PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Payton Award Hopefuls

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I know the 2007 award has not even been awarded and quite frankly, we're not even sure who the finalists will be, but I wanted to ask the AGS faithful who they thought would be some of the top names for the 2008 Payton Award...

From the SLC, I'm going with QB Nathan Brown of UCA who will be a senior. He's only going to get better as the team around him, which is fairly young, gets even more experience. This team is good now and they'll be even better next year..

If you need him this year, Brown leads the SLC with 2,044 passing yards and 19 touchdown passes...not bad, eh?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
They do need to start updating the lists for both the Payton Award and the Buchannon Award.

Don't know if he's worthy of the Payton Award, but Rodney Landers should at least be on the list.

slostang
October 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
WRs have never done that well in winning the Walter Payton award compared to QBs and RBs. There have been 10 QB, 9 RB and only 1 WR (1997 Brian Finneran - Villanova).

Cal Poly 6'6" 230 lb. WR Ramses Barden may have as good of a shot as any WR. Through 7 games this year he leads all WRs in yards per game (140 yards), touchdowns (12), receiving yards (980 yards) and yards per reception (26.5 yards). Cal Poly returns 10 starters on offense next season (including the QB Jonathan Dally who is the second rated passer in the FCS with a QB rating of 199). Cal Poly's offense currently is second in the FCS in yards per game (494 yards) and tenth in scoring (39 points). Ramses is set up for a huge season next year.

UMass922
October 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Mike McLeod of Yale.

89Hen
October 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Omar Cuff of Delaware and Mike McLeod of Yale (both RBs) are the first two names that spring to mind for me.
I wish we could keep Omar for a 5th year, but alas, this is his last. :(

grizband
October 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Omar Cuff of Delaware and Mike McLeod of Yale (both RBs) are the first two names that spring to mind for me.
I believe Cuff is a senior this year, so he won't be eligible for the 2008 Payton award. xsmiley_wix

UMass922
October 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I believe Cuff is a senior this year, so he won't be eligible for the 2008 Payton award. xsmiley_wix

Duh. My bad.

GSU 25+yrFan
October 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM
GSU's Jayson Foster starting quarterback, (4.35 in the 40)but also plays wide reciever, slotback, fullback, quarterback (throwing & running), punt returns, blocker, decoy, and place holder. As a freshman he scored 5 different ways, pass, reception, rush, punt returned, kickoff (I think he the only freshman or player to do this). The biggest impact player in the Socon if not I-AA (I hate FCS) Costal Carolina game 6 touchdowns & 250 yds rushing. The Colts had a scout at this game.

This is a 06 video, Vangoober only attempted to give him the ball 5 times a game last year, thank god he is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7gvbo9X-0

What the other Socon coaches said about JF before the season.
http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=404&Itemid=30

3rd in rushing
http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indrushing.htm
4th scoring
http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indscoring.htm

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
GSU's Jayson Foster starting quarterback, (4.35 in the 40)but also plays wide reciever, slotback, fullback, quarterback (throwing & running), punt returns, blocker, decoy, and place holder. As a freshman he scored 5 different ways, pass, reception, rush, punt returned, kickoff (I think he the only freshman or player to do this).

This is a 06 video, Vangoober only attempted to give him the ball 5 times a game last year, thank god he is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7gvbo9X-0

Costal Carolina game 6 touchdowns & 250 yds rushing. The Colts had a scout at this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxEyq2OBfI

I thought Foster was a senior.xconfusedx

GSU 25+yrFan
October 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I thought Foster was a senior.xconfusedx

He is a senior, I'm sorry I was just talking about his past too.

BulldogFan
October 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
DukeDawg,
The award lists were updated a couple of weeks ago. Unsure how often this is done throughout the season. Do the schools lobby for the award like the heisman or is it a vote by coaches, media, etc? Thx

MSU_77
October 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Derrick Fourroux, QB McNeese State, SOPHOMORE, through 7 games 88-141 passing for 1,355 yards, 13 TD, 4 INT, 167.9 passer rating

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM
RJ Toman

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM
RJ Toman

I don't think Toman will be on the initial lists and depending on who else is on it may not be on it all year, but he will DEFINITELY be on there by his junior and senior year.

ElonPride
October 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I'm suprised the nation's 2nd peading passer hasn't made the list.....SCOTT RIDDLE!!!

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think Toman will be on the initial lists and depending on who else is on it may not be on it all year, but he will DEFINITELY be on there by his junior and senior year.

I'd be willing to make a bet that he will appear on it at some point next season :D

stevdock
October 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Well since he is already on this year's list, NDSU Tyler Roehl should have a good shot, depending on if Merten's can step in for the graduating Walker at QB.

crusader11
October 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Dominick Randolph. Already one of the best B's in FCS this season, and has a chance next year to be the best.

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Reading this thread so far there seems to be some confusion. The title of the thread and the question refer to 2008, next season, but it appears to me that many are responding about this year, i.e. Jayson Foster wouldn't be included in this discussion as he won't be an Eagle (at least a GSU Eagle) next year :(

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'd be willing to make a bet that he will appear on it at some point next season :D

He'll be a sophmore (I think). I always feel like underclassmen have to go above and beyond to get on the list. If he's on the list next year, he'll have to have xeekx xeekx numbers.

Then again, maybe that's what you're counting on...

EDIT: Just to clarify, the above and beyond standard is not mine, that's just what I think the award committee does.

Elon Fightin' Christians
October 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'm suprised the nation's 2nd peading passer hasn't made the list.....SCOTT RIDDLE!!!

Or the nation's leading receiver- Terrell Hudgins (10.57 rec/game)

slostang
October 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Or the nation's leading receiver- Terrell Hudgins (10.57 rec/game)

Terrel Hudgins leads the nation (FCS) in reception, but the nations leading FCS receiver is Cal Poly's Ramses Barden who leads the FCS in yards per game (140)/receiving yards (980)/touchdowns (12)/yards per reception (26.5). Both are very impressive though.xthumbsupx

eaglesrthe1
October 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I think that the Payton will undergo one more revision before the end of the season,and Riddle may be on it then. No matter what type of numbers he puts up he stands little chance of winning, however. I don't think that a freshman has ever won.