PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Seeds?

HiddenGriz
October 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Here is my xtwocentsx. I don't see how the Griz will not have a top 2 seed if they win out. They are ranked 3rd now and NDS is the 2 who can not participate so why will they not have a top 2.

Thoughts.....

GeauxLions94
October 28th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Just a thought, in no particular order ...

Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Massachusetts
Delaware

bcrawf
October 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Montana getting th #2 would not surprise me at all. The NCAA has always looked at $$$ and the possibility of 3 at Wash-Griz brings that cash...

Based on merit, I believe that they should be the #4. Weak schedule, no marquee wins, etc. UMass and McNeese simply have better resumes based on who they have played and beaten...

Selfishly, I hope they get the #4 and UNI holds on and gets the #1. I want Montana to have to come to Cedar Falls...

GrizRchattybound
October 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Griz win out...no one can deny them a top 2 seed, JMHO.

Go Griz

Except Ralph that is!

xthumbsupx xpeacex xnodx

Just kiddin.

Houndawg
October 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Griz win out...no one can deny them a top 2 seed, JMHO.

Go Griz

Except Ralph that is!

xthumbsupx xpeacex xnodx

Just kiddin.

Umass and McNeese both can if they win out too.

GrizRchattybound
October 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Umass and McNeese both can if they win out too.

3 of the last 4 games on the road and an undefeated season...

This is Montana

A) History
B) Undefeated
C) $$$$

#2 is in the bag "IF" they can win out...and that is still a big "IF"

See Yesterdays scores if you do not believe that any team can go down in the BSC andy given Saturday. It's not just a cliche. No smack intended...I'm still not sure we can win out.

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM

This is Montana $$$$

#2 is in the bag.

Not quite in the bag but-

McNeese St
Montana
N. Iowa (UNI:p )
UMass

RE/MAXGriz
October 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
If the current teams in the nation win out you've got a fairly good regional representation for the top 4 seeds:

- McNeese in the south
- Montana in the west
- UNI in the mid-west
- Deleware or UMass in the east

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
#1 - UNI
#2 - McNeese State
#3 - UMass
#4 - Montana

joecooll6
October 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I really think UMass deserves to be seeded higher than Montana if they both win out. Theyre both undefeated in the FCS and UMass's only loss was to one of the best FBS teams in the nation by 10 on the road. Will they? I doubt it cause of the money issue.

Why isnt there any UMass representation on AGS? Anyone notice that?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM

There are quite a few stalwart UMass fans on this board.

GrizDen
October 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
If the current teams in the nation win out you've got a fairly good regional representation for the top 4 seeds:

- McNeese in the south
- Montana in the west
- UNI in the mid-west

Oooohhh, I likey...I likey alot. Even though the cash for 3 playoff games is nice if the Griz get a top 2 seed and of course keep winning...I personally would like to see them finally win a playoff game on the road. All of the above teams, fans and stadium sound like great places to enjoy a semi-final contest.

McNeese...our teams always have closely contested playoff games. Would love to finally win one in Lake Charles.xnodx

UNI...Stellar program, university and atmosphere. They are also my top seed at the present time. To be the best...you gotta beat the best. xthumbsupx

Delaware...that 49-48 1st round loss in 1993 at WaGriz still haunts me. I'd love to return the heart-wrenching nightmares. xsmiley_wix

UMASS...playing each other in back-to-back semi's on each other's respective fields only sounds right and just. xpeacex

FargoBison
October 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
1.UNI
2.Montana
3.Umass
4.McNeese

joecooll6
October 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Oooohhh, I likey...I likey alot. Even though the cash for 3 playoff games is nice if the Griz get a top 2 seed and of course keep winning...I personally would like to see them finally win a playoff game on the road. All of the above teams, fans and stadium sound like great places to enjoy a semi-final contest.

McNeese...our teams always have closely contested playoff games. Would love to finally win one in Lake Charles.xnodx

UNI...Stellar program, university and atmosphere. They are also my top seed at the present time. To be the best...you gotta beat the best. xthumbsupx

Delaware...that 49-48 1st round loss in 1993 at WaGriz still haunts me. I'd love to return the heart-wrenching nightmares. xsmiley_wix

UMASS...playing each other in back-to-back semi's on each other's respective fields only sounds right and just. xpeacex

I can say that the fans here want to see Montana in the dome.

McTailGator
October 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I really think UMass deserves to be seeded higher than Montana if they both win out. Theyre both undefeated in the FCS and UMass's only loss was to one of the best FBS teams in the nation by 10 on the road. Will they? I doubt it cause of the money issue.

I keep reading where people are using money as something the playoff parings committee uses in determining the seeds (or at lease that is what feel is being discussed).

According to the rules, all the top 4 seeds need to do is meet the minimum financial requirements and they get their games.

Money and seeding as nothing to do with the other. We need to remember, the selection committee is made up of AD's from the various confereces. They really don't care ab out the money, that's the NCAA's problem.

McNeese has hosted Montana twice in the playoffs and Montana has hosted MCNeese twice. If money were the main concern, they would never put Montana on the road.

The rules were changed after the 1994 season where indeed a higher seeded McNeese with better attendance at the time (prior to WG's expansion) was sent to Missoula because Montana came up with a better financial package, which was the rule at the time. The next year McNeese recomended a rule change which would give the higher seeds the best shot at the game. But not a guarantee.

Money and other concerns do come into consideration for those NOT seeded 1-4.

LeopardFan04
October 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
1.UNI
2.Montana
3.Umass
4.McNeese

I'd have it the same as of now...

SeattleGriz
October 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM
1 UNI
2 Montana
3 McNeese
4 UMass

Green26
October 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
If all top teams win out, the top 2 seeds will likrey come from UNI, Montana and UMass. McNeese would not be a top 2 seed.

UNI has 3 nice wins, including it's recent one-pointer over Youngstown. Iowa St. was a nice win, but IS is not very good this year and that win is not huge, in my view.

UMass has had a good season, and their 24-14 (or whatever it was) loss at BC looks good. UMass has not had an incredibly tough schedule, not having played some of the tougher teams in their conference, and some of their early wins were not particularly impressive. How the committee views the BC loss may depend on how BC does the rest of the season.

Montana, which may or may not win the rest of their games, has not had a tough schedule but it's better than most people give it credit for. The committee may look at how Montana does in its remaining games, as well as it's nice win over NAU.

I think I'd give UNI the no. 1 seed at this point (based only on schedule, as I haven't seen them play nor looked at the game stats). As for Montana and UMass, I'd have to look closer and wait for more data to decide.

McNeese has played well, but hasn't had a particularly tough schedule. The La. Lafayette win was nice, but LL is not a very good team. McNeese is down a way on all of the polls. Montana thumped McNeese in the playoffs last year. Don't know if that would have any influence over the committee, but it influences me. McNeese was good, and young, last year, and they are better this year--but Montana, on paper, is stronger.

All of these teams have schedules that favor winning out, but Montana's is tougher, with the potentially explosive PSU at home this weekend and archrival Mont. St. on the road the last weekend.

I suppose we should all look to see who's on the selection committee, and who the chair is.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I keep reading where people are using money as something the playoff parings committee uses in determining the seeds (or at lease that is what feel is being discussed).

According to the rules, all the top 4 seeds need to do is meet the minimum financial requirements and they get their games.

Money and seeding as nothing to do with the other. We need to remember, the selection committee is made up of AD's from the various confereces. They really don't care ab out the money, that's the NCAA's problem.

McNeese has hosted Montana twice in the playoffs and Montana has hosted MCNeese twice. If money were the main concern, they would never put Montana on the road.

The rules were changed after the 1994 season where indeed a higher seeded McNeese with better attendance at the time (prior to WG's expansion) was sent to Missoula because Montana came up with a better financial package, which was the rule at the time. The next year McNeese recomended a rule change which would give the higher seeds the best shot at the game. But not a guarantee.

Money and other concerns do come into consideration for those NOT seeded 1-4.

Yes this is true but the NCAA also gets the receipts from the ticket sales which is what I think most people are referring to on this matter and having MT at home if possible due to the bigger gate on top of the minimum bid.

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 11:00 PM

xeyebrowx

What are you talking about? There are a number of UMass posters. You probably don't peruse many CAA related posts if you doubt they exist.

MSUfan2010
October 28th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Massachusetts
Delaware

How about

UNI
SIU
UMass
UD

:D

Retro
October 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
If all top teams win out, the top 2 seeds will likrey come from UNI, Montana and UMass. McNeese would not be a top 2 seed.

UNI has 3 nice wins, including it's recent one-pointer over Youngstown. Iowa St. was a nice win, but IS is not very good this year and that win is not huge, in my view.

UMass has had a good season, and their 24-14 (or whatever it was) loss at BC looks good. UMass has not had an incredibly tough schedule, not having played some of the tougher teams in their conference, and some of their early wins were not particularly impressive. How the committee views the BC loss may depend on how BC does the rest of the season.

Montana, which may or may not win the rest of their games, has not had a tough schedule but it's better than most people give it credit for. The committee may look at how Montana does in its remaining games, as well as it's nice win over NAU.

I think I'd give UNI the no. 1 seed at this point (based only on schedule, as I haven't seen them play nor looked at the game stats). As for Montana and UMass, I'd have to look closer and wait for more data to decide.

McNeese has played well, but hasn't had a particularly tough schedule. The La. Lafayette win was nice, but LL is not a very good team. McNeese is down a way on all of the polls. Montana thumped McNeese in the playoffs last year. Don't know if that would have any influence over the committee, but it influences me. McNeese was good, and young, last year, and they are better this year--but Montana, on paper, is stronger.

All of these teams have schedules that favor winning out, but Montana's is tougher, with the potentially explosive PSU at home this weekend and archrival Mont. St. on the road the last weekend.

I suppose we should all look to see who's on the selection committee, and who the chair is.

This is the dumbest reason i've ever seen.. The committee will not look at last year's record whatsoever!xrolleyesx

The fact is, all undefeated teams are going to get the edge over a 1 loss team regardless of who the 1 loss is againest.. You can't penalize a team for win over a worse FBS team and reward a team for losing to a better one. A loss is a loss in the big picture.. If they all have 1 loss, then that's a different story.. xrulesx

Go look at the stats on each Mcneese game and you'll see the only undefeated team that has yet to be challenged late in the game...

joecooll6
October 28th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Even if that loss is to a team thats currently number 2 in the BCS?

joecooll6
October 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM
xeyebrowx

What are you talking about? There are a number of UMass posters. You probably don't peruse many CAA related posts if you doubt they exist.

I tested this theory and went to last weeks CAA thread. It was the only CAA related thread on the front page. I went through all 3 pages and found two posts from UMass fans. So they DO exist!

Green26
October 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Retro, what's the basis for your statement as to what the committee will and won't look at, or do you have any? Just curious.

I have pretty good info and insight on what the committees of the past have looked at. They have tried to determine what the stongest and most deserving teams were, and they used a variety of methods to make that comparison. Since the McNeese and Montana teams have alot of returning players from last year, I don't think you can rule out a quick comparison of what occurred less than a year ago. I'm thinking the dumbest comment here may be the one made by you.

Do you think McNeese is better than Montana this year? If so, what's the basis for thinking that?

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
<<Since the McNeese and Montana teams have alot of returning players from last year, I don't think you can rule out a quick comparison of what occurred less than a year ago.>>

I don't think you can rule it out, but if you are going to compare how the two teams fared against each other last year, you must also consider how they are faring this year relative to how they fared against similar competition last year.

Montana is not faring any differently against its schedule than it did last year (similar results against NAU, Weber, NC, etc.). McNeese, on the other hand, is light years better. For example, McNeese lost to Texas State at home last year. This year, McNeese blew them out on the road. Texas State appears headed to a similar won-loss record as last year's team. McNeese had 4 losses last year, this year they had none.

So one could compare results from last year to this year and easily conclude that Montana is no better than the team a year ago that failed to reach the championship game (thus making it a TOP TWO team). McNeese, on the other hand, is a considerably different, better team than a year ago.

Green26
October 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yes, I agree that McNeese is better this year, and probably much better.

Montana may or may not be better than last year. Note, however, that Montana's coach intentionally tries to have the team start hitting on all cylinders in November, and not peaking too soon. It remains to be seen whether UM will be able to crank it up a few notches in November and then come steaming into the playoffs.

And while I agree that a game last year has only a bit of relevance, I note that McNeese had only 14 first downs and 224 yards of total offense against UM last year in the playoff game, and your two qb's were 13-22 for 125 yards. UM had 514 yards of total offense. Score was 31-6.

AZGrizFan
October 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM
<<Since the McNeese and Montana teams have alot of returning players from last year, I don't think you can rule out a quick comparison of what occurred less than a year ago.>>

I don't think you can rule it out, but if you are going to compare how the two teams fared against each other last year, you must also consider how they are faring this year relative to how they fared against similar competition last year.

Montana is not faring any differently against its schedule than it did last year (similar results against NAU, Weber, NC, etc.). McNeese, on the other hand, is light years better. For example, McNeese lost to Texas State at home last year. This year, McNeese blew them out on the road. Texas State appears headed to a similar won-loss record as last year's team. McNeese had 4 losses last year, this year they had none.

So one could compare results from last year to this year and easily conclude that Montana is no better than the team a year ago that failed to reach the championship game (thus making it a TOP TWO team). McNeese, on the other hand, is a considerably different, better team than a year ago.

Or conversely, one could argue that McNeese's opponents got significantly worse this year over last, while Montana's did not.

Probably not true, but just about as accurate as your logic. :D :D :D :D

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM
for some reason i just dont see delaware doing it

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Montana may or may not be better than last year. Note, however, that Montana's coach intentionally tries to have the team start hitting on all cylinders in November, and not peaking too soon. It remains to be seen whether UM will be able to crank it up a few notches in November and then come steaming into the playoffs.

And while I agree that a game last year has only a bit of relevance, I note that McNeese had only 14 first downs and 224 yards of total offense against UM last year in the playoff game, and your two qb's were 13-22 for 125 yards. UM had 514 yards of total offense. Score was 31-6.

There are several McDifferences this year.

First and foremost is we have a defensive line this year. We're still undersized to a degree, but not as badly as we were last year. We had no presence in the middle last year and, consequently, teams were able to gash us up the middle all year long. This year we have a pretty good interior lineman back and he's made his presence known. And then there's Bryan Smith on the outside, some other pretty good defensive linemen and some pretty salty linebackers...and the defensive backs ain't too shabby either..well...I realize that I'm sounding way Homeresque right now, but look at common opponents with some of the other "top teams."

Sam Houston went up north and fell a little short in a shootout with NDSU. McNeese handled Sam Houston easily. The score was artificially close because Sam got a TD late, during garbage time against the McBackups. SUU? The margin of victory is about the same for McNeese, and Montana. NDSU beat them a little worse. McNeese called off the dogs in the 2nd quarter, so I don't know what that really shows. I guess you'd have to determine when everybody else called off the dogs, too...

But my point is, there doesn't appear to be that much difference between the top 5 or 6 teams in the division right now...

But if you're asking why we're better, specifically, I guess it's a combination of things...

Offensively, were a lot better in just about every area. The biggest factor, IMHO, is Derrick Fourroux's field generalship. Last year, he performed well, but he was tentative. This year, he's in his natural environment. He looks like a jungle cat padding through the underbrush, deciding if he's going to pick the low hanging fruit to gorge on, or if he's in the mood to kick it into high gear and run down a gazelle for a bigger feast...The beauty of the situation is, either way, he's going to feed.

This year's McTeam is exponentially better than last year's team. One explanation is that the "new" head coach has had a year to really put his system in place and to put his mental stamp on the team.

I don't care where we're seeded.

Yes, I want a home playoff berth, but I find myself forced to admit that, secretly, I want to go back to Montana in the first round. I think this team has all the tools to walk out of Washington-Griz with a win...

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

And by making that comparison you miss the point that I made. Against other opponents who are getting comparable results compared to last year, McNeese is getting profoundly better results. Another example is Southern Utah. A 3-8 SUU team last year had a chance to win the game on its last possession at McNeese. This year, against an almost identical SUU team (both were bad, last year's team just had an easier schedule) McNeese had a 34-0 lead early in the third quarter AT SUU and started emptying the bench. This is not even close to the same McNeese team.
Montana is getting similar results against similar competition. Even if Montana continues to show improvement and peaks late in the season, as you noted it would be no different from last season.

Therefor, it's logical to conclude that McNeese's result against Montana would be profoundly different than a year ago. McNeese is much better than it was. Montana seems basically the same.

Pauly LB
October 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM

This is Montana

A) History
B) Undefeated
C) $$$$

#2 is in the bag "IF" they can win out...and that is still a big "IF"

See Yesterdays scores if you do not believe that any team can go down in the BSC andy given Saturday. It's not just a cliche. No smack intended...I'm still not sure we can win out.

Montana playing on the road -- that is different...

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Or conversely, one could argue that McNeese's opponents got significantly worse this year over last, while Montana's did not.

Probably not true, but just about as accurate as your logic. :D :D :D :D

Actually if you look back, I said it was how McNeese is competing against SIMILAR competition. For example, Southeastern Louisiana has as many wins as it had all of last year and this year McNeese won by a wider margin (and in a generally more dominant fashion) than last year. Last year, SLU controlled the first half then McNeese dominated the second as SLU imploded. This year, McNeese dominated start to finish against what I think is a better SLU team. Texas State was a .500-type club last year (5-6) that beat McNeese on the road. This year, TSU is getting similar results (3-5, with winnable games left on the schedule) but were blown out by McNeese at home. SUU was on the same miserable losing streak it's on now last year when it almost won in Lake Charles. This year, they could barely get a first down until McNeese called off the dogs in Cedar City.

mlbowl
October 29th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Montana playing on the road -- that is different...

How original...How long did it take ya to think that one upxrolleyesx

Chi Panther
October 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM
#1 - UNI
#2 - McNeese State
#3 - UMass
#4 - Montana

Assuming they win out.......I agree with this....

GrizzlyEdd
October 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I could care less where the Griz are seeded so long as they are in the top four. If the Griz are good enough this year (no matter what others think of the schedule) they will win no matter what the seed is. Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis put on the top two seeds. Hell, if you are good enough you can win no matter the seed. xthumbsupx

grizbeer
October 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I could certainly see a scenario where Montana wins out, and doesn't get a top seed - maybe UNI, UMASS, SO. Ill. or the So Conf winner, and McNeese. But then EWU get sent to UNI or McNeese and wins so Montana ends up with 3 home games anyways. xlolx

Barnstormer
October 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I could care less where the Griz are seeded so long as they are in the top four. If the Griz are good enough this year (no matter what others think of the schedule) they will win no matter what the seed is. Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis put on the top two seeds. Hell, if you are good enough you can win no matter the seed. xthumbsupx

Great point. We had to win two on the road to get to the title game two years ago. If you're good.. you're good.

Green26
October 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the specifics on reasons for McNeese's improvement this year. As I said, McNeese has clearly improved. However, I just don't see them getting a two 2 seed, if the other top teams win out--and that was the original topic of this thread. One small point of argument. If Montana is only as good as last year, when it got a no. 2 seed and ended the season ranked no. 3, that tells me that they have a decent chance at getting a no. 2 (or 3) seed again this year.

McTailGator
October 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Do you think McNeese is better than Montana this year? If so, what's the basis for thinking that?

IMO

Yes,

The fact that our coaching staff is much better than years past with Viator at the Helm. We have a couple of coaches with NFL backgrounds and boy does that show.

We have much more speed this year and play much more physical, and it's not because we have new players, but it's because our players know their jobs 50 times better and can now fly to the ball and use their athletisim instead of having to stop and think about it and then react. now it's react first, and just get it done.

This is the best McNeese team ANY Montana team will have ever faced if we play each other this year.

A good example of what we can do this year as opposed to last year is like me saying we used about 8 plays when we met you guy's last year. This year we appear to have about 70 and we run them all very well.

AND, our defense is back to it's old self again, and even better in the Red Zone.

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Massachusetts
Delaware

Just out of curiousity who of those 4 gets bumped from the playoffs first??? These teams will end up facing some quality teams from strong conferences that could present quite a challenge.

bandl
October 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
What's amazing to me, when talking about the Top 4 seeds, is the fact that Appalachian State will not, and should not, get any consideration. Hard to believe after what they have done their past 2 seasons and the beginning of this season. xnodx xsmhx

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
What's amazing to me, when talking about the Top 4 seeds, is the fact that Appalachian State will not, and should not, get any consideration. Hard to believe after what they have done their past 2 seasons and the beginning of this season. xnodx xsmhx

That is part of my point that one of those top seeds will get to host a team like App or somebody else that could hand them a loss on their home field. Should be a great playoff this year.

McNeese75
October 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
That is part of my point that one of those top seeds will get to host a team like App or somebody else that could hand them a loss on their home field. Should be a great playoff this year.

A top seed will give you the comfort of the home field but I agree, there will be few if any walk over rounds.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
It is not that surprising. No one has ever won three straight national FCS titles.

KAUMASS
October 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
We still have 3 games left. UMass @Rhode Island, New Hampshire home, @ Hoftstra.
A lot can happen to any of the 4-6 teams predominently being mentioned in this thread. The seeds are not locked up by any means. If UMass wins out, they probably will be a #2 seed, as we have field turf for game conditions and I hate to say it, but our AD is the chair.
URI has looks like the weakest game, but they were up 10 points against New Hampshire last week before they lost their starting QB and all conference running back. They also played army to ot and lost. New Hampshire is always a tough game, and Hofstra is always a tough road game for us.

Delaware has the toughest remaining schedule with games against JMU and Richmond and Villanova.

Montana arguably has a couple of tough games against Portland State, Idaho St. and Montana St.

UNI looks like the easiest schedule with games with Missouri St, Indiana ST and South. Utah.

I'd like to revisit this thread in two weeks prior to the last game. There probably will be a monkey wrench thrown in somewhere. However it winds up, this arguably could be the toughest 16 team field in the history of our playoff system. Good luck to all teams!!

Grizalltheway
October 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
It is not that surprising. No one has ever won three straight national FCS titles.

Don't count them out just yet. All you have to do is get in. xnodx

Saluki_man
October 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
My top four seeds are as follows:

#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 McNeese
#4 Montana

If any of the bottom three faltar I can see a 1 loss SIU sliding into a seed before anybody else even if that team is UMASS. The CAA winner will not jump SIU if UMASS doesn't win out.

DrG
October 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
You wanted some UMass representation, so here's another one:

1) UNI
2) UMass
3) SIU
4) Delaware

At the risk of sounding like a CAA homer, I could move UD up to third if they win out . . . all three games vs. CAA contenders. But I seriously doubt the four seeds would go to two conferences. As for UMass, there is still some work to be done. We haven't exactly been blowing away anybody, UNH is an intense rivalry game, and we have historically struggled at Hofstra. Should be a fun three weeks.

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM

#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 McNeese
#4 Montana

If any of the bottom three faltar I can see a 1 loss SIU sliding into a seed before anybody else even if that team is UMASS. The CAA winner will not jump SIU if UMASS doesn't win out.

don't be so sure.. if Delaware finishes 10-1.. with wins over Navy and two likely playoff teams.. JMU and Richmond.. the Hens would look pretty good to the selection committee.. both from football and financial considerations.

GannonFan
October 30th, 2007, 11:44 AM

#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 McNeese
#4 Montana

Gotta agree with the other poster - if (and it's a big if as there are 3 big games to play) UD wins out and finishes at 10-1 they would definitely be in line for a seed ahead of SIU. A lot of the time winning a conference is a huge plus when it comes to dishing out the seeds, and since UNI looks to be a lock for winning the Gateway and getting the #1 seed, SIU would be on the outside looking in if UMass and/or Delaware wins out. xthumbsupx

Ronin
October 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Based on record and schedule:

UNI
UMass
McNeese
SIU

Based on cash:

ASU
Montana
Delaware
Norfolk

stevdock
October 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM

UNI
UMass
McNeese
SIU

Based on cash:

ASU
Montana
Delaware
Norfolk

I would put them in the same order except Montana if they win out.
UNI
UMass
McNeese
Montana

I know it can't happen but where would you all put NDSU IF they were eligible and who would be knocked out if they make the top 4.

nevadagriz
October 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
First off to the griz fan that started this thread, thanks JERKxnonox
I think Appy had a thread like this a few weeks ago about how if they won out they would get a seed, and they went out and lost. So please don't jinx us griz fansxthumbsupx

I would love to see the griz go to the UNI dome for the semis and win and play delaware in the chipper! Then I woke up realized that the griz better hope for a couple home games cause this will be a very tough playoff field.
Teams like appy, wofford, delaware st., Siu,and maybe the griz not seeded and waiting to take down one of the top four teams will make for some great football. This is the year that ESPN should really jump on the FCS bandwagon and show more games than ever because these playoffs will be as good as they get.

mlbowl
October 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I know it can't happen but where would you all put NDSU IF they were eligible and who would be knocked out if they make the top 4.

Personally, I would have NDSU #1

stevdock
October 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
[ This is the year that ESPN should really jump on the FCS bandwagon and show more games than ever because these playoffs will be as good as they get.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see the teams from all over the country as we get ready to invade the playoffs next year.

bandl
October 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM

UNI
UMass
McNeese
SIU

Based on cash:

ASU
Montana
Delaware
Norfolk

Can you explain your Norfolk pick??? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

First of all, there is no 'Norfolk' in the MEAC or any other FCS conference. There is a 'Norfolk State'.
Second of all, 'Norfolk State' is probably out of playoff consideration after their loss last weekend to Howard, unless they overtake DSU for the auto-bid in the MEAC (which they could do on 11/10).

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 30th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Personally, I would have NDSU #1

Ditto...I think they're better than UNI

Next year

Ronin
October 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I would put them in the same order except Montana if they win out.
UNI
UMass
McNeese
Montana

Good question.

NDSU would be seeded in one of the top 2 spots. I would drop SIU or Montana from the seeding depending upon whose list you are looking at.

Ronin
October 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Can you explain your Norfolk pick??? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

First of all, there is no 'Norfolk' in the MEAC or any other FCS conference. There is a 'Norfolk State'.
Second of all, 'Norfolk State' is probably out of playoff consideration after their loss last weekend to Howard, unless they overtake DSU for the auto-bid in the MEAC (which they could do on 11/10).

The comparison was meant to highlight the difference between selecting teams based on merit vs selecting them on income (income = attendance). http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/attendance/iaa_attendance.html

stevdock
October 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Good question.

NDSU would be seeded in one of the top 2 spots. I would drop SIU or Montana from the seeding depending upon whose list you are looking at.

That's interesting because I would actually put them #3. NIU and UMass have played a much tougher schedule. And I would throw out UMass's loss to Boston College, especially since it was so close.

SeattleGriz
October 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM

UNI
UMass
McNeese
SIU

Based on cash:

ASU
Montana
Delaware
Norfolk

Here ya go Ronin, since you seem to be on a Montana bend about how they are an undeserving team, here some of last years highlights with McNeese and SIU. By the way, we have 19 returning starters from last years team.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_McNeese_S/um-mcneese-2006.wmv

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_Southern_/um-siu-2006.wmv

PS. No smack towards McNeese or SIU in posting these, just need some people to realize what Montana is capable of.

Black Saturday
October 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
[ This is the year that ESPN should really jump on the FCS bandwagon and show more games than ever because these playoffs will be as good as they get.

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see the teams from all over the country as we get ready to invade the playoffs next year.[/QUOTE]

Like it or not, we are step-children to the NCAA and ESPN. xconfusedx xmadx xbawlingx

mlbowl
October 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Like it or not, we are step-children to the NCAA and ESPN. xconfusedx xmadx xbawlingx

Sad, but true.

stevdock
October 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Sad, but true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the playoffs from the quarters on to championship on the ESPN network? So if that was the case then just one round was left off. Let's hope for the same this year.

mlbowl
October 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the playoffs from the quarters on to championship on the ESPN network? So if that was the case then just one round was left off. Let's hope for the same this year.

Big whoop...I'm talking about regular season recognition. I'm sure they could add some top FCS games to Gameplan. I'd much rather watch a Georgia Southern vs. App State matchup than a Kent State vs. anybody matchup.xtwocentsx

deputygrizbro
October 30th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Big whoop...I'm talking about regular season recognition. I'm sure they could add some top FCS games to Gameplan. I'd much rather watch a Georgia Southern vs. App State matchup than a Kent State vs. anybody matchup.xtwocentsx

Hell, I'd rather watch any I-AA team over a Duke game! Watching Duke play is like watching Rocky Mountain or Eastern Oregon play (NAIA)... they suck!

Peems
October 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hell, I'd rather watch any I-AA team over a Duke game! Watching Duke play is like watching Rocky Mountain or Eastern Oregon play (NAIA)... they suck!

But they will beat Notre Dame this year!!!

Blue Hen Nation
October 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Northern Iowa
McNeese State
Massachusetts
Delaware

I'd switch ZooMass with Delaware.

srgrizizen
October 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM
No smack against UMass intended, and maybe they are better than the Griz. That's not the point. But to put too much weight on the BC game is a mistake. Having seen BC twice on TV, they are easily the most overrated team in the BCS. If they played in the PAC 10, they would be under .500. It will be a travesty if they make it to the national "invitational" championship, and it will be a lousy blowout loss if they do. However, the Red Sox and Patriots are truly awesome, and maybe UMass is too, so it's a great year to be in New England.

deputygrizbro
October 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
But they will beat Notre Dame this year!!!

Touche, quagmire, touche!

Personally, I would have it:
UNI
UMass
Griz
Delaware

and just so everyone knows, BC being ranked where they are is ridiculous! They've had a pretty easy schedule thus far (Bowling Green, Army, NC State, Notre Dame). Im not taking anything away from UMass, which is why I didn't include them in the easy part since they could beat all of those teams as well. BC only has 1 (one!) convincing win over Va Tech. Other than that, they're opponents have been good, but not great. No way they deserve their ranking, other than they're undefeated and play in a good conference. Unfortunately I think BC will lose at least 1, if not 2 more games (Miami, and maybe FSU) this season and UMass will probably be affected by it.

deputygrizbro
October 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
No smack against UMass intended, and maybe they are better than the Griz. That's not the point. But to put too much weight on the BC game is a mistake. Having seen BC twice on TV, they are easily the most overrated team in the BCS. If they played in the PAC 10, they would be under .500. It will be a travesty if they make it to the national "invitational" championship, and it will be a lousy blowout loss if they do. However, the Red Sox and Patriots are truly awesome, and maybe UMass is too, so it's a great year to be in New England.

Yeah, and a BADDDDD week to be a Colorado sports fan! (except Northern Colorado Bears! good job guys, cats suck!)

Anyone see the pathetic display of secondary coverage in that one-play overtime 82 yd pass by Favre last night? Wow... talk about blown coverage. That was high school DB at its finest!

SeattleGriz
October 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM

UNI
UMass
Griz
Delaware

and just so everyone knows, BC being ranked where they are is ridiculous! They've had a pretty easy schedule thus far (Bowling Green, Army, NC State, Notre Dame). Im not taking anything away from UMass, which is why I didn't include them in the easy part since they could beat all of those teams as well. BC only has 1 (one!) convincing win over Va Tech. Other than that, they're opponents have been good, but not great. No way they deserve their ranking, other than they're undefeated and play in a good conference. Unfortunately I think BC will lose at least 1, if not 2 more games (Miami, and maybe FSU) this season and UMass will probably be affected by it.

I have to disagree on that one even being convincing. I watched it, and BC scored with about 5 seconds left in the game. On a side note, the game rained cats and dogs, so it might not have been a fair game to judge them by.

89Hen
October 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
McNeese St
Montana
N. Iowa (UNI:p )
UMass

- McNeese in the south
- Montana in the west
- UNI in the mid-west

#1 - UNI
#2 - McNeese State
#3 - UMass
#4 - Montana

1.UNI
2.Montana
3.Umass
4.McNeese

I'd have it the same as of now...

1 UNI
2 Montana
3 McNeese
4 UMass

#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 McNeese
#4 Montana

UNI
UMass
McNeese
Montana
I'm with you guys. However, I don't even like to try to guess at the actual placements... the Committee seems to have a mind of their own on that.

deputygrizbro
October 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I have to disagree on that one even being convincing. I watched it, and BC scored with about 5 seconds left in the game. On a side note, the game rained cats and dogs, so it might not have been a fair game to judge them by.

Yeah, I meant to use "convincing" lightly. What I meant is that they have only one win against a worthy opponent that is ranked in I-A. But yeah, that was a close game... sloppy as hell, both weather and play.

Saluki_man
October 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
don't be so sure.. if Delaware finishes 10-1.. with wins over Navy and two likely playoff teams.. JMU and Richmond.. the Hens would look pretty good to the selection committee.. both from football and financial considerations.

I don't see Delaware winning out, they have a very difficult closing strech(JMU, Richmond, @Nova). As much as I am going to ruffle some UD feathers, I actually see a very mad JMU team going into Newark and winning.

AlphaSigMD
October 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I agree with you, as things stand right now. But, there is a lot of time left, and crazier things have happened. Don't count the mountaineers out of a seed until all 4 of these teams are certain to finish the season at 10-1 or better. Remember, 8-3 was a 2 seed in 2005, so it has happened before. Is it likely that any of these 4 teams will lose, maybe. Montana and UMass could very easily have a loss, maybe 2 losses. UNI's pretty solid against their remaining schedule, unless they play down and lay dow. McNeese could finish undefeated as well, but slip for a second, and somebody could hang an L on them in the southland. Lets just put it this way, its more realistic that one or two teams lose a game in the last three weeks than for UNI, Montana and McNeese to ALL go undefeated, and Umass go undefeated against all the FCS.

If ASU goes 9-2, and some of these teams falter down the stretch, ASU could slide right into that seed, especially if they can somehow steal the SoCon championship, simply because of value, history, strength of the SoCon and the fact that ASU's losses were earlier in the season than these's teams possible losses.

However, as I said earlier, if these records stand up for 3 weeks, then I will agree with you 100%. Hell, if they stand for 2 weeks, I'd be very likely to agree, because that would still maintain the margin between the teams in wins and losses. No way does a 9-2 team get a seed over an undefeated team.

ChickenMan
October 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't see Delaware winning out, they have a very difficult closing strech(JMU, Richmond, @Nova). As much as I am going to ruffle some UD feathers, I actually see a very mad JMU team going into Newark and winning.

I think UD has a real shot to win out.. JMU & Richmond are at home where the Hens are difficult to beat even when mediocre and extremely difficult to beat when they are good... and this is a 'good' UD squad.

As for you predition.. we shall see.. but JMU has never done too well in Newark.. their last win in Delaware Stadium was back in 1994.

Saluki_man
October 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
As for you predition.. we shall see.. but JMU has never done too well in Newark.. their last win in Delaware Stadium was back in 1994.

All streaks must come to an end (atleast thats what I keep telling myself every time SIU goes to Cedar Falls:D ). The JMU D is very good and my gut feeling says they can stop a good Delaware O.

Purple Knight
October 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
The Griz in the top 10 really surprises me. They may win the NC, but their SOS and on-field performance puts them down around 13th. The GPI has it about right. Also look at Sagarin and Keeper's.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
The Griz in the top 10 really surprises me. They may win the NC, but their SOS and on-field performance puts them down around 13th.

You come up with that gem all by yourself? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Purple Knight
October 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
You come up with that gem all by yourself? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Not original. Like I said, look at GPI, Sagarin or Keeper's. :D :D :D :D xbeerchugx

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Not original. Like I said, look at GPI, Sagarin or Keeper's. :D :D :D :D xbeerchugx

Might as well toss all the names up in the air, or throw darts if you're gonna look at those three useless "indicators", and I use that term VERY loosely.... xoopsx

Purple Knight
October 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Might as well toss all the names up in the air, or throw darts if you're gonna look at those three useless "indicators", and I use that term VERY loosely.... xoopsx

Your reasoning is flawed, but I must give you credit for having the best Avatars I've seen on any website. :D :D :D :D

uofmman1122
October 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The Griz in the top 10 really surprises me. They may win the NC, but their SOS and on-field performance puts them down around 13th. The GPI has it about right. Also look at Sagarin and Keeper's.Wouldn't their ability to win the NC make them one of the best teams in the country?

Hey, I didn't say it...you did. xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Your reasoning is flawed, but I must give you credit for having the best Avatars I've seen on any website. :D :D :D :D

The only reasoning that's flawed is the so-called "logic" that goes into the computer models.

The same type of logic that says Ohio State is the #1 team in FBS, despite playing absolutely NOONE. xpeacex

mlbowl
October 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
The only reasoning that's flawed is the so-called "logic" that goes into the computer models.

The same type of logic that says Ohio State is the #1 team in FBS, despite playing absolutely NOONE. xpeacex

uhhhh.....and Boston College #2

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
uhhhh.....and Boston College #2

Oh, yeah. Them too. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Purple Knight
October 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I said 'may'. This year, they are not as overpowering as in the past. Who cares about what was expected of them preseason. It just has not happened. Don't blame you for going with the polls which have the Griz up there. If the GPI had you rated #1, you would be singing their praises. You are probably a little concerned about this years team too. Or should be.

uofmman1122
October 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
If the GPI had us at #1 right now, they would do away with the GPI.

And of course we're concerned about our team. I don't know anyone who isn't, unless that someone's team has no chance of making the playoffs....

Oh....

Too soon?

Petrie Dish
October 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM

UNI
UMass
Griz
Delaware

Considering all of the talk about Montana's easy schedule and ranking, this post is pretty ironic.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I said 'may'. This year, they are not as overpowering as in the past. Who cares about what was expected of them preseason. It just has not happened. Don't blame you for going with the polls which have the Griz up there. If the GPI had you rated #1, you would be singing their praises. You are probably a little concerned about this years team too. Or should be.

Less concerned every week. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Purple Knight
October 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
If the GPI had us at #1 right now, they would do away with the GPI.

And of course we're concerned about our team. I don't know anyone who isn't, unless that someone's team has no chance of making the playoffs....

Oh....

Too soon?

You are right about us. We are off the charts and I don't know when we will be back. Some of our supporters (jocks) don't think we have any problems. Why we are at 3 and 5, instead of 5 and 3, they have not said. They just keep stating that the coaches know more than we fans do and I would hope so. But the question is, 'do they know more than the other coaches?'.

UMass922
October 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Haven't noticed that, no.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Haven't noticed that, no.

But how do we know you really exist?xlolx