PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern FB facing the axe?

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Football: Students react to possible cuts
Chris Estrada
Issue date: 10/22/07

With the revelation that Athletics Director Peter Roby is considering restructuring Northeastern athletics and making potential program cuts, new fuel has been added to rumors that the football program would be the first to go...

More at:
http://media.www.nu-news.com/media/storage/paper600/news/2007/10/22/Sports/Football.Students.React.To.Possible.Cuts-3055936.shtml

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
October 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM
If that happens, then I wonder what would happen when ODU joins because the numbers would be back to 12. Would the CAA move Villanova or Delaware into the "North" region? But then that gets rid of a lot of rivalry games.

Could be interesting...

Dane96
October 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
This has legs.

DB_Atlantic10
October 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Man, it must suck to be a NE football player... Just reading this article tells me that those students would get more upset if they were to remove the Local Starbucks vice the football team. What a bunch of stuck up intellectual snobs!!! And yes, this is coming from a W&M Grad....xnonono2x

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Oh, it definitely has legs. I've been hearing similar rumblings from an NU alumn & former player for years.

However, I do wonder if people in and around the NU FB program aren't using this threat as leverage to get additional support for the FB stadium project. If so, they may be playing a dangerous game. In any case, it wouldn't be the first time this kind of tactic has been employed by a university (see Temple, Tulane, SMU, etc.)

http://media.www.nu-news.com/media/storage/paper600/news/2007/10/22/News/Despite.Funding.Stadium.Stalled-3056293.shtml

These stories are going to absolutely kill NU recruiting efforts.

GannonFan
October 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Not a shocking story at all - you always wonder how they make that program work at all up there - the fact that they are as competitive as they are is truly amazing considering the hurdles to overcome. Especially considering the path that Boston University took, this wouldn't be a jaw dropper. It would be a sad day for all involved, though.

terrierbob
October 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Maybe they don't deserve a FB program with that attitude. I feel for the players.

ChickenMan
October 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM
If that happens, then I wonder what would happen when ODU joins because the numbers would be back to 12. Would the CAA move Villanova or Delaware into the "North" region? But then that gets rid of a lot of rivalry games.

Could be interesting...

Can't break up the UD/Nova rivalry.. send the newbie.. Towson to the North..

Pageoner
October 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
football in new england is horrible
Pats fans are the worst...of all time.
BC is number two in the nation
and NOBODY cares....

andy7171
October 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Can't break up the UD/Nova rivalry.. send the newbie.. Towson to the North..

I was just about to say that. Geographically we are the Southern most of the three, but in terms of the entire conference, it's not that big of a difference. I can't see the CAA breaking up Delaware-Villanova. It would suck not playing Delaware and JMU every year though.

Horrible news about Northeastern. I can't say I'm suprised though.

GannonFan
October 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
They won't break up the UD/nova connection - heck, nova would be pissed galore if they had it broken up and were stuck playing the CAA North every year - a lot of their fans don't even like the CAA as it is, let alone playing all the New England schools every year, schools they feel they have no ties to.

You almost need to keep UD, nova, and even Towson together, since Towson has a good history with Delaware. With ODU and Georgia State coming on board, and maybe with NU leaving, there could be reshuffling that has to happen.

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM
George Mason might have something to say about division realignment in the Association before all is said and done.

bluehenbillk
October 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Wait a minute, no more Parsons Field???

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm sure that would break your heart, Bill.xsmiley_wix

BTW, aside from UD, VU's most-played rivals are W&M and UR. It's unlikely they would ever not be paired with those schools in a division.

GannonFan
October 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
George Mason might have something to say about division realignment in the Association before all is said and done.

I was thinking the same thing when I thought about where UD/nova/Towson go. A 3rd team in the mix, like George Mason, could influence things a lot.

Wasn't there interest (maybe even mutual) between the CAA and Albany in the past?

Ruler 79
October 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Yes to Albany! Soory NE. This is probably why they didn't leave for The Big South!

danefan
October 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I thought about where UD/nova/Towson go. A 3rd team in the mix, like George Mason, could influence things a lot.

Wasn't there interest (maybe even mutual) between the CAA and Albany in the past?

Yes. This may be the opening Albany needs, although at the demise of another program would be a little bitter sweet.

aceinthehole
October 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
They won't break up the UD/nova connection - heck, nova would be pissed galore if they had it broken up and were stuck playing the CAA North every year - a lot of their fans don't even like the CAA as it is, let alone playing all the New England schools every year, schools they feel they have no ties to.

You almost need to keep UD, nova, and even Towson together, since Towson has a good history with Delaware. With ODU and Georgia State coming on board, and maybe with NU leaving, there could be reshuffling that has to happen.

GF - I'm playing devils advocate here, but man you guys certainly don't make the NE-4 feel very welcome and needed.

So UD's priority is 'Nova, Towson, and the CAA South. 'Nova doesn't want to play the North. W&M, JMU, and Richmond have no real rivalries with the North. It really sounds like the northern outposts are more of a burden. Seems most team just rather scheule UMass and UNH as a non-conference matchup.

So bottom line why does the CAA need/want UMass, UNH, Maine, and URI to stay in the CAA? And on the flip side, why doesn't the NE-4 move now to start their own conference so they can have some control over membership, rivalries, schedules, TV, etc?

I really hope NU doesn't drop the sport (CCSU is rumored to play them in 2011), but doesn't this really doesn't look good for anyone.

ChickenMan
October 25th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Albany would be a nice replacement for N'eastern in the North.

bluehenbillk
October 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Temple to the CAA??

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM

There were definite CAA overtures made to Boston U, New Hampshire, College of Charleston, Davidson, Furman, Wofford and The Citadel in the past.

IMO, the only way Albany gets a shot at FB league membership is as a future all-sport member of the CAA, assuming NU, URI, UMass or another team left. The CAA Olympic sport conference would need to agree to expand to 14, however. The Danes would also need to guarantee 63 FB equivalancies, additional Olympic sport funding & make that new FB stadium a reality. In any case, there should be no need to backfill positions with FB affiliates, given that at least two all-sport members have start-ups in the works.

No matter what happens to its FB program, NU Olympic sports will probably remain in the CAA over the long term.

BigApp
October 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Temple to the CAA??

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
October 25th, 2007, 11:19 AM
GF - I'm playing devils advocate here, but man you guys certainly don't make the NE-4 feel very welcome and needed.

So UD's priority is 'Nova, Towson, and the CAA South. 'Nova doesn't want to play the North. W&M, JMU, and Richmond have no real rivalries with the North. It really sounds like the northern outposts are more of a burden. Seems most team just rather scheule UMass and UNH as a non-conference matchup.

So bottom line why does the CAA need/want UMass, UNH, Maine, and URI to stay in the CAA? And on the flip side, why doesn't the NE-4 move now to start their own conference so they can have some control over membership, rivalries, schedules, TV, etc?

I really hope NU doesn't drop the sport (CCSU is rumored to play them in 2011), but doesn't this really doesn't look good for anyone.

I have no problem with the North, I was just relaying a feeling I've always had from the nova folks when it relates to how they view the CAA. Truth be told, outside of Delaware, they don't care much for most of the conference (and they don't really like us all that much either) but they just seem to dislike the Maine's and Rhode Island's of the world more. Go figure.

Frankly, I'm perfectly fine keeping the Northern teams, assuming they keep fielding good teams, as they've always done. But there's certainly been talk from those teams in the past that they might not be in it for the long term. The NU talk here, there's always been talk over whether URI will keep football, and even Maine's coach (Cosgrove) said this year he's not sure Maine will be able to keep up financially with the rest of the conference. That's their own words, not the wish of anyone from a more Southern school.

The Northern schools remain in the CAA because it is a great conference, there are conference rivalries that are existing, and because moving out would mean losing access to the auto-bid and it would present serious scheduling issues for them. Filling 3 OOC games is one thing - if they formed a 6 team conference all of a sudden they would need to fill 6 OOC games. That's easier said than done. But there's no pressure to leave, and I don't think the CAA has ever told them that their time is short. Right now, the conference is functioning perfectly fine and everyone is happy. That may not always be the case, but so far so good.

danefan
October 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM
There were definite CAA overtures made to Boston U, New Hampshire, College of Charleston, Davidson, Furman, Wofford and The Citadel in the past.

IMO, the only way Albany gets a shot at FB league membership is as a future all-sport member of the CAA, assuming NU, URI, UMass or another team left. The CAA Olympic sport conference would need to agree to expand to 14, however. The Danes would also need to guarantee 63 FB equivalancies, additional Olympic sport funding & make that new FB stadium a reality. In any case, there should be no need to backfill positions with FB affiliates, given that at least two all-sport members have start-ups in the works.

No matter what happens to its FB program, NU Olympic sports will probably remain in the CAA over the long term.

So if NU olympic sports will remain, what would be the problem with Albany stepping in as an affiliate for football only? Take everything as it is in the CAA now, except remove NU's football team and put in Albany. Doesn't really change much does it?

bostonspider
October 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Actually Temple is 3-2 in the MAC so far this year, and seem pretty happy about it. Don't see them making the move. I hope NU does not drop football, but would not at all be surprised. I just want UR to stick with W&M, JMU, VU and UD for football.

TigerFan17
October 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Please don't send us north. Its cold. xnonox

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 11:37 AM
So if NU olympic sports will remain, what would be the problem with Albany stepping in as an affiliate for football only? Take everything as it is in the CAA now, except remove NU's football team and put in Albany. Doesn't really change much does it?

Actually, it would change once ODU & GSU enter. Would the Association be in a hurry to expand with additional FB affiliates if they are able to maintain a league with 7 all-sport members? I don't see it happening.

Dane96
October 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
IF Albany went in for all sports, the budget would increase from the 12mm projected to probably 15mm...which is around that of the CAA schools. Not sure where would have to fund more $$ there henfan.

If we did this, our budget would actually increase to 24mm a year because of the stadium.

89Hen
October 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Could be interesting...
They could do what the ACC does and have each team have a permanent rival in the other division. xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM
The Northern schools remain in the CAA because it is a great conference, there are conference rivalries that are existing, and because moving out would mean losing access to the auto-bid and it would present serious scheduling issues for them. Filling 3 OOC games is one thing - if they formed a 6 team conference all of a sudden they would need to fill 6 OOC games. That's easier said than done. But there's no pressure to leave, and I don't think the CAA has ever told them that their time is short. Right now, the conference is functioning perfectly fine and everyone is happy. That may not always be the case, but so far so good.

I think filling OOC games may have been a problem once, but is it so much anymore? The NEC won't be a limited need-based aid conference anymore, they'll be a playoff conference, and games with CCSU, Albany and Monmouth might help fill the void. Also don't forget Fordham (who played URI this year) and Holy Cross (who played UMass), Colgate (ditto), and certain local Ivies Harvard, Brown, Yale and Dartmouth.

Right now, New Hampshire played: FBS Marshall, Iona, and Dartmouth OOC. From the South, they played JMU, Richmond, and Delaware. Keep two CAA OOC games, and replace (say) Richmond with CCSU, and that's not a bad schedule. I really don't think OOC games would be that big a deal.

danefan
October 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I think filling OOC games may have been a problem once, but is it so much anymore? The NEC won't be a limited need-based aid conference anymore, they'll be a playoff conference, and games with CCSU, Albany and Monmouth might help fill the void. Also don't forget Fordham (who played URI this year) and Holy Cross (who played UMass), Colgate (ditto), and certain local Ivies Harvard, Brown, Yale and Dartmouth.

Right now, New Hampshire played: FBS Marshall, Iona, and Dartmouth OOC. From the South, they played JMU, Richmond, and Delaware. Keep two CAA OOC games, and replace (say) Richmond with CCSU, and that's not a bad schedule. I really don't think OOC games would be that big a deal.

If the northern CAA teams broke off, you can pretty much guarantee that Albany will do everything possible to be a part of that conference.

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM
IF Albany went in for all sports, the budget would increase from the 12mm projected to probably 15mm...which is around that of the CAA schools.

I'd imagine any increase, particularly one as high as 25% on the low end, is going to require considerable support. It would be great if Albany could eventually get to that level, locate funding for the stadium project, etc.

Of course, even at that, their admission into the FB league might presuppose CAA Olympic sport expansion to 14. It's an idea I could get behind as a fan (depending on the two schools involved), though the Association doesn't appear to be in any hurry to move in that direction right now. The priority in the short term appears to be growth from within (i.e.- the establishment of FB at ODU, GSU, and possibly GMU and the development of all sport rivalries.)xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
October 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
If the northern CAA teams broke off, you can pretty much guarantee that Albany will do everything possible to be a part of that conference.

Agreed and UA would fit nicely. I think the NE-4 plus the SUNYS are a no brainer. Add CCSU and you have 7 teams. I think the big question is who's #8 and/or #9. Less than 8 teams makes OOC schedule very difficult.

An 8-team AE/Yankee conference of UMass, URI, UNH, Maine, UA, SBU, CCSU, and ??? is a very solid core. You'd have 7 conference games and only need to find 4 OOC games. This is a very reasonable proposition.

If this new league began play in 2010, wouldn't they be eligible for the AQ in 2012? IMO a 2-year wait for an AQ is not the end of the world, when realisticlly a champ of this conference is likely to get an at-large anyway.

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

That comment completely ignores the finances of FCS football. Home FB games are the single primary source of revenue at this level.

As much as I like & respect UNH and UMaine FB, you're kidding yourself if you think JMU, UD or even UR would sacrifice the opportunity to schedule 'home only' FB games for OOC home-homes with the Wildcats or Black Bears. If it happened at all, it would be a very rare occurance indeed.

Last year, Jack Cosgrove reiterated how difficult is was for UMaine to get home FB games. That issue would magnify if the Bears ever moved to a smaller conference with less guaranteed home games.

(FTR- UMaine & UD played 10 times prior to joining the Bears in the YankCon. 9 of those games were played in Newark. Illustratating my earlier point even further, UMaine never scheduled a home game against JMU or Richmond prior to those teams joining the YankCon.)

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 12:47 PM
An 8-team AE/Yankee conference of UMass, URI, UNH, Maine, UA, SBU, CCSU, and ??? is a very solid core. You'd have 7 conference games and only need to find 4 OOC games. This is a very reasonable proposition.

If this new league began play in 2010, wouldn't they be eligible for the AQ in 2012? IMO a 2-year wait for an AQ is not the end of the world, when realisticlly a champ of this conference is likely to get an at-large anyway.

This alignment sounds like a real tough sell to the decision makers in Durham and, in particular, Amherst for reasons that extend beyond sacrificing the chance at an auto-bid for a couple of seasons.

Dane96
October 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'd imagine any increase, particularly one as high as 25% on the low end, is going to require considerable support. It would be great if Albany could eventually get to that level, locate funding for the stadium project, etc.

Of course, even at that, their admission into the FB league might presuppose CAA Olympic sport expansion to 14. It's an idea I could get behind as a fan (depending on the two schools involved), though the Association doesn't appear to be in any hurry to move in that direction right now. The priority in the short term appears to be growth from within (i.e.- the establishment of FB at ODU, GSU, and possibly GMU and the development of all sport rivalries.)xthumbsupx

Check your PM!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Agreed and UA would fit nicely. I think the NE-4 plus the SUNYS are a no brainer. Add CCSU and you have 7 teams. I think the big question is who's #8 and/or #9. Less than 8 teams makes OOC schedule very difficult.

A no brainer to someone campaigning his school for membership in America East maybe. Not a no brainer to someone from a school belonging to a power conference with an auto-bid and the resume to get multiple at large bids to the tournament. And I've got to disagree, quality scheduling will be significantly more difficult out side the CAA for UNH. Probably UMass as well, definitely for Maine. For example, in all these AE Football scenarios, the one home and home OOC virtually guaranteed (Northeastern) would now gone. And I'm sorry but right now playing Albany, CCSU, Monmouth, Duquesne, Stony Brook or Wagner is not comparable to playing Hofstra, Delaware, Towson, Villanova, JMU, W&M and Richmond.

And I'll say it again, a football league with four core members and the rest being affiliates is way too risky for me. Even if somehow CCSU became a full member (hardly a slam dunk IMO), I don't want to consider ANY AE Football option without a minimum of seven core members playing football. Any nobody has convinced me that Boston U, Binghamton, Hartford, UMBC and Hartford really gives a rat's arse about football. Not enough to truly fight for AE Football.

Based on a recent article in the Hartford Courant about adding 3K seats to Arute Field rather than any discussion about a major enhancement that you've alluded to in the past really makes this CT resident wonder if CCSU can ramp up to 63 scholarships and the associated costs related to remaining Title IX complaint.

Sorry I don't have any New England "solidarity" for you, but I've got a lot more reasons than I've posted that makes my message to our AD continue to be "keeping us in the CAA for football should be our focal point".

BearsCountry
October 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
If AE and CAA hypothetically ended up being two leagues with say 8 and 10 members, wouldnt each more than likely schedule each other OOC play?

89Hen
October 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
If AE and CAA hypothetically ended up being two leagues with say 8 and 10 members, wouldnt each more than likely schedule each other OOC play?
Some, but I doubt it would be as exclusive as the PL/Ivy relationship.

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Not at all. In fact, a similar plan was overwhelmingly rejected by CAA & AEC members as part of a prior proposed split of the A-10 FB league a couple of years ago. The plan called for a scheduling agreement between the two separate leagues.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Sorry LFN, but there are no signs that PL and Ivy League teams are truly willing to schedule multiple OOC games like you're alluding to. You really think that Holy Cross is prepared to play UMass, UNH and one other AE team in the same season, every year? I don't! What PL team is ready to do that?

For the record, the last year UNH played Ivies outside Dartmouth:

Harvard: 1939 (And they're a mere 65 miles away and on many other sports schedules with UNH)
Brown: 1931
Yale: 1935 (Again, often on other sports schedules with UNH)
Columbia: Never
Cornell: Once in 1922
Princeton: Never
Penn: Never

Sorry, but I just don't see the Ivy League as realistic scheduling partners either. Especially when there are rumors flying around that Dartmouth, an in-state rival, will drop UNH sooner rather than later. And even if the Ivies did schedule UNH, just how does that keep the schedule quality comparable to today?

And just which two CAA South schools are going to sign on for a home and home with UNH? The school we have the most history with over the years is Delaware and you already saw Henfan's comments. We'd be extremely lucky to get a two or three for one with them. JMU will look south before considering coming up to New England. JMHO, but W&M would look toward Elon, Wofford, and Furman before coming to New England. Villanova being a Big East school doesn't want to play New England publics. Richmond would probably look toward other VA schools as well as the SoCon privates. Towson and Hofstra, because of having the old AE ties and less bargaining power than the CAA schools, MIGHT be candidates. But Hofstra is going to play Albany, Stony Brook, Fordham, Columbia, Wagner, etc. OOC long before playing the NE-4 as Ace called them.

And what so many of the AE Football Supporters from outside the actual schools involved seem to not acknowledge is how much weaker the schedule would be in all your AE Football scenarios. I'm sorry but we're years away from when Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook and other NEC teams can consistently match the quality of the higher echelon within the CAA. I didn't mention specific teams because that echelon changes from year to year.

In your eyes your suggestion might not be a "bad schedule", but it certainly is an inferior schedule in my eyes.

Tribe4SF
October 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM

W&M would look to the multitude of FCS programs in the Mid-Atlantic (MEAC, Big South, SoCon) for OOC games, rather than incur travel expense to play the New England schools. We could add Hampton and Norfolk State as recurring opponents, which would be a profitable enterprise. My guess is ODU, JMU and UR would do similarly.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Always troublesome when a program is in jeopardy or even perceived that way. It becomes a highly negative vicious cycle that is tough to dig out of.

Seawolf97
October 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Always troublesome when a program is in jeopardy or even perceived that way. It becomes a highly negative vicious cycle that is tough to dig out of.

Agreed -tough to recruit new blood and fan support starts to fall off. Hope this is just another rumor and Northeastern continues with their program.xsmhx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Agreed -tough to recruit new blood and fan support starts to fall off. Hope this is just another rumor and Northeastern continues with their program.xsmhx

The rumor alone hurts the program.

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry LFN, but there are no signs that PL and Ivy League teams are truly willing to schedule multiple OOC games like you're alluding to.

Salient point! I didn't realize UNH had played so few games against Ivy schools, withstanding DC, of course.

I thought UD was unique in that regard among the former YankCon schools. The Hens have only faced UPenn & Princeton, though not since the '80's.

UMaine has only faced Dartmouth (but not since '98), Yale ('37), Harvard ('20) and Columbia ('42).

Aside from their rivalry with Brown, Rhody played only one other game with an Ivy school (Harvard in '23.)

UMass has played Harvard many times but most of those games have been in Cambridge (last played '88.) They've also played Brown (1911), Dartmouth (1981), and Yale (1908.)

Sadly & suprisingly, not a lot of history between Ivys and former YankCons.

AggieFinn
October 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
This could be curtains for my trip to Boston next year to see UC Davis play the Huskies...but then again, this will free up money...or...we can just transfer the game to another East Coast team...we do owe UNH a trip, that would be a matchup I'd like to see early in the year.

aceinthehole
October 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
A no brainer to someone campaigning his school for membership in America East maybe. Not a no brainer to someone from a school belonging to a power conference with an auto-bid and the resume to get multiple at large bids to the tournament. And I've got to disagree, quality scheduling will be significantly more difficult out side the CAA for UNH. Probably UMass as well, definitely for Maine. For example, in all these AE Football scenarios, the one home and home OOC virtually guaranteed (Northeastern) would now gone. And I'm sorry but right now playing Albany, CCSU, Monmouth, Duquesne, Stony Brook or Wagner is not comparable to playing Hofstra, Delaware, Towson, Villanova, JMU, W&M and Richmond.

And I'll say it again, a football league with four core members and the rest being affiliates is way too risky for me. Even if somehow CCSU became a full member (hardly a slam dunk IMO), I don't want to consider ANY AE Football option without a minimum of seven core members playing football. Any nobody has convinced me that Boston U, Binghamton, Hartford, UMBC and Hartford really gives a rat's arse about football. Not enough to truly fight for AE Football.

Based on a recent article in the Hartford Courant about adding 3K seats to Arute Field rather than any discussion about a major enhancement that you've alluded to in the past really makes this CT resident wonder if CCSU can ramp up to 63 scholarships and the associated costs related to remaining Title IX complaint.

Sorry I don't have any New England "solidarity" for you, but I've got a lot more reasons than I've posted that makes my message to our AD continue to be "keeping us in the CAA for football should be our focal point".

I respect your points and perspective. We come from different sides - you from the establishment, me from an upstart :)

As for scheduling, I think you'll be shocked at the amount of home/home deals that the top NEC teams have completed or have planned in the future.

UA - Brown, Fordham, Hofstra, ?
CCSU - URI, Hofstra, ?
Mon - Towson, Georgetown, Morgan State, Maine, URI, Cornell

These 3 teams have showed 1) they can compete and win vs top FCS team with less than half the schollys, 2) have indicated a plans to improve facilities and move toward full schollys, and 3) have scheduled home games with CAA and other top conferences.

SBU has already made the commitment and knocked of its first CAA team (Maine) last week. They are near fully scholly and have a better facility than UNH or Maine.

I understand your doubts and they are legitimate, but I think in 2 more years you will see that these 3 or 4 teams would be good conference partners.

No one is saying that UA, CCSU, SBU and Monmouth are comparable to JMU, Towson, W&M and 'Nova, but its not chopped liver. No one is suggesting UNH trips to Wagner. I do have some optomisim that the NNEC school will keep improving as more scholarships are added and a reputation is built.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Salient point! I didn't realize UNH had played so few games against Ivy schools, withstanding DC, of course.

I thought UD was unique in that regard among the former YankCon schools. The Hens have only faced UPenn & Princeton, though not since the '80's.

UMaine has only faced Dartmouth (but not since '98), Yale ('37), Harvard ('20) and Columbia ('42).

Aside from their rivalry with Brown, Rhody played only one other game with an Ivy school (Harvard in '23.)

UMass has played Harvard many times but most of those games have been in Cambridge (last played '88.) They've also played Brown (1911), Dartmouth (1981), and Yale (1908.)

Sadly & suprisingly, not a lot of history between Ivys and former YankCons.

Maine split a pair with the Tigers at Palmer Stadium in 1980 and 1981.

stevdock
October 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
This is interesting to me considering I believe this is the same school that Rocky Hager coaches (former NDSU). He coached the Bison through one of the best stretches in the Bison history. Winning three national championships in four years and I am pretty sure the fourth the lost in the championship game. But I could be wrong with that. He is an unbelievable coach who could always recruit. Wonder if it is lack of support from administration or if the game is starting to pass him by. He gave NDSU a pretty good game a couple years ago when they came to Fargo.

DTSpider
October 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
An interesting concept working here. The CAA brings in NU to get 6 football playing schools, but then NU drops football at the same time ODU starts football. It's a wash to me. Just stinks for the CAA's basketball schedule that teams have to go up to Boston.

I think if NU goes away, then move Towson up to the North. It seems to be an easy fix. UD would rather preserve the game with Nova than Towson. And, if Towson really wanted to keep UD, then do it OOC. UD has done that before with UNH & Hofstra.

TigerFan17
October 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
This is interesting to me considering I believe this is the same school that Rocky Hager coaches (former NDSU). He coached the Bison through one of the best stretches in the Bison history. Winning three national championships in four years and I am pretty sure the fourth the lost in the championship game. But I could be wrong with that. He is an unbelievable coach who could always recruit. Wonder if it is lack of support from administration or if the game is starting to pass him by. He gave NDSU a pretty good game a couple years ago when they came to Fargo.

NU and NDSU are VERY different programs, in terms of success and support.

For instance, this years average attendance...
NDSU: 18,932
NU: 2,487

I don't think NU axing football is so outlandish. Its not like they have some huge stadium they'd be vacating...its basically a glorified high school field @ Parsons.

And this rumor alone will hurt recruiting, as if facilities, locale, and support didn't hurt them enough as is.

I believe this is the beginning of the end.

xsmhx

TigerFan17
October 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
An interesting concept working here. The CAA brings in NU to get 6 football playing schools, but then NU drops football at the same time ODU starts football. It's a wash to me. Just stinks for the CAA's basketball schedule that teams have to go up to Boston.

I think if NU goes away, then move Towson up to the North. It seems to be an easy fix. UD would rather preserve the game with Nova than Towson. And, if Towson really wanted to keep UD, then do it OOC. UD has done that before with UNH & Hofstra.

I think we'd be taking a hit there. In terms of the pool of high school students we draw from, we have much more in common with the southern schools than we do with the northern schools. Towson, UD and JMU draw from a very similar base, with obvious gravitations based on the home of the student (i.e. if they're from Virginia, more likely to go to JMU, etc.).

Plus, as a program just getting it's feet wet in full-scholarship ball, I think we'd be much more happy [financially] playing schools around here and not ones way up north.

It comes down to this: The furthest South division trip is to William and Mary at just over 212 miles. The CLOSEST trip in the North division is to Hofstra at 211.9 miles.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM

This would have everything to do with lack of football support in the Northeast, a worrying trend especially around Boston. The AD is a basketball guy and doesn't seem to care much about football, and the CAA move seems to have been made with basketball in mind, not football.

If there is a football alumni association at Northeastern, I'd be getting revved up for a battle.

NDB
October 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM

the game in fargo was not very good.

23-10 Bison and not as close a game as the scoreboard indicated (the terriers scored a td in the 4th........)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I respect your points and perspective. We come from different sides - you from the establishment, me from an upstart :)

As for scheduling, I think you'll be shocked at the amount of home/home deals that the top NEC teams have completed or have planned in the future.

UA - Brown, Fordham, Hofstra, ?
CCSU - URI, Hofstra, ?
Mon - Towson, Georgetown, Morgan State, Maine, URI, Cornell

These 3 teams have showed 1) they can compete and win vs top FCS team with less than half the schollys, 2) have indicated a plans to improve facilities and move toward full schollys, and 3) have scheduled home games with CAA and other top conferences.

SBU has already made the commitment and knocked of its first CAA team (Maine) last week. They are near fully scholly and have a better facility than UNH or Maine.

I understand your doubts and they are legitimate, but I think in 2 more years you will see that these 3 or 4 teams would be good conference partners.

No one is saying that UA, CCSU, SBU and Monmouth are comparable to JMU, Towson, W&M and 'Nova, but its not chopped liver. No one is suggesting UNH trips to Wagner. I do have some optomisim that the NNEC school will keep improving as more scholarships are added and a reputation is built.

Believe me, I'm aware of much of that scheduling and of the many wins the NEC teams have had and the competitive games they've had. Still, Monmouth and Stony Brook this year against Maine doesn't impress me that much. Especially when I also see the pastings Richmond and Delaware put on SBU and Monmouth respectitively. And the SBU games last year in Amherst and Durham are still fresh in mind.

Just like UNH wins at Northwestern and Marshall don't mean my Wildcats could compete in the Big Ten or C-USA on a weekly basis, I don't think the positive steps exhibited by the NEC teams means they are capable of playing a full CAA type schedule. Frankly, I don't foresee enough progress in the coming two years that makes me want to jump on board the AE Football Bandwagon. SBU playing in a full scholly Big South might be approaching that status, but to date only Coastal Carolina has made a dent on the national scene. And yet they still didn't win a playoff game.

Might UNH make the playoffs more often from an AE Football League, sure. Will they win as many playoff games or play as many competitive games as they have representing the A-10/CAA, doubtful. Personally, I'd prefer fewer bids, but knowing that when a bid does come then we have a true chance of going deep in the tournament. I'd much prefer that to lots and lots of one and done, non competitive games.

UNH is playing football at the highest level of FBS despite dismal facilities. Why would I want to leave the league that is providing that level of play? Especially when I can't see any proposed AE Football scenario offering that same level even five years down the road. Even assuming that Albany, CCSU and SBU continue to grow their programs as you expect and CCSU gets full AE membership (JMHO but the latest APR figures I saw didn't help your cause at all), that's still only five core members of the football league. Who are the other two core members going to be to provide the stability needed for a viable league? And maybe the most crucial question of all, why would UMass want to be associated with this league?

henfan
October 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM
23-10 Bison and not as close a game as the scoreboard indicated (the terriers scored a td in the 4th........)

Terriers?! That was a Freudian slip, if ever there was one!xsmhx

http://www.logoserver.com/college/BUTerriers.GIF
http://www.logoserver.com/college/NortheasternHuskies03g.GIF

NDB
October 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Terriers?! That was a Freudian slip, if ever there was one!xsmhx

http://www.logoserver.com/college/BUTerriers.GIF
http://www.logoserver.com/college/NortheasternHuskies03g.GIF

;)

Monarch History
October 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM

If this is just a rumor than the school's admiinistration has to immediately come forward and say so; otherwise their silence says something. No recruit is going to commit not knowing what the future holds.:(

Seawolf97
October 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
If this is just a rumor than the school's admiinistration has to immediately come forward and say so; otherwise their silence says something. No recruit is going to commit not knowing what the future holds.:(

I know -once the rumors start flying no athlete will commit to their program. Football will dry up on its own and thats too badxsmhx

Husky Alum
October 25th, 2007, 09:12 PM
There's silence on campus because the article blindsided the President and the Athletic Director.

Those of you who know me in "real life" are probably waiting for me to say sometihng about this, but I'm a little too close to the situation to say anything other than as of now we have no plans to drop football.

NU's been rumored to be dropping football for 20 years. With a new president and a new AD, I think that people are trying to give some street cred to something that hasn't been formally discussed at any level in NU Governance (and if it was, I'd know about it).

Seawolf97
October 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Believe me, I'm aware of much of that scheduling and of the many wins the NEC teams have had and the competitive games they've had. Still, Monmouth and Stony Brook this year against Maine doesn't impress me that much. Especially when I also see the pastings Richmond and Delaware put on SBU and Monmouth respectitively. And the SBU games last year in Amherst and Durham are still fresh in mind.

Just like UNH wins at Northwestern and Marshall don't mean my Wildcats could compete in the Big Ten or C-USA on a weekly basis, I don't think the positive steps exhibited by the NEC teams means they are capable of playing a full CAA type schedule. Frankly, I don't foresee enough progress in the coming two years that makes me want to jump on board the AE Football Bandwagon. SBU playing in a full scholly Big South might be approaching that status, but to date only Coastal Carolina has made a dent on the national scene. And yet they still didn't win a playoff game.

Might UNH make the playoffs more often from an AE Football League, sure. Will they win as many playoff games or play as many competitive games as they have representing the A-10/CAA, doubtful. Personally, I'd prefer fewer bids, but knowing that when a bid does come then we have a true chance of going deep in the tournament. I'd much prefer that to lots and lots of one and done, non competitive games.

UNH is playing football at the highest level of FBS despite dismal facilities. Why would I want to leave the league that is providing that level of play? Especially when I can't see any proposed AE Football scenario offering that same level even five years down the road. Even assuming that Albany, CCSU and SBU continue to grow their programs as you expect and CCSU gets full AE membership (JMHO but the latest APR figures I saw didn't help your cause at all), that's still only five core members of the football league. Who are the other two core members going to be to provide the stability needed for a viable league? And maybe the most crucial question of all, why would UMass want to be associated with this league?

I have to agree that the CAA is one of the elite conferences in FCS today, but that doesnt mean change cant happen. I know the committent to football at Stonybrook has been unbelievable over the last 2 years. Yes we did get taken to the woodshed by Richmond and dont forget Youngstown State and probably one more whipping awaits us down at Elon on Nov. 17th but that is expected. We have palyed Hofstra close 2 years in row and did beat a 1-6 Maine.
I think if Albany and CCSU get the same type of committment from their administrations you will see both those programs take off also and I am rooting for them. Will AE take up football I certainly hope so. I know it will be a tough sell for UNH and Maine and they may not go without UMass which probably wouldnt move at all-so maybe URI . Also dont overlook Bryant. If the NEC goes to 45 scholarships todays #1 ranked D2 team could surprise alot of people in a few years. Hey in 2005 we battled for share of the NEC Championship. In 2010 we take on Army or Rutgers as counter team so anything is possible-change is goodxnodx

rcny46
October 25th, 2007, 11:46 PM
This could be curtains for my trip to Boston next year to see UC Davis play the Huskies...but then again, this will free up money...or...we can just transfer the game to another East Coast team...we do owe UNH a trip, that would be a matchup I'd like to see early in the year.

So would I.Games against intersectional opponents,though few and far between,are something I would always look forward to.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 26th, 2007, 07:48 AM
It will be interesting to see what the attendance is at Northeastern Saturday. You'd think anyone with any interest in supporting Football at NU would make every effort to get to this game. The weather won't be great...we'll see.

Husky Alum
October 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Attendance will be deceiving, because it's homecoming, and that's the one game we actually draw for.

Last year against UNH it was SRO - as big a crowd as many of us have seen at Parsons in a long time.

We're playing Maine in both hockey and football this weekend, so there will also be more Maine-iacs in attendance than normal - I figure 6,000 or so should be at the football game - if the weather were to be nice.

If the weather's crappy, it will be me and a few diehards tailgating in the end zone. As Tribe4SF knows, we don't let monsoons keep us from tailgating before homecoming!!!

Unfortunately NU's football alumni don't support the program well, at all. Of all of NU's sports, they have the lowest alumni giving rate (as calculated by # of former players who donate divided by total number of former living players) - now you can say because there are more FB players than any other team, it's a deceiving number, but their per capita giving is also pyss poor.

Kosty
October 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM
There is no way that UMass would want to be associated with obviously a lower level FCS conference containing schools like CCSU and Stony Brook and the others mentioned here. No offense.

UMass is one of the elite programs in FCS over the past 10 years. Why would they accept dropping to what would be considered a mid major FCS conference? The only option I see for UMass leaving the CAA is to jump to FBS.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Well good luck Husky Alum.

As for tailgateing at Parsons we met at an Irish Pub that was with in walking distance last year.
I don't remember the name of it. That's my plan again next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately NU's football alumni don't support the program well, at all. Of all of NU's sports, they have the lowest alumni giving rate (as calculated by # of former players who donate divided by total number of former living players) - now you can say because there are more FB players than any other team, it's a deceiving number, but their per capita giving is also pyss poor.

The football alumni need to get organized then and combat these types of things. You'd think such an article like this one would be the perfect recruiting tool to get folks to care, get membership, maybe start a football alumni group - unless they, like the students, don't care either. xtwocentsx

footballman65
October 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Also dont overlook Bryant. If the NEC goes to 45 scholarships todays #1 ranked D2 team could surprise alot of people in a few years.

Bryant isn't the #1 team in D2...its ranked #24.

andy7171
October 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Maybe he was looking at the regional rankings? They might be #1 in the East or Northeast or what ever they break the regions into.

danefan
October 26th, 2007, 10:20 AM
There is no way that UMass would want to be associated with obviously a lower level FCS conference containing schools like CCSU and Stony Brook and the others mentioned here. No offense.

UMass is one of the elite programs in FCS over the past 10 years. Why would they accept dropping to what would be considered a mid major FCS conference? The only option I see for UMass leaving the CAA is to jump to FBS.

No offense taken, but would you really consider Albany, Stony Brook and Central Conn. as fully funded 63 ride programs mid-major?

If a new conference did evolve there is no way the funding level can stay the same for those three mentioned teams. Affiliation with the new conference would clearly require a full financial committment to FCS football.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
No offense taken, but would you really consider Albany, Stony Brook and Central Conn. as fully funded 63 ride programs mid-major?

If a new conference did evolve there is no way the funding level can stay the same for those three mentioned teams. Affiliation with the new conference would clearly require a full financial committment to FCS football.

Exactly! Any proposed conference would require the teams provide a full 63 schollys.

If Albany and CCSU can win some big games now with half the schollys, I think they would both be very good team with 63.

No one is suggesting that NEC teams can compete week in and week out on 30 rides vs CAA teams, but they could with 63 and that's the point.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't, but how soon will it happen? I'm pretty confident that Albany will get there, but as a CT resident not so sure about Central CT. How do they fund the extra football scholarships and corresponding women's scholarships? As Ace has pointed out many times, the Storrs Sled Dogs get all the money from the legislature. And I'm not convinved that CCSU can win over the AE President's for full membership within the five years mentioned by another poster. What is happening with academics for their athletes that will change the AE President's minds?

And even if all that did happen, where are the other two or three schools who play full scholly football that would become full AE members? Will the non football AE-5 welcome them with open arms knowing the league would include 12 or more members? Even assuming that an AQ will be available, do folks really think a league with five core members and some affiliates is stable enough that UNH and Maine should just be ecstatic to join?

I'm not naive, I know change may be forced upon UNH and Maine. If and when that happens, then this type of league might be our only choice, but I sure don't get why so many posters seem to think that it is the best thing since sliced bread for UNH and Maine's football programs? And why we should be actively pursuing it? xconfusedx I don't want to be cruel, but UNH has to look out for what is best for UNH.

danefan
October 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't, but how soon will it happen? I'm pretty confident that Albany will get there, but as a CT resident not so sure about Central CT. How do they fund the extra football scholarships and corresponding women's scholarships? As Ace has pointed out many times, the Storrs Sled Dogs get all the money from the legislature. And I'm not convinved that CCSU can win over the AE President's for full membership within the five years mentioned by another poster. What is happening with academics for their athletes that will change the AE President's minds?

And even if all that did happen, where are the other two or three schools who play full scholly football that would become full AE members? Will the non football AE-5 welcome them with open arms knowing the league would include 12 or more members? Even assuming that an AQ will be available, do folks really think a league with five core members and some affiliates is stable enough that UNH and Maine should just be ecstatic to join?

I'm not naive, I know change may be forced upon UNH and Maine. If and when that happens, then this type of league might be our only choice, but I sure don't get why so many posters seem to think that it is the best thing since sliced bread for UNH and Maine's football programs? And why we should be actively pursuing it? xconfusedx I don't want to be cruel, but UNH has to look out for what is best for UNH.

I agree, there is clearly more upside for Albany, SBU, etc... in an AEast or other league, then there is for UNH or UMass. No doubt about that.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Husky Alum,

After getting pulled into this conversation, I felt extremely bad talking about the demise of Northeastern Football prematurely. Especially talking about it like it was a foregone conclusion. Please accept my apologies.

For as much as people like to slam Parsons, Northeastern has been playing high level I-AA/FCS football for a long time now. Losing ANY program of that ilk regardless of facilities is not good for FCS Football.

Football at Parsons isn't your normal game day experience, but there is something cool about taking the trolley to the game. And to have the privilege of participating in the HuskyAlum Tailgate when only a dozen people or so get to tailgate on the premises at Parsons is an experience not easily matched elsewhere on the CAA circuit!!!

Best wishes HuskyAlum getting your football alumni more involved. Student involvement had increased so well the past few years, hopefully you can keep that going as well. You've got some dedicated followers like PIP and Alum in 51 among others who should give you a great start getting this effort rolling.

henfan
October 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Great discussion, guys.xthumbsupx

Clearly there are academic, competitive, financial and scheduling issues, as well as issues of perception, that have to be taken into account. Right now at least, AEC FB seems like a very unlikely proposition without considerable changes to its Olympic sport membership. As UNH Alum suggested, it's difficult to build and maintain a league with an excess of affiliate members. All-sport membership provides the most stability to any league.

I'd also agree that NU FB is not a thing of the past by any means. Husky Alum should know that it's the last thing any of us want to see. The BU FB thing is still something that stings me personally and I have no connection to the university.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'd also agree that NU FB is not a thing of the past by any means. Husky Alum should know that it's the last thing any of us want to see. The BU FB thing is still something that stings me personally and I have no connection to the university.

Agreed, and I feel the exact same way about BU football, with freakin' John Silber being hell-bent on killing the historic program. It still burns me up to this day: claiming "financial difficulties" for the university and then turning around to build a multimillion dollar arena for basketball and hockey.

They then turn around and name it after their biggest football star, Harry Agganis. A hockey arena named after a football star who played professional baseball. Don't get me started on freakin' BU.

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Go...gate
October 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
There's silence on campus because the article blindsided the President and the Athletic Director.

Those of you who know me in "real life" are probably waiting for me to say sometihng about this, but I'm a little too close to the situation to say anything other than as of now we have no plans to drop football.

NU's been rumored to be dropping football for 20 years. With a new president and a new AD, I think that people are trying to give some street cred to something that hasn't been formally discussed at any level in NU Governance (and if it was, I'd know about it).

Good news. No one wants a further diminution of FCS programs - the departure from the scene of BU, Canisus, St. John's. St. Peter's, St. Mary's, Fairfield and others in the past decade has been very discouraging. Hope the Huskies stay in the football business for a long time.

I know Colgate's AD had been in discussions about a home-and-home with you guys and perhaps a longer-term scheduling deal. Hope we can get together.

Cobblestone
October 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Man, it must suck to be a NE football player... Just reading this article tells me that those students would get more upset if they were to remove the Local Starbucks vice the football team. What a bunch of stuck up intellectual snobs!!! And yes, this is coming from a W&M Grad....xnonono2x

BINGO!

Cobblestone
October 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Right on!

Tilldog40
October 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Funny coming from a URI fan, word is that they will be cutting FB soon to.

danefan
October 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Husky Alum,

After getting pulled into this conversation, I felt extremely bad talking about the demise of Northeastern Football prematurely. Especially talking about it like it was a foregone conclusion. Please accept my apologies.

For as much as people like to slam Parsons, Northeastern has been playing high level I-AA/FCS football for a long time now. Losing ANY program of that ilk regardless of facilities is not good for FCS Football.

Football at Parsons isn't your normal game day experience, but there is something cool about taking the trolley to the game. And to have the privilege of participating in the HuskyAlum Tailgate when only a dozen people or so get to tailgate on the premises at Parsons is an experience not easily matched elsewhere on the CAA circuit!!!

Best wishes HuskyAlum getting your football alumni more involved. Student involvement had increased so well the past few years, hopefully you can keep that going as well. You've got some dedicated followers like PIP and Alum in 51 among others who should give you a great start getting this effort rolling.

I agree. Great post.xthumbsupx

bkrownd
October 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Good news. No one wants a further diminution of FCS programs - the departure from the scene of BU, Canisus, St. John's. St. Peter's, St. Mary's, Fairfield and others in the past decade has been very discouraging. Hope the Huskies stay in the football business for a long time.

As long as football remains a money hog eating up too many scholarships, there will be programs under the axe.

Cobblestone
October 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Funny coming from a URI fan, word is that they will be cutting FB soon to.

I guess you missed the point of my posts. I don't want to see anybody drop football since it's not good for FCS football. In other words,,, I'm on your side. Get it?

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
When the talk of NU Football's demise started yesterday it made me think about them & there is one distinct thing that popped up. The guys that coach there must be incredible recruiters. Taking a high school kid through those facilities & getting him to commit is commendable.

danefan
October 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
When the talk of NU Football's demise started yesterday it made me think about them & there is one distinct thing that popped up. The guys that coach there must be incredible recruiters. Taking a high school kid through those facilities & getting him to commit is commendable.

Absolutely. Same goes for Bob Ford at Albany. Recruiting with the facilties we have now is amazing.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Absolutely. Same goes for Bob Ford at Albany. Recruiting with the facilties we have now is amazing.

You can add Coach Mac to that list.

Seawolf97
October 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM

You are right. They are currently ranked 3rd in the Northeast Division of D-2 and 24th. in the nation. Per their website they were number 1 in the Northeast up until last week but dropped due to SOS with a win over St Anselms. They are 7-0 right now and should be a nice fit in the NEC when they go to 30 scholarships.xthumbsupx

GeeWiz
October 26th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Obviously this is true, however, NU's academics, location and the conference sells recruits. It's not the top-flight FCS recruits, but decent recruits.

It made Don Brown's ability to get 1-A transfers to come to NU all the more amazing.

Until NU's President makes a comment that the U will drop the sport, I'll continue to follow and watch the Huskies. But NU can't let this linger or it will kill our recruiting.

Husky Alum
October 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
It still burns me up to this day: claiming "financial difficulties" for the university and then turning around to build a multimillion dollar arena for basketball and hockey.

They then turn around and name it after their biggest football star, Harry Agganis. A hockey arena named after a football star who played professional baseball. Don't get me started on freakin' BU.

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

As much as I hate BU, that building isn't paid for - it was financed with very bad high yield debt. The coupon on those things is incredible. I own a bunch for my investment portfolio, and I'm happy to say the interest I get from BU is going to help put my kids through college.

BU's debt rating is that of a third world nation and that building has actually hamstrung the University like you can't imagine.

Anyway, with regards to NU recruiting - NU doesn't bring its recruits to Parsons, unless a student specifically asks - it's not part of the standard recruiting trip!

Latest rumor from NU is that there's no way the sport will be dropped in the next year or two - at a minimum, our new President doesn't want to have ANY negative PR and he was blindsided by the article in the NU News.

Gameday at Parsons is a unique experience - if you haven't experienced it yet - you MUST.

UNHAlum is right, we don't have many spots to tailgate, so we tailgate in the baseball bullpen and can actually sit in our cars and watch the game, or come and go as we please back to our cars during the game.

mainejeff
October 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Obviously this is true, however, NU's academics, location and the conference sells recruits. It's not the top-flight FCS recruits, but decent recruits.

It made Don Brown's ability to get 1-A transfers to come to NU all the more amazing.

Until NU's President makes a comment that the U will drop the sport, I'll continue to follow and watch the Huskies. But NU can't let this linger or it will kill our recruiting.

I'd like to kick you while you're down but I just can't........:(

It'll be interesting to see how the Dirty Huskies react tomorrow.....Maine could REALLY use a win (and so could Cosgrove who is also rumored to be on the chopping block).

DB_Atlantic10
October 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Can't break up the UD/Nova rivalry.. send the newbie.. Towson to the North.. UD/Nova can always play each other annually as a "In Conf" OOC game during the off year rotation.

mainejeff
October 27th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Villanova makes more sense in the North. Towson is an all-sport affiliate which I'm sure will play a part, and so will geography. Last time that I checked, Baltimore was South of Philly by quite a distance (106 miles). Also, doesn't Villanova get a lot of their students from the New York/New England area?

CAA South fans just want all the crappy programs in the North. xrolleyesx

EmeryZach
October 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
NU just wants more money for the hockey team.

Old Cage
October 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
A couple of things (excuse please if these points have been covered):

1. The future of URI football is also uncertain. The new AD, Thorr Bjorn, a good guy from UMass, has his hands full. He is a former UMass football player.
Here is a good read:

http://www.projo.com/sports/mikeszostak/picks19_10-19-07_FA7I05S.2543bf6.html

2. PLEASE, southern folks, do not lump UMass (and probably UNH) with the SUNY's and URI and Maine and some other unknowns for our football future.
My goodness, Vermont has a club team this year for the first time in 20 years. Maybe we should play them. I have no better guess than anyone else where we will head, but some of the suggestions here are just not the answer.

mainejeff - Get that program going! Good grief.

Dane96
October 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Well...then I guess you should just stop playing Albany then; We are on the schedule AGAIN for 2008.

Old Cage
October 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
And that is a good thing. I can see a future where you guys and Stony Brook are really competitive. At the moment, though, I would love to see a league with UMass, UNH, Army, Navy, Temple and others who would be dedicated to play at that level.

EmeryZach
October 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
oh money, what a funny thing it is.

aceinthehole
October 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
And that is a good thing. I can see a future where you guys and Stony Brook are really competitive. At the moment, though, I would love to see a league with UMass, UNH, Army, Navy, Temple and others who would be dedicated to play at that level.

Dude, you're not at that level! Like it or not you are in FCS and those 3 teams are dropping down.

Old Cage
October 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I didn't say they weren't. Our games at Army and Navy the last two years were outstanding. Great fun. They were both very close games. This year we were down 17-14 to BC very late. We certainly can play with those teams.

I said NOTHING about us going up.

aceinthehole
October 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I didn't say they weren't. Our games at Army and Navy the last two years were outstanding. Great fun. They were both very close games. This year we were down 17-14 to BC very late. We certainly can play with those teams.

I said NOTHING about us going up.

Then how you expect to "see a league with UMass, UNH, Army, Navy, Temple ..."?

Old Cage
October 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
You wrote: "those 3 teams are dropping down." That's big news if true. They certainly should. The Navy Commandant wrote an open letter to UMass after our game saying something to the effect that our team and band and fans provided the best atmosphere at a Navy home game in many years.

I guess I don't get your point.

aceinthehole
October 27th, 2007, 12:00 PM
You wrote: "those 3 teams are dropping down." That's big news if true. They certainly should. The Navy Commandant wrote an open letter to UMass after our game saying something to the effect that our team and band and fans provided the best atmosphere at a Navy home game in many years.

I guess I don't get your point.

sorry typo - They aren't moving down, so unless you move up you will not be IN A CONFERENCE with Army, Navy and Temple.