PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross at Fordham - PL Auto Bid at stake

Fordham
October 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Who'da thunk it?

Just enjoying this season, fellas, and I'll certainly enjoy this week more than any so far. I have to say that it's been the most enjoyable one I can ever remember and it all comes down to so drastically exceeding everyone's expecations, including obviously my own.

Just like pretty much every other game on our skid this season, we'll be underdogs. Given the prolific O we're facing as well as how HC has fared in the common opponents category, they certainly deserve to be the favorites. I just love that so far this season we've played our best in the biggest games - let's hope that continues for at least one more week this season this Saturday.

Go Rams!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm planning on being at this game - the Patriot League title game this year. Too bad it won't be on TV, it should be a great game come what may.

PeacockRaider
October 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Question about the auto-bid If three teams end up with one loss, all of them to each other, who gets the auto?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Question about the auto-bid If three teams end up with one loss, all of them to each other, who gets the auto?

What happens is that the ADs of the non-involved teams, I believe, engage in a vote to determine who the autobid winner would be. I don't think it's ever come to that, incidentally, in determining the autobid in the 10 years the Patriot League has had it.

danefan
October 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoltinJoe
October 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I'm planning on being at this game - the Patriot League title game this year. Too bad it won't be on TV, it should be a great game come what may.

It is being televised in the New York area on NBCHD 4.4.

NBC 4.4 (http://www.wnbc.com/entertainment/10371246/detail.html)

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Since I picked Holy Cross to win the league in the pre-season (I really did, but cant seem to find that thread) I still think the Cross will win the battle of the catholics.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM
This Dayton fan, and I'll be so bold as to say the ENTIRE FLYER FOOTBALL NATION will be pulling for the Rams on Saturday!

What a remarkable turnaround story! It is only right that the story is completed with the Rams going to the FCS playoffs!!!!

GO FORDHAM RAMS!!!!!

danefan
October 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM

That's awesome. I didn't even know that channel existed.xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
October 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM
So who's the Pope rooting for? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM

That is awesome news! Way to go, Rams, for getting that set up.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Come on now, we all know the Pope is rooting for that very famous, midwest, school with a very good football team.... Notre Da.... Heck no! The University of Dayton Flyers!!!!!

Rams win and go to the playoffs, Flyers finish at 10-1 and join the Rams. Maybe a first round match-up, ( rematch ), between the Flyers and Rams. Of course the Rams would be doomed again as the Pope would still be pulling for the Flyers!!!!!:D

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Rams win and go to the playoffs, Flyers finish at 10-1 and join the Rams. Maybe a first round match-up, ( rematch ), between the Flyers and Rams. Of course the Rams would be doomed again as the Pope would still be pulling for the Flyers!!!!!:D

IF this scenario occured, I would think Fordham and Dayton would be traveling to a top 4 seed.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Here's my question: will the loser of this game get serious at-large consideration?

If Holy Cross loses, they could go 8-3. Quality win: Harvard, all losses are tough: Fordham, UMass, Yale.

If Fordham loses, they could go 8-3. Quality win: None (maybe URI or Colgate), loss to HC, tough losses to Albany and Dayton

Adding Colgate to the mix, they could also go 8-3 if they win out and beat HC. Quality win: HC (next one: Albany), tough losses to UMass, Fordham. How does the loss to Cornell affect their chances?

To me, HC is has an excellent chance at an at-large bid if they lose one more down the stretch to either Colgate or Fordham. Colgate is a longshot at-large if they win out, and Fordham just can't overcome the losses to Albany and Dayton, though both are pretty darned good teams.

I think it's a playoff game for Fordham on Saturday, for the 'Cross less so.

carney2
October 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM

The first eliminator is head to head performance. If that hasn't decided it, they go to records vs. common OOCs. Finally, the ADs from all schools not involved in the decision vote. There are guidelines for the "vote," but who knows.

As for an at large bid for the loser of Saturday's game, neither team has a win against a ranked or "name" opponent and that should be a significant factor in a "no" answer to this question. This fact was pointed out to me by the AGS powers that be when I snuck both into my Top 20 in last week's AGS poll.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I have Fordham and Dayton in my AGS top 25 polls. No Holy Cross yet....

JoltinJoe
October 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
If Fordham loses, they could go 8-3. Quality win: None (maybe URI or Colgate), loss to HC, tough losses to Albany and Dayton.

I think it's a playoff game for Fordham on Saturday, for the 'Cross less so.

Hey, we had quality wins over Colgate, Lehigh, and then Lafayette. The problem is every time we beat someone, a lot of folks say, "Hey, they couldn't be so good if they lost to Fordham."

For an at-large bid, you look to the season as a whole and the early-season losses to Albany and Dayton doom Fordham. The Rams must win the PL auto bid to make it. Nonetheless, Fordham is a very young team starting a good number of sophomores and freshmen. The Rams have improved markedly since September.

Anyway, in my mind, Holy Cross is the favorite Saturday.

Spoke
October 29th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I have Fordham and Dayton in my AGS top 25 polls. No Holy Cross yet....

I'm going to call you out on this one. Clearly you're a Dayton fan and you hold out hope for a Dayton at-large playoff selection. I sincerely believe that Fordham is a very, very good team, but I wonder why you put Fordham in your Top 25 for any reason other than to boost your own team's standing. Holy Cross outranks Fordham in all polls.

- Dayton beat Fordham. A quality win.
- Holy Cross has lost twice: to #4 UMass by 10 and to #13 Yale.
- Fordham has lost to (unranked) Dayton AT HOME, and (unranked) Albany AT HOME.
- In terms of common opponents, Holy Cross has beaten Lehigh 59-10 AT LEHIGH and Georgetown 55-0, while Fordham has beaten Lehigh AT HOME 28-18 and Georgetown 38-31 in a squeaker.
- OOC, Holy Cross beat a tough Harvard squad. Fordham has wins vs. Marist and CAA bottomdweller URI.

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I'm going to call you out on this one. Clearly you're a Dayton fan and you hold out hope for a Dayton at-large playoff selection. I sincerely believe that Fordham is a very, very good team, but I wonder why you put Fordham in your Top 25 for any reason other than to boost your own team's standing. Holy Cross outranks Fordham in all polls.

- In terms of common opponents, Holy Cross has beaten Lehigh 59-10 AT LEHIGH and Georgetown 55-0, while Fordham has beaten Lehigh AT HOME 28-18 and Georgetown 38-31 in a squeaker.
- OOC, Holy Cross beat a tough Harvard squad. Fordham has wins vs. Marist and CAA bottomdweller URI.

Agree The Cross should be ranked higher right now-- but we will see what happens this weekend as perhaps Fordham will surprise me again!

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
First, I would argue that both Albany and Dayton are better than Yale. Fordham and Holy Cross may be as well.... But, more importantly, I think only one PL team deserves to be ranked in the top 25. I have seen Fordham play in person, so I am much more familar with them, and they are 4-0 in the PL.... If HC defeats Fordham, HC in Fordham out.... I also have Yale ranked MUCH lower that what the general AGS community has them at currently.... Who the heck does the Ivy League play?

I still think that USD could rule the PL this season. If Dayton could play like we did against USD, we would win the PL this year as well, IMHO! Of course we might play like we did against Morehead State and be a middle of the pack PL team as well....

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
First, I would argue that both Albany and Dayton are better than Yale. Fordham and Holy Cross may be as well.... But, more importantly, I think only one PL team deserves to be ranked in the top 25. I have seen Fordham play in person, so I am much more familar with them, and they are 4-0 in the PL.... If HC defeats Fordham, HC in Fordham out.... I also have Yale ranked MUCH lower that what the general AGS community has them at currently.... Who the heck does the Ivy League play?

I still think that USD could rule the PL this season. If Dayton could play like we did against USD, we would win the PL this year as well, IMHO! Of course we might play like we did against Morehead State and be a middle of the pack PL team as well....

Im saving this post to bring back up if Holy Cross destroys Fordham as they have everyone else over the last few weeks.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Well, "they" said the same thing about USD at Dayton.... To quote a rather well known, FCS writer and Patriot League fan:

San Diego over Dayton
This week, the Toreros had their practice schedules altered when the San Diego wildfires were raging out of control. Although the campus was not in any danger, the team had to practice inside due to “air quality issues” outside with smoke from the fires. All indications are that there will be no issues for San Diego flying to Dayton for the de facto Pioneer League Championship game, but a word of warning to Flyer fans: San Diego didn’t have classes this week. That means Torero quarterback Josh Johnson has been spending EXTRA time studying how to dominate your defense. This can’t be good news for Flyer quarterback Kevin Hoyng, as great as he has been in a 7-1 start for Dayton. With the extra time to prepare, and far away from any fires, San Diego rolls again.
“The Only Smoke Here Is From Josh Johnson’s Arm” 63, Dazzled Dayton 31

We all know how that one turned out.... Lets try "Dazzling Dayton" shall we?

Look, I understand why the Cross will be favored going into the Fordham game.... It is hard for PL fans to comprehend how their favorite team lost to Fordham, while Fordham lost to Albany and Dayton.... I can feel the "worry" about the state of the PL through my keyboard, LOL!! Yeah, I know you will all feel better somehow, if HC is able to destroy Fordham.... Somehow, it will assure you that the PL is still dominant over the top teams of the NEC and PFL....

But, I have a feeling that Fordham is going to surprise all of you one more time this season. When it happens week after week, it should not be a suprise, but when a team won only three games last season, it is just hard to come to grips with the fact that they just might be the best team in the league.... ( Dayton won only 4 games last season )....

Holy Cross will be Fordham's San Diego! No writers are going to pick the Rams this week, bank on it. Well, this Dayton fan is going to go out on a limb, and will be the first to predict a Fordham victory!

Note to Fordham: Do not let the Cross saw that limb from out under me....:D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
It is hard for PL fans to comprehend how their favorite team lost to Fordham, while Fordham lost to Albany and Dayton.... I can feel the "worry" about the state of the PL through my keyboard, LOL!! Yeah, I know you will all feel better somehow, if HC is able to destroy Fordham.... Somehow, it will assure you that the PL is still dominant over the top teams of the NEC and PFL....

Fordham beat Lehigh because Fordham is a better team. Although I felt Lehigh played poorly, I never said that Fordham wasn't a better team. They clearly are. Fordham deserves the shot they are getting this weekend.

I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what the Pioneer League does against the Patriot League from my keyboard. I'm much more interested in how Holy Cross and Fordham will fare on Saturday, despite your best efforts to hijack this thread.

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Yep, whatever helps you sleep at night LFN....xlolx

Go...gate
October 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Listen, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. How 'bout Dayton FB in the PL?

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Listen, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. How 'bout Dayton FB in the PL?

Dayton as an all sports Patriot League member xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Dayton as an all sports Patriot League member xsmiley_wix

I can accept Dayton, LaSalle, St. Joe's, and Fordham joining in all sports.

Nine for football, twelve for basketball, and an easy two football victories for my Mountain hawks in football. (Hint: I'm not talking about Georgetown) xsmiley_wix

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I have commented in the past that Dayton could be the PL west.... I did the work a while back which indicated Dayton is not yet in line with the PL football teams from an academic perspective. Of course basketball would come into play.... I do not think that Dayton is thrilled with the A10, but I doubt that anyone would jump for joy at joining the PL for all sports....

Still, I have often thought, as have other Flyer fans, that if the NCAA ever mandated some type of minimum funding or scholarship requirement to play FCS football, the PL might be a good home for Dayton football. Not the best geography, but neither is the PFL....

I would like to see Dayton play more PL teams, but for some reason, PL teams do not want to travel to Ohio and Dayton is primarily interested in home / home series. ( I think we had to give Fordham a two for one, two games in the Bronx, one game in Dayton ). Plus, we have the A10 relationship with Fordham....

DetroitFlyer
October 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Wow, when did Saint Joe's start playing football?:D

Fordham
October 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Very clear to see why we are the underdogs. Again, deservedly so. Don't know if I read it here or on the HC site, but I read mention of their third straight 500+ yd game in a row!! WOW!! How does that stat rank with the great air-Lehigh offenses of the late 90's/early 2000's or the Bauer-led Pards? Just curious - sounds like it's one of the league's most prolific O's in a while (particularly considering that Colgate was so balanced in '03 and the recent Pard teams have been so strong on D).

Again, though, it's just a lot of fun to be in this position. Can't wait for Saturday!!

And LFN, we have zero shot at an at-large. Given our schedule, deservedly so.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Very clear to see why we are the underdogs. Again, deservedly so. Don't know if I read it here or on the HC site, but I read mention of their third straight 500+ yd game in a row!! WOW!! How does that stat rank with the great air-Lehigh offenses of the late 90's/early 2000's or the Bauer-led Pards? Just curious - sounds like it's one of the league's most prolific O's in a while (particularly considering that Colgate was so balanced in '03 and the recent Pard teams have been so strong on D).

Again, though, it's just a lot of fun to be in this position. Can't wait for Saturday!!

And LFN, we have zero shot at an at-large. Given our schedule, deservedly so.

In some ways, that makes it more exciting, because the next few weeks for HC and Fordham are do-or-die. This week is going to be fun and both schools have well earned the opportunity. I hope a good-sized crowd is in attendance.

Fordham
October 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
In some ways, that makes it more exciting, because the next few weeks for HC and Fordham are do-or-die. This week is going to be fun and both schools have well earned the opportunity. I hope a good-sized crowd is in attendance. I hope so too, go...gate. There's been talk of add'l bleachers being put up on the other side but I haven't heard anything definitive.

Again, can't wait. If there's one thing I've learned it's just to sit back and enjoy watching the gameplan that Masella, Argast & crew come up with AND to know that these kids play their best in big games and never give up, even if down ... alright, that's 3 things ...

Regardless, really can't wait.

Spoke
October 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Fordham: Is it true that FU doesn't allow tailgating?

OLPOP
October 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
No. Tailgating is allowed in Lot A

Go...gate
October 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I hope so too, go...gate. There's been talk of add'l bleachers being put up on the other side but I haven't heard anything definitive.

Again, can't wait. If there's one thing I've learned it's just to sit back and enjoy watching the gameplan that Masella, Argast & crew come up with AND to know that these kids play their best in big games and never give up, even if down ... alright, that's 3 things ...

Regardless, really can't wait.

I'd love to see a full sell-out of Jack Coffey Field. Good game atmosphere, good for Fordham, good for the Bronx and good for the Patriot League.

Fordham
October 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Fordham: Is it true that FU doesn't allow tailgating? absolutely NOT true. I've tailgated at every home game this year. Keep in mind also that we have a Kids Park this year as well - 3 big bouncers, face painters, etc. Make sure to bring the kids and spread the word.

ngineer
October 30th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Are they going to being in temporaries for the 'opposite' side of the stadium or are people going to be forced to climb the trees in the western endzone?? I think Coffey only seats 7,000 and there SHOULD be more than that there on Saturday..plus weather looks perfect right now. I'll be in Hamilton dealing with another maroon clad team, but we'll be listening for the 'out of town scoreboard'. I've seen both HC and FU first hand and give the edge to HC. I think their high-powered O gets the edge over the Rams and the D's are close, though slight edge to Fordham. IF Lehigh does it's job, there'd still be the mathematical possibility of multiple 4-2 teams as co-champs....just a thought to tuck away;)

JoltinJoe
October 31st, 2007, 06:15 AM
absolutely NOT true. I've tailgated at every home game this year. Keep in mind also that we have a Kids Park this year as well - 3 big bouncers, face painters, etc. Make sure to bring the kids and spread the word.

I don't know how this no tailgating rumor has started. I see tailgating at every game. Just keep it under control and there is no problem.

I thought the Kids' Park was done for the year. I told my wife about it and now I'll be there with both of the kids. Just when I thought I was actually going to see the game.

I guess I'll see it on TIVO.

LUHawker
October 31st, 2007, 09:01 AM
I have commented in the past that Dayton could be the PL west.... I did the work a while back which indicated Dayton is not yet in line with the PL football teams from an academic perspective. Of course basketball would come into play.... I do not think that Dayton is thrilled with the A10, but I doubt that anyone would jump for joy at joining the PL for all sports....

Still, I have often thought, as have other Flyer fans, that if the NCAA ever mandated some type of minimum funding or scholarship requirement to play FCS football, the PL might be a good home for Dayton football. Not the best geography, but neither is the PFL....

I would like to see Dayton play more PL teams, but for some reason, PL teams do not want to travel to Ohio and Dayton is primarily interested in home / home series. ( I think we had to give Fordham a two for one, two games in the Bronx, one game in Dayton ). Plus, we have the A10 relationship with Fordham....

I don't think there is a chance in hell of Dayton joining the PL. Wrong profile, wrong geography for the PL. Also, unless Fordham joins the PL for all sports, their affiliation with Dayton via the A-10 carries zero weight, since FU is only an associate member in the PL for football.

Plus, if I ever got wind of Dayton joining the PL, I would lobby as hard as I could against that, if for no other reason than having the most annoying fan in all of FCS.

DetroitFlyer
October 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM
I don't think there is a chance in hell of Dayton joining the PL. Wrong profile, wrong geography for the PL. Also, unless Fordham joins the PL for all sports, their affiliation with Dayton via the A-10 carries zero weight, since FU is only an associate member in the PL for football.

Plus, if I ever got wind of Dayton joining the PL, I would lobby as hard as I could against that, if for no other reason than having the most annoying fan in all of FCS.

Come on now, why don't you say what is really on your mind?:D Look, I understand your fear about your school no longer being able to keep up with the Albany's and Dayton's of the FCS world. All things considered, it is probably a good thing that Dayton will most likely never attempt to join the PL because I sure would hate to experience the immense influence you yield among the PL powers that be....xlolx

As a side note, and in the interest of accuracy, I am not in fact the most annoying fan in FCS here at AGS.... I came in second in the last vote.... There is always this year, however.... LOL!!!!!

By the way, GO RAMS!!!!!

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2007, 09:28 AM

Also we would have to play at "Welcome Stadium"

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/WelcomeStadium.html

Seriously doesnt it look like they just spray painted the parking lot green?? That stuff looks dangerous.

danefan
October 31st, 2007, 09:31 AM

Seriously doesnt it look like they just spray painted the parking lot green?? That stuff looks dangerous.

Yeah....doesn't look very welcoming.

I have to imagine that stuff gets hard as a rock when its cold.

CrusaderBob
October 31st, 2007, 09:39 AM

Yeah, but they do have that cool half-pipe looking thing in the parking lot right next to the stadium.
Perfect for skateboarding in the summer and snow boarding in the winter! xsmiley_wix

Spoke
October 31st, 2007, 09:45 AM
Please stop talking about Dayton and go back to HC-Fordham, lest we all hijack our own thread for DetroitFlyer and his horribly obnoxious cause.

DetroitFlyer
October 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
Please stop talking about Dayton and go back to HC-Fordham, lest we all hijack our own thread for DetroitFlyer and his horribly obnoxious cause.

Wow, my "influence" is everywhere!xeekx

If fairness to Welcome Stadium, the parking lot was sprayed with very soft, green paint.... ( LOL ).

There is actually a plan to replace the soft, green paint with field turf. Suffice it to say that State money is paying for the turf, and as hard as it may be to believe, it was "delayed" and did not get done in time for the 2007 season as promised.

I'll get you back on topic just a little bit....xsmiley_wix

Hopefully, the field turf will be in place next year, in time for FORDHAM'S first visit to Welcome Stadium. I hear that one of Fordham's other teams visits the building next door every once in a while....

GO RAMS, DEFEAT THE CROSS AND EARN THAT PL AQ!!!!!

Spoke
October 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Anyway, according to the Holy Cross ticket office, all tickets allotted to Holy Cross have been sold out. I had to call the Fordham office to get my 10 tickets. Is Fordham expecting a good turnout from its side?

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, my "influence" is everywhere!xeekx

If fairness to Welcome Stadium, the parking lot was sprayed with very soft, green paint.... ( LOL ).

There is actually a plan to replace the soft, green paint with field turf. Suffice it to say that State money is paying for the turf, and as hard as it may be to believe, it was "delayed" and did not get done in time for the 2007 season as promised.

I'll get you back on topic just a little bit....xsmiley_wix

Hopefully, the field turf will be in place next year, in time for FORDHAM'S first visit to Welcome Stadium. I hear that one of Fordham's other teams visits the building next door every once in a while....

GO RAMS, DEFEAT THE CROSS AND EARN THAT PL AQ!!!!!

I was just joking around with the Welcome Stadium stuff, it would actually be a very nice venue with some sprucing up, and still not that bad as is---but some new turf is badly needed it appears.

RAMS83
October 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Fordham is expecting a Sell Out-- 7k for sure possibly 10-12k. HC allotment is sold out already 1500. FU's chairback (higher priced seats are sold out) and 4000 General Admission itickets have been sold already. The 7k should be sold out by Thursday. There is a big demand and administration is considering options such as adding endzone stands or adding bleachers to visiting side.. to hold the possible 10-12k..

Fordham in a shootout behind rising star 6'5 220 soph QB John "El Passo" Skelton (El Paso, TX)..

FU 42
HC 34

Ivytalk
October 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'll pick Fordham, 31-27.

ngineer
October 31st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Fordham is expecting a Sell Out-- 7k for sure possibly 10-12k. HC allotment is sold out already 1500. FU's chairback (higher priced seats are sold out) and 4000 General Admission itickets have been sold already. The 7k should be sold out by Thursday. There is a big demand and administration is considering options such as adding endzone stands or adding bleachers to visiting side.. to hold the possible 10-12k..

Fordham in a shootout behind rising star 6'5 220 soph QB John "El Passo" Skelton (El Paso, TX)..

FU 42
HC 34

Why not move the game to Yankee Stadium where the Rams used to play???;) :D

hebmskebm
October 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Why not move the game to Yankee Stadium where the Rams used to play???;) :D

That's a great idea. Fordham might as well make it an annual game, seeing as how the stadium dosen't look like it'l be occupied this time of year for a long time...:D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2007, 01:42 PM
That's a great idea. Fordham might as well make it an annual game, seeing as how the stadium dosen't look like it'l be occupied this time of year for a long time...:D

If it's an annual game, better hurry... :D... as "old Yankee Stadium" won't be around much more...

hebmskebm
October 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM
If it's an annual game, better hurry... :D... as "old Yankee Stadium" won't be around much more...

haha, completely forgot about that, i myself am far more interested in the other new baseball stadium in new york

LCFan21
October 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Fordham has a HUGE emotional edge coming into this game - they are playing for the title and playoff birth right here and now - WIN and IN - DONE! - Even if HC wins they still have some work left to do. I would think having that carrot so close would count for something in a big game like this.

Go...gate
October 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
haha, completely forgot about that, i myself am far more interested in the other new baseball stadium in new york

CitiField, right?? xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
October 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM
I personally find this interesting because of what was happening in the mid to late 1980s with Holy Cross. They kept getting a lot of "props" from pollsters but never had to prove it in the playoffs.

Go...gate
October 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM
I personally find this interesting because of what was happening in the mid to late 1980s with Holy Cross. They kept getting a lot of "props" from pollsters but never had to prove it in the playoffs.

You can blame that on a$$holes like George Langdon, Colgate's former Prexy, who, along with Reverend Brooks of Holy Cross, led the charge to ban Patriot League teams from the playoffs at the time of the league's formation. The League really did not recover until the late 1990's.

ngineer
October 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Fordham has a HUGE emotional edge coming into this game - they are playing for the title and playoff birth right here and now - WIN and IN - DONE! - Even if HC wins they still have some work left to do. I would think having that carrot so close would count for something in a big game like this.

AGS, AGS, AGS...Rams will still have to play Bucknell, and what better way for the Bison to have something memorable than to knock off the undefeated Rams? Bucknell, despite the recent period of being 'down' has given various teams fits over recent years when taken too lightly. Certainly, FU should be heavily favored, but they better not come out thinking it will be a skate.

CrusaderBob
October 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
AGS, AGS, AGS...Rams will still have to play Bucknell, and what better way for the Bison to have something memorable than to knock off the undefeated Rams? Bucknell, despite the recent period of being 'down' has given various teams fits over recent years when taken too lightly. Certainly, FU should be heavily favored, but they better not come out thinking it will be a skate.

ngineer,

True, but if Fordham beats HC the worst they would be is 5 -1 in the PL and would hold the tie-breaker (head-to-head) against every other team with a potential to be 5 - 1.

And FWIW, I don't think of that as a huge edge in this game. While the motivation is nice, the pressure will be greater as well, particularly for a young team.

ngineer
October 31st, 2007, 09:22 PM
ngineer,

True, but if Fordham beats HC the worst they would be is 5 -1 in the PL and would hold the tie-breaker (head-to-head) against every other team with a potential to be 5 - 1.

And FWIW, I don't think of that as a huge edge in this game. While the motivation is nice, the pressure will be greater as well, particularly for a young team.

Correct on the head to head, I didn't realize at the time that Fordham only has one game left on their schedule...So that means we can't have the apocalyptic scenario of multiple teams tying at 4-2 if Fordham wins..so we need to have you guys keep it interesting!:D

colgate13
November 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Let's go Saders.

Fordham
November 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
No bigger Sader fans out there than hopeful Gate, Pard and, to a lesser extent, Engineer ones ... just as it should be.

it's nice to finally be good enough to have other team's fans root against us!!

JoltinJoe
November 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
I'm going to give this a bump because, as far as I know, this is the only game tomorrow where a playoff berth may be decided.

It's win and in for the Rams.xprayx

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
It is also nice to be good enough to have other team's fans root for you!

The University of Dayton Flyers Football Nation says GO RAMS!!!!!

I'm thinking that some folks up in Albany, NY just might feel the same way!!!!

Fordham
November 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Your support is appreciated, DF ... and just like we understand the reasons behind the PL rooting interest in a Sader win, we also understand Dayton & Albany's motivation behind a Fordham one. ;)

It's all good.

ColgateTD
November 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Go 'Saders!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Weather report sez: 50% chance of rain? xeyebrowx

ngineer
November 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Weather report sez: 50% chance of rain? xeyebrowx

Shouldn't be that high..some high winds due to the remenants of Tropical Storm Noel, but from what I heard, little rain expected along the coast.

Pards Rule
November 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Hey Fordham - I'm rooting for the Rams!! Work with a good friend who is a Fordham grad.

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
OK, assuming Holy Cross wins their conference's auto-bid, will they accept it? I distinctly remember a while back (@ 20 yrs. ago?) that Holy Cross was conference champion, ranked in the top 5 nationally, and then refused to play in the playoffs for some forgotten reason.

Does anyone else remember this? Will Holy Cross do the same this year if they get the AQ?

colgate13
November 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
OK, assuming Holy Cross wins their conference's auto-bid, will they accept it? I distinctly remember a while back (@ 20 yrs. ago?) that Holy Cross was conference champion, ranked in the top 5 nationally, and then refused to play in the playoffs for some forgotten reason.

Does anyone else remember this? Will Holy Cross do the same this year if they get the AQ?

They will accept it. That is from back in the day when the Colonial league (now Patriot League) didn't play in the playoffs a la the Ivy League.

Heck, they might even bid if they got in.

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
They will accept it. That is from back in the day when the Colonial league (now Patriot League) didn't play in the playoffs a la the Ivy League.

Heck, they might even bid if they got in.

Thanks. Now if the Ivy League will just do playoffs.

flyenhigh
November 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
All the crap talked on Dayton and Fordham the last few weeks had to be silenced this week......any one believe yet?

Go...gate
November 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Between 1986-96, PL conference policy was no FB playoffs permitted.