PDA

View Full Version : Week 2: Prognosticating the Patriot

colgate13
September 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Week Two is now up on The 13 Yard Line. (http://colgate13.blogspot.com)

Quick summary:

Umass over Colgate
Holy Cross over G'Town
Fordham over Duquense
Lafayette over Richmond
Bucknell over Stony Brook
Lehigh over Delaware

I went 3-3 last week. Looking to do better this time around!

WMTribe90
September 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Two PL over A10 wins. Hate to say it, but I agree there's a good chance.

Clawson announced he will stick with the freshman QBs. Tutt at Qb would give UR the best chance at a win, but Clawson appears resloved to prepare the QB of tomorrow today and the UR offense will continue to struggle. Unless URs defense scores, I'd take Lafayette in a close one. 20-13.

The biggest improvements come between week one and week two and Lehigh has a huge advantage with a game under its belt. Last week's performance would not have gotten LU a win in Newark. Unfortunately, it will likely be the Hens stumbling out the gates this week, especailly considering the large number of newcomers to the UD lineup. Lehigh in a another close one 41-38 (2OT).

UMass thumps Colgate.

LBPop
September 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Lehigh has a huge advantage with a game under its belt.

On the surface I would agree with that assessment, but conversely Delaware now has current film on Lehigh while the Mountain Hawks have to use 2004 information. Wondering which offers the larger advantage. I ask because in week #3 Georgetown hosts Brown after two games of experience and it will be Brown's opener.

Fordham
September 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Pop - for my money, the advantage clearly goes to the team who was able to shake off some rust and iron out some kinks in week 1. Both of those thing are inevitable for every team, imo, and it's a big deal to have one under your belt before playing someone who hasn't been able to shake things off yet, regardless of whether or not they'll be able to pull off a surprise or two since they haven't seen any recent films.

Side note - this is a big, big week for the PL overall. I'm seeing a large # of people picking Duquesne over us and if we were to get swept by the A10 and then lose one or more mid-major games this week, it would be a horrendous sign about league competitiveness after what we saw in week 1.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM
On the surface I would agree with that assessment, but conversely Delaware now has current film on Lehigh while the Mountain Hawks have to use 2004 information. Wondering which offers the larger advantage. I ask because in week #3 Georgetown hosts Brown after two games of experience and it will be Brown's opener.

Lehigh held a lot back on offense last week. They did the same thing last year against Stony Brook to keep 'Nova guessing. I expect more running formations, most of their runs last week were without a lead blocker.Also, i expect them to use Marques Thompson more at running back. Lehigh did not look to their TE once who is a very capable of replacing Bergen in some degree so i think he'll be used more this week. I also think we might see some special plays for Threatt at QB. He was used in different situations last year and i think he'll get maybe 6 or 7 snaps on Saturday. I think way too many people are looking into Saturdays game with Monmouth with too much of a microscope. They did nothing fancy on offense nor on defense. It was pretty vanilla.

colgate13
September 7th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I bet Lehigh kept it pretty basic and just won by execution and athleticism.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I bet Lehigh kept it pretty basic and just won by execution and athleticism.

I haven't seen a 28 point victory reduced to rubble since Holtz was at ND. A lot of the stats from Saturday are deceiving. Lehigh would have had 600 yards of offense if it wasn't for Walkers 50 yard kickoff returns. Lehigh's D gave up points and yards that's because Lehigh's offense was putting points up at will forcing the D to be on the field a lot in 85 degree weather. If Lehigh played Monmouth 10 times they win 10 and the closest Monmouth gets is 17 points. There is not a doubt in my mind Saturday is going to be one of the best 1-AA games of the season. Lehigh is legit, they have no real weakness's. They have experience at every position as well as depth. Hell if Borda gets knocked out in the first quarter i have enough faith in Threatt to come in and do what is necessary to win.

DTSpider
September 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I bet Lehigh kept it pretty basic and just won by execution and athleticism.

Not many teams lose with the combination execution & athleticism. If Lehigh can in fact execute better than Delaware than they pull out the W. If UD makes a mistake or two and falls behind they're in trouble as I don't think the passing game is that great but they are very good running the ball.

MU Alum
September 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE= Hell if Borda gets knocked out in the first quarter i have enough faith in Threatt to come in and do what is necessary to win.[/QUOTE]

I dont agree with this comment at all. Borda is one of the best QB's in I-AA and from what I saw of Threat against MU the drop off was pretty steep. Monmouth's defensive strength is stopping the run, they did it very well against Lehigh early on. If Borda isnt in that game, Lehigh is in real trouble especially early on because I really dont believe Lehigh would have been able to run on us the way the moved the ball through the air. I was really impressed watching Borda and #9. Sorry if this post is a little in the past.