PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 10 (The Final Week) 2022

bonarae
November 12th, 2022, 04:17 PM
We will see if any changes are made that will impact Ivy League football in the next few years... xdontknowx

Until then, enjoy this week and maybe join the bandwagon for a scholarship team in the playoffs. I'll pick a Big Sky team to win it all, along with Holy Cross of course. That can be a potential Frisco matchup.

The Game - Yale at Harvard
Penn at Princeton
Cornell at Columbia
Brown at Dartmouth

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Yale (Harvard hasn’t beaten Yale at Harvard Stadium since 2014, although Harvard won a “home” game at Fenway Park in 2018)
Princeton — Penn has run out of gas
Columbia
Dartmouth

Yale and Princeton will end up tied for the title.

Son of Eli
November 12th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Yale
Princeton
Columbia
Brown.

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Harvard-Yale live at noon on ESPNU.

The Cats
November 13th, 2022, 04:15 PM
Yale at Harvard
Penn at Princeton
Cornell at Columbia
Brown at Dartmouth

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2022, 04:30 PM
I’ll go out on a limb and predict that fewer than 10K will show up for Penn-Princeton.

NY Crusader 2010
November 13th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Harvard 17 Yale 17-- yes they have lights in Cambridge but the protesters refuse to vacate even late into the night and game is declared the first tie in NCAA play since 1995
Princeton 24 Penn 5
Columbia 34 Cornell 7 -- nice exclamation point on what was too slow of a start for the Lions to overcome in Ivy play. Maybe they didn't contend for the title but they proved to be a solid team. Ought to look into bringing back the annual rivalry game with Fordham.

Brown 31 Dartmouth 28 -- down 28-0 early in the third quarter, the Bruins storm all the way back, winning on a low, wobbly FG on a cold night on the final play.

bonarae
November 13th, 2022, 09:19 PM
yes they have lights in Cambridge but the protesters refuse to vacate even late into the night and game is declared the first tie in NCAA play since 1995

Please check the NCAA rulebook for football if ties are no longer allowed... xchinscratchx (other conferences' posters are allowed to help us.)

ngineer
November 13th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Not much of a limb!

Picking the Johnnies, 28-24
The Penn is not mightier than the Tiggers, Princeton, 31-17
Columbia should beat Cornell, though how they defend Big Red's QB will determine. Lions, 27-24
Dartmouth with ease over Brown, 27-14.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2022, 05:29 PM
https://www.vividseats.com/harvard-crimson-football-tickets-harvard-stadium-11-19-2022--sports-ncaa-football/production/3909420

I remember reading about a Yale alum who had 8 tickets for the 1968 game and was offered $1000. I wonder what that would be in today's dollars.

UAalum72
November 14th, 2022, 09:05 PM
https://www.vividseats.com/harvard-crimson-football-tickets-harvard-stadium-11-19-2022--sports-ncaa-football/production/3909420

I remember reading about a Yale alum who had 8 tickets for the 1968 game and was offered $1000. I wonder what that would be in today's dollars.
$8,563.56
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Yale beats Harvard 19-14! Fun game!

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Yale beats Harvard 19-14! Fun game!

A very satisfying finish for a team that I thought was dead after the Penn loss. Probably Reno's best coaching job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Princeton 19 Penn 14 5:45 4Q...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Penn shocks Princeton 20-19!!

holy crap!!

Yale wins the IL outright!! Congrats Eli!!

CHIP72
November 19th, 2022, 03:08 PM
Ugh, good that Penn pulls out the comeback win, bad that they couldn't finish in a 4-way tie for the Ivy League title.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Penn shocks Princeton 20-19!!

holy crap!!

Yale wins the IL outright!! Congrats Eli!!

Have to hand it to Penn. Harvard crushed them last week and they were down 19-7 today. And what a terrible finish for Princeton. Undefeated two weeks ago, now not even a piece of the title.

Son of Eli
November 19th, 2022, 07:17 PM
Have to hand it to Penn. Harvard crushed them last week and they were down 19-7 today. And what a terrible finish for Princeton. Undefeated two weeks ago, now not even a piece of the title.

So who’s a better coach now, Reno or Surace? Reno .600 winning percentage with 3 Ivy League Championships over 10 years vs. Surace’s with a.608 winning % and 4 Ivy Championships over 12 years. They’ve split the 10 head to head matchups with each other. Reno has graduated to the Ivy League elite coaching ranks.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2022, 07:57 PM
So who’s a better coach now, Reno or Surace? Reno .600 winning percentage with 3 Ivy League Championships over 10 years vs. Surace’s with a.608 winning % and 4 Ivy Championships over 12 years. They’ve split the 10 head to head matchups with each other. Reno has graduated to the Ivy League elite coaching ranks.

I think the next challenge for Tony is to put together back to back great seasons. 2017 and 2019 were both followed by 5-5 seasons.

The talent will certainly be there next year.

ngineer
November 19th, 2022, 08:45 PM
IL was very competitive this year. Makes it doubly exciting when you have several teams legitimately "in the hunt". Surprised that Dartmouth did not challenge this year.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Congrats to Yale for the outright league title. Harvard’s 4 INTs and inability to stop the run were key.

Go Green
November 21st, 2022, 06:21 AM
IL was very competitive this year. Makes it doubly exciting when you have several teams legitimately "in the hunt". Surprised that Dartmouth did not challenge this year.

We had a ton of injuries this season. It happens.

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2022, 01:02 PM
Congrats to Yale for the outright league title. Harvard’s 4 INTs and inability to stop the run were key.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ivytalk again.

KPSUL
December 6th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Dartmouth has eleven players in the Portal,. All of these guys are listed as Seniors or 5th year and consequently would have to be Grad transfers. I'm not sure exactly what arcane Ivy League eligibility rule requires them to seek transfers when they would be eligible almost everywhere else. Can anyone explain?

Go Green
December 6th, 2022, 11:17 AM
The Ivy doesn't allow grad students to suit up. While the fifth years are done, the "true" seniors are set to graduate. They can either take a quarter off or suit up for some other team while getting a scholarship and pursue the grad degree.

While some "true" seniors sure sound like they're moving on based on their twitter comments, I would be shocked (and very bummed) if all of them leave. Exactly how many remains to be seen....

KPSUL
December 6th, 2022, 02:56 PM
The Ivy doesn't allow grad students to suit up. While the fifth years are done, the "true" seniors are set to graduate. They can either take a quarter off or suit up for some other team while getting a scholarship and pursue the grad degree.

While some "true" seniors sure sound like they're moving on based on their twitter comments, I would be shocked (and very bummed) if all of them leave. Exactly how many remains to be seen....

They might not get an offer they want to take or maybe no offers at all. UNH had 3 players enter the portal last year - One got offers from FCS schools, but none that got him close enough to home. One never got a Div. 1 offer at all. One was a grad transfer RB who had averaged about 350 yard a season for 3 years. The portal worked for him, He ended up get significant playing time at Southeast LA State and more carries than he likely would have at UNH. I noticed three Dartmouth players in the portal I clearly recognized: QB Nick Howard, RBs Zack Bair and Noah Roper. I'd think these guys will get offers.

NY Crusader 2010
December 6th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Ivy League is stuck in the past. Ridiculous that every Ivy school has world class (obviously) grad programs but they won't allow their own student athletes to utilize that path while continuing to finish out their collegiate eligibility.

bulldog10jw
December 6th, 2022, 07:52 PM
Ivy League is stuck in the past.

We know.

Go Green
December 7th, 2022, 05:33 AM
They might not get an offer they want to take or maybe no offers at all. UNH had 3 players enter the portal last year - One got offers from FCS schools, but none that got him close enough to home. One never got a Div. 1 offer at all. One was a grad transfer RB who had averaged about 350 yard a season for 3 years. The portal worked for him, He ended up get significant playing time at Southeast LA State and more carries than he likely would have at UNH. I noticed three Dartmouth players in the portal I clearly recognized: QB Nick Howard, RBs Zack Bair and Noah Roper. I'd think these guys will get offers.

Bair is actually out of Ivy eligibility, so he's definitely gone.

Roper has a few Pioneer League offers. Should be interesting to see if he's willing to get his grad studies going without the benefit of a scholarship...

Howard has been pretty quiet. I think he's a great talent, but he was hurt most of 2022 (as was Roper for that matter) and his numbers were not nearly as good as they were from 2021. My gut is that he stays.

Ivytalk
December 11th, 2022, 10:21 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ivytalk again.

bulldog, Wilmington Friends won its first Delaware state title since 1984 by beating Caravel (a white-trash private school with scholly athletes), 10-7. Future Yale star Robbie Tattersall both passed and ran for over 100 yards. Watch this young man!

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2022, 10:40 AM
bulldog, Wilmington Friends won its first Delaware state title since 1984 by beating Caravel (a white-trash private school with scholly athletes), 10-7. Future Yale star Robbie Tattersall both passed and ran for over 100 yards. Watch this young man!
Hey now…FUBeAR Jr. did a few weeks of Kindergarten at Caravel before the FUBeAR family departed DE to return to civilization in Georgia. He was not on scholarship at the time as his prowess as an O-Lineman had not fully developed as a 5 year old. Describing Caravel as white trash school seems a bit harsh. Hate to see how you might have characterized Red Lion Christian Academy of Bear, DE back in the 2010’s…when they had 7th grade QB’s getting P5 offers.

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2022, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the update Ivytalk. Looking forward to seeing Robbie in Blue and White.

By the way. Did you notice that Yale went away from tradition and wore blue pants for the Princeton and Harvard games? You would have thought the world was coming to an end with the reaction of the alumni. Many were wondering if co-captains or even, heaven forbid, tri-captains was next. The fact that they won with the blue pants on only quieted things a little bit.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2022, 01:05 PM

How bout those hometown Laurel Bulldogs with another Delaware state championship, this one over St Elizabeth

Ivytalk
December 11th, 2022, 01:39 PM
FUBeAR, talk to any DE HS ref you want, and they’ll tell you that Caravel plays dirty and their fans are jerks. Hasn’t changed in 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to back titles for our Dawgs!

Go Green
December 12th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Ivy League is stuck in the past. Ridiculous that every Ivy school has world class (obviously) grad programs but they won't allow their own student athletes to utilize that path while continuing to finish out their collegiate eligibility.

At least we gave out COVID fifth years for those who wanted them.

I didn't realize this, but apparently Navy didn't give its own players a COVID year. It was a big reason why they've struggled in recent seasons and fired their long-time coach. Even Army and Air Force gave their players fifth years...

NY Crusader 2010
December 12th, 2022, 02:04 PM
At least we gave out COVID fifth years for those who wanted them.

I didn't realize this, but apparently Navy didn't give its own players a COVID year. It was a big reason why they've struggled in recent seasons and fired their long-time coach. Even Army and Air Force gave their players fifth years...

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought any of the academies would have given players 5th years. How does that work - you graduate from West Point and your first job as an officer is on base while also playing football? And continuing to take classes obviously?

I was at Navy's opener in 2015 against Fordham and they had a Sr. QB who waited in the wings to finally be the starter. And boom, season-ending broken leg in the 2nd quarter. Because there's no injury redshirts at the academy, that was it. Career done.

And kudos to the Ivy League for allowing COVID 5th years, especially when your players got NO SEASON while everyone else got a partial season. Can the COVID 5th years be enrolled in grad courses or do they have to slow down the undergrad path (take spring off, come back for fall) like we do over here in the Patriot League.

bulldog10jw
December 12th, 2022, 03:23 PM
https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/12/12/football-grooms-jones-johnson-named-players-of-the-year-bushnell-cup-recipients.aspx

Yale junior quarterback Nolan Grooms, Harvard senior defensive lineman Truman Jones and Princeton junior linebacker Liam Johnson were announced as the Asa S. Bushnell Cup recipients Monday afternoon at a press conference at the famed New York Athletic Club. The reception was sponsored by the Tournament of Roses and cohosted by the National Football Foundation.

Grooms was named Offensive Player of the Year – the seventh consecutive quarterback to earn the award – while Jones and Johnson were voted Co-Defensive Players of the Year.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2023, 04:17 PM
Kym Wimberly

Harvard All Ivy WR is a Bluehen

bulldog10jw
January 10th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Kym Wimberly

Harvard All Ivy WR is a Bluehen

Good player. He was injured and didn't play against Yale this past season, but he hurt us in 2021. Made a great catch for the winning TD with under 30 seconds left.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Good player. He was injured and didn't play against Yale this past season, but he hurt us in 2021. Made a great catch for the winning TD with under 30 seconds left.

good to hear

Hens also got a DB from Dartmouth

Wimberly HS video looked spectacular like he might of attracted SEC attention but I was surprised to see he didn’t play as Fr and sophomore at Harvard