View Full Version : Coach Prime prefers the Celebration Bowl to the FCS playoffs

bonarae
November 1st, 2022, 11:49 PM
... why?

https://www.mtmvpn.com/post/coach-deion-sanders-prefers-the-celebration-bowl-to-the-fcs-playoffs-why-let-s-talk-about-it

Bisonoline
November 1st, 2022, 11:59 PM
... why?

https://www.mtmvpn.com/post/coach-deion-sanders-prefers-the-celebration-bowl-to-the-fcs-playoffs-why-let-s-talk-about-it

I always thought playing the game was always about the competition. Whose better. It seem from this article and some posts by others the game or better yet --their game is about attendance. The show.

mvfcfan
November 2nd, 2022, 05:36 AM
He doesn't want his team to be exposed, because they'd actually have to play real teams in the playoffs. The SWAC is 0-20 all time in the playoffs and the MEAC is on a 20 game playoff losing streak.

dewey
November 2nd, 2022, 06:22 AM
It makes sense to me why the HBCU's don't participate in the FCS Playoffs (financial, tradition and exposure).

Nothing wrong, to me, about others wanting a different path that is better for their universities.

Dewey

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 06:51 AM
It makes sense to me why the HBCU's don't participate in the FCS Playoffs (financial, tradition and exposure).

Nothing wrong, to me, about others wanting a different path that is better for their universities.

Dewey

The two options are the following:

1) Get blown out in front of 4,000 people in late November and early December and go home

2) Play in a competitive (maybe not this year) bowl game in a completely full NFL stadium on national TV, receiving exposure that probably equals the FCS title game as well as any of the random December bowl games.

Panther88
November 2nd, 2022, 07:55 AM
Most of you folk are beyond a level of remedial which is almost indescribable.

What part of "nobody in our support system gives 2 f8cks about YOU, your imbecilic 'opinion' or thought, OR your puke school?" do you not comprehend OR ACCEPT? You and what you represent are important to you singularly in that frigid lonely world you dwell in.

Most of us on this side don't watch your "fcs" champeenship game on tv but we will easily watch a P5 or some other bowl game. Looking forward to seeing the more intelligent folk at SHSU in a bowl game representing CUSA soonest. xthumbsupx

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 08:26 AM
I have no problem with the SWAC and MEAC preferring the Celebration Bowl to the NCAA Playoffs. Are they playing the best competition by doing so - no, but they do get a game on national TV in front of a packed house that most G5 programs would be jealous of.

If the SWAC and MEAC decided to send their champions to the NCAA Playoffs rather than the Celebration Bowl, they'd likely play a first round game the Saturday after Thanksgiving in front of a terrible crowd and lose and their season over. I'd argue that FCS has some silo's with the SWAC/MEAC being one, the Ivy being another, and the Pioneer League being a third.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2022, 08:29 AM
The Pioneer is a weird league of misfits, but they are guaranteed a spot in the party each year, so wouldn't classify them as their own silo.

GAD
November 2nd, 2022, 08:58 AM
Invite any eligible SWAC or MEAC team and they will show up.

Baron Sardonicus
November 2nd, 2022, 08:58 AM
The Celebration Bowl is the most fun anyone has at this level of football. Fun is good.

Baron Sardonicus
November 2nd, 2022, 09:04 AM
The Pioneer is a weird league of misfits, but they are guaranteed a spot in the party each year, so wouldn't classify them as their own silo.

Not misfits. They are simply the non-scholarship teams from outside the Ivy League. Ideally, they would have a bowl game against the Ivy League. It would not sell a lot of tickets, but would be an excellent TV showcase on ESPN.

bonarae
November 2nd, 2022, 09:05 AM
Not misfits. They are simply the non-scholarship teams from outside the Ivy League. Ideally, they would have a bowl game against the Ivy League. It would not sell a lot of tickets, but would be an excellent TV showcase on ESPN.

But when should that "bowl game" take place? After all CFB playoffs end? that's the only time all eight are free... :(

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2022, 09:06 AM
The Celebration Bowl is the most fun anyone has at this level of football. Fun is good.

Can't argue with this.^^^

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 09:27 AM

They are the only non-scholarship teams outside of Georgetown. Ivy League is non-scholarship in name only.

Nobody would show up but an Ivy-PFL matchup would be a better bowl game than you'd expect most years. If you put the 8 Ivy teams against the top 8 Pioneer teams, Ivy's probably win at least 6 or 7 of those. But the Pioneer seems to have a solid champion more often than not. San Diego has 2 playoff wins now? And then of course a couple years back you had Drake (2nd or third in PFL that year) nearly pull off a colossal early December upset at Iowa State in a game that was scheduled two weeks prior.

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 09:35 AM
Invite any eligible SWAC or MEAC team and they will show up.

Best shot this year probably NC Central. SC State still has the leg up over them in the loss column with the H2H win but needs to sweep Delaware State, Howard and Norfolk State. I think they lose one of those 3, Central wins out and gives us the much better Celebration Bowl matchup -- I know SC State beat JSU last year but I think they'd get wrecked in a re-match.

If NC Central AND SCSU both run the table the rest of the way, SCSU gets the auto-bid and Central would be at least on the outer bubble at 9-2 with a quality win @ UNH. The 2 D-II wins won't help though.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2022, 09:38 AM
Can't argue with this.^^^

I can. To me, it's a pretty meaningless game. I rank it up there with a whole bunch of bowl games that I only watch casually if I happen to be at a bar on a Tuesday in mid-December. I'm not 100%, because my memory is suspect, but I don't think I've ever watched a Celebration Bowl. Just because the stands are full doesn't make it a fun game to watch. I believe there are TX high school games that have surpassed 55k in attendance. Doesn't make me want to search out a way to stream it.

Don't get me wrong, I get that financially it easily surpasses FCS playoffs and helps these programs balance their athletic budgets. If that's what your school needs to do, more power to you. IMO, it's the same as these teams that schedule 2 FBS games in one year which puts them behind the 8-ball for making the playoffs. EWU and Idaho will make a similar amount, if not more, than the CB participants at $1.385M and $1.875M, respectively (Idaho's payout for Indiana was inflated due to being FBS when the game was scheduled).

I don't fault them for their preference, but it isn't for me.

Sitting Bull
November 2nd, 2022, 09:39 AM
Who cares

Sir William
November 2nd, 2022, 10:42 AM
Here are two truths, and they are not incongruent with each other, but both are equally true alongside each other:

1) Truth #1 - The Celebration Bowl is a much better place to be for the respective HBCU teams. More money, more exposure (a bona fide nationally-watched game), an opportunity to be crowned the best HBCU team, etc. It's not a meaningless game, let's be honest. It's a great "bowl" game for the programs and schools involved. And like the FCS playoff games, it's a fun game to watch, especially if you're a college football fan.

2) Truth #2 - History shows (and it's beyond reasonable debate) that the SWAC and MEAC cannot compete with nor win against the caliber of other FCS teams - in the postseason - that make up the FCS playoffs each year. Seldom at best (but usually never), a MEAC team might compete in or even squeak out a win at the 1st round level. End of story. Period.

Jackson St is ranked #5 and #9 respectively in the AFCA Coaches poll and the FCS STATS poll. Is Jackson St actually the fifth or ninth best FCS team in the country? Absolutely not. Not even close. The ranking has nothing to do with whether or not the Tigers are actually #5 or #9, or any other number for that matter. Hey, I love Coach Prime, and I think he's doing a fantastic job (fully expect him to wind up as HC at a P5 school and do well). His son is a bona fide D1 QB, who could probably see playing time at many FBS programs (and even a few P5s). Jackson St is a good FCS football team. In fact, very good! But Top 10? Please. Put Jackson St in the MVFC, Big Sky, SoCon or CAA, and they are middling on their best day.

And as Sitting Bull has noted previously..."who cares?"

DFW HOYA
November 2nd, 2022, 10:59 AM
That's an easy call. Which one would you want for your team?

A. 50,000 people in Atlanta, a $1 million payout per school, a battle of the bands, and an ABC national broadcast
B. 3,448 people in San Antonio LA vs. Incarnate Word, no payout, a streaming broadcast on ESPN+.

What game is more impactful to that school and those kids?

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 11:57 AM
That's an easy call. Which one would you want for your team?

A. 50,000 people in Atlanta, a $1 million payout per school, a battle of the bands, and an ABC national broadcast
B. 3,448 people in San Antonio LA vs. Incarnate Word, no payout, a streaming broadcast on ESPN+.

What game is more impactful to that school and those kids?

Add to that => Game A has potential to be epic. Game B you're down 41-10 in the third quarter.

To be fair, I think Jackson State would have a fighting chance to win a playoff game this year. If unseeded, I'd give them a 50-50 shot of winning a Round of 24 game. If seeded, 30-35% chance to win a quarterfinal game at home. Probably the same boat my school will find itself in.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 11:58 AM
Here are two truths, and they are not incongruent with each other, but both are equally true alongside each other:

1) Truth #1 - The Celebration Bowl is a much better place to be for the respective HBCU teams. More money, more exposure (a bona fide nationally-watched game), an opportunity to be crowned the best HBCU team, etc. It's not a meaningless game, let's be honest. It's a great "bowl" game for the programs and schools involved. And like the FCS playoff games, it's a fun game to watch, especially if you're a college football fan.

2) Truth #2 - History shows (and it's beyond reasonable debate) that the SWAC and MEAC cannot compete with nor win against the caliber of other FCS teams - in the postseason - that make up the FCS playoffs each year. Seldom at best (but usually never), a MEAC team might compete in or even squeak out a win at the 1st round level. End of story. Period.

Jackson St is ranked #5 and #9 respectively in the AFCA Coaches poll and the FCS STATS poll. Is Jackson St actually the fifth or ninth best FCS team in the country? Absolutely not. Not even close. The ranking has nothing to do with whether or not the Tigers are actually #5 or #9, or any other number for that matter. Hey, I love Coach Prime, and I think he's doing a fantastic job (fully expect him to wind up as HC at a P5 school and do well). His son is a bona fide D1 QB, who could probably see playing time at many FBS programs (and even a few P5s). Jackson St is a good FCS football team. In fact, very good! But Top 10? Please. Put Jackson St in the MVFC, Big Sky, SoCon or CAA, and they are middling on their best day.

And as Sitting Bull has noted previously..."who cares?"
FUBeAR cares.

FUBeAR fully understands why SWAC & MEAC Schools/Teams place the Celebration Bowl in primacy over the FCS Playoffs.

FUBeAR fully understands why non-SWAC & non-MEAC Schools/Teams/Fans are more than a little irked by SWAC & MEAC Schools/Teams/Fans not participating (fully) in the FCS Playoffs, claiming competitive parity without evidence of it, and also using “National Champion” terminology related to the Celebration Bowl

And…not to be political…but it’s kinda like the abortion question…if you can’t at all understand the ‘other side’s’ position, then you probably shouldn’t participate in a discussion about the topic. If you are ‘that guy,’ that’s fine with FUBeAR, but FUBeAR has 0 interest in anything you have to say about the issue.

So…what does FUBeAR have to say on the matter…

1) If FCS still exists as an entity after the NCAA Constitution Committee completely does their thing, then…

2) FCS Leadership MUST find a way to work around the SWAC Championship Game AND the Celebration Bowl to find some way to get the MEAC & SWAC Champions involved in the FCS Playoffs. This might require things that most people would say are “unfair” - such as Automatic Seeds or Permanent Home Games… need to find a way to make it make sense. It doesn’t now. Find a way.

3) While FCS Leadership is accomplishing that impossible task, they simultaneously need to FIND A WAY to get the Ivy League Champion to participate in the FCS Playoffs.

FCS Football needs these 3 Conferences fully participating in FCS Football more than these 3 Conferences need to be part of FCS Football.

* FUBeAR doubts either of these things will even be lightly considered and certainly will never happen because they would both require the people of the NCAA who are responsible for FCS Football to actually do some work on behalf of FCS Football and we all know that is just too much to ask.

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 12:04 PM
FUBeAR cares.

FUBeAR fully understands why SWAC & MEAC Schools/Teams place the Celebration Bowl in primacy over the FCS Playoffs.

FUBeAR fully understands why non-SWAC & non-MEAC Schools/Teams/Fans are more than a little irked by SWAC & MEAC Schools/Teams/Fans not participating (fully) in the FCS Playoffs, claiming competitive parity without evidence of it, and also using “National Champion” terminology related to the Celebration Bowl

And…not to be political…but it’s kinda like the abortion question…if you can’t at all understand the ‘other side’s’ position, then you probably shouldn’t participate in a discussion about the topic. If you are ‘that guy,’ that’s fine with FUBeAR, but FUBeAR has 0 interest in anything you have to say about the issue.

So…what does FUBeAR have to say on the matter…

1) If FCS still exists as an entity after the NCAA Constitution Committee completely does their thing, then…

2) FCS Leadership MUST find a way to work around the SWAC Championship Game AND the Celebration Bowl to find some way to get the MEAC & SWAC Champions involved in the FCS Playoffs. This might require things that most people would say are “unfair” - such as Automatic Seeds or Permanent Home Games… need to find a way to make it make sense. It doesn’t now. Find a way.

3) While FCS Leadership is accomplishing that impossible task, they simultaneously need to FIND A WAY to get the Ivy League Champion to participate in the FCS Playoffs.

FCS Football needs these 3 Conferences fully participating in FCS Football more than these 3 Conferences need to be part of FCS Football.

* FUBeAR doubts either of these things will even be lightly considered and certainly will never happen because they would both require the people of the NCAA who are responsible for FCS Football to actually do some work on behalf of FCS Football and we all know that is just too much to ask.

There's really no way to make #2 make sense. In addition to the SWAC Championship and the Celebration Bowl, you also have the Grambling-Southern game Thanksgiving Weekend. There just isn't a solution, really. Unless you created some kind of bizarre bracket where you said OK, let's have the Celebration Bowl the same week as the FCS quarterfinals and then automatically have that winner go straight to the FCS semis.

#3 -- If the NCAA went to the extreme of telling the Ivy League that they had to go to the playoffs or be banned from playing non-conference regular season games going forward, they would just stop playing non-conference games and go to a 7 game Ivy League season. What else are they going to do? Take away scholarships? Lol.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 12:18 PM
There's really no way to make #2 make sense. In addition to the SWAC Championship and the Celebration Bowl, you also have the Grambling-Southern game Thanksgiving Weekend. There just isn't a solution, really. Unless you created some kind of bizarre bracket where you said OK, let's have the Celebration Bowl the same week as the FCS quarterfinals and then automatically have that winner go straight to the FCS semis.

#3 -- If the NCAA went to the extreme of telling the Ivy League that they had to go to the playoffs or be banned from playing non-conference regular season games going forward, they would just stop playing non-conference games and go to a 7 game Ivy League season. What else are they going to do? Take away scholarships? Lol.FUBeAR is just not a “no way” guy. “Bizarre” very well might have to be ‘in play.’ ‘Sticks’ like “banning” and “taking away” would not be in the game. This would be a ‘carrots’ play. FCS needs MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy ALL IN way more that they need to be. Find out what could possibly make it make sense for them…and then make it happen.

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 12:22 PM
FUBear -- trying to be creative here. What type of carrot would you dangle in front of the Ivy League?

Maybe guarantee 90 minute halftimes during all playoff games to allow for a political demonstration of their choice to take place?

How about a fund-raising play -- a certain % of all proceeds from playoff TV coverage and Frisco attendance $$ goes towards academic scholarships for African American students? I think both the HBCU and the Ivies would at least stop and go hmmm...but of course the HBCU's could correctly counter that the Celebration Bowl has the potential to raise even more.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 12:30 PM
It has already been said, but money, history, and exposure is the main reasons. All of these are better in the Celebration Bowl compared to the playoffs. Plus it's not like any HBCU team would ever come remotely close to Frisco, so why waste your time. NC A&T was the peak of HBCU football from 2015-2020 and they appeared in the playoffs once during that run in 2016 and got throttled by a mid tier Richmond team. Jackson State would end up the same way if they choke in the SWAC championship game and end up in the playoffs, they'd get throttled by a 7-4 UNI or 7-4 Idaho in front of at best 8,000 fans, same as FAMU last year against SE Louisiana. HBCU football is mid tier D2 caliber football propped up by history from the 1960s.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 12:33 PM
FUBear -- trying to be creative here. What type of carrot would you dangle in front of the Ivy League?

Maybe guarantee 90 minute halftimes during all playoff games to allow for a political demonstration of their choice to take place?

How about a fund-raising play -- a certain % of all proceeds from playoff TV coverage and Frisco attendance $$ goes towards academic scholarships for African American students? I think both the HBCU and the Ivies would at least stop and go hmmm...but of course the HBCU's could correctly counter that the Celebration Bowl has the potential to raise even more.
Right - that’s the type of thinking … but like any ‘customer,’ the best way to find out what they want is to ask them. So, that’s where these mythical people that ‘work’ for the NCAA would need to start.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 12:35 PM
It has already been said, but money, history, and exposure is the main reasons. All of these are better in the Celebration Bowl compared to the playoffs. Plus it's not like any HBCU team would ever come remotely close to Frisco, so why waste your time. NC A&T was the peak of HBCU football from 2015-2020 and they appeared in the playoffs once during that run in 2016 and got throttled by a mid tier Richmond team. Jackson State would end up the same way if they choke in the SWAC championship game and end up in the playoffs, they'd get throttled by a 7-4 UNI or 7-4 Idaho in front of at best 8,000 fans, same as FAMU last year against SE Louisiana. HBCU football is mid tier D2 caliber football propped up by history from the 1960s.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/013/282/thatguy.jpg

Sir William
November 2nd, 2022, 12:36 PM
FUBeAR cares.

Hope you didn't take me for "that guy", and I don't think you did if I'm reading correctly. My point was that there is truth to both sides (if anyone is going to take a side), and no on should actually take one side versus the other. I understand and appreciate the position of the SWAC and MEAC playing in the Celebration Bowl, even though I wish their conference champions would compete in the FCS playoffs.

Anyway, hope I didn't say it the wrong way, just in case. And if so, my apologies - not intended.

taper
November 2nd, 2022, 12:40 PM

IMO no carrot needed, only the stick. This is the Football Championship Subdivision. If you don't participate in the Championship playoffs, you're not FCS. Simple as that. If the HBCU still want to have a separate bowl game it's not impossible, just can't be during the playoff weeks.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 12:44 PM
Hope you didn't take me for "that guy", and I don't think you did if I'm reading correctly. My point was that there is truth to both sides (if anyone is going to take a side), and no on should actually take one side versus the other. I understand and appreciate the position of the SWAC and MEAC playing in the Celebration Bowl, even though I wish their conference champions would compete in the FCS playoffs.

Anyway, hope I didn't say it the wrong way, just in case. And if so, my apologies - not intended.
The HBCU conferences decision at least has sound logic with the Celebration Bowl being so profitable. I am much more annoyed by the Ivy League not participating simply because they view the playoffs as beneath them and do not want to tarnish their decades of history by getting beat my some middle of no where MVFC or Big Sky team in a playoff game in front of 8,000 fans on ESPN+

POD Knows
November 2nd, 2022, 12:48 PM
FUBeAR is just not a “no way” guy. “Bizarre” very well might have to be ‘in play.’ ‘Sticks’ like “banning” and “taking away” would not be in the game. This would be a ‘carrots’ play. FCS needs MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy ALL IN way more that they need to be. Find out what could possibly make it make sense for them…and then make it happen.
The FCS "tourney" doesn't need the Ivy, the MEAC or the SWAC, got too many teams in that playoff now, why add more teams that will lose in the first game.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2022, 12:51 PM
FUBeAR is just not a “no way” guy. “Bizarre” very well might have to be ‘in play.’ ‘Sticks’ like “banning” and “taking away” would not be in the game. This would be a ‘carrots’ play. FCS needs MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy ALL IN way more that they need to be. Find out what could possibly make it make sense for them…and then make it happen.
There are probably ways to make it possible but the juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO and you risk alienating the conferences that do abide by the FCS playoff schedule.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have the SWAC, MEAC, and Ivy champs in the playoffs but I'd rather see the focus put on making it a true national tournament with more seeds and less regionalization.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 12:56 PM
The FCS "tourney" doesn't need the Ivy, the MEAC or the SWAC, got too many teams in that playoff now, why add more teams that will lose in the first game.
Right - because everyone knows any organization is better off if 20% of the organization doesn’t participate.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 01:01 PM
There are probably ways to make it possible but the juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO and you risk alienating the conferences that do abide by the FCS playoff schedule.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have the SWAC, MEAC, and Ivy champs in the playoffs but I'd rather see the focus put on making it a true national tournament with more seeds and less regionalization.
Without 3 FCS Conferences participating, it’s not a “true national tournament,” no matter how you try to structure it to get more MVFC Teams in the field, and moving further along in the bracket. xnodx

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 01:01 PM

I much preferred the 2021 Spring playoffs with only 16 teams compared to the current 24 team playoffs. If we permanently went to a 16 team format, we could make it similar to the upcoming 12 team FBS format. Auto-bids for the 8 highest ranked conference champions and a guaranteed first round home game, and 8 at-large bids.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2022, 01:04 PM
Right - because everyone knows any organization is better off if 20% of the organization doesn’t participate.

They are choosing to not be "part of the organization". Other than an early exit most years, what is gained by having all 3 in the playoffs. We currently have 1-3 teams who wouldn't make the field were it not for an auto-bid. Do we really want to up it to 3-6 out of 24 having no realistic chance for more than 1 upset victory in round 1?

They make good money while being nowhere near a top 10 team. Good for them. Keep going. Like the abortion situation, someone else's decision has ZERO effect on what is going on in my sphere. Do what you feel is best for you. I don't criticize.

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 01:09 PM
Without 3 FCS Conferences participating, it’s not a “true national tournament,” no matter how you try to structure it to get more MVFC Teams in the field, and moving further along in the bracket. xnodx

I think the 3 conferences that don't praticipate are welcome to if they want to. They all choose not to participate, thus I think it is a true national championship.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 01:10 PM
They are choosing to not be "part of the organization". Other than an early exit most years, what is gained by having all 3 in the playoffs. We currently have 1-3 teams who wouldn't make the field were it not for an auto-bid. Do we really want to up it to 3-6 out of 24 having no realistic chance for more than 1 upset victory in round 1?

They make good money while being nowhere near a top 10 team. Good for them. Keep going. Like the abortion situation, someone else's decision has ZERO effect on what is going on in my sphere. Do what you feel is best for you. I don't criticize.
Having the HBCU’s and the Ivies in the Subdivision and not having them participate in the Subdivision Championship greatly impairs the credibility and relevance of the Subdivision, as well as limiting opportunities for enhanced media coverage and other growth opportunities. If you don’t understand that almost intuitively, FUBeAR ain’t really gonna be able to help you… and he knows he won’t convince you. College Football today is about way more than who might or might not win a game.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2022, 01:16 PM
Having the HBCU’s and the Ivies in the Subdivision and not having them participate in the Subdivision Championship greatly impairs the credibility and relevance of the Subdivision, as well as limiting opportunities for enhanced media coverage and other growth opportunities. If you don’t understand that almost intuitively, FUBeAR ain’t really gonna be able to help you… and he knows he won’t convince you. College Football today is about way more than who might or might not win a game.

I'm not arguing about "enhanced media or other growth opportunities". They are welcome to play with us. They want to take their ball and play with each other. More power to them. I simply... do not give a single **** if they play or not. But I do know that the teams they've been fielding...... whoever wins the FCS championship game in Frisco is absolutely the real FCS champion. Not one with an asterisk because Jackson, et al, didn't get beat along the way.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 01:17 PM
I think the 3 conferences that don't praticipate are welcome to if they want to. They all choose not to participate, thus I think it is a true national championship.
You’re free to think that. Doesn’t make it true.

20% of the Teams in the Subdivision located in 20 different states and the District of Columbia do not participate in what you “think” is a true National Championship.

SeattleCat
November 2nd, 2022, 01:30 PM
... why?

Because "Coach Prime" wouldn't make it through the first round.

SeattleCat
November 2nd, 2022, 01:32 PM

you've clearly have never been to Cat/griz. Nothing in FCS rivals Cat/griz.

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2022, 02:15 PM
I much preferred the 2021 Spring playoffs with only 16 teams compared to the current 24 team playoffs. If we permanently went to a 16 team format, we could make it similar to the upcoming 12 team FBS format. Auto-bids for the 8 highest ranked conference champions and a guaranteed first round home game, and 8 at-large bids.

This will never happen because our playoff is run by the NCAA. NCAA playoffs stipulate that all qualifying conferences must receive an auto-bid AND that the number of at-large bids MUST be equal to or greater to the number of auto-bids.

In fact, if the Ivy, MEAC and SWAC all took an auto-bid, you'd be looking at the field expanding to a minimum of 26 teams for the time being.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2022, 02:24 PM
This will never happen because our playoff is run by the NCAA. NCAA playoffs stipulate that all qualifying conferences must receive an auto-bid AND that the number of at-large bids MUST be equal to or greater to the number of auto-bids.

In fact, if the Ivy, MEAC and SWAC all took an auto-bid, you'd be looking at the field expanding to a minimum of 26 teams for the time being.

I was going to post this minimum, but then second guessed whether I knew what I was talking about or just making **** up! xlolxxdrunkyx

unknown-swac
November 2nd, 2022, 02:43 PM
Why? Because no one cares about the fcs playoffs, basically. Why are all of the good teams leaving to go play in "irrelevant" bowl games? lol. I don't get how it's so hard to comprehend. App, Georgia Southern, JMU and SHSU were all good and still left.

unknown-swac
November 2nd, 2022, 02:45 PM

And still garners the most attention in FCS. That's got to sting. I wonder how many folks even know SDSU has a team.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Why? Because no one cares about the fcs playoffs, basically. Why are all of the good teams leaving to go play in "irrelevant" bowl games? lol. I don't get how it's so hard to comprehend. App, Georgia Southern, JMU and SHSU were all good and still left.
Because it’s the higher level of football? Why did Lindenwood and TAMU-Commerce move up to the FCS? It’s natural to move up to the higher level where there’s more money and exposure.

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2022, 03:21 PM
We spend way too much time discussing programs that aren’t really FCS. If you choose not to participate in the playoffs, you’re not really a part of the football championship subdivision. Maybe technically but not in reality.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2022, 03:25 PM

When a league stretches from southern California and Florida, to New York and random pockets across the midwest...that feels like a bunch of misfits to me. They're playing Division 1 football largely in name only. As we see every year, a handful of good Division 2 programs beat PFL teams. Of course, the one or two teams at the top of the league can hang with a good chunk of the FCS, but just about everyone else can't.

Ivy League football would trounce the PFL.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 03:51 PM
And still garners the most attention in FCS. That's got to sting. I wonder how many folks even know SDSU has a team.
Yes because I’m sure the average CFB fan knows who any of the teams in the Celebration Bowl are. Grambling, NC Central, NC A&T, and SC State are truly household names amongst casual CFB fans. NC A&T won four Celebration Bowls in five years and got no attention. We garnered far more press coverage for that debacle of a game against Iowa than any HBCU not named Jackson State could ever dream of. We also hosted GameDay in 2019, and our MBB and WBB regularly get media coverage during tournament time. Have fun with your little participation bowl, maybe you can get a better winner than a 6-5 SC State that couldn’t even beat New Mexico State.

Preferred Walk-On
November 2nd, 2022, 04:16 PM
Yes because I’m sure the average CFB fan knows who any of the teams in the Celebration Bowl are. Grambling, NC Central, NC A&T, and SC State are truly household names amongst casual CFB fans. NC A&T won four Celebration Bowls in five years and got no attention. We garnered far more press coverage for that debacle of a game against Iowa than any HBCU not named Jackson State could ever dream of. We also hosted GameDay in 2019, and our MBB and WBB regularly get media coverage during tournament time. Have fun with your little participation bowl, maybe you can get a better winner than a 6-5 SC State that couldn’t even beat New Mexico State.

Not trying to stir any pot here. Genuinely interested. Why did NC A&T join the Big South when they seem to have been making better bank in the MEAC? What was/were the thing(s) that influenced that decision?

Bisonoline
November 2nd, 2022, 04:35 PM

So you are saying that those teams didnt care about the playoffs because they moved uP? Are you really this simple minded?

FYI JS would not want any part of those teams. They would steal your lunch money and send you back to your momma to get more. The would kick the SWAC and the MEACs ass.

Bisonoline
November 2nd, 2022, 04:49 PM

The celebration bowl caters to a very narrow demographic that doesnt represent FCS fans as a whole. My bet is more fans know about SDSU than those that know about the celebration bowl.

With that being said enjoy your little niche. Im sure its a great show for those its intended for. For me as a football fanI would rather watch the 2 best teams in the FCS with 20K fans as opposed to watching 2 subpar teams in front of 60k fans.

Panther88
November 2nd, 2022, 05:15 PM
It's a rampant mental disease or some of your depends need to be changed lol.

Focus. -----> https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?314062-Playoffs-Top-8-Seeds

katss07
November 2nd, 2022, 05:50 PM
Good. The HBCU conferences are trash and water down the product. They have their place in D1, but it isn’t competing directly against actual teams.

Would be dumb to participate. Why do that to fans/alumni/the school? Would make no sense to turn down a trip to ATL and the CB payout to get blown out against “Southeastern Louisiana”.

taper
November 2nd, 2022, 05:59 PM

I've heard this point many times, but it simply isn't true. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT THAT AT-LARGES EQUAL OR EXCEED AUTO-BIDS. I'd appreciate if people would stop perpetuating that lie. For instance, NCAA Lacrosse has 10 autobids and 8 at large.

walliver
November 2nd, 2022, 06:55 PM
FCS is an unusual subdivision. It is defined more by what it is not than what it is. Basically it consists of schools with D-1 basketball that don’t meet FBS standards. There is no rational standard by which Stetson is at the same level as NDSU.

I enjoy the FCS playoffs, and hope we get back soon, but don’t really get excited once my team is out.

To be honest, I have never been to an away playoff game. I did buy a ticket to a game at Jacksonville State, but family issues came up at the last minute. It can be difficult for many of us to make football plans with only 6 day notice.

OhioHen
November 2nd, 2022, 07:04 PM
... why?

The reasons that the SWAC and MEAC teams prefer the Celebration Bowl have been well documented. It's more money, it's better exposure (with respect to the casual fan), there is tradition, etc., etc., etc.

The fact that Sanders gets that speaks well to his ability to know his audience.

Preferred Walk-On
November 2nd, 2022, 07:29 PM
The reasons that the SWAC and MEAC teams prefer the Celebration Bowl have been well documented. It's more money, it's better exposure (with respect to the casual fan), there is tradition, etc., etc., etc.

The fact that Sanders gets that speaks well to his ability to know his audience.

So you’re saying that Deion IS SWAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 2nd, 2022, 07:53 PM

Or, as I've mentioned many times when this issue comes up, they could just change the rule. No rule created by an organization is unchangeable by that same organization.

Bisonoline
November 2nd, 2022, 08:14 PM

Bingo

Panther88
November 2nd, 2022, 08:57 PM
Bingo

Bingo + 2: you humans are not the audience. Dohhhh. xlolx xreadx xlmaox

Bisonoline
November 2nd, 2022, 09:49 PM

Just think if you played better football we would be.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2022, 11:32 PM
Not trying to stir any pot here. Genuinely interested. Why did NC A&T join the Big South when they seem to have been making better bank in the MEAC? What was/were the thing(s) that influenced that decision?
I’m guessing it had to do with other sports. The MEAC is one of the worst conferences in D1 across all sports, the Big South isn’t great but it’s an upgrade. Maybe there’s other reasons as well, but I don’t think football is the reason. The move to the CAA will be a further upgrade as well.

CopperCat
November 3rd, 2022, 01:28 AM

It's good to have fun, but its way more fun to be good.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2022, 02:27 AM

A&T had concerns about travel in the MEAC even before their Celebration Bowl run. The decision to join the Big South was centered around the argument of a more compact conference and helping reduce student athlete time away from class; especially in the non-revenue sports. There were also disagreements about the direction of the MEAC, that the Aggies felt weren't being addressed.

The decision to join the CAA was based around joining like-minded institutional peers (R1 status); and the direction of the CAA towards a north-south alignment.

The move still bitterly divides the fanbase, but the donors drive decision making more than the casual fans. Eventually, A&T wants to position itself to move into FBS.

dgtw
November 3rd, 2022, 05:24 AM
The Ivy and the HBCUs not going to the playoffs doesn't negatively impact my life so I don't care.

Panther88
November 3rd, 2022, 07:25 AM
Just think if you played better football we would be.

Oh but nooooo!!!! Our brand satisfies us, its constintuents and supporters; it still gives a path to the nfl, if they so choose, as well.

What type of drug are you ingesting that would have you believe we would want to be physically near any of you people in any capacity? xconfusedx *vomiting in mouth*

I seriously don't understand why you humans have a comprehension issue to the fact that "no one cares about YOU, your irrelevant opinion, OR your puke school." And neither does the remainder of mainstream america. You are irrelevant. Obscure. Unpopular. Unsupported, even by your daddy ncaa. xlolx

Panther88
November 3rd, 2022, 07:36 AM
This is the "Prime Effect" at play.

Shouldn't you humans be discussing "fcs-playoffs" vs discussing entities which do not support your "fcs-playoff" direction? Common sense has to prevail at some point.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

OhioHen
November 3rd, 2022, 08:35 AM
You keep referring to the (in your opinion) great unwashed masses as "you humans." By corollary, that means you and your tribe are somehow NOT human. Are you advocating the previous unacceptable depiction of an entire race of people as "less than human" now?

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2022, 08:53 AM
A&T had concerns about travel in the MEAC even before their Celebration Bowl run. The decision to join the Big South was centered around the argument of a more compact conference and helping reduce student athlete time away from class; especially in the non-revenue sports. There were also disagreements about the direction of the MEAC, that the Aggies felt weren't being addressed.

The decision to join the CAA was based around joining like-minded institutional peers (R1 status); and the direction of the CAA towards a north-south alignment.

The move still bitterly divides the fanbase, but the donors drive decision making more than the casual fans. Eventually, A&T wants to position itself to move into FBS.

Well... If the side that loathed the Big South -> CAA move doesn't show up to this Norfolk State game on Saturday, they need to STFU.

Preferred Walk-On
November 3rd, 2022, 12:03 PM

I understand all of that, but would it not be possible for a SWAC/MEAC team to move into FBS from where they are at? Money, fans, location, bands, what is missing? Given this, why would moving to the Big South->CAA be better for this transition to the next division of football?

Also, spot-on on the donors comment.

Bisonoline
November 3rd, 2022, 01:21 PM
Oh but nooooo!!!! Our brand satisfies us, its constintuents and supporters; it still gives a path to the nfl, if they so choose, as well.

What type of drug are you ingesting that would have you believe we would want to be physically near any of you people in any capacity? xconfusedx *vomiting in mouth*

I seriously don't understand why you humans have a comprehension issue to the fact that "no one cares about YOU, your irrelevant opinion, OR your puke school." And neither does the remainder of mainstream america. You are irrelevant. Obscure. Unpopular. Unsupported, even by your daddy ncaa. xlolx

YOU are a very select entity unto yourself. So you speaking for a whole demographic I take with a grain of salt. Especially to the fact that you have such distain for those that are not you.

IOW the smoke you are blowing is going up your own ass.

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2022, 01:24 PM
I understand all of that, but would it not be possible for a SWAC/MEAC team to move into FBS from where they are at? Money, fans, location, bands, what is missing? Given this, why would moving to the Big South->CAA be better for this transition to the next division of football?

Also, spot-on on the donors comment.

It's entirely possible. IMHO, the issue is complex and deserves a thread of its own.

What I'll say is Chancellor Martin and AD Hilton have been seeking to leave the MEAC for years and now are where they want to school to be conference-wise. The CAA was always their number one choice and the future North/South alignment gave them an opportunity.

McNeese75
November 3rd, 2022, 01:54 PM
This is the "Prime Effect" at play.

Shouldn't you humans be discussing "fcs-playoffs" vs discussing entities which do not support your "fcs-playoff" direction? Common sense has to prevail at some point.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Dude is trolling hard these day. xrotatehx

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2022, 04:26 PM

This question deserves its own thread.

POD Knows
November 3rd, 2022, 04:37 PM
This question deserves its own thread.I think there was a thread on the NCAT deal, might need to search it and bump it.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Lots of thoughts in this thread, I'll share mine.

1) everyone saying JSU can't compete with the top tier in FCS don't seem to acknowledge how well sanders is recruiting. I don't think they'd beat NDSU, but they're slamming everyone on their schedule. Easily top 15.

2) the FCS playoffs is boring and not as entertaining as it was a decade ago because the field is so big, the probability of having cross country travel is so high, and the likelihood of having a home playoff game that isn't thanksgiving weekend is also high. Regardless of what you think the merits of who gets a bye or home field, the reality of the fan experience for most programs outside of a select few is: 1) losing bad to NDSU 2) playing a game with a sub par atmosphere because of Thanksgiving 3) having an away game that you have no hope of attending because it's so far away.

This IMO objectively sucks.

3) The FCS is defined by its scholarship limit, and that's pretty much it. This wasn't much of the case a decade or so ago.

4) What makes college football fun isn't national championships.

katss07
November 4th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that’s exactly what makes CFB fun though. National Championships.

MSUBobcat
November 4th, 2022, 12:59 PM

1) everyone saying JSU can't compete with the top tier in FCS don't seem to acknowledge how well sanders is recruiting. I don't think they'd beat NDSU, but they're slamming everyone on their schedule. Easily top 15.

2) the FCS playoffs is boring and not as entertaining as it was a decade ago because the field is so big, the probability of having cross country travel is so high, and the likelihood of having a home playoff game that isn't thanksgiving weekend is also high. Regardless of what you think the merits of who gets a bye or home field, the reality of the fan experience for most programs outside of a select few is: 1) losing bad to NDSU 2) playing a game with a sub par atmosphere because of Thanksgiving 3) having an away game that you have no hope of attending because it's so far away.

3) The FCS is defined by its scholarship limit, and that's pretty much it. This wasn't much of the case a decade or so ago.

1) A lot of teams in the top 20 would slam JSU schedule, including beating Campbell by more than 7 at home. If Sanders continues to recruit like he has, they will be a pretty good team though.

2) I'll concede that Thankgiving weekend games aren't optimal. The attendance of opposing fans isn't a concern however. One team outbid another, therefore they get homefield advantage. We all know the bid process isn't a fair way to do it, but it is what it is, so I don't feel bad that fans of a team that gets shipped across the country won't attend. It's not meant to be a neutral field.

(FYI, you can't say "in my opinion" and "objectively" in the same sentence. That doesn't make sense.)

4) That's like... your opinion, man. Winning a national championship is EXACTLY what makes football fun, IMO. That and rivalry games are the top 2 reasons. If you think CFB is fun because of how large a crowd it draws, you probably like NASCAR too.

Sader87
November 4th, 2022, 01:06 PM

I agree with just about all of this.....while it's been fun to be part of the playoffs the last few years, it really isn't the "be all and end all" from this fan's perspective imo.

The end of the year game against BC, that I grew up with and experienced as a student at HC, trumps the FCS playoffs in every way.

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2022, 01:07 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7a/08/d7/7a08d7da43bb022370f93704d752a653.gif

… which is why the FCS Playoff structure needs to change to FULL Regionalization (4 Regional Champions), avoid playing on T’Giving weekend, & somehow/someway create a “Final Four” / 3-in-1 “Bowl Games” (Semi’s & Championship - MAC Teams play on Tues/Sat ‘spreads,’ don’t they?) in a single, more-resort-like-than-Frisco location (Orlando, perhaps) sometime during the Xmas/New Year’s holiday timeframe.

Better experience for Fans, Players/Teams … and might make some money.

Of course, these ideas won’t be well-rec’d here because it doesn’t advance the 2 pronged goals (no…not “narrow-minded” and “short-sighted”…although those terms probably apply) of many people here and, perhaps, the goals of the Playoff Selection Committee - 1) getting fewer non-MVFC & non-Big Sky Teams in the Playoffs and 2) making sure MVFC & Big Sky Teams have enhanced opportunities to advance to the Semis and the Championship Game.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2022, 01:28 PM

....IFIN' FCS IS SUCH UH DRAG.....WHY YOU HERE....??....AWK?

taper
November 4th, 2022, 01:41 PM
I find it very interesting that fans of schools that either have been to the championship game or make deep runs think the playoffs are great, and schools with no chance or abstain think they don't need it. To put it another way, those that have experienced a thing love it, while those that haven't prefer to convince themselves they don't need it rather than feel left out. Feels like like petty children taking their ball and going home.

wapiti
November 4th, 2022, 01:50 PM

UNI and Villanova in ORV of the AGS poll would easily beat Jackson State @Jackson State

Jackson State is at best a top 35 team.
If JSU wants respect then up the SOS and that will require leaving the SWAC.

If JSU is so good at drawing a crowd then why not be in the playoffs and host a first round game? With that kind of attendance JSU should outbid anyone. It would be great to see the Griz play a first round game on the road.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2022, 02:40 PM
I find it very interesting that fans of schools that either have been to the championship game or make deep runs think the playoffs are great, and schools with no chance or abstain think they don't need it. To put it another way, those that have experienced a thing love it, while those that haven't prefer to convince themselves they don't need it rather than feel left out. Feels like like petty children taking their ball and going home.
Yep... although the same can be said for most team sports any of our school's teams play outside of football. With a few exceptions (like Villanova in basketball) no team from an FCS athletic department is winning national championships in non-football sports. In that case though I still don't get the notion that postseason tournaments don't matter because in all those sports teams still will compete for their conference championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in that respective sport. Depending on the pedigree of those teams, winning a game or three in the NCAA tourney for that respective sports is something you can/should strive for if a national championship is out of reach.

I'd expect the same from FCS teams who aren't realistic national title contenders and I'm pretty sure all the coaches/players feel that way. I remember for years the Pioneer and NEC wanted an automatic bid to the playoffs but weren't granted them when the field was 16 teams - do you think all those conference champs from 1986-2012 who didn't automatically qualify for the playoffs would've liked to compete in the IAA/FCS playoffs? I'd bet the vast majority, if not all of them, would've. I'd also bet that if the Ivy League players/coaches were honest they'd tell you they'd want to compete in the FCS playoffs if selected.

DFW HOYA
November 4th, 2022, 02:55 PM
I'd expect the same from FCS teams who aren't realistic national title contenders and I'm pretty sure all the coaches/players feel that way.

They don't decide, it's college presidents that do. The Ivy presidents (and by extension, the SWAC) see no value-add in a college playoff with negligible crowds and the certitude that only three or four schools are capable to win it, anyway.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2022, 03:08 PM
They don't decide, it's college presidents that do. The Ivy presidents (and by extension, the SWAC) see no value-add in a college playoff with negligible crowds and the certitude that only three or four schools are capable to win it, anyway.
I get that, I'm just saying it goes directly against the competitive nature most D1 athletes and coaches have. I think you're underexaggerating the number of teams with realistic title chances but I'll still take the model any day that allows you to play until you're beaten versus play until your school's president decides it's not financially or prestigiously beneficial to play on.

Preferred Walk-On
November 4th, 2022, 03:43 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7a/08/d7/7a08d7da43bb022370f93704d752a653.gif

… which is why the FCS Playoff structure needs to change to FULL Regionalization (4 Regional Champions), avoid playing on T’Giving weekend, & somehow/someway create a “Final Four” / 3-in-1 “Bowl Games” (Semi’s & Championship - MAC Teams play on Tues/Sat ‘spreads,’ don’t they?) in a single, more-resort-like-than-Frisco location (Orlando, perhaps) sometime during the Xmas/New Year’s holiday timeframe.

Better experience for Fans, Players/Teams … and might make some money.

Of course, these ideas won’t be well-rec’d here because it doesn’t advance the 2 pronged goals (no…not “narrow-minded” and “short-sighted”…although those terms probably apply) of many people here and, perhaps, the goals of the Playoff Selection Committee - 1) getting fewer non-MVFC & non-Big Sky Teams in the Playoffs and 2) making sure MVFC & Big Sky Teams have enhanced opportunities to advance to the Semis and the Championship Game.

FUBeAR, I cannot help reading this and thinking, "So the goal is to have greater potential for at least one of the teams going to Frisco to play for a national championship NOT being one of the two best teams." Is that the hope? Or do you plan on breaking down the regions a bit further than 3 eastern regions and one that is the entire region west of the Mississippi (I guess you really didn't define that, did you)?

If this is really your thought, then I suppose that we really should call it something other than a "playoff" or a "tournament" or road to the "national championship". It is really then just becomes a series of games to arrive at "Celebration Bowl II", but I'm sure FUBeAR will have your participation trophy in his Orlando? suite, right?

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2022, 03:50 PM
FUBeAR, I cannot help reading this and thinking, "So the goal is to have greater potential for at least one of the teams going to Frisco to play for a national championship NOT being one of the two best teams." Is that the hope? Or do you plan on breaking down the regions a bit further than 3 eastern regions and one that is the entire region west of the Mississippi (I guess you really didn't define that, did you)?

If this is really your thought, then I suppose that we really should call it something other than a "playoff" or a "tournament" or road to the "national championship". It is really then just becomes a series of games to arrive at "Celebration Bowl II", but I'm sure FUBeAR will have your participation trophy in his Orlando? suite, right?Were you going more for narrow-minded here or was short-sighted your main goal?

Either way, you are a WINNER!

JacksFan40
November 4th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Only a few teams are capable of winning the FBS as well, but I don’t imagine the G5 will turn down what will essentially be an auto-bid to the 12 team playoff whenever that happens.

Bisonoline
November 4th, 2022, 04:27 PM

You see this from the same east coasters every year here and the swac/meac pundits.

unknown-swac
November 4th, 2022, 05:58 PM

But they don't need it lol. Do I need to point how how many schools have abandoned the fcs playoffs for a bowl game again? Would Coastal or Liberty want to be back in the FCS playoffs right now? HELL NO.

unknown-swac
November 4th, 2022, 06:00 PM
UNI and Villanova in ORV of the AGS poll would easily beat Jackson State @Jackson State

Jackson State is at best a top 35 team.
If JSU wants respect then up the SOS and that will require leaving the SWAC.

If JSU is so good at drawing a crowd then why not be in the playoffs and host a first round game? With that kind of attendance JSU should outbid anyone. It would be great to see the Griz play a first round game on the road.

Because the fcs playoffs is a money loser when they can play in the celebration bowl instead and get a million dollar check? lol. Again, the laud for the fcs playoffs ends once you leave this board. I'd think that'd be obvious at this point considering teams keep leaving. Jacksonville State and SHSU are on their way out the door too. They opted for being in CUSA over the FCS playoffs. Matter of fact, why are we acting like half of NDSU's fans weren't on the CUSA board hoping for an invite a few months ago? All of those FCS championships aren't good enough? If they weren't in the middle of nowhere they'd already be FBS too.

Bisonoline
November 4th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Because the fcs playoffs is a money loser when they can play in the celebration bowl instead and get a million dollar check? lol. Again, the laud for the fcs playoffs ends once you leave this board. I'd think that'd be obvious at this point considering teams keep leaving. Jacksonville State and SHSU are on their way out the door too. They opted for being in CUSA over the FCS playoffs. Matter of fact, why are we acting like half of NDSU's fans weren't on the CUSA board hoping for an invite a few months ago? All of those FCS championships aren't good enough? If they weren't in the middle of nowhere they'd already be FBS too.

Try just stating facts instead of over the top hyperbole. As in 1/2 of NDSU fans were on a CUSA board. JFC You must be related to Hooty.

But we get what your deal is. You think playing for attendance is better than playing good competition and a shot at a national championship. Which I might add is funny because you have no chance at making the championship game so we also understand why you opt for a different path. Its like a person who loves steak but cant afford it. So then he starts trying to sell everyone on the virtues of chicken.

Bisonoline
November 4th, 2022, 06:34 PM
But they don't need it lol. Do I need to point how how many schools have abandoned the fcs playoffs for a bowl game again? Would Coastal or Liberty want to be back in the FCS playoffs right now? HELL NO.

And what does this have to do with JS?????

Preferred Walk-On
November 4th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Were you going more for narrow-minded here or was short-sighted your main goal?

Either way, you are a WINNER!

Deflection. Love it. For someone that has a lot of opinions, you sure fell short here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelSD
November 5th, 2022, 06:47 PM
And you’re saying those same teams would turn down a playoff bid at the FBS level to instead play in a low level bowl game? We all know they wouldn’t. Get real…

Bisonoline
November 5th, 2022, 10:49 PM
And you’re saying those same teams would turn down a playoff bid at the FBS level to instead play in a low level bowl game? We all know they wouldn’t. Get real…

Its all strawman. Its all he has.

MSUBobcat
November 6th, 2022, 10:08 AM

I think you severely overstate the importance of the $1M paycheck vs hosting playoff games for a lot of the FCS schools that draw well. We sell out playoff games pretty easily. Between ticket sales and concessions, it's a decent payday for MSU. Hopefully get a 2nd, or even 3rd, playoff game if seeded high enough or chips fall in your favor, and $1M paycheck doesn't seem so large. Especially not for a school like Jackson St. that gets more than 2x that regularly.

Another financial aspect that you ignore is what a boon it can be to the local economy. Last December's playoff game in Bozeman was estimated to bring $4.5-5M into the community, during a low time for tourism. MSU hosted 2 games. Celebration Bowl brings tourism to Atlanta.

JacksFan40
November 6th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Those teams abandoned the FCS because it’s far more profitable to be FBS in general. They get more national coverage, bigger conference payouts, and even more money from the P5 money games. The bowl games are also lucrative. It’s the higher level, of course they’re going to want up. Why do D2 teams move to D1? Why do NAIA teams join the NCAA? Because it’s the higher level, meaning more money. The G5 teams do want a playoff though, hence why they’re pushing for a G5 auto-bid in the expanded playoffs.

Bisonoline
November 6th, 2022, 09:32 PM

Explain to me where in your posts do you address the fact that JS plays a mediocre brand of football. Which was my point from the beginning. You keep dancing around what everybody seems to know. Before you ramble off with the hyperbole here is a fact to chew on. Just because its the celebration bowl that has good attendance, those facts have nothing to do with with the poor football being played. .

bonarae
November 10th, 2022, 09:23 PM
Coach Prime wants to step up by lobbying his Tigers to be invited to an FBS Bowl Game...

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/10/deion-sanders-lobbies-jackson-state-receive-fbs-bowl-berth

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Coach Prime wants to step up by lobbying his Tigers to be invited to an FBS Bowl Game...

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/10/deion-sanders-lobbies-jackson-state-receive-fbs-bowl-berth…just an interim step. As FUBeAR opined mid-December of 2021 in the “Travis Hunter” thread…

”JSU, and other smart HBCU’s, will keep building their treasure troves provided by ESPN & other sponsors to (legally, by current NCAA ‘rules’) buy the best HS & Transfer Players, meanwhile seeking access to, and inclusion in the CFP. That will happen within 5 years.

They are playing 3D chess and the rest of FCS is playing tic-tac-toe with chalk on their driveways.”

Panther88
November 11th, 2022, 06:02 PM
…just an interim step. As FUBeAR opined mid-December of 2021 in the “Travis Hunter” thread…

”JSU, and other smart HBCU’s, will keep building their treasure troves provided by ESPN & other sponsors to (legally, by current NCAA ‘rules’) buy the best HS & Transfer Players, meanwhile seeking access to, and inclusion in the CFP. That will happen within 5 years.

They are playing 3D chess and the rest of FCS is playing tic-tac-toe with chalk on their driveways.”

I don't think the rest of fcs is playing a primitive game but rather the rest of fcs is participating in something which is now a traditional goto w/ no ROI but does include $$$ to spend as a participation hosting site: playoffs.

Bowl game discussions have been discussed here, for whatever ungodly reason. On sites where bowl gamers have interest, there is no talk of fcs playoffs lol. Who side-eyes who?

GAD
November 12th, 2022, 12:00 PM

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/10/deion-sanders-lobbies-jackson-state-receive-fbs-bowl-berth
Can't happen the NCAA does not allow post season contest between teams from different division, also to qualify for an FBS bowl a team must have 6 FBS wins or be an FBS conference champion.