PDA

View Full Version : Villanova/Rutgers

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2005, 01:12 AM
I'm going to be there on Sept. 10th, hoping to witness firsthand a I-AA knocking off a I-A. I figure, Villanova's not bad, and with Rutgers there's always the chance of a knockout.

What do people think out there? Any chance for Rutgers' I-A scalp?

FlyBoy8
September 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
After last week's embarrassing meltdown vs. Illinois and last year's embarrassing loss to UNH, there is ZERO chance Rutgers is overlooking Villanova.

But hey, like they say, there's always a chance. It's just a very small chance in this case. It really depends on how good Nova is this year, and that's obviously yet to be decided.

Slightly off-topic: I occasionally listen to a NY sports radio station (660 "The Fan") while I'm working because I get tired of some of the incredibly negative Philly talk show hosts. Mike and the Mad Dog were working over a Rutgers broadcaster today pretty good about what he was saying at halftime vs. what happened. I almost felt sorry for the guy, but it was pretty funny.

colgate13
September 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Please beat Rutgers, it would make this jersey boy's day!

ChickenMan
September 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
No upset this year... Rutgers isn't bad and should have beaten Illinois last week. RU will likely win this by more than two TDs.

JMG1MON
September 7th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Believe me if Rutgers doesn't blow Villanova out (which I do not think they will), the Rutgers message board will be in absolute total meltdown mode and Schiano may not make it out of Piscataway alive!!! This game will go a long way to seeing just what kind of a coach Schiano is (not good imho) and what kind of heart these players have!!!

henfan
September 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I seldom route for 'Nova but this is one time I'm pulling hard for them. Imagine Rutgers being beaten three consecutive times by an A-10 team (Nova in '02, UNH in '04)!

Fordham
September 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
No upset this year... Rutgers isn't bad and should have beaten Illinois last week. RU will likely win this by more than two TDs. Don't you think they were saying the same thing after beating Michigan St. last year prior to the UNH game?

Go 'Nova!

ChickenMan
September 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Don't you think they were saying the same thing after beating Michigan St. last year prior to the UNH game?

Go 'Nova!

RU will likely win this one by more than two TDs... :nod:

henfan
September 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
BTW, in 2006 Rutgers will host a I-AA team from Delaware- the Del State Hornets.

colgate13
September 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Here is a fairly balanced article on the game from a local NJ paper: The Courier News (http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/SPORTS02/509070368/1012/SPORTS10)

Ivytalk
September 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
No upset this year... Rutgers isn't bad and should have beaten Illinois last week. RU will likely win this by more than two TDs.

I agree with the result (RU win) but I think the margin will be 7-10 points.

charliej
September 7th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I felt the same way watching the first half on Sat. But we still have history & Schiano on our side so I'm stickin with my prediction of less than 2 TD's. :D

wild4nova
September 7th, 2005, 10:07 PM

IF Nova hadn't pasted them 3 years ago, and
IF Rutgers hadn't lost last week, and
IF it wasn't Nova's first game of the season, and
IF Nova was as good as they were in 2002, and
IF Rutgers was as bad as they were in 2002

then MAYBE there'd be a chance. But since NONE of these are true, I'm afraid we have no shot. A 10-point loss, "moral victory" at best.

colgate13
September 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Never say never. I learned that last week. :( There's always a chance.

foghorn
September 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM
BTW, in 2006 Rutgers will host a I-AA team from Delaware- the Del State Hornets.

Since Delaware State has D-IA aspirations, do you think "... this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.." and that DSU will be invited to the Big East? :eek:

henfan
September 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Fog', I wonder if UD has sent its structural engineers up to New Brunswick to warn RU that Rutgers Stadium columns are bound to collapse if they allow the Hornets to take the field? Evidently, JMU didn't believe them either. :D

Fordham
September 8th, 2005, 11:53 AM
RU will likely win this one by more than two TDs... :nod: I agree that RU should be the clear favorite, just noting that the dynamics between last year and this year are similar.

GannonFan
September 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I'm going to be there on Sept. 10th, hoping to witness firsthand a I-AA knocking off a I-A. I figure, Villanova's not bad, and with Rutgers there's always the chance of a knockout.

I'm sure you said this before but why are you going to the nova/Rutgers game (as others have said, maybe a win for nova in other years but, alas, not this one) as opposed to going to the UD/Lehigh game?

SunCoastBlueHen
September 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I'm sure you said this before but why are you going to the nova/Rutgers game (as others have said, maybe a win for nova in other years but, alas, not this one) as opposed to going to the UD/Lehigh game?

I'm sure it has something to do with miniscule ticket allotment given by UD to LU.