35T
Yale Bulldogs

Most Significant Win:
UC Davis Aggies

Most Significant Loss:
Idaho Vandals

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 11:44 AM
This week's AGS poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-11-top-25-results-4/

A few thoughts:

This could've been called the "Top 24" this week - I don't think I've ever seen so few points for #25 or such a massive gap between #24 and #25.
12 of the top 25 are from the Big Sky and CAA - you want to take a guess why the bubble is looking so tough this year???
UC Davis might be the scariest #23 team this late in the season I've ever seen - I don't think anyone wants to play them right now (after this week they'll have played 4 of the top 6 teams in the current AGS Top 25). I highly doubt there are 22 FCS teams better than they are.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
It seems like the AGS Poll the week before the final one always does pretty good at hitting the field of playoffs but I think there is a good chance UC Davis takes Sac down and climbs in, and might knock Montana off the perch if we lose to the Cats.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 12:04 PM
My crack at it this week:

1: Sac State Hornets
2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
3: Montana State Bobcats
4: North Dakota State Bison
5: Samford Bulldogs
6: Weber State Wildcats
7: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: William & Mary Tribe
9: Holy Cross Crusaders
10: Furman Paladins
11: Richmond Spiders
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: Chattanooga Mocs
14: New Hampshire Wildcats
15: Elon Phoenix
16: Mercer Bears
17: Jackson State Tigers
18: UC Davis Aggies
19: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
20: Idaho Vandals
21: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
22: Fordham Rams
23: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
24: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
25: Abilene Christian Wildcats

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 12:04 PM
Someone who is voting Mercer there -- explain to me.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Someone who is voting Mercer there -- explain to me.
Talked about it in the playoff prognostication thread but I view them similarly to Montana or Jackson St - no questionable losses (or no losses at all for JSU) and they've tended to dominate their lesser opponents as you'd expect teams in that range of the poll to do.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Talked about it in the playoff prognostication thread but I view them similarly to Montana or Jackson St - no questionable losses (or no losses at all for JSU) and they've tended to dominate their lesser opponents as you'd expect teams in that range of the poll to do.

Sure. Why are they ahead of SELA, UNH or Idaho, who all have qins over playoff contenders?

dewey
November 14th, 2022, 12:12 PM

I would agree. Plus Mercer's only losses are @ FBS Auburn, @ current #14 Chattanooga and #10 Furman. If Mercer wins at current #8 Samford they are in. Lose and I think they are squarely on the bubble.

I ranked Mercer where I did based on how they did against Chattanooga and specifically Furman.

Dewey

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Having some issues with Wordpress right now so can't get the article published but will update this post accordingly when I do.

A few thoughts:

This could've been called the "Top 24" this week - I don't think I've ever seen so few points for #25 or such a massive gap between #24 and #25.
12 of the top 25 are from the Big Sky and CAA - you want to take a guess why the bubble is looking so tough this year???
UC Davis might be the scariest #23 team this late in the season I've ever seen - I don't think anyone wants to play them right now (after this week they'll have played 4 of the top 6 teams in the current AGS Top 25). I highly doubt there are 22 FCS teams better than they are.

I'm glad we got Davis when we did. They were coming off another close loss to a top 5 team a may have been a bit demoralized and it was a late game (8:15pm local time) and bad weather. MSU D-lineman and former Army Ranger Devin Slaughter's awesome pregame speech contributed for sure. "In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather and WE HAVE ****ING BOTH! No one wants to fight in that ****. But guess what... that's when the freaks come out! (https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjTBzgYIHgC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link)" **** was fire!

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Sure. Why are they ahead of SELA, UNH or Idaho, who all have qins over playoff contenders?
Personally, I have UNH in front of Mercer. SLU I have behind them because of a bad loss to TAMU-Commerce and the fact that Mercer has played a tougher schedule overall. You may be right about Idaho - I felt the need to rank Idaho below UC Davis based on the thorough beatdown UC Davis put on Idaho in Moscow but I maybe should've ranked both in front of Mercer. We'll see how things go next week and in playoffs and I'll adjust accordingly.

You can't discount all wins vs non-playoff contenders - some of them are certainly better than others. Despite both teams being 5-5 I think Mercer's dominating wins over Western Carolina and Gardner-Webb (who is technically a playoff contender) are impressive.

SDFS
November 14th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Personally, I have UNH in front of Mercer. SLU I have behind them because of a bad loss to TAMU-Commerce and the fact that Mercer has played a tougher schedule overall. You may be right about Idaho - I felt the need to rank Idaho below UC Davis based on the thorough beatdown UC Davis put on Idaho in Moscow but I maybe should've ranked both in front of Mercer. We'll see how things go next week and in playoffs and I'll adjust accordingly.

You can't discount all wins vs non-playoff contenders - some of them are certainly better than others. Despite both teams being 5-5 I think Mercer's dominating wins over Western Carolina and Gardner-Webb (who is technically a playoff contender) are impressive.

I get the struggle on rankings, but Gardner-Webb - 4 D-1 wins - 61 Campbell, Char So - 87, Bryant - 90, Robert Morris - 124. The Big South level of play this year is down. The fifth win is against something called "Limestone".

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 12:38 PM
I get the struggle on rankings, but Gardner-Webb - 4 D-1 wins - 61 Campbell, Char So - 87, Bryant - 90, Robert Morris - 124. The Big South level of play this year is down. The fifth win is against something called "Limestone".
I'm not really sold on Gardner-Webb either but they played 3 very good G5 FBS teams and darn near pulled out wins in 2 of them. I think that's inflating their Massey/Sagarin ratings right now. We'll see if it's a mirage or not when they play NC A&T, who is riding a 7 game winning streak, this Saturday.

SpreadTheWord
November 14th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Haven't received my e-mail submission yet for my top 25 poll but here's mine.

1. Sacramento State
2. South Dakota State
3. Montana State
4. Incarnate Word (yes, I'm a little biased ;))
5. Samford
6. Weber State
7. North Dakota State
8. UC Davis
9. Furman
10. William & Mary
11. Richmond
12. Chattanooga
13. Idaho
14. Montana
15. Elon
16. Holy Cross
17. Jackson State
18. Mercer
19. North Dakota
20. Southeast Missouri State
21. Delaware
22. Southeastern Louisiana
23. New Hampshire
24. Fordham
25. Abilene Christian

atthewbon
November 14th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Your vote is listed below.

1: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Sac State Hornets
5: Samford Bulldogs
6: Holy Cross Crusaders
7: William & Mary Tribe
8: Weber State Wildcats
9: Incarnate Word Cardinals
12: Jackson State Tigers
13: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
14: Montana Grizzlies
15: Chattanooga Mocs
16: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
17: UC Davis Aggies
18: Idaho Vandals
19: Mercer Bears
20: New Hampshire Wildcats
21: Elon Phoenix
22: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
23: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
24: Abilene Christian Wildcats
25: Fordham Rams

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 01:12 PM

I'm not really sold on Gardner-Webb either but they played 3 very good G5 FBS teams and darn near pulled out wins in 2 of them. I think that's inflating their Massey/Sagarin ratings right now. We'll see if it's a mirage or not when they play NC A&T, who is riding a 7 game winning streak, this Saturday.

I somewhat agree, especially with you Professor about G-W, but, I find it interesting to see huge love for UC Davis, elsewhere here, who has lots of losses to good teams, but only suspicion, in a few threads, for G-W with very close loses to as good as or better G5 teams than the FCS teams UC Davis has lost to. At least according to Massey rankings. And another close loss to Elon. Not saying G-W is better than UC Davis, just pointing out the inconsistency in logic when it comes to weighing the loses for each. G-W also, according to Massey, has the #32 schedule. That's not bad. For what's it's worth, I think G-W will take A&T easily.

WileECoyote06
November 14th, 2022, 01:19 PM

Interestingly enough, Limestone qualified for the D2 football playoffs yesterday.

atthewbon
November 14th, 2022, 01:30 PM
I might be guilty of this too but I find the resumes of Abilene Christian, Mercer, and Montana very interesting. All 3 are 7-3 with no quality wins (UND beat Abilene Christian by 3). Abilene Christian has a "bad" loss in Stephen F Austin and North Dakota has a "bad" loss in SIU but these four teams have very different rankings. While I don't think all of these teams should be ranked right next to each other they probably should be closer than they are. While I would personally rank these teams UND, Montana, Mercer, Abilene Christian. I think it shows Abilene Christian is being overlooked.

Montana 12
Losses: Idaho (20), Sac st (2), Weber st (6)
Best wins: Portland st, Northwestern st, South Dakota?

North Dakota 16
Losses: Nebraska(FBS), SIU(NR), SDSU(1)
Best Wins: Abilene Christian(30), Youngstown St, Northern Iowa

Mercer 17
Losses: Auburn(FBS), Furman(10), Chattanooga(14)
Wins: Gardner-Webb, ETSU, Western Carolina

Abilene Christian 30
Losses: Missouri(FBS), Stephen F Austin(NR), North Dakota(16)
Wins: Sam Houston, Utah Tech, Tarleton?

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 01:34 PM
I somewhat agree, especially with you Professor about G-W, but, I find it interesting to see huge love for UC Davis, elsewhere here, who has lots of losses to good teams, but only suspicion, in a few threads, for G-W with very close loses to as good as or better G5 teams than the FCS teams UC Davis has lost to. At least according to Massey rankings. And another close loss to Elon. Not saying G-W is better than UC Davis, just pointing out the inconsistency in logic when it comes to weighing the loses for each. G-W also, according to Massey, has the #32 schedule. That's not bad. For what's it's worth, I think G-W will take A&T easily.
I would agree that Gardner-Webb and UC Davis were pretty similar until this week. UC Davis showed with their win @Idaho that the close losses to top teams weren't flukes... Gardner-Webb has yet to prove that with an actual win and I'm not even sure they can prove that with a win against NC A&T - in the playoffs they could though.

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 01:39 PM
I would agree that Gardner-Webb and UC Davis were pretty similar until this week. UC Davis showed with their win @Idaho that the close losses to top teams weren't flukes... Gardner-Webb has yet to prove that with an actual win and I'm not even sure they can prove that with a win against NC A&T - in the playoffs they could though.

Yeah, I guess I get it. I'm not trying to compare the two to each other though. Just highlighting that they have no bad losses, only close ones to very good teams. That they had 3 FBS games is crazy.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I guess I get it. I'm not trying to compare the two to each other though. Just highlighting that they have no bad losses, only close ones to very good teams. That they had 3 FBS games is crazy.
I really dislike it when teams schedule multiple FBS games. I know why it has to be done - bills need to be paid yadda yadda - but the fewer FCS vs FCS non-conference games there are the tougher it is to judge teams from different conferences against each other.

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 01:54 PM
I really dislike it when teams schedule multiple FBS games. I know why it has to be done - bills need to be paid yadda yadda - but the fewer FCS vs FCS non-conference games there are the tougher it is to judge teams from different conferences against each other.

Or like it's hard to judge teams in certain FCS conferences who don't play one, or two, or more of the top half teams in their own conference? Hmmm. LOL.

AggiePride
November 14th, 2022, 01:57 PM

kdinva
November 14th, 2022, 01:59 PM
Or like it's hard to judge teams in certain FCS conferences who don't play one, or two, or more of the top half teams in their own conference? Hmmm. LOL.

This is why the CAA needs to seriously break into two conferences (8 teams in one, 7 in the other) in the next 2-3 years, play full round robin, and each get an auto-bid. Big Sky is almost as large.

F'N Hawks
November 14th, 2022, 02:15 PM
I might be guilty of this too but I find the resumes of Abilene Christian, Mercer, and Montana very interesting. All 3 are 7-3 with no quality wins (UND beat Abilene Christian by 3). Abilene Christian has a "bad" loss in Stephen F Austin and North Dakota has a "bad" loss in SIU but these four teams have very different rankings. While I don't think all of these teams should be ranked right next to each other they probably should be closer than they are. While I would personally rank these teams UND, Montana, Mercer, Abilene Christian. I think it shows Abilene Christian is being overlooked.

Montana 12
Losses: Idaho (20), Sac st (2), Weber st (6)
Best wins: Portland st, Northwestern st, South Dakota?

North Dakota 16
Losses: Nebraska(FBS), SIU(NR), SDSU(1)
Best Wins: Abilene Christian(30), Youngstown St, Northern Iowa

Mercer 17
Losses: Auburn(FBS), Furman(10), Chattanooga(14)
Wins: Gardner-Webb, ETSU, Western Carolina

Abilene Christian 30
Losses: Missouri(FBS), Stephen F Austin(NR), North Dakota(16)
Wins: Sam Houston, Utah Tech, Tarleton?

ACU was very impressive when they came to GF. Well coached team. Had some talented guys too. I think their conference affiliation kills them with SOS, so it drops them in rankings.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 02:32 PM
That's true but quite a bit easier than teams from different conferences because they'll always have a bunch of common opponents in that case.

KPSUL
November 14th, 2022, 03:03 PM
I would agree. Plus Mercer's only losses are @ FBS Auburn, @ current #14 Chattanooga and #10 Furman. If Mercer wins at current #8 Samford they are in. Lose and I think they are squarely on the bubble.

I ranked Mercer where I did based on how they did against Chattanooga and specifically Furman.

Dewey If Mercer loses to Samford they are left with no viable argument for playoff selection.

crusader11
November 14th, 2022, 03:10 PM
If Mercer loses to Samford they are left with no viable argument for playoff selection.

Agree. There are four clear examples to me of "win and in" and "lose and out" -- UNH, Chattanooga, Mercer, and UC Davis. It's hard to see any of these teams losing this week and still finding their way into the field.

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2022, 03:12 PM

TAMU-Commerce has been a fairly competent team this year, still not a "good" loss but not all that bad either. To me the Lions' performance against Jacksonville State outweighs the game against TAMU-Commerce though. The Gamecocks have pretty well manhandled every team that's been bouncing in and out of the polls this year, beating SFA by 25, Austin Peay by 24, and EKU by 25. SLU flipped the script and beat JSU by 17. That and being the only team to take down #5 Incarnate Word had them pushing for a top 15 spot in my poll this week.

KPSUL
November 14th, 2022, 03:12 PM
This is why the CAA needs to seriously break into two conferences (8 teams in one, 7 in the other) in the next 2-3 years, play full round robin, and each get an auto-bid. Big Sky is almost as large.

That seems to be what everyone is in favor of doing and is likely what will happen. However, it will come with its own problems as well. The 7 team conference/division will result in only 6 teams to play annually. That will result in every bit as much the luck of the draw in selecting the two opponents for your out of conference/division games. Also there will be times when there is not parity between the two divisions.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 03:16 PM
As I understand it, Delaware and Villanova don't want to be separated or associated with the dreaded CAA North moniker.

KPSUL
November 14th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Agree. There are four clear examples to me of "win and in" and "lose and out" -- UNH, Chattanooga, Mercer, and UC Davis. It's hard to see any of these teams losing this week and still finding their way into the field.

Sorta, but not really the same situation for the 4 teams. UC Davis needs to slay a ginormous dragon at the top of a steep hill and will unquestionably deserve to be "in" in the unlikely they can do it. UNH and Chatty just need to hold serve against a couple of teams they "should" beat. Mercer has nothing of value to show for their current 7-3 record and will need to beat the best team in their conference Saturday. And the scenario you create here is probably remiss in not mentioning another five or six other teams that could trip over their own feet and find themselves on the outside looking in come Sunday November 20th.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 03:33 PM
TAMU-Commerce has been a fairly competent team this year, still not a "good" loss but not all that bad either. To me the Lions' performance against Jacksonville State outweighs the game against TAMU-Commerce though. The Gamecocks have pretty well manhandled every team that's been bouncing in and out of the polls this year, beating SFA by 25, Austin Peay by 24, and EKU by 25. SLU flipped the script and beat JSU by 17. That and being the only team to take down #5 Incarnate Word had them pushing for a top 15 spot in my poll this week.
That's true, I forgot about SLU's win over Jacksonville St. I'm still not buying the loss to Commerce being "not that bad" though. Commerce is 2-5 vs D1 teams outside of that game with bona fide bad losses to Tennessee Tech and Nicholls. Still I probably need to re-evaluate SLU in my poll in light of two very good wins over UIW and Jax St that could trump their bad loss.

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 03:40 PM
That's true, I forgot about SLU's win of Jacksonville St. I'm still not buying the loss to Commerce being "not that bad though". Commerce is 3-5 vs D1 teams with bona fide bad losses against Tennessee Tech and Nicholls. I know SLU's QB was out but he doesn't play defense and they gave up nearly 500 yards to Commerce. Still I probably need to re-evaluate SLU in my poll in light of two very good wins over UIW and Jax St that probably should trump their bad loss.

I'm very leery of transitioning teams being at their best. There is a phycological factor at work there. Look at App St and Ga So after they announced. We beat them like a red headed step child. And that should not have been. It's like none of them put out much because they were waiting to move. Not saying they are lazy, but they don't want to blow their shot at FBS. Maybe the coach is red shirting more than normal, who knows. There is definitely something at work there. SHSU as well. Can't tell me they are as bad as they have played.

NY Crusader 2010
November 14th, 2022, 03:56 PM

The opportunity to spearhead America East Football is there....if the New England members want it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2022, 04:12 PM
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Sac State Hornets
5: Weber State Wildcats
6: Holy Cross Crusaders
7: William & Mary Tribe
8: Incarnate Word Cardinals
9: Furman Paladins
10: Samford Bulldogs
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Jackson State Tigers
14: Elon Phoenix
15: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
16: Montana Grizzlies
17: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
18: Mercer Bears
19: Fordham Rams
20: New Hampshire Wildcats
21: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
22: Princeton Tigers
23: St. Francis Red Flash
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: UC Davis Aggies

Go Lehigh TU owl

The Most Significant Win: Richmond Spiders
The Most Significant Loss: Youngstown State Penguins
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 06:00 PM
There's a few things I don't understand with this poll and most polls, but I first want to take up the torch for Southeastern Louisiana, who, IMO, is being colossally underrated. Thanks to the poster who brought this to my attention.

Southeastern Louisiana might have two of the best FCS wins in the country. Not only do they have the only win over #5 Incarnate Word this season [keep in mind that #1-3 are undefeated in FCS play, and #4's only FCS loss is to #1, so it's probably by definition the second best win in the country. They also have a top 10 win on the season over Jacksonville State [by 17 points!] -- this is the same Jacksonville State that has wins over SFA [by 25], Austin Peay [by 24] and EKU [by 25]. I am guilty of this with this team, but IMO this team is being woefully slept on due to a loss to TAMU, which looks a lot worse based on the fact they've run out of gas this season. I think the two quality wins should be holding this team up far more than they are.

My general issues with this poll:

1. How the hell is Sac State not #1? They have a 31 point FBS win and 3 wins over teams in the top 20 of the FCS poll.
2. Why the hell is Montana 12th? If Montana was named "Rhode Island" and their resume included 0 wins over a team with a winning record, they sure as hell wouldn't be 12th.
3. Mercer's best win is over Gardner Webb. Here are teams ranked behind them with better wins this season: UNH, Idaho, Delaware, SELA, UC Davis, URI, NC Central.

--

Because I don't vote or missed the early votes, obviously I'm not voting every week, but I would share that here's how I WOULD vote were I allowed to do so:

1. Sacramento State [undefeated, 31 point FBS win, wins over three top 20 FCS teams]
2. South Dakota State [undefeated in FCS, win @ NDSU]
3. Montana State [undefeated in FCS, win at home against Weber State, 17 point win over a very good 6-4 UC Davis team]
4. William & Mary [one loss this season against 8-3 Elon; FBS win over Charlotte, top 25 wins over Rhode Island, Delaware]
5. Samford [Good wins on the road over Furman and Chattanooga; held Georgia to 33 points, undefeated against FCS]
6. North Dakota State [close loss to #2 SDSU; close loss to FBS Arizona. Bunch of decentish wins in the MVFC, but really nothing as good as the wins above; NCAT win might be decent too]
7. Southeastern Louisiana [find me a team with two wins as good as JSU and UIW; sure, TAMUCC loss is not great, but wins are wins]
8. Elon [great win over WM, great win over Richmond; quality win over Delaware]
9. Incarnate Word [put up 64 points against SIU, 55 against Nevada in wins; lost to SELA]
10. Weber State [Don't really have any significant wins in BSC; great FBS win over Utah State, good win over UC Davis]
11. Furman [pounded Mercer; beat Chattanooga as well]
12. Holy Cross [good win over Buffalo, good win over Fordham; hard to know what to make of wins over Merrimack, Harvard, Yale, but they're not bad]
13. Richmond [10 point win over playoff bound St. Francis, wins over Delaware, UNH, competitive game against Virginia]
14. Delaware [fantastic FBS win over Navy, good win over Rhode Island]
15. UNH [quality wins over Rhode Island, Elon]
16. Austin Peay [good win over SEMO, good win over EKU]
17. EKU [Beat SEMO as Austin Peay did, lost to Austin Peay, but beat FBS Bowling green]
18. North Dakota [Decent wins over 6-4 YSU, 7-3 Abilene Christian, 5-5 Northern Iowa]
19. Rhode Island [Quality win over Elon, close losses to UNH, WM]
20. UC Davis [ridiculous schedule; finally got a good win over Idaho]
21. Idaho [Win over Montana, competitive in losses to Sac State/Weber State]
22. Chattanooga [20 point win over Mercer their loan quality win of date]
23. SEMO [decentish wins over SIU and UCA]
24. Mercer [Potential win over Big South Conf champion GW]
25. Fordham [9 DI wins, close losses to HC, Ohio]

Others that merited consideration [Jackson State [no good wins, played no one]; FAMU [no good wins, played no one]; Abilene Christian [7 DI wins, really haven't beaten anyone]; Montana [7 DI wins, 3 close losses to good teams], NCAT.

--

My thoughts after doing this exercise: What the hell is Montana doing with that rating? That resume sucks. The ASun quietly has some sneaky deserving teams between EKU and APEAY. Chattanooga's resume is entirely dependent on Mercer holding up. The OVC is garbage. SEMO looks a LOT softer than I remember. Their best win is over SIU, and they lost to both ASUN playoff competitors.

The CAA has a lot of good wins and is underrated in voting.

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2022, 06:52 PM
There's a few things I don't understand with this poll and most polls, but I first want to take up the torch for Southeastern Louisiana, who, IMO, is being colossally underrated. Thanks to the poster who brought this to my attention.

Southeastern Louisiana might have two of the best FCS wins in the country. Not only do they have the only win over #5 Incarnate Word this season [keep in mind that #1-3 are undefeated in FCS play, and #4's only FCS loss is to #1, so it's probably by definition the second best win in the country. They also have a top 10 win on the season over Jacksonville State [by 17 points!] -- this is the same Jacksonville State that has wins over SFA [by 25], Austin Peay [by 24] and EKU [by 25]. I am guilty of this with this team, but IMO this team is being woefully slept on due to a loss to TAMU, which looks a lot worse based on the fact they've run out of gas this season. I think the two quality wins should be holding this team up far more than they are.

1. How the hell is Sac State not #1? They have a 31 point FBS win and 3 wins over teams in the top 20 of the FCS poll.
2. Why the hell is Montana 12th? If Montana was named "Rhode Island" and their resume included 0 wins over a team with a winning record, they sure as hell wouldn't be 12th.
3. Mercer's best win is over Gardner Webb. Here are teams ranked behind them with better wins this season: UNH, Idaho, Delaware, SELA, UC Davis, URI, NC Central.

--

Because I don't vote or missed the early votes, obviously I'm not voting every week, but I would share that here's how I WOULD vote were I allowed to do so:

1. Sacramento State [undefeated, 31 point FBS win, wins over three top 20 FCS teams]
3. Montana State [undefeated in FCS, win at home against Weber State, 17 point win over a very good 6-4 UC Davis team]
4. William & Mary [one loss this season against 8-3 Elon; FBS win over Charlotte, top 25 wins over Rhode Island, Delaware]
5. Samford [Good wins on the road over Furman and Chattanooga; held Georgia to 33 points, undefeated against FCS]
6. North Dakota State [close loss to #2 SDSU; close loss to FBS Arizona. Bunch of decentish wins in the MVFC, but really nothing as good as the wins above; NCAT win might be decent too]
7. Southeastern Louisiana [find me a team with two wins as good as JSU and UIW; sure, TAMUCC loss is not great, but wins are wins]
9. Incarnate Word [put up 64 points against SIU, 55 against Nevada in wins; lost to SELA]
10. Weber State [Don't really have any significant wins in BSC; great FBS win over Utah State, good win over UC Davis]
12. Holy Cross [good win over Buffalo, good win over Fordham; hard to know what to make of wins over Merrimack, Harvard, Yale, but they're not bad]
13. Richmond [10 point win over playoff bound St. Francis, wins over Delaware, UNH, competitive game against Virginia]
17. EKU [Beat SEMO as Austin Peay did, lost to Austin Peay, but beat FBS Bowling green]
18. North Dakota [Decent wins over 6-4 YSU, 7-3 Abilene Christian, 5-5 Northern Iowa]

Others that merited consideration [Jackson State [no good wins, played no one]; FAMU [no good wins, played no one]; Abilene Christian [7 DI wins, really haven't beaten anyone]; Montana [7 DI wins, 3 close losses to good teams], NCAT.

--

My thoughts after doing this exercise: What the hell is Montana doing with that rating? That resume sucks. The ASun quietly has some sneaky deserving teams between EKU and APEAY. Chattanooga's resume is entirely dependent on Mercer holding up. The OVC is garbage. SEMO looks a LOT softer than I remember. Their best win is over SIU, and they lost to both ASUN playoff competitors.

SIU is mentioned as a decent win for 2 teams, not NDSU. LOL

Who are the lot of good wins by the CAA out of conference? Charlotte and Navy............

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 06:55 PM

Who are the lot of good wins by the CAA out of conference? Charlotte and Navy............

Literally said, "decentish" all three times SIU is mentioned.

Gil Dobie
November 14th, 2022, 06:58 PM
Literally said, "decentish" all three times SIU is mentioned.

Sorry, didn't see SIU in the NDSU line.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 07:00 PM

You'll have a hard time finding many great wins in general OOC for any team because it's risky to schedule them.

St. Francis by Richmond is going to look like a quality win. Elon beat the same Gardner Webb that is the only thing keeping Mercer ranked.

We're calling that worlds behind UC Davis and Abilene Christian?

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2022, 07:02 PM
The unfortunate fact on this board is that the CAA is woefully underrepresented compared to the BSC and MVFC on this board. It's unfortunate but it clearly impacts poll voting when things like Montana at #12 are still going on.

Still the best poll by a country mile, but bias is still bias.

It's been that way since I've been following FCS since 2004.

topher99
November 14th, 2022, 07:18 PM
What do you have to do to become a poll voter?

Preferred Walk-On
November 14th, 2022, 07:47 PM

--

--

One cannot ask “How the hell is Sac State not #1?” and two sentences later ask “Why the hell is Montana 12th?” Well, they can, but seems a bit stupid and rings a bit empty given the head-to-head…@ Sac St.

Oh, and by the way, all FCS teams have been kicking the crap out of CSU in recent years, so…

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221115/d88f7126c9e14e60d898fff2f614ae9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2022, 07:54 PM
The unfortunate fact on this board is that the CAA is woefully underrepresented compared to the BSC and MVFC on this board. It's unfortunate but it clearly impacts poll voting when things like Montana at #12 are still going on.

There have been 6 CAA in teams in the AGS Top 25 the last 3 weeks. How many more votes do they need to be properly represented?

I think Ursus has done a voters by conference breakdown before and found that voters are actually harder on teams from their own conference than the consensus is.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?310322-AGS-Poll-Voter-Requirements

Basically make 100 posts and register before the season (I think the AGS Poll account usually posts the registration link in an FCS Discussion forum thread but it's in the thread linked above).

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2022, 08:01 PM

Southeastern Louisiana might have two of the best FCS wins in the country. Not only do they have the only win over #5 Incarnate Word this season [keep in mind that #1-3 are undefeated in FCS play, and #4's only FCS loss is to #1, so it's probably by definition the second best win in the country. They also have a top 10 win on the season over Jacksonville State -- this is the same Jacksonville State that has wins over SFA [by 25], Austin Peay [by 24] and EKU [by 25]. I am guilty of this with this team, but IMO this team is being woefully slept on due to a loss to TAMU, which looks a lot worse based on the fact they've run out of gas this season. I think the two quality wins should be holding this team up far more than they are.

--

--

My thoughts after doing this exercise: [B]What the hell is Montana doing with that rating? That resume sucks. The ASun quietly has some sneaky deserving teams between EKU and APEAY. Chattanooga's resume is entirely dependent on Mercer holding up. The OVC is garbage. SEMO looks a LOT softer than I remember. Their best win is over SIU, and they lost to both ASUN playoff competitors.

You're being overly harsh on Montana in terms of their poll ranking. While their zero good wins will certainly come into play regarding playoff selection, in terms of rankings it's just the best 25 teams and Montana is one of them. I can buy they're overrated at 12, but they are definitely top 20 at least. In back to back weeks they had an OT loss to your #1 team (AGS #2) on the road (in a game in which if a late bad call went the other way they would have won) and a 3 point loss to your #10 team (AGS #6), again on the road (and without their starting QB). I'm not going to try and guess which teams in the top 20 would or wouldn't have done better in back to back road trips to Sac State & Weber, but I am sure that there are multiple teams that would've done worse and wouldn't have had realistic chances to win even one of those games at the end, much less both of them.

Also, regarding your comments about Austin Peay, they didn't play SEMO this year.

What makes you think that Navy is really that much better than Buffalo where Delaware gets credit for a "fantastic" FBS win while Holy Cross only gets credit for a "good" FBS win? To me they are pretty similar and then so are the respective scalps.

topher99
November 14th, 2022, 08:24 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?310322-AGS-Poll-Voter-Requirements

Basically make 100 posts and register before the season (I think the AGS Poll account usually posts the registration link in an FCS Discussion forum thread but it's in the thread linked above).

Thanks for the info!

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2022, 08:45 PM

Southeastern Louisiana might have two of the best FCS wins in the country. Not only do they have the only win over #5 Incarnate Word this season [keep in mind that #1-3 are undefeated in FCS play, and #4's only FCS loss is to #1, so it's probably by definition the second best win in the country. They also have a top 10 win on the season over Jacksonville State -- this is the same Jacksonville State that has wins over SFA [by 25], Austin Peay [by 24] and EKU [by 25]. I am guilty of this with this team, but IMO this team is being woefully slept on due to a loss to TAMU, which looks a lot worse based on the fact they've run out of gas this season. I think the two quality wins should be holding this team up far more than they are.

--

--

[B]The CAA has a lot of good wins and is underrated in voting.

where the heck have you been all year?

Most of the voters I have questioned about their questionable CAA placements admit they haven’t even watched a CAA game all year.

Comes down to Flosports and nobody outside of CAA fans have it

ElCid
November 14th, 2022, 08:50 PM

I'm sorry, but for you to say that without acknowledging some of the CAA bias as well over the years is kind of funny. The CAA is definitely down overall this year. All the polls and computer rankings show that. But there have been years when the CAA was ridiculously over hyped by over representation here. If it's low this year, there is a reason.

I am nothing specially in regard to my biases. But I like to think I'm as fair as possible when it comes to keeping them in check when I actually do my poll. I like to give others the same benefit. Ursus informed us a few years ago that everyone would be shocked at how unbiased voters here are in regard to their team and conference. I believe him.

SDFS
November 15th, 2022, 12:04 AM
Sargin Conference Ranking: MVFC and Big Sky are closer to C-USA 59 and MAC 60 than they are to the rest of FCS. And the CAA (an overgrown WAC east) should get 5 teams in?

MVFC

BIG SKY

ASUN

SOUTHERN

CAA

IVY LEAGUE

WAC

BIG SOUTH

SOUTHLAND

OHIO VALLEY

SWAC-WEST

PATRIOT

SWAC-EAST

MID-EASTERN

NORTHEAST

PIONEER

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 08:40 AM
You're being overly harsh on Montana in terms of their poll ranking. While their zero good wins will certainly come into play regarding playoff selection, in terms of rankings it's just the best 25 teams and Montana is one of them. I can buy they're overrated at 12, but they are definitely top 20 at least. In back to back weeks they had an OT loss to your #1 team (AGS #2) on the road (in a game in which if a late bad call went the other way they would have won) and a 3 point loss to your #10 team (AGS #6), again on the road (and without their starting QB). I'm not going to try and guess which teams in the top 20 would or wouldn't have done better in back to back road trips to Sac State & Weber, but I am sure that there are multiple teams that would've done worse and wouldn't have had realistic chances to win even one of those games at the end, much less both of them.
Our starter Johnson was knocked out of the Sac game at the end of the 1st quarter, also, so he effectively didn't play against Sac or Weber. I don't blame voters for knocking us down their rankings, but if 7-4 Montana sneaks into the field, the committee might look at these two games without our starter as "good losses", if there is such a thing lol.

SpreadTheWord
November 15th, 2022, 08:44 AM

https://media.tenor.com/lB2nmgD3WKYAAAAC/you-dont-wanna-know-george-zax.gif

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Sargin Conference Ranking: MVFC and Big Sky are closer to C-USA 59 and MAC 60 than they are to the rest of FCS. And the CAA (an overgrown WAC east) should get 5 teams in?

MVFC

BIG SKY

ASUN

SOUTHERN

CAA

IVY LEAGUE

WAC

BIG SOUTH

SOUTHLAND

OHIO VALLEY

SWAC-WEST

PATRIOT

SWAC-EAST

MID-EASTERN

NORTHEAST

PIONEER

The point I’ve been trying to make all year is the top 3 CAA teams have been getting systematically ranked lower than the Big Lie and the Southern Conference teams... the exception was Delaware early

The CAA has some really bad teams right now that are obviously pulling down the conference computer rankings and the opinion of weakness from fans

Richmond, Delaware and William & Mary were my preseason top three in the CAA, Delaware has given way to Elon now

So my point right from the beginning has been Richmond and William and Mary have been disrespected in the polls but are slowly climbing up to where they should be. Winning is the best way to fight bias

Overall, The Big Sky certainly looks like the best overall conference but let’s get at least one good playoff match up with the CAA .... the good CAA

GannonFan
November 15th, 2022, 08:55 AM

Not sure why you think the CAA is being unfairly ranked, but remember, this is not the CAA of the 2003-2012 timeframe - it's just not that good of a conference nationally. Heck, you of all folks should know that as UNH is having a pretty good year and yet has that stain of the thumping by NC Central on the resume. There are certainly fewer and fewer CAA fans on here, but that's due to JMU leaving and UD not being competitive for the past decade - that's a lot of posters there (me included). I don't see anything appreciably wrong with the poll as it regards CAA teams. We're just not that good. It's almost like we're back in the Yankee Conference days from a national standpoint, except even worse since we don't have any team that can make noise nationally (UD was good at that back in the early 90's when the rest of the conference was meh).

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Our starter Johnson was knocked out of the Sac game at the end of the 1st quarter, also, so he effectively didn't play against Sac or Weber. I don't blame voters for knocking us down their rankings, but if 7-4 Montana sneaks into the field, the committee might look at these two games without our starter as "good losses", if there is such a thing lol.So, how high of a Seed are you advocating for Furman since the Paladins’ only FCS loss came without their starting QB, who, since returning from injury (dislocated elbow), has been responsible for 83% of FU’s Offense in wins over highly ranked Chattanooga & Mercer?

Does the #4 seed for Furman seem about right to you...or higher?

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 09:52 AM
So, how high of a Seed are you advocating for Furman since the Paladins’ only FCS loss came without their starting QB, who, since returning from injury (dislocated elbow), has been responsible for 83% of FU’s Offense in wins over highly ranked Chattanooga & Mercer?

I'm not advocating for Montana to get a seed, even if we win this weekend. I'm just talking about making the field. Furman has an argument for the 7 or 8, maybe, but I don't necessarily think they'll get it.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2022, 09:56 AM
I don't keep up with other conference teams like maybe I should, but someone please explain to me how the A-Sun is more highly ranked than the SoCon? I'm rather biased of course, but I would think it is not even close.

crusader11
November 15th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Assuming Samford beats Mercer this weekend, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be a top four seed.

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Assuming Samford beats Mercer this weekend, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be a top four seed.

It would be a close call between Samford and William & Mary (if they beat Richmond) for the 4/5. NDSU is probably going to end up the 4 seed but it should come down to the Bulldogs & Tribe.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2022, 10:24 AM

I agree but beating Mercer has been a big problem for us recently. The Bears are a far better team than most realize. Check the SoCon stats page and see how many categories the Bears are tops in. I think my Dogs are good enough to win, but I am definitely nervous about the game.

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 10:24 AM
The point I’ve been trying to make all year is the top 3 CAA teams have been getting systematically ranked lower than the Big Lie and the Southern Conference teams... the exception was Delaware early

The CAA has some really bad teams right now that are obviously pulling down the conference computer rankings and the opinion of weakness from fans

Richmond, Delaware and William & Mary were my preseason top three in the CAA, Delaware has given way to Elon now

So my point right from the beginning has been Richmond and William and Mary have been disrespected in the polls but are slowly climbing up to where they should be. Winning is the best way to fight bias

Overall, The Big Sky certainly looks like the best overall conference but let’s get at least one good playoff match up with the CAA .... the good CAA

Just a couple points of clarification.

Three teams are 6-1 in the CAA with one game remaining; however, only two have a chance to remain with only 1 loss since W&M and Richmond play one another this Saturday When you say "top" teams, that would be the teams actually at the top of the standings, not the "top" teams in someone's imagination. None of the 3 teams at the "Top" of the CAA as of November 15, 2022 are named Elon. Those 3 teams are in alphabetical order New Hampshire, Richmond and William & Mary.

The teams at the bottom of the CAA standings currently are no worse or better than the bottom of any other conference projected to have 3 or more tems in the playoffs. Merely because the CAA is the largest FCS conference, there may be more teams termed "at the bottom". It would be pointless, and quite comical, to hear anyone argue which team is worst - Cal Poly, VMI or Stony Brook.

crusader11
November 15th, 2022, 10:29 AM
It would be a close call between Samford and William & Mary (if they beat Richmond) for the 4/5. NDSU is probably going to end up the 4 seed but it should come down to the Bulldogs & Tribe.

Both have better resumes than NDSU and should be seeded above them (assuming they win, of course).

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Three teams are 6-1 in the CAA with one game remaining; however, only two have a chance to remain with only 1 loss since W&M and Richmond play one another this Saturday When you say "top" teams, that would be the teams actually at the top of the standings, not the "top" teams in someone's imagination. None of the 3 teams at the "Top" of the CAA as of November 15, 2022 are named Elon. Those 3 teams are in alphabetical order New Hampshire, Richmond and William & Mary.

The teams at the bottom of the CAA standings currently are no worse or better than the bottom of any other conference projected to have 3 or more tems in the playoffs. Merely because the CAA is the largest FCS conference, there may be more teams termed "at the bottom". It would be pointless, and quite comical, to hear anyone argue which team is worst - Cal Poly, VMI or Stony Brook.

Go Maine!

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 10:46 AM
So, how high of a Seed are you advocating for Furman since the Paladins’ only FCS loss came without their starting QB, who, since returning from injury (dislocated elbow), has been responsible for 83% of FU’s Offense in wins over highly ranked Chattanooga & Mercer?

Zero, absolutely no effect on a team's ranking. Injuries are part of football. If a team want's to reduce the risk of losing a QB than build it in the game plan. No one is making a team run 15 rushing plays with a QB carrying the ball, or a majority of 5 step dropback long passing plays . Now I'm thinking that is your point of view in responding to uofmman1122, if so, I suspect we agree.

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 10:56 AM
Go Maine!

Another great example! Maine has only 2 wins, and it took a while for them to gain their footing at the beginning of the season. But they are not a "really bad" team now and they have enough talent and a chance of winning this Saturday. That is true of Albany and Towson as well. The CAA is not being unduly wieghed down by poor teams. If you look at the distribution of W-L records in ths standings, there is a fairly normal distribution and in fact out of 13 teams, no one has 0 wins or losses.

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Zero, absolutely no effect on a team's ranking. Injuries are part of football. If a team want's to reduce the risk of losing a QB than build it in the game plan. No one is making a team run 15 rushing plays with a QB carrying the ball, or a majority of 5 step dropback long passing plays . Now I'm thinking that is your point of view in responding to uofmman1122, if so, I suspect we agree.
FUBeAR’s thinking is Montana WILL get ‘credit’ for having to play without their starting QB and Furman WILL NOT be extended that same ‘credit’ because ‘everyone knows’ just how awesomely awesome Big Sky Teams are, regardless of their record and regardless that their average defeated opponent is rated #66 in Massey with their best win over #34, a 3-7 Team that shouldn’t be #34. Montana has done nothing this season to justify being ranked higher than #33, yet here we are…

Rank
Team:
Total Points

Montana Grizzlies

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 12:08 PM
FUBeAR’s thinking is Montana WILL get ‘credit’ for having to play without their starting QB and Furman WILL NOT be extended that same ‘credit’ because ‘everyone knows’ just how awesomely awesome Big Sky Teams are, regardless of their record and regardless that their average defeated opponent is rated #66 in Massey with their best win over #34. Montana has done nothing this season to justify being ranked higher than #33, yet here we are…

Rank
Team:
Total Points

Montana Grizzlies

12 is ridiculous for Montana in this poll, I have them at 22 in mine.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 12:23 PM
You're right, our coaches should've employed the "prevent the other team from cheapshotting our QB with a targeted helmet to the head after he threw the ball" gameplan.

Sam Herder talked to the committee chair who said yes, they are going to factor injuries into their rankings, even if you don't think they should. I'm not just making this up.

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 12:25 PM
12 is ridiculous for Montana in this poll, I have them at 22 in mine.

This post made me go back and relook the Montana scores this season. Looks like I've been drinking the Grizzly Kool Aid - I have then too high. Goods news is that I won't have to move them if that beat the Bobcats.

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 12:27 PM
You're right, our coaches should've employed the "prevent the other team from cheapshotting our QB with a targeted helmet to the head after he threw the ball" gameplan.

Sam Herder talked to the committee chair who said yes, they are going to factor injuries into their rankings, even if you don't think they should. I'm not just making this up.Are you freaking kidding me?? Well, maybe NDSU will get a higher seed, we are a MASH unit on the O and D lines.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Are you freaking kidding me?? Well, maybe NDSU will get a higher seed, we are a MASH unit on the O and D lines.
Before you have an aneurism, we obviously don't know to what degree they're going to lol

It could still not be enough to give Furman a seed and get a 7-4 Montana into the field.

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 12:32 PM

Sam Herder talked to the committee chair who said yes, they are going to factor injuries into their rankings, even if you don't think they should. I'm not just making this up.

You really don't get it. Regardless why or how a player is injured I don't compensate them in the rankings because of injuries. If you do that you must be moving countless teams up and down and in and out of the rankings. You can't cherry pick from a litany of subjective factors - stick with tangible results from games played.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 12:33 PM
You really don't get it. Regardless why or how a player is injured I don't compensate them in the rankings because of injuries. If you do that you must be moving countless teams up and down and in and out of the rankings. You can't cherry pick from a litany of subjective factors - stick with tangible results from games played.
So you have Holy Cross as your #1 team, right?

It's literally all subjective lol

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Awesome news!

So..how high do you think they will seed Furman, whose only FCS loss was to a Top 5-ish Samford, played without the Paladins’ MVP QB, who represents over 80% of their Offense, due to injury.

Since Samford’s only loss is to #1 FBS Georgia (closer than UGa has beaten most of their opponents), and Samford owns wins over highly-ranked Furman & highly-ranked Chattanooga, previously highly-ranked Kennesaw, and assuming they beat recently highly-ranked Mercer this week AND SacState loses to UCD (quite possible)…then the Bulldogs clearly would have a solid argument for the #1 Seed as their FBS loss to dominant #1 Georgia clearly is a better loss than SDSU’s loss to unranked Iowa.

In that event, would you see Furman getting the #2 Seed? Surely no lower than #4.

So relieved the Committee is going to fully consider the impact of the Paladins not having their starting QB in their only FCS loss. Best news all day!!

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 12:40 PM
You really don't get it. Regardless why or how a player is injured I don't compensate them in the rankings because of injuries. If you do that you must be moving countless teams up and down and in and out of the rankings. You can't cherry pick from a litany of subjective factors - stick with tangible results from games played.This X1000, I give no credence for team injuries, none, zero, zip, NADA. It is a team game and you rank the TEAM based on the team's performance with the players they put on the field.

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 12:43 PM
So you have Holy Cross as your #1 team, right?

It's literally all subjective lol
11th, why do you ask? Tangible results clealry include the quality of your opponents. The score of a football game is an objective factor, as is the win/loss record of your opponent. The calculated SOS of a team is subjective based on the algorithm used, however, it is far more tangible then somehow guesstimating the effect of injuries.

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 01:02 PM
2: Sac State Hornets
4: Weber State Wildcats
5: North Dakota State Bison
6: Incarnate Word Cardinals
7: Samford Bulldogs
8: Holy Cross Crusaders
9: William & Mary Tribe
12: Mercer Bears
13: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
14: Jackson State Tigers
15: New Hampshire Wildcats
16: Chattanooga Mocs
17: Elon Phoenix
18: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
19: UC Davis Aggies
20: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
21: Idaho Vandals
22: Montana Grizzlies
23: Fordham Rams
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: Austin Peay Governors

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2022, 01:04 PM
1: Sac State Hornets
2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4: Samford Bulldogs
5: William & Mary Tribe
6: North Dakota State Bison
7: Holy Cross Crusaders
8: Incarnate Word Cardinals
9: Weber State Wildcats
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: New Hampshire Wildcats
14: Jackson State Tigers
15: Elon Phoenix
16: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
17: UC Davis Aggies
18: Fordham Rams
19: Chattanooga Mocs
20: Idaho Vandals
21: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
22: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
23: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
24: Mercer Bears
25: Yale Bulldogs

The Most Significant Win: UC Davis Aggies
The Most Significant Loss: Princeton Tigers

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 01:05 PM
11th, why do you ask? Tangible results clealry include the quality of your opponents. The score of a football game is an objective factor, as is the win/loss record of your opponent. The calculated SOS of a team is subjective based on the algorithm used, however, it is far more tangible then somehow guesstimating the effect of injuries.
Hell, if we are going to factor in injuries when seeding a team, maybe we should factor in bad officiating as well, NDSU would have beaten SDSU without a complete garbage taunting call in their game at the end of the half. Yep, let's get that game corrected in the system.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 01:18 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/836903088664871005/1042156065904660550/image.png

Oh god, oh lord. KPSUL and POD in shambles. ;)

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Hell, if we are going to factor in injuries when seeding a team, maybe we should factor in bad officiating as well…Yep, let's get that game corrected in the system.
So…you’re saying…

If UCD beats SacState AND Furman beats Wofford, then Furman should get the #1 Seed?

https://twitter.com/soconsports/status/1576950374606327808

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 01:27 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/836903088664871005/1042156065904660550/image.png

Oh god, oh lord. KPSUL and POD in shambles. ;)
If Montana loses to MSU and gets in with that 7-4 record, with victories over no one with a winning record, then they might just as well blow up the selection committee

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 01:31 PM
If Montana loses to MSU and gets in with that 7-4 record, with victories over no one with a winning record, then they might just as well blow up the selection committee
Maybe so, but it seems like no matter what happens, there are gonna be more pissed off fans than usual this year. lol

For the record, I don't think 7-4 Montana deserves to be in, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're given the benefit of the doubt by whatever this so-called "eye test" is.

Like I said, it's all subjective at the end of the day, even when comparing win-loss records and SOS.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 01:32 PM

lets see your pre-season rankings as those require imagination haha

top 3 today
William
Richmond
Elon

Delaware is 4th

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/11246

the bottom 3 are significantly lower ranked now than last year, that was my point when I said the bottom CAA teams are tanking the overall CAA ranking

Stony is horrible
Hampton not helping
Maine either

even UNH lost to MEAC team this year .... big red flag for the CAA argument

KPSUL
November 15th, 2022, 01:40 PM
lets see your pre-season rankings as those require imagination haha

top 3 today
William
Richmond
Elon

Delaware is 4th

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/11246

the bottom 3 are significantly lower ranked now than last year, that was my point when I said the bottom CAA teams are tanking the overall CAA ranking

Stony is horrible
Hampton not helping
Maine either

even UNH lost to MEAC team this year .... big red flag for the CAA argument

It took that long and this is what you come up with up for a rebuttal??? You are slipping C Hen.

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 01:41 PM
If Montana loses to MSU and gets in with that 7-4 record, with victories over no one with a winning record, then they might just as well blow up the selection committeeOMG - just looked at that. Their wins are over Teams that are 17-53 combined for a .243 winning % … so beating seven 2-9 or 3-8 type Teams and losing every game to any quality Team is enough to get a Team into the Playoffs and Ranked #12?

Good to know.

Mercer’s dominant win over Massey-ranked #42 5-5 Gardner-Webb should lock them in for a Playoff bid even if they lose to Samford this weekend. Just surprised the Bears aren’t at least AGS #11 ahead of Montana though.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 01:44 PM
OMG - just looked at that. Their wins are over Teams that are 17-53 combined for a .243 winning % … so beating seven 2-9 or 3-8 type Teams and losing every game to any quality Team is enough to get a Team into the Playoffs and Ranked #12?

Good to know.

Mercer’s dominant win over Massey-ranked #42 5-5 Gardner-Webb should lock them in for a Playoff bid even if they lose to Samford this weekend. Just surprised the Bears aren’t at least AGS #11 ahead of Montana though.
Just curious, where's Montana ranked according to Massey? ;)

POD Knows
November 15th, 2022, 01:48 PM
Just curious, where's Montana ranked according to Massey? ;)What, do you cut and paste Massey into your AGS poll? You honestly think that Montana is 6 in the country in FCS as we speak??

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 01:49 PM
What, do you cut and paste Massey into your AGS poll? You honestly think that Montana is 6 in the country in FCS as we speak??
No, just curious when Massey is a reliable source when trying to make a point, thanks.

Gil Dobie
November 15th, 2022, 01:59 PM
Both have better resumes than NDSU and should be seeded above them (assuming they win, of course).

I don't believe Wm & Mary or Samford would be rated so high and have as good of record with the same schedule as NDSU. NDSU, on the other hand would have similar records as Sam & Bill & Mary in the CAA or SoCon.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 02:02 PM
It took that long and this is what you come up with up for a rebuttal??? You are slipping C Hen.

And if this is your reply, I’m not the only one that’s slipping here xcoffeex

I even wasted my time and put a link in for you

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Just curious, where's Montana ranked according to Massey? ;)

Massey tied for first in the pick em game

ull Standings:

Bisonator

Massey

footballer23

catbooster

ElCid

POD Knows

MSUBobcat

ncspiderfan

Roamingriz

bluefish

FCSbuff319

Wapiti

JacksFan40

mvemjsunpx

Prime Power

Go Lehigh TU owl

MTfan4life

Preferred Walk-On

Caribbeanhen

atthewbon

Carolina010

bonarae

CockyGeek

crusader11

McNeese75

TheValleyRaider

JALMOND

YSUBIGRED

Chalupa Batman

MR. CHICKEN

Original_RMC

zzTheKingpin28

zzDewey

zzThe Cats

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Massey tied for first in the pick em game
That's actually pretty impressive! lol

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 02:15 PM
I don't believe Wm & Mary or Samford would be rated so high and have as good of record with the same schedule as NDSU. NDSU, on the other hand would have similar records as Sam & Bill & Mary in the CAA or SoCon.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJNtnByiQ2vIjTuWt4tap7M6dJ3gP4R v2KjA&usqp=CAU

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2022, 06:13 PM
I don't think people are actually looking at the bubble when they're making assessments about team chances at 7-4. I think 2 or 3 MAJOR conference teams are going to be in the last 4 in with EIGHT D1 wins. I listened to a podcast today and in the situation where UTM won the coin flip, 3 of their last 4 in were Chattanooga, Delaware and SEMO. And their logic was pretty good throughout.

Every single 8 DI win non-conf champion should be rooting for a completely stock final week of the season -- ND beats NDSU? Mercer beats Samford? Montana beats Montana State? UC Davis beats Sacramento State? There's going to be some pain on Sunday.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2022, 06:17 PM
I don't think people are actually looking at the bubble when they're making assessments about team chances at 7-4. I think 2 or 3 MAJOR conference teams are going to be in the last 4 in with EIGHT D1 wins. I listened to a podcast today and in the situation where UTM won the coin flip, 3 of their last 4 in were Chattanooga, Delaware and SEMO. And their logic was pretty good throughout.

Every single 8 DI win non-conf champion should be rooting for a completely stock final week of the season -- ND beats NDSU? Mercer beats Samford? Montana beats Montana State? UC Davis beats Sacramento State? There's going to be some pain on Sunday.

If UT Martin wins a coin flip a lot of fans are going to flip out

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2022, 06:34 PM
If UT Martin wins a coin flip a lot of fans are going to flip out

Does anyone know when this supposed coin flip is? I still think the OVC is just going to say they had one and then come out and announce UT Martin won.

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know when this supposed coin flip is? I still think the OVC is just going to say they had one and then come out and announce UT Martin won.The Selection Committee Chairman should be back channeling via EIU AD, Tom Michael, the OVC Committee Member, that if UTM ‘wins’ that coin flip, it will be a shame for a deserving 9-2 or 8-3 OVC Team to be left out of the Playoffs.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Right; I do think the NCAA needs to edge in here and say that it's one spot for the OVC and they get to decide who gets it. If the OVC gambles that SEMO will get in if UTM "wins" the coin flip, I sure hope the NCAA makes them feel that decision.

Tribal
November 15th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Arguing over who likes or doesn’t like the CAA?

It’s been awhile since my Tribe had a decent season. No easy task for a high academic, small public, very very few FBS transfers (if any), and doesn’t even fill the FCS allotment of scholarships. I’m just glad we are relevant.

SDFS
November 15th, 2022, 07:43 PM
OMG - just looked at that. Their wins are over Teams that are 17-53 combined for a .243 winning % … so beating seven 2-9 or 3-8 type Teams and losing every game to any quality Team is enough to get a Team into the Playoffs and Ranked #12?

Good to know.

Or we can just leave both of them out of the conversation. It seems like the logical choice to me. Two wrongs don't make it right - Just saying

molly
November 15th, 2022, 07:50 PM

I haven't followed FCS in a really long time, probably 10 years. But are you suggesting that NDSU would NOT have given away a 28-10 halftime lead or 31-16 lead at the end of the 3rd quarter to Elon?

If so, NDSU would probably be 10-0 instead of 9-1 like William and Mary, and justifiably ranked as such.

Gil Dobie
November 15th, 2022, 07:51 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJNtnByiQ2vIjTuWt4tap7M6dJ3gP4R v2KjA&usqp=CAU

Says the the guy whose team barely beat Chuck South. NCAT, a team NDSU beat 43-3, beat them by more. Please continue you whine session.

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 09:21 PM
Or we can just leave both of them out of the conversation. It seems like the logical choice to me. Two wrongs don't make it right - Just saying
Cool. Linear vs. Circular Logic works for FUBeAR.

Circular Logic has Montana wrongly way too high at #12
Linear Logic has Mercer probably about correctly slotted at #17

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2022, 09:23 PM
Says the the guy whose team barely beat Chuck South. NCAT, a team NDSU beat 43-3, beat them by more.
Apples to Apricots

Gil Dobie
November 15th, 2022, 09:58 PM
Apples to Apricots

In your buccaneer! xlolx