PDA

View Full Version : Team Traditions...and Superstitions

EagleCreekH20
October 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM
So we all love the game and everything that goes into it, but the traditions are the icing on the cake when it comes to football...

What are some of you schools team traditions before a game, during, after?

Also, are there things that you absolutely do on a game day because of superstitions?

Georgia Southern's are that the team travels to the field on two yellow caddy's (school buses) and sings "the valley song" which only players supposedly know.

They take a jug of Eagle Creek Water on road games and purify the field at which they are visitors at to give them a piece of home.

The unis stem from the Local High School (Statesboro High) letting the team use the uniforms and equipment.

When the team goes onto the field, they give Erk's statue a nice rub on the head and a headbutt and then are off.

Georgia...Southern! (crowd chants) Whose House?....Our House!

I know this isnt all the traditions of GSU, but its the ones im most familiar with (im a newbie to GSU footballxthumbsupx ) So if there are anymore let me know.

So whats your football traditions?

OL FU
October 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
They take a jug of Eagle Creek Water on road games and purify the field at which they are visitors at to give them a piece of home.

I have alerted the EPAxnodx

citdog
October 26th, 2007, 07:48 AM
every trip to statesboro i take a big ***** in eaglet crick

andy7171
October 26th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I refrained from having sex, either with someone or by myself :o , from Thursday until after the game.

Oh and I always had french toast as my pre-game meal. xnodx

GSUjack
October 26th, 2007, 09:16 AM

xnonox

DSUHornet
October 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
HOLD YOUR FOUR FINGERS UP FOR FOURTH QUARTER STARTS AND 4TH DOWNS. RAISE YOUR HELMET SIGNIFYING ONE HORNET.

T-Dog
October 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
App fans point towards the opponents endzone at an elevated 45 degree-ish angle before every kickoff signifying where we want the ball to end up.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Furman's defense always touches the goalpost when they leave the field. I don't know why.

furman94
October 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Shaking of the Keys,
Rally Rags,
Flagman,
Paladin Man.

DuckDuckGriz
October 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Every couple years, the hardest-working, hardest-hidding player on the defense is given the #37. The kid has to be from Montana. Notable past 37s have been Ciche Pitcher, Andy Petek, Jason Crebo, Tim Hauck. Currently it's Loren Utterback.

The Victory Bell is rung after every home win.

The North Endzone cannon goes off after every score.

Mountain Panther
October 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Does it shoot videotapes and batteries at opposing players?

Down with the Foe!
October 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Every couple years, the hardest-working, hardest-hidding player on the defense is given the #37. The kid has to be from Montana. Notable past 37s have been Ciche Pitcher, Andy Petek, Jason Crebo, Tim Hauck. Currently it's Loren Utterback.

A (Continued from above as I understand it)

The current holder of #37 chooses the next player as well, usually a Freshman or a Soph. if not mistaken.

B) The players come out of the tunnel, and run down to the North End Zone to pay their respect to us the Whacko's (What Mick, the Voice of MT Football, calls the NEZ fans) as you can imagine...the crowd returns the favor in a big way.

It really sets the stage for what it about to come.

C) After every First down the Stadium Annoucner says : "That's good for another Firstdownnnnnnnnnn!!!!!"...and the crowd screams "Montana!!!!"

Go Griz

Down with the Foe!
October 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Does it shoot videotapes and batteries at opposing players?

Only when UNI comes to town, since they won't exchange Scouting Video's with Montana. Worked out real well for them as I recall.

xthumbsupx

Biff
October 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Come to The Citadel. Biggest and loudest cannons in football.

Casey_Orourke
October 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evidently Coach Glanville has a rule that the team arrives at a game city more than 24 hours before a game. Last week the rule was broken when PSU went to Pocatello and look what happened.

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2007/10/jims_gems_breaking_the_24hour.html

Maybe in the future Jerry will travel a little earlier.

Grizzaholic
October 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Come to The Citadel. Biggest and loudest cannons in football.

We got a new cannon but we cannot fire it in the stadium. They test fired it and it knocked out the power in the NEZ.

AggieFinn
October 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
1. Three words: Bossy Cow Cow

Before every game with the Band-Uh! It's a quirky little Aggie number for the crowd to throw away all their "coolness" and get in the game.

"Bossy Cow-Cow,
Honey Bee-Bee,
Oleo Margaine,
Oleo Butterine,
Alfalfa...HAY!"

2. Ringing the Tavernetti Victory Bell by the number of points we score in any home win.

http://www.aggiepack.com/graphics/Pictures/traditions/vic_bellbig.jpg

T-Dog
October 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
A few more traditions

-"And that's another Appalachian State.....first down!" (minus in Statesboro because it's banned there)
-Firing of Yosef's rifle after every score.
-Beating Western
-Touching of the "Today I give my all for Appalachian State" plaque shaped like the state of NC by the players in the lockerroom.
-The four fingers signifying the fourth quarter.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
So we all love the game and everything that goes into it, but the traditions are the icing on the cake when it comes to football...

What are some of you schools team traditions before a game, during, after?

Also, are there things that you absolutely do on a game day because of superstitions?

Georgia Southern's are that the team travels to the field on two yellow caddy's (school buses) and sings "the valley song" which only players supposedly know.

The unis stem from the Local High School (Statesboro High) letting the team use the uniforms and equipment.

When the team goes onto the field, they give Erk's statue a nice rub on the head and a headbutt and then are off.

Georgia...Southern! (crowd chants) Whose House?....Our House!

I know this isnt all the traditions of GSU, but its the ones im most familiar with (im a newbie to GSU footballxthumbsupx ) So if there are anymore let me know.

I always thought it was Alabama's Practice jerseys.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
After several years of training, we now have a live eagle that flies down onto the field from the top of the press box before the game starts. I always tailgate with a few stragglers and I haven't gotten to see it yet. :(

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Fellow Griz fans help me out:

Isn't there some deal with what color pants are worn for home games? Was it maroon pants and jerseys that cursed us a few years ago????

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
When the kicker is running towards the ball to kick it off, everyone yells
"Gooooooooooooooo BLUE! ONE MORE TIME!!" "BLUE" is time so it is said when the ball is kicked. It's a recent thing, but it's still cool.

Mountain Panther
October 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Only when UNI comes to town, since they won't exchange Scouting Video's with Montana. Worked out real well for them as I recall.

xthumbsupx

That's what your biased local media led you to believe, Foe.

Who cares. You still won.

Biff
October 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
We got a new cannon but we cannot fire it in the stadium. They test fired it and it knocked out the power in the NEZ.

Sounds like you need a new stadium, I'm not sure what type of cannon we use, other than they are Civil War era cannons. But, when they fire them, they are heard for miles and shake most the stadium.

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you need a new stadium, I'm not sure what type of cannon we use, other than they are Civil War era cannons. But, when they fire them, they are heard for miles and shake most the stadium.

The "new" cannon is a 75mm, Vietnam-era piece (IIRC). The old one that is still used is much smaller but I don't remember what it is (37mm or 45mm?).

dgreco
October 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
we have to brass bulldogs at the entrance to the football stadium, and the tradition is to rub the right paw of each one for goodluck for the sports team. They are new this year (trying to start a tradition) most sports are played inside this complex area where you enter, besides indoor sports, and in the fall the teams went to date a combined record of 76-10.

uofmman1122
October 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Fellow Griz fans help me out:

Isn't there some deal with what color pants are worn for home games? Was it maroon pants and jerseys that cursed us a few years ago????I honestly love the maroon on maroon jerseys. Very menacing, in my opinion.

EKU05
October 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Like many schools we do have a cannon. Ours is fired by the ROTC at EKU. Also, after every win (home or away)..the team gathers to sing an old Appalachian folk song called "Cabin on the Hill"...although it has evolved from a soft song into a chant these days I hear.

There is also a statue of Daniel Boone in front of EKU's signature building (Keen Johnson Building). Students will rub his left toe for good luck (athletic or academic)...and as the band marches by the statue on their way to the stadium one member climbs onto the pedastol and high fives the rest of the members as they file past.

Also, during the first half of the homecoming game each year the PA guy will page a fictional man named "Bruno Wassertile" to the press box. Although it's quickly becoming a fad all over the region, Cornhole has been the tailgating game of choice and EKU for years and years.

Lastly, EKU is one of only a handful of schools to recognize two official fight songs (both original to Eastern). Both are used as "Hail, Hail Eastern Maroons" is played after touchdowns followed by "Rally Maroon and White (Yea Eastern!)" after the PAT.

Kill'em
October 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
When the kicker is running towards the ball to kick it off, everyone yells
"Gooooooooooooooo BLUE! ONE MORE TIME!!" "BLUE" is time so it is said when the ball is kicked. It's a recent thing, but it's still cool.

That's when I start yelling "Kill Him!"

Kill'em
October 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM

That is because it is usually beaten out of you. xlolx

Biff
October 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM
That is because it is usually beaten out of you. xlolx

Actually, he wouldn't have that problem if he would fry the eagle before eating it.

poly51
October 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
At the north end of Spanos/Mustang Stadium Cal Poly has a Memorial to the the members of the 1960 football team that were killed when the team's plane crashed in Toledo, Ohio after a game with Bowling Green.

Before every home game and before leaving for any road game the team files by and touches the stone,

ChiefGSU275
October 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I always thought it was Alabama's Practice jerseys.

Me too. But not just alabama, we got jerseys from UGA and Auburn as well. I think our game jerseys were old alabama jerseys, and others were used for practice.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Personally my game day tradition is to find the richest looking alum possible and then subtly inquire if he has any daughters. If yes I take it from there, if no I begin hitting on his wife. xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Oh I forgot to mention my advances are typically met with screw you, you fat a-- xlolx

BEAR
October 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
At UCA we have a few traditions:

Coach Conque always wears his hat backwards.

...and my favorite. When the game is so far out of reach (for either team)..the fans leave. Or when it's too cold, the fans leave. Or when the concession stands make people sick, they leave. Or if they stay it's to talk to each other and on their cell phones, then they leave. :(

Seven Would Be Nice
October 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Tailgating before the game has always been a great GSU tradition. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I don't know if its more of a southern thing or not, but my sister went to Dayton and said hardly anyone tailgated. xeekx Whats wrong with you people?!

EagleCreekH20
October 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Me too. But not just alabama, we got jerseys from UGA and Auburn as well. I think our game jerseys were old alabama jerseys, and others were used for practice.

I heard that we used some unis from SHS...not sure. Thats what one of my elders once told me. Gotta respect my elders...

PantherRob82
October 27th, 2007, 10:57 PM
HOLD YOUR FOUR FINGERS UP FOR FOURTH QUARTER STARTS.

Apparently everyone does this now. Every year more teams do it.

PantherRob82
October 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
That's when I start yelling "Kill Him!"

funny, so do i. xeekx

Sam Adams
October 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Our tradition is beating UNH.xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
October 28th, 2007, 01:45 AM
funny, so do i. xeekx

It's how I got my nickname. For 15 years, I have yelled "Kill Him!" everytime we kick off or punt. It is my encouragement to the coverage team to obliterate the returner.

Pards Rule
October 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I bring my stuffed leopard to all Lehigh games. My mother saw it at a yard sale and bought it prior to my freshman year as a quirk. Anyway, he's held in there - including having his ass literally eaten by our dog almost a quarter century ago AND most horrific being swiped from my hood after the upset win in 1981 until I jumped out of the car (still rolling) and chased the Lehigh culprits down (there were four of them) and got my Leopard back. Still to this day I have no clue how a 125 pound sophomore in enemy territory got it back from four drunken Engineers. Oh, yes, the car (my "new" 1967 Cougar - just got it that summer) was steered into safety by a quick witted back seat passenger. As I quickly exited, in a calm, teeth- clenched tone said "Dan, take the car" and I hear him wailing "Dougger - nooooooooooooo!!!" as I started sprinting. Yeah, we relive that every year.