PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Refs II

Appaholic
October 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I could not find the earlier thread or I would have reopened after today's game. Normally, I will not comment on an officiating crews overall performance as I realize it is a tough job. However, after witnessing today's game, I will say this is the worst officiating I have ever seen on any level of football. Today's crew should never be allowed to officiate again. It is such a shame that the level of our conference football is so good and the officials were so bad. I'm just happy that we won so I could comment on the horrid calls and no-calls....if we had lost, I would not have mentioned so as not to diminish our opponent's performance. But the players, coaches & fans desrve better from our conference....there is no excuse.....xconfusedx

LarryBoy
October 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Got to agree with you. I won't blame today's loss on the refs, since we had a few questionable calls go our way, as well. A couple of big calls they blew badly, and a lot of the penalties were just...weird. Defensive holding must have just been a buzz word today, while offensive holding was left out of the book for some reason. On Furman's TD run at the start of the second half, we held blatantly (it was right in front of me), and the App line was also stretching purple jerseys allll day long. Call it both ways, just call it period.

GreatAppSt
October 27th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Holding what's that? xrolleyesx

go to the pic gallery check out pic #28 this was on a 30+ yard gainer for FU wonder why?
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/SPORTS0103/71027009

EagleCreekH20
October 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I will say this, I dont care if its for or against us, just call it fair,

I can say that there are some calls that were extremely questionable in that game..

Appguy
October 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM
yea, the one that stands out to me was the facemask on furman's first offensive play that should have been an APP TD. Tharrington's arms were clearly on his jersey.
Furman also got called holding an App facemask when his hand merely went in front of his mask.
Seemed like they would make penalty calls every other play.

the announcing wasn't exactly very good either on Sports South. it took them 3 plays to notice app brought hillary in for the direct snap

GSUhooligan
October 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Watching the game on TV and seeing multiple replays, I thing Gray was throwing the ball, so that "fumble" should have been called an incomplete pass.

ASU88
October 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Man, I HATE complaining about the refs. It's hard to escape, though. I did watch the game on TV and they were pretty bad. I wouldn't day biased or one-sided ... just bad.

It was frustrating.

AppMan
October 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM
The best officiated game I've seen in the last three years was our playoff game in '05 vs S Illinois. I think is was a Patriot League crew. The game moved along smoothly and you hardly knew they were in the game.

proasu89
October 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM
The best officiated game I've seen in the last three years was our playoff game in '05 vs S Illinois. I think is was a Patriot League crew. The game moved along smoothly and you hardly knew they were in the game.

That is correct. However, I'm willing to bet that the sleet and freezing rain contributed to the ref's keeping their hands and flags in their pocket in order to "move things along."xlolx

queencityapp23
October 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, just wait until the playoffs roll around and some of these other teams will get a taste of the crap we've been putting up with week in and week out. It really was bad yesterday, and last week, etc. The refs throw the flag and then congregate for merely 30 seconds and make the call. SoCon refs are wannbe ACC refs. They get a xthumbsdownx from me!

phillyAPP
October 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Watching the game on TV and seeing multiple replays, I thing Gray was throwing the ball, so that "fumble" should have been called an incomplete pass.

Can the conference officials be so blind to the OBVIOUS poor quality of officiating in the SoCon.

EVERY saturday SoCon games show how POOR the officiating is. The only thing SoCon administration can hold their hats on is "The officiating is BAD for all the teams"

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

WVAPPmountaineer
October 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I don't usually make public statements about the officials especially if the team I am rooting for is not victorious (because of the perception) - The officiating in the SoCon is beyond bad - they are pathetically bad!!! - ASU won the game yesterday so I will continue - It had to be one of the worse officiated games I have seen - unfortunately my statement gets topped every week!!! - I have watched a few SoCon games this season where I did not care who won and I still came away saying the same thing - the officiating is sooooo bad - What is the problem??? - have we lost our good ones to other conferences, etc.? - The only good thing I can think of to say is luckily in the playoffs our SoCon teams will see officials from other conferences - Here's a warning to you guys from the CAA, Gateway, Big Sky, etc. - LOOKOUT you might be seeing SoCon guys in your games ---

ChiefGSU275
October 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
The refs were bad in the GSU-Citadel game, but it wasnt as obvious as it has been in games past (elon, app). There were a number of no-calls on holding plays, but I guess that always happens.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The refs were bad in the GSU-Citadel game, but it wasnt as obvious as it has been in games past (elon, app). There were a number of no-calls on holding plays, but I guess that always happens.

I saw a few missed calls as well, a few face mask, and a really bad holding that kept our guy from blocking a punt, but no BS phantom pass interference calls or anything game changing like in previous games this season.

grizzpaw
October 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
watch out for what u wish! watch the highlight thread of the griz and nau and watch the refs spot the ball! i think by far the big sky has u beat with the refsxbawlingx xpeacex

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2007, 12:47 PM
They can't be worse than MEAC refs, can they?xconfusedx xsmhx

Appguy
October 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM

The hand WAS going forward without the ball and the ball going straight down being knocked out of his hand so that would be a fumble by the NFL rules, im not sure if college differs

bobbythekidd
October 28th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I just got home from a 3 day marathon of homecoming events, and I was pleased by the officiating in the GSU/ El Cid game. Other games were MUCH worse.

Does anyone care to research the crews at the worse games? GSU/ Elon, App/ Furman, etc... I wonder if there is a trend to be found?

Saint3333
October 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM
From my perspective the only good thing about the SoCon refs is that they aren't allowed to ref the playoff games involving a SoCon team. I feel sorry for the CAA, Gateway, etc. conferences in December.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
What's funny is, there hasn't been so much whining over the refs by two teams until this year. There have been some iffy calls, there always will be. But as soon as two schools aren't blowing teams out, then the complaints start pouring in.

Yes, there is a trend to this. When the officials are "bad" to anyone other than the Big 3, it doesn't matter to the conference fans. When the officials are "bad" to the traditional big 3 schools, then hold the press because something will have to be done.

bobbythekidd
October 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
What's funny is, there hasn't been so much whining over the refs by two teams until this year. There have been some iffy calls, there always will be. But as soon as two schools aren't blowing teams out, then the complaints start pouring in.

Yes, there is a trend to this. When the officials are "bad" to anyone other than the Big 3, it doesn't matter to the conference fans. When the officials are "bad" to the traditional big 3 schools, then hold the press because something will have to be done.
There has not been much whining?????xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Pass what ever you have been smoking that can allow you to forget at least a decade in the socon! Maybe it never mattered to you, but the big three (as you call it) could give you a list a mile long about the poor officiating. Some AGS'ers could tell you where to find the good threads. If I could use the search feature and actually get the results I was looking for, you would read all about the horrible officials.

Even winning back to back National Championships, 2 teams have been saying it.

Mr. Van Winkle, this problem did not start this year, but it has made a bigger difference this year.

As far as the complaints pouring in... Sending a highlight tape to the NCAA of blunders made by SoCon officials....

It will result in getting that group of officials to show up at your most important games. You have to beat the pants off the opposition to win by a 3 point margin.

BarefootApp
October 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Just win, baby.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
There has not been much whining?????xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Pass what ever you have been smoking that can allow you to forget at least a decade in the socon! Maybe it never mattered to you, but the big three (as you call it) could give you a list a mile long about the poor officiating. Some AGS'ers could tell you where to find the good threads. If I could use the search feature and actually get the results I was looking for, you would read all about the horrible officials.

Even winning back to back National Championships, 2 teams have been saying it.

Mr. Van Winkle, this problem did not start this year, but it has made a bigger difference this year.

As far as the complaints pouring in... Sending a highlight tape to the NCAA of blunders made by SoCon officials....

It will result in getting that group of officials to show up at your most important games. You have to beat the pants off the opposition to win by a 3 point margin.

There has been slight complaining the past few years, but note full threads about it every week.

I stand by my statement. The level of whining has increased because the other six teams are better, not because the officials are that bad.

asufan87
October 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
As hard as I look, I don't see any future Ed Hocholi's among Socon officiating crews. It's pretty bad stuff.

eaglesrthe1
October 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
There has been slight complaining the past few years, but note full threads about it every week.

I stand by my statement. The level of whining has increased because the other six teams are better, not because the officials are that bad.

It's both. There have always been full threads about it. You are now just taking notice because Elon is now in the mix. The other six teams are better, so the more involved the teams are, the more involved the fans are. This late in the season usually has the teams whittled down. The officials have always been bad, just now more are noticing.

Appaholic
October 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Maybe.....but not in my case. I didn't notice how bad it was until watching two traditional powers play Saturday......so I doubt I am referring to a conspiracy to insure Elon doesn't win the Southern Conference in their first good year.......xcoffeex

Appaholic
October 28th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Man, I HATE complaining about the refs. It's hard to escape, though. I did watch the game on TV and they were pretty bad. I wouldn't day biased or one-sided ... just bad.

It was frustrating.

So do I....think it is very unclassy, but it was BAD yesterday....and Furman played well, so I am not disparaging their effort.

But the kind of ***** that needs to be nipped in the bud was the Side Judge in yesterday's game......he called a bench penalty on ASU while missing the BLATANT pass interference call on the same play, same sideline.....shouldn't he be watching the play develop, not the fokking bench.....and two plays later misses another pass interference in front of him.....thank god the Center Judge or Umpire threw the flag....from the center of the field.....that's the Side Judge's call....I'd like to know who that ref was and inform him of just how *****ty his performance.....they need to run the poor performers out of the league...

No wonder we won two back-toback titles......our crappy refs were out screwing the rest of the teams come playoff time.....xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Baldy
October 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
It's both. There have always been full threads about it. You are now just taking notice because Elon is now in the mix. The other six teams are better, so the more involved the teams are, the more involved the fans are. This late in the season usually has the teams whittled down. The officials have always been bad, just now more are noticing.
Exactly! xthumbsupx

Appguy
October 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM
don't forget the the back judge tackling armanti for furman

gophoenix
October 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM
don't forget the the back judge tackling armanti for furman

He can't do that, he's part of the field xsmiley_wix