PDA

View Full Version : Premature Woof-er-ation

AlphaSigMD
October 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I know its early. Very early. But, with 3 games left to be played, who's your pick for the team that will be Woffed this year?

Mine: Elon

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't see how any team from the Socon or CAA with 8 or more wins will not get in. If I had to bet, I'd say it would be either Delaware State or Norfolk State, who will likely be deciding the MEAC championship on November 10th.

Peems
October 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I know its early. Very early. But, with 3 games left to be played, who's your pick for the team that will be Woffed this year?

Mine: Elon

So who do you have beating Elon, because currently they have the auto bid...

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Hofstra...though some might say they should be woofed. But an 8-3 CAA team not getting in qualifies as a woof.

walliver
October 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Like my Terrier Brethren, I feel if the T-Dawgs don't win out (beating GSU and Chatty) we will return to the role we created.

If Citadel beats Elon and ASU, and GSU beats Wofford, there could be 5 SoCon teams at 8-3 - and a whole lot of woofing going on.xnodx

bcrawf
October 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I find it fascinating that with the Gateway's addition of NDSU and SDSU that from now on we may be looking at 3 leagues splitting all 8 at-large spots on a yearly basis...

Its not going to be easy being an at-large contender outside of the SoCon, CAA, and Gateway... I would love to see a scenario in which the Big Sky merged with the Great West. That would give you an absolutely dominate league in all four regions and be really fun for fans and really rough for coaches...

UMass922
October 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hofstra...though some might say they should be woofed. But an 8-3 CAA team not getting in qualifies as a woof.

My guess is that an 8-3 Hofstra will not get in, unless it beats UMass in the season finale. But obviously it will also depend on how many other teams around the country play themselves into or out of consideration.

AlphaSigMD
October 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
So who do you have beating Elon, because currently they have the auto bid...

They still have to play at furman and at the citadel, with a mop up game against somebody at home...i can't remember who.

I'll echo what I said in a previous post, and say that Elon now has a target on their back, something that they have NEVER had before in the socon.

Whats in Elon's favor: They had a week against a scrappy UTC team that is up and down in any given week. They were expected to win, and they took care of business on homecoming.

What's in Elon's favor 2: Its unsure what the QB situation is right now in Charleston, SC. If Duran Lawson is ok, then I expect that Elon will have a much more difficult time.

What's not in Elon's favor: playing away at both Charleston and Greenville. Rough road for ASU, rough road for Elon.

Whats not in Elon's favor 2: name recognition, and history. Say the SoCon plays out, and Elon is 8-3. ASU could be 9-2, Either Wofford or GSU will likely 9-2 with the other at 8-3. So ASU, Wofford, GSU are in the mix with Elon. Elon, doesn't have big 3, or even big 4 status. Hell, that last thing that Elon did of consequence was win the NAIA national championship back in 1980. It is my suspicion that if ASU is 9-2, Wofford is 8-3 they will be in. GSU will have to win at both furman and wofford to get into the playoffs. If so, they will also be 8-3, with a loss to Colorado State. If they can wax 1-win colorado state, then 9-2, or 8-3 if they lose to wofford. So, if they lose to wofford, they must win at Colorado state to be playoff bound. Regardless. ASU 9-2 (maybe 8-3), Elon 8-3 (maybe 7-4), Wofford 8-3 (maybe 9-2), GSU 8-3, (maybe 9-2). If they it ends this way, then all will have 2 SoCon losses, and I think the tiebreaker is a coinflip. But, If Elon doesn't win the conference, I think their playoff hopes are in jeopardy at 8-3, which is likely where they will end up when all is said and done. Yes, even though they own head to head victories over Wofford and GSU.

blur2005
October 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
They still have to play at furman and at the citadel, with a mop up game against somebody at home...i can't remember who.

I'll echo what I said in a previous post, and say that Elon now has a target on their back, something that they have NEVER had before in the socon.

Whats in Elon's favor: They had a week against a scrappy UTC team that is up and down in any given week. They were expected to win, and they took care of business on homecoming.

What's in Elon's favor 2: Its unsure what the QB situation is right now in Charleston, SC. If Duran Lawson is ok, then I expect that Elon will have a much more difficult time.

What's not in Elon's favor: playing away at both Charleston and Greenville. Rough road for ASU, rough road for Elon.

Whats not in Elon's favor 2: name recognition, and history. Say the SoCon plays out, and Elon is 8-3. ASU could be 9-2, Either Wofford or GSU will likely 9-2 with the other at 8-3. So ASU, Wofford, GSU are in the mix with Elon. Elon, doesn't have big 3, or even big 4 status. Hell, that last thing that Elon did of consequence was win the NAIA national championship back in 1980. It is my suspicion that if ASU is 9-2, Wofford is 8-3 they will be in. GSU will have to win at both furman and wofford to get into the playoffs. If so, they will also be 8-3, with a loss to Colorado State. If they can wax 1-win colorado state, then 9-2, or 8-3 if they lose to wofford. So, if they lose to wofford, they must win at Colorado state to be playoff bound. Regardless. ASU 9-2 (maybe 8-3), Elon 8-3 (maybe 7-4), Wofford 8-3 (maybe 9-2), GSU 8-3, (maybe 9-2). If they it ends this way, then all will have 2 SoCon losses, and I think the tiebreaker is a coinflip. But, If Elon doesn't win the conference, I think their playoff hopes are in jeopardy at 8-3, which is likely where they will end up when all is said and done. Yes, even though they own head to head victories over Wofford and GSU.
I think they'll end up 8-3 but manage to be selected, unless Cal Poly goes 8-3 or Western Illinois; in either case, Elon could get woofed.

danefan
October 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM

The mop up game is against Stony Brook on 11/17.

ElonPride
October 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hell, that last thing that Elon did of consequence was win the NAIA national championship back in 1980.

You know Elon was 9-2 the firsts year in I-AA ('99) and was snubbed from the playoffs that year. We beat two conference champs that year (Furman and strong NC A&T). I would say that was the last thing we did of consequence before this season......

Poly Pigskin
October 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I think they'll end up 8-3 but manage to be selected, unless Cal Poly goes 8-3 or Western Illinois; in either case, Elon could get woofed.

Even if Cal Poly managed to win out, I think Elon would get the nod because they have beaten a few good teams, and our only notable win would be NDSU (which looks unlikely to even happen). I would give 8-3 WIU the nod over 8-3 Elon, but that would be a very close call. It depends a lot on how their respective conferences shake out.

bluehenbillk
October 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'd say Hofstra or JMU.

Syntax Error
October 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
The mop up game is against Stony Brook on the 11/17.Whoops! :)

jonmac
October 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM

So...many...numbers...my head hurts. xbowx

Good post though. I just want the apps to win out. That's all I 'm concerned about. Let all the other chips fall where they will.

ngineer
October 28th, 2007, 08:55 PM

You have a valid point. However, their HC Lembo is a well-known quantity. He was the I-AA Coach of the Year when he took over Lehigh and went undefeated in his first year and won a first round playoff game. His 2004 Lehigh team lost by one point to the NCAA Champion, JMU, on a controversial goal line stand referee call. He's taken a perennial loser and in two years has them near the top of the SoCon. With HIS record, and not Elon's, the Committee may well give Elon the nod in recognition of a tremendous turnaround.

terrierbob
October 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM
You know Elon was 9-2 the firsts year in I-AA ('99) and was snubbed from the playoffs that year. We beat two conference champs that year (Furman and strong NC A&T). I would say that was the last thing we did of consequence before this season......

was Elon an independent then?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Were you guys eligible back then? I don't know when the eligibility rule took effect. I do know that GSU was able to play in the playoffs in their second year in IAA/FCS.

AlphaSigMD
October 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM

I can go along with that. Well played.

FCS Go!
October 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
IIRC Elon was eligible that year.

AlphaSigMD
October 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
You have a valid point. However, their HC Lembo is a well-known quantity. He was the I-AA Coach of the Year when he took over Lehigh and went undefeated in his first year and won a first round playoff game. His 2004 Lehigh team lost by one point to the NCAA Champion, JMU, on a controversial goal line stand referee call. He's taken a perennial loser and in two years has them near the top of the SoCon. With HIS record, and not Elon's, the Committee may well give Elon the nod in recognition of a tremendous turnaround.

I agree. Lembo is a good coach. I just don't know if its going to be enough. Trust me, I'll be plenty happy if Elon gets into the playoffs.xthumbsupx

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM

YES !!! We got screwed big time that year.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Were you guys eligible back then? I don't know when the eligibility rule took effect. I do know that GSU was able to play in the playoffs in their second year in IAA/FCS.

Back then the rule was a 2 year transition for whatever reason and 5 year for basketball (unless you played football). But D-II requirements then were different too.

Elon was basically the first team left out according to the media. Had Florida A&M not cheated that year, we would have been in. A&T was the #16 team and beat Tennessee State.

I still remember it all too vividly and remember being put out beyond recognition by the way it all panned out. The next year we were 7-4, still beating a top 15 A&T.

But that year we were 9-2 beating ranked Furman, A&T and Samford and losing close games to ranked Western Illinois and Hofstra. But we had two D-II games against D-II playoffs teams that year. And that hurt us more than anything I think.