PDA

View Full Version : The Possibility Of Two MEAC Teams In The Playoffs

Intrepid
October 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Okay guys help me out here. What is the possibility of having two MEAC teams in the playoffs this year??? Delaware St. plays Norfolk St. on Nov. 10th, if DSU loses and both DSU and Norfolk went on to win the rest of their games, do you think DSU will be eligible for an at large spot? If Norfolk St. loses, I know that the MEAC will only have one team in the playoffs. What do you think???

Delaware State 6-0 7-1
Norfolk State 5-1 6-2

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
A 9-2 Delaware State and a 9-2 Norfolk State...

Very intriguing possibility.

For the time being, I am back to one MEAC team as the NSU loss to Howard caught me off-guard. DSU's two losses would be Kent St (FBS) and Norfolk St while NSU's two losses would be Rutgers and Howard.

I would say it's possible, not 100% going to happen -- just need to see what happens these next few weeks, especially if SoCon can not qualify all the teams we think they will...Montana St and Nicholls St losses definitely help the chances of this...

ChickenMan
October 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Two MEAC teams..... not likely

ngineer
October 28th, 2007, 09:32 AM
If DSU loses they will be on the proverbial 'bubble'..based on their record and level of play against OOC, they will get a look, but it won't be a gimme. Will depend alot on what occurs elsewhere.

gatadotcom
October 28th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ain't gonna happen!

Tribe4SF
October 28th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Norfolk State loss to Howard lessened the possibility. Even with improved OOC matchups, MEAC teams are still not going to stack up well for at-large. CAA, Gateway and SoCon have too many quality teams this year. I believe those three leagues will hog the at-large bids. Its beginning to look like the CAA might actually have a shot to get 4 at-large teams this year, and the Gateway and SoCon 2 each. Even if CAA only gets 3, Big Sky runner-up would seem next in line.

89Hen
October 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Two MEAC teams..... not likely

Ain't gonna happen!
xnonox It wasn't that long ago the MEAC had two teams. In 2003 NCA&T (10-2) got the auto and Bethune (9-2) was an at large and in fact hosted a first round game.

The Committee HAS to like the possible UD/DSU match-up and that could work in their favor. xtwocentsx

R.A.
October 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM
If both DSU and NSU finish 9-2, I like both teams getting in... but I don't think NSU will finish 9-2. They still play some tough teams.

DSU will win the conference. We will be a one bid conference again.

But the MEAC quality of play is improving. Depending on our out of conference schedules next year, I think we may burst in with two next year.

gr8ness97
October 29th, 2007, 01:33 AM
they both still have to play WSSU, not exactly a gimme game for either teams...

HIU 93
October 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM
they both still have to play WSSU, not exactly a gimme game for either teams...

But you all aren't eligible for post season play. DSU, even even if they lose to y'all, will still win the conference with a win against NSU. After Saturday, I am of the firm belief that DSU will win out and win the conference. Beyond everything else, they keep finding ways to win. That is what good teams do.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
The way the MEAC gets two teams in the playoffs at this point is for Norfolk State to upset Delaware State in two weeks, and Delaware State to win all the rest of their games as well. NSU would get the autobid, and Del State gets sent to Newark (provided the Hens finish 9-2 or 8-3, of course).

If Del State beats NSU, NSU won't have an at-large resume worthy of inclusion, and the loss against Howard kills them. Del State is the only real worthy at-large team left in the MEAC, since South Carolina State and Hampton are now 4-loss teams.

BlueHen86
October 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM
xnonox It wasn't that long ago the MEAC had two teams. In 2003 NCA&T (10-2) got the auto and Bethune (9-2) was an at large and in fact hosted a first round game.

The Committee HAS to like the possible UD/DSU match-up and that could work in their favor. xtwocentsx

I was wondering about that. Does the committee factor that in? Or do they select the playoff field and then worry about pairings?

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM

you just might be on to something there. i think the politics involved have alot to do with it. however, i dont see norfolk st. finishing 9-2, dsu - maybe. i feel as though the chance was washed away when norfolk loss to howard.

also, i dont think nca&t has won a game since :D

but the thought of it is nice.

andy7171
October 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Didn't Howard upset Del State late last year to foil two MEAC schools making the playoffs in 2006?

gr8ness97
October 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
But you all aren't eligible for post season play. DSU, even even if they lose to y'all, will still win the conference with a win against NSU. After Saturday, I am of the firm belief that DSU will win out and win the conference. Beyond everything else, they keep finding ways to win. That is what good teams do.

I mention that for at large purposes...

HensRock
October 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I was wondering about that. Does the committee factor that in? Or do they select the playoff field and then worry about pairings?

They pick the teams and then worry about pairings. At least that is what the guidelines for team selection say. I have no reason to doubt that the committees of the past have followed this. Although there have been some surprise selections in the past, I don't recall any that were obviously "geographically influenced" by other teams already making the cut.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
They pick the teams and then worry about pairings. At least that is what the guidelines for team selection say. I have no reason to doubt that the committees of the past have followed this. Although there have been some surprise selections in the past, I don't recall any that were obviously "geographically influenced" by other teams already making the cut.

What about Bethune-Cookman getting the last spot in 2003? That certainly set up a first-round matchup with Florida Atlantic... at Daytona beach, no less.

If Delaware State goes 9-2 with their only losses coming to an FBS team and the MEAC champion, I think they're in the playoffs come what may. They would still be nationally-ranked in that scenario.

HIU 93
October 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I mention that for at large purposes...

Gotcha!

89Hen
October 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM
What about Bethune-Cookman getting the last spot in 2003? That certainly set up a first-round matchup with Florida Atlantic... at Daytona beach, no less.

If Delaware State goes 9-2 with their only losses coming to an FBS team and the MEAC champion, I think they're in the playoffs come what may. They would still be nationally-ranked in that scenario.
xnodx Great observation LFN. I think the Committee does a great job every year, but I absolutely believe they pick and choose who they want for that last spot and who goes where. xnodx

To this day I still use your Engineers as an example of the Committee doing what they want. Back when they seeded all 16 teams the Comm sent Lehigh on the road the year after they didn't put in the minimum bid to host a game. Even before the playoff fields were announced that year I warned all the LU fans that they would be on the road the first year. Nobody listened to me, but guess what seed LU got that year?... 9 xnodx

WMTribe90
October 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM

The losses are not the concern for a 9-2 DSU squad, its th elack of quality wins. Any 8-3 CAA or SoCon team will have more quality wins and a better SOS than a 9-2 NSU or DSU. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if the committee is being objective I don't see the MEAC getting an at-large this year, when it looks like there will be no shortage of quality at-large teams from the SoCon and CAA.

DSUHornet
October 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Didn't Howard upset Del State late last year to foil two MEAC schools making the playoffs in 2006?

yea, the game before that, our starting quaterback went down with a leg injury so he didnt play against howard. xcoffeex

Bulldog87
October 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I hate to say this but in all honesty Delaware State and NSU are both overrated. The team with the most talent in the MEAC is haunted by bad coaching. SCSU should've drilled both NSU and Delaware State. Congrats to both for winning the games. Example,SCSU had 418 yards total offense to DSU's 225. SCSU was in the redzone 6 times and came away with 16 total points. DSU,I'm all for a DSU vs UD matchup. This game shoild be played each year as opposed to West Chester vs UD. However,the DSU team that I saw in person saturday would likely get smashed by UD. The Meac isn't likely to get 2 teams this season. The conference is improving but we're probably 2 years away from 2 bids.

DSUHornet
October 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
I hate to say this but in all honesty Delaware State and NSU are both overrated. The team with the most talent in the MEAC is haunted by bad coaching. SCSU should've drilled both NSU and Delaware State. Congrats to both for winning the games. Example,SCSU had 418 yards total offense to DSU's 225. SCSU was in the redzone 6 times and came away with 16 total points. DSU,I'm all for a DSU vs UD matchup. This game shoild be played each year as opposed to West Chester vs UD. However,the DSU team that I saw in person saturday would likely get smashed by UD. The Meac isn't likely to get 2 teams this season. The conference is improving but we're probably 2 years away from 2 bids.

agreed with most of what you said. i think scsu is a hell of a team, the were picked in the preseason to take the meac and the only bid. but the game that we played against you guys was pathetic to say the least. i have never seen such a limited effort from us possibly barring the kent st. game. i dont think we are overrated in the sense that we played our worst football of the season and still won the game. the meac WONT get two teams in this year simply because of norfolk's loss to howard but i just spoke with someone about it and they confirmed that if both ud and dsu were to successfully make it to the playoffs, we would be matched in the first round.