PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past: snow game Bucknell at Lafayette Oct 29, 2011

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2022, 08:59 AM
A wet snow of a good 8 inches fell during the day for the evening game in Easton PA. I got there just after 1st quarter dodging fallen trees primarily on Rt 29 in NJ. I heard later Tavani was trying to get game postponed. It went off with probably a mere 200 fans there. Bucknell won pretty easily. A year later Sandy hit my summer condo on LBI - 10 years ago today.

NY Crusader 2010
October 29th, 2022, 09:21 AM
A wet snow of a good 8 inches fell during the day for the evening game in Easton PA. I got there just after 1st quarter dodging fallen trees primarily on Rt 29 in NJ. I heard later Tavani was trying to get game postponed. It went off with probably a mere 200 fans there. Bucknell won pretty easily. A year later Sandy hit my summer condo on LBI - 10 years ago today.

I remember this. Fordham got absolutely destroyed at West Point that day 55-0 in the heavy snow. I think the Cadets approached 600 rushing yards.

Youngsters in the Northeast got hosed with 2 straight years of Halloween being cancelled. First, because of the snowstorm and then because of Sandy the next year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2022, 09:26 AM
I was in Hamilton, NY for the Lehigh vs Colgate game. Weirdly, the weather wasn't bad there! Didn't really hit snow until we were near the PA border around Binghamton. Lehigh's campus was without power for several days which compromised the Mountain Hawk's preparation for the HC game the following week.

I attended the Cowboys at Eagles Sunday nighter the following day. I still remember some snow in Philly which was crazy for October!

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2022, 10:49 AM
I remember this. Fordham got absolutely destroyed at West Point that day 55-0 in the heavy snow. I think the Cadets approached 600 rushing yards.

Youngsters in the Northeast got hosed with 2 straight years of Halloween being cancelled. First, because of the snowstorm and then because of Sandy the next year.

Yep - remember hearing that too

Pards Rule
October 29th, 2022, 10:51 AM
I was in Hamilton, NY for the Lehigh vs Colgate game. Weirdly, the weather wasn't bad there! Didn't really hit snow until we were near the PA border around Binghamton. Lehigh's campus was without power for several days which compromised the Mountain Hawk's preparation for the HC game the following week.

I attended the Cowboys at Eagles Sunday nighter the following day. I still remember some snow in Philly which was crazy for October!

Yeah it started literally around Trenton. I have a great picture of a house on Rt 611 in Riegelsville PA all decked out in Halloween with snow coming back Sunday. I went with my nephew and didnt want to chance driving back with trees crashing and checked around pre smart phone days for hotels - all booked by transients and locals without power. I called a travel agent I dealt with and he found the last room at the new Bethlehem Sands!!

CHIP72
October 29th, 2022, 11:53 AM
FWIW, that was also the date of Joe Paterno’s last win at Penn State. The Jerry Sandusky scandal broke the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2022, 11:58 AM
FWIW, that was also the date of Joe Paterno’s last win at Penn State. The Jerry Sandusky scandal broke the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! The story broke the next day or that Monday which caused an absolute circus in State College. I was making my first trip to North Dakota and Montana the entire week so being so far removed from PA at such a crazy time was a bit "weird". The escalation of events from the conclusion of the game Saturday until Paterno's formal termination was unprecedented imo....