PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 11, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
November 7th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Here are your candidates, hand-picked for GOTW:

#4 North Dakota State @ Southern Illinois - The Salukis playoff run starts here (maybe?). Can the Bison avoid losing out on a seed?

#14 Richmond @ #17 Delaware - The Spiders are looking to position themselves for a CAA title. The Blue Hens are looking to avoid having to sweat out Selection Sunday.

#24 Rhode Island @ #21 New Hampshire - The Wildcats can all but solidify a playoff spot..so can the Rams (assuming both win their last games, in which they should both be favored).

#9 Samford @ #11 Chattanooga - The Bulldogs need to continue to play strong for a seed. The Mocs can put themselves in position to win the SoCon (and a seed is not out of the question).

#13 Furman @ #10 Mercer - Now we get to find out about the Bears, while the Paladins also attempt stay in step to win the conference title (FUBeAR can explain why they both should still be in the running for seeds, which I can’t say I disagree with, but now is when they start the MVFC-like cannibalization that I read somewhere only occurs in the SoCon).

#28 UC Davis @ #12 Idaho - The Aggies playoff run started in Week 7 (Oct 15). Can the Vandals avoid being 7-4...and potentially on the outside looking in?

#25 Princeton @ Yale - The Ivy League championship could be this weekend...could be the next. Don’t know, but only 12 days left of the season.

Austin Peay @ Kennesaw State - Who knows what the ASUN-WAC Power Rankings will bring, but best to keep winning.

Gardner-Webb @ Campbell - The Runnin’ Bulldogs (even with an overall losing record) have a chance to set up a Big South championship game next week. The Fighting Camels need this to have a chance at the auto-bid (lose and done, assuming North Carolina A&T takes care of business against Charleston Southern this weekend). And finally, it is the BBQ Bowl...does West NC BBQ stand a chance?

Of course, there were some other games of intrigue left off this list (did not include those with FBS-transitioning teams and a good SWAC matchup), but if yours is one of those missing games, make yourself heard.

crusader11
November 7th, 2022, 03:18 PM
That NDSU at Southern Illinois intrigues me more than any other game this weekend for a few reasons.

- SIU playing for their playoff lives.
- NDSU, assuming they win out, will be a top four seed. Any loss and they’re likely playing on the first weekend with an 8-3 record.
- Should they lose to SIU, then they actually could be facing a must-win situation against North Dakota (who also are playing for their playoff lives). I don’t see a 7-4 NDSU in the playoffs. Their resume is pretty weak when you look at it.

FUBeAR
November 7th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Jeez…you do such great work…and then you omitted the most important aspect of the Gardner-Webb @ Campbell game.
https://twitter.com/espnmcgee/status/1589642357577654272
Eastern NC BBQ is undefeated for about 400 years!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg-Ls5zXwAA03N0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Preferred Walk-On
November 7th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Jeez…you do such great work…and then you omitted the most important aspect of the Gardner-Webb @ Campbell game.
https://twitter.com/espnmcgee/status/1589642357577654272
Eastern NC BBQ is undefeated for about 400 years!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg-Ls5zXwAA03N0?format=jpg&name=900x900

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FUBeAR again. I have edited the first post to reflect the trophy game aspect.

Preferred Walk-On
November 7th, 2022, 03:32 PM
That NDSU at Southern Illinois intrigues me more than any other game this weekend for a few reasons.

- SIU playing for their playoff lives.
- NDSU, assuming they win out, will be a top four seed. Any loss and they’re likely playing on the first weekend with an 8-3 record.
- Should they lose to SIU, then they actually could be facing a must-win situation against North Dakota (who also are playing for their playoff lives). I don’t see a 7-4 NDSU in the playoffs. Their resume is pretty weak when you look at it.

You had me until that last sentence, but I am hoping we don't see a 7-4 record.

crusader11
November 7th, 2022, 03:59 PM

Just don't see that happening either, but if it comes down to it...how could the committee possibly put NDSU in the field over an 8-3 UND or 7-4 SIU? They couldn't.

The Cats
November 7th, 2022, 05:21 PM
In

ncspiderfan
November 7th, 2022, 05:41 PM
Homered the CAA again with Rhody and New Hampshire. I noticed on some of the other threads many think this is a playoff elimination game and I believe they are right. Both are good teams, but the loser is most likely staying home for Thanksgiving at 7-4.

McCowboys
November 8th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Serious question: In the grand scheme of things, what actually is the benefit of being selected "game of the week"?
Yes, I vote each week, but then, so what?
At least I hope this week another conference besides the Big Sky or MVFC (both of which I have great respect for) will be selected.

FUGameBreaker
November 8th, 2022, 08:47 AM
Monumental Saturday in the SoCon ahead! xthumbsupx

crusader11
November 8th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Serious question: In the grand scheme of things, what actually is the benefit of being selected "game of the week"?
Yes, I vote each week, but then, so what?

The same benefit as any other poll or thread around here -- they're all meaningless, if you really want to get down to the nuts and bolts. I assume we all venture to this message board as a nice diversion and form of entertainment, right?

MSUBobcat
November 8th, 2022, 10:36 AM

He's not exactly wrong. If NDSU were to somehow drop their last 2 games (very unlikely), their best win, and only win over a playoff, would be 8-3 NC A&T, assuming they win out (Massey actually has them losing to G-W). If NC A&T does, in fact, lose to G-W and not make the playoffs, the record of the teams they beat would be 25-52, with no wins over playoff teams, ending on a 2 game slide against teams they would be fighting with on the bubble in 8-3 UND and 7-4 SIU. NDSU would have to be the 4th team taken from MVFC in that situation, which they probably would anyway because of the run they've been on for over a decade, and I don't think anyone left out could argue much.

All that said, the odds of NDSU losing both games, according to Massey, is 8%, so it's likely a moot discussion.

I chose the Samford-Chatty showdown, though either SoCon game could be GOTW.

JacksFan40
November 8th, 2022, 10:56 AM
Voted for Samford @ Chattanooga, but keep an eye on UC-Davis @ Idaho. Aggies have been on an absolute tear since that brutal start to the season, and Idaho is one of the biggest surprises of the season. Both teams are fighting for their playoff lives, though this game matters more for Davis since they already have 4 losses. They aren’t getting in if they lose this game, regardless of if they beat Sac State next week. Idaho can finish 7-4 with a win over Idaho State next week and I think they’ll still be in.

Chalupa Batman
November 8th, 2022, 12:14 PM
8 games receiving a vote so far this week. In my short time here I can't recall this many games garnering a vote, looks like an exciting weekend on tap!

FUGameBreaker
November 8th, 2022, 12:24 PM
As far as atmosphere for the 2 SoCon showdowns, FU @ MU will be the most hype, should be a great crowd

UTC has not been drawing well this year, and well Samford just has no fan base to begin with

FUBeAR
November 8th, 2022, 02:47 PM
As far as atmosphere for the 2 SoCon showdowns, FU @ MU will be the most hype, should be a great crowd

UTC has not been drawing well this year, and well Samford just has no fan base to begin with
You are not wrong - FU @ MU will be packed and the crowd at Mercer seems to have finally learned attending a Football game is way-different than attending a Golf Match. With Furman bringing multiple buses of fans to the game (as the Paladins used to take to Statesboro, back in the GaSou rivalry days), the Bears are hoping to break the attendance record in Five Star Stadium!

That said, FUBeAR is gonna stick up for the BirdShoesTrains of Chattanooga a bit. Attended the MU @ Chatt game a couple of weeks ago. Had not been to Finley in a few years and was very pleasantly surprised. Previously the aura surrounding the stadium was best described as “abandoned industrial, possible Hazmat Superfund site.” But…the area has really developed. Multiple entertainment venues and brewpups all around the stadium and the trees around and in the medians of the parking lot(s) have really grown to provide some shade. Does not feel like a smaller version of the parking lot at Six Flags anymore. It’s really a nice place to tailgate. All employees were very nice and helpful, as were the Chatt fans. And, the crowd seemed a few thousand larger than reported. The home side seemed mostly full and the Mocs crowd was pretty loud and into the game. Samford, as you noted, won’t bring anyone other than a few Players’ parent, but Chatt should have a decent crowd and will, possibly, be pretty hype.

No, it really won’t compare with the environment of the FU @ MU game, but it will be decent.

Mocs123
November 9th, 2022, 07:41 AM
You are not wrong - FU @ MU will be packed and the crowd at Mercer seems to have finally learned attending a Football game is way-different than attending a Golf Match. With Furman bringing multiple buses of fans to the game (as the Paladins used to take to Statesboro, back in the GaSou rivalry days), the Bears are hoping to break the attendance record in Five Star Stadium!

That said, FUBeAR is gonna stick up for the BirdShoesTrains of Chattanooga a bit. Attended the MU @ Chatt game a couple of weeks ago. Had not been to Finley in a few years and was very pleasantly surprised. Previously the aura surrounding the stadium was best described as “abandoned industrial, possible Hazmat Superfund site.” But…the area has really developed. Multiple entertainment venues and brewpups all around the stadium and the trees around and in the medians of the parking lot(s) have really grown to provide some shade. Does not feel like a smaller version of the parking lot at Six Flags anymore. It’s really a nice place to tailgate. All employees were very nice and helpful, as were the Chatt fans. And, the crowd seemed a few thousand larger than reported. The home side seemed mostly full and the Mocs crowd was pretty loud and into the game. Samford, as you noted, won’t bring anyone other than a few Players’ parent, but Chatt should have a decent crowd and will, possibly, be pretty hype.

No, it really won’t compare with the environment of the FU @ MU game, but it will be decent.

I'm less optimistic....as UTK plays at noon and the weather will have cooled off by then, so that will keep some people away. This game deserves 10K+ but will probably have 7.5-8K in attendance.

ElCid
November 9th, 2022, 08:25 AM
With Furman bringing multiple buses of fans to the game (as the Paladins used to take to Statesboro, back in the GaSou rivalry days), the Bears are hoping to break the attendance record in Five Star Stadium!

Talking about attendance and Mercer is an exercise in futility as long as Mercer continues to report tickets sold versus actual butts in seats. Last time I was at a game there a few years ago they reported it as sold out. May have been but about half the seats on home side were empty entire game. Looking at TV shots of the last couple games where the reported figures were at or close capacity showed me that things haven't changed. Unless the fans are using some new stealth technology. Sure it's fine for the $, but coming up short on enthusiasm. Bottom line is comparing ATTENDANCE figures when you mean using tickets sold instead is no valid comparison or mark of achievement. Even with half a stadium we outdraw you in actual warm bodies.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2022, 09:45 AM
Talking about attendance and Mercer is an exercise in futility as long as Mercer continues to report tickets sold versus actual butts in seats. Last time I was at a game there a few years ago they reported it as sold out. May have been but about half the seats on home side were empty entire game. Looking at TV shots of the last couple games where the reported figures were at or close capacity showed me that things haven't changed. Unless the fans are using some new stealth technology. Sure it's fine for the $, but coming up short on enthusiasm. Bottom line is comparing ATTENDANCE figures when you mean using tickets sold instead is no valid comparison or mark of achievement. Even with half a stadium we outdraw you in actual warm bodies.
Feel better?

For the 9,773rd time, FUBeAR will advise …

Unlike at The Citadel, where 2,300 people (knobs are people too, right?) are forced to attend every home game AND sit in their assigned seats, the design of Mercer’s stadium lends itself to people mixing and mingling vs. regimented seating to watch some halftime beat & blow band play the hottest tunes from the 60’s…the 1860’s. The Mercer crowd is more of a cocktail party environment than a military formation.

The large berms on each end, the large open porticos (if that’s the right word) on either end of the home-side stands and behind the seating on the visitors side, and the large walkway in front of the field house (see pic below) offer great sight lines to watch the game, while hanging out in a group, or as is the case with FUBeAR’s roving actions when he attends Mercer games, not having some annoying idiot nearby detracting from his enjoyment - which is actually, for FUBeAR, anyone that doesn’t have expert knowledge of Offensive Line play.

https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/vmikeydets.com/images/2021/10/13/five_star_stadium.jpg

So…thousands of people are not seated in their assigned seats, hoping that ElCid will count their nose, at a time of his choosing, while seated on the pale blue leatherette couch in his basement. They are enjoying themselves. You bellhops should try it some time…understanding it’s hard to do while losing an average of 7 games per year since 2016, but still…y’all could at least try to act like you’re having fun.

Bottom line 1 - unless you have a regiment or battalion or night shift crew of your baggage handlers counting people as they spin the turnstiles at Five Star Stadium every week, you have no idea how many people are/are not in attendance at Mercer Football games.

Bottom line 2 - Mercer’s administration, Mercer Alums, Mercer fans, Mercer Coaches & Players, and the Macon-Bibb area are just pleased as punch with Mercer University Football, with Five Star Stadium, with the attendance at games, and with the AMAZING game day experience there. Can you say any of that about CIT Football?

Maybe you should don your Orange & Black…or wear all that Paladin Purple you secretly store in your wardrobe…this weekend and come on down. It’s gonna be a FUN-FILLED day!

https://i.postimg.cc/L504CYDr/8-B705-F0-B-AC95-40-FE-BF24-4-A5-B8-D254-A09.jpg

Arrive early - you don’t want to miss Dillon Carmichael!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdaR3JL8gHo

Mocs123
November 9th, 2022, 09:51 AM

I think tickets sold is the norm for reporting attendance, so it's not like Mercer is doing something unusual. If you go and look at Chattanooga's game AT ETSU this year where they reported 10K attendance at (in a stadium that seats less than 8K), it was empty due to the rain that day. There might have been 2,500 people sitting in the stands but nowhere near the 10K they reported even if you add in the people in the press box, the TV crew, the radio crews, players, officials, or anyone that has a pulse within a half a mile of the stadium.

ElCid
November 9th, 2022, 04:57 PM
I think tickets sold is the norm for reporting attendance, so it's not like Mercer is doing something unusual. If you go and look at Chattanooga's game AT ETSU this year where they reported 10K attendance at (in a stadium that seats less than 8K), it was empty due to the rain that day. There might have been 2,500 people sitting in the stands but nowhere near the 10K they reported even if you add in the people in the press box, the TV crew, the radio crews, players, officials, or anyone that has a pulse within a half a mile of the stadium.

Fairly sure that may happen but isn't the norm everywhere.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Fairly sure that may happen but isn't the norm everywhere.
Per a 2017 WSJ compiled data set of FBS schools, only 1 school used the “Actual Attendance” vs. “Tickets Distributed” (note… “distributed,” not even “sold”) of the only 2 NCAA allowable attendance reporting methodologies. You’ll be happy to know that school was the United States Naval Academy. So…you are correct. It is not the norm “everywhere”; just in 99.5% of “everywhere”…

Top 10 Scanned Tickets (aka “butts in seats”) Percentage to Reported Attendance

SCHOOL
ANNOUNCED ATTENDANCE
SCANNED TICKETS
SCANNED PERCENTAGE
HOME GAMES
WIN PERCENTAGE (2017)

Navy
100.00%

South Alabama*
95.6%
33.3%

Western Kentucky
95.1%
46.2%

Georgia Southern*
90.8%
16.7%

Tennessee
88.0%
33.3%

Wisconsin
84.3%
92.9%

Missouri
82.8%
53.8%

Ohio State
82.5%
85.7%

Clemson
82.1%
85.7%

Hawaii
80.7%
25.0%

Bottom 10 Scanned Tickets (aka “butts in seats”) Percentage to Reported Attendance

Coastal Carolina*
17.0%
25.0%

Louisiana Monroe
26.8%
33.3%

Buffalo
27.8%
50.0%

Eastern Michigan
31.6%
41.7%

Miami (Ohio)
36.1%
41.7%

Akron
37.2%
50.0%

Arkansas State
38.2%
58.3%

San Jose State
39.8%
15.4%

Ohio U
40.9%
69.2%

UTEP
46.5%
0.0%

Perhaps, The Citadel, like Navy for FBS, is the sole shining beacon on the hill for FCS Football Attendance reporting. If so, we’ll allow the bellhops that as their only claim to fame.