won that game. “A loss is a loss” is just making my point further.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 11:15 AM
While I don't disagree about Arizona vs Charlotte, to a degree, for you to try and beef up Arizona, by beefing up UCLA as a possible contender is a HUGE stretch. Almost funny. Arizona also got smacked by Cal who stomped everyone's darling UC Davis. Not much difference in comparisons. In any event getting into transitive comparison is always a funny exercise and only good for entertainment.

We didn’t “beef up” UCLA. Pollsters did, and up until last week I might add. Consider it what you will, but I would definitely like a win and score prediction in a hypothetical game between Arizona and Charlotte. WWMS (what would Massey say)?

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 11:24 AM
We didn’t “beef up” UCLA. Pollsters did, and up until last week I might add. Consider it what you will, but I would definitely like a win and score prediction in a hypothetical game between Arizona and Charlotte. WWMS (what would Massey say)?

Well let’s see, WM beat Charlotte by 17 and NDSU lost to AZ by 3, so that’s a 20 point spread. I’m not going to look it up because I don’t deal in hypotheticals, but I’m guessing Massey would predict around a 20 point win for AZ over Charlotte. So, I guess given the outcomes of the games that were actually played, I don’t see how losing to a below average P5 AZ is some big differentiator for NDSU.

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 11:37 AM
UCLA was as high as #9 before the Oregon loss, and had a pair of top 15 wins over Washington and Utah. They were in the playoff conversation before the PAC-12 did what the PAC-12 does best and cannibalized itself.

JacksFan40
November 20th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Well let’s see, WM beat Charlotte by 17 and NDSU lost to AZ by 3, so that’s a 20 point spread. I’m not going to look it up because I don’t deal in hypotheticals, but I’m guessing Massey would predict around a 20 point win for AZ over Charlotte. So, I guess given the outcomes of the games that were actually played, I don’t see how losing to a below average P5 AZ is some big differentiator for NDSU.
The spread would be closer to 40 in favor of Arizona, Charlotte is awful. They lost 59-7 to a middling Western Kentucky.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Lmfao, ECB saying Charlotte is as good or better as Arizona.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Well it is moot now, but it is clear how the committee felt about the seeds.

kdinva
November 20th, 2022, 12:15 PM

NDSU would have gotten a seed at 7-4

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Hmm. Don't think I said anything about that match up. I was criticizing a notion that Arizona is somehow great based on the fantasy of UCLA making the playoffs. Was never going to be a serious contender. Comparing FBS games in general is a silly exercise. There are too many variables at play when trying to. And then trying to compare an FBS performance against an FCS versus a latter FBS game, a familiar conf foe to boot, makes it even more silly.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2022, 12:55 PM
Hmm. Don't think I said anything about that match up. I was criticizing a notion that Arizona is somehow great based on the fantasy of UCLA making the playoffs. Was never going to be a serious contender. Comparing FBS games in general is a silly exercise. There are too many variables at play when trying to. And then trying to compare an FBS performance against an FCS versus a latter FBS game, a familiar conf foe to boot, makes it even more silly.

You did mention beefing up. You did not mention a hypothetical matchup directly, but a comparison does abound if people throw s*** around like “FBS win”, as if all FCS v. FBS games are equivalent. The beef up part was responding to you, the other part was for the “FBS win” folks. El Cid, just wanted to clarify.

WMTribe90
November 20th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Lmfao, ECB saying Charlotte is as good or better as Arizona.

Gil, its been a while, but I see reading comprehension is still an issue. No one said Charlotte is as good as AZ. The question was is a sizable win over Charlotte comparable to a close loss to AZ?

Doesn’t matter now. It all gets settled on the field.

ElCid
November 20th, 2022, 01:46 PM
You did mention beefing up. You did not mention a hypothetical matchup directly, but a comparison does abound if people throw s*** around like “FBS win”, as if all FCS v. FBS games are equivalent. The beef up part was responding to you, the other part was for the “FBS win” folks. El Cid, just wanted to clarify.

FBS wins are nice trophies but we all know that it may or may not translate into FCS wins. Case in point, My Bulldogs beating GA Tech in 2019, and going 6-6 overall and 4-4 in SOCON. Performance against a ripe FBS for scalping might predict performance against the FCS field, usually does, but not guaranteed. But I will add, a dominating performance against any FBS usually indicates a pretty darn good FCS team. After that, it just splitting hairs.

gotts
November 20th, 2022, 01:53 PM
If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport, the nation of AGS would sweep the podium.