PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of a UD/DSU Playoff match-up???

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
i seen some guys alluding to it in another thread and wanted to see what you guys thought about it overall. i think it's long overdue and would be great for football fans in the state

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
It's becoming more and more of a possiblity. How does post season ticket sales go in Newark?

SunCoastBlueHen
October 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm sure the game would get some national recognition. If both the Hornets and the Hens take care of business the rest of the way, I would say the game is almost a lock. I'm certainly rooting for it to happen, anyway. xthumbsupx

Seahawks Fan
October 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
This would be a very interesting game. And perhaps move the logjam to get this game played more often. xthumbsupx

OhioHen
October 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
It's becoming more and more of a possiblity. How does post season ticket sales go in Newark?

Unless they've changed things from when I lived close enough to be a season ticket holder, the process looks like this:

Season ticket holders have until a designated time on Tuesday to purchase their seats. After that time, all those tickets are added to the pool of available-to-the-public tickets. No student discount was available on playoff tickets when I was a student. Historically, they withheld ALL non-season tickets until the deadline for season ticket holders to claim their seats.

If the matchup happens, I'll be contacting the UD box office early and often to get whatever tickets are available to me.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I'm sure the game would get some national recognition. If both the Hornets and the Hens take care of business the rest of the way, I would say the game is almost a lock. I'm certainly rooting for it to happen, anyway. xthumbsupx

That would get the buzz going with non-FCS fans about the play-offs in a big way.

I would be great for the subdivision in general!!xthumbsupx

Now go take care of buisness.

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM
With such a huge demand for a ticket to such a game occuring, would thoughts of moving it to a larger venue come into play?

putter
That would be a great matchup and a key game for the FCS and the state.

HensRock
Playoff attendance is quite a bit down from regular season in Newark, particularly on Thanksgiving weekend (round 1). DSU doesn't have as many fans, but I hope the in-state interest in this game gives the attendance a shot in the arm. Hopefully we'll get 17-19K for this matchup. I would not hope for more.

Seahawks Fan
October 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
With such a huge demand for a ticket to such a game occuring, would thoughts of moving it to a larger venue come into play?

I was thinking the same thing. Maryland? Annapolis?

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Playoff attendance is quite a bit down from regular season in Newark, particularly on Thanksgiving weekend (round 1). DSU doesn't have as many fans, but I hope the in-state interest in this game gives the attendance a shot in the arm. Hopefully we'll get 17-19K for this matchup. I would not hope for more.

For real? Not even a sell out? Don't you all sell out for a regualr season West Chester? If that is the case I may be making a road trip up I-95.

aust42
October 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM

No chance for that. The 1st round is Thanksgiving weekend and we typically get around 15k for our playoff games due to no students on campus and family obligations. It would be interesting to see if such a game would be sold out. I hope it happens.

HensRock
October 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM

I certainly don't think that would be necessary. Round 1 is not well attended traditionally and I don't see DSU bringing that many fans.

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think the ticket demand is that huge. I don't think the two schools really care if they play each other, and I don't think the student bodies care (at least not UD's) either.

LacesOut
For real? Not even a sell out? Don't you all sell out for a regualr season West Chester? If that is the case I may be making a road trip up I-95.

The first round playoffs in Newark NEVER sells out. Not on Turkey Day weekend. Very easy to get tix.

**EDIT** Damn my typing is slow, three responses beat mine!

GannonFan
If, and it's still and if, both UD and DSU make the playoffs, it's almost a mortal lock that they would be paired in the first round with the game being in Newark.

As for demand for tickets, it's always hard to say in the playoffs what they'll announce the attendance as - Delaware's had packed houses for past playoff games but has never announced a playoff crowd greater than 16,000 or so. I think this year there is a Friday opening round playoff game slot that this game could get and the sales would be brisk. But with DSU's tiny fanbase and with some people who opt not to come to the playoffs (cold weather, short notice, etc) I don't think the game would sell out. There are very few first round games that do.

On the playing side, being a UD fan, I would welcome this matchup this year in a heart beat. Having seen DSU play Morgan St, I can't imagine UD being anything less than a 2 TD favorite in such a game and would love to see UD steamroll the Hornets. DSU's having a great year, but I think UD's in another class.

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Moving the game out of state makes no sense.

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Moving the game out of state makes no sense.

Not now. I figured it would sell out immediately. Not the case apparently.
Thanks for all the insight, maybe I might get a group of guys together to invade the fine three counties of Delaware!

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Not now. I figured it would sell out immediately. Not the case apparently.
Thanks for all the insight, maybe I might get a group of guys together to invade the fine three counties of Delaware!
I wouldn't be surprized if the game sells out. I just don't see the point of moving an instate game to an out of state venue. Ticket demand would drop, and it wouldn't be good for the state (game generated revenue would go to the host venue.)
There is little to no chance the game would sell out if it were played in Maryland or Philadelphia.

GannonFan
October 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM
You can't move the game anyway - who would come up with the money to secure a stadium outside of the state on such short notice (1 week)? It just wouldn't be done. It would make the $30k (or whatever the actual amount is) minimum bid for the 1st round look like chump change.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM
You guys really have zero clue if you think UD would move a game willingly. The game would probably be close to a sellout, they may not announce it as such. As for the demand for the game, yes I'm sure some people really wanna see it, but DSU has a very small base & how many people would come that aren't coming already??

OhioHen
October 29th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Another factor in lower attendance at UD playoff games is the number of older season ticket holders. There are many that live in Delaware from about Memorial Day until the day after the last UD home game of the regular season and in Florida for the remainder of the year. MANY Florida plates in the Gold Lot at the stadium. Students being back in town helps the non-Thanksgiving games come closer to regular season numbers.

SunCoastBlueHen
October 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Another factor in lower attendance at UD playoff games is the number of older season ticket holders. There are many that live in Delaware from about Memorial Day until the day after the last UD home game of the regular season and in Florida for the remainder of the year. MANY Florida plates in the Gold Lot at the stadium. Students being back in town helps the non-Thanksgiving games come closer to regular season numbers.

Thanks for reminding me - it is almost snowbird season. xnonono2x :p

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
All I know is that I'd be there... then again, I'd be there no matter who we played. :p

GannonFan
October 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM
All I know is that I'd be there... then again, I'd be there no matter who we played. :p

Agreed, playoff games in Newark and I'm there with my two sons in tow no matter who the Hens are playing. Of course, and maybe this is where the lower attendance numbers come from, the gentler sex of our group of season tickets (we have 10 seats in total) typically eschew the playoff games - apparently they are in it more for the atmosphere and seeing everyone and less for the football and the cold weather in late November and December trumps the need to see people. Go figure. Just means I can shout more so it makes up for the lack of additional bodies. xthumbsupx

henfan
October 29th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Not having students on campus during Thanksgiving weekend also always hurts in more ways than one.

Still, I'd be very surprised if the NCAA had any trouble selling tickets to what would be an historic UD-DSU matchup in Newark on 11/24.

Both teams have got a lot of work to do to get there though.:(

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Both teams have got a lot of work to do to get there though.:(
xnodx Can't stress that one enough. The Hens have three ranked (or close to ranked) teams standing in the way. xeekx

aust42
October 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think the ticket demand is that huge. I don't think the two schools really care if they play each other, and I don't think the student bodies care (at least not UD's) either.

Say what? lol

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Say what? lol
I stated it pretty clearly, if you have a point to make; go ahead.

'LOL' is not the basis for an argument.

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I stated it pretty clearly, if you have a point to make; go ahead.

'LOL' is not the basis for an argument.

Wow, you Delaware guys are fiesty after that Navy game!

foghorn
October 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM
If, and it's still and if, both UD and DSU make the playoffs, it's almost a mortal lock that they would be paired in the first round with the game being in Newark.

As for demand for tickets, it's always hard to say in the playoffs what they'll announce the attendance as - Delaware's had packed houses for past playoff games but has never announced a playoff crowd greater than 16,000 or so. I think this year there is a Friday opening round playoff game slot that this game could get and the sales would be brisk. But with DSU's tiny fanbase and with some people who opt not to come to the playoffs (cold weather, short notice, etc) I don't think the game would sell out. There are very few first round games that do.

On the playing side, being a UD fan, I would welcome this matchup this year in a heart beat. Having seen DSU play Morgan St, I can't imagine UD being anything less than a 2 TD favorite in such a game and would love to see UD steamroll the Hornets. DSU's having a great year, but I think UD's in another class.

GF, I've only missed one home playoff game since they started them, and you can be assured that there are more than just a few fat-azzes who sit in our row. During the regular season you need a greased shoe-horn to stand up, it's so cramped.
During the playoffs, however, although it appears our rows, as well as other rows, are full, they are not, thus allowing much more 'spreading out' room. I'm sure this is because many of the seats are vacated and not because everyone was on a crash diet.
IMO, there are several fewer thousands at the playoff games and that those 'reported' numbers are closer in accuracy than what most people think.

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Wow, you Delaware guys are fiesty after that Navy game!
Not trying to be fiesty. I am here to help. I am your friend.;) xthumbsupx

When I went to UD, there was little to no interest in a UD - DSU game.
Today I think 70% of the student body is out of state. Most NJ and PA residents don't care if UD play DSU or not.

This is of course, only my opinion, I have no polling or research to support it. I could be wrong.xnodx

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
You guys really have zero clue if you think UD would move a game willingly. The game would probably be close to a sellout, they may not announce it as such. As for the demand for the game, yes I'm sure some people really wanna see it, but DSU has a very small base & how many people would come that aren't coming already??

here is where people are getting the conclusions a little misguided.

Delaware State has wayyy more fans of its football club than show up to the games. in fact, the stadium and seating are the main reason that so many fans decide not to come. Also, the majority of delaware stat fans come from the Chester, PA to Wilmington, DE area which is a decent drive to Dover. if the game were to be in Newark their would be more DSU fans there than at two home games combined. I cant speak for the UD student body but with UD alumni, DSU alumni, DSU Staff and student body, this game has been begged for and long awaited. request after request has been sent and never responded to. this game would come very close to a sell out if not hitting one.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM

I would think that this would be a lock for the Friday game. That game's the only national game on ESPN (I don't count ESPNU because I don't get it xbawlingx ) and would probably draw some more fans.

The only other game they MIGHT throw in there is the ASU game (assuming they make the playoffs) because of the win over Michigan.

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
During the regular season you need a greased shoe-horn to stand up, it's so cramped.
During the playoffs, however, although it appears our rows, as well as other rows, are full, they are not, thus allowing much more 'spreading out' room. I'm sure this is because many of the seats are vacated and not because everyone was on a crash diet.
Agreed Fog. As much as I'd like to think we're waaaaay underreporting, the truth is the fans do spread out a little more in the playoff games because of empty seats.

Somebody could call Mrs Fleming, but I'd doubt you'd get the answer... I wonder if they simply hold a seat or two per row out of public consumption. Think about it... the season tix holders have the right to buy their seats for several days before the game. Do you really think that every one that goes unsold to season tix holders ends up for sale? I don't think our ticket office could handle that kind of return if they wanted to. xsmhx

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Delaware State has wayyy more fans of its football club than show up to the games. in fact, the stadium and seating are the main reason that so many fans decide not to come.

if the game were to be in Newark their would be more DSU fans there than at two home games combined.
I don't agree at all. EVERY team has way more fans of it's team than show up for games... but there's a reason they don't show up for games... they don't care to go to games. There is no way you bring twice as many as you get for a home game. It just doesn't work that way... anywhere.

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I don't agree at all. EVERY team has way more fans of it's team than show up for games... but there's a reason they don't show up for games... they don't care to go to games. There is no way you bring twice as many as you get for a home game. It just doesn't work that way... anywhere.

i'm serious, as dramatic as it may seem, i know a few hundred people just off the top of my head that would come to games if they were in newark instead of dover. on top of that, the fans of football in the state who dont particularly care for either club will come just for the significance within the state. we are one of the only states without an in-state rivalry game. people will come out, trust me.

kardplayer
October 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I would think that this would be a lock for the Friday game. That game's the only national game on ESPN (I don't count ESPNU because I don't get it xbawlingx ) and would probably draw some more fans.

The only other game they MIGHT throw in there is the ASU game (assuming they make the playoffs) because of the win over Michigan.

ASU is an absolute lock for the nationally televised game if they make the playoffs. As much significance as there is for UD/DSU, there are more ratings in the team that beat Michigan and is back-to-back champs.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM
i'm serious, as dramatic as it may seem, i know a few hundred people just off the top of my head that would come to games if they were in newark instead of dover. on top of that, the fans of football in the state who dont particularly care for either club will come just for the significance within the state. we are one of the only states without an in-state rivalry game. people will come out, trust me.

I don't think I know a few hundred people, period. And I definitely don't know a few hundred JMU fans...xbawlingx

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I don't think I know a few hundred people, period. And I definitely don't know a few hundred JMU fans...xbawlingx

xlolx xlolx

i'm a politician....i network every second of the day xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
ASU is an absolute lock for the nationally televised game if they make the playoffs. As much significance as there is for UD/DSU, there are more ratings in the team that beat Michigan and is back-to-back champs.

Dunno about that - ESPN was in Delaware a few weeks back to get material for an "Outside the Lines" feature on the UD/DSU no football game story. They might be able to tie the two together and build up the audience that way. ASU is by no means of lock for the Friday game at all.

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I support the Parka Theory of playoff attendance. Under the Parka Theory, the bulkier clothes worn by playoff attendees in cold-weather climes (as DE can be in November and December -- witness the championship year) to cover their fat azzes make it seem like there are more folks in the stands than there actually are!xcoolx :p

LacesOut
October 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'd definitely go see a UD/DSU matchup. And I haven't been to a UD game in about three years, despite being an alum and living three minutes from the stadium and having season ticket holders of my family offering me a ticket for most games. LOL

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Dunno about that - ESPN was in Delaware a few weeks back to get material for an "Outside the Lines" feature on the UD/DSU no football game story. They might be able to tie the two together and build up the audience that way. ASU is by no means of lock for the Friday game at all.

Yea, I kind of see ASU getting the ESPNU game for the first round with the big wigs at The Network figure that ASU will surely make it to the semis (after all, they beat Michigan, right?).

BTW, this is not a slight on ASU, merely a shot at The Network.

kardplayer
October 29th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Fair point, but what's the difference in ratings between OTL and Sportscenter.

MILLIONS more people have heard of Appalachian State vs. the DSU/UD no football game story

bandl
October 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Fair point, but what's the difference in ratings between OTL and Sportscenter?

MILLIONS more people have heard of Appalachian State vs. the DSU/UD no football game story

Depends more on ESPN's agenda xreadx

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Not a slight on Delaware, but the whole country knows App State this year. Lazy Thanksgiving Friday? "Hey that App-A-la-shun State's a playin! They ain't division 2 and they aint division 1, what is they"

aust42
October 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Not trying to be fiesty. I am here to help. I am your friend.;) xthumbsupx

When I went to UD, there was little to no interest in a UD - DSU game.
Today I think 70% of the student body is out of state. Most NJ and PA residents don't care if UD play DSU or not.

This is of course, only my opinion, I have no polling or research to support it. I could be wrong.xnodx

Sorry I thought you were being sarcastic when you said "I don't think ticket demand is that huge, I don't think the two schools really care if they play each other, and I don't think the student bodies care (at least not UD's) either."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Haven't you been paying attention to this topic the past few years?

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I haven't been to a UD game in about three years, despite being an alum and living three minutes from the stadium
xoopsx xsmhx xnonox :p

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
And I hate to say it, but AppSt LOSING in the first round is acutally what people would want to see. xeyebrowx xnodx xeekx

HensRock
October 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
IMO, there are several fewer thousands at the playoff games and that those 'reported' numbers are closer in accuracy than what most people think.

Absolutely!

Last 2 first round appearances at Delaware Stadium
2003: 14,572 (Southern Illinois)
2004: 13,707 (Lafayette)

In both seasons every single regular-season game sold out at 22K+

As I said above, I would not even hope in my wildest dreams that we would draw 19K for DSU in the first round.

Andy1717, come on up with your buddies. They'll be tickets available.

hornetsrhorrible
October 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM
i think this has been well covered. that being said, i will be moving to new hampshire t/g weekend, if it happens look for the uhaul truck with the blond griz fan (shes an alum) and the fat bald pasty white guy rooting for state!xlolx
this game would be good for delaware athletics and would help motivate the few fcs/fbs canidates that delaware produces to maybe stay instate. they are after all "delaware's 2 universities"(especially at general assembly higher edjacasun tax time!)
keep it up winning hornets and it will happen!

henfan
October 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Last 2 first round appearances at Delaware Stadium
2003: 14,572 (Southern Illinois)
2004: 13,707 (Lafayette)

I don't put a whole lot of stock in the official attendance for playoff games. We all know why they aren't exactly accurate reflections of fannies in the seats. How they know the exact numbers without turnstiles is amazing!;)

Oddly, official playoff counts are always more accurate when viewed through these goggles:

http://www.costumeuniverse.com/prodspics/dollar_sign_glasses_tn.jpg

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
look for the uhaul truck with the blond griz fan (shes an alum) and the fat bald pasty white guy rooting for state!xlolx
How will we tell you apart from the other DSU fans? xconfusedx :p

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
How will we tell you apart from the other DSU fans? xconfusedx :p

xflaggedx