PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 12

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2022, 06:56 PM
The worst Patriot League season since its founding in 1986 comes to an end. Should Lehigh and Fordham win, five of the seven teams will have eight or more losses in a single season. It's the last week for a lot of players and maybe a few coaches, too. Here we go:

Lehigh (2-8) at Lafayette (3-7), 12:30 pm
(Is Tom Gilmore coaching for his job?)

Holy Cross (10-0) at Georgetown (2-8), 12:30 pm
(Will there be a running clock?)

Colgate (3-7) at Fordham (8-2), 1:00 pm
(Can the Red Raiders avoid its worst finish since 1995?)

Marist (4-6) at Bucknell (2-8), 1:00 pm
(Can the Bison beat a non-Patriot League team?)

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham
Marist

bonarae
November 12th, 2022, 08:08 PM
Lafayette
HC
Fordham
Marist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordham
November 12th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Let’s wait to see if the PL gets two bids and then how far those teams go before ever throwing a label like “worst Patriot League season ever.”

I’m curious what the consensus is on the best PL season ever and why?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2022, 11:04 PM
I will start the final week with some good gossip....

Bob Chesney to Syracuse?
Tom Gilmore mercifully gone?
Stan Dakosty a blowout loss from not being retained?
Sgarlata finally going to explore his options? Maybe a nice coordinator gig at a winning program?
Will Cecchini be back in Lewisburg? Does he want to return? I still believe he would get FBS offers as an OC.
Will Fordham get an at-large bid?
Will Holy Cross get a seed?

crusader11
November 12th, 2022, 11:09 PM
Believe HC is seeking to accomplish an undefeated regular season for a PL team for the first time since Colgate in 2003?

Interestingly enough, Colgate beat Buffalo that season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2022, 11:12 PM
Believe HC is seeking to accomplish an undefeated regular season for a PL team for the first time since Colgate in 2003?

That is correct. Colgate went 9-0 against FCS competition in 2018 but lost to Army.

Should Holy Cross go undefeated they will tie Lehigh for the most perfect records in the PL era with 3; Lehigh 1998, 2000, 2001 and Holy Cross 1987, 1991 and 2022.

Of note, Colgate's win over 10-0 Bucknell in the 1997 regular season finale not only denied the Bison a perfect record, the Raiders also captured the league's first ever automatic bid to the playoffs.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2022, 01:41 AM
That is correct. Colgate went 9-0 against FCS competition in 2018 but lost to Army.

Should Holy Cross go undefeated they will tie Lehigh for the most perfect records in the PL era with 3; Lehigh 1998, 2000, 2001 and Holy Cross 1987, 1991 and 2022.

Of note, Colgate's win over 10-0 Bucknell in the 1997 regular season finale not only denied the Bison a perfect record, the Raiders also captured the league's first ever automatic bid to the playoffs.

The late Tom Gadd's greatest team and defending 1996 PL Champions. We beat them in the rain and snow in Hamilton. Gadd graciously congratulated Biddle and the Colgate squad after the game. The Red Raiders traveled to #1 Villanova for the playoffs and gave them a hell of a game before falling 49-28.

The Cats
November 13th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Fordham
Marist

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 08:43 AM

It seemed like a Patriot League team beating Buffalo was an annual thing during the early 2000's. De ja vu this year. UB might be only FBS team with a losing record against the Patriot League, not counting games before the league was formed. Temple is at least .500 (Fordham L in '13, Lafayette W in '22).

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 08:49 AM

And 25 years later, that's still the zenith of their tenure in the league. They did have a reputation of a Giant killer in the late 2000's, beating the already-crowned PL champ in the season finale twice in three years, Fordham in 2007 and Holy Cross in 2009. They were seemingly always tagged as the pre-season most improved during that time and always came back as the same old Bucknell. Then I believe they had an 8-win season in 2014 where they hosted Fordham in late October or early November in a night game where the winner would grab the inside track for the auto-bid. They lost -- and haven't had a season near that since. That Bucknell team beat HC in OT on a frigid mid-November game at Fitton that I attended. One of the classic Tom Gilmore clock management disasters at the end of regulation IIRC.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Lehigh 27 Lafayette 24 -- Gilmore carried off the field after a Gatorade bath and he announces his retirement following the game. And the Lehigh rebuilding segment begins.
Holy Cross 41 Georgetown 17
Fordham 38 Colgate 13 -- Colgate D manages to stave off some of the extra "style points" Rams were hoping for but a re-sounding win nonetheless heading into selection Sunday
Bucknell 20 Marist 17 -- somebody please get a panoramic screenshot of Mathewson at the 8:00 mark of the 1st quarter so we can count actual attendance. I'm saying 218.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 08:58 AM
The late Tom Gadd's greatest team and defending 1996 PL Champions. We beat them in the rain and snow in Hamilton. Gadd graciously congratulated Biddle and the Colgate squad after the game. The Red Raiders traveled to #1 Villanova for the playoffs and gave them a hell of a game before falling 49-28.

I forgot Bucknell actually won the PL in 1996. Perhaps that's the worst year ever for the PL if that's the case. Bucknell got destroyed by William & Mary that year 47-0. I also went to a Bucknell-Army game at West Point either in 1995 or 1996, can't remember which. Was somewhat respectable given the Black Knights were pretty decent in '95 and really good in '96 -- 31-6 final IIRC.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=Go Lehigh TU owl;3091975]I will start the final week with some good gossip....

Bob Chesney to Syracuse? Are they really ready to fire Dino Babers over a couple bad games? I think not.
Tom Gilmore mercifully gone? Is his contract up? This is year 4. If he somehow has 1 year remaining, Lehigh needs to buy him out and thank him for everything he's done for the league.
Stan Dakosty a blowout loss from not being retained? Yes
Sgarlata finally going to explore his options? Maybe a nice coordinator gig at a winning program? Who knows.
Will Cecchini be back in Lewisburg? Does he want to return? I still believe he would get FBS offers as an OC. He'll probably be back.
Will Fordham get an at-large bid? UNH is definitely in if they beat Maine. Fordham may need help from Villanova. 9-2 with the 2 razor-thin losses they had, they should be in IMO.
Will Holy Cross get a seed? Yes with a win. Absolutely not with a loss but probably still a home game in Round of 24.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2022, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Go Lehigh TU owl;3091975]I will start the final week with some good gossip....

Bob Chesney to Syracuse? Are they really ready to fire Dino Babers over a couple bad games? I think not.
Tom Gilmore mercifully gone? Is his contract up? This is year 4. If he somehow has 1 year remaining, Lehigh needs to buy him out and thank him for everything he's done for the league.
Stan Dakosty a blowout loss from not being retained? Yes
Sgarlata finally going to explore his options? Maybe a nice coordinator gig at a winning program? Who knows.
Will Cecchini be back in Lewisburg? Does he want to return? I still believe he would get FBS offers as an OC. He'll probably be back.
Will Fordham get an at-large bid? UNH is definitely in if they beat Maine. Fordham may need help from Villanova. 9-2 with the 2 razor-thin losses they had, they should be in IMO.
Will Holy Cross get a seed? Yes with a win. Absolutely not with a loss but probably still a home game in Round of 24.

Dino Babers contract is up at the conclusion of the year and there's a good chance the Orange end the season on a 6 game losing streak. As it is, Babers will not be retained. I have already seen Chesney's name mentioned.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 09:10 AM
I'm starting to come to terms with the reality that after any given season going forward, there's a 55% or so chance that we won't have Chesney back at Holy Cross. Even if he doesn't end up getting the Syracuse job, the ripple effect may open up another position that he ends up winning. Good for him.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 09:33 AM

When was HC last undefeated?

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 09:37 AM

It cant be - I believe autobid was 2004 and Pards got it that year. We went to Delaware and gave them a tough game before they scored on a squeeze takeaway as we were driving for tying TD with 2 mins left. Final 28-14

Sader87
November 13th, 2022, 09:45 AM
When was HC last undefeated?

1991...Duffner's last season, took the Maryland job. They were very good but nowhere near as dominant as the '87 undefeated squad. The only players on full athletic scholarships on that team were the seniors.

Slow, steady decline after that for the next 10-15 or so seasons until Gilmore righted the ship in the mid to late oughts before he seemed to lose his touch at HC.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 09:49 AM
1991...Duffner's last season, took the Maryland job. They were very good but nowhere near as dominant as the '87 undefeated squad. The only players on full athletic scholarships on that team were the seniors.

Slow, steady decline after that for the next 10-15 or so seasons until Gilmore righted the ship in the mid to late oughts before he seemed to lose his touch at HC.

Oh damn Sader - well I saw a game from that undefeated year. My only time at Fitton it was early November I think that year. Final was what 48-10? I made plans with some other alums like back in I think late 2000s was it, to go up but bad weather forecast (freezing rain) for Friday evening ditched that plan.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2022, 09:53 AM
It cant be - I believe autobid was 2004 and Pards got it that year. We went to Delaware and gave them a tough game before they scored on a squeeze takeaway as we were driving for tying TD with 2 mins left. Final 28-14

The first year of the PL automatic bid to the 1-AA playoffs was 1997. In 2004 Lafayette won the autobid while Lehigh earned an at-large bid. That was Lehigh's heartbreaking, arguably criminal, 14-13 loss to eventual national champ JMU.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 09:55 AM
The first year of the PL automatic bid to the 1-AA playoffs was 1997. In 2004 Lafayette won the autobid while Lehigh earned an at-large bid. That was Lehigh's heartbreaking, arguably criminal, 14-13 loss to eventual national champ JMU.

Ok wow my error. I guess I was thinking of Pards first autobid. I watched that game as I was visiting friends in Annapolis. Didnt that go into like 2 OTs? Was there a controversial PI call?

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Oh damn Sader - well I saw a game from that undefeated year. My only time at Fitton it was early November I think that year. Final was what 48-10? I made plans with some other alums like back in I think late 2000s was it, to go up but bad weather forecast (freezing rain) for Friday evening ditched that plan.

That may have been the de facto Patriot League Championship Game played in cold rain the second to last week of the season in 2009. You guys also beat us in Worcester in 2007 on another cold day, again 2nd to last regular season game. Don't remember weather the night prior but it was definitely sunny by game time.

Sader87
November 13th, 2022, 10:04 AM

Just checked and you were correct, 11/2/91 48-10 at Fitton. As I said earlier, that '91 was terrific but eked out a couple games against UMass and BU, beat Lehigh 43-42 at that legendary game at Goodman, and were almost upset by a new team to the league then, Fordham, ovah in Ireland. End of an era type-team.

That other game was in 2009 and HC won a nail-biter against the Pards in the rain....I didn't go either, watched online. Winnah of that game was PL champs that year...many feel Laffy got jobbed on a PI call or no-call, forget which now.

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2022, 10:18 AM
Gilmore will be back unless Sterrett is retired as well. Does anyone trust Joe to hire the next coach?

He seems to only be aware of coaches that were on Higgins staff in the late 90’s.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Just checked and you were correct, 11/2/91 48-10 at Fitton. As I said earlier, that '91 was terrific but eked out a couple games against UMass and BU, beat Lehigh 43-42 at that legendary game at Goodman, and were almost upset by a new team to the league then, Fordham, ovah in Ireland. End of an era type-team.

That other game was in 2009 and HC won a nail-biter against the Pards in the rain....I didn't go either, watched online. Winnah of that game was PL champs that year...many feel Laffy got jobbed on a PI call or no-call, forget which now.
If you can give me dates of 2007 and 2008 games I will now which one thank you sir

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2022, 10:26 AM

I remember visiting and gassing at a Shell station on Lincoln St in Worcester before or after game and going through car wash they had. I recall that as I visited it because I lost bid on wash EQ (equipment) on that one. I repped Hanna and lost it to Ryko out of Des Moines Iowa. Cant recall if new station build or reload (new equipment replacing old EQ that was worn out).

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2022, 06:11 PM
Holy Cross win this year over Buffalo may be more impressive than Colgate's 2003 since Buffalo is projected to go to a bowl game this year (per CBS) and are second in the MAC East, and I think they were horrible in 2003.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Holy Cross win this year over Buffalo may be more impressive than Colgate's 2003 since Buffalo is projected to go to a bowl game this year (per CBS) and are second in the MAC East, and I think they were horrible in 2003.

Buffalo definitely much better now. When they first moved up to the MAC in 1999 they were one of the worst I-A teams in the country consistently for 5 or 6 years. They've been pretty decent for most of the last decade. Bulls will need to beat either Kent State or Akron to earn a bowl bid this year. Currently 5-5 and on a 2-game losing streak.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 06:21 PM

Was a no-call on a long 3rd down IIRC. John Myick got away with a pretty obvious face-guard. On 4th down, Lafayette QB Rob Curley was running a naked bootleg and HC sophomore linebacker Jimmy Thomas chased him down for the game=clinching sack.

ngineer
November 13th, 2022, 08:48 PM
I'm starting to come to terms with the reality that after any given season going forward, there's a 55% or so chance that we won't have Chesney back at Holy Cross. Even if he doesn't end up getting the Syracuse job, the ripple effect may open up another position that he ends up winning. Good for him.

Welcome mat open at Lehigh!xsmiley_wix

ngineer
November 13th, 2022, 09:05 PM
The Jesuit duke out in DC. Cross will go light on their brethren and not wanting to risk late game injuries for playoffs. Pedal off the metal, 34-17

The 'gate is swing sort of rustily after the shocking loss in Bethlehem. Rams smell a playoff bid and will respond accordingly. 38-17

Marist Foxes too sly for Bucky, denying them a winning streak. 42-17

Engineering Mountain Hawks caught lightning in a bottle last week as "Air Lehigh" miraculously appeared out of the mist at Goodman pouring on 430 passing yards. Certainly must have made Troxel sit up watching film. 'pard, meanwhile, licking wounds, again, as they try and figure out who they are. Some think Gilmore is 'coaching for his job'. I don't know if that decision has been made, yet, but rumors are that the OC, Brisson, was not calling the plays Saturday. If not, who? Can't believe it was Gilmore. Meanwhile, Lehigh Defense has been erratic. At times looking stout, and then blowing secondary coverage out the kazoo. Second Colgate TD was laughable. 60 yard bomb and not a DB within 25 yards of the receiver. Gotta hand it to the team, though, the that the two quick scores by Colgate did not get to them and they fought back for the wild finish. Were they playing to save the coach's job or for each other. My money is on the latter. Same goes for #158. Kids are feeling good and the alums will too on Saturday. Lehigh over the Leotards, 31-28.

Pards Rule
November 14th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Was a no-call on a long 3rd down IIRC. John Myick got away with a pretty obvious face-guard. On 4th down, Lafayette QB Rob Curley was running a naked bootleg and HC sophomore linebacker Jimmy Thomas chased him down for the game=clinching sack.

Oh yeah I remember watching that in Annapolis at my friends. Yep Mark Ross, a stud receiver, got PIed big time in end zone and no call. I was freaking! So based on this it was 2007 game that we defered. Cause the Annapolis trip would have been planned and set and I recall visiting my friend in the hospital when I told her I was punting driving to Worcester. She died a year later on Oct 30, 2008 from injuries sustained in car accident a few days earlier.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Outside of John Troxell, there is going to be some uncertainty in six other PL locker rooms entering the off-season.

NY Crusader 2010
November 14th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Oh yeah I remember watching that in Annapolis at my friends. Yep Mark Ross, a stud receiver, got PIed big time in end zone and no call. I was freaking! So based on this it was 2007 game that we defered. Cause the Annapolis trip would have been planned and set and I recall visiting my friend in the hospital when I told her I was punting driving to Worcester. She died a year later on Oct 30, 2008 from injuries sustained in car accident a few days earlier.

It wasn't in the end zone, but would've been a huge first down and gotten Lafayette much closer to FG range in a 2 point game. And it was PI for sure.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Were they playing to save the coach's job or for each other. My money is on the latter. Same goes for #158. Kids are feeling good and the alums will too on Saturday. Lehigh over the Leotards, 31-28.

Not happening - that would require Lafayette scoring the most point all year. Our most points - 24 - came against Bucknell. Yeah let that sink in.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2022, 08:36 AM
Not happening - that would require Lafayette scoring the most point all year. Our most points - 24 - came against Bucknell. Yeah let that sink in.

And P4L, I was there, 7 of those came from pick six

TheValleyRaider
November 16th, 2022, 06:33 PM
And so it ends. One more week for another season of PL football. It's been real, and occasionally fun, but not real fun (at least for anyone not named Holy Cross or Fordham). Busy week for me, so we'll keep things short and sweet in the prediction market. Can't get any worse, can it? (Yes, yes it can.) 2-2 last week, 40-12 for the year.

Lehigh at Lafayette Lafayette In some ways, this is the ideal version of the rivalry. There is nothing else at stake, not a League title, not a playoff birth, not even a winning record. Maybe Gilmore's job? Really, only institutional pride is on the line. Other than homefield, is there anything that suggests one team is better than the other? I think Lafayette has the better defense, even a good one on its own merits, and not sure of any other unit's capabilities.

Holy Cross at Georgetown Holy Cross Is there a world where Holy Cross stumbles and loses their unbeaten season at the last hurdle? I suppose, but we don't live in that world.

Colgate at Fordham Colgate Speaking of out of this world, wouldn't it be something if Colgate were to pull it together, beat Fordham for the second year in a row, and almost certainly knock the Rams out of the playoffs? Wouldn't it, indeed...

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell These two played every season between 2005 and 2017. The Bison went 12-1, and that includes some pretty rough Bison teams. Bucknell rolls again when acquaintances are renewed.

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2022, 07:37 PM
And so it ends. One more week for another season of PL football. It's been real, and occasionally fun, but not real fun (at least for anyone not named Holy Cross or Fordham). Busy week for me, so we'll keep things short and sweet in the prediction market. Can't get any worse, can it? (Yes, yes it can.) 2-2 last week, 40-12 for the year.

Lehigh at Lafayette Lafayette In some ways, this is the ideal version of the rivalry. There is nothing else at stake, not a League title, not a playoff birth, not even a winning record. Maybe Gilmore's job? Really, only institutional pride is on the line. Other than homefield, is there anything that suggests one team is better than the other? I think Lafayette has the better defense, even a good one on its own merits, and not sure of any other unit's capabilities.

Holy Cross at Georgetown Holy Cross Is there a world where Holy Cross stumbles and loses their unbeaten season at the last hurdle? I suppose, but we don't live in that world.

Colgate at Fordham Colgate Speaking of out of this world, wouldn't it be something if Colgate were to pull it together, beat Fordham for the second year in a row, and almost certainly knock the Rams out of the playoffs? Wouldn't it, indeed...

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell These two played every season between 2005 and 2017. The Bison went 12-1, and that includes some pretty rough Bison teams. Bucknell rolls again when acquaintances are renewed.

If Georgetown's offense explodes and the Hoyas somehow manage to beat us, would it be the biggest win in program history?

ngineer
November 16th, 2022, 07:54 PM

While our D has played well 'overall', we have a proclivity to let up "huge" big gainers. This is also a game where either one or both teams come up with some trick plays, and the way our season has gone, I expect us to get burned on one or two of them, or get burned on a turnover. It's been that kind of year...Add to that two 'regular' scores on drives.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2022, 09:13 PM
If Georgetown's offense explodes and the Hoyas somehow manage to beat us, would it be the biggest win in program history?

In the PL era, yes, but there have been bigger wins way back when: Virginia, Navy, North Carolina, Maryland, West Virginia, Ole Miss (twice), etc.

Trivia: Georgetown is 0-20 versus ranked teams in the Patriot League era.

The Boogie Down
November 16th, 2022, 09:26 PM

I think around the 3rd quarter of last year's HC game, Fordham decided to let go of the rope. The Crusaders started rolling and after a while it looked like the Rams had stopped tying. The Fordham team that showed up at Colgate the following week didn't really want to be there & their play showed it. Colgate seemed to show a similar look in the 4th quarter against Lehigh. They didn't just lose, towards the end it looked as if they weren't even trying. I can't see how that team (particularly the D) bounces back and turns it all around against a group playing to get into the playoffs. We'll see.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2022, 09:55 PM
I think around the 3rd quarter of last year's HC game, Fordham decided to let go of the rope. The Crusaders started rolling and after a while it looked like the Rams had stopped tying. The Fordham team that showed up at Colgate the following week didn't really want to be there & their play showed it. Colgate seemed to show a similar look in the 4th quarter against Lehigh. They didn't just lose, towards the end it looked as if they weren't even trying. I can't see how that team (particularly the D) bounces back and turns it all around against a group playing to get into the playoffs. We'll see.

Not a good year for Dakosty. Wins over Bucknell and Georgetown, but not much else. That guarantee check from Stanford won't hurt, but a 3-8 finish would be its worst since 1995.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2022, 12:05 AM
Couple cool historical nuggets I stumbled upon tonight..

In 1981 Lafayette and Lehigh entered their rivalry game ranked #8 and #6 respectively, the 'Pards won 10-3 on blustery day at Taylor Stadium. Lehigh did beat their "other" rival #1 Delaware in Newark earlier in the year....

10 years laters, Holy Cross's attempt to win 19 in a row against Colgate was one of ABC Sports Top 4 headlines of the day. Legendary Keith Jackson makes reference to Holy Cross's winning streak during the Michigan-Ohio State broadcast. However, he makes a critical error by saying the two schools are in the Yankee Conference (I think we can all forgive him xbowx). My, how times have changed...

NY Crusader 2010
November 17th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Not a good year for Dakosty. Wins over Bucknell and Georgetown, but not much else. That guarantee check from Stanford won't hurt, but a 3-8 finish would be its worst since 1995.

Third place team in the PL when the dust settles will have either 3 or 4 overall wins. Mind-boggling.

NY Crusader 2010
November 17th, 2022, 05:22 AM

The thunderstorm that caused a 45-minute delay right before halftime was a big momentum killer. The 2nd half was pretty much a carbon copy of the 2019 game at Jack Coffey where Fordham led 14-0 at half, 21-7 early in the third before HC went on to score 6 unanswered touchdowns for a 49-21 lead. Fordham scored a TD in final seconds to make it 49-28 final.

Another thing about the 2019 game that I have yet to have answered and I emailed the Elias Sports Bureau multiple times with no response: in the history of NCAA football has a team that was shut out at halftime ever finished a game with MORE than 49 points? I'm thinking Holy Cross set a quirky NCAA record that day that perhaps no one knows about.

In the second halves of the '19 and '21 games in the Bronx, Holy Cross outscored Fordham 77-7.

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Will Cecchini be back in Lewisburg?
If he can avert a disastrous loss this week, I don't think he'll be fired.

Could he/would he pick up where his father left off at Xavier? How cool would that be?

Baron Sardonicus
November 17th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Yes, any loss to Marist is a disaster.

crusader11
November 17th, 2022, 09:42 AM
I guess winning three of the last five games is a nice way to end the year for Bucknell, but after four seasons it's pretty clear Cecchini isn't the answer.

Maybe there is no answer for Bucknell football...but, when his contact as up, how can Truax not give someone else a shot?

Southsider
November 17th, 2022, 03:39 PM
I guess winning three of the last five games is a nice way to end the year for Bucknell, but after four seasons it's pretty clear Cecchini isn't the answer.

Maybe there is no answer for Bucknell football...but, when his contact as up, how can Truax not give someone else a shot?

I still believe Bucky will ultimately shut down FB at some point. It's a tough go in the shadow of State College.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2022, 07:06 PM
While our D has played well 'overall', we have a proclivity to let up "huge" big gainers. This is also a game where either one or both teams come up with some trick plays, and the way our season has gone, I expect us to get burned on one or two of them, or get burned on a turnover. It's been that kind of year...Add to that two 'regular' scores on drives.

It is going to come down to special teams. I'll say it again: Special Teams! Special Teams! Special Teams!

It's an adventure when we have to punt.

NY Crusader 2010
November 17th, 2022, 07:09 PM
I still believe Bucky will ultimately shut down FB at some point. It's a tough go in the shadow of State College.

Being in the "shadow" of a power program shouldn't have any negative affect on how Bucknell does. It's not like they're competing with Penn State for recruits or coaching staff. If anything, central and western PA have always been solid areas for Friday Night Lights and quality HS ball. Bucknell is in a decent location when it comes to recruiting. The PSAC has always been a rock solid Division II conference and half those teams would beat the Bison this year. In fact the top 2 or 3 teams would have a chance to go .500 in the Patriot League this year.

The Boogie Down
November 17th, 2022, 09:05 PM
The thunderstorm that caused a 45-minute delay right before halftime was a big momentum killer. The 2nd half was pretty much a carbon copy of the 2019 game at Jack Coffey where Fordham led 14-0 at half, 21-7 early in the third before HC went on to score 6 unanswered touchdowns for a 49-21 lead. Fordham scored a TD in final seconds to make it 49-28 final.

Another thing about the 2019 game that I have yet to have answered and I emailed the Elias Sports Bureau multiple times with no response: in the history of NCAA football has a team that was shut out at halftime ever finished a game with MORE than 49 points? I'm thinking Holy Cross set a quirky NCAA record that day that perhaps no one knows about.

In the second halves of the '19 and '21 games in the Bronx, Holy Cross outscored Fordham 77-7.

Would be a weird stat for them to find. Another one... Chesney is 5-0 vs. Conlin but in each and every one of those contests, Fordham was either winning or tied at the half.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2022, 06:48 AM
Being in the "shadow" of a power program shouldn't have any negative affect on how Bucknell does. It's not like they're competing with Penn State for recruits or coaching staff. If anything, central and western PA have always been solid areas for Friday Night Lights and quality HS ball. Bucknell is in a decent location when it comes to recruiting. The PSAC has always been a rock solid Division II conference and half those teams would beat the Bison this year. In fact the top 2 or 3 teams would have a chance to go .500 in the Patriot League this year.

Right on. Shepard is really good this year and may even give HC a really tight game. They made it to the semi’s last year and lost to Ferris.

Ferris destroyed everyone last year in possibly the most impressive playoff performance in D2 history. Shepard’s QB is a legit NFL prospect.

Doc QB
November 18th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Agree with above.
Its institutional and cultural.
Bucknell is forced to run the program like DivIII. A buddy's kid plays there now. Miss on a lit of little things, like no Friday team meal, meetings in evening. Hell, last year for LU-BU in Lewisburg I met both of them for dinner in a Bucknell bar the night before.
Same game, my wife's med school roommate and her husband, both Bucknellians to the bone, got married in there chapel there, he actually played there, met us there for game. He had no relationship to his old teammates, no tailgate for alums, they hadnt been to a game in 20 yrs. It was no part of his or their lives whatsoever. They just dont stay connected.

LU-Laff not even five years ago, we had 60 guys from the 91 team there. Guy flew in from Hong Kong for weekend.
We'll have dozen in town just for dinner tonight, game is in Easton, and we suck.

Bucknell is just different. They dont care.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Agree with above.
Its institutional and cultural. Bucknell is forced to run the program like DivIII...Same game, my wife's med school roommate and her husband, both Bucknellians to the bone, got married in there chapel there, he actually played there, met us there for game. He had no relationship to his old teammates, no tailgate for alums, they hadnt been to a game in 20 yrs. It was no part of his or their lives whatsoever. They just dont stay connected. Bucknell is just different. They dont care.

Sports are about being there for the moment and returning for the memories. But what if there are no memories?

Where would Lehigh be if it never won a PL football title? Played before 1,400 people a game? Had five winning seasons in the last 25 years? How many would come back for that big end of season game versus Marist?

A total of 101 FCS schools have played football at this level since 2001. Bucknell ranks 85rd (81-142). No PL home game in Lewisburg has drawn more than 1,400 this season--the home opener with Towson topped out at 1,949. They have no rivalry games, and there's not a lot of connections across the generations. Losing football tends to do that. People may care, but eventually it's difficult to come back year after year for the same results.

Memories make a difference. Harvard-Yale will sell out as usual. Down the interstate, the Cornell-Columbia game will draw 4,000. That's no accident.

Southsider
November 18th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Agree with above.
Its institutional and cultural.
Bucknell is forced to run the program like DivIII. A buddy's kid plays there now. Miss on a lit of little things, like no Friday team meal, meetings in evening. Hell, last year for LU-BU in Lewisburg I met both of them for dinner in a Bucknell bar the night before.
Same game, my wife's med school roommate and her husband, both Bucknellians to the bone, got married in there chapel there, he actually played there, met us there for game. He had no relationship to his old teammates, no tailgate for alums, they hadnt been to a game in 20 yrs. It was no part of his or their lives whatsoever. They just dont stay connected.

LU-Laff not even five years ago, we had 60 guys from the 91 team there. Guy flew in from Hong Kong for weekend.
We'll have dozen in town just for dinner tonight, game is in Easton, and we suck.

Bucknell is just different. They dont care.

Exactly. Folks in the area more invested in PSU. School has given up.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2022, 11:42 AM
If Chris Villarrial can make it work at St. Francis (another forgotten destination with a federal prison), Bucknell can as well.

downbythebeach
November 18th, 2022, 01:39 PM
If Chris Villarrial can make it work at St. Francis (another forgotten destination with a federal prison), Bucknell can as well.

If we lose him I bet we are back to 2-9 seasons.

It is really amazing how much the football culture has changed under him. The games are actually fun and all the students go. They only had 3 home games this year so maybe that has something to do with it.

But I 1000% agree with the need to get alumni involved. Recruits want to feel like they are playing D1 football in front of crowds and a game day atmosphere. Winning will help get people in the seats, but if that is not possible right away then they should atleast attempt to get people there in other ways.......at least have tailgating or high school band day or something.

NY Crusader 2010
November 18th, 2022, 02:57 PM
Would be a weird stat for them to find. Another one... Chesney is 5-0 vs. Conlin but in each and every one of those contests, Fordham was either winning or tied at the half.

Isn't that literally their entire business model? Coming up with stats like "Did you know that Trot Nixon holds the single season record for ground rule doubles by a guy named Trot?"

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2022, 07:22 PM
My first and only score prediction of the year: Lafayette 17, Lehigh 15

The Boogie Down
November 18th, 2022, 07:23 PM
If we lose him I bet we are back to 2-9 seasons.

Considering where the program was before Villarrial came aboard, as well as how well he's kept it afloat, I'm surprised he hasn't got any looks from the Patsies? Has he gotten looks from the Patsies?

Isn't that literally their entire business model? Coming up with stats like "Did you know that Trot Nixon holds the single season record for ground rule doubles by a guy named Trot?"

No doubt. But one stat requires looking up every single major leaguer named Trot ever, while the other requires looking up every single college football game ever.

Leopard Loyalist
November 18th, 2022, 11:38 PM
Lafayette ekes out a win over Lehigh
Holy Cross rolls over Georgetown
Fordham rolls over Colgate
Bucknell ends the season with back to back victories.

43-9 so far this season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Bucknell 24 Marist 13
Fordham 45 Colgate 27
Holy Cross 38 Georgetown 20
Lehigh 20 Lafayette 17 (OT)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Holy Cross 34 Georgetown 10 14:55 4Q
Marist 13 Bucknell 3 Half
Fordham 28 Colgate 24 2:31 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Holy Cross 47 Georgetown 10 Final
Bucknell 24 Marist 13 Final

Fordham 52 Colgate 38 6:13 4Q

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 04:23 PM
While our D has played well 'overall', we have a proclivity to let up "huge" big gainers. This is also a game where either one or both teams come up with some trick plays, and the way our season has gone, I expect us to get burned on one or two of them, or get burned on a turnover. It's been that kind of year...Add to that two 'regular' scores on drives.Although, I got the score wrong, was this prescient, or what!!??

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2022, 04:27 PM
The Patriot League season by team, in one word each:

1. Holy Cross: Historic.
2. Fordham: Explosive.
3. Lafayette: Hopeful.
4. Colgate: Discouraged.
5. Lehigh: Defeated.
6. Bucknell: Adrift.
7. Georgetown: Outmanned.

Southsider
November 19th, 2022, 06:03 PM
My first and only score prediction of the year: Lafayette 17, Lehigh 15

Close P4L................good call

Go...gate
November 19th, 2022, 06:26 PM

Hard to discern if the slump at Colgate is an overreaction by the administration to Hunt's forced departure three seasons ago or something more insidious.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Congratulations to Holy Cross and Fordham on great seasons. Cross has probably one of the top 5-10 teams of PL era(see how playoffs go) this year and Fordham is a fun team to watch. As for the rest of the league…..well congrats HC & FU

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 08:31 PM
Yes, congrats to Holy Cross and Fordham for stellar seasons. Now, hopefully, Crusaders get a first round bye and Fordham gets a home game. Do the League proud. I'm afraid it will be a couple more years before rest catch up due to the differing stages of disarray.

I don't know when the "hot seat" thread will reignite, but Gilmore's cheeks should already be blistered....xasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipx

TheValleyRaider
November 20th, 2022, 12:26 PM
First off, congrats to HC on the title, and Fordham for snagging a playoff birth. Go Rams in NH, then perhaps a repeat of the 10/29 spectacle if we can, please

Thanks to DFW for getting this up each week, giving us a space to talk, even if there was less and less to discuss as the year went along.

Just for record keeping's sake, 3-1 for the final week, 43-13 for the season. Pretty strong picking record this year, but I worry there is a little too much predictability overall.

The Boogie Down
November 20th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Congratulations to Holy Cross and Fordham on great seasons. Cross has probably one of the top 5-10 teams of PL era(see how playoffs go) this year and Fordham is a fun team to watch. As for the rest of the league…..well congrats HC & FU
Too funny :D

First off, congrats to HC on the title, and Fordham for snagging a playoff birth. Go Rams in NH, then perhaps a repeat of the 10/29 spectacle if we can, please

Thanks to DFW for getting this up each week, giving us a space to talk, even if there was less and less to discuss as the year went along.

Just for record keeping's sake, 3-1 for the final week, 43-13 for the season. Pretty strong picking record this year, but I worry there is a little too much predictability overall.
Thanks for the nice words. And yes, thanks to DFW for putting up all these weekly posts. Not to mention Lehigh-TU for his usual blistering pace of scoring updates. As for the predictions, obviously the HC/FU contests were all easy to nail but I couldn't make heads or tails out of the rest of the league. Good job on the record and hope you call a few more Fordham wins going forward.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2022, 01:53 PM
As for the rest of the league…..well congrats HC & FU

The bottom five combined for five non-conference wins. We can thank Marist for two of them.

Lafayette over Sacred Heart
Colgate over Maine
Bucknell over Marist
Lehigh over no one
Georgetown over Marist

The PL finished 2-9 versus the Ivy League. That's Holy Cross 2-0, everyone else 0-9.

Bill
November 20th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Kind of bummed that winner of Fordham/UNH gets HC.

This may be wishful thinking, but I'd rather see 2 PL teams alive in the playoffs and not playing each other until, say, the final four or somethingxrolleyesx

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Kind of bummed that winner of Fordham/UNH gets HC.

This may be wishful thinking, but I'd rather see 2 PL teams alive in the playoffs and not playing each other until, say, the final four or somethingxrolleyesx

Same. Happy two PL teams are in it... disappointed they potentially play in the second weekend. I've erased the last 12 years of Patriot League history from my mind but Lafayette and Lehigh both made it in 2004 and could only have met in the semifinals. Colgate and LC made it in 2005 (do not recall the bracket but Pards were #15 and sent to the now FBS A-Sun darlings Appalachian State).

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Wonder why the committee didn't send the SFU/UD winner to Holy Cross and have the FU/UNH winner go to SDSU ...

ngineer
November 20th, 2022, 06:28 PM
Wonder why the committee didn't send the SFU/UD winner to Holy Cross and have the FU/UNH winner go to SDSU ...

Because they are "the Committee".xsmiley_wix

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2022, 07:26 AM
Same. Happy two PL teams are in it... disappointed they potentially play in the second weekend. I've erased the last 12 years of Patriot League history from my mind but Lafayette and Lehigh both made it in 2004 and could only have met in the semifinals. Colgate and LC made it in 2005 (do not recall the bracket but Pards were #15 and sent to the now FBS A-Sun darlings Appalachian State).

Yes hearty congrats to our two PL entrees this year. Go Rams and Crusaders! P4L that App State game was great. I couldnt attend but was getting text updates on scoring on my pre smartphone flip cell phone from a dude on here from App State that I had "met" off this board, joining it shortly before Lafayette-Lehigh that 2005 year. I had a 25th year HS reunion that Saturday evening. Amazing we were tied 20-20 mid 4th and lost by 11, 34-23. Have it on DVD though.