PDA

View Full Version : SoCon 2022 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 10

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2022, 10:39 PM
Away
Home
Time
And…?

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
2P

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
2P

https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
3P

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
No changes in the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications, but the ‘test score’ that came back this week tells us that Chattanooga, while truly an outstanding Team, only has a 1-car garage and if the Ford’s engine won’t crank, their soft leather shoes are not durable enough and their snake bite loses a lot of its venom. FUBeAR thinks Chatt, can (and will) quickly learn to diversify their offense and, even if their #1 vehicle is back hittin’ on all cylinders next week, they still will be a better Team, come playoff time, from the lesson they learned at the hands of the mighty Paladins - the lesson that sent the TrainBirds back to 4th place…for now.

NOT’s - Who had Woffy as the ‘Best of the Not’s’ on their bingo card? How hard is Josh Conklin pulling for Kerwin Bell this week?

GOT’s
1.Furman (5-1, 7-2 (#5 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
1. Mercer (5-1, 7-2 (FBS P5 SEC loss, Top 10 FCS loss))
3. Samford (5-0, 7-1 (#1 in FBS P5 SEC loss))
4. Chattanooga (4-1, 6-2 (#17 in FBS P5 B1G loss, Loss to FCS that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Top 10))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. Wofford (2-3, 2-6)
6. ETSU (1-6, 3-6)
7. CIT (2-4, 2-6)
8. WCU (1-4, 3-5)
9. VMI (0-5, 1-7)

bonarae
October 30th, 2022, 11:57 PM
I gave up on ETSU -- easily the 2019 Colgate of the 2022 season xbawlingx

UTC
WCU
Samford

Mocs123
October 31st, 2022, 03:37 AM
Picks:
Chattanooga – 21 – Charleston is a tough place to play, but the Mocs regroup and come away with a close win over the Bulldogs.
The Citadel -17

Wofford - 27
Western Carolina -31 – Could the Terriers come into Cullowhee and pull an upset? I could see that but I’m picking the home team in a tough hard-fought game.

VMI - 13
Samford – 41 – Beatdown of the Week – Samford can score and VMI is struggling, which means the Bulldogs win big at home.

Power Rankings:
Samford – Remaining undefeated in FCS play gets the Bulldogs the top spot.
Furman – Big win over the Mocs on homecoming.
Chattanooga – Couldn’t find a way to get it done without Ford.
Mercer – Going to rest up this week for a tough final SoCon stand.

Western Carolina – A little bit of a Jekyll and Hyde season, but a dangerous team.
Wofford – Where has this team been? The Terriers are surging after being left for dead earlier in the season.
The Citadel – A scrappy tough team, but the Bulldogs have not found a ton of success. Does Thompsons job depend on keeping the Silver Shako?
ETSU – As a Moc fan it pains me to say this, but the Bucs are better than this.
VMI – Injuries have derailed the Keydets season.

Playoff Possibilities – D1 Wins possible (minus money games):
Samford – 10
Chattanooga – 9
Mercer – 9
Furman – 8
Western Carolina – 6 (OUT)
Wofford – 5 (OUT)
The Citadel – 4 (OUT)
ETSU – 4 (OUT)
VMI – 4 (OUT)

SoCon Wins Possible:
Samford – 8
Chattanooga – 7
Furman – 7
Mercer – 7
Western Carolina – 6
Wofford – 5
The Citadel – 4
Western Carolina – 4
VMI – 3
ETSU – 2

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2022, 09:22 AM
I'm not going to pretend that Wofford is some juggernaut now, but the offensive awakening is basically the chains of Conklin being lifted. Players didn't like him, obviously, but judging how we have taken shots down field, it seems like interim HC (and offensive coordinator) Shawn Watson was being held back with what he wanted to do.

Again, Wofford is still a flawed team. Our offensive line is average at best and we probably need a new coach there. But our defense is solid (sans this past week's performance) and our offense has grown an identity. I think our next 3 games are winnable, if we play like our last two. We'll be favored against VMI, will have a toss up game this week, and will be underdogs at Furman.

I think if we win out, Watson is no longer just an interim coach.

FUBeAR
October 31st, 2022, 10:04 AM
I think our next 3 games are winnableDefine what you mean by “winnable.” Massey gives the PorchYappers a 14% chance of beating Furman @ Furman. Is that what you mean by “winnable” or are you saying, in your mind, Woffy has at least a 51% chance to beat Furman?

Mocs123
October 31st, 2022, 10:53 AM
Watson is coaching like he's got nothing to lose. Western has been a bit of an enigma - they've looked really, really good at times, and pretty pedestrian at others. How much of a shot the Terriers have against them, depends on which Catamount team shows up. The Keydets have been riddled with injuries, and unless they get some guys back, don't have a ton of offensive firepower -based on this years results its not unreasonable to think the Terriers have a good shot at home against them. Furman is a pretty good football team. This reminds me of an old school physical Furman football team. I'd say the odds are not in the Terriers favor, much like FUBeAR (via MR. Massey) pointed out.

Depending on how the next two weeks play out - I may have to decide if I want Furman to win and get another SoCon team in the playoffs or give the Mocs a chance at sole possession of the SoCon championship. That can only happen if the Mocs win out, Furman beats Mercer but loses to the Terriers, and Mercer beats Samford.

843yapterrier
October 31st, 2022, 11:26 AM
1. Samford. Undefeated in league play.
2. Chattanooga. Offensive star availability or adaptation determines if they stay here.
3. Mercer. Coin Flip with FU. I don’t believe ranking teams on same line.
4. Furman. See above.
5 Wofford. Seems impossible that this could be the case two weeks ago. What could have been if SW was coach all year. Or anyone than JC.
6. ETSU. Better than their record.
7. Western. Dr Jeckll or Mr. Hyde.
8. Citadel. Missing right qb for TO most of year.
9. VMI. Less talent then decimated by injury.

UTC
WOFFORD
SAMFORD

kdinva
October 31st, 2022, 12:32 PM
9. VMI. Less talent then decimated by injury. mainly on O-Line

UTC
WOFFORD
SAMFORD

one factor I forgot, Coach Wach has six new full time assistants, guess all folks not meshing just yet.

Mocs123
October 31st, 2022, 01:53 PM
one factor I forgot, Coach Wach has six new full time assistants, guess all folks not meshing just yet.

I didn't know that. That a lot of new guys. Did they all get better jobs, or was there something else going on?

The Cats
October 31st, 2022, 01:54 PM
Wofford at Western Carolina
Chattanooga at The Citadel
VMI at Samford

Power Rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis):

1. (3) Mercer (7-2, 5-1 SoCon)
Next: Bye

2. (2) Samford (7-1, 5-0 SoCon)
Next: VMI

3. (4) Furman (7-2, 5-1 SoCon)

4. (1) Chattanooga (6-2, 4-1 SoCon)
Next: at The Citadel

5. (6) Wofford (2-6, 3-3 SoCon)
Next: at Western Carolina

6. (5) The Citadel (2-6, 2-4 SoCon)
Next: Chattanooga

7. (8) Western Carolina (3-5, 1-4SoCon)
Next: Wofford

8. (7) ETSU (3-6, 1-6 SoCon)

9. (9) VMI (1-7, 0-6 SoCon)
Next: at Samford

Mocs123
October 31st, 2022, 02:03 PM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/313414160_1163228124307516_3428685853100456839_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=K3oqkEZtYZcAX-Wrynj&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=00_AfAHwT35vXpqPDtw-02vn0CHzdh2SwxA3DP7LJJMMJwdFw&oe=63650899

Mocs123
October 31st, 2022, 02:06 PM
Did anyone who saw the play think that was targeting? It had to be one of the top ten worst calls I have ever seen in college football - not to mention what happened after that.

SoCon officiating seems to be really bad and has been for a long time. The irony of it happening in a game with Furman, who was the recipient of one of my other top ten worst calls I have ever seen in college football just a couple of weeks apart.

Milktruck74
October 31st, 2022, 02:18 PM
I won't call it a "make up call" I'd prefer to believe that those calls were two independent awful displays of poor judgement/interpretation of the rules by two different SoCon officials, and Equally as poor judgement/interpretation of the rules by the replay official, who chose not to overturn an egregious error on the field, because he was afraid of hurting someone's feelings. While some errors can be chalked up to judgement, I CAN NOT forgive the mis-application of the rules. They got together and conferenced to take away the interception which placed the ball in the redzone for Chattanooga...4 officials made this decision and the one in the box allowed to happen....The players and coaches at ALL SoCon Schools deserve better than this!!!! DO BETTER SOCON!!!

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 08:11 AM
Quiet bunch this week…

Do the bellhops have 0 chance of upsetting Chattanooga at home? They cut the Mocs last year after the TrainBirds suffered a heartbreaking SoCon road loss to Mercer. Almost identical situation except The Citadel is at home and the SnakeShoes heartbreakers’ were the Paladins. Do we really think this Chatt Team is that much psychologically stronger than last year’s Team that let Mercer ‘beat them twice?’ Why wouldn’t they let Furman ‘beat them twice’ this season? Will Ford be back? Coach said he was still day-to-day yesterday.

Any chance VMI pulls it together and goes into Homewood like they went into ChuckTown in 2019 - big underdogs with a losing record - and cuts the BamaBulldogs as they did the SC version?

Can Wofford keep it rollin’ on the road in Cullowhee and really get those FIRE KERWIN! chants going in Cantamount country?

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 08:36 AM
Quiet bunch this week…

Do the bellhops have 0 chance of upsetting Chattanooga at home? They cut the Mocs last year after the TrainBirds suffered a heartbreaking SoCon road loss to Mercer. Almost identical situation except The Citadel is at home and the SnakeShoes heartbreakers’ were the Paladins. Do we really think this Chatt Team is that much psychologically stronger than last year’s Team that let Mercer ‘beat them twice?’ Why wouldn’t they let Furman ‘beat them twice’ this season? Will Ford be back? Coach said he was still day-to-day yesterday.

Any chance VMI pulls it together and goes into Homewood like they went into ChuckTown in 2019 - big underdogs with a losing record - and cuts the BamaBulldogs as they did the SC version?

Can Wofford keep it rollin’ on the road in Cullowhee and really get those FIRE KERWIN! chants going in Cantamount country?

Per Massey The Citadel has an 8% chance of beating the Mocs - however as you alluded to anything can happen as the Bulldogs came into Chattanooga and beat the Mocs when the Mocs were playing for a SoCon Championship and a Playoff birth and the Bellhops were playing for nothing but pride. Personally, I think Charlston is a tough place to play as well, so I'm not going to say this game doesn't have my attention.

I have no idea if Ford will be back - No matter if he is or isn't Coach Wright will keep it tight lipped until kickoff. He likes to keep his info close to the chest.

Is this Mocs team mentally tougher than last year? I'd like to think so, but I guess we will find out this week.

I think Wofford and WCU is an interesting game. WCU either seems to be hot or cold and the Terriers have seemingly been playing well. Honestly I could see it going either way.

VMI upsetting Samford? Hatcher has a habit of losing a game a year he shouldn't, but I don't think it will be this one unless the Keydets get some guys back healthy. They just didn't look at scrappy as they have the past few years and this is the least - Hatcher like Samford team I've seen in a while.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 10:47 AM
OK…the game isn’t coming up for another week, but FUBeAR just became aware of 2 interesting statistics…

Mercer and Furman are ranked #1 & #2, respectively, in all of FCS, in 2 very opposite Turnover categories

They are Top 2 in Interceptions (gained) and also Top 2 in Fumbles Lost.

So…they both give it away on the ground and snatch it out of the air at inordinate rates.

Isn’t that strange?

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 11:10 AM
That is a very odd anomaly. I'm curious who you're pulling for (assuming Furman) vs. who you expect to win....

Either way it ought to be a good game.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 11:32 AM
That is a very odd anomaly. I'm curious who you're pulling for (assuming Furman) vs. who you expect to win....

Either way it ought to be a good game.
Yep - should be a great game with a large Homecoming crowd. Looking forward to attending.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2022, 11:42 AM
OK…the game isn’t coming up for another week, but FUBeAR just became aware of 2 interesting statistics…

Mercer and Furman are ranked #1 & #2, respectively, in all of FCS in 2 very opposite Turnover categories

They are Top 2 in Interceptions (gained) and also Top 2 in Fumbles Lost.

So…they both give it away on the ground and snatch it out of the air at inordinate rates.

Isn’t that strange?

Yeah that's kind of weird. Eh. About 60% of Mercers Ints came against three teams trying to claw back and taking chances. That's not to take away from a good stat, but like most stats there is a back story to each and every game.

But you are right, that is probably an anomaly. Furman at +4 overall in turnovers and Mercer at +1 is a more important important stat. Like UTC at +7. Pretty sure those last two flipped in one game. Bet Mercer wished they had those -6 to UTC back. Samford at +4. And us at -4, VMI at -9, and WCU at -13! Holy crap. Just imagine if WCU was in positive territory. They could at least be 5-3 maybe, instead of 3-5. ETSU with +3 doesn't seem to have helped a lot. Wofford is at +1, but they had other issues. Turnover have had an impact to a degree.

PaladinNation
November 2nd, 2022, 12:39 PM
One overlooked by important stat…
Furman has blocked six kicks!
Good enough for 3rd in the country

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 12:45 PM
One overlooked by important stat…
Furman has blocked six kicks!
Good enough for 3rd in the country
Mercer is vulnerable to having Punts blocked, IFBO…but scrimmage kick protection and kicker’s quickness to get the ball elevated hasn’t been a problem…IFBR

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 02:01 PM
So ….

Is this correct?

We think…

Mercer beating Furman OR Samford
Furman beating Wofford

…will put 4 SoCon Teams in the Playoffs. Is that right?

So Chatt & Samford are already in … essentially because Chatt beat Mercer and Samford beat Furman…and Furman is in by beating Chatt (but has to best Woffy too because of having a D2 win).

So - just beat 1 of the 3 other ‘good’ SoCon Teams (and all the ‘Non-Good’ ones) to finish 8-3/6-2 and all 4 are in. Correct?

…all this assuming no upsets by CIT, WCU, VMI…of course.

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 03:03 PM
I think...

Chattanooga has to win two out of their next 3 to get in (@The Citadel, vs. Samford, @Western Carolina)
Samford has to win one out of their next 3 (vs VMI, @Chattanoga, vs. Mercer)
Mercer has to win one out of their next 2 (vs. Furman, @ Samford)
I think Furman has to win out to be guaranteed a spot just due to the fact they need to get to 8 D1 wins (@Mercer, vs Wofford)

Any team left with just seven D1 wins will be on the bubble and may or may not get in, but will be up against 6-7 win MVFC and Big Sky teams and you know how that usually goes.

To get 4 teams in I think Furman needs to beat Mercer and Mercer needs to beat Samford (assuming that UTC beats The Citadel and Western, Furman beats Wofford, and Samford beats VMI). Of course that does get us four teams in but no seeds. To get a seed - I think any of Samford, Chattanooga, or Mercer has a shot but they have to win out - and that probably means the SoCon only gets 3 teams in.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 03:26 PM
I think...

Chattanooga has to win two out of their next 3 to get in (@The Citadel, vs. Samford, @Western Carolina)
Samford has to win one out of their next 3 (vs VMI, @Chattanoga, vs. Mercer)
Mercer has to win one out of their next 2 (vs. Furman, @ Samford)
I think Furman has to win out to be guaranteed a spot just due to the fact they need to get to 8 D1 wins (@Mercer, vs Wofford)

Any team left with just seven D1 wins will be on the bubble and may or may not get in, but will be up against 6-7 win MVFC and Big Sky teams and you know how that usually goes.

To get 4 teams in I think Furman needs to beat Mercer and Mercer needs to beat Samford (assuming that UTC beats The Citadel and Western, Furman beats Wofford, and Samford beats VMI). Of course that does get us four teams in but no seeds. To get a seed - I think any of Samford, Chattanooga, or Mercer has a shot but they have to win out - and that probably means the SoCon only gets 3 teams in.
So…you added some stuff, but the only disagreement is you think…

Furman gets left out @ 8-3/6-2 (7-2 FCS) with losses to highly-ranked Samford (without the FU Starting QB & with documented Firing-Offense-Level of Officiating) & to highly-ranked Mercer, with a win over highly-ranked Chattanooga, and with a way more than respectable game vs. a Top 5 FBS Team.

FUBeAR thinks that’s debatable, but does know how the Committee works, so while it really shouldn’t even be debatable, it is possible and also would be a travesty, if it happened.

What could happen (in a just & righteous world) is Chatt and Mercer both winning out and both getting Seeds @ 9-2/7-1 with Chatt getting the AQ via head-to-head… & Samford and Furman both getting At-Large bids … both @ 8-3/6-2.

Thoughts?

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 04:25 PM
Furman gets left out @ 8-3/6-2 (7-2 FCS) with losses to highly-ranked Samford (without the FU Starting QB & with documented Firing-Offense-Level of Officiating) & to highly-ranked Mercer, with a win over highly-ranked Chattanooga (without the UTC all SoCon RB & with documented Firing-Offense-Level of Officiating), and with a way more than respectable game vs. a Top 5 FBS Team.

xnodx

To be fair, I think there is a lot of MVFC/Big Sky/CAA bias and I don't think the committee would do enough homework to realize Furman lost without their starting QB or with a terrible call that significantly impacted the game in Samford's favor. I think Furman could be in at 8-3 but they'd be on the bubble with the committee and whether they'd get in or not would depend on how many 7- win MVFC, BS, or CAA teams there are. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

No-matter who gets in on where they matched up, I hope the SoCon makes a run in the playoffs this year. I'd like to see all the SoCon teams in the playoffs win some games and knock people off. Heck, I'd take an all SoCon final.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 05:19 PM
Furman gets left out @ 8-3/6-2 (7-2 FCS) with losses to highly-ranked Samford (without the FU Starting QB & with documented Firing-Offense-Level of Officiating) & to highly-ranked Mercer, with a win over highly-ranked Chattanooga (without the UTC all SoCon RB & with documented Firing-Offense-Level of Officiating), and with a way more than respectable game vs. a Top 5 FBS Team.

xnodx

To be fair, I think there is a lot of MVFC/Big Sky/CAA bias and I don't think the committee would do enough homework to realize Furman lost without their starting QB or with a terrible call that significantly impacted the game in Samford's favor. I think Furman could be in at 8-3 but they'd be on the bubble with the committee and whether they'd get in or not would depend on how many 7- win MVFC, BS, or CAA teams there are. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

No-matter who gets in on where they matched up, I hope the SoCon makes a run in the playoffs this year. I'd like to see all the SoCon teams in the playoffs win some games and knock people off. Heck, I'd take an all SoCon final.SoCon Official(s) fired over call(s) in the Chatt @ Furman game…or are your stretching the truth just a wee bit here?

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2022, 05:38 PM
If Samford deserves an asterisk for their win, then Furman should likewise deserve one here.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 05:51 PM
If Samford deserves an asterisk for their win, then Furman should likewise deserve one here.

As much as the Chatt fans and you (apparently) want to draw equivalence with the prior spectacle of incompetence and/or purposeful malfeasance, because the suspension for this week of the Chatt Player was overturned, the 2 situations absolutely do not compare. Chatt issuing a “statement” that looked like a mock-up (Moc up?) of the SoCon’s Samford @ Furman Officiating debacle public statement was pretty funny, but it’s not the same as the league publicly & proactively acknowledging egregious error, as they did in case #1, but not in case #2. Now, here, recently, we see Chatt fans saying the Ref/Refs in the Chatt @ Furman game were terminated, just as the White Hat in the Samford @ Furman game was. Not true as far as FUBeAR knows. All 2nd half targeting calls are routinely appealed. Many of them are overturned to let the kids play the following week. Despite the gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes, it was a judgement call. Read the language of the targeting rule. Coulda gone either way. VERY, VERY VERY different from the actively constructed fiasco we all witnessed in the Samford @ Furman game…no matter how frequently or loudly anyone wants to claim otherwise. The lack of equivalence in response from the SoCon confirms this, but keep on IMAGINING things that are not true. You might start imagining yourself wearing blue and yellow soon.

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2022, 06:30 PM
You know each of us will certainly have our own viewpoint on things that affect our team. Some will see the incident in the Furman vs Samford game as unfair to Furman. I have always stated it was a horrible call. Noone, however, can predict what would have happened if it had not occurred. The premise that it determined the final outcome is certainly presumptuous. So is the assumption that it had no effect on the Furman performance. IOW, there is just no way to actually know what would have happened if this call had not taken place. All are welcome to guess as they may. if you want to say it hurt the Furman kids, fine. I will also suggest that our Samford players deserve better than to be questioned about winning a game that they played so well in, IMO, it is long past time to stop beating this dead horse.

What we need now is a united front to get behind FUBeAR's efforts promoting the conference. I applaud him for being the "Johnny Appleseed" of the SoCon.

Mocs123
November 2nd, 2022, 06:36 PM
No,no official has been fired that I know of, I just noticed the irony of your comment and decided to play it. While both the "targeting" call and the no PI call where the Furman DB pulled the DB down blatantly that resulted in an INT should have given the Mocs the ball at the 26 and the 7 yard line respectively. The calls were as bad as the Samford game, but the white hat didn't overturn the replay booth (which I find absurd - as the replay booth has access to multiple angles and slo-motion). I guess it's still up to the judgement of the official looking at it, but I'd think they would always have a better look than an official on the field watching it in real speed.

The thing that enraged me about the "targeting" play - wasn't the targeting call itself - that is indeed a judgement call. (I didn't think it was targeting but that's just me, and nobody pays me to be a ref). It was the fact that they took the ball away from the Mocs after the INT. Even if the call stood, it should have been Mocs ball at the 41 rather than the 26.

That being said, I'm not saying those plays changed the course of the game. Sure the Mocs could have scored on both those possessions, or they could have fumbled or threw a (legitimate) INT on the next play. Championship teams find a way to win when they face adversity - say they are down a key offensive player, or the officiating doesn't go their way. We didn't win. I'd love a rematch in the playoffs.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2022, 06:40 PM
I applaud him [FUbEAR] for being the "Johnny Appleseed" of the SoCon.

Johnny Appleseed? Ok, but sometimes he comes off as PT Barnum.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2022, 07:55 PM
@SU DOG - Please review anything FUBeAR has written about the egregious officiating debacle that occurred in the Samford @ Furman game and let FUBeAR know if you find any specific commentary about how said debacle did or even might have affected the outcome of the game. Will be quite surprised if you can find a single comment. If you are inferring that FUBeAR is implying the outcome of the game may have changed if not for the fiasco the now-terminated White Hat foisted upon everyone involved with or attending that game, then you are free to infer whatever you wish. It was a travesty and it had an indeterminable impact on the game and, thus, on the outcome of the game. That is FUBeAR’s full statement and true thoughts. But, again, feel free to infer whatever you wish and even to imagine and publish your inferred thoughts. The same indeterminable impact goes for Furman not having their Starting QB available for the game. When discussing Furman’s wins & losses in 2022, specifically the loss to Samford, we should no more fail to mention the unprecedented officiating failure / malfeasance than we should the FU QB situation. It is not a “dead horse.” It is, quite to the contrary, part of the story of Furman’s season to date. Would you talk about the Falcons 1999 Super Bowl loss without mentioning Defensive Leader, Eugene Robinson’s, Saturday night arrest, which, of course, had an indeterminable effect on the outcome of that game? No, of course you wouldn’t. No one does. The never-before-seen Officiating ‘crime’ in the Samford @ Furman game is no different.

@Mocs123 - Doesn’t seem you have a full understanding of what happened in the Samford @ Furman game. Trying not to belabor it, but 1) they called it wrong - SU complete pass … 2) they reviewed and got it right - FU INT … 3) After an extended delay and the white hat listening intently to Coach Hatcher for maybe 10 minutes, the white hat conferred with the replay official to check if “forward progress” of the Receiver had been stopped prior to the INT, 4) white hat then CREATED a complete pass that was ruled down at the spot because SU WR’s forward progress was stopped….PROBLEMS - 1) SU WR never possessed ball 2) No possession, No forward progress 3) Plays don’t end when Forward Progress is stopped. They end on the whistle. 4) Forward progress is not reviewable. So - it wasn’t a bad call. It was an active, intentional violation of replay and football rules to CREATE an outcome that never happened in place of an outcome that did happen and was EXTREMELY disadvantageous for the Team / HC that had just spent 10 minutes in his ear … after the play had been reviewed and a correct ruling announced. Really no comparison to the Chatt @ FU Targeting call, is there?

On to that Targeting call… FUBeAR was on the field. Had a good view. Thought is was going to be called targeting (defenseless & head/neck area applied), but wasn’t sure. Also thought change of possession (INT) occurred BEFORE the targeting, so thought it would still be Chattanooga ball. Watched replay last night - hit was CLEARLY before Chattanooga possessed ball. Not sure if that matters or the INT is just nullified by rule because of penalty - but either way - it shoulda been FU ball. The only thing the Ref’s may have gotten wrong was the targeting call itself - coulda gone either way - happens every weekend. Sux if it’s your Team. Not even sure about the PI call y’all are mad about. Those happen in every game, every week … usually 2 or 3 / game.

@ElCid - not sure bout that, but do know ALL Paladins beat ALL bellhops ALL of the time…that’s a Barnum quote…right?

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2022, 08:46 PM
FUB I wouldn't think of going through all your posts to find exactly what you described. Since I just posted that anyone can infer guess or see anything as they like, I guess we kinda agree on that issue. I will say that what you HAVE stated is evidence that you are an honest man. You did say that "FUBeAR is certainly no Chris Hatcher, but he has been known to beat a dead horse into re-submission on more than a few occasions." YES you are definitely a champion dead horse beater, LOL!

The Cats
November 2nd, 2022, 09:05 PM

UpstateBison
November 2nd, 2022, 09:22 PM
Johnny Appleseed? Ok, but sometimes he comes off as PT Barnum.

What are the best non conference wins this year for Samford, Chat, Mercer and Furman in the FCS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123
November 3rd, 2022, 03:57 AM
What are the best non conference wins this year for Samford, Chat, Mercer and Furman in the FCS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO - Not a great year for good SoCon OOC games. We do play everyone in our conference, so we only have room for two FCS OOC games per year (unless it's a 12-game year)

Samford - vs. Kennesaw State, @ Tennessee Tech
Chattanooga - @Eastern Illinois, @North Alabama
Mercer - vs Morehead State, @ Gardner Webb
Furman - @ Charleston Southern, vs. North Greenville (D2)

As for Chattanooga we have upcoming series scheduled with Jacksonville St, Kennesaw State, and Austin Peay. We play North Alabama again next year as the last game in a 4-game contract. I'm not sure what will happen with the JSU and KSU contracts now that they are moving up and would never come to Chattanooga. I'm assuming they won't happen, and we'll be looking for replacement games. We're running out of quality FCS programs in the Southeast that aren't in the SoCon. Chattanooga has historically played a lot of OOC games vs. OVC teams - geographically it makes sense. A lot of the SoCon teams on the eastern side of the Appalachians tend to play a lot of Big South OOC games.

PaladinNation
November 3rd, 2022, 06:26 AM
Not intending to beat a dead horse but Cally Chizik's personal foul call on a tipped incomplete pass kept what would be a Chatty scoring drive alive. Speaking of Cally Chizik, he's not a starter for Furman thus he'll never be mentioned as one of the SoCon's top players. If there were a 12th man award… Cally deserves it. In the Chatty game alone he single-handedly blew up the Moc razzle-dazzle play, as well as knocked the 4th down pass away to cement the win.

Tyler Huff… I thought this season the DINS would be led by Jace Wilson at QB. I felt the coaches played Huff too soon at the Citadel. I was wrong. As fans many of us felt Justin Roper was limiting the Furman offense, Huff took a big hit to his shoulder at ETSU, before injuring his elbow at CSU. Huff's running ability shouldn't have taken the Mocs by surprise-he made some impressive runs against the Clemson defense. I will add that for some reason a lot of the voices out their in FCS land pee'd over Furman's performance against Clemson, and felt like it was meh!

This is all new for Tyler. He made the comment after the Chatty game that he's never been a part of something like that—locker room celebration after a big win. The bye week came at a perfect time for Furman. They will need it to heal and refresh and get ready to battle the Bears in Macon next week.

Mocs123
November 3rd, 2022, 06:34 AM
Chizik is a good player for sure. The Mocs recruited and offered him if I remember correctly.

kdinva
November 3rd, 2022, 09:11 AM
UTC 31; The Citadel 24
Samford 38; VMI 17
WCU 35; Wofford 26

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2022, 10:04 AM
FUBeAR’s Picks

Away
Home
Time
Truth

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
2P
These Mocs have a well-documented history of quitting when things don’t go exactly their way. These bellhops were the primary beneficiaries of this TrainBirdSnakeShoe character flaw last year. Things did NOT go the Mocs way in Travelers Rest last week. They got whooped by a better Furman Team and every call didn’t go exactly their way. The whining, crying, and imagined-victory cries came rolling down from the Scenic City as expected. Except one thing surprised FUBeAR this week. Coach Wright stood up at his weekly press conference and said, essentially, ‘we got beat by a very good Football Team that played better than we did.’ SHOCKING WORDS coming from anyone associated with Chattanooga Football. That is certainly NOT what he said after Mercer whipped their a$$e$ in Macon last year. Learning from past mistakes and leadership matters. For these reasons, Chatt will avoid the SulkyStumbling PetulantlyPoorPerformance this week, but it won’t be easy.

FINAL SCORE: Chattanooga 21 - The Citadel 13

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
2P
Have not had an opportunity to watch replay of ETSU @ Woffy yet, so this is really a blind pick. The outcome of that game was a big surprise. If FUBeAR were rating D’s on a 10 point scale, he would have given ETSU a 7 or 8 and WCU a 3 or 4. If Woffy can hang 40+ on ETSU, how can WCU’s D be expected to stop the LittleDogs? Don’t think they can. Gotta go with the hot Team here…

FINAL SCORE: Wofford 41 - WCU 38

https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_samford.png?width=30Samford (http://www.samfordsports.com/)
3P
Keydets have lost all their hop. Samford is rolling. While it would be easy for them to look ahead to SoCon Championship-type games vs. Chatt and Mercer in the next 2 weeks, they are talented enough to win this one fairly easily.

FINAL SCORE: Samford 56 - VMI 24

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS
No changes in the GOT’s & NOT’s classifications, but the ‘test score’ that came back this week tells us that Chattanooga, while truly an outstanding Team, only has a 1-car garage and if the Ford’s engine won’t crank, their soft leather shoes are not durable enough and their snake bite loses a lot of its venom. FUBeAR thinks Chatt, can (and will) quickly learn to diversify their offense and, even if their #1 vehicle is back hittin’ on all cylinders next week, they still will be a better Team, come playoff time, from the lesson they learned at the hands of the mighty Paladins - the lesson that sent the TrainBirds back to 4th place…for now.

NOT’s - Who had Woffy as the ‘Best of the Not’s’ on their bingo card? How hard is Josh Conklin pulling for Kerwin Bell this week?

GOT’s
1t.Furman (5-1, 7-2 (#5 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
1t. Mercer (5-1, 7-2 (FBS P5 SEC loss, Top 10 FCS loss))
4. Chattanooga (4-1, 6-2 (#17 in FBS P5 B1G loss, Loss to FCS that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Top 10))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. Wofford (2-3, 2-6)
6. ETSU (1-6, 3-6)
7. CIT (2-4, 2-6)
8. WCU (1-4, 3-5)
9. VMI (0-5, 1-7)

Mocs123
November 3rd, 2022, 10:15 AM

Not I. A few weeks ago I'd written the Terriers 2022 season off.....It's too late for a playoff spot but suddenly they appear to have life.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2022, 12:10 PM
I can't really weigh in on the socon race, but to beat a dead horse, Wofford sucked the last 20 or so games because of Conklin. I know that sounds reductive and excuse making, but it's hard to understate how much life he sucked out of the program. I won't share details (I probably only know a fraction anyway)

On offense and the X's and O's perspective, you can see something beyond player spirit changed in the last couple of weeks. Shawn Watson is a good offensive coach, and from what I hear, revered in the industry. It seems like Conklin has a cap on whatever we were doing on that side of things.

Our defense is better than the performance we put together last week, not that it matters. I thought starting 0-6 was likely, but I didn't truly believe it would happen. I feel the same way about Wofford finishing 5-6.

To be clear, I don't believe Wofford would be a playoff contender sans Conklin this season. We are a flawed team and probably need a new OL coach. I expect us to win more games this year and eventually find an identity, but I didn't expect it to be so night and day once Conklin was let go.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that a 4-7 finish, pending on how we play Furman, could have my interest in SW getting the job.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2022, 05:50 PM
FUBeAR’s Picks

Away
Home
Time
Truth

2P
These Mocs have a well-documented history of quitting when things don’t go exactly their way. These bellhops were the primary beneficiaries of this TrainBirdSnakeShoe character flaw last year. Things did NOT go the Mocs way in Travelers Rest last week. They got whooped by a better Furman Team and every call didn’t go exactly their way. The whining, crying, and imagined-victory cries came rolling down from the Scenic City as expected. Except one thing surprised FUBeAR this week. Coach Wright stood up at his weekly press conference and said, essentially, ‘we got beat by a very good Football Team that played better than we did.’ SHOCKING WORDS coming from anyone associated with Chattanooga Football. That is certainly NOT what he said after Mercer whipped their a$$e$ in Macon last year. Learning from past mistakes and leadership matters. For these reasons, Chatt will avoid the SulkyStumbling PetulantlyPoorPerformance this week, but it won’t be easy.

FINAL SCORE: Chattanooga 21 - The Citadel 13

2P
Have not had an opportunity to watch replay of ETSU @ Woffy yet, so this is really a blind pick. The outcome of that game was a big surprise. If FUBeAR were rating D’s on a 10 point scale, he would have given ETSU a 7 or 8 and WCU a 3 or 4. If Woffy can hang 40+ on ETSU, how can WCU’s D be expected to stop the LittleDogs? Don’t think they can. Gotta go with the hot Team here…

FINAL SCORE: Wofford 41 - WCU 38

3P
Keydets have lost all their hop. Samford is rolling. While it would be easy for them to look ahead to SoCon Championship-type games vs. Chatt and Mercer in the next 2 weeks, they are talented enough to win this one fairly easily.

FINAL SCORE: Samford 56 - VMI 24

FUBeAR’s POWER RANKINGS

GOT’s
1t.Furman (5-1, 7-2 (#5 in FBS P5 ACC loss, Asterisked loss to highly-ranked FCS))
1t. Mercer (5-1, 7-2 (FBS P5 SEC loss, Top 10 FCS loss))
———————————————
NOT’s
5. Wofford (2-3, 2-6)
6. ETSU (1-6, 3-6)
7. CIT (2-4, 2-6)
8. WCU (1-4, 3-5)
9. VMI (0-5, 1-7)

When Fubie...a FURPLE through and through picks the ankle yappers....WHAT???? Ha must have some inside knowledge.....

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2022, 09:04 PM
When Fubie...a FURPLE through and through picks the ankle yappers....WHAT???? Ha must have some inside knowledge.....
No inside scoop. Just goin’ with the obvious.

Obviously Kerwin Bell, his job already in jeopardy, would have hired Josh Conklin, on a 2 week contract, in order to tap into all of his inside in depth knowledge about the YardBarkers’ Offensive & Defensive schemes. But, it’s become fairly obvious, Conklin had no knowledge of those things, and also become obvious that he could, um, how best to say…um….f up, um, one of those, um, nighttime brain activity periods with, um, nocturnal emission. So…yeah…gotta go with the DeConklined LittleYappers over the believed-to-be-Conklin-infused Cantamounts.

Makes sense, right?

…and not sure why a Furman Fan would be reluctant to pick Wofford. We’ve always been supportive of the smaller NAIA programs in the area.

PaladinNation
November 4th, 2022, 05:10 AM
Chizik is a good player for sure. The Mocs recruited and offered him if I remember correctly.

I forgot about that you're right.
Chizik's decision came down to Furman, Chattanooga, and I think playing baseball at Auburn.

kdinva
November 4th, 2022, 09:00 AM
…and not sure why a Furman Fan would be reluctant to pick Wofford. We’ve always been supportive of the smaller NAIA programs in the area.

xslapfightx

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Conroy's quote in "My losing season" about Wofford, Newberry, etc should be an eternal dig by all Furman and Citadel fans. I'll find it later today.

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Conroy's quote in "My losing season" about Wofford, Newberry, etc should be an eternal dig by all Furman and Citadel fans. I'll find it later today.
Conroy > FUBeAR?

https://media.tenor.com/fWHm7ew5okEAAAAC/no-way-never.gif

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Conroy > FUBeAR?

https://media.tenor.com/fWHm7ew5okEAAAAC/no-way-never.gif

To borrow from Slim Pickens as Taggart.... "you use your tongue prettier than a 20 dollar whore"....but when it comes to word-smithing, you ain't no Conroy!

OrangeAndBlack
November 4th, 2022, 07:51 PM
UTC 41, Citadel 3

Wofford 33, WCU 24

VMI 6, Samford 45

Terrierific
November 4th, 2022, 10:06 PM
UTC
WCU - 9 straight road losses for the little dogs, Catamounts will probably make it 10.
Samford

Milktruck74
November 5th, 2022, 07:56 AM
UTC 41, Citadel 3

Wofford 33, WCU 24

VMI 6, Samford 45

I'd be fine with these scores, but I'm not so sure my Mocs have 41 in them this week. You will probably see quite a few youngins on the offense this week to rest up/heal up some of the playmakers. And it is Citadel, but they are averaging 10+ points a game....

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2022, 08:35 AM
…probably see quite a few youngins on the offense this week to rest up/heal up some of the playmakers.
Welp, we’ve all witnessed this kind of ish be a giant fail strategy for Chatt before. Thought they had learnt some hard lessons from those inexplicable hubris-driven actions, but MT always has the inside scoop from MocWorld.

FUBeAR may have to change his pick…

Milktruck74
November 5th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Welp, we’ve all witnessed this kind of ish be a giant fail strategy for Chatt before. Thought they had learnt some hard lessons from those inexplicable hubris-driven actions, but MT always has the inside scoop from MocWorld.

FUBeAR may have to change his pick…

No inside scoop here. Just a hunch. The Mocs have played a few very physical games in the past few weeks and have some guys that could use a break...Unlike feilding an entire JV squad in a farce of a season....This will be sparingly/strategically placing fodder in harms way!!! ha.

SU DOG
November 5th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Not sure how it will affect the game, but terrible weather is forecast for VMI @ Samford today.

OrangeAndBlack
November 5th, 2022, 01:23 PM
I'd be fine with these scores, but I'm not so sure my Mocs have 41 in them this week. You will probably see quite a few youngins on the offense this week to rest up/heal up some of the playmakers. And it is Citadel, but they are averaging 10+ points a game....

Well it’s 7-0 citadel to start the game. My prediction is already busted on the defensive side!

rtzlunar
November 5th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Weather delay at Samford?

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Wofford up 14-12 on Western at half. Wofford drove the field in a minute to score a touchdown with 3 seconds left. Kyle Pinnix, backup QB caught the pass. What a play. Two clutch catches by him on that drive. Wofford receives ball at beginning of second half.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2022, 03:27 PM
If it helps any of us feel better, the Refs in the Tennessee @ Georgia game just SoCon-ed a Call/Review. Went with “call stands” - which was absolutely wrong. 2 other ‘options’ were possibly correct, but definitely NOT “call stands.” Screwed Georgia out of a Safety.

Dawgs rec’d Punt & scored a TD pass the next play though. Winning 14-3 in 1st.

kdinva
November 5th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Weather delay at Samford?

25 minutes, it's halftime, VMI up 12-7. VMI controlling the clock (22 minutes), but only four FG.

OrangeAndBlack
November 5th, 2022, 03:56 PM
How bad is the weather at Samford? It’s 12-7, VMI leading at the half!

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2022, 04:06 PM
“Learning from past mistakes and leadership matters. For these reasons, Chatt will avoid the SulkyStumbling PetulantlyPoorPerformance this week, but it won’t be easy.

FINAL SCORE: Chattanooga 21 - The Citadel 13”

Chattanooga - Ailym Ford Stats
Rushing
Att 29
Yds Gain 137
Net 130

Receptions 3
Yards 67

If Ford doesn’t play, Chatt loses that game by 10+

The Cats
November 5th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Western wins...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg1JDaxWAAAedaO?format=jpg&name=large

kdinva
November 5th, 2022, 05:42 PM
VMI played damn fine football.....for 44 minutes. After Rice's 5th FG gave VMI a 15-14 lead, Sammy hits a 70 yard bomb, got all the momentum, win 34-15

rtzlunar
November 5th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Not sure how it will affect the game, but terrible weather is forecast for VMI @ Samford today.

SUDog if you are coming to Chattanooga next week I owe you a beer. I was going to bet $300 on Citadel +20.5 against the Mocs. When I read your post I looked at the radar on Weather,com for Birmingham and decided to add under 59.5 points for the Samford/VMI game into a parlay. So instead of winning $300 I won $793. Thank you sir.

The Cats
November 5th, 2022, 06:10 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1588991764475817984

SU DOG
November 5th, 2022, 11:13 PM
SUDog if you are coming to Chattanooga next week I owe you a beer. I was going to bet $300 on Citadel +20.5 against the Mocs. When I read your post I looked at the radar on Weather,com for Birmingham and decided to add under 59.5 points for the Samford/VMI game into a parlay. So instead of winning $300 I won $793. Thank you sir.

Glad I could be of service. LOL!

SU DOG
November 5th, 2022, 11:20 PM
VMI played damn fine football.....for 44 minutes. After Rice's 5th FG gave VMI a 15-14 lead, Sammy hits a 70 yard bomb, got all the momentum, win 34-15

Complete respect from me towards these VMI guys. They were fired up and ready to play for the upset. I admired the way they delivered blows and hustled their guts out. Hard to believe they have played like this previously. Impressive.

Mocs123
November 6th, 2022, 03:30 AM
“Learning from past mistakes and leadership matters. For these reasons, Chatt will avoid the SulkyStumbling PetulantlyPoorPerformance this week, but it won’t be easy.

FINAL SCORE: Chattanooga 21 - The Citadel 13”

Chattanooga - Ailym Ford Stats
Rushing
Att 29
Yds Gain 137
Net 130

Receptions 3
Yards 67

If Ford doesn’t play, Chatt loses that game by 10+

I can see that, especially since Preston Hutchinson didn't have his best game. I assume then you then the Mocs would have won by 6+ if Ford had played last week?

Mocs123
November 6th, 2022, 12:34 PM
Complete respect from me towards these VMI guys. They were fired up and ready to play for the upset. I admired the way they delivered blows and hustled their guts out. Hard to believe they have played like this previously. Impressive.

Agree. They didn't play like that this year, but that's how I felt when we played the Keydets last year. They just fought and clawed their way to the win....that and Jerry Rice, or whatever their kickers name is has ice in his veins.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious why The Citadel had their homecoming game against Chattanooga and not UV-Lynchburg this week?

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2022, 12:41 PM
I can see that, especially since Preston Hutchinson didn't have his best game. I assume then you then the Mocs would have won by 6+ if Ford had played last week?
LOL - No. Not hardly.

Furman’s Defensive Front is a constellation better than the bellhop front. The Paladins’ D whips Chatt’s all-FBS Transfers O-Line, holds the SnakeBirdShoes to under 100 yards rushing, and stones FordFiesta…just like they did with AppleJack in the lineup.

….but never stop IMAGINING! It’s y’all’s essence!!

…but that does bring up a question in FUBeAR’s mind…Anyone else find it odd that…

1) Ford had 22 Rushing Attempts vs. Mercer, including an Attempt with about 2 minutes remaining in the game and left the field without any sign of distress

2) Ford is so badly injured he doesn’t even make the trip to Furman, for what is known to be a HUGE game with SoCon Championship & significant Playoff implications, with the Mocs Team the following week

3) a week later, Ford takes the 1st Carry against CIT followed by 28 other Rushing Attempts, including the Mocs final ‘real’ Rushing Attempt with about 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter

4) Ford was said to have a “lower body injury” which kept him from traveling to Furman, yet vs. CIT there are no noticeable extra braces, wraps, pads, or tape on any of his lower body parts.

May be of no interest and nothing to it, but FUBeAR just gets puzzled when things don’t seem to ‘line up.’ Call him a “conspiracy theorist” or an “injury denier” if you like. He just prefers to think of himself as having a healthy curiosity.

Mocs123
November 6th, 2022, 01:16 PM
LOL - No. Not hardly.

Just trying to apply some logic to your assumption there :D

Mocs123
November 6th, 2022, 01:22 PM
…but that does bring up a question in FUBeAR’s mind…Anyone else find it odd that…

1) Ford had 22 Rushing Attempts vs. Mercer, including an Attempt with about 2 minutes remaining in the game and left the field without any sign of distress

2) Ford is so badly injured he doesn’t even make the trip to Furman, for what is known to be a HUGE game with SoCon Championship & significant Playoff implications, with the Mocs Team the following week

3) a week later, Ford takes the 1st Carry against CIT followed by 28 other Rushing Attempts, including the Mocs final ‘real’ Rushing Attempt with about 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter

4) Ford was said to have a “lower body injury” which kept him from traveling to Furman, yet vs. CIT there are no noticeable extra braces, wraps, pads, or tape on any of his lower body parts.

May be of no interest and nothing to it, but FUBeAR just gets puzzled when things don’t seem to ‘line up.’ Call him a “conspiracy theorist” or an “injury denier” if you like. He just prefers to think of himself as having a healthy curiosity.

No inside knowledge here, but it looked to me that Ford came up gimpy chasing down the Mercer DB on the interception that was called back due to defensive PI - Impressive speed and effort by Ford - BTW. It looked to me like he tweaked a hamstring a bit? It looked to me that he aggravated it again against the Citadel on the long screen pass he caught. Hopefully he's fine as we'll need him 100% for a tough Samford team this week.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Just trying to apply some logic to your assumption there :D

Hmmm…Does this help?

Furman’s Defensive Front is a constellation better than the bellhop front. The Paladins’ D whips Chatt’s all-FBS Transfers O-Line, holds the SnakeBirdShoes to under 100 yards rushing, and stones FordFiesta…just like they did with AppleJack in the lineup.

OK…FUBeAR will be nice… The logic is…it doesn’t matter if your QB is Tom Brady or Marsha Brady if the QB is sacked shortly after the snap. Apply that to Chatt’s RB situation vs. FU’s D-Front, as opposed to CIT’s D-Front, and you should be able to follow the logic bread crumbs. Yes?

Mocs123
November 6th, 2022, 01:34 PM
Hmmm…Does this help?

OK…FUBeAR will be nice… The logic is…it doesn’t matter if your QB is Tom Brady or Marsha Brady if the QB is sacked shortly after the snap. Apply that to Chatt’s RB situation vs. FU’s D-Front, as opposed to CIT’s D-Front, and you should be able to follow the logic bread crumbs. Yes?

So you're saying that Furman's D-Line is significantly better than Mercer's who gave up 120+ to Ford the week before? The Bears defense looked pretty good to me.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2022, 01:43 PM
No inside knowledge here, but it looked to me that Ford came up gimpy chasing down the Mercer DB on the interception that was called back due to defensive PI - Impressive speed and effort by Ford - BTW. It looked to me like he tweaked a hamstring a bit? It looked to me that he aggravated it again against the Citadel on the long screen pass he caught. Hopefully he's fine as we'll need him 100% for a tough Samford team this week.
Ford had a carry for 17 yards on the very next play after the non-interception and 3 more carries after that. EDIT: Went back and watched the replay. That was Hutchinson’s 17 yard run that Chatt’s play-by-play has attributed to Ford…but Ford did have 4 more carries and showed no signs of injury, either after chasing down the INT Return or the rest of the game.

This is what a hamstring injury looks like…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLyoaKeFcQ4

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2022, 01:46 PM
you're saying that Furman's D-Line is significantly better than Mercer's
Please highlight where you see the word “Mercer” in the text that FUBeAR typed in the referenced post.