PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown/Lehigh preview Up

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
It's up.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

carney2
October 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM
A shocker. Homer and Marge are getting a divorce.

Seawolf97
October 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Gotta root for the Hoya's to win number 2. I think everyone along the eastcoast will be playing in the rain tomorrow. Good luck to both teamsxthumbsupx

Fordham
October 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Tough write-up, LFN. If you guys lose to G-town and also Lafayette, does Coen survive at Lehigh? My guess is not. Like I said elsewhere, his tenure (and oddly his overall look as well) reminds me so much of our Foley era, and that one had the plug pulled on it quickly - and fortunately so for us, given what Masella has done. I tend to agree with your previous write-up that your chance to turn around the season was a few weeks ago and now it's time to play some frosh and hope that at least you see some effort, caring and passion on the field out there (imo, that's what killed Foley's chances since fans and admin will give much more leeway to a team that's giving it their all).

I also loved your UNI reference and hope it's not only applicable but for your sake and Coen's (who seems like a great guy from everything I read), I hope it comes true.

What I have no doubt of, is that Lehigh will be fine whether or not it's Coen in charge or not. The commitment to football and success in football is too big.

The Historian
October 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
If Lehigh beats Lafayette I think Coen will have no problem, unless there is another Holy Cross debacle repeat prior to that game. Lehigh was very slow to pull the plug on a wrestling coach who in the 1990's nearly ruined the program, which is far more important than another sport to the people that are giving the big money.

I do not think it is clear just how much of this decline can be attributed to Coen. The lack of intensity and preparation is a concern, but I would bet on at least two more years, baring a complete meltdown for the rest of the season.

LehighFan11
October 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Ah man LFN I hope your wrong. I can't sit through another rain game and watch lehigh lose to georgetown. Coen's decision spilt time between Sedale and Bokosky is a really bad decision. When you have 2, you have none. Pick one, and not a poor mans chad pennington (bokosky).

ngineer
October 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
If Lehigh beats Lafayette I think Coen will have no problem, unless there is another Holy Cross debacle repeat prior to that game. Lehigh was very slow to pull the plug on a wrestling coach who in the 1990's nearly ruined the program, which is far more important than another sport to the people that are giving the big money.

I do not think it is clear just how much of this decline can be attributed to Coen. The lack of intensity and preparation is a concern, but I would bet on at least two more years, baring a complete meltdown for the rest of the season.

The wrestling team's downturn was primarily attributable to Lehigh's inability to recruit anymore based on the need formula. Turner saw the writing on the wall and got out when the getting was good. Yes, Strobel is an excellent coach, but he came here benefitting from the Trustees change of policy in going to full scholarships for recruiting. IF you check the historical records, you will see that Turner's teams from 1982-88 were 44-54-2; the last two years going 11-21 and finishing 22nd in the NCAAs in 1988. Hutchinson, unfortunately, got swamped by the tidal wave that was building. Therefore, there is no comparison to what is occuring in football. I am hopeful that what we're seeing is the effect of the transition that was not all that smooth.. behind the curve in the first year on recruiting and realizing that this is Coen's first job as a Head Coach. It usually takes some time to learn how to be the 'boss' and make the many decisions that have to be made.
IF Coen can rally the troops who respond with emotion and tenacity, then his job should be safe. No one wins all the time. But you're expected to play the game all the time.

ngineer
October 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM
LFN--good analysis. And you are correct that based upon the product's performance last week, G'town wins. However, the effort at Yale was good, just some missed opportunities. IF the effort made at Yale reappears, we'll beat the Hoyas by 2-3 touchdowns. If last week's team reappears it will be ugly.

LeopardFan04
October 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM
The wrestling team's downturn was primarily attributable to Lehigh's inability to recruit anymore based on the need formula. Turner saw the writing on the wall and got out when the getting was good. Yes, Strobel is an excellent coach, but he came here benefitting from the Trustees change of policy in going to full scholarships for recruiting. IF you check the historical records, you will see that Turner's teams from 1982-88 were 44-54-2; the last two years going 11-21 and finishing 22nd in the NCAAs in 1988. Hutchinson, unfortunately, got swamped by the tidal wave that was building. Therefore, there is no comparison to what is occuring in football. I am hopeful that what we're seeing is the effect of the transition that was not all that smooth.. behind the curve in the first year on recruiting and realizing that this is Coen's first job as a Head Coach. It usually takes some time to learn how to be the 'boss' and make the many decisions that have to be made.
IF Coen can rally the troops who respond with emotion and tenacity, then his job should be safe. No one wins all the time. But you're expected to play the game all the time.

Hutch coached wrestling and taught Physics at my high school.

ngineer
October 26th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hutch coached wrestling and taught Physics at my high school.

Hutch is a classy guy. I feel sorry for him that he gets saddled with the albatross previously discussed. His story of success at Lehigh, being a walk on and going on to win the EIWA Championship two times at 190 and 177 was legend, and what propelled him to become assistant to Thad Turner.

LeopardFan04
October 27th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Hutch is a classy guy. I feel sorry for him that he gets saddled with the albatross previously discussed. His story of success at Lehigh, being a walk on and going on to win the EIWA Championship two times at 190 and 177 was legend, and what propelled him to become assistant to Thad Turner.

I didn't have him as a teacher, but he always seemed well liked. I see that he's back at my alma mater (Hill) this year. Hopefully he, and the new head coach, can the get program back on track.

The Historian
October 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I didn't have him as a teacher, but he always seemed well liked. I see that he's back at my alma mater (Hill) this year. Hopefully he, and the new head coach, can the get program back on track.

Someone can be well liked and a nice guy and not be a good head coach.

In nearly 100 years of wrestling, Lehigh has won over two-thirds of its dual meets. While Hutch was coach, Lehigh won less than one-third. For 40 years prior to his tenure, Lehigh never finished lower than third in the EIWA tournament. Aside from a second place finish his first year, Lehigh never finished higher than fourth while Hutch was coach and eighth twice.

The record speaks for itself. Once again, he was not a bad person, but he did not have the skills necessary to be head coach of an elite D-I wrestling program. My point was if the AD would give Hutch six seasons, he is likely to give Coen more than two.

LeopardFan04
October 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM

In nearly 100 years of wrestling, Lehigh has won over two-thirds of its dual meets. While Hutch was coach, Lehigh won less than one-third. For 40 years prior to his tenure, Lehigh never finished lower than third in the EIWA tournament. Aside from a second place finish his first year, Lehigh never finished higher than fourth while Hutch was coach and eighth twice.

The record speaks for itself. Once again, he was not a bad person, but he did not have the skills necessary to be head coach of an elite D-I wrestling program. My point was if the AD would give Hutch six seasons, he is likely to give Coen more than two.

I doubt Coen would go after 2 years. The only way I think he'd be gone is a complete collapse. I think even with a loss to Lafayette, he probably stays. I think 2 years is too short of a time for any coach to be fully evaluated.

ngineer
October 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I fully agree with your point in terms of whether Andy gets some more time. However, as with anything involving numbers, the record does not tell the story as to how the numbers came to be. I am not saying Hutch is a Strobel; however, if you look at the program before Hutch took over, it was already taking on water and he was given zero help in stemming the flow.