PDA

View Full Version : article on Western Carolina fans

woffordgrad94
October 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Wow, no love for the Catamount fans here. But I have to admit that if my Terriers were down 37-3 at half, I'd be at least a bit tempted to do something else myself.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20071026/NEWS/710260339/1018/SPORTS

catamount man
October 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I would like to invite this jackass of a reporter to sit with me and various others who have endured the mess that Kent Briggs has put out since his arrival in Cullowhee since January 2002.

I guarantee you this reporter would then have a clue and I'll guaran-DAMN-tee that if we had won last night, he wouldn't be writing this article. Just another deadline beater who has no clue as to what is truly happening in my beloved Cullowhee, but then again, the rest of the SoCon wants Briggs to never leave and why would they?

You must remember. Briggs BOLDLY told the assembled crowd gathered together in Cullowhee, the day he was hired, that if he didn't win a SoCon title in 5 years(2006 season) he would step down himself.

I think the man lost his wristwatch!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GreatAppSt
October 27th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I would like to invite this jackass of a reporter to sit with me and various others who have endured the mess that Kent Briggs has put out since his arrival in Cullowhee since January 2002.

I guarantee you this reporter would then have a clue and I'll guaran-DAMN-tee that if we had won last night, he wouldn't be writing this article. Just another deadline beater who has no clue as to what is truly happening in my beloved Cullowhee, but then again, the rest of the SoCon wants Briggs to never leave and why would they?

You must remember. Briggs BOLDLY told the assembled crowd gathered together in Cullowhee, the day he was hired, that if he didn't win a SoCon title in 5 years(2006 season) he would step down himself.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

http://demon.carvedangel.net/uploaded_images/nelson_ha_ha-736536.jpg

j/k CatMan.:D

Biff
October 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Maybe it was creative camera shots, but when I watched this game on TV, I saw a good number of loyal fans.

Being a fan of a school who has its rough years more times than not, this stuff happens. I for one, never leave until the last play is called dead ... just ask my wife. I think there is a lot to cheer about for WCU although a coaching change is probably needed. I think the talent is there, just needs a small tweak to start winning a few more games.

As long as y'all always lose to The Citadel, I really hope to see this program turn around soon.

asufan87
October 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Let me get this straight, a Wofford beat writer chastising an opponent about attendance? Maybe he should take a gander at all the empty seats in Gibbs Stadium before pulling out his laptop and pounding out stuff like this.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Let me get this straight, a Wofford beat writer chastising an opponent about attendance? Maybe he should take a gander at all the empty seats in Gibbs Stadium before pulling out his laptop and pounding out stuff like this.

not only should wofford look at themselves before criticizing others... they actually have a quality product on the field and still cant fill up their stadium that is smaller than wcu's so i dont want to hear this... wcu is going through a tough time and i cant wait for them to get a new coach and get things back on track

TTUEagles
October 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
At least it's good to see former TTU Off Coordinator, Doug Malone, is keeping the WCU offense rolling. He's a good one. Hope he is the next HC there, then I'll be a WCU fan!
If TTU draws 4,000 + for today's game against Scumford, I'd be stunned.
GO TECH!

catamount man
October 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
not only should wofford look at themselves before criticizing others... they actually have a quality product on the field and still cant fill up their stadium that is smaller than wcu's so i dont want to hear this... wcu is going through a tough time and i cant wait for them to get a new coach and get things back on track

Thank you bro. Good luck today against the furmies!xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

dungeonjoe
October 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM

With all due respect, it was not about attendance, but fans LEAVING the game way before it was over. Not like the ASU people who left the GSU game with less than ten minutes to go, but before half time.

dungeonjoe
October 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The article would still be valid and more so if WCU had pulled it out. Some of the fans that left gave up on the team Thursday night ; the team did not give up period.

the last few lines of the article:

That's where it ended, but what an unbelievable effort by the Catamounts.

Afterwards, they saluted the remaining fans by walking along the rail and giving high fives.

"Those people love us, man," Pittman said. "The rest of them, well, it doesn't bother us."

"We tell ourselves that we will play for each other," running back Willie Harper said. "It doesn't matter how many fans are in the stands. We'd play the same way if the stands were empty."

Not quite empty, but it was close.

dungeonjoe
October 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
again, it is not filling up the stadium... its about emptying out whatever is there well before the game is over.

catamount man
October 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
The article would still be valid and more so if WCU had pulled it out. Some of the fans that left gave up on the team Thursday night ; the team did not give up period.

the last few lines of the article:

That's where it ended, but what an unbelievable effort by the Catamounts.

Afterwards, they saluted the remaining fans by walking along the rail and giving high fives.

"Those people love us, man," Pittman said. "The rest of them, well, it doesn't bother us."

"We tell ourselves that we will play for each other," running back Willie Harper said. "It doesn't matter how many fans are in the stands. We'd play the same way if the stands were empty."

Not quite empty, but it was close.

And we still lost and if our players are happy about the way they've played and they like being 1-8, more power to them. This coaching staff's apathy has actually rubbed off on them. Hell, they couldn't survive a real coach but I hope they get the chance to play for one.

Of course, the players that stick up for Briggs are the ones who get away with all the garbage in Cullowhee. Adam Hearns, who was mr.everything against Elon, was caught out past his curfew the night before. Funny how he still was given the starting nod wasn't it? We have an OL who missed important team events last week, yet come 2nd series of the game, he was back in. These kids love Briggs because he's not tough and not a disciplinarian. Knowing a few former players, starters mind you, that have played for him, will tell you what an absolute joke he is. But hey, if Marquel Pittman wants to give high fives for a 1-8 effort, he can knock himself out.

I'll always pull for these kids, but down 44-17 and facing a 2 hour ride home for work the next day, yeah, I left...and didn't regret it. I have the game on tape and loss is still a loss. SHOW UP IN THE 1ST HALF!!!xmadx xmadx xmadx

terrierbob
October 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM

It was the reporter, not Wofford fans. It wasn't posted as a slight from WC to WCU. Remember the thread on attendance? IF half of our living grads and every current student showed up, it would still be 7-8K at Gibbs.

Jiggs
October 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
At least it's good to see former TTU Off Coordinator, Doug Malone, is keeping the WCU offense rolling. He's a good one. Hope he is the next HC there, then I'll be a WCU fan!
If TTU draws 4,000 + for today's game against Scumford, I'd be stunned.
GO TECH!

You better get him back before Watson turns you into loserville like he has done everywhere else he has been. Samford got the best coach from the UAB staff. Tech goes down today.xthumbsupx

BestOfBreed
October 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Remind me again how bad App State's playoff attendance numbers were before the last couple of years? xwhistlex

asufan87
October 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Remind me again how bad App State's playoff attendance numbers were before the last couple of years? xwhistlex

They were still better than your regular season attendance.:D

BestOfBreed
October 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Nope. Try again xlolx

App State playoff attendance prior to 2005
1987 1st rd 4,138
1987 2nd rd 9,229
1987 2rd rd 10,000
1995 1st rd 9,467
1995 2nd rd 8,941
1998 1st rd 3,885
1999 1st rd 6,837
2000 2nd rd 5,100
2001 1st rd 5,279
2002 1st rd 4,311
avg - 6,676

Wofford home attendance this year
Georgetown, KY - 6,420
Charleston Southern - 5,879
App State - 11, 042
Gardner-Webb - 6,218
Elon - 8,229
avg - 7,557

Homecoming is next week so that number should go up :)

gophoenix
October 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I think fans of other schools and writers for other schools, especially winning programs, to sit and take long time thinking about what it is like to go through multiple losing seasons and what that does to even the most loyal of fans.

I, and I think all Elon fans, can completely sympathize with what Western is going through. And, to sit and read the dribble from the "winning" writers and fans who not only dog your team, but then dog the loyalty of the fans in that situation is completely kicking those fans when they are down. And from a writer is completely uncalled for.

It is complete crap.

catamount man
October 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think fans of other schools and writers for other schools, especially winning programs, to sit and take long time thinking about what it is like to go through multiple losing seasons and what that does to even the most loyal of fans.

I, and I think all Elon fans, can completely sympathize with what Western is going through. And, to sit and read the dribble from the "winning" writers and fans who not only dog your team, but then dog the loyalty of the fans in that situation is completely kicking those fans when they are down. And from a writer is completely uncalled for.

It is complete crap.

You think it's bad here, you should read the CATAMOUNT PRIDE message board. Seems like since Thursday Brigg's followers have showed up asking us all to tone down the "negative talk". I guess they will do ANYTHING to see their golden boy retain his crown. 22-41 in 6 years is all I need to know.xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

DotCat
October 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
This article was spot on in reference to WCU fans this season. While the students have shown tremendous support this season, the most I've seen in some time, the "cup-holder" crowd has been rather absent in the west stands this season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Can anyone show me a school that has fans who won't leave if their team is down by 34 at halftime?

eaglesrthe1
October 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM
With all due respect, it was not about attendance, but fans LEAVING the game way before it was over. Not like the ASU people who left the GSU game with less than ten minutes to go, but before half time.

The timing is irrelevant. The fans leave when they decide that the home team is far enough behind that they can't make a comeback. The ASU fans left with less than ten minutes to go because that was when they went down by 18. The WCU fans left earlier because they were further behind.

walliver
October 29th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I think you have to keep in mind that this was a Thursday night game. The students can just walk (stumble) back to the dorms, but a lot of the alumni had to drive all the way home and then get up Friday morning and go to work.

I am one of those people who stays to the final whistle regardless of the score, but, I understand that others have other priorities.

appst97
October 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Nope. Try again xlolx

App State playoff attendance prior to 2005
1987 1st rd 4,138
1987 2nd rd 9,229
1987 2rd rd 10,000
1995 1st rd 9,467
1995 2nd rd 8,941
1998 1st rd 3,885
1999 1st rd 6,837
2000 2nd rd 5,100
2001 1st rd 5,279
2002 1st rd 4,311
avg - 6,676

Wofford home attendance this year
Georgetown, KY - 6,420
Charleston Southern - 5,879
App State - 11, 042
Gardner-Webb - 6,218
Elon - 8,229
avg - 7,557

Homecoming is next week so that number should go up :)

Hey B.O.B,

Try to compare apples to apples. What was Wofford's ave home att from 87-02?

What was our playoff attendance from 05-06? Just goes to show that Statistics can be bent to prove any point

dungeonjoe
October 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Hey B.O.B,

What was our playoff attendance from 05-06? Just goes to show that Statistics can be bent to prove any point

He compared what the poster asked...apples, oranges, or grapes.

BestOfBreed
October 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Hey B.O.B,

How about this one:
App State all-time I-AA/FCS home playoff attendance - Average 9,138
Wofford all-time I-AA/FCS home playoff attendance - Average 9,000

Those numbers include App States 2005 & 2006 playoff runs which are the only ones anyone ever showed up for. Granted, thats 17 home playoff games for App State and a puny 2 for Wofford :)

DotCat
October 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I think you have to keep in mind that this was a Thursday night game. The students can just walk (stumble) back to the dorms, but a lot of the alumni had to drive all the way home and then get up Friday morning and go to work.

I am one of those people who stays to the final whistle regardless of the score, but, I understand that others have other priorities.

Believe me, there were no alumni there, and they haven't been all season. Thank goodness the students have supported this team this year.

ASU
October 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Western Carolina WILL be back.....I have all the faith in the world in our brother school. There is no reason, other than recruiting and/or coaching that they are down.
Appalachian fans did not leave at halftime....when you put almost 30,000 fans into a 16,750 seat stadium, they just slide off the seats after they get lubricated. Thank goodness they are planning on an upper deck by start of football in 2008. Will at least help some.

Appdad
October 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
lt looked like a tomb at Wofford in 2005 on the "home" side during the second half of the App game and that was on a Satuday afternoon. Point is the writer should be flagged 15 yards for a personal foul. As sorry a job he does covering WC there were many better stories on both sides than a low blow slam at WCU.

catamount man
October 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Believe me, there were no alumni there, and they haven't been all season. Thank goodness the students have supported this team this year.

I would like to think that if I leave while we're down 44-17 with the fact that I have to drive 90-120 minutes back to South Carolina to get enough sleep for work the next morning, it wouldn't be held against me.

Proud member of the "cup holder" crowd.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!