PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Ten

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 13-4
Overall: 34-13

Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - The Demons have had a tough schedule to date and that includes an 0-4 season when it comes on the road. Ole Miss may be ripe for the picking as far as an FCS win goes over an FBS school, but I do not believe the Demons can manage. OLE MISS

McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin - The Jacks are at home again this week after hosting SHSU this past weekend. The Pokes have no reason for fans to pick against them. They are good. SFA is not. McNEESE

South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - Another non-conference game in the middle of the conference slate due to NWST playing Ole Miss. The Bears are at home and I think I join the rest of the SLC in feeling confident in Nathan Brown, Clint Conque and company. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

SE Louisiana @ Texas State - San Marcos - The Bobcats won at Northwestern State last week for the first time in a good while. They are at home and the faithful are very optimistic with SELA coming to Bobcat Stadium. I'm going with the hometown team. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - Over the years, SHSU has seem to won in this rivalry when the game is in Huntsville to the tune of four wins in the last five games played in Huntsville. On top of that, the games seem to overwhelmingly been in the Kats direction. Colonels have a great deal on the line in this one, but I can't find myself picking against how history has stood up. SAM HOUSTON STATE

BEAR
October 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Ditto..

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - Another non-conference game in the middle of the conference slate due to NWST playing Ole Miss. The Bears are at home and I think I join the rest of the SLC in feeling confident in Nathan Brown, Clint Conque and company. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

This game seems like a pick em to me. South Dakota State is pretty good. I've only seen UCA play NW St, but while they were good at times, I wasn't that impressed. Interesting game.

McNeese_beat
October 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
This game seems like a pick em to me. South Dakota State is pretty good. I've only seen UCA play NW St, but while they were good at times, I wasn't that impressed. Interesting game.

I think that since the Northwestern game, UCA has "figured out" they can win at this level week-in, week-out. Mentally, I think it's a much different team now.

But you are right. This will be sort of a barometer game for UCA. Maybe they got hot because they've been playing against bad league rivals. Or maybe they are that good now.

We'll see on Saturday.

slycat
October 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - i would love say nwst can win this but they have struggled lately so no

McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin - easy win or biggest upset. ill go with the win.

South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - someone from the slc has to beat sdsu and this is the team to do it

SE Louisiana @ Texas State - the bobcats are gaining confidence and the lions have struggled in san marcos

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - the bearkats are on a two game win streak and nsu is on a 2 game losing streak. ill go with the huntsville kids.

JackTwice
October 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I know that you can't compare scores directly but, as a barometer, how has Central Arkansas done against Tex St. and SFA?

I think this games has the makings of a great game. How can one watch this game on-line?

Lionsrking
October 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - i would love say nwst can win this but they have struggled lately so no

McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin - easy win or biggest upset. ill go with the win.

South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - someone from the slc has to beat sdsu and this is the team to do it

SE Louisiana @ Texas State - the bobcats are gaining confidence and the lions have struggled in san marcos

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - the bearkats are on a two game win streak and nsu is on a 2 game losing streak. ill go with the huntsville kids.

Ole Miss over NW State though don't be surprised if it's a relatively close game, say under three TDs.

UCA over South Dakota State in another high scoring affair. The Bears have an oustanding offense and they're at home.

McNeese over SFA. Biggest mismatch in the SLC.

Texas St. over Southeastern...Two weeks ago, I would have said this would be the year the Lions finally beat the Bobcats. But our team is a MASH unit right now and TSU is playing better football. Not to mention San Marcos has been a hell-hole for us over the years.

Nicholls State over SHSU...I like this matchup for the Colonels.

Lionsrking
October 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I know that you can't compare scores directly but, as a barometer, how has Central Arkansas done against Tex St. and SFA?

I think this games has the makings of a great game. How can one watch this game on-line?

UCA absolutely obliterated Texas State in one of the all-time offensive blitzkrieg's I've seen. Offensively, UCA is as good as anyone. They're average defensively, but have some talent...just young.

They haven't played SFA yet.

MaximumBobcat
October 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - If they couldn't pass over our DBs yesterday, how do they expect to pass over Ole Miss'? Demons get forked.

McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin - The Jacks just plain suck.

South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - Kind of a useless game as UCA can't go to the playoffs and this game doesn't effect conference standings. Basically a warmup game for McNeese.

SE Louisiana @ Texas State - We've never lost to SELA.

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - Colonels got good DBs and the Kats have got shatty receivers, if Kats get 4 rushing TDs they'll win the game, but they probably won't so I'll go with Nicholls.

blackfordpu
October 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - Ole Miss may be having a down year but not down enough to lose to the Demons.

McNeese St. @ SFA - duh.....

SDSU @ UCA - The Bears are on a roll. I'll take the home team.

SELA @ Texas State - SELA will want to rebound and the bobcats are the perfect team to do it against.

Nicholls St. @ SHSU - Going with the Kats who seem to have finally put it all together. Yes, it was against sub-par competition but there is a lot to be said for momentum. Kats take this one.

slycat
October 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - Ole Miss may be having a down year but not down enough to lose to the Demons.

McNeese St. @ SFA - duh.....

SDSU @ UCA - The Bears are on a roll. I'll take the home team.

SELA @ Texas State - SELA will want to rebound and the bobcats are the perfect team to do it against.

Nicholls St. @ SHSU - Going with the Kats who seem to have finally put it all together. Yes, it was against sub-par competition but there is a lot to be said for momentum. Kats take this one.

you make this statement but pick the lions over the bobcats........

blackfordpu
October 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM
you make this statement but pick the lions over the bobcats........

You had a close game last week. I believe that will do more bad than good.

Freightliner
October 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
OOC Record: 23-7
SLC Record: 14-3
Overall: 37-10

Northwestern St @ Ole Miss
McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin
South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas
SE Louisiana @ Texas State - San Marcos
Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM

As someone else said, they absolutely obliterated Texas State. The score was 63-21 and it was 63-14 at the end of the thrid quarter. Central Arkansas had 680 yards of offense; 334 yards rushing and 346 yards passing. I watched most of the first half and Texas State's defense was totally helpless.

The situation appears to be that, at least as of this point of the season, UCA has an excellent offense but can be vulnerable on defense.

I have no idea as to how Northwestern State held them to 353 yards and 28 points. Louisiana Tech held them to 7 but they had 6 turnovers in that game.

Bear Fan 101
October 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM
sometimes that happens with young teams, they have to learn how to play, and to win. Those early season close losses to NW St and Missouri State have taught these kids how to come together and to keep focused throughout the entire game when they fall behind. I firmly believe losing those 2 games in the last seconds have allowed this team to win these last 2 games in come from behind fashion, they have the talent, they know they can do it, and now they have the confidence to do it.

As far as La Tech, we beat ourselves pretty good o nthat one driving inside the red zone 9 or 10 times and coming away with onlythe one TD. Our D returned only 1 starter from last year's squad, they do have a lot of talent, but they will be prone to some lapses as they keep growing and maturing in the system. A lot of people need to keep in mind that this was supposed to be sort of a reloading season for the team as a whole, and instead, if things fall into place, the Bears will be playing for a shot to win the conference championship on the last week of the season. Not too shabby in the first full year of D1 football if you ask me.

buckp
October 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM
.... into place, the Bears will be playing for a shot to win the conference championship on the last week of the season. Not too shabby in the first full year of D1 football if you ask me.

Not too shabby at all....xbowx

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
sometimes that happens with young teams, they have to learn how to play, and to win. Those early season close losses to NW St and Missouri State...

The Missouri State game doesn't seem "unusual" to me because UCA scored 38 points and a lot of yards (573). The UCA defense has not been consistently strong (over 30 points per game allowed) so UCA losing in spite of such an offensive output is not a shock.

The Northwestern State game is different. 28 points is a pretty good output but Bears were only able to score 7 points after halftime.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
On UCA's performance and whether or not it's good for the conference:

I think that depends to some extent on how UCA does against South Dakota State. If the Bears lose that game, it'll mean a team that may win the Southland title is 1-3 in non conference play with the only non conference win being over 2-7 Tennessee Martin and one of the losses being to a team that's probably going to finish 2-4 in the Gateway (Missouri State's 2-3 and their one remaining conference game is against Northern Iowa).

And I think it's pretty reasonable to say that South Dakota State's going to be the best FCS team UCA's played so far this season. For what it's worth the Sagarin system makes the Jackrabbits a 6 point favorite.

MSU_77
October 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Go Bears!!

MSU_77
October 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
My predictions for this week:

Ole Miss 24 Northwestern St 10
McNeese St 38 Stephen F Austin 14
Central Arkansas 41 South Dakota St 28
Texas State 21 SE Louisiana 17
Nicholls St 31 Sam Houston State 27

GeauxLions94
October 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Northwestern State @ Ole Miss - Northwestern State ran the ball well with a pair of 100-ayrd rushers, but gave up a lot of points in the red zone last week in a 20-17 loss to Texas State ... if the Demons weren't playing a team from the SEC, I'd say give them a chance. PICK - HOTTY TODDY U.

McNeese State @ Stephen F Austin - Do we really need to discuss this? PICK - McNeese State

South Dakota State @ Central Arkansas - SDSU has had good success against Southland Conference schools in the last couple of years including wins this year over Texas State and Stephen F. Austin ... UCA defense will have to stiffen up against a JackRabbit offense, but Nathan Brown and Co. should be able to get the job done. PICK - Central Arkansas

Southeastern Louisiana @ Texas State - Can Southeastern win on the road for the first time in 12 games? Can Southeastern finally defeat Texas State for the first time in 11 tries? Can the Southeastern D put pressure on Bradley George? SLU's Jay Lucas should have a field day against a Bobcat defense that is susceptible against the run ... but will go with the home team in a close one. PICK - TEXAS STATE

Nicholls State @ Sam Houston State - Welcome back Broderick Cole! Colonels came up short against UCA, but not because of their burly fullback ... Bomar and Co. will have their moments against NSU, but I smell upset city in HuntsVegas. PICK - Nicholls State.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Northwestern State @ Ole Miss - Northwestern State ran the ball well with a pair of 100-ayrd rushers, but gave up a lot of points in the red zone last week in a 20-17 loss to Texas State ... if the Demons weren't playing a team from the SEC, I'd say give them a chance. PICK - HOTTY TODDY U.

ARE YOU READY??? ALRIGHT!!! HELL YEAH!!! HOTTY TODDY GOSH ALMIGHTY OLE MISS CAN'T BEAT ANYBODY!!!!

Except for the Demons this weekend.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The Missouri State game doesn't seem "unusual" to me because UCA scored 38 points and a lot of yards (573). The UCA defense has not been consistently strong (over 30 points per game allowed) so UCA losing in spite of such an offensive output is not a shock.

The Northwestern State game is different. 28 points is a pretty good output but Bears were only able to score 7 points after halftime.

I believe UCA had a bunch of injuries against La Tech and in the first half of the Northwestern St. game. They played the second half without several of their top guys from what I understand. They're all back healthy now.

BEAR
October 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM
xbowx All these UCA assesments are pretty darn close to true. UCA is extremely young and our defense is full of holes. But the team relies on 1)turnovers from the other team 2) Nathan Browns ability to outscore the opponent 3) The sneak up factor due to not having played most of these teams 4) Experience as the year goes on and finally 5) Everyone overlooking them as a transitional team. Keep that facade up and it'll be too late. xlolx

The SDSU game will be tough to call. SDSU is supposed to have a phenomenal pass defense, but then they haven't faced a multifaceted offense like UCA is this year. Last year we relied on a couple of receivers to be our meat and potato players, this year, if you can catch the ball, you're probably gonna get the ball. xsmiley_wix I wish I had a feeling about this game. But it reminds me of the Nicholls game with a pass game attached.

UCA 35
SDSU 28
...for absolutely no reason at all. xbowx xlolx

JackTwice
October 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
but then they haven't faced a multifaceted offense like UCA is this year.

UNI would definitely qualify as multifaceted. Unfortunately, we only were able to play with them for a half (largely because they had a defense to match their offense). The thing is our offense has gained an identity since then. The best defense we have is an offense that just grinds and grinds and grinds. The 13 play 7 minute drive is our best friend and just when you're lining 9 up in the box we drop one in over the top for a long TD.

I think there are some questions to be answered about our pass defense. If we can get a rush on the QB we will be fine. If not its anyone's guess.
I am pretty afraid of making a call on this one. I think this is going to be a barnburner and will come right down to who has the ball last.

Since I truly believe this is a pick'em game, I am going homer (just like everyone else on this thread) and say
SDSU 31
UCA 24

BEAR
October 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM
UNI would definitely qualify as multifaceted. Unfortunately, we only were able to play with them for a half (largely because they had a defense to match their offense). The thing is our offense has gained an identity since then. The best defense we have is an offense that just grinds and grinds and grinds. The 13 play 7 minute drive is our best friend and just when you're lining 9 up in the box we drop one in over the top for a long TD.

I think there are some questions to be answered about our pass defense. If we can get a rush on the QB we will be fine. If not its anyone's guess.
I am pretty afraid of making a call on this one. I think this is going to be a barnburner and will come right down to who has the ball last.

Since I truly believe this is a pick'em game, I am going homer (just like everyone else on this thread) and say
SDSU 31
UCA 24

Oh. I didn't know what kind of offense UNI ran. UCA runs that spread offense but it has developed to the point of being almost unstoppable. Plus Nathan hasn't thrown a pick in like 220+ passes. The only way to stop him from completing one is if it bounces off the receivers jersey....and that's happened twice in the endzone in one game. Rushing the QB will do no good. SELA did it and nearly pulled it off, but the def. coor. figured out how to stop it in the 4th. SELA almost got Nathan like 8 times for sacks but he's illusive and makes things happen. As for the defense, well, it's lacking in my book. But inexperience is turning to experience and as the games progress our defense steps up more and more. It's the first few quarters that get the defense. But I agree with you, how to predict a game like this. SDSU is good. UCA is good. Question is which team will make fewer mistakes and if the UCA D can develop a little more. xconfusedx xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - If they couldn't pass over our DBs yesterday, how do they expect to pass over Ole Miss'? Demons get forked.

South Dakota St @ Central Arkansas - Kind of a useless game as UCA can't go to the playoffs and this game doesn't effect conference standings. Basically a warmup game for McNeese.

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - Colonels got good DBs and the Kats have got shatty receivers, if Kats get 4 rushing TDs they'll win the game, but they probably won't so I'll go with Nicholls.

Agreed xthumbsupx

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 30th, 2007, 05:17 AM
My predictions for this week:

Ole Miss 24 Northwestern St 10
McNeese St 38 Stephen F Austin 14
Central Arkansas 41 South Dakota St 28
Texas State 21 SE Louisiana 17
Nicholls St 31 Sam Houston State 27

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tell me you ain't serious???? We gave up 5.1 YPC (including sacks and such) to Texas State and you expect us to hold Ole Miss to 24 points??????

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I appreciate the optimism....But our D is gonna be on the field entirely too much in this one...Go with Last Years game on this one and add a couple for Ole Miss....

Ole Miss 38 --- NSU 7

Thanks for da laugh by da way....

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 30th, 2007, 05:21 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 13-4
Overall: 34-13

Northwestern St @ Ole Miss - The Demons have had a tough schedule to date and that includes an 0-4 season when it comes on the road. Ole Miss may be ripe for the picking as far as an FCS win goes over an FBS school, but I do not believe the Demons can manage. OLE MISS

McNeese St @ Stephen F Austin - The Jacks are at home again this week after hosting SHSU this past weekend. The Pokes have no reason for fans to pick against them. They are good. SFA is not. McNEESE

SE Louisiana @ Texas State - San Marcos - The Bobcats won at Northwestern State last week for the first time in a good while. They are at home and the faithful are very optimistic with SELA coming to Bobcat Stadium. I'm going with the hometown team. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Nicholls St @ Sam Houston State - Over the years, SHSU has seem to won in this rivalry when the game is in Huntsville to the tune of four wins in the last five games played in Huntsville. On top of that, the games seem to overwhelmingly been in the Kats direction. Colonels have a great deal on the line in this one, but I can't find myself picking against how history has stood up. SAM HOUSTON STATE

I'll take his Picks....

blackfordpu
October 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM

The Kats are the only team in the SLC with three receivers in the top 10 in receiving yards. You may want to rethink that statement.

MSU_77
October 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tell me you ain't serious???? We gave up 5.1 YPC (including sacks and such) to Texas State and you expect us to hold Ole Miss to 24 points??????

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I appreciate the optimism....But our D is gonna be on the field entirely too much in this one...Go with Last Years game on this one and add a couple for Ole Miss....

Ole Miss 38 --- NSU 7

Thanks for da laugh by da way....

Hey, just trying to pull for a conference brother. If I wanted to be really funny, I would've picked NW to win. Ole Miss is a beatable BCS opponent, but probably not this week.

JohnStOnge
October 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Here's what Sagarin's system says:

Ole Miss by 33 over NW State
McNeese by 38 over SFA
SDSU by 6 over UCA
TSU by 10 over SELA
Sam Houston by 4 over Nicholls State

We'll see what happens

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
The SDSU/UCA game will be a very close match-up. Bunnies will win in a shoot-out.

Jacks 41- Bears 35.xwhistlex xwhistlex

Retro
October 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM
The Kats are the only team in the SLC with three receivers in the top 10 in receiving yards. You may want to rethink that statement.

Except when they play a good defense.... That and with SHS terrible D, Nicholls should win.. Nicholls pass defense is actually better than Mcneese's statiscally, so we'll see.

McNeese_beat
October 31st, 2007, 12:31 AM
Except when they play a good defense.... That and with SHS terrible D, Nicholls should win.. Nicholls pass defense is actually better than Mcneese's statiscally, so we'll see.

I actually like Sam Houston. Game's in Huntsville and Nicholls is coming off a demoralizing loss in that it eliminated its post-season hopes. Sam Houston has already dealt with that disappointment and has, I presume, moved on.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Anyone think the McNeese issues off the field will have any impact on the play of the Pokes? I do not think it will make much of a difference. The Pokes play like professionals and will take care of the business at hand...

Seat16Demon
November 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hey, just trying to pull for a conference brother. If I wanted to be really funny, I would've picked NW to win. Ole Miss is a beatable BCS opponent, but probably not this week.

Thanks for the optimism! We almost did it!xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
November 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Congrats to the Demons on the great effort.

MSU_77
November 3rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the optimism! We almost did it!xthumbsupx

Congratulations on a great game. I understand you outgained Ole Miss by quite a margin.

JoshUCA
November 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Good job Demons! Too bad they couldn't pull it off! That would have been great!

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Only loss came when SDSU defeated UCA...even picked Texas State - San Marcos to win and they delivered...

TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 22-10
SLC Record: 16-4
Overall: 38-14

blackfordpu
November 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
I went 3 for 5.

Picked UCA and SELA to win.