PDA

View Full Version : SoCon jumble

GSU Eagle
October 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
3 weeks are let and there are still 5 SoCon teams within striking distance of a conference championship and a playoff bid

Elon has 1 loss in conference
Wofford has 1 loss in conference
Ga. Southern has 2 losses in conference
Appalachian St. has 2 losses in conference
Citadel has 2 losses in conference

Of those 5 teams in contention:
Elon has beaten GSU and Wofford and lost to Appalachian
Wofford has beaten Appalachian and Citadel and lost to Elon
GSU has beaten Appalachian and Citadel and lost to Elon
Appalachian has beaten Elon and lost to GSU and Wofford
Citadel has beaten none of the other 4 and lost to GSU and Wofford

It seems very possible that there will be 4 SoCon teams still standing at the end of the year with 8-3 or better records. The real question then is will the committee take 3 at-large entrants from the same conference?

Let's take these teams 1 by one:
Elon has 3 games left (at Furman, at Citadel, and home vs. Stony Brook). It would seem very likely they will end at 8-3 or better. They would have to lose 2 of the last 3 to fall under the 8-3 mark.

Wofford still has Georgia Southern at home and at Chattanooga left. They would have to lose both of these to fall under the 8-3 mark-- not likely.

Georgia Southern still has 3 games left: at Wofford, home vs. Furman and at Colorado St. To fall under 8-3 they would have to lose 2 of these. That is a possibility. This coming weekend's game vs. Wofford is a huge game. Win that and it would seem very likely GSU will finish at least 8-3.

Appalachian St. has 3 games left: at Citadel and home vs. Western Carolina and home vs. Chattanooga. They too would have to lose 2 of these to fall under 8-3, and I don't see that happening.

Citadel: Citadel has 3 games left: home vs. Appalachian, home vs. Elon at at VMI. Since they already have 3 losses it would seem their chances of staying 8-3 or better would not be as good as the other 4.

So it looks very right now for at least 3 SoCon teams in the playoffs and a fair chance at 4.

KiddBrewer
October 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
so who do you think gets in?

walliver
October 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I think it would be possible for 5 teams to finish 8-3. I know the NCAA won't take 5 teams.

eaglesrthe1
October 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
The Citadels chances took a serious turn for the worse if their QB misses any playing time at all. Any update from Citadel fans on his status?

GSU Eagle
October 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think Citadel is the one who is out. IMO Citadel has to beat Appalachian St. Saturday to keep their hopes alive.

If I had to call it right now I have Elon winning the autobid and Wofford, GSU and Appalachian St. in as at-larges.

It would be interesting to see if GSU gets in if we lose to Wofford and end the year with wins over Furman and Colorado St. I think this Saturday's game at Wofford is a huge game for us this coming Saturday.

KiddBrewer
October 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
So, do you think its reasonable for all of those 5 teams to think that if they win out, they are in?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
So, do you think its reasonable for all of those 5 teams to think that if they win out, they are in?

No because the CAA will probably have at LEAST five teams with 8+ wins. And even though I think they should in such a situation, I don't think all eight AL bids will go to CAA and Socon teams.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
If it comes down to Elon or Wofford not winning the SoCon and a 4 way tie for first, then I have to say the logical choices are App, Wofford and GSU.

You make more $$$ with App and GSU and the selection committee goes with recent history rather than what seem like one hit wonders for one season. Wofford wins that one.

Biff
October 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
By my calculations, we need to win out, and hope for Elon, GSU, and Wofford to lose somewhere.

So ... I think the goal our boys need stay focused on is our first winning season in 10 years (win one of the next three). Then continue building the program. The playoffs would be great, but we aren't in the drivers seat.

lizrdgizrd
October 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
By my calculations, we need to win out, and hope for Elon, GSU, and Wofford to lose somewhere.

So ... I think the goal our boys need stay focused on is our first winning season in 10 years (win one of the next three). Then continue building the program. The playoffs would be great, but we aren't in the drivers seat.
How about this: lose this week and win your last two? Sounds pretty good to me. xsmiley_wix

JDC325
October 29th, 2007, 10:26 AM
so who do you think gets in?

You want to flip the coin or should I...:p

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
That is why this is still the best conference in the nation.

Elon should win out... BUT they still have Furman to deal with and even though their playsoffs are done with, they still play with alot of pride and heart. The Phoenix should be on upset alert for this one.

As far as GSU and Wofford... Well I would like to see GSU pull this one out just make things a little more messy at the top.

Apps handle your business and you will be there at the end.

Death Dealer
October 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Well, they can't all win out can they? (since they play each other at some point, right?)

Millwoch
October 29th, 2007, 11:58 AM
The Citadels chances took a serious turn for the worse if their QB misses any playing time at all. Any update from Citadel fans on his status?

Higgins said today at the noon press conf. that he is doubtful. He is getting an MRI this pm...Bart Blanchard will most likely be the starter(Redshirt Freshman)..Tall kid with strong arm(stronger than Duran) but less of a run threat. I still think you will see a good number of Qb draws to keep the Lbs honest saturday.

GoldandBlack
October 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Higgins said today at the noon press conf. that he is doubtful. He is getting an MRI this pm...Bart Blanchard will most likely be the starter(Redshirt Freshman)..Tall kid with strong arm(stronger than Duran) but less of a run threat. I still think you will see a good number of Qb draws to keep the Lbs honest saturday.

I hate hearing that- I'd like to see the best of both teams compete in this game, especially this year.:(

appfan2008
October 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM
my guess is three teams get in... asu wofford and gsu... i think elon will slip up as well as tc and i dont think the conference gets more than 3

trusty
October 29th, 2007, 12:10 PM

That is a shame, the kid is a great player. I hope everything turns out for the best and he can play this weekend.

GaSouthern
October 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM
We will know ALOT about the conference after this week!

trusty
October 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM
my guess is three teams get in... asu wofford and gsu... i think elon will slip up as well as tc and i dont think the conference gets more than 3

I agree, I think SOCON will have 3, Woffy and App are in there, the other spot will go to Elon, GSU, maybe El Cid. Out of these 3 who knows. I know GSU is going to have a hard road to travel these last 3 games. It would be nice to make the playoffs, but I am also very happy we have doubled our wins from last year.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
We will know ALOT about the conference after this week!

Very true. If GSU looses, and the loser of ASU/Citadel is probably done.

SoCon48
October 30th, 2007, 04:08 AM
If it comes down to Elon or Wofford not winning the SoCon and a 4 way tie for first, then I have to say the logical choices are App, Wofford and GSU.

You make more $$$ with App and GSU and the selection committee goes with recent history rather than what seem like one hit wonders for one season. Wofford wins that one.

In a tie, for the auto-bid, they go by who has gone the longest without winning the auto-bid. That would be Wofford or Elon. Question would be does Elon not being in the conf that long count or not.

SoCon48
October 30th, 2007, 04:11 AM

The conference decides the auto-bid, not the selection committee.

gophoenix
October 30th, 2007, 05:04 AM
The conference decides the auto-bid, not the selection committee.

All of that was assuming we don't get that autobid.

Are you use the conference gives it to whoever went longest without it? Even with us not being in the conference that would fall to us (though that is as stupid as a coin flip too).

Wofford went in 2003
GSU 2005
App 2006
The Citadel 1992
Elon never

So yeah, that would be interesting. And would probably be a point of contention between a ton of fans.

CamelCityAppFan
October 30th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Well, they can't all win out can they? (since they play each other at some point, right?)

No, all 5 that are being discussed cannot win out. BUT for ASU, Elon and Wofford, winning out means 3 teams from the SoCon finish with 9-2 overall records. Most years, SoCon fans (regardless of team affiliation) are pretty pleased with a 9-2 record-- to have 3 in the conference this year would be pretty amazing, IMHO.

How likely is it?

ASU has El Cid on the road, Western, and UTC at home. If the Apps take care of business this weekend against the Bulldogs, I really like the chances of closing out the season with 2 home wins.

Wofford has Georgia Southern at home, UTC on the road, and bye in the final week. So they have a tough opponent at home, and then UTC (whom they should beat, but don't let the Mocs catch you napping-- they'll bite you if you're not careful).

Elon has Furman and El Cid on the road, closes with Stoney Brook at home. I think Elon has the toughest road to travel if they are going to win out.

terrierbob
October 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
No, all 5 that are being discussed cannot win out. BUT for ASU, Elon and Wofford, winning out means 3 teams from the SoCon finish with 9-2 overall records. Most years, SoCon fans (regardless of team affiliation) are pretty pleased with a 9-2 record-- to have 3 in the conference this year would be pretty amazing, IMHO.

How likely is it?

ASU has El Cid on the road, Western, and UTC at home. If the Apps take care of business this weekend against the Bulldogs, I really like the chances of closing out the season with 2 home wins.

Wofford has Georgia Southern at home, UTC on the road, and bye in the final week. So they have a tough opponent at home, and then UTC (whom they should beat, but don't let the Mocs catch you napping-- they'll bite you if you're not careful).

Elon has Furman and El Cid on the road, closes with Stoney Brook at home. I think Elon has the toughest road to travel if they are going to win out.

Is Stoney Brook FCS?

CamelCityAppFan
October 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Is Stoney Brook FCS?

I dunno. I thought it was a pre-school in Charlotte...

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
As a SoCon outsider, I feel they will get three teams. Elon would have to lose to both Furman and The Cidatel (possible on the road), but I expect them to take one of those two in order to get to 8-3. The Stony Brook game at home, while no cakewalk, should be enough to get them in.

Wofford just needs to win one of their remaining two to be in, and since I expect them to knock GSU off, I think they'll be in after this week, too. App St. is in, also.

Georgia Southern is going to need to upset either @Wofford or @Colorado State if they want to get in the field, and I don't see either as likely. Similarly, The Citadel having to win out would be quite a challenge in this conference, no matter who you play.

So, in summary, barring unforeseen circumstances (particularly, Elon losng to someone they shouldn't or GSU knocking off Wofford), I expect Elon, ASU and Wofford to represent the SoCon.

gophoenix
October 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Is Stoney Brook FCS?

Yes, ex-NEC school that dropped out to offer the full 63 scholarships. Will be Big South next year. The school is a SUNY school.

gasouthern01
October 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
As a SoCon outsider, I feel they will get three teams. Elon would have to lose to both Furman and The Cidatel (possible on the road), but I expect them to take one of those two in order to get to 8-3. The Stony Brook game at home, while no cakewalk, should be enough to get them in.

Wofford just needs to win one of their remaining two to be in, and since I expect them to knock GSU off, I think they'll be in after this week, too. App St. is in, also.

Georgia Southern is going to need to upset either @Wofford or @Colorado State if they want to get in the field, and I don't see either as likely. Similarly, The Citadel having to win out would be quite a challenge in this conference, no matter who you play.

So, in summary, barring unforeseen circumstances (particularly, Elon losng to someone they shouldn't or GSU knocking off Wofford), I expect Elon, ASU and Wofford to represent the SoCon.

That is exactly the way I see it shaping us as well. Of course I am hoping we can beat Wofford this weekend though. I have a feeling GSU will finish at 7-4 and look back at the UTC loss as the one that cost us the playoffs. Hope I am wrong!

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Up in New Hampshire, I'm remiss we don't see more of the SoCon teams. All three of GSU/Wofford, Furman/Elon and Citadel/App St. should be fantastic, fantastic games. Though, I'll be happy if I can catch a bit of the UD/JMU or Nova/UR games, as both of those will also be good.

I haven't seen GSU play since UNH beat them in the playoffs 3 years ago, but I wish them the best of luck.

jonmac
October 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yes, ex-NEC school that dropped out to offer the full 63 scholarships. Will be Big South next year. The school is a SUNY school.

A SUNY school in the Big SOUTH? Boy, don't let Citdog get wind of this.xeekx

gasouthern01
October 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Did you make that GSU/UNH game 3 years ago or watch it on TV? That was a heck of a downpour we had for that game. You would even recognize the GSU offense anymore, it's amazing how quickly things can change. You are right, lots of big big games this weekend all over FCS.

gophoenix
October 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Didn't get the memo???? Big South means the Big "South of the Canadian Border"

:D

Seawolf97
October 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Yeah- you will recognize us when we show up with our Carpet Bags on the 17thxlolx xlolx

lizrdgizrd
October 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM

Didn't get the memo???? Big South means the Big "South of the Canadian Border"

:D

Yeah- you will recognize us when we show up with our Carpet Bags on the 17thxlolx xlolx

This time it's OUR turn to carpetbag! xsmashx

Kill'em
October 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think both App St and Georgia Southern must win out to have a chance, especially, Georgia Southern. Elon and Wofford might be able to withstand another loss. I don't see the NCAA taking four teams from the SoCon or any con(ference). There would be some really deserving teams that might be left out.

BULLDOG8180
October 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM
That is why this is still the best conference in the nation.

Elon should win out... BUT they still have Furman to deal with and even though their playsoffs are done with, they still play with alot of pride and heart. The Phoenix should be on upset alert for this one.

As far as GSU and Wofford... Well I would like to see GSU pull this one out just make things a little more messy at the top.

Apps handle your business and you will be there at the end.

THe Citadel will not lose to Elon at Home!

lizrdgizrd
October 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
Don't count on it. xnonox

SuperEagle
October 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM

just curious as to why you feel it would be so unlikely for my Eagles to beat Wofford or CSU? Sure they'll be big road games but if we beat either one I wouldn't consider it a huge upset. We beat App on the road, played Elon to double OT and have done pretty well away from Paulson. I think you could argue that Boone is a tougher place to play than Wofford wouldn't you? Now we could lose both convincingly, but I still think this team can pull at least 1 of them out.

ehop
October 31st, 2007, 10:32 AM

Hey, Wofford said the same thing, too! xsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
I think both App St and Georgia Southern must win out to have a chance, especially, Georgia Southern. Elon and Wofford might be able to withstand another loss. I don't see the NCAA taking four teams from the SoCon or any con(ference). There would be some really deserving teams that might be left out.

GSU probably does not need to win out - we just need to win 2. And the committee has put in 4 teams from 1 conference at least three times that I can think of off of the top of my head.

And what's this about GSU not being able to beat Colorado State? I don't know how many of you have actually been following their season, but they may actually be the easiest remaining game on our schedule.

Death Dealer
October 31st, 2007, 11:58 AM
GSU probably does not need to win out - we just need to win 2. And the committee has put in 4 teams from 1 conference at least three times that I can think of off of the top of my head.

And what's this about GSU not being able to beat Colorado State? I don't know how many of you have actually been following their season, but they may actually be the easiest remaining game on our schedule.

They may very well be. FU/GSU is notoriously tough for the favored team.

thirdgendin
November 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
In a tie, for the auto-bid, they go by who has gone the longest without winning the auto-bid. That would be Wofford or Elon. Question would be does Elon not being in the conf that long count or not.

That has never been the case when Furman was in a tie with another school, and I can't ever recall that being used as a determining factor before. I'm pretty sure the tiebreaker goes with head-to-head results first.

pete4256
November 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

There's no way GSU gets in with three conference losses. We may get in by going 8-3 if the loss is to Colorado State.

appstate38
November 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
There's no way GSU gets in with three conference losses. We may get in by going 8-3 if the loss is to Colorado State.

Eagles I am hoping you guys aren't assuming a loss to Colorado State. If anything, this has been a banner year for the FCS, why not close it out that way.

pete4256
November 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
[/B]

Eagles I am hoping you guys aren't assuming a loss to Colorado State. If anything, this has been a banner year for the FCS, why not close it out that way.

I'm not assuming a loss. I'm saying that for the purposes of the playoff committee, that's the only game we can possibly lose and still get a bid. No Socon team with three conference losses gets in this year. Even losing to CSU to go 8-3 might put us on the outside looking in.

No matter the situation, we're not gonna take a L in that game by pulling starters. No matter what happens, we'll probably play for a victory in Fort Collins (couldn't say the same in years past; we'd already clinched by that last OOC game. Then again, most of our second teams would've beaten CSU). I'm gonna love watching Foster go for about 200+ on those boys. :D

straightshooter
November 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I don't think that anyone is assuming that GSU will lose to Colorado State. One thing is for sure. Coach Hatcher doesn't think they're going to lose. He goes into every game expecting to win. and he has a way of getting his players to believe they're going to win. Maybe that's why he's 83-14. No matter how bad things might get, Hatcher's philosophy is "find a way to win." GSU is one questionable penalty and one fumble from 8-0.

pete4256
November 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
I don't think that anyone is assuming that GSU will lose to Colorado State. One thing is for sure. Coach Hatcher doesn't think they're going to lose. He goes into every game expecting to win. and he has a way of getting his players to believe they're going to win. Maybe that's why he's 83-14. No matter how bad things might get, Hatcher's philosophy is "find a way to win." GSU is one questionable penalty and one fumble from 8-0.

By that token, we're also a miracle field goal and a fumbled punt away from 4-4.

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
The Colorado St game could mean more than anyone realizes. If the conference has so many teams jumbled together at the end of the season, the selection committe will need to find ways to select of eliminate teams . Thee CSU game could be the deciding factor of whether or not Georgia Southern gets in.

Of course, this is moot if we don't beat Wofford then Furman.

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM

I think the CAA (A-10) and/or the Gateway have had four.

GaSouthern
November 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
The next to weeks are going to give me an ulcer from all the stress. :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM

Says who? New Hampshire got into the playoffs last year with 3 conference losses. We also got into the playoffs in '95 with three conference losses.

Baldy
November 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Says who? New Hampshire got into the playoffs last year with 3 conference losses. We also got into the playoffs in '95 with three conference losses.
Exactly...the only 8-3 Georgia Southern team that didn't make the playoffs was the 1984 team. If GSU finishes 8-3, we will be playing come Thanksgiving weekend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Here are (what I consider to be) the most possible scenarios among the four teams that are currently tied

Scenario 1:
GSU defeats Furman
ASU defeats WCU
Elon defeats The Citadel
Wofford defeats UTC
ASU defeats UTC (November 17th)
Result: Elon gets the AQ with wins over Wofford and GSU and beating GSU in the head-to-head, 4 half of the Socon shares the championship

Scenario 2:
Furman Defeats GSU :(
ASU defeats WCU
Elon defeats The Citadel
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: ASU, Elon, and Wofford all have the same record. It's a three-way tie. The AQ will be decided on a coin toss.

Scenario 3:
ASU defeats WCU
The Citadel defeats Elon
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: Wofford and ASU tie, and Wofford gets the AQ in the SoCon

Scenario 4:
GSU defeats Furman
ASU defeats WCU
The Citadel defeats Elon
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: GSU, Wofford, and ASU tie...GSU gets the AQ

Scenario 5
Scenario 1 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU, GSU, and Elon tie...it's a three-way tie.

Scenario 6
Scenario 2 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU and Elon tie...ASU gets the AQ

Scenario 7
Scenario 3 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU is the sole champ and the AQ

Scenario 8
Scenario 4 with UTC defeating Wofford
GSU and ASU tie, GSU gets the AQ

OL FU
November 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Here are (what I consider to be) the most possible scenarios among the four teams that are currently tied

Scenario 1:
GSU defeats Furman
ASU defeats WCU
Elon defeats The Citadel
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: Elon gets the AQ with wins over Wofford and GSU and beating GSU in the head-to-head, 4 half of the Socon shares the championship

Scenario 2:
ASU defeats WCU
Elon defeats The Citadel
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: ASU, Elon, and Wofford all have the same record. It's a three-way tie. The AQ will be decided on a coin toss.

Scenario 3:
ASU defeats WCU
The Citadel defeats Elon
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: Wofford and ASU tie, and Wofford gets the AQ in the SoCon

Scenario 4:
GSU defeats Furman
ASU defeats WCU
The Citadel defeats Elon
Wofford defeats UTC
Result: GSU, Wofford, and ASU tie...GSU gets the AQ

Scenario 5
Scenario 1 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU, GSU, and Elon tie...it's a three-way tie.

Scenario 6
Scenario 2 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU and Elon tie...ASU gets the AQ

Scenario 7
Scenario 3 with UTC defeating Wofford
ASU is the sole champ and the AQ

Scenario 8
Scenario 4 with UTC defeating Wofford
GSU and ASU tie, GSU gets the AQ

Not doubting you but is that really the way a four way tie works - Elon gets the AQ.

IS that because only GSU and Elon beat two of the three other co-champs?

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Here is the link to this week's SoCon football Press Release. Scroll down to page 2 and it describes the tie-breaker format.

http://www.soconsports.com/pdf2/94533.pdf?ATCLID=1178393&SPSID=31927&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Here is the link to this week's SoCon football Press Release. Scroll down to page 2 and it describes the tie-breaker format.

http://www.soconsports.com/pdf2/94533.pdf?ATCLID=1178393&SPSID=31927&SPID=1781&DB_OEM_ID=4000

It's "among competition with the highest placed team not in the tie". It does not say if that involves score or just winning. It also doesn't say what happens if there is a tie right below the teams involved in the tie for first.

gophoenix
November 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
It's "among competition with the highest placed team not in the tie". It does not say if that involves score or just winning. It also doesn't say what happens if there is a tie right below the teams involved in the tie for first.

Tie breaker moves to the next highest team not in the tie. If tied there, the next. If tied there, the next. All the way down to the bottom. If still tied, then it hits another method (which escapes me). But right now, it is not possible to have it not broken based off the next highest team, whether it is The Citadel, Elon, Wofford, GSU or App in that spot.

The coin toss only happens when there is no other tie breaker. Like when three teams run the table and only lose to each other.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Yes- what if Elon / App / Wof all win, and GSU loses to Furman.

Then Elon / App / Wof are all 1-1 head-to-head.

And GSU and Furman would then be tied for 4th. Wouldn't Furman hold the edge over GSU for 4th because they would've beaten GSU.

Then if Furman is 4th- APP & WOF beat Furman and Elon lost to Furman, and WOF beat APP. Wouldn't WOF then get the Auto-bid.

** Correct me if I'm wrong. **

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM

And GSU and Furman would then be tied for 4th. Wouldn't Furman hold the edge over GSU for 4th because they would've beaten GSU.

Then if Furman is 4th- APP & WOF beat Furman and Elon lost to Furman, and WOF beat APP. Wouldn't WOF then get the Auto-bid.

I'm not sure. It says the seeds are worked from highest down so it could be Wof due to h2h with App if Furman is 4th or Elon if GSU is 4th.

8.4.5 - In all cases, seeding is done by resolving the higher seeds first and working down.

Or it could be a 3-way tie and be decided on a coin flip if GSU and Furman are tied and that tie isn't resolved first.

appmountaineer
November 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I can't wait for Saturday...it will clear a lot of this mess up

gophoenix
November 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Hmm. That's a good question. I've only read about the tie-breakers for first place and it going through the standings. I haven't read about the tiebreakers under 1st place. So I am not sure if they go for head to head against themselves (In this case Furman would be 1-0, GSU 0-1) or if it goes for head to head against the 3 tied first place teams (in which GSU would be 2-1 and Furman would be 1-2).

So yeah, that's a great question. Because 5 teams are involved directly in the tie-breaker scenario potentially, it really makes the possibilities too hard to track.

CID1990
November 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
There is a possibility for quite a few SoCon teams to be 4-3 after this weekend.

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Here are the SoCon tiebreaker rules - thanks to Elon Fightin' Christians for the link.

8.0 Tie-Breaker Policy
8.1 Regular season champions are the teams posting the best win-loss percentage or points (soccer) against Conference opponents.

8.2 In the event of identical percentages, preference is given to the team playing the most conference games.

8.3 Co-champions are declared if teams post identical records.

8.4 Seeding. The following are the conference’s tie-breaking criteria unless otherwise noted in each respective set of sport regulations

8.4.1 - In the event of a tie, the first tiebreaking decision is based on head to head competition. If one team has defeated the other teams in head to head competition, preference is given to the winner of the competition.

8.4.2 - In the event of multiple ties, preference is given to the team with the best record against the tied teams during regular season competition.

8.4.3 - If a tie still remains, competition against the highest placed team not involved in the tie.

8.4.4 - If a tie still remains, the process is continued from highest placed team down until the tie is broken.

8.4.5 - In all cases, seeding is done by resolving the higher seeds first and working down.

8.4.6 - If a tie cannot be resolved as described above, the Commissioner will have a coin toss.

Cage Free, Farm Fresh
November 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I tell you what I'd like to see:

Furman beat GSU
Chatt beat Wofford
Citadel beat Elon
Either WCU or Chatt beat ASU

Thus, creating a 6 way tie for 1st place in the SOCON

OL FU
November 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Furman beat GSU
Chatt beat Wofford
Citadel beat Elon
Either WCU or Chatt beat ASU

Is that really possiblexeekx

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Furman 2-3 beat GSU 4-2 => FU 3-3, GSU 4-3
Chatt beat Wofford 4-2 => WC 4-3
Citadel 3-3 beat Elon 4-2 => Cit 4-3, Elon 4-3
Either WCU or Chatt beat ASU 3-2 => ASU 4-3

Is that really possiblexeekx
The above results plus FU beats WCU would make it a 6-way tie for 1st. xnodx xeekx

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
The above results plus FU beats WCU would make it a 6-way tie for 1st. xnodx xeekx
So here would be the losses:

ASU : WC, GSU and UTC or WCU
Cit : WC, GSU and ASU
EC : ASU, FU and Cit
FU : WC, Cit and ASU
GSU : UTC, EC and FU
WC : EC, GSU and UTC
UTC : Cit, FU and EC

I'm not sure how to determine head-to-head for 7 different teams. xdizzyx

GoldandBlack
November 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM

On the bright side, everyone would get a volume discount for their 2007 Championship flag.xchinscratchx xnutsx

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
So here would be the losses:

ASU : WC, GSU and UTC
Cit : WC, GSU and ASU
EC : ASU, FU and Cit
FU : WC, Cit and ASU
GSU : UTC, EC and FU
WC : EC, GSU and UTC
UTC : Cit, FU and EC

I'm not sure how to determine head-to-head for 7 different teams. xdizzyx
Hm...All 7 would have wins over 3 of the tied teams. And every one of them would have beaten the next team down: WCU. xconfusedx

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hm...WC, GSU, ASU all have wins over 3 of the tied teams. The others only 2. So would that mean that GSU would get the AQ because they beat ASU and WC? xconfusedx

Wouldn't UTC also be 4-3 if they beat WOF and APP.....

Thus making it a 7-way tie

appfan2008
November 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM

that all seems way to far fetched for me as asu will beat both utc and wcu and make all of this a mute point!!!

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM

xoopsx You're right! xeekx xbawlingx

Let me go back and look at that again. xnonono2x

lizrdgizrd
November 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
that all seems way to far fetched for me as asu will beat both utc and wcu and make all of this a mute point!!!
Yes, it will be a moot point in a few weeks. xnodx

CID1990
November 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I predicted that WCU would piss on somebody's parade before the season is out. I still think that will happen, and it looks like everyone has dodged the bullet except for ASU. I'll stick with my prediction for now.

OL FU
November 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM

WCU has to beat ASU. It ain't possiblexrolleyesx

OL FU
November 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I predicted that WCU would piss on somebody's parade before the season is out. I still think that will happen, and it looks like everyone has dodged the bullet except for ASU. I'll stick with my prediction for now.

I hope you are wrong because they get two chances. FU is their last gamexnodx

CID1990
November 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I forgot about Furple. Maybe GSU will, too.

lizrdgizrd
November 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Actually, WCU doesn't have to beat ASU, Chatty does. If so, then it's a 7 way tie for 1st (given all that other stuff). xnodx

ButlerGSU
November 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
App fans are mighty cocky, I sure would hate to see your playoff hopes ruined...

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
App fans are mighty cocky, I sure would hate to see your playoff hopes ruined...

After last year, we aren't taking anything for granted. We won't count our eggs before they HATCH...

AshevilleApp
November 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM

The Jug stays in Boone.....

james_lawfirm
November 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I would hate to see App's playoff hopes ruined too.

As to the "cocky" fans, perhaps a quote from Dizzy Dean (vintage Dodgers pitcher) is in order. He said "it ain't braggin' if ya' done it." Or something close to it.

I guess the point is App fans are used to winning for the last two seasons, just like GaSo fans have been for many years.

And for the record, this App fan would LOVE to see Wofford or GaSo again this year. In Boone, y'all are always welcome, but even somewhere else, I'd be there.

james_lawfirm
November 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hmm. That's a good question. I've only read about the tie-breakers for first place and it going through the standings. I haven't read about the tiebreakers under 1st place. So I am not sure if they go for head to head against themselves (In this case Furman would be 1-0, GSU 0-1) or if it goes for head to head against the 3 tied first place teams (in which GSU would be 2-1 and Furman would be 1-2).

So yeah, that's a great question. Because 5 teams are involved directly in the tie-breaker scenario potentially, it really makes the possibilities too hard to track.

I think you then flip a five sided coin, or play rock-paper-scissors, or something.

Eaglesrus
November 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't count on that too much.

Kill'em
November 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Trust me, I won't and I guarantee Coach Hatcher won't, either.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I think the Furples know their post-season hopes were ruined weeks ago, and their goal now is to ruin the playoff hopes of as many opponents as possible. They did their part to knock Elon down a notch, and have their sights set on the Eagles...

ButlerGSU
November 8th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Just from reading interviews Hatcher knows his job is to 1) Win the conference, and get into the playoffs 2) Beat Furman and App State.

One of the goals has already been met...

Death Dealer
November 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Trust me, I won't and I guarantee Coach Hatcher won't, either.
Forget us or not, we're coming to play.xnodx Your boys better tighten their straps. The outcome of this game is far from a forgone conclusion and I predict will be a war of attrition.xnodx

Death Dealer
November 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Just from reading interviews Hatcher knows his job is to 1) Win the conference, and get into the playoffs 2) Beat Furman and App State.

One of the goals has already been met...Well, half of one of his goals anyway.xrolleyesx

ab4app
November 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=ButlerGSU;727624]App fans are mighty cocky, I sure would hate to see your playoff hopes ruined...[/QUOT

Not all app fans, just the ones who havent been around very long. I think it looks so bad when our fans get cocky and arrogantxnonox , it is really just asking for trouble . So from one not so cocky app fan, I appologize for all of the little Jr Mountaineers who might not know betterxnonox , please dont let them make you think all App fans are like that. Most of us arent like that at all. Sorry, just dont wanna be mis-represented (is that a word or just a word in my headxlolx )

blueballs
November 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I think the Furples know their post-season hopes were ruined weeks ago, and their goal now is to ruin the playoff hopes of as many opponents as possible. They did their part to knock Elon down a notch, and have their sights set on the Eagles...

That is correct... and the shoe has been on the other foot in our rivalry with Furman as recent as 2003. We hosted them on a raw November day with GSU being 6-4 and FU having 3 losses but still alive for a playoff spot.

Jermaine Austin came back from a sprained knee that had laid him low for a couple of games and had a monster day, Chaz Williams had the best game of his injury plagued year and GSU won a tight one in Statesboro that effectively knocked the purps out of the playoff picture.

I don't care to see history repeated in reverse this Saturday.

If anybody in blue thinks we're going to get anything except Furman's best shot this Saturday they're delusional. Whoever wins this one will earn it... I just hope the SoCon refs let the players decide the outcome.

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM

One of the goals has already been met...

Well, half of one of his goals anyway.xrolleyesx

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

appfan2008
November 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=ButlerGSU;727624]App fans are mighty cocky, I sure would hate to see your playoff hopes ruined...[/QUOT

Not all app fans, just the ones who havent been around very long. I think it looks so bad when our fans get cocky and arrogantxnonox , it is really just asking for trouble . So from one not so cocky app fan, I appologize for all of the little Jr Mountaineers who might not know betterxnonox , please dont let them make you think all App fans are like that. Most of us arent like that at all. Sorry, just dont wanna be mis-represented (is that a word or just a word in my headxlolx )

i am not saying i am personally all that cocky but is it a bad thing? dont we have a reason (or a couple of reasons) to be?

just throwing that out there

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

ASU still has a mountain-sized bulls-eye on their chest for being the defending national champs (since December 2005) and for beating Michigan. After seeing how they played Elon and Wofford I wouldn't say a win is guaranteed. If ASU shows up to play then they should win by 14.

Death Dealer
November 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM
That is correct... and the shoe has been on the other foot in our rivalry with Furman as recent as 2003. We hosted them on a raw November day with GSU being 6-4 and FU having 3 losses but still alive for a playoff spot.

Jermaine Austin came back from a sprained knee that had laid him low for a couple of games and had a monster day, Chaz Williams had the best game of his injury plagued year and GSU won a tight one in Statesboro that effectively knocked the purps out of the playoff picture.

I don't care to see history repeated in reverse this Saturday.

If anybody in blue thinks we're going to get anything except Furman's best shot this Saturday they're delusional. Whoever wins this one will earn it... I just hope the SoCon refs let the players decide the outcome.Tell me about it! I have been going to games and bitching about the SOCON refs for over 20 years, but this year has undoubtedly been the worst I have ever seen.xnonono2x

Kill'em
November 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Forget us or not, we're coming to play.xnodx Your boys better tighten their straps. The outcome of this game is far from a forgone conclusion and I predict will be a war of attrition.xnodx

Believe me, there is too much riding on this game for the team to not be prepared. Here they are:
1) It's Georgia Southern-Furman (This is enough by itself)
2) This would finally exorcise The VanGorder Debacle
3) Share of SoCon Championship for Georgia Southern
4) Playoffs for Georgia Southern
5) Seniors last game, not just Foster.

Trust me, we will be ready. This will be a low-scoring game and not for sissies. There will be some hitting going on from both sides.

ab4app
November 8th, 2007, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=ab4app;728403]

i am not saying i am personally all that cocky but is it a bad thing? dont we have a reason (or a couple of reasons) to be?

just throwing that out there

we sure do, but its not like we are the only ones to ever win the NC , i believe our eagle friends have done it a few more times then we have, along with a lot of other teams.Sure we have been rollin these past few years, and we came really close for a long time before now, I just think we should maintain more of an underdog mentality for every game, being cocky is only gonna get us knocked back down, at least wait until we get 3, then there is a little something to be said, if that happens.xeyebrowx xnodx

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Believe me, there is too much riding on this game for the team to not be prepared. Here they are:
1) It's Georgia Southern-Furman (This is enough by itself)
2) This would finally exorcise The VanGorder Debacle
3) Share of SoCon Championship for Georgia Southern
4) Playoffs for Georgia Southern
5) Seniors last game, not just Foster.

Trust me, we will be ready. This will be a low-scoring game and not for sissies. There will be some hitting going on from both sides.

Why do you always bold southern? Check a map, GSU isn't even IN south Georgia. xreadx

Also, I do find it amusing that a lot of GSU fans say "I hope the refs don't have a part in the game." Sounds like some old excuses already bubbling up xsmiley_wix

Gonna be a great game. I hope both teams come out ready to play. Furman has a bunch of seniors and I doubt the crowd is going to nag them too much, they've been there, done that. Just gotta execute and get some defense going.

ASUdrummer
November 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
ASU still has a mountain-sized bulls-eye on their chest for being the defending national champs (since December 2005) and for beating Michigan. After seeing how they played Elon and Wofford I wouldn't say a win is guaranteed. If ASU shows up to play then they should win by 14.

If we show up to play we win by 14?! Are you serious...No offense to the WCU guys but if we only win by 14 IN BOONE then we didn't show up to play. If we "show up to play" I expect it to be done by halftime. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant; just realistic.

lizrdgizrd
November 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM
If we show up to play we win by 14?! Are you serious...No offense to the WCU guys but if we only win by 14 IN BOONE then we didn't show up to play. If we "show up to play" I expect it to be done by halftime. Not trying to be cocky or arrogant; just realistic.
I fully expect the game to look like it's done at halftime. Ask Wofford how well that actually works with WCU though. xnonox

T-Dogg
November 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Lizrdgizrd......my thoughts exactly. My beloved Terriers were up 37-3 at the half and were being blasted by the announcers for running up the score. THEN.......second half.......O' my!!!

WCU has some good players. ASU should win but there are no guarantees in SoCon football.

CID1990
November 9th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I fully expect the game to look like it's done at halftime. Ask Wofford how well that actually works with WCU though. xnonox

WCU did the same thing to us and Elon, as well. Their offense has a lot of juice, it just takes them time to get it revved up.

lizrdgizrd
November 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
WCU did the same thing to us and Elon, as well. Their offense has a lot of juice, it just takes them time to get it revved up.
I'm counting on it taking too long. xthumbsupx

Kill'em
November 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Why do you always bold southern? Check a map, GSU isn't even IN south Georgia. xreadx

Also, I do find it amusing that a lot of GSU fans say "I hope the refs don't have a part in the game." Sounds like some old excuses already bubbling up xsmiley_wix

Gonna be a great game. I hope both teams come out ready to play. Furman has a bunch of seniors and I doubt the crowd is going to nag them too much, they've been there, done that. Just gotta execute and get some defense going.

I wondered when someone would ask me that. It has to do with my hatred of the university of georgia. That's why I emphasize the southern. And thanks for the 411 on southern not being in the southern part of the state. It is actually in the southeast part. I know this because I have lived in the area for over 30 years. You could write the school president, Dr Bruce Grube, and see if he will change the name of the school to Georgia Southeastern.
I promise we won't say anything about the refs if Bobby Lamb won't. And for God's sake, please tell him to NOT kick anymore trash cans over. We like OUR HOUSE to be clean. ;)

GSUhooligan
November 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Um. Macon is the parallel that is used to dissect the state, and we're south of that (its called the Macon-Dixon line). Granted, there's a good bit of state between us and Florida, but there's a lot more state between us and Tennessee or NC.