PDA

View Full Version : HBCU Conference Expansion

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM
From Yahoo, news that Chowan College (NC) will be joining the CIAA, but is not a historically black college.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-color-blindconference&prov=ap&type=lgns

Are there scenarios in the future where non-HBCU's in the Southeast would be potential expansion targets for the MEAC?

dgreco
October 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
From Yahoo, news that Chowan College (NC) will be joining the CIAA, but is not a historically black college.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-color-blindconference&prov=ap&type=lgns

Are there scenarios in the future where non-HBCU's in the Southeast would be potential expansion targets for the MEAC?

As a football only affiliate that works for the CIAA. They also tried to get UNC-Pembroke but nothing else has really happened.

HIU 93
October 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I posted this about a month ago...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29871

To answer your question, the answer is no. The MEAC will add NCCU in the near future, but that will probably be it, unless a there is a new conference formed in the Mid Atlantic area that would take with it Morgan, Coppin, UMES, and DSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I posted this about a month ago...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29871

To answer your question, the answer is no. The MEAC will add NCCU in the near future, but that will probably be it, unless a there is a new conference formed in the Mid Atlantic area that would take with it Morgan, Coppin, UMES, and DSU.

A very interesting sidebar to this discussion is that the SWAC may be thinking about joining the FCS playoffs if they could play their games the week after the "Bayou Classic". A lot of the impetus of the discussions about the MEAC splitting involved one faction that was "gung-ho playoffs" and another that thought that the MEAC couldn't compete and should instead concentrate on other HBCU/SWAC classics: but if the SWAC joins the playoff party again, what happens to that faction?

HIU 93
October 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
A very interesting sidebar to this discussion is that the SWAC may be thinking about joining the FCS playoffs if they could play their games the week after the "Bayou Classic". A lot of the impetus of the discussions about the MEAC splitting involved one faction that was "gung-ho playoffs" and another that thought that the MEAC couldn't compete and should instead concentrate on other HBCU/SWAC classics: but if the SWAC joins the playoff party again, what happens to that faction?

Seeing as I have some knowledge of what's going on in the MEAC, the ONLY person I have heard talking about the MEAC ending playoff participation is Dennis Thomas. That idea was quickly shouted down by a majority of the Presidents. Unless Dr. Thomas could guarantee some SERIOUS annual money (much more than the Bayou Classic payouts, for example), you're not going to find many MEAC Presidents that agree with something like that.

DSUHornet
October 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
THE REASONING BEHIND THESE CONFERENCES IS RIDICULOUS ANYWAY. THERE IS NO NEED FOR HISTORICALLY BLACK CONFERENCES OR SCHOOLS FOR THAT MATTER. IT'S EMPERICAL SEGREGATION. AND IF A TEAMS SUCKS, JUST LET THEM SUCK. LET THE OTHER TEAMS RUN ALL OVER THEM, THEY CATCH ON TO THINGS AFTER A WHILE.

SU Jag
October 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
THE REASONING BEHIND THESE CONFERENCES IS RIDICULOUS ANYWAY. THERE IS NO NEED FOR HISTORICALLY BLACK CONFERENCES OR SCHOOLS FOR THAT MATTER. IT'S EMPERICAL SEGREGATION. AND IF A TEAMS SUCKS, JUST LET THEM SUCK. LET THE OTHER TEAMS RUN ALL OVER THEM, THEY CATCH ON TO THINGS AFTER A WHILE.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Are there a few sub-Div I teams in the HBCU ranks that we could look to possibly moving up to Div II or Div I from their current status?

Belhaven (MS) for instance to Div II from NAIA?

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM

This is a joke right?

BTW, that word is 'empirical' and could you please give further explanation to your terminology? I've never heard that theory being stated as a reason against HBCUs.

Until you offer explanations for the theory, I'm going to assume that you mean people segregating because of their past experiences. It seems to be able to be defined in that manner; but it doesn't make sense considering even blacks who attend predominately white colleges tend to segregate themselves; so I wonder why you feel that is unique to HBCU's?

813Jag
October 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
If that's the case why do you go to DSU? xconfusedx

Big Dawg
October 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
If that's the case why do you go to DSU? xconfusedx

Cause it's DSU...think about it

HIU 93
October 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Are there a few sub-Div I teams in the HBCU ranks that we could look to possibly moving up to Div II or Div I from their current status?

Belhaven (MS) for instance to Div II from NAIA?

The NCAA has a moratorium on schools moving up right now.

PS- Belhaven is not a HBCU.

nmatsen
October 27th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Hate to start a negative here but I totally agree with him. Why do we still have historically "black" colleges and the united "negro" college fund when we "must" be called african americans. Not that big of a deal to me, black is black, white people are white but you would think with all of the sensitivity that is out there people would have a cow. I am a teacher and if I would call a student black or negro I would lose my job. But when they want to promote their college it is okay to be a historically "black" college. Or when they want people to feel sorry for African Americans and raise money for college it it is okay to use words like negro. xsmhx xsmhx

gram4life
October 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Hate to start a negative here but I totally agree with him. Why do we still have historically "black" colleges and the united "negro" college fund when we "must" be called african americans. Not that big of a deal to me, black is black, white people are white but you would think with all of the sensitivity that is out there people would have a cow. I am a teacher and if I would call a student black or negro I would lose my job. But when they want to promote their college it is okay to be a historically "black" college. Or when they want people to feel sorry for African Americans and raise money for college it it is okay to use words like negro. xsmhx xsmhx

Ok now go somewhere with this lie, you are not getting fired for calling a child Black.

HIU 93
October 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Ok now go somewhere with this lie, you are not getting fired for calling a child Black.

I know. Some people just want to start schitt.