PDA

View Full Version : What is Cullowhee like?

woffordgrad94
October 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
OK, so unless there's heavy rain, I've decided to go to the game tomorrow night after all. I need some info on Cullowhee. Is there anything there in the way of restaurants, etc, or is it pretty much just a mountain whistle stop?

boonegoon
October 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Have you heard of "Kudzu"? No, really there ain't a whole lot there

catamount man
October 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cullowhee itself is an unincorporated village and it is mainly the university and surrounding businesses on or near the campus. Sylva, 6 miles north of Cullowhee and WCU, is a nice town with lots of restaurants/bars and the like.

Cullowhee is pretty despite what my boone goon friend has to say. Enjoy your trip, have a safe drive, but........GO CATS!!!xthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds good, Catamount man. Thanks.

Appaholic
October 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Think of Vegas................circa 1885

Jiggs
October 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Went to Samford v. WCU a few years ago. Ate and drank at some joint in Sylva that was pretty good.

catamount man
October 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Went to Samford v. WCU a few years ago. Ate and drank at some joint in Sylva that was pretty good.

Would that be O'Malley's bar and grill? Samford may be in the 'whee next year and if so, hope you can make the trip.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

woffordgrad94
October 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
One more question- Are there a lot of hot girls in the 'Whee? :D xthumbsupx

Old Montana State Grad
October 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Brevard has more to offer. There's even a decent fish camp restaurant there.

woffordgrad94
October 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
How far is Cullowhee from Brevard?

catamount man
October 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM

About 51 miles. Leave Cullowhee, go down 107 South 23 miles to Cashiers and then take US 64 East 28 miles to Brevard, home of Hawg Wild BBQ. GOOD STUFF!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appaholic
October 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Yes, but they bring them back in the barn before game time typically.....:D

catamount man
October 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, but they bring them back in the barn before game time typically.....:D

Believe me friend, I can say the same about App girls!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Old Montana State Grad
October 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Depends on which road you take; the parkway's a nice drive this time of year but you can take a straight shot and it's only 25 or 30 miles (remember, I live in Montana again, so distance is relative).

KiddBrewer
October 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Believe me friend, I can say the same about App girls!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

i used to could have said that about app girls too....but......the last two years have really turned this place around in the hot girl category...its rather good now, i promise

T-Dog
October 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Last year when I went it looked a bit desolate. The football stadium is nice though. The town of Cullowhee in itself isn't anything special.....at all, but the surrounding areas aren't that bad.

Death Dealer
October 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Sylva has some a couple of good restaurants. There is a pizza place on main street there that has some pretty good pie and lots of cold beer. There is also a sweet music store across the street with tons of great used and bootleg music available. They also have a great hot dog joint down there in the whee, but I can't remember the name of it. CatMan, can you help us out with that?

Oh, and bring your fly rod, the Tuck is right there and full of big fat trout.xnodx

appfan2008
October 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
If anyone remembers apps game at wcu last year (it poured like it did for noah!) I had to visit the walmart in Sylva on my way back to boone to buy some new clothes bc it was so wet... so at least they have that

Appaholic
October 24th, 2007, 10:57 PM
If anyone remembers apps game at wcu last year (it poured like it did for noah!) I had to visit the walmart in Sylva on my way back to boone to buy some new clothes bc it was so wet... so at least they have that

That rain was of biblical proportions.......I was sick for a week....

T-Dog
October 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM
That rain was of biblical proportions.......I was sick for a week....

Thankfully I didn't get sick. It poured so damn hard that first half.

Here's my pics from that during a break in the rain.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/100_0124.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/100_0125.jpg

Appaholic
October 24th, 2007, 11:44 PM

How odd.......App is about to score......again......xeyebrowx

SuperJon
October 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Granted, I'm only going on pictures from Facebook from people I know at Western, but from what I've seen, yes.

terrierbob
October 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
About 51 miles. Leave Cullowhee, go down 107 South 23 miles to Cashiers and then take US 64 East 28 miles to Brevard, home of Hawg Wild BBQ. GOOD STUFF!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

So it's close to Highlands, too.

catamount man
October 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/100_0124.jpg

If you look at the 50 yard line and go straight up and over about 2-3 seats on the top row, you can make me out. I had on a white WCU shirt and purple jacket and I'm sitting down on this play(which is rare). Yep, that's me.

Noah would've proud of the rain that hit Cullowhee that day. It was a miserable ride back down the mountains due to the loss and the fact that my body was a chilly shriveled prune. HA!!!

catamount man
October 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
So it's close to Highlands, too.

Cashiers, yes. Brevard, no. When you get to Cashiers, you go east towards Hendersonville to get to Brevard. Highlands is 10 miles west of Cashiers on Hwy 64 heading towards Franklin. When in Highlands, bring your checkbook.xeekx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

citdog
October 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
if i had a year to live i would move to the Whee because every day seems like an eternity!

boonegoon
October 25th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Cullowhee itself is an unincorporated village and it is mainly the university and surrounding businesses on or near the campus. Sylva, 6 miles north of Cullowhee and WCU, is a nice town with lots of restaurants/bars and the like.

Cullowhee is pretty despite what my boone goon friend has to say. Enjoy your trip, have a safe drive, but........GO CATS!!!xthumbsupx

Just being a little silly. Like it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it rained cats and dogs that day. Oh wait, it might again today. :D xrolleyesx

AppGirl
October 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I had been sick and ended up listening to the 2nd half in the car to avoid pneumonia. The wind was also blowing so hard that one of our kick-offs made it through the up-rights.
Man was that weather miserable.

catamount man
October 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I had been sick and ended up listening to the 2nd half in the car to avoid pneumonia. The wind was also blowing so hard that one of our kick-offs made it through the up-rights.
Man was that weather miserable.

You said it. I was in the parking lot in the 2nd half drinking beer listening to the game with a fellow Cat fan and his brother who is an App alum believe it or not.

We drank a LOT out in the parking lot trying to get warm, listening to the game on the radio. Didn't help! HA!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appaholic
October 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM
You said it. I was in the parking lot in the 2nd half drinking beer listening to the game with a fellow Cat fan and his brother who is an App alum believe it or not.

We drank a LOT out in the parking lot trying to get warm, listening to the game on the radio. Didn't help! HA!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The wierd thing was...wasn't it sunny and warm during pre-game tailgating....I mean that storm popped up out of nowhere and you're right, it wasn't just the rain, but the wind and dropping temperatureas.....I truly felt soaked through and through and really was chilled to the bone....guess that's why I got sick.....well that, and shotgunning Maxx Select beer didn't help either.....

catamount man
October 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
It was cloudy all day, but it was mild all during tailgating. Say about 64 degrees or so. But come kickoff, the heavens opened and I was soaked within 5 minutes and when it finally quit, that's when the cool air came in and settled.

GO CATS!!!

BigApp
October 25th, 2007, 11:30 AM
OK, so unless there's heavy rain, I've decided to go to the game tomorrow night after all. I need some info on Cullowhee. Is there anything there in the way of restaurants, etc, or is it pretty much just a mountain whistle stop?

(being honest here)

First time I took my wife there, she said: "This looks like a community college!"

She thought we were making a 'pit stop' stopping along the way...

If you want excitement, better bring it with you. xlolx xthumbsupx xlolx

Jiggs
October 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Would that be O'Malley's bar and grill? Samford may be in the 'whee next year and if so, hope you can make the trip.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Yes, I believe that was O'Malley's. I hope the Dogs are in the 'whee next year. I will definitely make the trip to see another Dogs vs. Cats matchup. We have a getaway place in Linville, so I am looking forward to making some road trips to Cullowhee, Boone, etc.

The Cats
October 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM
(being honest here)

First time I took my wife there, she said: "This looks like a community college!"

being honest here...... I guess your wife doesn't get out much, huh?

Maybe she just doesn't know what a community college looks like.

But if this looks like a community college, so be it.......

http://www.zotke.net/wcu.gif

http://laredofarmmhp.com/db5/00447/laredofarmmhp.com/_uimages/WesternCarolinaUniversity.bmp

CharlestonAppFan
October 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I actually spent 2 years up there, before I realized that it wasn't the place for me xoopsx and transferred to ASU (thank god;) ). I worked at O'Malley's when it first opened up and it was packed every night, cause it was the only place decent enough to drink beer (besides the frat houses - yes, I'm a Sig Ep from up there).

I think it was called Bailey's, the old garage and auto shop converted into a pool hall/dance club/bar for bands, that I went to a lot also...don't think it's still open though.

There was a couple of restaurants down the street, an italian place and another pizza place and the mexican place, that weren't half bad either. Sylva isn't the biggest place around, so ask and see what the locals have to say about it. I haven't been back in about 7 years now, so I know it's changed.

There wasn't anything in Cullowhee besides the local pizza shop and of course Bob's convenience store when I was there. Is Bob's still there Catamount man? If you go past the football stadium, believe me, there is nothing there for miles except trees and a big mountain....

BigApp
October 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
being honest here...... I guess your wife doesn't get out much, huh?

well, we were living in Asheville at the time...

ASUG8
October 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Waynesville is only 20-25 min away, my hometown. Quaint town with some decent places to eat - Angelo's pizza is some of the best I've had. Very cool, eclectic downtown area.

WUTNDITWAA
October 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Cullowhee: Like New York...But not.

BigApp
October 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
What is Cullowhee like?

http://ian.winprog.org/tumbleweed.jpg