PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette vs Lehigh, 158th Meeting

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Because this game still deserves its own thread, despite how awful both teams are. Lafayette supposedly has hope while Lehigh is... muddling along?

You can expect anything from Lafayette on Saturday. I am concerned that our defense is not it's all meant to be, yet Fordham has one of the best offenses in FCS. Lehigh can put up point. Lafayette feels lucky that they can hit double digits on the scoreboard. Inconceivably, I give the edge to the Brown Clowns.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Lafayette, through 10 games, has only allowed 19 more points to it's opponents than Holy Cross. The defense is above average at worst.

You really never, ever, ever know how this game is going to go. Hope it's close.

I'm caught between rooting to not have 5 three-loss teams in the PL and wanting Gilmore to win his likely (if Lehigh's serious about football) last game as college head coach. I'll likely end up rooting for TG.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Gilmore is done regardless. Take last year: arguably the Lafayette win "saved his job" as Lehigh ended on a three-game winning streak, seemingly creating momentum for a 2022 revival. The fans knew better than the AD. Even if Lehigh wins 69-0, there is no argument to bring him back.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Boy Im trying to hold out hope for LC win. Knowing our luck Gilmore announces resignation before game to team, right.

CHIP72
November 13th, 2022, 09:38 AM
IMO Lafayette is a little better than Lehigh this season and is also hosting the game, so I would expect a Leopards victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
November 13th, 2022, 09:43 AM
For people who live in the Washington or Baltimore areas (or for that matter south central Pennsylvania, most of the rest of Maryland and Virginia, and parts of North Carolina), this game will be televised on MASN2 (Lafayette broadcast of the game).

I remember a few years ago when the Fox College Sports channels still existed (or still carried college football games), it was possible for me to get both the Lehigh TV broadcast and the Lafayette TV broadcast of this game.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Will be at my 43rd straight! since frosh year in 1980 (Lehigh win 32-0).. Hard to believe but I recall when they had programs (now 4 pagers sigh!) reading I think in early or mid 80s about a guy (I think his name was Roger Connors?) who was attending his 50th game. He got a head start at age 5 as his dad (they lived in Easton) was taking him to games but I remember thinking wow - 50 games! I couldnt conceive of attending that many although I knew I would try! And here I am on the front yard, heading toward the doorway! Games with -20 degree wind chill (1987, by far coldest) and 2009 near 70! Just got my tickets (yes by mail no digital thank you..want souvenoirs) yesterday!

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2022, 06:08 PM
IMO Lafayette is a little better than Lehigh this season and is also hosting the game, so I would expect a Leopards victory.

Have Lafayette fans bought tickets? Channeling my inner carney here. Will Lehigh fans even bother to buy tickets? I don't think 154 (2018) was a sellout at Lafayette.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Gilmore is done regardless. Take last year: arguably the Lafayette win "saved his job" as Lehigh ended on a three-game winning streak, seemingly creating momentum for a 2022 revival. The fans knew better than the AD. Even if Lehigh wins 69-0, there is no argument to bring him back.

By no means did I expect Lehigh to challenge for the league title this year but I thought they'd continue to be the team they were in the 2nd half of the Fall 2021 season. Didn't happen -- 2022 was a step back. It's not the first time TG has "saved his job" with a somewhat meaningless 3-game winning streak to end a season only to come out flat the next. Got him his last extension here, and we all saw how that turned out.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2022, 06:22 PM
I went to the 1990, 91, 93, 95 and 97 though 2016 games. However, I have not attended a Lehigh-Lafayette game since the Mountain Hawks dominated the 'Pards in Easton 6 years ago to wrap up a very good 9-2 regular season. Given Lehigh's ineptitude under Gilmore that will not be changing this year. Also, I will be moving to the Midwest before next season to start my doctoral work at Kansas State so the odds are the drought reaches at least one more year. There's a chance the "no attendance streak" is going to approach a decade, amazingly. With that said, if Lehigh were to turn it around next year and league championship/playoffs are on the line maybe I can swing something.

I just pray this Gilmore's final game. Never, ever did I think I would see Lehigh football reach this prolonged level of awful. Before this season 96 and 97 or 2007-09 were the worst stretches during my fandom and even those brief periods were not truly terrible. More middling and frustrating....

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 06:31 PM
I went to the 1990, 91, 93, 95 and 97 though 2016 games. However, I have not attended a Lehigh-Lafayette game since the Mountain Hawks dominated the 'Pards in Easton 6 years ago to wrap up a very good 9-2 regular season. Given Lehigh's ineptitude under Gilmore that will not be changing this year. Also, I will be moving to the Midwest before next season to start my doctoral work at Kansas State so the odds are the drought reaches at least one more year. There's a chance the "no attendance streak" is going to approach a decade, amazingly. With that said, if Lehigh were to turn it around next year and league championship/playoffs are on the line maybe I can swing something.

I just pray this Gilmore's final game. Never, ever did I think I would see Lehigh football reach this prolonged level of awful. Before this season 96 and 97 or 2007-09 were the worst stretches during my fandom and even those brief periods were not truly terrible. More middling and frustrating....

2007 and 2008 Lehigh was pretty mediocre but much better than what we've seen unfold the past 3-4 years in Bethlehem. In 2009, you guys finished 4-7 but actually were a heartbeat away from upsetting league champ Holy Cross at home if not for Dom Randolph finding the tightest of windows on a 4th and 3 pass to Freddy Santana. And had you guys won that game and all other results held up the way they did, you guys would've won the league at 5-6. Even if HC had managed to not lose to Bucknell in the finale that year, you'd still have finished 5-6 (5-1) with the head-to-head tie breaker over Holy Cross. Crazy to think about. But that 2009 Lehigh team was on the rise and the seasons that followed were obviously terrific.

CHIP72
November 13th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Have Lafayette fans bought tickets? Channeling my inner carney here. Will Lehigh fans even bother to buy tickets? I don't think 154 (2018) was a sellout at Lafayette.

I attended both L-L 154 at Lafayette in 2018 (won by Lehigh 34-3) and L-L 155 at Lehigh in 2019 (won by Lafayette 17-16). Neither game sold out or was particularly close to a sellout (just over 11K attendance for 13K+ capacity Fisher Stadium in 2018, a little more than 13K attendance for 16K capacity Goodman Stadium in 2019).

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2022, 06:44 PM
I attended both L-L 154 at Lafayette in 2018 (won by Lehigh 34-3) and L-L 155 at Lehigh in 2019 (won by Lafayette 17-16). Neither game sold out or was particularly close to a sellout (just over 11K attendance for 13K+ capacity Fisher Stadium in 2018, a little more than 13K attendance for 16K capacity Goodman Stadium in 2019).

I regret not attending the 2018 game now knowing what Coen was going through his last year or two as head coach. He deserved everyone's support! Granted, because 2018 turned out so bad, no one saw THAT complete dominance of the Leopards coming. Most thought Lafayette would win by default which would have made the end even sadder.....

CHIP72
November 13th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Maybe Lehigh will hire Kutztown head coach Jim Clements this offseason. Unlike last year when KU reached the D2 Super Region 1 championship game/national quarterfinals and was playing for a couple weeks after Lehigh’s season ended, this year the Golden Bears just missed the playoffs (they were probably the first or more likely second team out in SR1), finishing a slightly disappointing but still very good 8-3. Kutztown did upset Slippery Rock on the road in their regular season finale on Saturday, though The Rock (9-2 record) were still selected for the D2 playoffs.

Speaking of Slippery Rock and the playoffs, they will play at Assumption in the first round of the D2 playoffs next week. The fans up in Worcester will get both DI-AA/FCS and D2 playoff action (and games in Worcester) this year from both Bob Chesney’s former team (Assumption) and his current team (Holy Cross).

Fordham
November 13th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Having seen both I’d say Lafayette is the better team but that obviously gets thrown out the window in this game.

Will it sell out?

ngineer
November 13th, 2022, 09:27 PM
This will be my 52nd Lehigh-Lafayette Game going back to 1970, my freshman year. Missed only one game before the pandemic of 2020 in 1976. I have been approaching #158 with trepidation...until this past Saturday. I don't know if the players were playing for themselves or the coaches, (I think the former), but, regardless, they played their hearts out and pulled out a shocking come from behind win. Everything has been erratic..from the QB play, the defense, the penalties, it is a difficult game to really pick. I saw Leotards play 'gate on TV was impressed with their fight. I really think you can throw a blanket over the bottom 5 of the League this year, but particularly, Colgate, Lehigh and Laughyette. I think these three could play each other three times and come out with three different results. I got my best seats at Fisher Stadium I have ever had for a Rivalry game...in the visitors seats, in the nice warm sun! Unfortunately, I am told the reason, besides my advanced seniority, is that a lot of students aren't getting tickets for the game. A sad commentary. It really pisses me off. Will be taking my oldest granddaughter to the game this year, along with her mother who was at the "ice bowl" in 1987 at Taylor stadium at the age of 7. So, I am looking forward to a very nice day and a Lehigh win. I have been promised I will see Lehigh catch up to the 'pards in the series record before my demise, so here's to another notch!

November 19, 2022...That Time of the Month for the Pussies to Bleed!!! Go LEHIGH!! xhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhype dxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhu rrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayx xhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayx

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 07:06 AM

I just pray this G ilmore's final game. Never, ever did I think I would see Lehigh football reach this prolonged level of awful. Before this season 96 and 97 or 2007-09 were the worst stretches during my fandom and even those brief periods were not truly terrible. More middling and frustrating....

Owl, good luck at Kansas State. BTW former NDSU HC Chris Klieman is the HC at KSU now. Ironically when I went down to Dallas in early 2012 to watch the FCS championship game, KSU fans were there too for a bowl game and staying at my hotel.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 07:08 AM

I just pray this G ilmore's final game. Never, ever did I think I would see Lehigh football reach this prolonged level of awful. Before this season 96 and 97 or 2007-09 were the worst stretches during my fandom and even those brief periods were not truly terrible. More middling and frustrating....

Owl, good luck at Kansas State. BTW former NDSU HC Chris Klieman is the HC at KSU now. Ironically when I went down to Dallas in early 2012 to watch the FCS championship game, KSU fans were there too for a bowl game and staying at my hotel. AND may I note, in 96 and 97 Lehigh won as well as 08 and 09!

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 07:13 AM
I regret not attending the 2018 game now knowing what Coen was going through his last year or two as head coach. He deserved everyone's support! Granted, because 2018 turned out so bad, no one saw THAT complete dominance of the Leopards coming. Most thought Lafayette would win by default which would have made the end even sadder.....

The next day I read in the papers that night before the game he told the team this would be his last game. Not sure he shared with them the reason at that time but they did turn out for him. They hawk-handled the Leopards that game.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 08:47 AM
This will be my 52nd Lehigh-Lafayette Game going back to 1970, my freshman year. Missed only one game before the pandemic of 2020 in 1976. I have been approaching #158 with trepidation...until this past Saturday. I don't know if the players were playing for themselves or the coaches, (I think the former), but, regardless, they played their hearts out and pulled out a shocking come from behind win. Everything has been erratic..from the QB play, the defense, the penalties, it is a difficult game to really pick. I saw Leotards play 'gate on TV was impressed with their fight. I really think you can throw a blanket over the bottom 5 of the League this year, but particularly, Colgate, Lehigh and Laughyette. I think these three could play each other three times and come out with three different results. I got my best seats at Fisher Stadium I have ever had for a Rivalry game...in the visitors seats, in the nice warm sun! Unfortunately, I am told the reason, besides my advanced seniority, is that a lot of students aren't getting tickets for the game. A sad commentary. It really pisses me off. Will be taking my oldest granddaughter to the game this year, along with her mother who was at the "ice bowl" in 1987 at Taylor stadium at the age of 7. So, I am looking forward to a very nice day and a Lehigh win. I have been promised I will see Lehigh catch up to the 'pards in the series record before my demise, so here's to another notch!

November 19, 2022...That Time of the Month for the Pussies to Bleed!!! Go LEHIGH!! xhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhype dxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhu rrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayx xhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayxxhypedxxhurrayx

I heard from an unimpeachable source that Lehigh returned 3000 of its 5K allotment? I have never sat on Lehigh side but noted that pockets of brown are always present on our side, whether home or away. I know LU has a higher enrollment, therefore bigger alumni crowd.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Hey Im curious...does anyone know from Lehigh if Coen told them on game eve in 2018 WHY he was retiring? I just read the next morning in the papers up there that Coen (RIP) told the team (and NOT released until after game) that it was his very last game.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Pockets of the general public and alums still think it’s impossible to get tickets to the game. News flash, it’s not, especially when both teams stink.

Got an email about “watch parties” in several locations not very far from campus. Just get a ticket people.

CHIP72
November 14th, 2022, 01:08 PM
I heard from an unimpeachable source that Lehigh returned 3000 of its 5K allotment? I have never sat on Lehigh side but noted that pockets of brown are always present on our side, whether home or away. I know LU has a higher enrollment, therefore bigger alumni crowd.

The other factor is due to the layout of Fisher Stadium, where it is hard to get a good angle to watch games on the visitor's side due to the small number of (and lack of height of the) seats. There is no such issue in the upper half of the seats on the home side of Fisher Stadium.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2022, 06:52 PM

This game was the beginning of the end of John Garrett - and it was only his second year. We managed only a flippin' field goal!

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2022, 06:54 PM
2007 and 2008 Lehigh was pretty mediocre but much better than what we've seen unfold the past 3-4 years in Bethlehem. In 2009, you guys finished 4-7 but actually were a heartbeat away from upsetting league champ Holy Cross at home if not for Dom Randolph finding the tightest of windows on a 4th and 3 pass to Freddy Santana. And had you guys won that game and all other results held up the way they did, you guys would've won the league at 5-6. Even if HC had managed to not lose to Bucknell in the finale that year, you'd still have finished 5-6 (5-1) with the head-to-head tie breaker over Holy Cross. Crazy to think about. But that 2009 Lehigh team was on the rise and the seasons that followed were obviously terrific.

Lehigh did not win that 2009 game; Lafayette handed them the game. Lafayette was out coached - and Coen did not need to be brilliant. Frankosaurus earned his name that day.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2022, 05:54 AM

Great to see that you’re involving a new generation of “ngineers”! I took our son to the ‘97 H-Y game and our daughter to the ‘99 Game. To my surprise and delight, both teenagers had a good time.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Prepare for coldest L-L game in some years...partly cloudy, high of 38 in Easton and west wind 10-15 mph. Coldest I ever experienced by far since 1980 was 1987 - final game at Taylor Stadium. Did LU play all away games next year (obviously game would be in Easton anyway 1988, but the rest?). Another cold game was 1981 classic. And some damn warm ones - I recall 2009 very well.

crusader11
November 15th, 2022, 08:45 AM
This will be the fifth straight season (not including the corona spring season) where both Lehigh and Lafayette will enter and finish the game with worse than a .500 record. Longest streak in the series, I wonder?

Doc QB
November 15th, 2022, 09:58 AM
Nope. Opened Goodman with UMass I think upon Taylor closing. I was there, last game at Taylor, and first at Goodman. Pretty sure UMass was first.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Nope. Opened Goodman with UMass I think upon Taylor closing. I was there, last game at Taylor, and first at Goodman. Pretty sure UMass was first.

Cornell was the first opponent at Goodman in 1988.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2022, 03:12 PM

1989 opening?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2022, 03:38 PM
1989 opening?

10/1/88 Lehigh 27 Cornell 14 Goodman Stadium, Attendance: 13,000

The stadium was not completed until 1989. They still had to add the end sections to both upper levels between the '88 and '89 seasons which brought the final capacity to 16k. Although, technically it was more because of the bleacher area under the scoreboard.....

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2022, 04:16 PM
If Lehigh had to do it all over, would they have still razed Taylor for the new buildings on the main campus? I can't help but think if the Goodman gift went to a rebuild at that site, maintaining many (but not all) of the elements of the old place, the on-campus atmosphere would have been outstanding and the academic buildings could have gone elsewhere.

Then again, I thought Pitt should have never left its old home, too.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/taylor.jpg

Southsider
November 15th, 2022, 04:57 PM

No Doc. It was Cornell. Umass was the 1000th game. LU got smoked!

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2022, 06:42 PM
10/1/88 Lehigh 27 Cornell 14 Goodman Stadium, Attendance: 13,000

The stadium was not completed until 1989. They still had to add the end sections to both upper levels between the '88 and '89 seasons which brought the final capacity to 16k. Although, technically it was more because of the bleacher area under the scoreboard.....

Thank you...a momentous day

ngineer
November 15th, 2022, 09:18 PM

the conforms to what I was told about why I have such good seats this year. Most of the 2,000 tickets that were taken were likely the senior class (about 1,200) and, likely, mostly freshmen who would be experiencing their first Rivalry game. Sad state of affairs.

ngineer
November 15th, 2022, 09:22 PM
Lehigh did not win that 2009 game; Lafayette handed them the game. Lafayette was out coached - and Coen did not need to be brilliant. Frankosaurus earned his name that day.

Just like Frank helped us in 2010 ( I think) when we had the great goal line stand when the Frankosaurus ran it into the line four straight times and losing yardage.

- - - Updated - - -

Tru 'dat...

ngineer
November 15th, 2022, 09:26 PM
Prepare for coldest L-L game in some years...partly cloudy, high of 38 in Easton and west wind 10-15 mph. Coldest I ever experienced by far since 1980 was 1987 - final game at Taylor Stadium. Did LU play all away games next year (obviously game would be in Easton anyway 1988, but the rest?). Another cold game was 1981 classic. And some damn warm ones - I recall 2009 very well.

No Lehigh opened at Goodman in 1988 with Cornell...13,000+ in attendance. I was at the 'ice bowl' of 1987...and will have my long underwear on this year. At least it will be sunny and good to be sitting in the northern stands (though view of scoreboard will suck).

ngineer
November 15th, 2022, 09:30 PM
If Lehigh had to do it all over, would they have still razed Taylor for the new buildings on the main campus? I can't help but think if the Goodman gift went to a rebuild at that site, maintaining many (but not all) of the elements of the old place, the on-campus atmosphere would have been outstanding and the academic buildings could have gone elsewhere.

Then again, I thought Pitt should have never left its old home, too.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/taylor.jpg

I loved Taylor as you can see how close the seats were to the field. The players felt like the fans were on top of them, along with the stomping one the steel upper deck on the south side.. However, there was no more space for the academic buildings they wanted to erect, and had acquired the valley property in early 1960's for an athletic campus. We still had great attendance up until 12 years ago. So the 'distance' to get there wasn't a problem for 20+ years.

Doc QB
November 16th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Thanks Owl and Southsider for correction.
I was at both games. Didnt remember imbibing enough to have the memory of each game so faint.
Must be old age or CTE.

Southsider
November 16th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Thanks Owl and Southsider for correction.
I was at both games. Didnt remember imbibing enough to have the memory of each game so faint.
Must be old age or CTE.

Ha! It only gets worse. Trust me. I know xnodx

ngineer
November 16th, 2022, 08:01 PM
Hey Im curious...does anyone know from Lehigh if Coen told them on game eve in 2018 WHY he was retiring? I just read the next morning in the papers up there that Coen (RIP) told the team (and NOT released until after game) that it was his very last game.

Do not know if team was told, then, the reason. However, I do know from being there that they came out on fire. If you recall the first play of the game from scrimmage when our DE sacked the QB causing the ball to pop in the air, caught by the DE and taken to the house. Our portion of the attendees went nuts and the team never stopped.

ngineer
November 16th, 2022, 08:35 PM
At least we are back to having our "annual" "Beat Lafayette Luncheon" this Friday. Obviously, cancelled in 2020, and last year was limited to just the players and their parents. Traditionally, there is a pre-luncheon cocktail party with all 50 Game Attendees recognized. This Friday will be the first time in two years that people will gather together and re-start the tradition. The 2020 was to have been my 50th. "Received credit" for the Game in Spring 2021, and then, last year's game in Goodman. So this will be my 52nd Game "officially" though my first Luncheon as a "50 Gamer". So many traditions have been going by the wayside. I am glad this is still surviving.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2022, 12:26 AM
Owl, good luck at Kansas State. BTW former NDSU HC Chris Klieman is the HC at KSU now. Ironically when I went down to Dallas in early 2012 to watch the FCS championship game, KSU fans were there too for a bowl game and staying at my hotel.

Thank You!

My ties to NDSU led me to K-State. Had it not been for Covid I would be working at NDSU! As things turned out, I was referred to someone who followed AD Gene Taylor from Fargo to Manhattan who then encouraged me to come out this past March and check out the school. The rest is history! I am eagerly looking forward to working with Kansas State to advance counseling practices/academic support systems for student-athletes! There's also a chance I can remain connected in some capacity to golf thanks to having direct access to their excellent university run course, Colbert Hills. I have not met one person who has said a bad word about K-State or Manhattan. Heck, the Princeton Review (for what it's worth) has Kansas State #1 in "Best Quality of Life"! #2 is Vanderbilt!!

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Pard faithful, didn’t we have a new message board at some point? If so, can someone drop the link?

The google just takes me to the old suspended site.

Southsider
November 17th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Do not know if team was told, then, the reason. However, I do know from being there that they came out on fire. If you recall the first play of the game from scrimmage when our DE sacked the QB causing the ball to pop in the air, caught by the DE and taken to the house. Our portion of the attendees went nuts and the team never stopped.

Also, IIRC, the Lafayette "band" played way to long at the half, so the LU band started their program and marched right through them. What a sight!

CHIP72
November 17th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Pard faithful, didn’t we have a new message board at some point? If so, can someone drop the link?

Heh, heh - I’ve had the same issue.

When you get to the old site, there should be a Tapatalk menu drop-down in the upper left. If you click on that, you should see “Lafayette College Forum” (aka Pardsville) as an option if you’ve already joined it.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Heh, heh - I’ve had the same issue.

When you get to the old site, there should be a Tapatalk menu drop-down in the upper left. If you click on that, you should see “Lafayette College Forum” (aka Pardsville) as an option if you’ve already joined it.

Ahh, thanks chipper

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2022, 06:58 PM

PARDSVILLE!! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pardsville/

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2022, 07:02 PM
Just like Frank helped us in 2010 ( I think) when we had the great goal line stand when the Frankosaurus ran it into the line four straight times and losing yardage.

Yes, he did it again. Unreal. Watch the sequence on YouTube. I mean, I'd like to credit the opponent when they out fox you but COME ON! The LB was in the backfield, through the gap before the RB even gets the ball! I was going nuts in the stands. Frank would have been fired in the SEC for this. 1:30. Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06_RCoM51o

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2022, 07:04 PM
Another harbinger of the sad state of affairs... post/ad from Lafayette on Facebook yesterday saying tickets are available! Will attendance break 10,000???

Doc QB
November 18th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Question to the Pard, HC, and Fordham faithful. How many fifth year guys you have? I understand HC has over a dozen, and that combined with better coaching, is showing well.
Reason I ask, is Keith Groller's article today in the Morning Call, regarding The Rivarly, makes mention of the CAA advantages with redshirting.
Well, if we still have less, and didnt take advantage of COVID relief and allowing them, thats on us, and our results against the CAA may not be surprising.
But, if LU and LC have a reasonable amount of fifth year guys, and LU still got pasted by a good Richmond team, a mediocre Villanova, and a mediocre Monmouth, it says a lot about the 5th players we kept around, right?

Or does it still reflect on coaching? Recognizing quality players, recruiting them to campus, developing them, and proper game planning...all facets of the coaching. At Lehigh, we're not doing that as well as we should or expect to.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-spt-lehigh-lafayette-football-20221118-oylqiunxsvgfllfrelhe572zqe-story.html

The gap between the Colonial Athletic Association, considered the SEC of FCS football at least in the eastern half of the country, and the Patriot League has grown in recent years. Lehigh lost to Villanova, Richmond. and Monmouth by a combined 110-30. Lafayette fell to its lone CAA opponent, William & Mary, 34-7.
There was also a time when the Ivy League and Patriot League were on fairly equal terms. Lehigh and Lafayette went 0-4 against the Ivies this year with both programs losing to Princeton.
The CAA has had a huge advantage over the Patriot League in regard to redshirting, which means allowing a student-athlete to be a part of the program, practice and attend classes and do everything the regular players can except participate in games.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2022, 10:15 AM
William & Mary and Richmond have good (i.e. likely playoff) teams this year. Villanova is so-so, Monmouth a little lower than that.

RichH2
November 18th, 2022, 05:41 PM
Another harbinger of the sad state of affairs... post/ad from Lafayette on Facebook yesterday saying tickets are available! Will attendance break 10,000???

LU had very few but did have its 1st 6th year. Why? A very small senior class,covid,and earlier transfers. Next year we could have a rather large group but a new HC and staff may limit that. Hopefully,LU can get its injured seniors back on O.L. PL still requires 5th yrs to have academic need to play. Is that being enforced for covid extensions? Not sure.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2022, 07:21 PM
Question to the Pard, HC, and Fordham faithful. How many fifth year guys you have? I understand HC has over a dozen, and that combined with better coaching, is showing well.
Reason I ask, is Keith Groller's article today in the Morning Call, regarding The Rivarly, makes mention of the CAA advantages with redshirting.
Well, if we still have less, and didnt take advantage of COVID relief and allowing them, thats on us, and our results against the CAA may not be surprising.
But, if LU and LC have a reasonable amount of fifth year guys, and LU still got pasted by a good Richmond team, a mediocre Villanova, and a mediocre Monmouth, it says a lot about the 5th players we kept around, right?

Or does it still reflect on coaching? Recognizing quality players, recruiting them to campus, developing them, and proper game planning...all facets of the coaching. At Lehigh, we're not doing that as well as we should or expect to.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-spt-lehigh-lafayette-football-20221118-oylqiunxsvgfllfrelhe572zqe-story.html

The gap between the Colonial Athletic Association, considered the SEC of FCS football at least in the eastern half of the country, and the Patriot League has grown in recent years. Lehigh lost to Villanova, Richmond. and Monmouth by a combined 110-30. Lafayette fell to its lone CAA opponent, William & Mary, 34-7.
There was also a time when the Ivy League and Patriot League were on fairly equal terms. Lehigh and Lafayette went 0-4 against the Ivies this year with both programs losing to Princeton.
The CAA has had a huge advantage over the Patriot League in regard to redshirting, which means allowing a student-athlete to be a part of the program, practice and attend classes and do everything the regular players can except participate in games.

I do not have numbers but I think we have a fair share - such as Hamm and Olivas on D. Our defense is second in the PL.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2022, 10:25 PM
Besides Troxell when was last time a Lafayette alum coached the Pards?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Cold, windy day in Easton for #158!

I have Lehigh winning 20-17 in OT with a formal announcement being made on Monday morning stating Gilmore will not be returning to South Mountain. We can dream right?!?! Regardless of the outcome, Lehigh needs to take whatever steps are necessary to return to national relevance....

Bill
November 19th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Cold, windy day in Easton for #158!

I have Lehigh winning 20-17 in OT with a formal announcement being made on Monday morning stating Gilmore will not be returning to South Mountain. We can dream right?!?! Regardless of the outcome, Lehigh needs to take whatever steps are necessary to return to national relevance....

Well...at least they have lights in Easton for your OT pickxrolleyesx

We won't need nearby car lights lighting the field for OT catches in the endzone!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Not a fan of Lehigh's all white look.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Lafayette's defense has already given up two 3rd and longs. Not a good start for the Leopards' defense.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Even though Lehigh didn't score any points on their first possession, they did a good job reversing field position after starting at their own 10 yard line.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:46 AM
Wow, what a play for the Leopards - 71 yard TD run up the middle almost untouched.

Lafayette ahead 7-0.

The key play was converting 3rd and long from their own 10 yard line on the first set of downs on that possession.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 11:48 AM
Lehigh's defense gives up a 71 yard run. As bad as Lehigh's defense was at the end of Coen's tenure I don't think they gave up this many big plays in one season. Every game it's 3-4 TD's over 40 yards being allowed.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:51 AM
I'm trying to post comments here, on the Lehigh Sports Forum, and the Lafayette Sports Forum/Pardsville. Lots of typing and copying and pasting, LOL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Pick 6 for the 'Pards! Boom!

Lafayette 14-0 7:02 1Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Holy crap - Lafayette intercepts a screen pass and returns it nearly 50 yards for a touchdown! The Leopards lead 14-0 midway through the 1st quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 11:53 AM
Holy **** - Lafayette intercepts a screen pass and returns it nearly 50 yards for a touchdown! The Leopards lead 14-0 midway through the 1st quarter.

Even the Lehigh offense gives up big scoring plays!...lol

What a disaster this season has been for Lehigh....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Lehigh's offense has moved the ball so far, but big plays on both sides of the ball are killing the Mountain Hawks right now.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 11:58 AM
Nice tackle by Lafayette, stopping Lehigh 3 and out after the INT TD return. The Mountain Hawks are on their heels right now; they need a stop.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:04 PM
Lafayette's wide receivers have already made some nice blocks on outside passes and runs in this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Lehigh has had several penalties, Yadush just called them out for being disorganized. Gilmore is out on the field ranting and raving at the secondary. This is sad to watch.....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:08 PM
I think Lafayette should go for it on 4th and 1.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Lehigh has had several penalties, Yadush just called them out for being disorganized. Gilmore is out on the field ranting and raving at the secondary. This is sad to watch.....

Don't forget the timeout because the defense wasn't lined up properly.

Lafayette converts the 4th down but fumbles, but the officials rule the runner down. Cannot believe they didn't overturn the non-fumble call.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Lehigh just got robbed! Lafayette player obviously not down, reviewed yet not overturned! That was complete BS!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Don't forget the timeout because the defense wasn't lined up properly.

Lafayette converts the 4th down but fumbles. Cannot believe they didn't overturn the fumble.

How the hell does that not get overturned?!?! Blatantly not down and obvious Lehigh recovery!!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Both teams committing stupid, mental mistake penalties right now.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Smart squib punt by Lafayette; the ball hit a Lehigh player and Leopards came very close to recovering the loose ball.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:29 PM
Really conservative play call by Lafayette on 3rd and 12. Not a fan of the run up the middle in that spot.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Lehigh has gained at least 30 yards on three of its first four possessions, so they are moving the ball, but big plays are the difference so far in this game.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Two big Lafayette penalties have given Lehigh life (and 30 yards).

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Now that the emotion has worn off and the two teams has settled in the game has very much turned into a slop fest. Just a lot of bad football....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:41 PM
Lehigh gets on the board with a 27 yard FG. Lafayette still leads 14-3.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Did not like the swing pass call by Lafayette on 3rd and long. Lehigh will probably get the ball back for a second straight possession with good field position.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:03 PM
This game has turned into a real slog. Neither team did much offensively in the 2nd quarter. Lafayette leads 14-3 at halftime.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:28 PM
The Leopards have 25 yards of offense and zero 1st downs on their last four offensive possessions. Lehigh forced them into another 3 and out on the opening possession of the 2nd half.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Lafayette’s offense has had five straight possessions without a 1st down.

However, Lehigh muffs the punt, and Lafayette recovers. The Leopards’ offense starts near midfield.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Make that six straight Lafayette offensive possessions without a 1st down. Nice job by the Lehigh defense on the 3rd and 2 LC toss sweep play, forcing a 4 yard loss.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:44 PM
I’m not going to lie - this game is making me sleepy. However, I’m still probably not as sleepy as the two offenses have been in the last 1 1/2 quarters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 01:48 PM
I’m not going to lie - this game is making me sleepy. However, I’m still probably not as sleepy as the two offenses have been in the last 1 1/2 quarters.

I'm watching by Baylor-TCU, Michigan-Illinois, Harvard-Yale etc. are all far more compelling at this point...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Mike Yadush lost it again when Lehigh had to call timeout for a FG. Guys simply not knowing their responsibilities in week 11/12. Pathetic....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Lehigh puts together a nice drive that started inside their own 10 yard line, though they bogged down inside the Lafayette 15 yard line. However, the Mountain Hawks miss the 29 yard FG attempt.

The miss came after they were forced to call a timeout after only having 10 men on the field. Inexcusable.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Lehigh puts together a nice drive that started inside their own 10 yard line, though they bogged down inside the Lafayette 15 yard line. However, the Mountain Hawks miss the 29 yard FG attempt.

The miss came after they were forced to call a timeout after only having 10 men on the field. Inexcusable.

Fitting the FG was missed. What a poorly led football team....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Seven straight 3 and out Lafayette possessions. It hasn’t mattered though, because Lehigh’s offense has largely been ineffective, and when they have moved the ball, they’ve become effective at shooting themselves in the foot before they get the ball to the end zone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:11 PM
TD Lehigh! Johnson with an awesome catch!! 2 pt conversion no good.....not sure I get going for 2 with 12 minutes left...

Lafayette 14 Lehigh 9 12:05 4Q

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Lehigh takes advantage of a short field to put together a solid drive for a touchdown, capped by a very good catch in the end zone. They fail on the 2 point possession, but the Mountain Hawks pull within 14-9 with about 12 minutes left in regulation.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:17 PM
The streak is over! Lafayette gets their first 1st down in 8 possessions, or since late in the 1st quarter.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Did not like Lafayette calling a timeout there. Either run the play or take the penalty and punt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Did not like Lafayette calling a timeout there. Either run the play or take the penalty and punt.

Even so, this is turning into one helluva a clock eating drive. The Pards have flipped the field too...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Lehigh inside the Pard 20 with under 2 minutes left!!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Lehigh with a big pass play from near midfield to about the LC 16 yard line. There’s 1:58 left.

If the Mountain Hawks score a touchdown here, I can’t see Lafayette moving the ball enough to even attempt a game-tying or winning FG (or score a touchdown for that matter).

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Lafayette’s defense stiffens, forces a tipped pass on 4th and 10, and stops Lehigh at the LC 16 yard line.

It appears likely the Leopards will hold on for the win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Hamm gets pressure on Perri to stop Lehigh on 4th and 10 at the Pard 15....

That wasted Lehigh timeout would come in handy now. Even so, 9 points despite moving the ball. Just terrible execution when it matters....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Lafayette takes the intentional safety, keeping in mind Lehigh’s weak FG kicking unit. The Leopards lead 14-11 with 13 seconds remaining.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Lehigh has been real good at committing penalties at the worst times today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Lehigh gets a personal foul on the punt return. Mike Yodush has stopped commentating after all these Lehigh mistakes. He's embarrassed by Lehigh's execution, use of timeouts and penalties...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Lafayette wins 14-11!

Given how pathetic this was including a post game fight Gilmore has to go. What an embarrassing end...just awful....

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Lafayette with a game ending sack; they hold on for a 14-11 win.

Lehigh outgained Lafayette yardage-wise 404-180 today; 71 yards of the Leopards’ yards came on their early touchdown run. The Mountain Hawks also had 27 1st downs to LC’s 9 1st downs. But Lafayette won the most important statistic.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Has Gilmore been fired yet? What more are we waiting for?

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 04:07 PM
Yes, he did it again. Unreal. Watch the sequence on YouTube. I mean, I'd like to credit the opponent when they out fox you but COME ON! The LB was in the backfield, through the gap before the RB even gets the ball! I was going nuts in the stands. Frank would have been fired in the SEC for this. 1:30. Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06_RCoM51o

Thanks! Just watched it as I've been away a couple days...and after today's abysmal showing, it gave me something to smile about. That was the worse football game I've seen since...two weeks ago when we lost to Bucknell. Horrendous. Two lousy teams and the team with fewer mistakes won. Should be a decent 'feel good' win for Troxell in getting started at Leopardville. I hope it is a springboard for Sterrett to jettison Gilmore....

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 04:11 PM
Lafayette with a game ending sack; they hold on for a 14-11 win.

Lehigh outgained Lafayette yardage-wise 404-180 today; 71 yards of the Leopards’ yards came on their early touchdown run. The Mountain Hawks also had 27 1st downs to LC’s 9 1st downs. But Lafayette won the most important statistic.

UFR! Walking down the hill from the stadium I said to my daughter, I bet we had at least twice as many yards and Lafayette's one offensive touchdown made up most of day's yardage for them. Once of the worse games I have EVER witnessed. I don't know where to start...so I won't. Gilmore should be packing, now.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 04:12 PM
I hope it is a springboard for Sterrett to jettison Gilmore....

Springboard? I hope it is the final straw!

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Mike Yadush lost it again when Lehigh had to call timeout for a FG. Guys simply not knowing their responsibilities in week 11/12. Pathetic....

There is no special teams coach on the roster. I can only presume the 'duties' are shared. Also no kicking coach, either. Gilmore screaming at people on the sideline for not knowing what they were to do? He should have fun screaming in the mirror.

Doc QB
November 19th, 2022, 04:35 PM
How the hell does that not get overturned?!?! Blatantly not down and obvious Lehigh recovery!!
I was in press box on radio.
replay crew didn’t have Service Electric’s camera views.

Doc QB
November 19th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Congrats to the Pards.
You made the big plays. All two of them.
LU loses to a bad team.
That makes LU a really bad team.

I think Trox will improve the Leopards a bunch. Future Ok in Easton, but will take awhile, u have nothing on O.
Lehigh is so far off. Don’t know where to begin.

As I prepped for radio, I recalled MVP ghosts of rivalries past, guys who ran all over LU (Costello, Marsh, McCourt, Hurt, Scheurman) and guys who did thru the air (Kempa, Semp, Stambaugh, Lum, Shaf). Neither of us have those guys now.

Hope both programs turn it around. Makes the rivalry far more fun.

Happy Turkey Day to all.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 05:13 PM
UFR! Walking down the hill from the stadium I said to my daughter, I bet we had at least twice as many yards and Lafayette's one offensive touchdown made up most of day's yardage for them. Once of the worse games I have EVER witnessed. I don't know where to start...so I won't. Gilmore should be packing, now.

Lafayette had SEVEN straight offensive possessions (all of them in the 2nd and 3rd quarters) without a 1st down…and still won. That tells you what you need to know about Lehigh.

Southsider
November 19th, 2022, 06:01 PM
Started at 8 am at the Republican Club on the Southside, with former players/fans of both teams. All in all, had a great day. Game went pretty much as expected. Lost a bet to my nephew, (former Laf. player). I must wear a Laf. shirt for Thanksgivingxbowx Crowd better than I expected. LU students did their part. Quite vocal. It's got to get better, right????

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Pards win 14-11

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Lafayette wins 14-11!

Given how pathetic this was including a post game fight Gilmore has to go. What an embarrassing end...just awful....

GLTUOwl - you found out today there's something worse than watching one ugly game where your team loses...and that's watching TWO ugly games where your team loses.

(For everyone else - Temple lost to Cincinnati 23-3 in a game in which the Owls' defense played pretty well but their offense made many mistakes...sort of like Lehigh today actually.)

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 08:41 PM
Congrats to the Pards.
You made the big plays. All two of them.
LU loses to a bad team.
That makes LU a really bad team.

I think Trox will improve the Leopards a bunch. Future Ok in Easton, but will take awhile, u have nothing on O.
Lehigh is so far off. Don’t know where to begin.

As I prepped for radio, I recalled MVP ghosts of rivalries past, guys who ran all over LU (Costello, Marsh, McCourt, Hurt, Scheurman) and guys who did thru the air (Kempa, Semp, Stambaugh, Lum, Shaf). Neither of us have those guys now.

Hope both programs turn it around. Makes the rivalry far more fun.

Happy Turkey Day to all.

Turn around cannot come fast enough..worst season since 1967! I actually think Lehigh has some decent players, but there certainly appeared to be a lack of focus as witnessed by the sordid execution, stupid ass penalties, and dumbass play calling. Hopefully, Silbor makes a very good and quick recovery. He seems to be the future as the current QB is horribly erratic.
He is a gamer, but passes are all over the map. Lehigh needs a true QB coach or 'whisperer'. Since Folmar left, our QB development has stagnated.

gravalico
November 20th, 2022, 04:00 AM
I was in the locker room after the game. Coach Trox thanked his team for a season of hard work. He paid special attention to the seniors. He told them that they did right by the school and the alumni by beating Lehigh and ensured themselves a memory of a lifetime by doing so. He then invited a very eager President Hurd to address the team. She thanked the players and recounted one of the first conversations she had with Trox when she said to him, "we're going to build something great together". She had tears in her eyes as she addressed the team and apologized for getting emotional. When, if ever, has a college President emotionally addressed the football team in the locker room after a game? I texted John later in the evening to congratulate him on a great first season on which to build. I thanked him for inviting me and my 10 year old son into the locker room twice this year. I said you've given him memories that will last his whole life. Johnny replied thanking me for the support and "always know Lafayette is your home". John gets it. He's building something great. It was clear his players get it, the administration gets it, the alumni get it (a very elated Jack Bourger was in the locker room as well). Finally this program is headed in the right direction. Go Pards!

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2022, 06:16 AM
I was in the locker room after the game. Coach Trox thanked his team for a season of hard work. He paid special attention to the seniors. He told them that they did right by the school and the alumni by beating Lehigh and ensured themselves a memory of a lifetime by doing so. He then invited a very eager President Hurd to address the team. She thanked the players and recounted one of the first conversations she had with Trox when she said to him, "we're going to build something great together". She had tears in her eyes as she addressed the team and apologized for getting emotional. When, if ever, has a college President emotionally addressed the football team in the locker room after a game? I texted John later in the evening to congratulate him on a great first season on which to build. I thanked him for inviting me and my 10 year old son into the locker room twice this year. I said you've given him memories that will last his whole life. Johnny replied thanking me for the support and "always know Lafayette is your home". John gets it. He's building something great. It was clear his players get it, the administration gets it, the alumni get it (a very elated Jack Bourger was in the locker room as well). Finally this program is headed in the right direction. Go Pards!

Indeed. It was my 43rd game. I really feel Trox is the right fit. How special that Hamm got that tipped pass and then the final sack! I was hollering as the play unfolded him, a la Johnny Most, "Hamm sacked him, Hamm sacked him!!!" I hope Marco returns for another year.

- - - Updated - - -

CHIP72
November 20th, 2022, 10:24 AM
FWIW, the announced attendance for this game was 11,882 people. That is about 850 people more than the announced attendance for L-L 154 in 2018 in Easton but still over 1000 people short of Fisher Stadium capacity.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2022, 05:52 PM
Attendance could have been worse but I'll take it given the state of things. Football was difficult to watch but the game sure had drama and felt like we got our money's worth out of this one. Lehigh crowd was very lackluster - heard only one F Lafayette and Let's go Lehigh chant all game and that was with minutes left in the game... not that I am complaining! I feel that this is payback for last year's Lehigh win - Lafayette put up better numbers but still lost.

gravalico
November 20th, 2022, 07:51 PM
This turnaround isn't an overnight thing. 5 years of Garrett is absolutely going to leave a mark. And though I believe the turnaround is officially underway this year was mostly tough football to watch interspersed with some moments of brilliance. If Trox has a few good years of recruiting and continues to make progress there's no reason in the world to think we can't take a page from HC's book and start to dominate. And with domination comes bigger crowds as evidenced by the HC v. Fordham game this year. It would actually be great if Lehigh kept pace because every hero needs a villain and I think we can all agree Lehigh is the villain. Oh and by the way...that too will pass. People seem to forget that HC used to suck once too. It's all cyclical. Peaks and valleys is absolutely the norm. What I love about Lafayette's situation is that our guy now has his dream job based in his hometown. I don't know that Trox had plans to leave no matter how successful he is. Hell he spent 16 years at f&m. I'm hoping our peak lasts a good long time.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2022, 12:56 PM
Bucknell fired offensive staff today.

Gilmore still here, huh? Sterrett seems to operate like it’s 1999. If Tom is getting fired, it needs to be done Monday morning.

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2022, 02:58 PM
Bucknell fired offensive staff today.

Gilmore still here, huh? Sterrett seems to operate like it’s 1999. If Tom is getting fired, it needs to be done Monday morning.

All of the O staff?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2022, 03:24 PM
Gilmore gone!?! Rumor on the Lehigh board suggesting so?!?!

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2022, 04:50 PM
All of the O staff?

I think so, was on football scoop earlier:

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2022, 09:44 PM
This turnaround isn't an overnight thing. 5 years of Garrett is absolutely going to leave a mark. And though I believe the turnaround is officially underway this year was mostly tough football to watch interspersed with some moments of brilliance. If Trox has a few good years of recruiting and continues to make progress there's no reason in the world to think we can't take a page from HC's book and start to dominate. And with domination comes bigger crowds as evidenced by the HC v. Fordham game this year. It would actually be great if Lehigh kept pace because every hero needs a villain and I think we can all agree Lehigh is the villain. Oh and by the way...that too will pass. People seem to forget that HC used to suck once too. It's all cyclical. Peaks and valleys is absolutely the norm. What I love about Lafayette's situation is that our guy now has his dream job based in his hometown. I don't know that Trox had plans to leave no matter how successful he is. Hell he spent 16 years at f&m. I'm hoping our peak lasts a good long time.

Tavani started at a very low point and had righted the ship by 2002 - took three years. What really helped was we had a few star players: Weyrauch, McCourt, Partridge, Glavic to name a few... not sure we win as quickly without Glavic slinging the ball all over the field and offense putting up points. It created a positive feedback loop. I always though Tavani was a good recruiter but then you had the 2010-2016 disaster. And for some reason I do not think we can get as good players as we did without scholarships (ironic). Too much competition in the region now with the scholarship NEC (sans academic requirements).

What do we have to build off of now? With the defensive stars graduating... honestly... not much. We have some good players, but nothing more than role players. I do not see any game changers on our roster. Please tell me I am ignorant as I mentally checked out most of the season.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2022, 11:13 PM
Saturday's game was the first time Lehigh had scored 11 points as a final score since 1908. xdrunkyx

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2022, 11:40 AM
Gilmore lost last 3 of 4 vs Lafayette...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2022, 11:44 AM
Gilmore lost last 3 of 4 vs Lafayette...

The man literally accomplished nothing. He actually led the program into a decline, 4 wins, 3 wins, 2 wins. His first year the team was somewhat interesting to watch simply because there were still holdovers who succeeded under Coen.

He will go down as the worst football coach in the modern era by a mile and arguably the worst in school history given the program's success the last 50 years.

gravalico
November 22nd, 2022, 02:41 PM
Tavani started at a very low point and had righted the ship by 2002 - took three years. What really helped was we had a few star players: Weyrauch, McCourt, Partridge, Glavic to name a few... not sure we win as quickly without Glavic slinging the ball all over the field and offense putting up points. It created a positive feedback loop. I always though Tavani was a good recruiter but then you had the 2010-2016 disaster. And for some reason I do not think we can get as good players as we did without scholarships (ironic). Too much competition in the region now with the scholarship NEC (sans academic requirements).

What do we have to build off of now? With the defensive stars graduating... honestly... not much. We have some good players, but nothing more than role players. I do not see any game changers on our roster. Please tell me I am ignorant as I mentally checked out most of the season.I agree that star players would help but I would suggest that many of the old stars you mentioned absolutely grew into the roles. If there was any silver lining to this year is we had a ton of freshman and sophomores start and/or get significant playing time. We have some very promising young talent on both sides of the ball coming back upon which Trox can build. Given that Trox didn't even have a full compliment of scholarship players from which to draw I'd say he did an admirable job. Keep in mind this team beat a 3 time repeat league champ in Sacred Heart, played an FBS team respectably and took the number 5 team in the country down to the wire. All with a roster that was a couple of notches north of a bag of balls due to injury and Garrett (same thing). I would also point out they had a kicking game that was inept to say the least. I swear I thought the punter was "on the take" half the time. I'm 51 years old and I can't touch my toes but I would have done only marginally worse than that guy. He caused us AT Least 2 victories including Holy Cross. Plus this is hardly the first time Trox has turned a program around. He knows how to do it. It's only going to get better.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2022, 04:41 PM
Saturday's game was the first time Lehigh had scored 11 points as a final score since 1908. xdrunkyx

That's okay. We haven't scored 106 as a final score since 1889, either! Just being a 'Nit' picker!xsmiley_wix

Southsider
November 23rd, 2022, 07:49 AM
Was Gilmore the only LU coach to lose to Georgetown?

ngineer
November 23rd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Was Gilmore the only LU coach to lose to Georgetown?

No. The only coach was Coen, in his last year of 2018, in overtime, I think, 22-16, at Georgetown.