PDA

View Full Version : (5-3) Youngstown State @ (5-3) Illinois State

BeamMeUp
November 1st, 2022, 07:42 PM
After a 2-year hiatus due to the way the conference schedule shook out the past few years, the battle of the birds returns for 2022. Illinois State leads this tight series 15-14 over the Penguins.

With the MVFC being down this year, this game is critical for each team if they want to make the playoffs. Win and you still control your own destiny. Lose and the best you can do is 7-4 which may not be good enough this year.

Go YSU!

Redbird 4th & short
November 2nd, 2022, 11:29 AM
After a 2-year hiatus due to the way the conference schedule shook out the past few years, the battle of the birds returns for 2022. Illinois State leads this tight series 15-14 over the Penguins.

With the MVFC being down this year, this game is critical for each team if they want to make the playoffs. Win and you still control your own destiny. Lose and the best you can do is 7-4 which may not be good enough this year.

Go YSU!

Fact check ... only one of these Birds can fly, and will prove so this Saturday !!! xdrunkyx

Youre 1000% correct about how big this game is for both teams chances of making playoffs. We're an improving team overall, but our struggling run game can't catch a break .. we lost stud RB Cole Mueller on first series against Wisconsin in opener when DL fell on his leg. Then our next stud RB Wenkers Wright 36 carries, 170 yards against ISUb) has been nursing some nagging injuries all year .. he left NDSU game after 1 carry. We thought we had more RB depth, but just don't have a great 3rd option. Mueller is out for season, Wright is week to week .. we think. And looks like your run defense is pretty strong, so we will really need a health Wenkers Wright .. he can play if/when healthy.

So we usually depend a whole lot on our pass game ... which is not something we've heard or said around Normal, IL for many years. QB Annexstad is pretty good - better than his numbers might suggest with our slow start on offense .. and we like our new OC. Though we're still not real consistent there either. Mainly because we had zero established WRs but now starting to see some WRs emerge finally. We do have 2 good TEs .. 41 catches for 380 yards combined after 8 games is something we've never seen here. Most Redbird fans have always assumed TE stood for Tackle Eligible .. not any more !!

Lastly, our defense has come together overall and is fairly stout ... decent size and athleticism at all 3 levels. Yours looks tough as well. We'll see how well we do containing your stud RB. I think it will be our slowly improving pass game against your run game, as both defenses look very solid. If our RB Wright is healthy, I like our chances at Home a whole lot more. If not, this will be grinder for sure.

Paladin1aa
November 2nd, 2022, 06:58 PM
I’m nervous with this game. On the road, decent D team and they love to throw the ball. YSU has not been a good road team, struggles against good Ds and have problems defending the pass. I’ll throw in YSU has been playing a very weak schedule recently struggling with basement teams . They will finish the season with teams not in the basement. Massey and Sagarin has ISUr rated higher than the Guins too.

This could be a Waterloo weekend.

BeamMeUp
November 2nd, 2022, 09:10 PM
h/t to peteonastick on YSU board:
@NWSLincolnIL: Breezy conditions are expected Thursday through Saturday. Winds will be strongest on Saturday, when southwest wind gusts could exceed 40 mph. The strong wind gusts on Saturday may lead to travel difficulties for high-profile vehicles, especially on I-74. #ILwx

Wouldn't want to be on the plane heading back with those kind of winds. Wonder how that impacts the playcalling.

Paladin1aa
November 3rd, 2022, 10:12 AM
The Trib came out with their pick today. They have YSU winning 17-14 in a defensive showdown. I would tend to agree but just don’t have a good feel for this game. YSU had 4 starters out for the South Dakota game and the Yotes were a bad team. Those starters may still be out. The Birds are not a poor team or in the MVFCs basement. They might make the playoffs. I think chances are good for a low scoring game and with heavy winds forecast, it will play havoc with kicking game and maybe passing. The competition increases and it’s on the road. I’m calling it Birds. 21-17.

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2022, 12:22 PM
IMHO, Illinois State needs this game way more than Youngstown State, as they have SDSU the week after.

Redbird 4th & short
November 3rd, 2022, 02:56 PM
IMHO, Illinois State needs this game way more than Youngstown State, as they have SDSU the week after.
good point .. YSU only had to play NDSU of the top 2 in MVFC.

That aside, one of our games is WIU ... so we have an easy one (in theory), and YSU has no easy games left. Though MoST has been surprisingly unimpressive this year, I wouldn't say they are easy.

Our last 3 are .. YSU-H, SDSU-A, and WIU-H

YSU last 3 are .. ISUr-A, MoST-A, and SIU-H

BeamMeUp
November 3rd, 2022, 06:52 PM
With ILSU having a strong defense and the winds expected to be quite strong, I expect this to be a low scoring affair. ILSU doesn't seem to have a strong rushing attack and I am not so sure their passing attack, when you factor in the winds, will be nearly as potent as it would on a normal (no pun intended) day. This game is going to come down to turnovers, penalties, and special teams. Field position is going to be key, especially if a FG becomes the deciding factor.

I feel like 17-14 is the right score for this one. Heart says YSU, head says ILSU being it is at home. IF YSU finds a way to win it, our excellent kicker Colt McFadden will be the reason.

Go YSU!

Paladin1aa
November 3rd, 2022, 08:20 PM
I hope I’m wrong but most don’t know Davidson was a walkon QB at YSU and had been a career backup almost all his career. While he has looked good against basement teams in the MVFC, he has his flaws . A heavy wind day may show those flaws in spades and a bad QB day would allow the Birds to load the box for Jaleel. TheBirds QB is mobile and can cause our D problems. The team with the best QB and D will win this game. It should be close.

Redbird 4th & short
November 4th, 2022, 07:01 AM
The Trib came out with their pick today. They have YSU winning 17-14 in a defensive showdown. I would tend to agree but just don’t have a good feel for this game. YSU had 4 starters out for the South Dakota game and the Yotes were a bad team. Those starters may still be out. The Birds are not a poor team or in the MVFCs basement. They might make the playoffs. I think chances are good for a low scoring game and with heavy winds forecast, it will play havoc with kicking game and maybe passing. The competition increases and it’s on the road. I’m calling it Birds. 21-17.

Yep, the winds will be big factor, possible rain too. Forecast is 25-27 mph sustained with gusts from 35 to 50 mph. We're really going to need a healthy RB Wenkers Wright tomorrow. He's a very good one but has been nursing injuries all season or you would be hearing much more about him. Broke out against ISUb with 36 carries for 170 yards. But left NDSU game after 1 carry. We already lost original starter Cole Mueller, and we haven't seen anyone else step up as yet. Our QB will handle the wind ok, and is good in the pocket. But does have a tendency to try to thread needles ... not a good idea on a windy day. That all said, the winds will favor your run game moreso that it will also favor our pass game comparing QBs and RBs. But Spack defenses are pretty good about containing offenses if they become one dimensional given forecasted winds .. very strong gap discipline. But I know your guy is a stud.

Last factor is how conservative Spack will go early in 2nd half if we have a lead ... it's one of his weaknesses that drives me nuts some games. But it may work against this YSU team on a very windy day if your QB play struggles a lot with the wind. He'll take his chances on his defense containing your RB and winning a low scoring game. And his offense will go into prevent .. meaning, play not to lose by eliminating all risk of turnovers .. it gets very claustrophobic watching this offense when he does this. Then it will become a game of field position. This is why we really need a healthy RB Wenkers Wright this game.

crusader11
November 4th, 2022, 07:48 AM
Really looking forward to this game.

Playoffs start this weekend for these two.

penguinpower
November 4th, 2022, 08:05 AM
This is could be a game of the week candidate.

penguinpower
November 4th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Problem is that while it is, both teams are ranked too low and have zero chance at a title.

Redbird 4th & short
November 4th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Problem is that while it is, both teams are ranked too low and have zero chance at a title.

playoffs are still playoffs .. a chance to play another game and see how good you are. We went into 2019 playoffs as the last team in after our QB went down and we struggle the last 2 games .. in fact, lost to you guys the last game. So we barely make playoffs ... then we blew out #13 SEMO at their place. Beat #9 UCA easily at their place. And gave #1 NDSU their toughest game of the 2019 playoffs, losing 9-3 .. all without a QB - I think we threw about 30 total passes those 3 games combined.

And I seem to recall YSU making a very nice unexpected run in 2016 ranked about 13th or so going into playoffs, and making it championship. This is the MVFC ... we beat the crap out of each other all season, then kill it in playoffs. I'm ok with having near zil chance of going far in playoffs. And I recall how down we were after losing to you in 2019, thinking we deserved a bid but had no chance of making any noise. But then we played get outside the MVFC and play two highly ranked teams on the road. We were expected to lose both games and we squashed them.

So I'll take a bid proudly ... even if were last in.

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Which Birds Pally? Flightless or Redbirds?

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2022, 06:52 PM
Yep, the winds will be big factor, possible rain too. Forecast is 25-27 mph sustained with gusts from 35 to 50 mph. We're really going to need a healthy RB Wenkers Wright tomorrow. He's a very good one but has been nursing injuries all season or you would be hearing much more about him. Broke out against ISUb with 36 carries for 170 yards. But left NDSU game after 1 carry. We already lost original starter Cole Mueller, and we haven't seen anyone else step up as yet. Our QB will handle the wind ok, and is good in the pocket. But does have a tendency to try to thread needles ... not a good idea on a windy day. That all said, the winds will favor your run game moreso that it will also favor our pass game comparing QBs and RBs. But Spack defenses are pretty good about containing offenses if they become one dimensional given forecasted winds .. very strong gap discipline. But I know your guy is a stud.

Last factor is how conservative Spack will go early in 2nd half if we have a lead ... it's one of his weaknesses that drives me nuts some games. But it may work against this YSU team on a very windy day if your QB play struggles a lot with the wind. He'll take his chances on his defense containing your RB and winning a low scoring game. And his offense will go into prevent .. meaning, play not to lose by eliminating all risk of turnovers .. it gets very claustrophobic watching this offense when he does this. Then it will become a game of field position. This is why we really need a healthy RB Wenkers Wright this game.

Any update on whether or not Wenkers is looking healthy enough to play?

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2022, 06:57 PM
Which Birds Pally? Flightless or Redbirds?

LOL. Redbirds.

YSU will be underdogs in these last 3 games.

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2022, 06:59 PM
I figured you meant Redbirds tbh xlolx.

I agree with YSU being underdogs for this game and the last one, but depending on how this week goes I would argue that next week against Missouri State we might be a slight favorite...

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2022, 08:02 PM
I figured you meant Redbirds tbh xlolx.

I agree with YSU being underdogs for this game and the last one, but depending on how this week goes I would argue that next week against Missouri State we might be a slight favorite...

The problem with your thinking , Yo, is MoST has played a ball buster schedule , including both SDSU and UNI who we have avoided. They just played WIU who they destroyed 64-14. You do remember our game with the Necks ? And the game is there, on the road. You may want to rethink that, Pilgrim. Add in a decent mobile QB, loaded with transfers and veteran coach. Don’t bet the rent money on the game, 😂

BeamMeUp
November 4th, 2022, 08:14 PM
https://media.tenor.com/XOuzKjwmbVUAAAAC/lets-focus-charles-haden-savage.gif

Beat Redbirds!

Redbird 4th & short
November 5th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Any update on whether or not Wenkers is looking healthy enough to play?
Just got word hes doing much better this week heading into game than he was last week. And that was why they pulled him after 1 carry last week. So the main concern this week is if rain is a factor .. guessing that will determine his reps. Though today is do or die for playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2022, 11:25 AM
I have a close eye on this one! I would love to see YSU earn their way into the playoffs. FCS football needs a program of their historical stature to be formidable again given all the defections to FBS the last 10 years. Plus, as a former Austintown resident I always root for schools from Northeast Ohio!

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 12:48 PM
I’m watching the Ohio St -Northwestern game. High winds and rain are playing havoc in Illinois. Passing and kicking are both badly affected.

Game at ISUr could be a wild one.

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 01:33 PM
The problem with your thinking , Yo, is MoST has played a ball buster schedule , including both SDSU and UNI who we have avoided. They just played WIU who they destroyed 64-14. You do remember our game with the Necks ? And the game is there, on the road. You may want to rethink that, Pilgrim. Add in a decent mobile QB, loaded with transfers and veteran coach. Don’t bet the rent money on the game, 😂

Will wait to see how this ends, and will focus on the Illinois state game, but you may want to rethink this. SD is beating mo st right now.

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 02:29 PM
Well this is gonna be an interesting game. That wind is crazy

BeamMeUp
November 5th, 2022, 02:42 PM
10-7 ILSU end of 1st quarter.

YSU converted another 4th down at midfield and is now driving into ILSU territory with the wind at their back into the 2nd quarter.

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 02:49 PM
YSU FG

10 all

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Injury to Davidson... This could bode very poorly for the guins

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 03:07 PM
Wow... That is a huge mistake

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Glad to see Davidson back in... Hope he is ok then

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Half

ISUr. 17-13

BeamMeUp
November 5th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Not too often do games go according to plan, but this one seems to be through the first half. Maybe a bit more offense than I anticipated, but this has the makings of a fantastic finish. Getting Mitch back out there for the 2nd half is huge for YSU! Great seeing back out there on the last drive.

Redbirds 17
Penguins 13
Halftime

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 03:53 PM
I'm so confused... Didn't Illinois state defer to the second half? How did ysu get the first possession of the second half?

BeamMeUp
November 5th, 2022, 03:56 PM
I'm so confused... Didn't Illinois state defer to the second half? How did ysu get the first possession of the second half?

Based on the wind issues, perhaps they picked wind direction to start game as opposed to kicking/receiving? Rarely see it but can understand why.

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Based on the wind issues, perhaps they picked wind direction to start game as opposed to kicking/receiving? Rarely see it but can understand why.

Beam I agree, but the announcers said they deferred. Lol. Announcers can be wrong though

Redbird 4th & short
November 5th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Our starting QB Annexstad is out .. shoulder injury from NDSU. This is backup seeing his first reps in college.

mvfcfan
November 5th, 2022, 05:06 PM
Redbirds trying to blow it.

mvfcfan
November 5th, 2022, 05:11 PM
TD Penguins!!! With just 5 seconds to go!

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Illinois St OL Bryson Deming gifted YSU an extra 40 seconds or so on that game winning drive. He had a holding call on the 2nd down of Illinois St's last drive that YSU declined but it stopped the clock allowing YSU to preserve over a minute on the clock for their game winning drive and they needed every bit of it.

mvfcfan
November 5th, 2022, 05:14 PM
I'd just take a knee here.

- - - Updated - - -

YSU tried to go for 2 with McLoughlin. Failed so it's still 19-17 YSU.

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 05:15 PM
YSU wins. 19-17

Crazy game

BeamMeUp
November 5th, 2022, 05:15 PM
YOUNGSTOWN STATE WINS!!!

mvfcfan
November 5th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Final 19-17 YSU

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2022, 05:21 PM
This team fights! No lead until the 4th quarter near end of game. Reminds me of tressel teams winning in 4th quarter.

Anyway great game great effort on both sides.
I stand by my statement ysu should be favored (even if only slightly) next week against Missouri State

Redbird 4th & short
November 5th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Orher than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play ?

Well thst sucked .. congratsbto Penguins !!

penguinpower
November 5th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Not too often do games go according to plan, but this one seems to be through the first half. Maybe a bit more offense than I anticipated, but this has the makings of a fantastic finish. Getting Mitch back out there for the 2nd half is huge for YSU! Great seeing back out there on the last drive.

Redbirds 17
Penguins 13
Halftime

You called it. Best call of the day

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 07:42 PM
They have definitely overachieved. Combo of reasons but at 6-3 with 2 games to go, here are the reasons-

1. they benched their starting QB and have some success with a walkon QB

2. The D should get some credit , even with serious weakness at CBs

3. they have played a light weight schedule and caught some big breaks in games late

4. none of this happens without their All American RB McLaughlin who produces without blocking

5. the influx of transfers from the portal are playing big

But at 6-3, it is what it is

penguinpower
November 5th, 2022, 08:40 PM
They have definitely overachieved. Combo of reasons but at 6-3 with 2 games to go, here are the reasons-

1. they benched their starting QB and have some success with a walkon QB

2. The D should get some credit , even with serious weakness at CBs

3. they have played a light weight schedule and caught some big breaks in games late

4. none of this happens without their All American RB McLaughlin who produces without blocking

5. the influx of transfers from the portal are playing big

But at 6-3, it is what it is

Agreed. They've also owned the 4th quarter against most teams. As you said they had a monster recruiting class. A few more and the high school principal will not be slandered. I think they are over achieving. They are getting better. I told my father-in-law not to turn it off with 2 minutes to play. I was confident we would make a game of it regardless of the outcome and they did. They made big plays late as they've been doing in many games this year. Are we contenders, no. But we aren't in the bottom of the conference. We are better and your insight in recruiting was spot on.

penguinpower
November 5th, 2022, 08:41 PM
They need 2 more classes and we will be contenders. Need to fix those corners first, and get another RB

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2022, 09:18 PM
Agreed. They've also owned the 4th quarter against most teams. As you said they had a monster recruiting class. A few more and the high school principal will not be slandered. I think they are over achieving. They are getting better. I told my father-in-law not to turn it off with 2 minutes to play. I was confident we would make a game of it regardless of the outcome and they did. They made big plays late as they've been doing in many games this year. Are we contenders, no. But we aren't in the bottom of the conference. We are better and your insight in recruiting was spot on.

I agree, we are better. However, no one should be over exuberant. The collective record of the 4 MVFC teams we have beaten is 9-27.

This is a bad year for the Valley.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2022, 12:56 AM
Congrats 'Guins! Heck yeah!!

BeamMeUp
November 6th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Walk-on or not, Mitch Davidson is now 84 of 140 on the year (60%) for 1,228 yards. He has 10 touchdowns and just 1 interception. Just like in 2016 when the staff had to start Hunter Wells midway through the season to jumpstart the offense , this staff made the right decision giving Mitch a shot. When you have an elite RB, having just an average passing game goes a long way. Defenses are forced to pay attention to our passing game, which was nonexistent with Crenshaw at QB. As a result, it takes the pressure off Jaleel and the running game to carry us to victory.

Penguin Nation
November 8th, 2022, 01:39 PM
Don’t insult Mitch like that. Mitch reminds me of Ricky Davis and not Wells (otherwise known as #pick6). In addition to throwing passes to the wrong team, Wells was the guy who’d take a safe slide in lieu of gaining TDs or first downs. He was limited by zero ability to leave the (safety of the) pocket, and had negative rushing yards nearly every game.

2016 had the legendary DEs, one of which was the Patriots first draft pick, that were instrumental in getting Wolf’s players to the natty. That, and a dream bracket and the most freakish breaks that occur every kazillion years. Wells was benched due to poor performance and threatened to leave for D2 (cover story was an injury). Davis was then injured and began to struggle, and Bozo capitulated to Wells’ threats and started him (the #3 QB…prolly the most entertaining QB to watch ever….also was injured at UNi with a broken clavicle).